Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: First Comes Marriage, Then Comes Love

• Start Topic

I think AJ was very nervous and he reminded me of Sam Nunberg when he looked like he was drunk on tv.  I think AJ kind of resembles him, too.  

Anyway, I'll see if he's calmed down in the next episode before I pass judgment on him. 

• Love 10
23 hours ago, IvySpice said:

Wondering what is wrong with a 37-year-old who isn't married...we aren't all created equal when it comes to the dating market. I met my husband at 38 and married at 40, so no judgment for my fellow late bloomers, but I'm a white lady. College-educated straight black men are wildly outnumbered by college-educated straight black women. There's no other group with such a significant numerical advantage. Lincoln University is about 60/40 women, and that's more balanced than a lot of other HBCUs. So that does make me think that if Will wanted to find his Jasmine earlier, he could have.

Sorry “white lady” 😊but a 37 year old unmarried black man is no big deal. Some have either never been married (lots) or are divorced (also lots). As for being with college-educated black women, that is not a requirement. Actually the older and more settled they get, the less interested they become in us. That is unless we are younger than they. Let’s just say it’s complicated and the “numbers” don’t matter.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Stephanie:  "I am career oriented" with wanderlust and she dates men who won't commit to her.  Shockingly, she's 35 and alone.  In good shape for 35.  Maybe she's desperate enough to accept.....

Oh, she's desperate enough. 

It's interesting because it seems like if a dudes in his 30's and isn't married... the majority of people don't really care much.  But if a woman is in her 30's and single... everyone thinks there is a problem.  Probably because society places such a heavy pressure on women to have children, and as they age the pregnancy window starts to close.

I could be wrong. I'm in my early 30's so I haven't finished research on this subject yet.  To be continued in 10 years.

• Love 12
On 1/6/2019 at 5:11 PM, humbleopinion said:

[Humbleopinion's response to various remarks, like this one by Gonecrackers, really got me laughing--

"Luke’s mom’s huge breasts stole the show on that walk down the aisle. The only thing working for her with that dress was it matched her blue eyeglass frames."]:

As Humbleopinion put it:

...from the lady in blue with the low hanging fruit....

It means that Luke's female children (if he ever has any) are more likely to be well-endowed, once they're teens.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I think AJ was very nervous and he reminded me of Sam Nunberg when he looked like he was drunk on tv.  I think AJ kind of resembles him, too.  

Anyway, I'll see if he's calmed down in the next episode before I pass judgment on him. 

18 hours ago, spunky said:

AJ  annoyed me and I wasn't the one marrying him. Stephanie needs to hide all caffeinated beverages from him. 

AJ probably was nervous so hopefully he’ll eventually calm the fuck down once the initial excitement wears off.  It is unfortunate that he looks like the older brother of past season’s-chinless wonder Ryan. I remember that guy was so into his unknown bride that he kept spouting off Hallmarks channel romance and paid an extra $1000 for his ring so he could win the groom dick measuring contest. After the initial excitement wore off, he could not be bothered to put aside any of his 1 million activities/jobs to make time for his bride.

• Love 13

Actually the older and more settled they get, the less interested they become in us.

Sounds like we agree that the guys in this group have a lot of options and don't always take advantage of them...which is what makes me wonder if Will really wants a Jasmine. I hope so.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, qtpye said:

AJ probably was nervous so hopefully he’ll eventually calm the fuck down once the initial excitement wears off.  It is unfortunate that he looks like the older brother of past season’s-chinless wonder Ryan. I remember that guy was so into his unknown bride that he kept spouting off Hallmarks channel romance and paid an extra $1000 for his ring so he could win the groom dick measuring contest. After the initial excitement wore off, he could not be bothered to put aside any of his 1 million activities/jobs to make time for his bride.

That's who he reminded me of. It seems as though any Ryan on this show is either a psychopath or a self centered jerk. I hope AJ  calms all the way down. I think the photographer purposely sent him on that tractor so that the poor girl could get some oxygen.

