Type keyword(s) to search

Switched At Birth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 6:30 PM, Keywestclubkid said:

Just started watching this again .. I don’t remember it being so one sided in the totally disregarding Bay has a character she just is kinda pushed back in her own story ...  

I pretty much started bailing on the show for that reason because Vanessa Marano is a much better actress and the show bending over backwards to absolve Daphne of any consequences for her shitty behavior got too much to watch. I bailed on the show right around the time RJ Mitte and also fell in love with Daphne. Because Everybody Loves Daphne. I did think it was sad for Bailey that her bio mother really just had no interest in her.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I did think it was sad for Bailey that her bio mother really just had no interest in her.

Thank you.. I was like the focus just seems so one sided with the one family and Daphney .. why is Bay and her mother like plot C of this show? you never seen them really bonding like you do with the other family and they dont even address it like its the elephant in the room. every time you think they are nope its brushed aside and more Daphney or ANOTHER bf for Bay ( both of the girls seem to go through bfs like tissue paper) ,, like they just didn't feel the need to explore Bay and her mother at all cause they were doing it with Daphney and her bio family

You could have just tweaked the plot that Daph was taken from the hospital at birth  and ended up with another family somehow and the Kennish's got her back with Bay still being one of their biological children and  having no connection to that family and you really wouldn't have had to change ANYTHING about this shows focus really. Bay being one of the switched children really doesn't seem to be cared about or really explored like it should have been and just used more as a plot point for a Regina problem popping up and still not really involving Bay or to get to more of the Kennish family and Daphney acclimating storyline...

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1

Toby always seemed to prefer Bay to Daphne, which was even true in the various AU/dream episodes. Which is why Toby was always one of my favorite characters on the show even though they gave him some real clunker storylines.

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I will think the only time they really did that was Bailey's grandmother being a racist little bitch towards her but I don't think we ever see her again after that one episode.

She came back in one of the later seasons to reveal to Kathryn that she had dementia and was moving to Europe with her friend, it was either outright revealed or strongly hinted that she and the friend were in a lesbian relationship.

They more or less ignored her being a racist and having treated Bay like crap before.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

If you do do a re watch and need someone to talk about it ... I would dig it

Okay I am on Season 12 of 17 of Degrassi and I started a month ago. I’ll be back in about two weeks to let you know when I’m going to start Switched at Birth. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Do you have a schedule planned for the rewatch?

Not exactly. I’m still WFH so I will likely watch an episode every weekday, maybe 3-4 episodes on Saturday and Sunday. I plan to be done by Labor Day. 

im open to suggestions if ppl have ideas for discussion. (Like no season 2 discussions until x date) I’m not going to look up any plots or anything I want to experience it all again. 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:46 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Not exactly. I’m still WFH so I will likely watch an episode every weekday, maybe 3-4 episodes on Saturday and Sunday. I plan to be done by Labor Day. 

im open to suggestions if ppl have ideas for discussion. (Like no season 2 discussions until x date) I’m not going to look up any plots or anything I want to experience it all again. 

I like the idea of having stop and go dates, cause I tend to blow through episodes fairly quickly and then I have to wait for people to talk to! 😞

47 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I like the idea of having stop and go dates, cause I tend to blow through episodes fairly quickly and then I have to wait for people to talk to! 😞

Season 1 is pretty long- so let’s wait on season 2 until August 21! (30 episodes, and these are 44-45 min not 22-24 min)- what do you think? I can speed up a bit if you really want to being done by Labor Day isn’t going to happen, for some reason I thought these were half an hour originally.

I finished episode 1&2(family stuff this weekend). So even knowing what I know now, regarding Regina knowing about the switch etc, I’m still team Regina. Katherine and John do not understand BOUNDARIES at all. Katherine gets better and she and Regina become friends but hot damn they go full steam ahead- not just wanting to know Daphne (which is understandable), but they want to take her over AND still have Bay. Wtf. Custody battle??? Discussing Daphne’s punishment- but not Bay’s? Everyone should’ve been in therapy.  

These girls are 16 (or 15 almost 16, I don’t think they’ve had their birthday yet), the raising is done, it’s now just preparing them to live as adults. 

