Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Rock And Roll Hall of Fame - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wasn't happy about that either. I think they were inducted as part of the "Early Influences" category and don't get the same tribute as a result.

Oh, I didn't know they had "categories."  I was just so disappointed that they didn't have someone do a song tribute.  They deserved it.

Kind of how I feel about Stevie Wonder. Sorry.

I'm tired of them dragging Stevie out, too, but at least he can say he's a "legend."  John isn't.

I finally got around to watching this.  I really could have done with Miley Cyrus speaking for Joan Jett, especially since she started out by telling us when she first decided she wanted to have sex with Joan.  While she improved with her following comments, starting with a "joke" that objectifies a woman is not the best way to start, especially since few women are inducted.  I've met Joan; she is extraordinary and did so much for women in rock.  

When I saw the list, I knew Ringo would be the closer.  I did not enjoy his performance at all.  Bill Withers chose to sing very little because his voice is not as powerful as it once was (and such a beautiful, rich voice he had).   Ringo just pranced around bellowing like the world's proudest sick moose.  

As an avid (rabid?) Beatles fan, I'll easily concede that Ringo has never been the strongest of singers. (Hence being a drummer, I guess! Although the few whimsical Beatles songs he was allowed to contribute did seem to suit his style...) But for his deficiencies, I do admire that he still has enthusiasm and a bit of charisma. And I give him a solid A for effort, anyway, since the 99% that now uses auto tune to go with image rather than allowing the music to take center stage seems to be the norm. So any musician that is brave enough to go without it gets major points in my book. Or maybe I'm just old.

Maybe riding on fumes this long isn't a good thing, but considering Ringo and his band mates did literally help to change the musical landscape once upon a time, well...I cut Ringo some slack. But that is truly just my opinion on the matter.  :-)

• Love 3

The 2016 inductees have been announced. They are:

Cheap Trick

Chicago

Deep Purple

N.W.A

Steve Miller

Miller is going in by himself. I don't follow the Steve Miller Band that closely, but I imagine there's a few other guys who were around long enough (especially during the 60's and 70's) that they could have been inducted with him. 

Deep Purple is the best in class among this group for me, truly a band that I think should have been a long time ago. I'm fine with the others, although I think N.W.A is probably the only other one of the five besides Deep Purple that I would vote for.

I'm good with Deep Purple, Chicago and NWA, but a bit of a loss over Steve Miller and Cheap Trick.  Both created good music sure, but 'lasting impact' or 'influence' on music, I'm not so sure about.  I mean, Cheap Trick, really?  Why not UFO, Journey, Styx, Foreigner, or all those bands that reached pretty high popularity back then?

The show is on Saturday night, the 30th on HBO 7pm CST.  I am really looking forward to seeing Chicago perform - and Cheap Trick.  The husband has the original Chicago Transit Authority lp and I've heard it many times over the years...boy it's good.  I'm curious to see the NWA tribute as well - I used to love aggravating the yuppie scum neighbors by sticking my speakers in my bedroom window and cranking up Straight Outta Compton many moons ago.

Now I feel old...

Wait it's TONIGHT!!!??  The same night as the White House Correspondents Dinner??  Now I'm even more grateful for my DVR so I don't have to choose between NWA and Larry Wilmore.  And I'm fully aware both get put online almost instantly but there's nothing like watching on the TV.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

Why not Cheap Trick? I thought they stole the show. Well, until Prince stole it at the very end. 

I totally agree.  While I enjoyed seeing Steve Miller and the raunchy guy from Chicago, and it was interesting to see what David Coverdale looks like now, the reason I tuned in was for Cheap Trick and the In Memoriam segment (and the Glenn Frey tribute song).  I love Cheap Trick, and their first two performed songs ("I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender") are some of the best and most iconic rock anthems ever made.   I have absolutely no problem with them being inducted.

I didn't know the Prince segment was going to be tacked on to the end, because the Ceremony was filmed before his passing, but I was delighted and sad when I saw it.

