Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: First Comes Marriage, Then Comes Love

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Sterling said:

When they were matching the couples up, Pastor Cal said "Kate would be a good match for Luke, if he would find her attractive".  Not an exact quote, but I re-watched it to make sure I heard that right.  Why wouldn't Luke be attracted?  She's adorable.  Could it be her weight?  She's adorable but not size 2 teensy tiny....was that it?

I wondered if it might be that when Luke talked about his exes on the casting, they were all women of color and Kate is not.

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Why wouldn't Luke be attracted?  She's adorable.  Could it be her weight?  She's adorable but not size 2 teensy tiny....was that it?

Who knows.  I agree - Kate is a cute, sweet girl.  That's the type of girl you bring home to meet your parents. Although I did raise an eyebrow when I saw her riding one of the strippers...🤔

Not a fan of her wedding dress btw.  I don't like that see through skin-colored mesh on the neck area.  Would still smile if she walked down the aisle tho.

• Love 2

Ok, I see all the hate on AJ. But still I'll take the giggly outlandish personality of his over the usual "too cool for it all" pretty boys. Yeah I saw that tongue action he dished out on his bride and you know what?- I'm THERE for it. I mean is there no one of us here that would at least ugly-bang the guy??!! Remember SATC when Charlotte ugly-banged Harry?! She fell in love! Best sex ever! I feel like- maybe I wouldn't be that disappointed in him as  a match.

[Dodges shoes thrown at]👟

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

Ok, I see all the hate on AJ. But still I'll take the giggly outlandish personality of his over the usual "too cool for it all" pretty boys. Yeah I saw that tongue action he dished out on his bride and you know what?- I'm THERE for it. I mean is there no one of us here that would at least ugly-bang the guy??!! Remember SATC when Charlotte ugly-banged Harry?! She fell in love! Best sex ever! I feel like- maybe I wouldn't be that disappointed in him as  a match.

[Dodges shoes thrown at]👟

You're entitled to your (wrong) opinion of AJ.  (just kidding, now I'm the one dodging shoes).

Look, he has this huge personality, and she will never be bored.  So there's that.  And at least early on, in this episode, she's there for it.  I mean, she was going for the kissing just as much as he was.  So we shall see!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, scruffy73 said:

I know he was not a contender for Kristine but that would have been a fright and delight.

I agree and honestly, he is more interesting than Keith who is no better suited to the "Queen"......I wish I could unsee her licking that stripper......my eyes!!!!!!!

• Love 4

I think AJ is so excited to be around a real live girl he can’t control himself and a few weeks into the process he will settle down some and not be so obnoxious.  At least I hope so as he seems decent and funny which is better than some of the other dullards they’ve had on this show (looking at you BOS Ryan).

No idea why they picked Luke.  He basically said he is a really outgoing guy who lives in a big city and meets dozens of eligible single women every week.  If he can’t find a person to connect with then that is on him.  Did they think they were going to find his miracle match under some super secret rock he didn’t know about?  Stupid “experts”.

• Love 23
6 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

No idea why they picked Luke.  He basically said he is a really outgoing guy who lives in a big city and meets dozens of eligible single women every week.  If he can’t find a person to connect with then that is on him.  Did they think they were going to find his miracle match under some super secret rock he didn’t know about?  Stupid “experts”.

I'm with whoever upthread (sorry don't remember) said that Luke is in it for the internet fame, the endorsements, the social media game.  Luke "the hustler" (gag) is always after his next "thing", i.e. getting paid to shave his beard off (how stupid, why would anyone pay to see that?), his speed dating business, etc.  
    I'd be willing to bet that Luke has quite a few other hustling, money-making "games" up his sleeve, if onnnnnnnly he had just a little more exposure.  Enter poor, unsuspecting Kate.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 15

As Scruffy [Oops, I mean Empress!] said:  "I wondered if it might be that when Luke talked about his exes on the casting, they were all women of color and Kate is not."

2 hours ago, Sterling said:

Oh, I bet that's it.  Makes sense!

