Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Rock And Roll Hall of Fame - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
18 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Lol! I thought the same thing too, gotta be up there and looks damn good for his age.

I got choked up when they talked about Rick Allen's accident. I remember that happening and thinking how that poor man would never be able to perform again but I was more than happy to be oh so wrong about that.

Rock of Ages is still such an awesome frickin' song.

I loved hearing Brian May speak of his friendship with Joe Elliott and what they meant to each other with the respective losses of Freddie Mercury and Steve Clark. I especially loved hearing that oh so distinctive rock chord from Brian May and Joe Elliott peeking over his shoulder to say, paraphrasing, "that's gotta be Brian May".

I wish Janet performed. I've always been a big fan of hers but it is so sad that I look at her and see Michael's face and hear his voice.

Loooooved Stevie Nicks. For however old she is she still sounds pretty good. I loved the story about her shawl, $3000 back in the 80's. What was it made of? What would it cost now to make something like that. I'll tell you what, she must take very good care of her toys that it still looks brand new some 30 years later.

I didn't get what the connection was to the last performance of All the Young Dudes.

You are not the only one. I seen her perform and she is that good. I think the documentary itself did that in for her to not perform, but she has nothing to do with MJ's lifestyle. That was all him. She was just his kid sister. She might love her family and brothers, but she already established herself away from them a long time ago. I hated how the estate was upset about her not defending her brother. I know she's did defend him in the past, but she realized she is too old for this. Janet is so much better without them. She made a nice speech about her little toddler son, though.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1

100% true, she's not her brother. Heh, I still think of her as Penny from Good Times. Just a real shame how the Jackson legacy is so tainted now. I hope she's still planning to perform and make new music. Also, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis? Those men haven't aged a day!

• Love 1

Yeah, All the Young Dudes seemed random, but I love the song, so I just went with it. I noticed Little Steven up there and realized that they never showed us the singles that were inducted this year. Last year was the first year that they inducted singles that "changed rock history" (done by groups that have not gotten into the HOF, like Louie Louie) and Steven Van Zandt inducted them. Seeing him up there for All the Young Dudes makes me think that he once again inducted the singles, but they cut it from the final edit. I read that the actual ceremony was five hours long, and they had to cut it to two hours for HBO. 

Maybe there was something cut from the final broadcast that explained Ian Hunter being there, and the connection with the song? Sounded good, though.

Question: Stevie Nick's hair. Real thing, or extensions? And I saw that Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and I THINK I saw Christine McVie in the audience. Lindsey Buckingham was noticeably absent. The one person from FM who is most closely associated with Nicks, and he didn't show? I know he left the group in a snit last year, and Mike Campbell from Tom Petty's surviving band, the Heartbreakers, replaced him on the most recent tour. He must still be pissed. 

On 5/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Yeah, All the Young Dudes seemed random, but I love the song, so I just went with it. I noticed Little Steven up there and realized that they never showed us the singles that were inducted this year. Last year was the first year that they inducted singles that "changed rock history" (done by groups that have not gotten into the HOF, like Louie Louie) and Steven Van Zandt inducted them. Seeing him up there for All the Young Dudes makes me think that he once again inducted the singles, but they cut it from the final edit. I read that the actual ceremony was five hours long, and they had to cut it to two hours for HBO. 

Maybe there was something cut from the final broadcast that explained Ian Hunter being there, and the connection with the song? Sounded good, though.

Question: Stevie Nick's hair. Real thing, or extensions? And I saw that Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and I THINK I saw Christine McVie in the audience. Lindsey Buckingham was noticeably absent. The one person from FM who is most closely associated with Nicks, and he didn't show? I know he left the group in a snit last year, and Mike Campbell from Tom Petty's surviving band, the Heartbreakers, replaced him on the most recent tour. He must still be pissed. 

I for one would watch all 5 hours.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Haha! Probably a bit. Can’t say about Stevie’s hair but she looks great.

Interesting that but for Stevie and Janet, it was all British bands.

Neither Stevie nor Joe have their high range anymore, but they both still sound good, and look good too.

i was never a fan of Roxy Music or the Cure.  I could handle Roxy, but the Cure’s sound just grates on me, always has.  Roxy just bored me. 

i loved seeing the Zombies.  They were a bit before my time, but I remember hearing their hits as a child. They really sounded good. 

