Type keyword(s) to search

The Red Line - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Red Line is an upcoming American drama series. It was ordered to series on May 11, 2018 and stars Noah Wyle, Emayatzy Corinealdi, Aliyah Royale, Noel Fisher, Michael Patrick Thornton, Vinny Chhibber, Howard Charles and Elizabeth Laidlaw. The series will premiere in the spring of 2019 as a mid-season replacement.

The Red Line's plot involves a white cop in Chicago who mistakenly shoots and kills a black doctor. It follows three different families with connections to the case, and the story is told from each perspective.

CBS has released a first trailer for The Red Line, its Noah Wyle-led, eight-episode “event series” that will air four straight Sundays from 8 to 10 pm, starting April 28.

The Red Line follows three very different Chicago families as they journey toward hope and healing after a tragedy connects them all. As revealed early in the trailer, ER alum Wyle plays Daniel Calder, a high school history teacher who is mourning the death of his husband, an African American doctor who was shot by a white cop. As Daniel tries to comfort their grieving daughter, Jira (played by Aliyah Royale), the two butt heads when she decides to search for her birth mother against his wishes.

The above is from TVLine.

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time believing that the convenience store was using VHS for their security camera coverage in 2019. (Though there a lot of mom and pop shops that don't like to use or update their technology.)

This is just a 8 episode miniseries, right? There will be a beginning and an end?

I've seen the first few seasons of Shameless, and Noel Fisher was great as Mickey Milkovich. I think it was a great choice to make him the cop.

• Love 4

Oh good catch about the use of an actual tape. I was wondering was the woman was going to think the next morning when she got her sidearm out of her safe.

• Love 1

I wasn’t planning on watching this due to the subject matter. As a black man I figured it would be too dark and close to home. I was bored working overnight and decided to watch and I’m thankful that I did. It wasn’t as difficult to watch as I thought. The six month Jump definitely helped keep it from being as dark as it could’ve been.

The biggest thing I must give them credit god is the overall production. This was HBO level in terms of the directing, lighting, music, casting and writing. This was a remarkable production. I don’t know the majority of the cast, but what an amazing cast they assembled. Not a weak link in the bunch and I loved the diversity. In terms of ethnicity, body type, you had a trans character, gay characters, paraplegic character, etc and it all felt real. I’m used to tv throwing in a diverse character to say they have it, but you always feel like they’re the token. Here I felt like I was just watching people which is a testemant to the writing. Especially for CBS this is pretty groundbreaking.

In terms of the story we covered a lot of ground this week. I truly hate this is a limited series because I’d love to see these characters grow over a long period of time. I’m glad they didn’t have the biological mother turn out to be a crackhead or something and despite her reservations about meeting her daughter, it wasn’t because she didn’t love her. They avoided the obvious choice on many things. Another good example was with the cop. He was a “bad” cop but not how you think. He wasn’t a racist, he just let his inherent bias affect how he handled his job. You could tell he didn’t even notice when his new partner mentioned how uncomfortable he felt around black people. Then I liked that they had his partner steal the tape as opposed to having him do it. I was worried it would be too heavily biased towards one side but it was very nuanced. 

I’m definitely in for the duration.  

• Love 12
2 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

The biggest thing I must give them credit god is the overall production. This was HBO level in terms of the directing, lighting, music, casting and writing. This was a remarkable production. I don’t know the majority of the cast, but what an amazing cast they assembled. Not a weak link in the bunch and I loved the diversity. In terms of ethnicity, body type, you had a trans character, gay characters, paraplegic character, etc and it all felt real. I’m used to tv throwing in a diverse character to say they have it, but you always feel like they’re the token. Here I felt like I was just watching people which is a testemant to the writing. Especially for CBS this is pretty groundbreaking.

Very thoughtful post, KnotsLanding.  I agree on almost all, except the "limited" part.  I watch a lot of limited BBC productions and really like the genre.  Too often, as a series drags on, the writers run out of the steam or spark that made it great and it ends with nothing like the beginning quality.   

I love Chicago, so the photography and letting the city itself become a character is also enjoyable for me 

I see we'll only enjoy Corey Reynolds, (Dr. Brennan) in one more episode.  Presumably a flashback.  That's disappointing, as I'm a huge fan.

I'm in!  Truly hoping it'll be two hours every Sunday, too.  It really helps flesh out the characters better when it's not a chopped up commercial stuffed hour.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Unraveled said:

I've seen the first few seasons of Shameless, and Noel Fisher was great as Mickey Milkovich. I think it was a great choice to make him the cop.

