Type keyword(s) to search

Switched At Birth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/29/2022 at 11:26 AM, greekmom said:

They are airing the episodes on Sparks in Canada. One storyline which they never did was a what if Regina and Angelo had both girls and it was John and Kathryn that lost out of raising either Daphne or Bay.

Would have made an interesting episode.

That would've been an interesting episode. 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:07 PM, greekmom said:

I'm not a writer but I am sure that the writers could have come up with some ideas.

Off the top of my head:

1. Angelo is a successful mayor while Regina owns an upscale salon. She isn't drinking. Meaning John is a washout baseball player and doesn't have the carwash. Katheryn is a mediocre writer writer of romance books. Since Angelo is mayor he had some judges in his back pocket who awarded them custody of both girls. 

2, Regina finds out about the switch when the girls are 3. She and Angelo take both girls (so kidnapping Bay) and run off and relocate elsewhere with different names. The girls are bought up like sisters with Angelo Jr born a few years later. Bay finds out about the switch and the kidnapping.

I see this scenario, but I think the way the show did the "alternate realities", the personality traits of the characters stayed consistent. In the reality where Angelo and Regina stayed together, and had Angelo Jr, we only saw that after Angelo died- but Regina was still drinking in her grief, never having developed other coping strategies. I cannot see Angelo being a "family man", he was so self absorbed and emotionally immature. Being a single parent for a few weeks was just TOO MUCH for him that he allowed his daughter to be adopted by the gentlemen the bio mother chose (after months of searching for her and paying for private investigators etc). I cannot see Angelo sticking around to raise Bay and Angelo Jr until he died. Knowing they were both his bio kids he may have stayed in touch, and at best been a "weekend Dad" but I don't buy he and Regina having a strong marriage. I could see he and Regina being on again/off again, with Regina being a bit resentful that she had to do the heavy lifting in the family. (and hence drinking to cope)

On 6/30/2022 at 11:55 AM, Katy M said:

It would have, but how would that have worked?  We know how J&K got both kids, because Regina was an alcoholic.  And switching kids would have made sense.  But, I can't see a scenario where a judge would take both kids from the wealthy, practically perfect Kennishes and give them both to Angelo and Regina.  Unless they both died.

I think the story worked so well because while the Kennishes looked "perfect" by most of our social standards, Regina actually had the emotional maturity and fortitude to raise Daphne well.

She would NOT have been able to navigate the world as a Deaf person the way she did, had she been raised by the Kennishes. I liked that even though that was true, Daphine had her issues (because she is a person and we all have issues).

Unrelated (quoting myself I know that's vain).

On 10/2/2020 at 9:03 PM, Scarlett45 said:

faint fainting GIFGarrett as portrayed by Nyle DiMarco struts by with his sexy ass and smiles and Regina says to Bay “I think you just got ready.” (To move on from Emmett)

Im dying it’s so funny! Look at that gorgeous man.image.jpeg.26510513876d4bee8d9ffc10a02f630d.jpeg

745FC8F2-2B95-4558-B07A-F89CDE6E1BC9.jpeg

Nyle DiMarco just had a guest spot on the new Queer as Folk on Peacock. 

He is still fine as hell.

• Love 2
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

That would've been an interesting episode. 

I think the story worked so well because while the Kennishes looked "perfect" by most of our social standards, Regina actually had the emotional maturity and fortitude to raise Daphne well.

I dunno about that. I mean in the one alternate wasn't John basically a househusband and soccer dad who had mild depression and Kathryn was a workaholic cosmetic businesswoman.

In another alternate, Kathryn was cheating on John with Chip Coto.   

Both alternatives were not something that J or K would actually have been in the real timeline.  So the possibility could have been there that Angelo and Regina worked out as the "perfect" family compared to the Kennishes would have been interesting.

Forgot to add that I also saw Nyle DiMarco on QAF and damn that boy is fine lookin.

Edited by greekmom
forgot to add.
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I dunno about that. I mean in the one alternate wasn't John basically a househusband and soccer dad who had mild depression and Kathryn was a workaholic cosmetic businesswoman.

In another alternate, Kathryn was cheating on John with Chip Coto.   

