Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: NCIS: Los Angeles

MostlyC
  • Start Topic

Well, for one thing the guy on his own seemed to be rigging something.  But more importantly the show stated that if two LCCs were compromised and working together, they could launch.  The show also made a point that that particular detail is not well known.

I personally hope that particular detail was made up to hand wave the plot, because otherwise my life long comfort in two launch control officers is blown.

• Love 1

Well, for one thing the guy on his own seemed to be rigging something.  But more importantly the show stated that if two LCCs were compromised and working together, they could launch.  The show also made a point that that particular detail is not well known.

It's explained in detail when you tour the facility, so it's pretty well known. Here's a description from wikipedia: "In the case of minuteman missile launch crews, once a launch order is received, both operators must agree that it is valid by comparing the authorization code in the order against a Sealed Authenticator (a special sealed envelope which holds the code). These Sealed Authenticators are stored in a safe which has two separate locks. Each operator has the key to only one lock, so neither can open the safe alone. Also, each operator has one of two launch keys; once the order is verified, they must insert the keys in slots on the control panel and turn them simultaneously. A total of four keys are thus required to initiate a launch. For additional protection, the missile crew in another launch control center must do the same for the missiles to be launched. As a further precaution, the slots for the two launch keys are positioned far enough apart to make it impossible for one operator to reach both of them at once."

When you are in the facility itself they show you where the keys must be turned and it would be extremely difficult to rig something that would let you insert, turn and hold two keys simultaneously. The one I was in had the key ports at least ten feet apart on completely separate walls. I read elsewhere that they have improved on this and made this key thing even harder to do. 

5 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

It's explained in detail when you tour the facility, so it's pretty well known. Here's a description from wikipedia: "In the case of minuteman missile launch crews, once a launch order is received, both operators must agree that it is valid by comparing the authorization code in the order against a Sealed Authenticator (a special sealed envelope which holds the code). These Sealed Authenticators are stored in a safe which has two separate locks. Each operator has the key to only one lock, so neither can open the safe alone. Also, each operator has one of two launch keys; once the order is verified, they must insert the keys in slots on the control panel and turn them simultaneously. A total of four keys are thus required to initiate a launch. For additional protection, the missile crew in another launch control center must do the same for the missiles to be launched. As a further precaution, the slots for the two launch keys are positioned far enough apart to make it impossible for one operator to reach both of them at once."

When you are in the facility itself they show you where the keys must be turned and it would be extremely difficult to rig something that would let you insert, turn and hold two keys simultaneously. The one I was in had the key ports at least ten feet apart on completely separate walls. I read elsewhere that they have improved on this and made this key thing even harder to do. 

Yeah, that part I knew.  The show used the idea that two LCCs (not two LCC officers) working together could coordinate a launch to make the plot work.  That's the part I hope was made up.   Although positioning heavy trucks on top of each silo is a solution that the nefarious Patton group appeared to fail to consider.

Why didn’t the silly FBI just tell the bad guys that launching the missiles would be futile since they had parked trucks on top of the silos? I mean other than they then wouldn’t be able to show Kensi saving the world from a nuclear holocaust.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Rambler said:

Why didn’t the silly FBI just tell the bad guys that launching the missiles would be futile since they had parked trucks on top of the silos?

Why would fanatics believe the FBI?

• Love 2

Yeah, that part I knew.  The show used the idea that two LCCs (not two LCC officers) working together could coordinate a launch to make the plot work.  That's the part I hope was made up.

Not made up at all. That bit was included in the info from wiki above: "For additional protection, the missile crew in another launch control center must do the same for the missiles to be launched." And yes, the tour guide specifically mentioned that two LCCs would need to be compromised with both officers in each bunker participating. They are open about the whole thing because they want to reassure the public that nuclear launches aren't going to happen by accident or because one or two rogue agents took over an LCC and decided to blow up the world. It would be highly, highly improbable for two LCCs to be compromised. If it makes you feel any better, I think that despite what the show said, the Wing Command can countermand a missile launch by any of its flights.

Why didn’t the silly FBI just tell the bad guys that launching the missiles would be futile since they had parked trucks on top of the silos?