It's been a little weird for my mom, who only knows him as the kid in the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie A Dog Named Christmas. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes, this one sucked me right in. Also in passing, there's a trans kid (Jira's friend) and no one really remarks on them. I thought the girl in class trying to share Jira's grief was kind of a jerk, offering unasked-for advice, etc.)

I read a couple of interviews with Noah Wyle, and he was all: I didn't think we'd have something like this on CBS. And I thought...well, it's not THAT far ahead of broadcast TV, and as someone who likes my Sunday night Stories, it fits right in. (I can see it drawing the same kind of audience as Madam Secretary, The Good Wife and The Mentalist.)

IF it's written as an 8-episode series, then I'll enjoy it as such, and hope for another limited series as good from the producers.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rhys said:

I missed something. Was it true that Daniel actually reached out & contacted Jira's birth mom & got the reply that she doesn't want to meet Jira?

There was a scene where she received a call from the adoption agency.  We then got the scene with Daniel and Jira.  I think she initially said no then changed her mind after the gala.

• Love 2

I've been waiting for this show to premiere since last year, so yay it's finally here! Unfortunately, while I did watch it, 1) I was still emotionally recovering from GoT so I wasn't fully paying attention until maybe the second hour, and 2) I totally forgot to set the recording for it, so I missed the first 10 minutes, which while I've seen enough in the trailer and previews, it threw me off to start the story 6 months later. I did totally cry during Calder's speech at the gala though. Will have to attempt a rewatch (and at least seeing the first 10 minutes), but I'll be following this one to the end (although I have to admit Wyle being in this is a big part of why I'm invested in the show). It's refreshing to have diversity on a TV show that doesn't feel forced, just to check that off the box.

One of my favorite cringe-worthy moments was that white classmate who came up to Jira to offer her condolences. Nooooo girl, stop. But it was SO real. As a minority who has certain unpopular thoughts about "allies" and white folks with privilege who tell you they know how you feel and that they're there for you, it had me nodding with Jira's reaction. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ch1 said:

There was a scene where she received a call from the adoption agency.  We then got the scene with Daniel and Jira.  I think she initially said no then changed her mind after the gala.

Yes, and we also had a scene where Daniel was seen calling the adoption agency immediately after he spoke with Jira who explained to him why it wasn't 'enough' for her to have him as her father at this point in her life; she wanted someone who was African American and would understand what she was facing.  We saw Tia speaking with her husband about why it wasn't a good idea for her to seek out her daughter both personally and professionally.  Daniel received a call from the agency that she had declined the meeting and, finally, Tia changed her mind after attending the LGBTQ fundraiser and seeing Daniel and Jira.

It does, however, beg the question as to why Daniel and his husband, Harrison, didn't have regular contact with other African Americans, both friends and family, who would've already known and loved Jira and stepped up to share the experience with her.  I suppose the doctor's family might've been estranged from him because of his sexuality and marriage;; but, still, I would think that as seemingly very sensitive and involved parents, they would've made sure that she had a wide circle of AA loved ones to relate to.

I thought the writing on the show was excellent, as was the acting.  I felt kinda bad for the classmate who kept putting her foot in her mouth with Jira, it seemed she meant well, but just didn't know how to express her sympathy without sounding patronizing and/or clueless.  Her heart was in the right place, IMO.

Sad to see that this was the lowest rated network debut for a drama tis season.  It was quite well done and held my attention throughout.  I liked the nuanced storytelling, so many dramas are just so heavy-handed, their message is lost.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Sad to see that this was the lowest rated network debut for a drama tis season.  It was quite well done and held my attention throughout.  I liked the nuanced storytelling, so many dramas are just so heavy-handed, their message is lost.

That is unfortunate.  First off, why try to get people to try something new on Sunday Night?!?!  Between sports, GOT and the PBS good stuff, it's a crowded primetime, especially for those without DVRs (shudder).

Also, the commercials were kind of iffy for me.  They came across a little too "ripped from the headlines" possibly preachy & heavy handed.  It was none of that.  Show almost didn't make my DVR cut; I gave it hour #1 to impress me and it certainly did.

The PTB really should give it a repeat slot on Saturday night or midweek when the pickings are slimmer.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

One of my favorite cringe-worthy moments was that white classmate who came up to Jira to offer her condolences. Nooooo girl, stop. But it was SO real. As a minority who has certain unpopular thoughts about "allies" and white folks with privilege who tell you they know how you feel and that they're there for you, it had me nodding with Jira's reaction. 