Edited by spunky
Typo
  • Love 3
On 1/2/2019 at 8:14 AM, Empress1 said:

<snip>. Now that she's part of a couple, people just invite her to way more things, not just because she has his stuff to deal with too, but people she's known for ages that dropped her when she was single and they weren't, suddenly decided she was worth talking to again once she got married. I've noticed this too, as a single woman. 

Wow. I didn't know that this still happens in modern society. 

I mean,  I know that to people like the fundamentalist Duggars (from the TV show Counting On) unmarried women are less than....but they are a weird, weird family.

One of their daughters is almost thirty, and unmarried, and all of the married couples go out on "dates" together, and always leave her out.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:14 AM, Empress1 said:

"Queen" Kristine with no edges,

OK, I know what a weave is, but what are edges, please?

Edited by ChiCricket
don't should have been didn't
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Wow. I don't know that this still happens in modern society. 

I mean,  I know that to people like the fundamentalist Duggars (from the TV show Counting On) unmarried women are less than....but they are a weird, weird family.

One of their daughters is almost thirty, and unmarried, and all of the married couples go out on "dates" together, and always leave her out.

OK, I know what a weave is, but what are edges, please?

I mean, the woman in question was talking about her own experience in today's society. She tweeted about this weeks ago. Just over the weekend I watched the reunion for the reality show Married to Medicine, which is about a group of women who are either married to doctors, are doctors themselves, or in one case both. One of them is in the middle of a divorce. Every year on the show they do a "couples trip" (all reality shows send their casts somewhere to start shit in a new place) and on the reunion, one of the other cast members (her name is Toya) said straight up, loudly and repeatedly, that the one who is divorcing her husband shouldn't come on any future trips. (Which is ridiculous for many reasons, not least because we know the trips are part of the show and Bravo puts them on and foots the bill so Toya has no say in who goes on the trip.) Before the divorcing couple was officially divorcing, Toya wondered what they (meaning Toya and her husband) would do if the divorcing couple actually split up, because "couples hang out with couples." I have more than one single friend who has a story about a married friend who told her to her face that now that Married Friend is married, she only wants other married friends, so goodbye and good luck. I've been left out of stuff too - "Oh, it was just couples." It 100% happens.

Edges are the hair around the hairline, which tends to be fragile. If you pull hair too tightly, you can lose it - traction alopecia. Kristine's edges are very thin - her hairline is back behind her ears.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I mean, the woman in question was talking about her own experience in today's society. She tweeted about this weeks ago. Just over the weekend I watched the reunion for the reality show Married to Medicine, which is about a group of women who are either married to doctors, are doctors themselves, or in one case both. One of them is in the middle of a divorce. Every year on the show they do a "couples trip" (all reality shows send their casts somewhere to start shit in a new place) and on the reunion, one of the other cast members (her name is Toya) said straight up, loudly and repeatedly, that the one who is divorcing her husband shouldn't come on any future trips. (Which is ridiculous for many reasons, not least because we know the trips are part of the show and Bravo puts them on and foots the bill so Toya has no say in who goes on the trip.) Before the divorcing couple was officially divorcing, Toya wondered what they (meaning Toya and her husband) would do if the divorcing couple actually split up, because "couples hang out with couples." I have more than one single friend who has a story about a married friend who told her to her face that now that Married Friend is married, she only wants other married friends, so goodbye and good luck. I've been left out of stuff too - "Oh, it was just couples." It 100% happens.

Edges are the hair around the hairline, which tends to be fragile. If you pull hair too tightly, you can lose it - traction alopecia. Kristine's edges are very thin - her hairline is back behind her ears.

I’ve gotten the “it was just couples” or “we should all get sitters and have a group date night”. I’m unmarried and child free. Because  I’m me I asked if they assumed I was going to babysit since I was the only one not in a couple. Cue the fumbling over words. Yeah I meant to do that. I’m a work in progress.

with respect to edges...mine broke off bc of braid and now I have months and months to let my hair grow back before I can pull my hair off my face. I’m pissed.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Oh wow. 