I wondered that too. This would be especially effective with Miller since presumably his sister and nephew would be killed by the launch. I was wondering too why they couldn't disable the missiles in the silos. They're able to remove the missiles and decommission the sites and one would assume there are safety mechanisms in place in case of other issues. I mean some guy dropped a socket off his wrench in 1980 and almost blew up Arkansas. One would hope they learned from that experience.

I'm going to assume that they deliberately gave the wrong info for taking over the silos so as not to give anybody any bad ideas. Kind of like how on Breaking Bad, the formula for the meth they were cooking was basically extra strong cough medicine.

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I'm going to assume that they deliberately gave the wrong info for taking over the silos so as not to give anybody any bad ideas. Kind of like how on Breaking Bad, the formula for the meth they were cooking was basically extra strong cough medicine.

Now how would you know that?  ?

• Love 1
On 11/17/2017 at 5:27 PM, 123BP said:

Deeks REALLY doesn't seem like he's anywhere near ready to be an agent

Agree. He can't seem to keep his emotions - and his actions - under control when Kensi's in danger. Not good for an agent (not even good for a cop).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, ymeagain said:

Agree. He can't seem to keep his emotions - and his actions - under control when Kensi's in danger. Not good for an agent (not even good for a cop).

Same could be said for Sam, who already is an agent.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jaybird said:

Same could be said for Sam, who already is an agent.

Totally not! When Sam went after Tahir, he kept his cool--took actions to keep his team and Sabatino safe and certainly was NOT hysterical or frantic. Compared to Deeks in several episodes, Sam was cool as a cucumber. Deeks lost his cool in Spoils of War, Payback, and now (not to mention unwilling to take a shot when he could have). He's totally uncool whenever Kensi's in danger and not at all ready to be an agent. Deeks is a mess in those situations. Also, as dangerous as it was for Michelle, Sam didn't beg her not to join the Sidorov case--even though she wasn't actually an active CIA agent. Compare that to Deeks in The Silo--begging Kensi to leave and let somebody else do the work. Not even close.

Edited by ymeagain
added comments

Very strong episode! I don't know that this is the storyline I would have picked for the 200 but not the worst either. Many many different threads being drawn together.

Story-wise I'm glad to see that Kensi is still struggling with what happened in Syria. Just because she's made a physical recovery doesn't mean that it's gone away mentally and emotionally. And it's very clear to the people around her, given the warnings that she could speak to the guy but could not touch him.

Man Sam is in a place we've never seen him before. They're handling that fairly deftly I thought. An element of humor for sure but definitely letting us see how deeply Sam is hurt. And a role reversal for him and Callen as well. I do like Callens method of dealing with the hangover though.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ymeagain said:

Totally not! When Sam went after Tahir, he kept his cool--took actions to keep his team and Sabatino safe and certainly was NOT hysterical or frantic. Compared to Deeks in several episodes, Sam was cool as a cucumber. Deeks lost his cool in Spoils of War, Payback, and now (not to mention unwilling to take a shot when he could have). He's totally uncool whenever Kensi's in danger and not at all ready to be an agent. Deeks is a mess in those situations. Also, as dangerous as it was for Michelle, Sam didn't beg her not to join the Sidorov case--even though she wasn't actually an active CIA agent. Compare that to Deeks in The Silo--begging Kensi to leave and let somebody else do the work. Not even close.

In Rude Awakenings, Sam spends most of the episode trying to prevent "Quinn" from being called back undercover. He tries to drown CIA Agent Snyder (Sabatino's partner, the one who gets shot in Wanted) because Snyder has been cavalier about Michele's safety. In Wanted, he breaks out of jail to interfere in an already planned operation, to protect her. In Descent, he again tries to prevent Quinn from getting involved by pointing out that they don't know if Sidorov made Michele; Granger has to point out to Sam that the mission comes before any agent's individual safety. In Ascension, Sam breaks out of the hospital, but when he finally catches up to Sidorov on the hotel roof, he can't take the shot (even though he had backup from Kensi) until Deeks charges through the door and shoots Sidorov's assistant.