I wouldn't have cared what color she was.  It's one thing to say I'm sorry for your loss.  It's another to keep pushing yourself on someone you don't even know.

I spent most of the first hour thinking the cop didn't announce himself.  He just walked in and almost immediately fired his gun.  Are they going to address that?  Then the lady cop revealed she took the tape.

I did appreciate that not all the cops were okay with the outcome.  I also liked Noah Wyle trying to explain and not really knowing how to do so that a civil lawsuit won't get them justice, but they had very few other options.  I hope at some point that gets mentioned.

I did not like the implication that a 15 year old girl deciding to give her baby up for adoption meant she didn't care about her child.  I would argue the opposite.  She realized she wasn't in a position to raise a child, and give them everything they needed so she gave her baby a chance at a better life.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I did not like the implication that a 15 year old girl deciding to give her baby up for adoption meant she didn't care about her child.  I would argue the opposite.  She realized she wasn't in a position to raise a child, and give them everything they needed so she gave her baby a chance at a better life.

Yep,yep, yep why dad Daniel said birth mom didn't want Jira just made me gasp. That was a horrible thing to say.

38 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

That is unfortunate.  First off, why try to get people to try something new on Sunday Night?!?!  Between sports, GOT and the PBS good stuff, it's a crowded primetime, especially for those without DVRs (shudder).

Can you explain the shudder? TIA.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

I wouldn't have cared what color she was. 

Well, I was speaking from my experience, in which it's been with white people. So, I think I'm entitled to share my own experience and how I related to that moment.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, rhys said:

Can you explain the shudder? TIA.

Heehee.  That's just my involuntary "shudder" when I think of life without a DVR!   😲  I don't even know how to watch stuff when it airs or how to sit through commercials anymore!I

My point was some people are really married to their Sunday night viewing, and I think this show would have a much better chance in a different time slot.

Ooh, I was shocked too, at the unfortunate wording to Jira!  Seemed harsh!!!!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well, I was speaking from my experience, in which it's been with white people. So, I think I'm entitled to share my own experience and how I related to that moment.

She reminded me more of this girl I used to work with that just would not accept I had no interest in joining her church.  Don't get me wrong.  I have no problem with religious people so long as they leave me out of it.

I was wondering why the lady cop lied and told her partner she destroyed the tape.  If she really only took the tape to protect him, and all other cops (insert eyeroll), destroying it would have been the smart thing to do.  Unless she has an ulterior motive, and plans on using it for leverage for herself in some way.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I was wondering why the lady cop lied and told her partner she destroyed the tape.  If she really only took the tape to protect him, and all other copes (insert eyeroll), destroying it would have been the smart thing to do.  Unless she has an ulterior motive, and plans on using it for leverage for herself in some way.

I wondered the same thing. The only thing I could think of was that she was worried that she would somehow be implicated in the shooting, the young cop had strong family connections on the force protecting him.  The tape incriminated her partner but exonerated her, so she kept it as insurance for herself.

The other thing that bothered me although I suppose it was done for drama, was that neither cop did a thing to assist Harrison after he was shot.  Granted, it seemed like he died very quickly, but, in real life, they’re trained in CPR and should’ve immediately started it once he hit the floor, especially since the clerk told them he wasn’t the guy.  Even if he had been the guy, they’re supposed to try to resuscitate.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, rhys said:

Yep,yep, yep why dad Daniel said birth mom didn't want Jira just made me gasp. That was a horrible thing to say. 

I think Dad Daniel's reaction had more to do with a combination of grief and with the normal issues adoptive parents face when their kids start wanting to meet the birth parents.  His own insecurities were showing there. 

But he did apologize in the best way possible.  He contacted the Adoption Agency.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, kirkola said:

I think Dad Daniel's reaction had more to do with a combination of grief and with the normal issues adoptive parents face when their kids start wanting to meet the birth parents.  His own insecurities were showing there.  

But he did apologize in the best way possible.  He contacted the Adoption Agency.

I think that's how it felt to me as well.  What he said sounded awful but he was trying (ineptly) to protect her (and himself).

But I'm confused about the Dads' relationship with the birth mother.  Doctor Dad had met her briefly - did he not share her identity with Teacher Dad? (Sorry - I'll learn their names by the end.)  Doctor Dad was actually reading about her in the news on his last commute and texting Daniel (got it!) about her.  Or, when Daniel & Tia met at the gala, were we supposed to be aware that he actually did know who she was?  And they both had to pretend to be strangers?