Emmett is so baby faced! And Charles Michael Davis was so cute, didn’t we lose him so he could be on The Originals? And we lost Adrianna to be on Jane the Virgin in a few seasons. 

Watching episode 1 and I think it was pretty surprising and progressive of Katherine and John to let Bay talk them into genetic testing to begin with.  Most parents would have just been like, "Shut up! You're not adopted, so drop it!"

Totally forgot Charles Michael Davis was in this.  So hot!  Although thanks for The Originals for helping him fill out that bod!  

tenor.gif

I forgot about all the eye candy on this show! Charles Michael Davis, Blair Redford, Austin Butler.....

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 1

The look Regina gave Katherine when Katherine asked her in episode 5 when Katherine asked her “why would you want to date a man you have no intention of marrying?”.......

It was TOO MUCH!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love this show that they have Regina and Katherine be gorgeous women who aren’t ashamed of their age or are “dowdy” because they aren’t 22. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I really loved this show, but in the current climate of Karen-ness, Katherine is really rubbing me the wrong way in everything she does and says.

Yeah. I think Katherine has a decent moral fiber but you can tell her world view is incredibly narrow and she has never ever thought to check her privilege. Katherine does grow and listen a lot because she wants to do better and is motivated out of love for her kids, like when Regina yelled at her about using her hands to talk to Daphne and she went and learned- and APOLOGIZED to Regina via sign (episode 6 I think). 

Early on I don’t really care for Bay’s attitude. I don’t think she’s a bad human being but the joke is you can tell she was raised by white people the way she talks to authority figures sometimes. Daphne (although biologically white) was raised by Latina women, and suffers from the need to be the “model minority” both in the Latina community and when she interacts with hearing people outside of the Deaf world- you can really see that come through. Yes she likely does have a more sunny personality, but she uses that to try to dispel stereotypes about Deaf people and prove to hearing society that her community has something to offer. That happens a lot in the disability space (I know not all Deaf people consider themselves disabled, but most of the hearing community certainly does!)

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

While I don’t think Regina keeping the switch a secret was “the right thing”, I 100% understand why she made the choice she did and likely in her position I would’ve done the exact same thing. Yeah she was a broke, newly sober, Latina single mother with a white baby and up against rich white people, i 100% understand why she wouldn’t give anyone the chance to take her child!

I get why Bay and Daphne were angry, but now Daphne is the one with the attitude (maybe my household was just more strict than normal because the way these kids talk to their parents I’m 34 and wouldn’t dare).

She focused on being the best Mom to the child in her care, and she did check to make sure that her biological daughter was safe & loved (which she absolutely was). It was more important to take care of the child in her care (who was recovering from a serious illness and recently deaf) than deal with shared custody and/or SWITCHING BACK toddlers, especially when her bio daughter was in a perfectly safe and healthy environment. Had Regina told then she likely still could’ve sued the hospital but may have lost Daphne (they explore this more in the fantasy episode when John has the heart attack in a few seasons).

I think Regina likely would’ve told Daphne when she was 18 like people have done with closed adoptions or sperm/egg donation back in the day. 

Yes Katherine is a sweet person- she handed Regina a tissue. Aww Toby was nice to Regina too. 

YES to Adrianna and Regina telling Daphne that she was allowed to be angry but she must treat her mother with respect. I love Adrianna!

Emmett and Bay are so much adorable budding young love I can’t stand it. It’s so cute!!! They have a very nice chemistry. I am not looking forward to Daphne becoming the green eyed monster and being jealous of their relationship when she didn’t EVER want Emmett!

• Love 2

Oh Angelo, Angelo. I think Angelo is a very interesting character and well written because he’s SO realistic. 

He’s handsome and charming and sexy (hence why people want to be around him), but he’s very emotionally immature and impulsive and looking for the easy way out of things. Is he the type that would seek to hurt someone else? No- but he’s the type that would never put anything or anyone above his WANTS.

Does he actually want to get to know Bay?(I believe he does), but his line to Regina “if the switch hadn’t happened we’d still be together”- BULLSHIT. I agree with Regina that he was going to leave anyway, having to raise a child was too much work for him. Regina was actually in love with him and she’s been single a while, you can tell by the way she’s looking at him there are a lot of unresolved feelings. 