Yes, very cucumber-like.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaybird said:

Sam spends most of the episode trying to prevent "Quinn" from being called back undercover. He tries to drown CIA Agent Snyder

I get it--you like Deeks. There's a big difference between what Sam did in trying to talk Michelle out of the Sidorov assignment and Deeks--Michelle wasn't an active CIA agent--her joining the operation was voluntary, and they had children to consider--and no one was in immediate danger; Kensi is an active agent--this is her job, she has no children, and there were MILLIONS in immediate danger. And seriously, if Sam had wanted to drown Snyder, he would have. That act hardly compares to Deeks torturing the cleric in Spoils of War. When Sam breaks out of jail, he puts no one at risk and he doesn't interfere with the operation. I won't even talk about Ascension because that was just the dumbest ending of an episode ever (glad Military has improved and is no longer so melodramatic). It's not that Sam doesn't have emotions, but when he's on a case, he doesn't put the team at risk or break the law. As LAPD Deeks killed his partner--an act he thinks (or knows) was unjustified (otherwise why cover it up?), and in Payback, he wanted to storm the church without waiting for Callen and Sam, and he attacked Sabatino--who was handcuffed--because he thought he knew where Kensi was (it turned out he didn't, but Sabatino did help them find her). Deeks is a hothead who probably shouldn't be anywhere near a gun if Kensi is in danger. You think he's agent material; I don't.

1 hour ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I just have to say this, the seal was a funny touch :D  

Definitely the highlight of the episode. I did not care much for Nell's sibling drama. The logic behind the bullying would only work if big sister was considerably older (and hence able to get as much insight) but from the games Nell described it sounded as if they were pretty close in age. That said the casting was very good and Deek's going all weirded out about 'minions' was also great. But if anyone's been 'awesome' this episode it was not Nell but agent Hidoko. She's quite the stealthy MVP.

I liked Mosley this episode, there was a hint of Avery in her reaction to all the crazy stunts Callen & Co pulled off. Less enthusiastic about the supposed family drama - that came across as a bit manipulative in order to humanize the character.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Excellent casting for Nell's sister though.  There was a time or two when I thought Renee Felice Smith was playing a dual role, but I ended up concluding that had to be a second actress.  I realize CGI is so good these days that the old kludgy Patty Duke Show dual screen/body double technique has been waaay surpassed, but awfully expensive for a one-off character development episode.  And really, really expensive if the sibling thing isn't a one-off.  Ergo, careful casting and coaching brought us big sis.  I'm pretty sure...  (Just checked Google, Ashley Spillers was the actress.  Whew...)

Then on Scorpion the next night, I realized the actress playing Florence (Tina Majorino) could also have been a likely candidate for Nell's controlling big sister.  Apparently this is the year for smart elfin females with bubbly high voices on TV.

• Love 2

Woohoo! Loved the episode "Fool Me Twice"  (better than the 200th IMO). It was tight, tense, and well-constructed--no wasted scenes. The scenes between Callen and Joelle, Sam and Hayley/Mosley, and Kensi and Deeks were all good.

Spoiler

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Syndicate" was the group looking for Asakeem in Arizona with the drone in "Queen Pin." Loved the ending.

I loved how they used Mosleys new digs as an instrument to explain how her style would differ from Hetty's. Although it was amusing to see how Eric and Sam both acted surprised when entering - surely it must have taken weeks to get that done and I know from my own experience that few things raise human curiosity more than a construction site. Don't tell me they weren't all snooping around when the work crew was taking a break or during off-hours. (Also: how exactly were those folks hired - isn't the site to be super-duper secret?) The writing for Mosley is getting better too now that we're about to leave the 'new bosses pisses off everybody'-phase.

Hidoko and Sam were a great team. And although I don't really care for Callen's lingering trust-issues I thought it was a good episode with lots of interesting turns.

• Love 2

Joelle: (gets shot in stomach) (weakly) My name is Jane (eyes close)

Me: What the hell? There is no way that she died from a stomach wound that fast!

Also me: Well, I'm okay with not seeing her anymore so I'll take it.

Team: (sad faces, Joelle is dead)

Callen: (says line, camera pans to Joelle's not dead face)

Me: Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also me: Well crap.