Both alternatives were not something that J or K would actually have been in the real timeline.  So the possibility could have been there that Angelo and Regina worked out as the "perfect" family compared to the Kennishes would have been interesting.

I didnt quite see it that way. 

In the reality where John was a house husband, he got the chance to focus all of his sports energy onto Daphne who was an athletic prodigy, which he couldn't do in the real timeline with Toby because Toby wouldn't allow it. Daphne was still more of a "people pleaser". In the real timeline, Bay had no athletic skill at all. 

In the timeline where they raised both girls, the stress of raising a deaf child, and the conflict around how to parent her (although with disagreements about how to deal with Regina) caused riffs between John and Katherine (that doesn't surprise me, John can be a bulldozer, and that often happens in situations like that), add in Daphne being the third child, knowing that Bay was Puerto Rican and the comments of the racist grandmother for YEARS, can see Katherine being unhappy and cheating on John. Not unhappy with the girls, its clear she loved all the kids in any time line (and they did have Bay in therapy, trying to make sure she knew she was loved and wanted by them). Katherine not LEAVING John was 100% in personality, her cheating because her emotional needs weren't being met but she felt stuck (3 kids and a nice life) looks very realistic to me.

12 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Forgot to add that I also saw Nyle DiMarco on QAF and damn that boy is fine lookin.

SO FINE. Just too fine for words. 

A photo in honor of his fineness. image.png.fd9e27ea571e1be4847016a033cdab7f.png

5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I didnt quite see it that way. 

In the reality where John was a house husband, he got the chance to focus all of his sports energy onto Daphne who was an athletic prodigy, which he couldn't do in the real timeline with Toby because Toby wouldn't allow it. Daphne was still more of a "people pleaser". In the real timeline, Bay had no athletic skill at all. 

In the timeline where they raised both girls, the stress of raising a deaf child, and the conflict around how to parent her (although with disagreements about how to deal with Regina) caused riffs between John and Katherine (that doesn't surprise me, John can be a bulldozer, and that often happens in situations like that), add in Daphne being the third child, knowing that Bay was Puerto Rican and the comments of the racist grandmother for YEARS, can see Katherine being unhappy and cheating on John. Not unhappy with the girls, its clear she loved all the kids in any time line (and they did have Bay in therapy, trying to make sure she knew she was loved and wanted by them). Katherine not LEAVING John was 100% in personality, her cheating because her emotional needs weren't being met but she felt stuck (3 kids and a nice life) looks very realistic to me.

SO FINE. Just too fine for words. 

A photo in honor of his fineness. image.png.fd9e27ea571e1be4847016a033cdab7f.png

I'm sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you re: the Christmas alternative timeline does state that John was depressed: https://switchedatbirth.fandom.com/wiki/Yuletide_Fortune_Tellers

In the other alternative with K having an affair with Chip, I didn't say that she was leaving John but she was having an affair.  My point being that these are poor decisions that both J & K made.  So if they can have alternative timelines in them being crappy people, we could have gotten an alternative timeline with A & R being great parents and pillars to the community with both girls.  Or just have taken off with them.

*swoon* Thank you so much for the visual.  I also was a big fan of Travis.  Ryan Lane is also very fine.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

In the other alternative with K having an affair with Chip, I didn't say that she was leaving John but she was having an affair. 

Oh yeah I know- I didnt mean to insinuate that Katherine would leave in either timeline, but that an affair if her emotional needs weren't being met (given how in the real timeline John was such a bulldozer, I could see him being WORSE if they are parenting Daphne from 3yrs old) didnt seem out of character for me.

I'm sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you re: the Christmas alternative timeline does state that John was depressed: https://switchedatbirth.fandom.com/wiki/Yuletide_Fortune_Tellers

Thanks- I forgot about the depression.

*swoon* Thank you so much for the visual.  I also was a big fan of Travis.  Ryan Lane is also very fine.

You are most welcome. SO FINE!Me Me Me Fainting GIF by Archie Comics

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Nyle DiMarco just had a guest spot on the new Queer as Folk on Peacock. 

He is still fine as hell.

Me yelling at the TV when I saw him: Hot guy from Switched at Birth! Wish someone would pay him to take me on a date.....

hot alyssa milano GIF

• Love 1