• Love 1

I'm wondering why they all didn't immediately start going to therapy, particularly Bay who is always like "everyone in the world hates me; neglects me; ignores me. And now there's some other girl for everyone to choose over me." They all certainly could have used it.

14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

YES to Adrianna and Regina telling Daphne that she was allowed to be angry but she must treat her mother with respect. I love Adrianna!

14 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I get why Bay and Daphne were angry, but now Daphne is the one with the attitude (maybe my household was just more strict than normal because the way these kids talk to their parents I’m 34 and wouldn’t dare).

None of that shit would fly in my household either.  These kids have way too much leeway.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am not looking forward to Daphne becoming the green eyed monster and being jealous of their relationship when she didn’t EVER want Emmett!

What Daphne did to Emmett (and also to Bay) was so damn manipulative. Pulling that, "it wouldn't have been fair of me to not tell you that now I'm finally into you, even though I know you're with Bay now.  And also, let me kiss you."  Ugh!

5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh Angelo, Angelo. I think Angelo is a very interesting character and well written because he’s SO realistic. 

He’s handsome and charming and sexy (hence why people want to be around him), but he’s very emotionally immature and impulsive and looking for the easy way out of things. Is he the type that would seek to hurt someone else? No- but he’s the type that would never put anything or anyone above his WANTS.

Does he actually want to get to know Bay?(I believe he does), but his line to Regina “if the switch hadn’t happened we’d still be together”- BULLSHIT. I agree with Regina that he was going to leave anyway, having to raise a child was too much work for him. Regina was actually in love with him and she’s been single a while, you can tell by the way she’s looking at him there are a lot of unresolved feelings. 

Why are all the hot ones always gaslighters!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

Why are all the hot ones always gaslighters!

Cause they know they are full of bullshit. Giving ppl just enough attention to keep them invested to use them when they want them. 

• Love 1

Sean Berdy is a very strong actor- the way he works the muscles in his face. 

The first time I saw Emmett get arrested I was terrified for him! Watching that scene again put a knot in my chest. They shone the light in his eyes and he was completely unable to communicate and was defenseless. 

• Love 1

Outside of appreciating Austin Butler’s abs, I appreciate how Wilkie calls Daphne on her crap, leading him on etc but it is never entitled or predatory. You never get the impression that he feels entitled to Daphne’s time or attention but he’s not going to be used. 

I get why Daphne is angry and doesn’t want to have anything to do with Angelo. Angelo needs to back off and accept she may never forgive him and he doesn’t deserve anything from her. He didn’t raise her nor does he have a genetic tie to her*, outside of basic human politeness he can’t expect anything. But Angelo being Angelo wants to be liked, and now he has all these fantasies about what life would be like if the switch hadn’t happened because his life after he left Daphne and Regina hasn’t been the most fulfilling.

Emmett and the billboard- I feel awful for Emmett’s experience during his arrest and how scary that must’ve been for him  that being said, community service and a fine seems fair for trespassing and vandalism  ($5k is steep but the fine is supposed to hurt). I don’t agree with how Mellody has treated Bay (she’s been an ass to a teenager for no reason!) but regarding the fine she was correct. EMMETT broke the law (knowingly and willingly), she doesn’t have the extra $5k, and neither does his Dad, selling his motorcycle is more than fair IMO. It’s not as if they are asking him to sell it pay a medical bill or a school cost. It’s to correct a MISTAKE he made.

Daphne and Bay LYING to John and Katherine for $5k disappointed me so much. That’s such a huge violation. I’m more mad at Bay than Daphne for that because these are your parents. That’s essentially STEALING from your parents- oh so your boyfriend doesn’t have to pay his own fine!

*even if he did my point still stands

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Daphne and Bay LYING to John and Katherine for $5k disappointed me so much. That’s such a huge violation. I’m more mad at Bay than Daphne for that because these are your parents. That’s essentially STEALING from your parents- oh so your boyfriend doesn’t have to pay his own fine!

