Type keyword(s) to search

Northern Rescue - General Discussion

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

"Northern Rescue" Coming Soon to Netflix

CBC and Netflix Family Drama "Northern Rescue" Confirms Additional Casting as Production Begins

The series follows John West (William Baldwin), who uproots his three children from the big city to return to his home town to take command of the local Search & Rescue service after the death of his wife. As the family comes to terms with their loss, the series explores the effects on their individual lives. The children's Aunt Charlotte (Kathleen Robertson), struggles to help John and his children heal as she copes with the loss of her sister and her desire to have a family of her own. Along the way, John faces many situations that challenge him professionally and personally. As the family members work on rebuilding their lives, they will come to meet many colourful characters living in their northern community.

Joining the series are Amalia Williamson (Level 16) as Maddie West, John's 16-year-old daughter; Spencer MacPherson (DeGrassi: Next Class) as Scout West, John's 14-year-old son;, and Taylor Thorne (Odd Squad) as Taylor West, John's 10-year-old daughter. Also joining the cast are Michelle Nolden (Saving Hope) as Sarah West, John's wife, Michael Xavier (Bitten) as Paul Simmons, a volunteer member of the SAR team; and Peter MacNeill (Call Me Fitz) as Harry, John's retired SAR commander.

Found this browsing Netflix and checked it out over the last few days. I liked it. Charlie is cool, and I like Maddie. 

The 'Sarah cheated on John' idea was a good one to throw us off, but, I knew as soon as Taylor was reading her mom's journal and it said, "I told him the news, etc." and she didn't specify who, that Rick was Maddie's real dad.

Another show where the kid's real dad is an abusive POS.

I hope this gets a second season so I can find out what happens with Charlie and Alex, and Taylor's hypochondriatic symptoms (that's how they were described in an article about the show). 

(edited)

Doesn’t this Baldwin look a litte old to be doing these feats of daring do?

As Mattie looks way too old to be a high school junior.

It really throws you when the actors are so woefully age inappropriate.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, langford peel said:

I agree. Just found out that the actress playing Maddie will be 20 in June. She looks older. The actor who plays Scout, is 21, will be 22 in June, playing a 15 year-old...Taylor is 12, and the actress is 14.

• Love 1

I've watched the first 2 episodes and on the 3rd. Really enjoying it. I figured when Maddie said her mom was being treated like a saint but she wasnt coupled with Charlie telling John that Sara told her  he was real good with helping others but being there Emotionally for her that Sara had an affair or something like that  

One of the worst shows I ever tried to watch. Cliches, cliches, cliches.

Teen angst not very well done. Bad acting all around.

The actress playing Maddie is the first instance of  a teenager actually playing a teenager that looks much older than she actually is. I thought it was one more of those mid-20s actors playing 15 and 16 year-olds. Nope, I looked up she is about 19, if the information is correct. She could be playing the aunt.

Her make up is hideous and whoever is in charge of the wardrobe needs to leave the 90's behind. I am old, I don't know what is "fashionable" but the way those people dress is absurd.

The place they live, that's supposed to be in Maine, or near that right? I don't think it is in Canada because they seem to want to have it set in the US. Either way, isn't it a bit too hot considering the kids are in school? Or all that happens in the season happens in just a week or two?

• Love 1

Her make up is hideous and whoever is in charge of the wardrobe needs to leave the 90's behind. I am old, I don't know what is "fashionable" but the way those people dress is absurd.

I kind of enjoy it but there's also the wardrobe problem for me. Both Maddie and Taylor wear shorts that are barely existent. Adding to that, Maddie looks like an extra from Pretty Woman.

Also, John keeps doping all his rescues without any backup ever. Which is craziness.

• Love 1

Hubby and I binge watched this show this weekend after stumbling upon it on Netflix. I read a couple articles re: if NR will be renewed and it seems as if there is a good chance. I hope so. We enjoyed it.

- I agree - the wardrobe was a bit behind the times. Maddie looks like Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan. Her friend who wears the "G" necklace - reminds me of Goldie Hawn's character (the rich version) in Overboard. 

-I thought Maddie did the teenage angst thing well. You want to knock the snot out of the little shit, but you actually do like her and have empathy for her underneath it all.

-Someone said William Baldwin looks so old. I agree he has aged quite a bit since he was in the movie Backdraft; however he is the second to the youngest Baldwin brother. 

-One thing that bugged me to no end - the character of Taylor is supposed to be about 12 or so. They have her acting as if she's about 7 or 8 years old. The Christmas decorations...just very "baby-like".

-And as much as I liked the actress who played Charlie - and as pretty as I think she is - that haircut looks greasy and like someone chopped it off with hedge clippers while blindfolded.

• Love 2

Just finished this. Hoping their is another season and felt Maddie was being an idiotic selfish little bitch at the end. Just packing up and leaving cause your mad at your not bio dad not caring about her bro and sis. There is a reason your bio dad isnt around. Hes not a good guy. 

On 3/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, langford peel said:

He looks like he has just stuck a fork in the toaster. Crazy hairstyle and his face looks unnatural, plastic surgery?

Not sure where this show can really go. When the penguin is the highlight you have problems. Not really getting all the females always being in short shorts either. It doesn't look very warm there.