{picture from article you shared }

20190108_142522.png

Yikes!!!

it looks like she has lost more than edges. It looks like she is bald under that wig. She might actually have alopecia. Naw, the wigs and weaves (and the braids underneath) have eaten her hair off.

😢😢

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, scruffy73 said:

Yikes!!!

it looks like she has lost more than edges. It looks like she is bald under that wig. She might actually have alopecia. Naw, the wigs and weaves (and the braids underneath) have eaten her hair off.

😢😢

That article is a few years old. There's another picture floating around of Naomi Campbell at the beach and her wig is wet and pushed back and you can see more of her receding hairline.

Kristine's edges don't appear to be totally gone, at least not that I can remember, but they are thin. If weaves are her go-to style, all the pulling isn't helping.

An article that highlights some of the places they showed this episode.

Edited by Empress1
On 1/2/2019 at 2:29 AM, silverspoons said:

Either way as a women I  would rather marry a man with a well stocked bathroom then a bare one. I would think it is a sign they are more ready for marriage then not.

I remember my husband (of almost 50 years) being shocked at how fast the toilet paper got used up after we got married.  I had to remind him that we have different equipment to clean.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9

I'm just starting watching this, and I haven't read everyone's posts yet,

but I'm going to jump in before I do. 

After watching this show for years, I just bet that Kristine can't cook, and Keith is short.

(Edited to change Kate to Kristine) 😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm just starting watching this, and I haven't read everyone's posts yet,

but I'm going to jump in before I do. 

After watching this show for years, I just bet that Kate can't cook, and Keith is short.

I'm guessing it's "Queen" Catherine Christine who can't cook. (Although "can't cook" is a relative thing --some men seem to think that if a woman doesn't want to cook all the time, or if she isn't a very good cook, then she "can't cook".)

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

I remember my husband (of almost 50 years) being shocked at how fast the toilet paper got used I'll after we got married.  I had to remind him that we have different equipment to clean.

Same here. I've gotten to be a toilet paper snob and like one brand. Costco does not carry it anymore and these 4 rolls equal 24, I think is a total lie! My husband feels like we are always running out. It is one of the few things we disagreed about, but if toilet paper is one of your big disagreements then I think we will be okay.  Plus easily solved by my husband building a shelf into our girls bathroom(my daughter and I get the big master bath and my husband and son get the basement cave one, that has also made for happy marriage) and stocking up during a Kroger case lot sale every year. 50 years! Wow, I'm only close to 20! 

I love my reality TV but I'm thinking with MAFS the first 2 episodes and the final one are the only fun ones to watch. I enjoy seeing matchmaking talk, the families and couples meeting and the decision. The middle is just filled with the experts saying, remember this is a legally binding marriage and the couples saying I got married at first sight because... Of course I will still get sucked into watching. 

• Love 4
On 1/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Empress1 said:

I wondered if it might be that when Luke talked about his exes on the casting, they were all women of color and Kate is not.

Yeah he’s so modern and diverse 🙄. I’m shocked AJ is getting worse talk than Mr. Smug - IMO Luke’s a gigantic douchebag and will be the Most Hated here by the end of January 

On 1/3/2019 at 7:39 PM, Neurochick said:

Jasmine and Will are okay, not full of drama, not good for a reality show.

I predict they’ll be great and everyone here will call them boring 😃

9 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Wow. I don't know that this still happens in modern society. 

It does.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Same here. I've gotten to be a toilet paper snob and like one brand. Costco does not carry it anymore and these 4 rolls equal 24, I think is a total lie! My husband feels like we are always running out. It is one of the few things we disagreed about, but if toilet paper is one of your big disagreements then I think we will be okay.  Plus easily solved by my husband building a shelf into our girls bathroom(my daughter and I get the big master bath and my husband and son get the basement cave one, that has also made for happy marriage) and stocking up during a Kroger case lot sale every year. 50 years! Wow, I'm only close to 20! 