That entire situation read so differently to me. As I saw it, Bay wasn't involved with this at all.  She kept trying to talk Daphne off the idea and Daphne kept talking over her.  And her explaining why ideas wouldn't work was a strategy to dissuade her.  It also didn't sit well with me that Kathryn immediately blames Bay for the entire thing and of "corrupting" Daphne, who is soooooooooooooooooooo perfect. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

That entire situation read so differently to me. As I saw it, Bay wasn't involved with this at all.  She kept trying to talk Daphne off the idea and Daphne kept talking over her.  And her explaining why ideas wouldn't work was a strategy to dissuade her.  It also didn't sit well with me that Kathryn immediately blames Bay for the entire thing and of "corrupting" Daphne, who is soooooooooooooooooooo perfect. 

Oh okay wait what? I don’t think I got to the next episode! I thought Bay was in on it?

If she was not and it was all Daphne I take it ALL BACK and am mentally apologizing to Bay. 

Katherine and John immediately thinking Bay corrupted Daphne doesn’t surprise me. They have so much guilt about the switch and Daphne’s Deafness she can do no wrong with them right now. Also they know Bay actually loves them. They are so eager to win Daphne over like a friend but they still try to be a parent. 

Those that don’t know me from other boards, I do a lot of Sib Advocacy work (Sib, a sibling to someone with a disability) and we spend a lot of time discussing how parents treat the typical children while raising a disabled sibling and the issues that come up with that (which of course vary based on other factors like gender and the type of disability). My sister is severely mentally disabled (mental age about two years) so my Mom never had to deal with these complex emotional issues (because she isn’t capable of relating to me like that) but boy oh boy some of my similarly situated friends have so many stories like the Bay/Daphne dynamic. 

Stealing is wrong! Absolutely wrong. And Emmett should pay his own fine. I know why Bay feels guilty because it was her bday gift but Emmett made his choice and got caught. 

• Love 1

@luckyroll3 I must’ve fallen asleep mid episode or something because I just saw Regina school Daphne and make her apologize to the Kennishes. Lea Thompson is a such a great actress too- the pain in her face when she found out what Daphne had done. But no, not surprised Katherine thought Bay had put her up to it. 

Angelo, Angelo, Angelo- so he physically assaults someone, so badly that the police are called!!!!! And then he says “they had it out for me”. Wtf Angelo. No your friend shouldn’t have been sleeping with your fiancé, and you had every right to be mad, but dude you can’t beat people up. And then RUN AWAY when called out on what you did! See!! I 100% forgot why Angelo was a felon but this makes so much sense given his personality. 

Grandma Bonnie’s arrival- Meredith Baxter, “hi!!”.

I remember when this first aired and we were discussing it on TwoP, there was a lot of shock and dismay at Grandma Bonnie’s portrayal. I think the writers (who are very very good), captured the “Bonnie type” perfectly. I think there’s a dissonance between a mustache twirling villain who would be out to get Bay or cause her harm because of her ethnic background and not being her bio grandchild, and total acceptance. Human beings aren’t like that. 

And human history is filled with people having emotional attachment and fondness to people/groups they feel are “lesser” than them. Equality is not necessary for affection or fondness. 

So the boys just left for the festival in St. Louis. Now I remember why I gave up on this show so long ago: I am a multitasker while watching TV and a show about deaf people does not lend itself well to this! I am going to keep going though, because it was nice to have a rewatch of Degrassi with you, @Scarlett45, so I'll do this too! 

I lived in KC for a year and my husband is a native, so there are some things about this that are driving me nuts. First of all, the weather. If they wanted this set in CA, they should have just done it. I'm wondering if we will get seasons. Supposedly it is October in the show but the trees are green and the boys just supposedly drove across the state in a convertible. 

I am feeling Bay with the "everyone loves Daphne" vibe. It does seem like things are all about her and Bay gets left out. 

Angelo is a creep, right? Something is up. From what Regina described, I did not picture this very well put together man. I know people can be in recovery and change, but I got the impression that he was an addict as well and it doesn't seem like we're getting any mention of this. Did I remember wrong?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sara416 said:

So the boys just left for the festival in St. Louis. Now I remember why I gave up on this show so long ago: I am a multitasker while watching TV and a show about deaf people does not lend itself well to this! I am going to keep going though, because it was nice to have a rewatch of Degrassi with you, @Scarlett45, so I'll do this too! 