• Love 1

Same here. The main reason I watched was for Cheap Trick, and they didn't disappoint. They deserved to be there as much as the other inductees, none of whom had me singing along like they did! The Glenn Frey tribute had me choked up ("New Kid" is my fav song of his) and then...Prince. *sigh* I knew the ceremony was taped before his death so I wasn't expecting it. 

• Love 2

Boy, it was a good show wasn't it?  Cheap Trick was great, Chicago's set was tight, and New Kid In Town was really beautiful.  Can't say I'm the biggest Deep Purple fan but Lars gave a nice intro and the members seem to be really honored and humbled to be there.  I so wish NWA had performed, or that there had been a performance tribute by some of the young rap artists that have been inspired by them.  

Here's hoping that Yes, X, Warren Zevon, Chic, Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, and Chic get closer the next time around.  I don't hate Madonna mind you, but why on earth she's included before X just flabbergasts me.   

Thrilled to see Cheap Trick inducted.  Not a life-long fan - but loved the Live at Budokan album when it was released, and know those classic songs so well.  Remember talking about the album with other friends in the late 70's   Glad to see they resolved their feud  with Carlos before the ceremony - didn't show at all there had been a problem.  Professional - glad to see. 

Also glad to see the tribute to Prince at the end and to rewatch his great guitar solo to "While My Guitar Gently Sleeps."  I still can't get over his death.

• Love 2
(edited)

Great show, all the performances were top notch.  I would have liked to see NWA perform too, anyone know why they didn't?  It was nice to be reminded of all the hits Steve Miller had and I had no idea his godfather was Les Paul, how cool is that.  I've always liked Cheap Trick, Robin Zander was one of my first crushes as a tween.  Still not 100% convinced they were/are that special, but there's a lot of other performers inducted that I don't even know or think even less of that are in the Hall, so can't really complain too much.  I thought it was cool that several versions of Deep Purple was inducted, since they don't always do that for a band. I have to admit, the first time I saw a Whitesnake video, I had no idea who David Coverdale was, only that he sounded like Robert Plant and obviously came from some other band, since he looked to be about 40 compared to the 20-something  backing band.  I didn't know he was a replacement singer for Ian Gillan of Deep Purple (which my older sister listened to a lot and who introduced me to all the brit-rock bands). The extra Prince bit at the end was very nice.

Edited by Hanahope
(edited)

Bless your spirit Prince, where ever you are...

In all the years that I've watched this show, the credit roll has never been where I found the star of the show, or the star who stole the show, until this year.  I cannot count how many times I have rewound and fast forwarded just to see The Purple Wonder.  

I wanted to see Chicago most of all, I love them, I have a ton their albums. I also wanted to hear the controversial Cube/NWA speak. I had a feeling they wouldn't perform, but Cube has come a long way. Out of all of them, he's the one that I first took notice of because of Boyz N The Hood. It's a great movie IMO.

Sheryl Crow  and Grace Potter who I am not all that familiar with, were good too. Great harmony. 

Edited by represent
(edited)

Disappointing that Peter Cetera chose not to come. They tried to settle their differences and include him, but he decided not to participate. I guess he made some demands, one of them being the key that 25 or 6 to 4 was going to be performed in. My guess is that his voice can't quite hit those notes anymore.  This was a once in a lifetime honor. It's too bad he couldn't show up for it. 

My parents had all the early Chicago LP's. I remember my favorite being "the Chocolate album" (Chicago X). Cheap Trick's Budokan album came out when I was in high school. So, I was looking forward to this. It did not disappoint. I still remember when I heard about Terry Kath's death on WLS (classic Chicago AM radio station) and I woke up my parents to tell them.

Is it me, or does Kid Rock always look in desperate need of a shower?