I solved my toilet paper issue by switching to flushable wipes, which are more expensive but you use a lot less to get what I think is a better result.  Plus now hubbie thinks I use less toilet paper, which is true but he doesn't know that I supplement it with the wipes, which I buy with my health and beauty aids and conceal in a pretty canister in the bathroom.  I don't know if he even knows what they are.  Probably thinks they're makeup removers or something.

• Love 2

I know this is my second beard comment already, but I can't help it.

What's up with everybody (and their mama) wearing beards now?

Does Keith only have friends who are also bearded?

Or maybe it's because 'beards' of a feather flock together?

(I hate beards on young guys)

rps20190109_015438.jpg

• Love 7

I don't mind beards (my late husband looked fine with one), but I do NOT like the trend to LONG beards.

I missed some stuff,  because I didn't realize this was all new.  But a couple first impressions:

Luke is weird.  Weird hair,  weird attitude to kissing,  or not,  his lovely bride. Talking WAY too much with the bridesmaids than with his bride, sitting alone. 

Stephanie wasn't attracted to A. J. from First Sight. But I could be wrong.  I could deal with A.J.'s outsized personality; we could laugh and skip and whistle together! 

At the reception, Will is looking more at the camera with a strained expression than he is turning to look at his bride Jasmine. 

Keith searching for the Queen's garter was....NSFW-adjacent!

The show actually put the wedding couples in attached cottages?

ETA: The preview: I guarantee that Kate will never, ever forget that Luke said he was, in her words, "repulsed and dead inside" after kissing her. No matter if she stays.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 9
On 1/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, Empress1 said:

I wondered if it might be that when Luke talked about his exes on the casting, they were all women of color and Kate is not.

I’ll bet he did tell that he preferred a woman of color.  If so, why did the experts pair him with Katr .. to cause some drama and devastate Kate?  Is that what it comes to?  Out of all those applicants they pick him?  This is done on purpose.  We are all riled up already.  What else is new?  There’s always one in the bunch that we despise.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, princelina said:

Yeah he’s so modern and diverse 🙄

I have to say, as a woman of color, I find the idea that Luke could only like women of color because ... I don't know, he's trying to be "quirky" and "different" pretty offensive. Maybe he's attracted to women of color because he just is, and treats them well. It's coming across as "how dare Luke be attracted to women of color instead of this inherently more desirable blonde blue-eyed woman," which is gross.

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I have to say, as a woman of color, I find the idea that Luke could only like women of color because ... I don't know, he's trying to be "quirky" and "different" pretty offensive. Maybe he's attracted to women of color because he just is, and treats them well. It's coming across as "how dare Luke be attracted to women of color instead of this inherently more desirable blonde blue-eyed woman," which is gross.

I agree.  I blame the experts.

Edited by Gem 10
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

I agree, so why then did the experts pair him up with Kate when they know he prefers a woman of color.  Just to cause drama?  Experts who play with peoples lives and humiliate them both?  I blame them.

The experts didn't cause the responses to the pairing, though. 

5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

ETA: The preview: I guarantee that Kate will never, ever forget that Luke said he was, in her words, "repulsed and dead inside" after kissing her. No matter if she stays

Nor should she. It's like with Jon and Molly - Molly told Jon he was disgusting and made her skin crawl. There's no way someone should stay with someone who speaks to or about them like that. I feel terrible for Kate, when she's sitting there saying she'd hoped they could do something nice and then just breaks down completely.

That's what I mean about Luke - it's not that he's not into her, it's that he's mean about it. He couldn't just say* "I wasn't feeling it" or "there wasn't a spark?"

*With the caveat that I'm basing this off the preview, so don't know the whole story.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Well I apologize for sounding that way - to me it was more his listing of all ethnicities that he dated that made my eyes roll, not that he's attracted to women of color.  I also didn't think he was unattracted to Kate because of her race, but because first - she has to DO speed dating while he is cool enough to run it, and then second, hurt pride/feelings that she did not immediately recognize his bad ass self at the altar.  That's the real thing I don't think he will get over.  And I don't like him because he seems to feel like he's too cool for just about everything that this show purports to be about.  