You’re so sweet! But yeah you have to pay attention to read the closed captioning or follow the ASL. 

2 hours ago, sara416 said:

Angelo is a creep, right? Something is up. From what Regina described, I did not picture this very well put together man. I know people can be in recovery and change, but I got the impression that he was an addict as well and it doesn't seem like we're getting any mention of this. Did I remember wrong?

Angelo is an immature con artist and a jerk sometimes but not “creepy” in a violent or predatory sense. They both drank a lot right before Daphne’s illness/him leaving, but he never identified as an alcoholic and committed to sobriety like Regina did. Angelo is one of those people who probably should deal with their issues but cut down on drinking when things are well and abuse it when things are bad- he’s never hit “rock bottom” in a way that would make it give up alcohol completely. But see he beat someone up while he was drunk. Someone that was his FRIEND, the dude has serious impulse control problems. 

6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I've always wondered if they initially planned on Angelo being more outright scummy but decided they liked the actor and toned that down.

I think he and Constance Marie had amazing chemistry, and given how beautiful they both are, they wanted to explore a romance plot with them. If Angelo was total scum no way could we root for them. 

Simone is a duplicitous “you know what”. Please tell me what she had to gain by framing Daphne for the extra coaching? Seems she wants a lackey to blame things on. 

At least these parents seem to be trying to parent these children because Regina again told Bay to watch her tone with her. Bay was going on about how Angelo just left and Regina was going on a date with the gallery owner. Ummmm Angelo walked out on Regina years ago, hooking up again doesn’t mean she owes him a lifetime of fidelity- they weren’t committed! AND the dude left, again! And told no one where he was going. 

Why is Bay so focused on knowing someone who obviously isn’t making her a priority? Also she expects everyone else to prioritize Angelo when he’s done nothing for anyone in the family. (besides contribute DNA to create Bay)

I've seen that in real life, though, where a kid will blame everyone around for the one who isn't. It's less painful than admitting that the one who is terrible/or who left is really just a dead end for you, and you have to just grieve it and move on.

• Love 1

Emmett’s struggles with his parents seem pretty realistic. Divorce is hard even for teens and his Dad’s house was the “fun house”. Regina was trying to bond with Bay over art and it didn’t turn out like she planned but it shows some relationship growth. 

Daphne and this flip flopping between teams. I think the writers didn’t know what to do with her in 1B after Angelo skipped town. TRAVIS!! I love Travis! I thought he didn’t show up until season 2. 

Shallow bus- Bay’s hair always looks so nice. 

Again Sean Berdy is an excellent actor. 

I am feeling for Emmett right now. Yes Melody’s home is best, but I’m pissed at Melody AND Cameron for putting BAY, the boy’s GIRLFRIEND in the middle of an adult situation. Melody shouldn’t have come to Bay. Cameron how about stepping up and parenting your son instead of making your ex-wife the bad guy. But no it just easier to be the fun parent and have her enforce all of the discipline. Of course Emmett feels unwanted. 

But no fucking Simone wasn’t the way to deal with that (I know he realizes that right afterwards). 

• Love 1

I'm still not done with season 1, because these seasons are MASSIVE! I hate what Melody did to Bay by putting her in the middle of the custody thing. She had no right to do that. I know we have to suspend our disbelief in a lot of shows, but in my experience with kids and court systems, the girlfriend of the child means absolutely nothing to the court. 

Speaking of suspension of disbelief...seasons? Any? Fall? Winter? Anything? This drives me nuts when shows do this. I understand it is cheaper, but just set the show in California!

I'm so sad about Wilke. I actually really liked him. He was like a poor man's Dick Casablancas (from Veronica Mars) but I liked hi, because he had more heart. Any particular reason he was written off? I think he and Daphne made a good couple and I don't think they had to be endgame or anything, but he could have stuck around longer. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, sara416 said:

Any particular reason he was written off? I think he and Daphne made a good couple and I don't think they had to be endgame or anything, but he could have stuck around longer.

Austin Butler got a lead role on “The Carrie Diaries” on the CW. 

Im so sick of Angelo! You don’t DISAPPEAR and then claim “it was for you”- wtf. Who does that to their “family”???? 