I was disappointed that Janet didn’t perform. 

What was up with Radiohead that only 2 showed up?  I know a few songs, Creep obviously, and they’re ok.  I was hoping to hear them play. 

The introductions were all well done.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:07 AM, Commando Cody said:

I question some of the people they bring on to present. Why did Harry Styles introduce Stevie Nicks?

Because Irving Azoff manages both of them and he is desperately trying to make Harry a serious artist.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

Lindsey Buckingham was noticeably absent. The one person from FM who is most closely associated with Nicks, and he didn't show? I know he left the group in a snit last year, and Mike Campbell from Tom Petty's surviving band, the Heartbreakers, replaced him on the most recent tour. He must still be pissed. 

They kicked him out and he is suing them.

• Love 1

Looking forward to seeing Trent perform, and maybe the Doobie Brothers.  Not really up for the rest.  hopefully the tribute to Whitney will have decent singers, they've been hit and miss with that.

• Love 1

I did watch last night, but it was mostly just background noise.  Frankly I enjoyed last year's pandemic show with no audience more even though we didn't get live performances.  As far as performances went Brandi Carlile's cover of All I Have To Do is Dream was so sweet and perfect, and LL Cool J was fun. 

• Love 1

I thought this was one of the strongest classes.  spanned my entire life, from early childhood (Carol King, Billy Preston) to adolescence (Go Gos, Tina Turner, Randy Rhodes) and adulthood (Foo Fighters).  gave me more information about artists I knew a little about and recognized some songs, even if I didn't closely follow their career (Todd Rundgren, LL Cool J, Jay-Z), and educated me on other artists I hadn't heard much about before (Kraftwerk, Charley Patton, Clarence Avant, Gil Scott Heron - though i did become familiar with some of his work in the last couple of years - thanks to certain TV shows).

I know that many schools teach music history in middle and/or high school, but it focuses mostly on classical and such.  I really think they need to teach more contemporary music history because there's a lot of important and meaningful music over the last 60 or so years.

Great performances by everyone.  I loved Paul McCartney's comparison of his life to Dave Grohl's.  I didn't know the Go-Gos had gotten back together, good for them!

• Love 6
On 11/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, CherryMalotte said:

I did watch last night, but it was mostly just background noise.  Frankly I enjoyed last year's pandemic show with no audience more even though we didn't get live performances.  As far as performances went Brandi Carlile's cover of All I Have To Do is Dream was so sweet and perfect, and LL Cool J was fun. 

I agree! I really thought last year's show was innovative and easier to watch. I really liked the format rather than the large gathering of celebs and industry insiders. My one complaint about this year's show was the length of the acceptance speeches and some of the introductions. I just fast forwarded through some of them. Drew Barrymore was annoying and loud. Loved Patti Smith however...her thoughts and rememberances of Todd Rundgren both professionally and personally were well done. I was a big Rundgren fan in college and kind of lost touch with his music as the years rolled by so I enjoyed hearing about his other talents as a producer and writer. Love the Foo Fighters but Dave sounded like he was losing his voice...otherwise they rocked it as usual! I hope the Rock Hall puts Carly Simon in for induction in 2022. All of her peers such as Carol King, Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell, etc.etc. are in...she deserves it too as a songwriter and singer.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I hope the Rock Hall puts Carly Simon in for induction in 2022.

ITA!  Los Lobos, War, Tribe Called Quest...I think we are in the right spot for some different nominees.  I know it's all bullshit anyway but it's a nice thought.  

• Love 1

The RRHoF has been a joke for a long time thanks to Jan Wenner's involvement and personal grudges. The bands/artists that haven't been inducted would make a pretty good Hall of Fame. 

Here are stats on a 70s-80s rock band that is NOT in, and hasn't even been nominated:

• Over 50 million in certified (not claimed) sales
  • Their first five albums went 5X, 7X, 5X, 6X, and 3X platinum
  • 9 top 10 singles (7 top 5s)
  • Significant radio airplay across multiple decades

The band? Foreigner.  They have a better pedigree than 75% of the artists currently in and will likely never sniff induction. And that's a shame.

