Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: All Stars Goes Global

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Gummo said:

I'm in the minority in that I always liked Anya in her previous appearances, but coming back on an all-winners season and STILL NOT HAVING BOTHERED TO LEARN ANY TECHNICAL SKILLS? That makes her a waste of space; she should go sooner rather than later.

Every comment (designers' and judges') seemed to be an homage to the years of our complaints about her. I think they invited her back to give her a comeuppance...and see that she would be GONE on the first episode.  And then...and then AnthonyRyan produced such dreck that their little plan backfired (for now).  I thought her snippy comment about not NEEDING to sew because she's involved in various businesses was broadcast to create more conflict.   

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Irina's Little Red Riding Hood meets Chicken Little look was A LOT but I knew that the judges would love the drama of it.

I liked this fun look...but loved thinking of JCPenney trying to manufacture/market* it.  JCPenney!!  I had no idea there was such a long delay from show creation to broadcast that the sponsorships and promises were invalid.

*For that reason I knew it couldn't be a winner.

• Love 1

I own more Wet N'Wild than Mary Kay.  The makeup itself is great, but the packaging is cheap.   

Plus it's the only drugstore line (at least in my area) that doesn't test on animals.  

• Love 3
On 1/2/2019 at 9:50 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Dmitry! He'll show everyone he's not just a ONE-WAY MONKEY!

I would pay good money to see a show with Dmitry and Fabio from Top Chef hanging out and cooking and sewing and mangling English-language idioms left and right.  Comedy gold (and the male hotness factor wouldn't hurt either!)

• Love 24
8 hours ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

Christina isn’t Aboriginal and to represent anything Aboriginal would have been offensive. 

shouldn’t the judging be from a varied perspective too? If the judges are all from one country, how can they appreciate the diversity of fashion, taste and flair that is considered poor/good/excellent around the world?

I think that the rule regarding representing ethnic art when you aren't a member of that ethnicity (or when you think you might be but don't know) is "don't be a jerk".  If the representation is done with respect and admiration, I don't see a problem.  

"Around the World" is missing an entire continent, though, isn't it?  But other than that, yes, let's make sure that this is an international competition.  I'm glad they didn't (and hoe they don't) make this a "USA vs The World" competition.

4 hours ago, Maya said:

I forgot how dramatically my opinion differs from the judges on this show.

Same!

8 hours ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

Re Christina’s look not seeming particularly ‘Australian’... us Aussies find it incredibly difficult to represent Australia and what is Australian ourselves! It’s a multicultural country with immigrants from all over the world and our original inhabitants are Aboriginal people. [ I presume] Christina isn’t Aboriginal and to represent anything Aboriginal would have been offensive. Maybe she represented a culture such as Italian, or Greek...  no idea what her background is it wasn’t mentioned on the show. The American contestants were shown to explore their ancestral cultures yet we only saw she was representing ‘Australian culture’. I’m badly trying to explain how she would not have been able to represent an ‘Australian culture’ as there are too many and not one specific culture.

Having said all that ^^^ I have no idea what she was trying to convey AT ALL ... ha ha ha!

It is interesting because the US and I assume Canada is similar.  Christina could have gone with her parents' country of origin or like the Canadian guy and did something that represented the country itself. (Koala bears? Giant spiders? I kid).  The Brazilian lady did something Brazilian but Hayashi is a Japanese last name a parent (or husband perhaps) is presumably Japanese. I liked that each designer almost interpreted the challenge based on what it meant to them - country of origin, family line I relate most to, location in the US I live presently... 

I DIDN'T like Anthony Ryan's attempt at interpreting "Native American" and further Alyssa's suggestion he use leather.  Really? 

I did like Irena's coat. I don't like her personality, but I do believe she has amazing skill. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, steff13 said:

I love the way he says Belarus.  <3 

He just doesn't adapt it to English. That's how you pronounce it in Belarusian (and Russian): roll the r, stress the u and s at the end is soft.

6 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I DIDN'T like Anthony Ryan's attempt at interpreting "Native American" and further Alyssa's suggestion he use leather.  Really? 

That (combined with "unfinished edges" or whatever) is the kind of stereotyping and disrespectful appropriation that's really offensive.  

• Love 8
On 1/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

TJMaxx Accessory Wall

Gurl there ain't nothing wrong with TJ Maxx - that is hallowed ground for the discriminating budget shopper!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 11
22 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I own more Wet N'Wild than Mary Kay.  The makeup itself is great, but the packaging is cheap.   

Plus it's the only drugstore line (at least in my area) that doesn't test on animals.  

Cover Girl is advertising that it's products are now cruelty-free.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:30 PM, Brookside said:

Anya: "I haven't sewn since Season 9."

Me: "Honey, you never sewed even then."

Regarding Michelle, I know I'm in a tiny minority, but I liked her during her season - I found her refreshingly direct and straightforward rather than rude, and I liked her designs.  However, those glasses are unforgivable.

Meeeeeeeee. All of this.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Rainkatt13 said:

However, those glasses are unforgivable.

Can you imagine looking at your world with a thick, black sphere around it? If she wore them to give publicity to a glasses designer, I expect the designer gave up a year ago wanting the publicity to happen.   Wonder what Michelle looks like now? 

Also the hair (please don't say it worked for Anya so it will work for Michelle.)

I was so hoping to see Anya go and then....

How the hell did Georgina not know what the Mounties are? 