Anyway, I am really digging Mosley now that we're out of obnoxious new boss phase as well. And I'm sure we were supposed to not like her comment about how Hetty is/was a loon, but she was totally right. I really like Hidoko also, she and Sam are a good combination. Hetty, please stay gone.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, JessDVD said:

Me: What the hell? There is no way that she died from a stomach wound that fast!

Also me: Well, I'm okay with not seeing her anymore so I'll take it.

Team: (sad faces, Joelle is dead)

Callen: (says line, camera pans to Joelle's not dead face)

Me: Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also me: Well crap.

Anyway, I am really digging Mosley now that we're out of obnoxious new boss phase as well. And I'm sure we were supposed to not like her comment about how Hetty is/was a loon, but she was totally right. I really like Hidoko also, she and Sam are a good combination. Hetty, please stay gone.

I'm ok with not seeing her anymore too but not because of the character or the actress. I am sick of the team's 'holier-than-thou' attitude about her. All of this 'you fooled me and you lied about the relationship' crap is so absurd coming from Callen. He didn't tell her who he was until she was being shot at. He never had any intention of telling her. She had it exactly right when she said he wasn't upset she lied, he was upset he didn't figure it out. Only the great and powerful Callen and cohorts are allowed to use other people. Anyone doing it to them is scum on their shoes. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I'm ok with not seeing her anymore too but not because of the character or the actress. I am sick of the team's 'holier-than-thou' attitude about her. All of this 'you fooled me and you lied about the relationship' crap is so absurd coming from Callen. He didn't tell her who he was until she was being shot at. He never had any intention of telling her. She had it exactly right when she said he wasn't upset she lied, he was upset he didn't figure it out. Only the great and powerful Callen and cohorts are allowed to use other people. Anyone doing it to them is scum on their shoes. 

This is really about how I feel also. I usually just pretend that the team's double lives don't exist, because I refuse to believe that actual NCIS agents are forced to tell their families that they sell insurance or whatever that crap was from a bunch of seasons ago. I also am skeptical that the CIA expects married agents to sleep with random people, and skeptical of husbands who are okay with that. I thought the team was being unreasonable to her, but I also thought her retconned story was ridiculous and can at least understand their skepticism, if not the lengths to which they took it.

• Love 3

The actress who plays Hidoko is amazingly beautiful, and I find the character to be intriguing.  Initially, she was positioned as Moseley's loyal assistant, but there's cracks there.  At first she seemed more administrative than active, then she was upstaging the tech meerkats (Nell and Eric), so maybe she's a crack analyst, but then she showed up undercover at the fancy shooting party so you go the idea she's also a full agent.  Some of it is lazy writing--"Let's slot her in here!" but some of it might actually be a slow unveiling.  I miss Hetty, but Moseley and Hidoko are great additions.

I am, however, a little bugged by Moseley's longing to be back in DC when so far as the Mothership show is concerned, only Vance exists as an director administrating policy and the agent's cases.  They've been more careful in the past to keep up at least the appearance there is a connection between the various NCIS flavors.

I'm so very tired of Joelle/Jane or whatever her deep cover name was.  May she remain "dead."

• Love 1

Hey people,

PTV's first rule in our social contract is "Be Civil."  I use the cocktail party example:  At a cocktail party, if you get into a disagreement about the show, you don't throw a drink on them or besmirch their parentage; you respectfully, politely agree to disagree and move on.

Please be mindful of this before you post, otherwise, I will be forced to hand out warnings.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Rascotes said:

Is the actress that play's Nell pregnant?  I noticed her screen time has been really reduced and they are starting to do that thing where they never quite show her stomach.