• Love 3

Mostly enjoyed it as usual. I never know every single artist but they usually make it an interesting show and they did well this year. Loved the Go-Gos, though Drew Barrymore was way overloud in her intro but she was clearly overwhelmed and excited 

On 12/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The RRHoF has been a joke for a long time thanks to Jan Wenner's involvement and personal grudges. The bands/artists that haven't been inducted would make a pretty good Hall of Fame. 

yeah, there's a whole lot of 80s bands that have never been nominated.

On 12/21/2021 at 9:21 AM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The bands/artists that haven't been inducted would make a pretty good Hall of Fame. 

29 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

yeah, there's a whole lot of 80s bands that have never been nominated.

I could never fathom how the B-52's could be overlooked.

• Love 6

I recently watched the most recent ceremony and loved it!   I especially love Carol King, so……that was super special.  I was vaguely aware of Tapestry as a kid, but fell in love with it as an adult.  Probably, my favorite album…or at least in top 5.

I can’t recall one of these induction ceremonies  that I didn’t love.  They are just my kind of thing.  To me, the production is really good.  They have just the right amount of tribute, speeches, old footage, performance and audience response.  

My all time favorite is from 1995…zeppelin, Neil Young, Janice Joplin, Al Green, B-52s, …….I have it recorded on a VHS tape somewhere.  🤩

I couldn’t find a trailer link.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Begin Rant-

Dolly Parton is not Rock and Roll. She is pure country. She belongs in the Country Hall of Fame, not the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Also, how is Carly Simon not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

-Rant Over

Here is the link to vote for inductees. 

https://vote.rockhall.com/en/

Dolly Parton is a national treasure and she belongs in every hall of fame everywhere.  

Dolly did have a couple of crossover hits with 9 to 5 and Islands in the Stream with Kenny Rogers.

Dolly also wrote the iconic I Will Always Love You which was a monster hit for Whitney Houston, who is in the Rock Hall of Fame.

I agree with you about Carly, though and will toss in Pat Benatar for good measure.

• Love 5
On 3/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, chitowngirl said:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seems to be morphing into the Pop Music Hall of Fame. It’s a blurry line in the sand, I know…

oh it already crossed that blurry line a long time ago.

• Love 2

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame seems to be morphing into the Pop Music Hall of Fame. It’s a blurry line in the sand, I know…

If you only count rock and roll as music featuring (mostly white) guys with electric instruments and drums, it hasn't been strictly rock since day one. 

I hope it becomes more pop.  How is Mariah Carey, a woman who has always wrote most of her songs, any less worthy than Soundgarden or the flipping Foo Fighters of all bands.

Edited by junemeatcleaver
  • Love 3
On 5/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, Dirtybubble said:

Well it's about G.D. time Duran Duran made it in!  GAH!  How did they get overlooked year after year?

Ditto Pat Benatar. So glad she finally made it in after another attempt (maybe more?). Had bunches of her albums when I was a tween. (Yes, a tween. "Heartbreaker" came out even before that, when I was 7, and as I reached 11 or 12, my parents got me many of her records! Good times.)

• Love 4

I love watching this but this year is seemed so long...four hours! Maybe too many inductees? I had to skip through some things since it was so long. But loved Pat Benetar, Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp singing "Great Balls of Fire", Lionel Ritchie and Dave Grohl jamming and Dolly Parton strutting out with an electric guitar...it was disappointing that Carly Simon couldn't be there but totally understandable since she had just lost her two sisters (a day apart from each other) to cancer. Olivia Roderigo and Sara Barielles did a fine job of singing several of Carly's hits.

Wishful thinking on my part but I would love to see Redbone get inducted next year...first and only Native American group to have top hit and a body of work that included work that dealt with Native American history and culture. 

On 3/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, Rootbeer said:

Dolly Parton is a national treasure and she belongs in every hall of fame everywhere.  

Dolly did have a couple of crossover hits with 9 to 5 and Islands in the Stream with Kenny Rogers.

Dolly also wrote the iconic I Will Always Love You which was a monster hit for Whitney Houston, who is in the Rock Hall of Fame.

I agree with you about Carly, though and will toss in Pat Benatar for good measure.