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I don’t think that at all. We all have preferences. I think Luke wanted someone different from himself and he possibly thought Kate seemed boring. None of this excuses his behavior and none of it means he is gay. I’m a little tired of everyone being called gay if they are not interested in one particular person or if they don’ t fit a certain mold(see every bachelor contestant).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think that at all. We all have preferences. I think Luke wanted someone different from himself and he possibly thought Kate seemed boring. None of this excuses his behavior and none of it means he is gay. I’m a little tired of everyone being called gay if they are not interested in one particular person or if they don’ t fit a certain mold(see every bachelor contestant).

So I've never watched 10 seconds of the bachelor. I don't think Luke is gay solely because he isn't attracted to Kate.  During the Unfiltered segment there were some mannerisms there that remind me of gay men that I know. Could be wrong and we'll likely never know anyway. 

But I don't really see this guy as truly being attracted to women of color. I'd honestly have to see that in action. We only have his word and I don't buy damn near anything he's selling at this point. I think he said that to give himself a future out. If the experts matched him with someone who wasn't white he could blame their dysfunction on a million different things related to interracial relationships. He got Kate, so now he can say he would have preferred someone like Jasmine. And since he's only doing this for money/Z-list fame, he wins either way. Kate's the only one losing here.

• Love 5

I think Luke is a creep but we have seen so little of these people I don’t think we can say we know who he is and isn’t attracted to. I know plenty of gay men too and like everyone else they vary in their mannerisms. I see no reason why a gay man would agree to get married to a woman on a TV show, knowing that anyone he had a relationship with could come forward at any time.

I think he is a hipster douche who thinks he needs someone as “unique “ as he is and he is judging Kate without knowing her.

Also, to be fair he didn’t say her dress looked terrible, he said it must be terrible to move around in. Not the same thing.

• Love 15
37 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Luke is a creep but we have seen so little of these people I don’t think we can say we know who he is and isn’t attracted to. I know plenty of gay men too and like everyone else they vary in their mannerisms. I see no reason why a gay man would agree to get married to a woman on a TV show, knowing that anyone he had a relationship with could come forward at any time.

I think he is a hipster douche who thinks he needs someone as “unique “ as he is and he is judging Kate without knowing her.

Also, to be fair he didn’t say her dress looked terrible, he said it must be terrible to move around in. Not the same thing.

Thanks for clearing that up about the dress. I thought his comment was more along those lines.

Of course everyone has different mannerisms. The gay men I know most closely, my son and my best friend, have different mannerisms than each other and the other gay men I know casually. That's why I said SOME of his mannerisms remind me of people I know. 

As far as a gay man going on television, he may have never had an experience with another man. We don't know that he has. 

I'm pretty sure even with the little we've seen of him, we can all safely agree he's not attracted to Kate in the least.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I agree, armchair-ily. In his case, I see his desire to date someone "ethnic" as just another hipster affectation. Which is all fine fine fine in the real word, but in terms of this show, he should have made it a requirement. 

I'm tired of people lying, fudging, and omitting in order to "win" the audition process.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I agree, armchair-ily. In his case, I see his desire to date someone "ethnic" as just another hipster affectation. Which is all fine fine fine in the real word, but in terms of this show, he should have made it a requirement. 

I'm tired of people lying, fudging, and omitting in order to "win" the audition process.

To me, Luke seems like a guy who is a little desperate for money. Despite his Civil Engineer status, he does not strike me as the type of guy who would be successful in that field. Would you like to drive on a bridge designed by Luke?

• Love 6

Hi folks! I started watching this trainwreck today. What is wrong with me?!?! Anyway. I am about halfway through episode one and don't want to read your comments until it's over but I just HAD to comment on a few things:

AJ drives me insane. I can't stand that sort of "on all the time turning everything into a joke" thing. Stephanie seems cold and hard to me on first sight and I don't see her liking his jokester ways. She thinks it's cute on the wedding day but I see that wearing off very quickly. 

