Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Rock And Roll Hall of Fame - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Who else but Dolly Parton would write a rock song to “earn” her place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I totally love and respect that woman, even though I’m not really a country fan, though I loved her country pop stuff in the 70s (along with John Denver and Kenny Rogers’ music)

• Love 2
On 12/10/2022 at 8:41 PM, DanaK said:

Who else but Dolly Parton would write a rock song to “earn” her place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Yes!  She initially tried to decline the nomination (which the HoF in turn declined to rescind), but after having it explained how broadly "Rock and Roll" is defined for these purposes, she graciously accepted, but still expressed her reservations about those more deserving:  "When I said that, it was always my belief that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was for the people in rock music, and I have found out lately that it’s not necessarily that. But if they can’t go there to be recognized, where do they go? So I just felt like I would be taking away from someone that maybe deserved it, certainly more than me, because I never considered myself a rock artist. But obviously, there’s more to it than that.”

And then decided to not just write a song about this story, but start on recording a whole rock & roll album, combining covers and originals, to properly calm her conscience, invite some new-to-her artists for cameos, and further stretch herself (the woman loves music, in pretty much all its forms).

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

2023 RRHOF Nominees

Willie Nelson*

Kate Bush

Missy Elliott*

George Michael*

Sheryl Crow*

A Tribe Called Quest

Iron Maiden

Joy Division/New Order*

Cyndi Lauper*

Rage Against the Machine

Soundgarden

The Spinners

The White Stripes*

Warren Zevon

*First time nominee

Yay! Joy Division/New Order. They were the soundtrack to my bar/club days back in the day. 

I just can't believe the White Stripes have been around long enough. Seems like only yesterday, I bought their first CD. 

Very happy with Soundgarden and I just adore Kate Bush. I normally am not much of a fan of female singers but I have always liked her. And I'm glad to see Cyndi in there too. 

Edited by libgirl2

yeah, its one thing when its the bands of my teenage/early 20s years getting nominated.  its a lot different when its bands I started listening to in my 30s are now getting nominated.  thanks Jack White.

• LOL 2

i finally got to watch the induction ceremony for 2022.  it was really good. all the performer-inductees sounded very good, even considering their age.  it was good to see some long overdue musicians finally get inducted like Pat Benatar.  Loved Dolly's new song.

• Like 3

Where else were we going to see Rob Halford sing with Dolly Parton?

I'm a no on Sheryl Crow. I don't think anything she's done is Hall of Fame worthy, and her voice and songwriting are only mediocre. Yes on Cyndi Lauper and Willie Nelson. Bit late for Warren Zevon but he deserves to be there. Everyone else I'm pretty neutral on. 

• Like 3

Start off with Sheryl Crow, accompanied by Olivia Rodrigo (this gen xer likes Olivia a lot).  Sheryl looks and sounds great!

Laura Dern does Crow’s induction intro.  sounds like Laura lived with Sheryl for a time.  Sheryl then sang with Stevie Nicks, and they definitely upped Sheryl’s mike, could barely hear Stevie (but maybe Stevie lost some of her voice).  Next joined by Peter Frampton on the guitar (he still has it).  Very nice speech Sheryl

LL Cool J inducts DJ Kool Herc, the father of hip hop. New information to me, always good.

Next, Jasmine Sullivan introduces Chaka Khan.  I recognize some of her songs but most of the music and information was also new to me.  She still sounds fantastic and dang did she say great grand mother? Performs with Common, Sia and H.E.R. Sia’s act is … interesting.

Andrew Ridgeley, of course, inducts George Michael. “Over egg the pudding” is my new band name, lol.  Tribute songs sung by Miguel, Adam Levine and Carrie Underwood.

The Spinners. Lots of songs I remember.  New Edition performs some of their songs.  

Don Cornelius, award for Soul Train.  I remember watching the show as a young child.  

Link Wray inducted for a guitar lick.  Okay.  Sure its memorable, but this is getting a little too in the weeds, imo.

Big boy inducts Kate Bush.  Definitely a unique artist, who I think got lucky that her song got a lot of exposure in Stranger Things.

Al Kooper up next.  Recognize the music but never knew about him,

Dave Matthews inducts Willie Nelson.  Amazing how he is still doing so well.

Elton John gets to induct Bernie Taupin.  About time.

Ice T inducts Rage Against the Machine.  Great speech by Tom.  Sorry we don’t get a performance , but not surprised that not everyone in the band appreciated the induction.

Queen Latifa inducts Missy Elliott.  Super performance and great way to end the show that celebrated a lot of black artists.

Edited by Hanahope
14 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Whose hare-brained idea was it to let Cheryl Crow sing Crazy???? A travesty!

Eh, she sang it at the special for Willie's 90th birthday celebration/concert and agree she wouldn't have been my choice.  I'm more interested in when Willie and Dave Matthews became friends.

• Like 2

I liked the New Edition performance for the Spinners and the performers for Willie Nelson--minus Sheryl Crow.

I'd heard of Rage Against the Machine but never heard any of their music.  I didn't like the guy's speech at the end.  He was probably trying to give an uplifting speech, but he sounded like he was inciting people to riot, especially with the footage of rioters that was shown.  

Which is amusing since Cher just ripped into them a few months ago for never nominating her and said

...the museum's voting committee can "go you-know-what themselves."

"You know what, I wouldn't be in it now if they gave me a million dollars," she told host Kelly Clarkson. "I'm never going to change my mind."