I personally wrote a letter to Jon Landau who heads up the nominating commitee and asked for him to please nominate Carly Simon to the Hall of Fame. Every fellow woman singer/songwriter her age had been inducted but her. Don't know if he ever read my letter but I'd like to think he did...long overdue for her. Too bad she couldn't be there. I can't imagine the grief that she is dealing with with both of her sisters passing away a day apart. Her brother died a few years ago...she's the only one left. Very sad.

• Love 3

This induction ceremony has to be up there with the best of all time. Fantastic performances. Even though some of the old timers don't have the range they once did, they've learned to compensate well.

I'm sorry that Carly Simon wasn't there in person but Sara Bareilles and Olivia Rodrigo performed her songs very well.

Duran Duran were great. Simon's voice is still strong and true.

I'm not particularly an Eminem fan, but that was absolutely the performance of the night. I was definitely not expecting him to be sharing the stage with Ed Sheeran!

Dave Grohl on stage with Lionel Richie was fun.

I adore Dolly Parton, but I still think it was a stretch to add her to the RNRHOF. She knows it too, but her acceptance speech was genuine. I didn't think she deserved the final slot of the evening, but having an all-star cast on stage singing "Jolene" was a lot of fun to witness. 🙂

Well worth the watch!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Wishful thinking on my part but I would love to see Redbone get inducted next year...first and only Native American group to have top hit and a body of work that included work that dealt with Native American history and culture. 

That would be cool, or at least to have "Come and Get Your Love" inducted as a HOF song. They don't do that every year though.

Along those lines, have you watched Rumble? It's currently on Netflix, among other platforms. It's an excellent documentary.

RUMBLE: THE INDIANS WHO ROCKED THE WORLD is a feature documentary about the role of Native Americans in popular music history.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Along those lines, have you watched Rumble? It's currently on Netflix, among other platforms. It's an excellent documentary.

This is an excellent documentary!  

It was a great show.  I actually appreciate Duran Duran way more now, I kinda hated/was sick of them during their teeny bopper magazine screaming fan days.  Boy I remember when MTV played them over and over and over...

Pat Benatar sounds great, looks beautiful, as does Annie Lennox.  I love to see rocker women age naturally, rather than wearing some over botoxed plumpy looking death mask.   Or if you do something, just do it small. 

I'd love to see Devo make it next round.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I love watching this but this year is seemed so long...four hours!

4 hours on HBO, 5.5 hours at the actual ceremony. I have no idea what was cut besides a technical glitch at the beginning of Girls on Film. Did not like Olivia Roderigo and Sara Barielles, also kept wondering why Olivia was dressed like a streetwalker on Ninth Avenue. Alanis Morissette was supposed to join them on the tribute and dropped out citing "an overarching anti-woman sentiment”. Really appreciated John Mellencamp's impassioned speech against antisemitism. 

Dolly wrote a whole new song about being country and rock and of course, comes out in a black leather outfit with chains and rhinestones, paired with a matching electric guitar.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, ProudMary said:

That would be cool, or at least to have "Come and Get Your Love" inducted as a HOF song. They don't do that every year though.

RUMBLE: THE INDIANS WHO ROCKED THE WORLD is a feature documentary about the role of Native Americans in popular music history.

Yes! I watched it a couple of years ago when it was released. Excellent documentary...the Hall of Fame needs to recognize the contributions of Native Americans to rock music...I would also like to see Buffy St.Marie inducted at some point for her contributions as a singer /songwriter...along those lines...also Rita Coolidge.

Edited by Hedgehog2022
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Yes! I watched it a couple of years ago when it was released. Excellent documentary...the Hall of Fame needs to recognize the contributions of Native Americans to rock music...I would also like to see Buffy St.Marie inducted at some point for her contributions as a singer /somgwriter...along those lines...also Rita Coolidge.

AND, let's talk about the man behind the film's title. Link Wray belongs in the RNRHOF based just on that riff! Its influence cannot be overstated. Put the man in! Metal, punk, grunge: None would be what they are, were it not for "Rumble." Minimally, the song itself should be honored and Link Wray as an influence. 

• Love 2

This was the best RRHOF Induction Ceremony in quite a while.

My favorite performance?  Lionel Richie.  That man was coked out of his mind, combining his mastery of his craft with some big Randy Watson stage presence.  I love Pat Benatar, Dolly, Duran Duran, Carly Simon and Judas Priest, but Lionel fucking stole that show.