The gal who introduced herself by saying "You can call me Queen" whatever turned me off right away.

I didn't understand how going to the same school all of a sudden made the very angry dad, less angry at this stranger marriage.

On first sight, I didn't like the dude with the hipster beard. His mother looks like she could be trouble. She looks like she has a stick up her ass.

I haven't formed much of an opinion on the others but we'll see.

Looking SO forward to reading the snark here.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I didn't understand how going to the same school all of a sudden made the very angry dad, less angry at this stranger marriage..

I was just talking about this with my mom today because I have seen a couple of comments about it. To me, knowing someone was and alumni of the same college I graduated from would mean that we have several things in common—shared experiences, similar goals, maybe some shared values, etc.  I am proud of the hard work it took to get into college and graduate from college so I would assume the person had similar motivations.  It would also give us a few things to talk about at first, such as asking which Freshman dorm they lived in, or do they remember movie nights in the Chem building, did they have Dr. So-and-so for Psych 101, etc.  I think Jasmine’s dad feels like they would never let a psycho killer into Lincoln University so he is relieved!

Edited by PityFree
Change ‘college’ to ‘university’
  • Love 12
50 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I was just talking about this with my mom today because I have seen a couple of comments about it. To me, knowing someone was and alumni of the same college I graduated from would mean that we have several things in common—shared experiences, similar goals, maybe some shared values, etc.  I am proud of the hard work it took to get into college and graduate from college so I would assume the person had similar motivations.  It would also give us a few things to talk about at first, such as asking which Freshman dorm they lived in, or do they remember movie nights in the Chem building, did they have Dr. So-and-so for Psych 101, etc.  I think Jasmine’s dad feels like they would never let a psycho killer into Lincoln College so he is relieved!

Yes - and Jasmine said outright that her father is a ride or die Lincoln alum. He was wearing orange and blue (school colors) to her wedding. Also Lincoln University is an HBCU and there tends to be a lot of pride among HBCU alums in my experience, and it's also a small school, so he may feel like "what are the odds?" It's a pretty specific educational experience.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

This is it exactly- hipster douche. From the ridiculous beard, skinny dress pants, disgust over the strippers, which I think is not because he’s gay but because it’s so cliche. He’d probably rather have been smoking cigars and drinking craft whiskey with his other bearded skinny jeans friends...

• Love 18
10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yes - and Jasmine said outright that her father is a ride or die Lincoln alum. He was wearing orange and blue (school colors) to her wedding. Also Lincoln University is an HBCU and there tends to be a lot of pride among HBCU alums in my experience, and it's also a small school, so he may feel like "what are the odds?" It's a pretty specific educational experience.

It kind of reminded me of the Cosby pride over Hillman. As someone who grew up in Atlanta with Spellman and Morehouse, it really tickled me pink that the groom and father in law were “Lincoln Men” and that formed a bond.

• Love 9
On 1/7/2019 at 10:35 PM, spunky said:

That's who he reminded me of. It seems as though any Ryan on this show is either a psychopath or a self centered jerk. I hope AJ  calms all the way down. I think the photographer purposely sent him on that tractor so that the poor girl could get some oxygen.

I do hope he calms down a little. He does seem to be a nice guy who really wants a companion. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I do hope he calms down a little. He does seem to be a nice guy who really wants a companion. 

He was either super excited or intoxicated. Hopefully he mellows out soon

• Love 3
On 1/7/2019 at 12:41 PM, IvySpice said:

Sounds like we agree that the guys in this group have a lot of options and don't always take advantage of them...which is what makes me wonder if Will really wants a Jasmine. I hope so.

The hubs said he’s not into her.  I think he’s just very low key.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, configdotsys said:

Hi folks! I started watching this trainwreck today. What is wrong with me?!?! Anyway. I am about halfway through episode one and don't want to read your comments until it's over but I just HAD to comment on a few things:

AJ drives me insane. I can't stand that sort of "on all the time turning everything into a joke" thing. Stephanie seems cold and hard to me on first sight and I don't see her liking his jokester ways. She thinks it's cute on the wedding day but I see that wearing off very quickly. 