Yes, that could actually be it. I wouldn't rule out any type of viewer manipulation by this show's producers!

...By the way, Sterling, I think I might have been the "person upthread" that you referred to. I quipped:

"Luke is there for money and social media attention."

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

As Scruffy said:  "I wondered if it might be that when Luke talked about his exes on the casting, they were all women of color and Kate is not."

Yes, that could actually be it. I wouldn't rule out any type of viewer manipulation by this show's producers!

...By the way, Sterling, I think I might have been the "person upthread" that you referred to. I quipped:

"Luke is there for money and social media attention."

Actually it was me who said that about Luke! I can't remember all the races of the exes. I do remember him saying that his most recent ex is biracial, Black and white. I think I remember him saying he'd dated an Iranian woman but I could be making that up (one of my best friends is an Iranian immigrant so maybe I'm projecting). Kate is a white "all-American type," blonde and blue-eyed, so it may be that she's not Luke's cup of tea. I'm curious to see what has Kate bawling in the bathroom in the previews because Luke seems like a decent guy so far.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Actually it was me who said that about Luke! I can't remember all the races of the exes. I do remember him saying that his most recent ex is biracial, Black and white. I think I remember him saying he'd dated an Iranian woman but I could be making that up (one of my best friends is an Iranian immigrant so maybe I'm projecting). Kate is a white "all-American type," blonde and blue-eyed, so it may be that she's not Luke's cup of tea. I'm curious to see what has Kate bawling in the bathroom in the previews because Luke seems like a decent guy so far.

Sorry for mis-quoting, Empress. And thanks for pointing out Luke's apparent preference for non-white women. I don't see anything wrong with it, but now Pastor Cal's hesitance to match him with Kate makes a lot of sense!

I don't feel like I know enough good things about Luke to call him "a decent guy so far".  I don't see his social media/street hustles (probably to pay off a car he couldn't really afford) as a stellar recommendation for the guy. But those horrible remarks in the preview for next week may have been taken completely out of context, quite deliberately, by MAFS producers. It's never 'safe' to assume otherwise! 

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 9

The thing that bugs me about AJ so far is he's bitchy about everyone having to accept his full throttle personality. He's got a 'thinks he's always the life of the party & never gonna stop because dammit he's FUN!' (even if he's being annoying) syndrome happening, & if someone is annoyed by it well fuck those dull downers because he's too awesome for them!

I'm curious to see how he handles situations & if he's ever able to dial it down, because I really think if this is him all. the. time. that shit's gonna get old fast. Then I think the question will be just how desperate is Stephanie...

• Love 9

I think AJ is in love with the cameras and being a reality “star”.  I can see Stephanie and AJ going through life drinking good sour beer.  They are a perfect reality show couple.

Jasmine and Will are okay, not full of drama, not good for a reality show.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

I'm with whoever upthread (sorry don't remember) said that Luke is in it for the internet fame, the endorsements, the social media game.  Luke "the hustler" (gag) is always after his next "thing", i.e. getting paid to shave his beard off (how stupid, why would anyone pay to see that?), his speed dating business, etc.  
    I'd be willing to bet that Luke has quite a few other hustling, money-making "games" up his sleeve, if onnnnnnnly he had just a little more exposure.  Enter poor, unsuspecting Kate.

I think you are right.  Out of all the guys, they like to throw a wrench in to make us all the more interested to see what happens.  A crummy thing to do in my opinion.  Kate looks like a nice sweet girl, and he looks like a player and has his side business to promote.  There’s usually one in the bunch to make us talk.

• Love 8

I recorded the first season episode where the winners are contacted!  AJ  was quite calm and very nice.  Not at all like we saw him at the wedding!  He was either drunk or was doing that nervous babbling!  Time will tell.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I recorded the first season episode where the winners are contacted!  AJ  was quite calm and very nice.  Not at all like we saw him at the wedding!  He was either drunk or was doing that nervous babbling!  Time will tell.