There seems to be an effort to not include the rock groups that defined the late 70's/early 80's. Groups like Styx, Journey, Foreigner, REO. They were branded as "corporate rock." Perhaps that's the rub. Plus, they all seemed to sell out to pop music, releasing sappy ballads like Babe, Open Arms, Keep on Loving You, I Want to Know What Love Is. All very successful singles, but teetering on the verge of sounding like Air Supply.  Chicago also did this in the 80's. They got very pop-ish once Terry Kath died.  There are some interesting feuds going on in some of these bands. Dennis DeYoung vs. Tommy Shaw and JY Young. I'm Team Tommy and JY, there. They're the rockers. Dennis represents the slower, more pop version of Styx. I will never forgive Dennis for Mr. Roboto. Yikes. So bad, Then there's Steve Perry vs. the rest of Journey. My guess is that if any of these groups go in, we might see no shows like Cetera did this year. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
spell check
  • Love 3
(edited)

Kid rock doesn't just look like he needs a shower.  He looks like he should be hosed down then given a silkwood shower and all of his clothes should be burned.  Before he threw it out, I kept thinking "Kid, did you bring enough gum for the class?"

Chicago kicked ass.  It's funny; so many of the speeches were justifying why the various inductees were rock and deserved to be inducted.  Obviously the speeches always cover the reason for induction.  However, this year they were particularly pointed in their justifications, basically I know you think they don't belong but let me tell you why they do.  Then Chicago tears into their songs.  Well played, gentlemen, well played.

Cheap Trick was great, but to me that was expected.  They are a great band live. 

I really wish NWA had performed or, if not, other artists covered their work.  They were an incredibly important group.  I kept waiting for someone to say Ni**az Wit Attitude rather than the initials.  I wonder if they were told not to since it seemed so awkward at times to hear NWA.   

Edited by Muffyn
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/1/2016 at 9:55 PM, Muffyn said:

I really wish NWA had performed or, if not, other artists covered their work.  They were an incredibly important group.  I kept waiting for someone to say Ni**az Wit Attitude rather than the initials.  I wonder if they were told not to since it seemed so awkward at times to hear NWA.   

Edited May 1 by Muffyn.

After watching Straight Outta Compton I think I understand why NWA didn't perform themselves, at least I'm assuming it was because they just didn't think anyone should take Eazy-E's place .  Frankly, given many recent events, I think many of their songs (certainly some of the more popular ones) are just as valid today as back then.  But perhaps it wasn't the "right" crowd either (not to mention how much would need to be bleeped for television).

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

Can't can't believe that Steve Perry didn't play with Journey. Steve Perry is the voice of Journey.  Arnel Pineda mimics Steve Perry very well but that's all he is doing.

From all I've read, the issues with Steve Perry are he apparently now has anxiety, which means live performing is probably out. I've also read - for the great voice he has/had - he also had the ego to match it. Add in I think he had some sort of surgery some time ago, for melanoma, and I read he has issues with his hip, and I'm not all that surprised that he was a no show.

Feuds seem to be de rigeur now. Journey had one, Styx had one, and Pearl Jam had one with their former drummer (one of them as they had...five, I think), Dave Abbruzzese, who was making noise that the band would not include him in the ceremony. Well, the band did invite ALL drummers, and Abbruzzese didn't show, anyway.

Sometimes, there's no winning.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

the issues with Steve Perry are he apparently now has anxiety, which means live performing is probably out. I've also read - for the great voice he has/had - he also had the ego to match it. Add in I think he had some sort of surgery some time ago, for melanoma, and I read he has issues with his hip, and I'm not all that surprised that he was a no show.

But he DID show. In fact, he gave a lengthy acceptance speech!  This is why I, too, am puzzled that he wouldn't at least sing ONE song.  I can understand having anxiety, but he didn't appear anxious at all...and re: his hip issue, it seemed as if he stood there much longer than the other band members. Makes me curious if there are other reasons for him not joining in the performance.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, MsTree said:

But he DID show. In fact, he gave a lengthy acceptance speech!  This is why I, too, am puzzled that he wouldn't at least sing ONE song.  I can understand having anxiety, but he didn't appear anxious at all...and re: his hip issue, it seemed as if he stood there much longer than the other band members. Makes me curious if there are other reasons for him not joining in the performance.