The gal who introduced herself by saying "You can call me Queen" whatever turned me off right away.

I didn't understand how going to the same school all of a sudden made the very angry dad, less angry at this stranger marriage.

On first sight, I didn't like the dude with the hipster beard. His mother looks like she could be trouble. She looks like she has a stick up her ass.

I haven't formed much of an opinion on the others but we'll see.

Looking SO forward to reading the snark here.

Hi too.  Welcome to the craziness, haha.   I agree about Luke’s Mother.  We all love our sons, but she was a little over the top.   He was only getting married, not going to the electric chair.  Most grown guys don’t want too much smothering in public, but Luke seems to like the attention from Mama.   AJ would be too much for me too, but she is 35  and seems desperate to have a baby, so she might tell him to STFU and carry on with the marriage.  I see trouble with the Queen.  She likes to be on the go and Keith wants a hot meal like Grandma made him every night and lay on the couch.  He seems adamant about that, so there will be trouble.  The Lincoln couple seems blah.

• Love 4
On 1/9/2019 at 7:44 PM, PityFree said:

I was just talking about this with my mom today because I have seen a couple of comments about it. To me, knowing someone was and alumni of the same college I graduated from would mean that we have several things in common—shared experiences, similar goals, maybe some shared values, etc.  I am proud of the hard work it took to get into college and graduate from college so I would assume the person had similar motivations.  It would also give us a few things to talk about at first, such as asking which Freshman dorm they lived in, or do they remember movie nights in the Chem building, did they have Dr. So-and-so for Psych 101, etc.  I think Jasmine’s dad feels like they would never let a psycho killer into Lincoln University so he is relieved!

Absolutely! Let me meet a Spelman sister and see if we aren’t hugging up on each other!!

• Love 5

I'm a psychotherapist and stumbled upon this show recently. I thought the initial concept was appalling, but I find the show very interesting in that it is a very accurate portrayal of what people will do to find "love", a place of comfort for themselves with another. I don't see anything different, or as extreme as I have seen walking into my office over the past 15 years. That said, I do find the match of Luke and Kate disturbing, as he functions with an undercurrent of both homosexual and sociopathic behaviors whenever he is on camera. I'm not sure what expertise the hosts of the show have, but I hope that they do not let this pair tread too far as I think it could be devastating for Kate. She is a lovely person who lacks self-esteem, but will grow in confidence if she can avoid poor matches like this one. Someone throw her a lifeline!

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, DrK said:

I'm a psychotherapist and stumbled upon this show recently. I thought the initial concept was appalling, but I find the show very interesting in that it is a very accurate portrayal of what people will do to find "love", a place of comfort for themselves with another. I don't see anything different, or as extreme as I have seen walking into my office over the past 15 years. That said, I do find the match of Luke and Kate disturbing, as he functions with an undercurrent of both homosexual and sociopathic behaviors whenever he is on camera. I'm not sure what expertise the hosts of the show have, but I hope that they do not let this pair tread too far as I think it could be devastating for Kate. She is a lovely person who lacks self-esteem, but will grow in confidence if she can avoid poor matches like this one. Someone throw her a lifeline!

Let me get you up to speed on the “experts“:  not only do they have no idea  how to make compatible couples, they actively match people with completely opposite personalities in hopes that they will each fix the other.  From past seasons, they have matched people with severe dog phobias with people who owned multiple dogs, as an example.  Also, the experts will match ethnic minorities together simply because they are minorities, with absolutely no regard for their personalities or qualities they want in a partner.

Not only will the experts fail to save Kate from Luke’s awful behavior, they will actively encourage her to try harder to be the kind of wife Luke wants. They will shame her into sticking with the marriage no matter what her instincts tell her.

The only reason I watch the show anymore after so many disastrous seasons is because I want to see what kind of people are naïve enough to go on the show without having watched the past seasons.  Also there is nothing else on Tuesdays.  And also I’m a terrible person.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 9