I thought that too.  I also thought I could see that thought on Stephanie's face during the wedding.  Like she was thinking, "He couldn't possibly be like that all the time, could he?"

I somehow think that even dialed down a few notches he'd still be insufferable, but I guess we'll find out.

It may just be me, but when Stephanie had her gown malfunction minutes before the wedding, it looked to me like she was seeing it as an omen in a way that she was making a big mistake.  I hope for her sake she's not, but her odds aren't good.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Waterlilly said:

AJ reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield in caddie shack

I also thought of Rodney Dangerfield in Easy money or Back to School.  One of my friend's growing up had a dad like Rodney in these movies and his marriage worked but it took a special women to appreciate the high energy levels and comments that were not always appropriate. Im not sure if Stephanie is the right women for AJ. It either is going to be a total disaster or a very fun relationship to watch.  

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 8

I think the people on this show are totally average-looking. No one is grotesque but no one is stunning, either. I don't mind this aspect of the show. If everyone was model gorgeous and constantly preening for the camera, I would feel like I was watching The Bachelor, and I never watch that crap.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, Sterling said:

When they were matching the couples up, Pastor Cal said "Kate would be a good match for Luke, if he would find her attractive".  Not an exact quote, but I re-watched it to make sure I heard that right.  Why wouldn't Luke be attracted?  She's adorable.  Could it be her weight?  She's adorable but not size 2 teensy tiny....was that it?

I noticed that too. These may be filmed after the fact, & it's one of those comments that gives me an internal "uh oh".

• Love 7

Luke has the desirable story line: The speed dater organizer who can't find love for himself...

Kate was Luke's match of least resistance.

Kate's story was not so unique...she is hurting from her parents' divorce, especially sad about her Dad who split...

From the getgo "the experts" knew Luke wasn't going to groove on her but was hoping they could both get along to last 7 weeks...rut roh

• Love 6

AJ is who he is unless a dark side complete with old mug shot and restraining orders surface (as is customary, expected-nay, REQUIRED of this show). If he is who he presents himself as then no harm no foul. But then you have the other guys like Luke who present themselves in a more socially expected way. Appropriate and good at first sight but then there is something so slimy, underhanded & conniving about them. How can you say "repulsed " about kissing your new bride?! And jumping into the audience to greet a random woman in the back row- whether he recognized her or not, was WEIRD. It's not a singles mixer! It's YOUR wedding!!! Greeting front row family/friends only is expected. If I was mom and saw that sh** I'd be like ummm wtf is anyone seeing this??!- KNOWING of course that it's a friend of my daughter's and not someone on groom's side. Call me crazy. 

Don't get me wrong. It's anyone's guess on this show bc by the very nature of signing up to F-list reality fame is really saying something about ALL involved.  

• Love 12
8 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

No one is grotesque but no one is stunning, either.

I think Kristine would beg to differ.........

19 hours ago, 2727 said:

AJ is a self-proclaimed WYSIWYG who's always open and straightforward. In other words, he has no filter or tact and thinks that's a plus.

You just summed him up perfectly, which is exactly why I get Ryan vibes from him. He is an embarrassment.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

How can you say "repulsed " about kissing your new bride?!

I've seen this question asked already, but not answered...when was Luke's quote about being repulsed kissing Kate shown?  I watched the previews and didn't see it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Jasmine and Will are this season’s Danielle and Bobby.

Hope they have a Mr. Henry or we will be watching paint dry....

I think it was Jasmine shown walking a cute little dog. Hope s/he gets a lot of screen time.

• Love 2

My husband concluded that Stephanie looks like Jodie Foster. I think it’s stephanie. The thin lipped chick. 

8 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

. In other words, he has no filter or tact and thinks that's a plus.

Also known as “The Ryan”

• Love 4
9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I've seen this question asked already, but not answered...when was Luke's quote about being repulsed kissing Kate shown?  I watched the previews and didn't see it.