I know Perry sang live in 2014, but how is his voice now.  I am a singer and I lost my voice over a very short period of time.  I can;t imagine that he wouldn't take the stage to sing 1 song if his voice could compete with Pineda's.

But if both Perry and Pineda sang it would have been weird and awkward, given that Pineda sounds so much like Perry at his prime.  If Perry's voice wasn't great that would be sad.  If he could out sing Pineda - that could hurt future ticket sales of Journey concerts.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Macbeth said:

But if both Perry and Pineda sang it would have been weird and awkward, given that Pineda sounds so much like Perry at his prime.  If Perry's voice wasn't great that would be sad.  If he could out sing Pineda - that could hurt future ticket sales of Journey concerts

I know what you mean. I was just hoping that instead of dedicating "lights" to Perry...let Pineda step aside for one nostalgic tune.

And if what I read is true (Perry quit because he no longer wanted to be in the spotlight), it would have been understood by fans and future ticket buyers that any performance would have only been to celebrate being inducted into the R'n'R hall of fame. But alas....

• Love 2

I love Snoop Dogg so very much.

Reading back in the thread it seems like last year's show had something for Prince?  And I knew it has been more than a year since he passed so I was curious about the inclusion of the Lenny segment this year.  I'm glad for it, because Lenny is so good and also I still cannot believe he has a 28 year old child.

I do wish they had done a song for George Michael too but I know you can't memorialize everyone.

Eddie Vedder is one of my first rock loves.  I had a picture of his wedding cut out from People magazine on my file cabinet in school in 1992.  Always welcome to see him perform.  

Joan Baez looks stunning.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was so impressed that as old as Yes is (Steve Howe looks like a walking skeleton) they played pretty darn good.  I liked seeing Geddy Lee play bass for Chris Squier.  

Pineda sounds decent enough, but imo, still not quite Steve Perry.  I would have loved to see Steve perform one more time.  It looked like Steve was sitting in a different spot than the rest of Journey, which I thought a bit odd. 

Finally, Pearl Jam.  I may have grown up listening to Journey and Yes, but Pearl Jam is the essence of my music tastes.  the 90s is when I really identified with a music genre.  My first thought upon seeing Letterman doing the intro was wtf?  But then he said something about filling in for Neil Young, sounded right.  I remember that whole ticketmaster beef.  too bad it didn't really work.

And, of course, I'm watching all this post Chris Cornell's death and now wondering if/when he and/or Soundgarden get inducted.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 2

That's quite a list.  Most of the bands have been eligible for years.  I was suprised that some hadn't been nominated before.

Bon Jovi - I wouldn't be surprised to see them inducted.  Jon does quite a lot of charity work, very popular.  One of the original "hair bands" but didn't go the full make-up route.

Cars - 70-80's alt-pop band, but lasted a good long time.  Its shame that some of their biggest hits were sung by Ben Orr, who died of cancer some years ago.

Eurythmics - I love Annie Lennox, great voice, though I definitely thought she was wierd when I was younger.  Course, what was really weird was their first big hit getting remade by Marilyn Manson.

Judas Priest - A pretty decent hard rock/metal band.  I presume they would only induct the most popular line up, would they include Ripper Owens (given the whole move Rock Star that was based on this)?  They are still writing and touring, so while I think their music isn't real original or different, their longetivity might help them get inducted.

Dire Straits, Moody Blues, J. Geils Band,  Radiohead, Zombies, LL Cool J I know a few songs by these bands, but not all that much to know how much they may have contributed or influenced others.  I remember Dire Straits for the "I want my MTV song" and J. Geils Band for Centerfold, Moody Blues for Knights in White Satin, Radiohead for Creep, Zombies for Shes Not There and Time of the Season.

I'm familiar with Rage Against the Machine, Kate Bush, Nina Simone, Rufus/Chaka Kahn,  but not really as to specific songs.  I know Tom Morello of RATM is pretty outspoken politically.  That could help or hurt RATM, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to hear some politics if it gets inducted.