And I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Fellow Teacher who keeps making puppy dog eyes at Daniel.  Future love interest?  He's about the only person who doesn't have connections to any other characters.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• Love 1

I didn’t get the feeling he was making puppy eyes at Daniel (although I wouldn’t blame him if he was). I think they’re just good friends/colleagues and I think he’s supposed to act as a sounding board for Jira’s feelings, which adds an interesting dynamic.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think that's how it felt to me as well.  What he said sounded awful but he was trying (ineptly) to protect her (and himself).

But I'm confused about the Dads' relationship with the birth mother.  Doctor Dad had met her briefly - did he not share her identity with Teacher Dad? (Sorry - I'll learn their names by the end.)  Doctor Dad was actually reading about her in the news on his last commute and texting Daniel (got it!) about her.  Or, when Daniel & Tia met at the gala, were we supposed to be aware that he actually did know who she was?  And they both had to pretend to be strangers?

And I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Fellow Teacher who keeps making puppy dog eyes at Daniel.  Future love interest?  He's about the only person who doesn't have connections to any other characters.  Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

That confused me too in the beginning.  But I don't think Dad Daniel knew her name.  The text from Dad Doctor (I missed his name) said "you'll never guess who is in the paper" or something similar.  It would stand to reason if Dad Daniel knew her name, Dad Doctor would have said "Guess what Tia's up to" or something similar.  Dad Daniel later claims that he doesn't know and says Dad Doctor adopted Jira first.  And Dad Daniel adopted later.   And I have no reason to think he would have lied to her about that story.  It was clearly a family story told to Jira many times.  Of course, it leaves out the more adult parts, like Tia was a teenager at the time.

At the gala, Daniel makes small talk and starts to walk away.  It's Tia that initiates a longer conversation about family.  It's clear she knows who Daniel is.  It's not necessarily clear that Daniel recognized Tia.  Though it's plausible that he might have seen a passing resemblance to Jira. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kirkola said:

That confused me too in the beginning.  But I don't think Dad Daniel knew her name.  The text from Dad Doctor (I missed his name) said "you'll never guess who is in the paper" or something similar.  It would stand to reason if Dad Daniel knew her name, Dad Doctor would have said "Guess what Tia's up to" or something similar.  Dad Daniel later claims that he doesn't know and says Dad Doctor adopted Jira first.  And Dad Daniel adopted later.   And I have no reason to think he would have lied to her about that story.  It was clearly a family story told to Jira many times.  Of course, it leaves out the more adult parts, like Tia was a teenager at the time.

At the gala, Daniel makes small talk and starts to walk away.  It's Tia that initiates a longer conversation about family.  It's clear she knows who Daniel is.  It's not necessarily clear that Daniel recognized Tia.  Though it's plausible that he might have seen a passing resemblance to Jira. 

Yes, Daniel said that Harrison was Jira's adoptive parent because she was born in the era before gay marriage was legal and two men couldn't adopt a child together.  Daniel formalized his relationship to her later after it became legally possible.  Chances are, Harrison didn't discuss his sexuality or his partnership with another man with the agency that arranged the adoption in fear that it might cause the agency or the biologic parent to decide against giving him a child and Daniel stayed in the background until Baby Jira was officially theirs.

I got the impression that Daniel probably was given the basic description of Jira's birth mother, her age, maybe her first name, info about the brief convo that his partner had with her; but Harrison either didn't know Tia's last name (do we know she is even using her birth name or is she using her husband's name now?), didn't tell Daniel or Daniel very understandably forgot what it was. 

At the gala, I got the impression that, while Tia knew exactly who he was, Daniel was really a bit puzzled by her interest in him and his family.  He may also have been a little confused because she reminded him of his daughter somehow, but I don't think he really knew who she was or why she was so caught up in his story.

7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I didn’t get the feeling he was making puppy eyes at Daniel (although I wouldn’t blame him if he was). I think they’re just good friends/colleagues and I think he’s supposed to act as a sounding board for Jira’s feelings, which adds an interesting dynamic.

I got the impression that Daniel's fellow teacher is, in fact, interested in him and, once a reasonable time has passed, may well make that known to Daniel.  It will also cause more conflict for Jira and Daniel which is undoubtedly going to happen now that her birth mother is coming into her life.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

I feel like there's already enough real-life drama as there is though... why can't the teacher just be there as a supporting character and not another spoke in the drama wheel? I feel like the writers are better than that to stoop to say, Grey's Anatomy status with the extra unnecessary drama. I guess we'll see, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I feel like there's already enough real-life drama as there is though... why can't the teacher just be there as a supporting character and not another spoke in the drama wheel? I feel like the writers are better than that to stoop to say, Grey's Anatomy status with the extra unnecessary drama. I guess we'll see, but I'm just not getting that vibe.