I think it was the trailer for the entire season.  It's something else, you gotta see it.  Poor girl.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I think the people on this show are totally average-looking. No one is grotesque but no one is stunning, either. I don't mind this aspect of the show. If everyone was model gorgeous and constantly preening for the camera, I would feel like I was watching The Bachelor, and I never watch that crap.

This is my first season watching the show, but I have to say that I gave it a shot because of the average looking people! As a yet-unmarried woman myself, they are why I am invested. Except for Stephanie reminding us how desperate she is, I can relate to these people.

I refuse to watch The Bachelor because it’s ridiculous in so many ways (that somehow still makes it appealing to people), but I also agree with you: when every damn person looks like a model, I’m out. 

Lastly, the best podcast in the world, “Reality Cray Cray”, is covering this show (as well as 90 Day Fiance and Love After Lockup). The hosts said they were watching this season, so that also made me want to watch as well, simply to enjoy their snarktastic shows. I cannot tell you all how hilarious the hosts are. Make sure you’re not drinking any beverages when listening because you will spit them out!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Bridget said:

This is my first season watching the show, but I have to say that I gave it a shot because of the average looking people! As a yet-unmarried woman myself, they are why I am invested. Except for Stephanie reminding us how desperate she is, I can relate to these people.

I refuse to watch The Bachelor because it’s ridiculous in so many ways (that somehow still makes it appealing to people), but I also agree with you: when every damn person looks like a model, I’m out. 

Lastly, the best podcast in the world, “Reality Cray Cray”, is covering this show (as well as 90 Day Fiance and Love After Lockup). The hosts said they were watching this season, so that also made me want to watch as well, simply to enjoy their snarktastic shows. I cannot tell you all how hilarious the hosts are. Make sure you’re not drinking any beverages when listening because you will spit them out!

Where do I find Reality Cray Cray? Sounds fun.

do we know if we are getting Bride and Doom this season?

Edited by scruffy73
Correct mistake
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I've seen it in these forums then shown in an USWeekly article about the show. Sorry if that's illegal on these forums 😳I'll probably get another virtual bi**h slap. But I think I recall someone saying on here that it was out there in some preview but I have not caught that. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Bridget said:

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how The Bachelor finds all these size 0, unbelievably gorgeous models and puts them in one place for a whole season.  Walk through any shopping mall in America, and it's hard to find just one girl who looks like this, let alone a whole house full!

Which is why I like MAFS too.  The people are just normal human beings, looking for love.  Yes, there are some internet wh*res (I'm looking at you, Luke), but many people are honestly there, looking for love.

Re:  Reality Cray Cray.....thanks, I've added it to my subscriptions!

To find it:  Use any podcast app, or Spotify, Stitcher, etc.  I just use the podcast app that's native to my iPhone (the little purple app).  Free, and so entertaining!

• Love 4

I didn't really like any of the wedding dresses, Jasmine looked really close to having the girls slip out a lot of the time.

Do they get paid more each time they talk about being nervous, brave and what a big risk they are taking?  They could have made it a one hour show, and covered all the weddings just about, if they had edited that down a bit.

• Love 7
On 1/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, Madding crowd said:

What was with AJ’s family and friends wanting Stephanie to know he will never let her leave home with a hair out of place? Sounds kind of creepy unless he is a hair stylist on the side. I like everyone else so far.

Still can’t stand them asking the contestants sex questions and Pepper going thru underwear drawers. None of your business how much toilet paper I have !

I have another take on the "hair out of place" thing.  I have very fine, flyaway hair with bangs.  The least little bit of breeze messes it up.  I'll be in a restaurant with my husband (and son), go to the restroom, see that it's messed up, and then tell them I can't believe they didn't tell me how messed up my hair looked.  I might appreciate a guy who would pay attention enough to let me know those things.  Don't get me wrong, I'm crazy about my husband and son, but they just don't notice things like that.

• Love 7

Wondering what is wrong with a 37-year-old who isn't married...we aren't all created equal when it comes to the dating market. I met my husband at 38 and married at 40, so no judgment for my fellow late bloomers, but I'm a white lady. College-educated straight black men are wildly outnumbered by college-educated straight black women. There's no other group with such a significant numerical advantage. Lincoln University is about 60/40 women, and that's more balanced than a lot of other HBCUs. So that does make me think that if Will wanted to find his Jasmine earlier, he could have.