Why if JC Penney isn't producing the dresses didn't they edit it out? That's very strange.

• Love 5

I am sooooo ready for this show to go back to Bravo - these sponsors are so Lifetime! They are truly terrible - Lyft? JCP? 23 and Me - WHAT???? Yes, that's it exactly - nothing screams high fashion like DNA testing! I guess I should be happy there weren't any Dixie Cups......

Like everyone else, I will be happy when no-sew Anya is gone. I wish they had chopped her and Anthony Ryan. That was one fugly dress, both before and after he changed it.......

As much as I love this show, I am wondering if it should have remained unaired. Aside from the embarrassing tackiness of it on Lifetime,  I can't stop thinking about "The beautiful Georgina Chapman's" asshole husband every time I see her on my screen and all of the women he forced to wear her garments......disgusting.......

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I can't stop thinking about "The beautiful Georgina Chapman's" asshole husband every time I see her on my screen and all of the women he forced to wear her garments......disgusting.......

Even worse is the fact that there are women he forced NOT to wear her garments...

• Love 8
On 1/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, Gothish520 said:

Gurl there ain't nothing wrong with TJ Maxx - that is hallowed ground for the discriminating budget shopper!

Your TJ Maxx shopping experience can vary widely based on location. My absolute favorite is downtown Seattle. I still regret leaving behind some Zac Posen bags & they had tons of Michael Kors stuff, too. So, it would kinda make sense for the series, even though they separate All Stars & Original Recipe PR. (Hm... it'll be interesting to see if OR has a tie-in to Estēe Lauder with Karlie Kloss, or to Payless with Christian Siriano's shoe line.)

Former 'Project Runway' Judge Michael Kors Is Just As Excited For The New Cast As You Are

https://www.bustle.com/p/former-project-runway-judge-michael-kors-is-just-as-excited-for-the-new-cast-as-you-are-12248144

Scroll down to the second article for info about All Stars.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 11:11 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Jasper's floral dress was very sweet and it fit his model well, but it was boring and nothing new. It looked like the kind of dress that sorority girls have worn to Sunday brunch for the last 30 years.

How was this not in the bottom? It was not fashion.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:51 AM, Gloriosa said:

Very good point about the items being up for sale.  I had forgotten about that.  Irina's couldn't win (not that I thought it should), based on that system.  Smart Dmitry.

Few made something that could be replicated. In some ways I'm glad when they don't pander, but it does seem to affect who wins. Did Irina not think about something like this, or did she just not care? And in the end it didn't even matter!  

On 1/3/2019 at 9:51 PM, jhlipton said:

I think the judges pulled the best outfit (Dimitry's) and the worst (Anthony's -- the red fabric looked tacked on; ugh) and put the others there to mess with us.  Red Rooster and the Canadian Mountie costume were the best??? And Anya's (I've not seen her season, so just judging this on it's own, it was very pretty) and the ruffle dress were the worst.  Honey, please!

Honestly, this may be the only explanation that makes sense. 

• Love 1

A few thoughts,

Sunny's Chinese/Hong Kong dress was my favourite.  It had the see-through gold overlay at the top/collar and it was a black dress/coat thing.

Anthony mentioning how Anya still hasn't learned how to sew haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Shady.

I hate Isaac and I hate all of his opinions and I hate him.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:49 AM, Brookside said:

Plus she no longer speaks in a breathy baby voice to go with her babyish dresses.   Seems like she's gotten out from under someone's thumb.

She still says "Please step Fo-ward".  Weird pet peeve of mine.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2019 at 12:30 AM, Brookside said:

Anya: "I haven't sewn since Season 9."

Me: "Honey, you never sewed even then."

Regarding Michelle, I know I'm in a tiny minority, but I liked her during her season - I found her refreshingly direct and straightforward rather than rude, and I liked her designs.  However, those glasses are unforgivable.

I don't mind Michelle either.  She's no more bitchy than anyone else who has been on this show.   And, quite frankly, Patricia would have driven me crazy as well.  That being said, you're spot on about the glasses.  Woof. 

• Love 1

Okay, Anya just needs to go right now.  She made simple drapey dresses throughout her last season and now she's doing it again.  

Dimitry's dress was awful.  Just one of the worst things I've seen on the show.  So, of course everyone loved it.  I don't get it.  

I must have missed the season where the chick with the partly-shaved head and the big glasses won.  I don't remember her.  But she seems to just be a miserable, unpleasant person.

WTF did Anthony Ryan make???  That was hideous.  And I found his tears on the runway to be fake.  I don't doubt his grief, but I think he just used it as an excuse for a garbage dress.

Judging - other than Dimitry, who they clearly loved, who else was on top???  Because the other outfits, at best, had very mixed reviews.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm sorry, Anthony Ryan, but telling me that you're partially Native American and then you follow that up with, "At least my grandmother says so," u

My first reaction was he was throwing shade at Elizabeth Warren, but it was taped too long ago for that

On 1/3/2019 at 3:54 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I wish we would have been shown if Anthony Ryan actually has any Native American blood.  I know that many southerners claim a little Native American heritage when in reality they have none or even African ancestors.   From what I have read, many individuals who were black but had enough white blood in them would claim Native American ancestry before 1865 and then during the Jim Crow era.  

It seems like everyone in my part of my state not only claims Native American heritage, but all seem to be descended from a "Cherokee princess." There must have been an awful lot of those...

• LOL 3