I don't think so. There are multiple promo pics from the upcoming Christmas episode that have her in full profile and she looks like she always does. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

The team's "holier-than-thou" attitude? So when did one of the team sleep with a "target" when there was a spouse and child involved? When did one of the team work for a rogue organization and target another federal agent who was NOT accused of a crime? When she was being shot at, that had nothing to do with Callen--and he didn't have to tell her what he did even then, but he did. No, she didn't have it right that he was upset because he didn't figure it out. Sure, that bothered him but I'm guessing not because he has an ego but maybe because he called off their relationship because he didn't want to put her in danger (she had said she couldn't be with him because of his work) and then he found out that it was all a lie, that she could easily handle the danger. Obviously, he had very strong feelings for her--maybe even loved her. Callen doesn't get involved with women easily (unlike Deeks who was "involved" with multiple women before meeting Kensi), so finding out that Joelle's feelings for him were completely false must have hurt. He's not "the great and powerful Callen." He IS a character who thinks about those around hm--including Joelle--more than he thinks about himself which is the exact opposite of what she did with her husband and child. As for Callen's ego, he never hesitates to acknowledge his team members and their role or appreciate their work. The same folks who criticize Callen and comment about his ego are often the same people who defend Deeks and his killing of his partner. Talk about a double standard. (No drinks thrown.)

Edited by ymeagain
edit
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, JessDVD said:

When a character closes eyes s/he's dead? lol

17 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I am, however, a little bugged by Moseley's longing to be back in DC when so far as the Mothership show is concerned, only Vance exists as an director administrating policy and the agent's cases.  They've been more careful in the past to keep up at least the appearance there is a connection between the various NCIS flavors.

Maybe, but he must have assistants and there are probably other satellite offices. After all, her position isn't the same as Vance's; she's only over one office while he's over the entire organization.  But, if you've ever had to move for a job--maybe when you really didn't want to--I can understand the desire to "go home."

2 hours ago, ymeagain said:

He's not "the great and powerful Callen." He IS a character who thinks about those around hm--including Joelle--more than he thinks about himself which is the exact opposite of what she did with her husband and child.

I agree. I find it weird that some viewers think Callen thinks so highly of himself. I don't get that at all. In fact, I get the opposite. And I do get that he thinks more of Hetty and his team than of himself: quitting to go rescue Hetty, using his money when Hetty was in danger, going after Kensi in Afghanistan against Granger's orders, threatening to break Charov's larynx in prison--these aren't things he would do if he was in danger, but when others are, he does.  But one of the things I like about Callen is that he keeps himself under control, you're never sure which emotions are real and which are an act (like in Citadel), and he doesn't throw things to show how angry he is (which seems like Beginning Acting to me). He's such an interesting, complicated character--I love that.

• Love 1

That was the absolute worst episode of the season so far (and maybe one of the worst 10 ever) IMO. I was so much more interested in what happened in the bar in Georgia than in what was going on in this episode The story was just too stupid; it was almost painful to watch it (I did just because I think I should watch an entire episode if I'm going to comment on it). I may have to change that after suffering through that hour. I'm actually debating whether or not to even watch next week's although his episodes are usually better than Erin's. Why are the women writers on this show so inconsistent? And when is Deeks going to grow up? It's a sketch not a porn video.

Edited by 123BP
spelling

I guessed the writer had been binge watching Tarantino movies.  And really doesn't like Deeks. What ever happened to taking a personal day off?  

My problem is, I'm beginning to dislike Deeks for his (as written) behavior and choices.  Perhaps unintentionally the writers are making a strong argument against nepotism or any relationships in an office.  The wrap up at the end of the episode said it's ok to have killed some guys in the Navy and the murderer will go home to where ever where she'll be a hero for bringing a bad guy down.

I can't say if it's the worst episode of the season as I've lost interest through so many of them that I really wasn't following story lines.  

• Love 1

I love this show and I'm with it till the end. But the tone this season has just been so different without Granger and without Hetty. I know that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about Granger being gone but what is up with Linda Hunt? I I really did not realize how much Hetty had set the tone until she'd gone.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I know that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about Grainger being gone but what is up with Linda Hunt? I I really did not realize how much Hetty had set the tone until she'd gone.

Never really realized that is the reason it is so different now. Not only did they lose Granger (and like you said - nothing can be done about that) but why Hetty too? If they were trying to give a whole new feel to the show, well they succeeded but not in a good way. I like all the characters (although Deeks really does get on my last nerve like a middle school teen boy would) but the whole tone of the show is different now. I find myself looking at my phone, getting up to go get snacks, etc. about 15-20 minutes in. 