• Love 5

Sweating and bad breath and poor hygiene might knock a few of these nearly 40's out of the marry me game!  Remember Jon of the sweaty arm pits!  He's with Dr Jessica now.  There was another but memory fails me right now!

I had to DVR this and was exhausted from a trip so only watched the introductions and weddings. Jasmine and Will seem ok so far.

AJ seems like he has adult ADHD. He seems to like to be the center of attention and has to be ON all the time. He reminds of Chris Elliott from the movie Theres Something About Mary. I hope he settles down because I think Stephanie is lovely. I’d like to see her happy.

I don’t know why The experts picked Luke. He runs a dating service, he could have found someone thru there. Did he say he knew Kate from there? Is he going to think that’s a  bad thing like last season, the couple who knew each other from the gym? And that didn’t work out (an omen)? 

• Love 4

Kristine:  Any woman who thinks she's a queen is automatically considered P&D material.  There's no way a quality man will tolerate that much attitude for long.  29 and "nonexistent" dating life, there's a reason for that.  Nice body, though.

Keith:  Genuine, good dude.  He seems too reserved, like they picked him solely to not dump Kristine after the first week.  He says, "If she can't cook, it's a deal breaker."  So MAFS matches him with a self-proclaimed queen who I guarantee doesn't cook.

Kate:  This is the sweetest, most vulnerable girl in MAFS history.  So far I almost like her more than my sweet Ashley from season 5.  Being dumped by that Jewish kid did a number on her.  Her Yoga game is strugglin'.

Luke:  So MAFS took a sweet girl like Kate and matched her with a street hustler who's clearly not sincere about the show concept.  Sad!

Jasmine:  Another girl with baby rabies. 

Will:  Well, they might have actually made a good decision here.  Took a girl who can't wait to have kids and paired her with an older dude who wants the same and who values a stable marriage.

Stephanie:  "I am career oriented" with wanderlust and she dates men who won't commit to her.  Shockingly, she's 35 and alone.  In good shape for 35.  Maybe she's desperate enough to accept.....

AJ:  I must be missing something because this dude seems like a complete douche yet spent over 10 years in sales.  Most salesmen need people skills.  No idea about this guy.  A few grand in surgery can help his face but that "cheesy", "dorky" personality is a tough fix.

• Love 9
(edited)

The wholesome way Kate was riding and grinding interacting with that Chippendale stripper was very sweet.....her enthusiasm infectious...hope she washed her hands after that encounter with the exotic dancer and that sticky chair...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, palmaire said:

Unless she marries Nate Duhon!

I'm not sure I recall Sheila describing herself that way, although fake 'playa' Nate was constantly calling her "his queen" - while cheating the whole time.

Maybe Christine expects to be pampered & doted on, but we'll see. I'm not sure I heard it mentioned whether or not she cooks, & that's a deal breaker for him, so some possible disappointment for him coming.

12 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

AJ:  I must be missing something because this dude seems like a complete douche yet spent over 10 years in sales.  Most salesmen need people skills. 

Many "complete douches" spend many successful years selling. As with any other profession, who they are while working is not necessarily who they are to the people closest to them.

• Love 2
On 1/2/2019 at 11:24 PM, humbleopinion said:

Luke's moment of honesty...that he is repulsed and feels dead inside when he kisses Kate..... blows his good guy cover forever and makes his mother's statement that his MAFS marriage  makes a mockery of the institution very prophetic and astute... from the lady in blue with the low hanging fruit....

Blessed be the fruit!

• Love 6
On 1/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, Palomar said:

Really, Courtney/Jason are no longer together?  Bummer if true.

It really seems like they are not. He lives in NY and she’s in NC full time. 

Edited because I wasn’t sure if what I posted would be considered a spoiler 

Edited by JAndy