I kind of hope you're right, and they don't pile on more drama, but it just seemed like there were a few instances where they focused on the teacher friend after Daniel left, and he looked, very, uhh, not sure how to describe it.  Back to the puppy dog eyes, I guess.

Actually, I'm fine either way.  Bring it on.  They're cute together.  Snarking on the high school kids.

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, Daniel said that Harrison was Jira's adoptive parent because she was born in the era before gay marriage was legal and two men couldn't adopt a child together.  Daniel formalized his relationship to her later after it became legally possible.  Chances are, Harrison didn't discuss his sexuality or his partnership with another man with the agency that arranged the adoption in fear that it might cause the agency or the biologic parent to decide against giving him a child and Daniel stayed in the background until Baby Jira was officially theirs.

I got the impression that Daniel probably was given the basic description of Jira's birth mother, her age, maybe her first name, info about the brief convo that his partner had with her; but Harrison either didn't know Tia's last name (do we know she is even using her birth name or is she using her husband's name now?), didn't tell Daniel or Daniel very understandably forgot what it was. 

At the gala, I got the impression that, while Tia knew exactly who he was, Daniel was really a bit puzzled by her interest in him and his family.  He may also have been a little confused because she reminded him of his daughter somehow, but I don't think he really knew who she was or why she was so caught up in his story.

Yeah, I got the part about how Harrison was the one to adopt originally (although I wonder how that home study went. "You're a single ER doctor who works lots of hours?  What are your childcare plans? Oh your roommate is going to help out?  Okay, cool")  But it just seemed odd that he sent that text that, to me, seemed like it was referring to someone they both would recognize.  Obviously Harrison knew who she was (unless there's some other different connection that we haven't found out about yet) and it doesn't seem like that's something he wouldn't share with his husband & coparent.  But I'll wait and see.  Maybe there's something else going on, or maybe I'll obsess on some other detail next time.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Between sports, GOT and the PBS good stuff, it's a crowded primetime, especially for those without DVRs (shudder).

I've never had a DVR and still don't, probably never will.  Should I be shuddering?  I'm not.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

I've never had a DVR and still don't, probably never will.  Should I be shuddering?  I'm not.

My deepest apologies...  I simply expressed my personal appreciation for a tech marvel.  I'll scooch on back to the fun forums.  

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:58 AM, doodlebug said:

I wondered the same thing. The only thing I could think of was that she was worried that she would somehow be implicated in the shooting, the young cop had strong family connections on the force protecting him.  The tape incriminated her partner but exonerated her, so she kept it as insurance for herself.

The other thing that bothered me although I suppose it was done for drama, was that neither cop did a thing to assist Harrison after he was shot.  Granted, it seemed like he died very quickly, but, in real life, they’re trained in CPR and should’ve immediately started it once he hit the floor, especially since the clerk told them he wasn’t the guy.  Even if he had been the guy, they’re supposed to try to resuscitate.

The problem now is, besides the fact that the other cop got the tape out of her safe, she is guilty of tampering with evidence and obstruction of justice.

Yes, they are, and I hope when the tape comes out all of this is addressed.  There are a lot of very good cops, but the things both of these cops did, are one of the reasons people don't trust the cops.

I also have to disagree with the lady cop about them being good cops.  A good cop would have announced themselves and not just started shooting.  That is one of the first things they are taught.  A good cop wouldn't have stolen evidence or covered up the truth either.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

My deepest apologies...  I simply expressed my personal appreciation for a tech marvel.  I'll scooch on back to the fun forums.  

Apology accepted.  Come over to "Mama June: From Not to Hot".  We're buckets of fun!

On 4/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, CJBinATX said:

It's been a little weird for my mom, who only knows him as the kid in the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie A Dog Named Christmas. 

I was trying to remember where I knew him from!

• Love 1

I read “An American Marriage” over the weekend and when Roy told Celestial it wouldn’t have happened to her it was as much of a gut punch as when Jira sobbed to Daniel that Daniel wouldn’t have gotten shot.

I hope that Daniel and Jira get some right justice before this series is over.