• Love 1

For the love of (insert name of personal deity here) please let Deeks grow up, get a hair cut, and get rid of his mother!

Also stop Mosley from putting her hands on her hips ALL THE DAMN TIME

And let Eric grow up

and while I am on a rant and creating a wish list ... let Sam wear something new, how many years now has he been wearing the same style of shirt?

In order to double check a name I looked at IMDB and lo here is the summary for the most recent episode -

A hit woman is targeting a Brazilian diplomat that has nothing to do with the Navy, so NCIS is called in to investigate.

someone has a sense of humour!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

For the love of (insert name of personal deity here) please let Deeks grow up, get a hair cut, and get rid of his mother!

Also stop Mosley from putting her hands on her hips ALL THE DAMN TIME

agree - on the fence about Eric (he has such little screen time and I'd wear shorts to work if I could) and Sam's shirt (why change what's comfortable? I've worn jeans since high school)

A hit woman is targeting a Brazilian diplomat that has nothing to do with the Navy, so NCIS is called in to investigate.

like IMDB but someone missed the fact that two of those killed in the bar were Marines (or ex-Marines) with gang ties

Thought the episode pretty much sucked. Stupid story - too unbelievable (yea, I know it's a TV show, but a hard ass killer is talked out of killing her main target by a complete stranger in, like 5 minutes?). Seemed like an excuse to let Daniela speak Portuguese (isn't there an app for that?) Would have been better if Callen had taken Paula (whatever her name was) out, then she and Kensi could have bonded while she died (more drama than talking her to death) Kensi's getting so "earnest" she's starting to get boring. And why is Mosley always taking Callen and Sam as her "arm candy"? Don't they have more important things to do?

Edited by ymeagain
  • Love 1

and while I am on a rant and creating a wish list ... let Sam wear something new, how many years now has he been wearing the same style of shirt?

I think Sam wears those shirts because LLCoolJ has a lot of tats.  

9 hours ago, ymeagain said:

agree - on the fence about Eric (he has such little screen time and I'd wear shorts to work if I could) and Sam's shirt (why change what's comfortable? I've worn jeans since high school)

exact same style of jeans tho?

9 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I accept that, but there are a lot of long sleeved shirt styles available, why stick to one?

On 12/13/2017 at 7:40 AM, Kelda Feegle said:

exact same style of jeans tho?

Since high school: Levis or Lees, straight leg (no bell, boot, or skinny), 5-pocket, plain (no sequins, stitching, rivets, appliques, or rips), no other colors. Casual are washed; work are dark (more "professional")--the only difference. Boring but comfortable - like Sam and his shirts.

7 hours ago, ymeagain said:

Since high school: Levis or Lees, straight leg (no bell, boot, or skinny), 5-pocket, plain (no sequins, stitching, rivets, appliques, or rips), no other colors. Casual are washed; work are dark (more "professional")--the only difference. Boring but comfortable - like Sam and his shirts.

Good for you, if I tried that the style would have to change as my sizes did LOL

• Love 1
On 12/13/2017 at 7:40 AM, Kelda Feegle said:
On 12/12/2017 at 10:36 PM, kassygreene said:

I accept that, but there are a lot of long sleeved shirt styles available, why stick to one?

There's a bit of irony here tied to the real world and unknown to beautiful people.  Styles change, especially when you don't want them to.  You like a shirt this year and vow to buy three of them the next year.  Give up in advance.  The shirts may even have the same number identifier but will be made in a different factory, maybe even in a different country and definitely from a different fabric and always of a different weight.  Sam has to be driving the costumers to distraction, keeping him in the same shirt over a decade or so. 

• Love 2

I really miss Hetty.  I think her character holds the narrative together. This last episode seemed like Nell was trying to continue traditions, however, to me,   Mosely doesn't seem to have the same impact as Hetty, Hetty has such an urban legend status, whereas Mosely is a complete and utter unknown.  Hopefully the fact that episode 13 looks like it may have a Vietnamese name means they will be Hetty hunting and we get her back on the show? 

Edited by LittlePeas3
more thoughts entered my head
  • Love 4