I am not familiar at all with MC5, The Meters, Link Wray, Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

I can't say I enjoyed Stevie Nicks, her because I think she's way way way overrated, but both she and the Roxy Music sounded 'off' - like something was not right with the soundboard mix.  Loved seeing The Zombies, they sounded so great! 

It was a decent show, better than last year.      

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

Radiohead didn't play any music? 

The Zombies sound great still. 

I question some of the people they bring on to present. Why did Harry Styles introduce Stevie Nicks?

Neither did Janet, but I believe it was because of the documentary that came out.

• Love 1

IIt was long past due for Stevie Knicks be inducted.  And I agree with Janet Jackson that more women need to be inducted. 

I am thinking of Sinead O'Connor and her magnificent voice. Which will never happen while she is still alive. You don't get to stand on that stage unless you have been tamed.  

Re Janet   My feelings are conflicted due to her brother.  But it was helpful to remember that her emergence as an artist was due to her association with Prince's protégés.  That's why I liked her music better than her brothers. Prince is King.  She was smart enough to make sure her career developed away from her family. 

Also her career was sidelined by the Super Bowl "scandal". Oh my God did we see a black woman's nipple on TV.?  Please.  Meanwhile  Justin Tiberwhatever didn't suffer any set back, even though he did the exposing.  

But with her brother his shadow now looms over her legacy. Fair or not. It is not my place to judge.  It's all just incredibly sad. 

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Macbeth said:

IIt was long past due for Stevie Knicks be inducted.  TyrionAnd I agree with Janet Jackson that more women need to be inducted. 

I am thinking of Sinead O'Connor and her magnificent voice. Which will never happen while she is still alive. You don't get to stand on that stage unless you have been tamed.  

Re Janet   My feelings are conflicted due to her brother.  But it was helpful to remember that her emergence as an artist was due to her association with Prince's protégés.  That's why I liked her music better than her brothers. Prince is King.  She was smart enough to make sure her career developed away from her family. 

Also her career was sidelined by the Super Bowl "scandal". Oh my God did we see a black woman's nipple on TV.?  Please.  Meanwhile  Justin Tiberwhatever didn't suffer any set back, even though he did the exposing.  

But with her brother his shadow now looms over her legacy. Fair or not. It is not my place to judge.  It's all just incredibly sad. 

I saw Janet last year and she was really good in concert. It was so much fun. I personally think she is the smart one in the whole family. I know everyone puts Michael in a higher pedestal than Janet, but I was quietly always rooting for her. I especially like her HBO concert from 2002 as well. That was amazing, too. 

• Love 1

Tina Turner needs to be the next "female two timer" to join Stevie Nicks. Carole King, too. Tina is already in with Ike, and Carole is already in as a songwriter with her ex. They both should be in as solo artists. And who does Pat Benetar have to kill to even get a nomination?

I enjoyed Stevie Nicks and hellooooo, Phil Collen, with your 61 year old shirtless self. Someone is certainly taking care of themselves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

and hellooooo, Phil Collen, with your 61 year old shirtless self. Someone is certainly taking care of themselves.

Lol! I thought the same thing too, gotta be up there and looks damn good for his age.

I got choked up when they talked about Rick Allen's accident. I remember that happening and thinking how that poor man would never be able to perform again but I was more than happy to be oh so wrong about that.

Rock of Ages is still such an awesome frickin' song.

I loved hearing Brian May speak of his friendship with Joe Elliott and what they meant to each other with the respective losses of Freddie Mercury and Steve Clark. I especially loved hearing that oh so distinctive rock chord from Brian May and Joe Elliott peeking over his shoulder to say, paraphrasing, "that's gotta be Brian May".

I wish Janet performed. I've always been a big fan of hers but it is so sad that I look at her and see Michael's face and hear his voice.

Loooooved Stevie Nicks. For however old she is she still sounds pretty good. I loved the story about her shawl, $3000 back in the 80's. What was it made of? What would it cost now to make something like that. I'll tell you what, she must take very good care of her toys that it still looks brand new some 30 years later.

I didn't get what the connection was to the last performance of All the Young Dudes.

• Love 1