• Love 2
On 4/29/2019 at 1:51 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

At the risk of being one of those clueless allies (and I am working hard to learn and not to be, which is why I know I can be), I yelled at the girl, "Do NOT notallwhitepeople Jira!" I thought the actor playing Jira did a wonderful job of wordlessly communicating the different thoughts she was having while the girl was talking. I have a terrible memory, but when the classmate said there were other people who understood or got it, I wanted to throw something. But I guess that's the point. Even Jira's own father can't really get it. Kudos Aliyah Royale. She breaks my heart every time she's on screen. 

I wasn't going to watch. I  didn't want to pick up a new show and being on CBS wasn't a point in its favor, but then I saw Ava DuVernay was directing and I was not going to miss it. 

• Love 3

I liked the second episode better than the first episode but the end got cut off.  What happened at the end tonight?

And it does look like the friend could be a love interest as we got confirmation that he's gay thanks to a fight with his boyfriend.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked the second episode better than the first episode but the end got cut off.  What happened at the end tonight?

I believe the show ended with the police guy who has been riding with Paul (sorry, I cannot remember his name) deciding to send the video of the shooting to Daniel. They showed him putting the tape in an envelope and putting Daniel's address on it. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I believe the show ended with the police guy who has been riding with Paul (sorry, I cannot remember his name) deciding to send the video of the shooting to Daniel. They showed him putting the tape in an envelope and putting Daniel's address on it. 

Thanks.  Because of something sporty pushing the episode late, I missed the last 20 minutes. Do we know what changed his mind?

• Love 2
Just now, Irlandesa said:

Thanks.  Because of something sporty pushing the episode late, I missed the last 20 minutes. Do we know what changed his mind?

They were at a bar and Paul was pretty drunk. Paul kept saying how Daniel was ruining his life, that he should sue Daniel and punish him. He said more stuff along those lines. As the police guy was putting the tape in the envelope to send to Daniel he was talking to his wife/girlfriend saying how it was not right that Paul wanted to punish Daniel for grieving. The wife/girlfriend (I forgot if the character said he was married) said he was doing the right thing.

There are probably more details that I am forgetting since I was flipping back and forth between shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm glad the cop finally sent the tape to Daniel.

Once the tape goes viral, I really want someone anyone to point out, it didn't matter if Harrison was black or a doctor or a robber.  Paul (the cop) didn't announce himself.  Even if he hadn't shot an innocent man in the back and killed him, Paul should still be in trouble for not following proper police procedure.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

And it does look like the friend could be a love interest as we got confirmation that he's gay thanks to a fight with his boyfriend.

Not all gay people on a TV show have to be romantically interested in each other just because they're both gay. I know this is what TV shows seem to do all the time, but I have faith these writers are a little above that and won't go there, just because. 

I guess I'm still in the party of 1 camp that doesn't think it necessary for the two of them to become romantically involved, it just feels too gimmicky. Maybe if there ever was a second season, but it deviates from the other (what I feel are) more important storylines. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Not all gay people on a TV show have to be romantically interested in each other just because they're both gay. I know this is what TV shows seem to do all the time, but I have faith these writers are a little above that and won't go there, just because. 

Of course not.  But people were speculating that they were getting interested vibes from the friend last week and that's before we knew anything about the friend beyond that he was a friend and Jira's teacher (I don't think).  This reveal means it might have been intentional.

I don't think they're going to end with them getting together.  I think they were potentially laying the groundwork should this series be a roaring success and "limited series" turned into "regular series."  Of course, with the ratings it's getting, that's not happening.

I missed something. Daniel lost his cool at the hearing/deposition(?) so the case for $3M is over? That can't be right.

also Jira blabbing to her 2 friends about who her birth mom is is going to go sideways soon & end up very bad for Tia.

• Love 2
(edited)

I do have to giggle when some of the aerial  footage is of the Brown or Purple Line  trains  near-north  & downtown  going over bridges.

The Red Line becomes a subway under downtown,

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 5

Tia is really being naive.  What is wrong with her?  She's running for office and ignoring her people when they warm her about secrets coming out.  Is she so blind that she can't envision how voters might feel when they discover her relationship with daughter of the deceased doctor?  It might not matter to some, but, I would think that many would think it is relevant.  And, who is going to get the most flack on social media?  Yes, Jira.   Any person helping her plan a campaign would know this and it should have been addressed in advance.  Granted, things moved quickly with the two of them, but, she's in denial in pretending that it won't matter.  

I missed the part just before the officer saved the lady from the train.  Was that a plant? Did it really happen or was it setup by his friends or the police? 

• Love 3