Regina why why why?????? We know she doesn’t keep to her word regarding being done with Angelo- she’s too good for him. 

41 minutes ago, sara416 said:

I know we have to suspend our disbelief in a lot of shows, but in my experience with kids and court systems, the girlfriend of the child means absolutely nothing to the court. 

Bay is old enough to testify in family court if she saw illegal or dangerous things in the home. Minors testify in family court all the time. Now how much weight that would have is another story. 

Speaking of Wilkie- Austin Butler got a the title role in an Elvis biopic due in 2021!

I want to randomly say that I’m happy they have the adults practicing safe sex on this show (Regina using condoms with her boyfriend), and I also like how Regina is still a beautiful woman with adult needs but doesn’t bring every Tom, Dick and Harry around her child.

So often single moms are either “angelic nuns who think about nothing but their kids” or “totally immature man obsessed fools”- how about letting single moms be PEOPLE. 

And then she goes and marries Angelo. PLOT DEVICE.  

Im remembering one of the reasons I loved this show so much was because the intra- family dynamics are so realistic. 

• Love 3

Can you guys tell how much I don’t like Angelo?

”leaving you & Regina was wrong, but I’m here now to make up for it”....

”This is the man who left me when I went deaf, are we ever going to move past it?” 

Ummmm Angelo- DAPHNE doesn’t owe you jack shit. DAPHNE never asked to be here, YOU are the one that left. Daphne does not have to be your friend or give you any sort of attention outside of basic human decency. Angelo is just pissed because he wants back in Regina’s pants and Daphne is a road block to that. Oh and he doesn’t want to accept that there are consequences to his actions- he chose to leave Daphne and Regina, and as such he doesn’t get the family life Regina and Daphne had.

Why is this man so entitled? He was GONE for 13yrs. 

• Love 2

Yeah, not an Angelo fan. I finally finished Season 1. I like the $1 judgement actually. Like John said, it wasn't about the money, but now it will be on record forever that there was a judgement against the hospital. I think it's horseshit that Angelo got anything, but they needed a plot device, so there it was. 

It takes about 12 hours to get from KC to San Antonio, so that whole trip there and back was kind of ridiculous. I know I keep nitpicking this, but since I lived in KC for a bit, it's easier for me to pick at. 

Bay was so incerdibly stupid to take that money from the safe. Even for a teenager, that was STOOOOOPID. She does have amazing hair though. And she was such a waste of a character on Gilmore Girls, it's nice to see her actually shine as an actress. 

Oh Daphne. Naive, sweet, Daphne. I think so many people can relate to her thinking that she was going to have a relationship and a future with Jeff because she was just so enamored with him. Heartbreak sucks. Heartbreak really sucks when you are a teenager. She, also, has fabulous hair.

On to season 2!

• Love 2

What is Bay doing toiling around with that Zara character? I’m kind of looking a forward to seeing John & Travis’ relationship develop. 

I am rarely on John’s side but I was 100% when he ripped Bay a new one. She stole from her parents, and involved Travis-a kid who has no one (essentially), if she really wanted to help out Zara she should’ve asked. Stealing from your parents is the lowest of the low. 

Rewatching this show is making me want to brush up on my ASL. 

• Love 1
On 8/13/2020 at 10:56 PM, sara416 said:

I think it's horseshit that Angelo got anything, but they needed a plot device, so there it was. 

Y’all know I can’t stand Angelo, but from a legal perspective he was the one most harmed by the hospital’s negligence. Given the information he had, he had no biological daughter for all these years. 

I do hope a part of the compensations was to pay the Kennishes legal bills, 40% of $1 is hardly just compensation for all of his work! Lol. 

I am not aware of because he was the legal father to Daphne (acknowledged paternity, signed the birth certificate, parented her for 3yrs) he was supposed to be legally responsible for her until she was 18 and he neglected that responsibility. 

Daphne should’ve kept her mouth shut with the owner of Maize and just waited for an interpreter for her own protection. 

screw Chef Jeff, why is a grown man fucking around with a 16yrs old girl????? Isn’t he at least 24/25???? She’s not even 18! I was 100% on Angelo’s side with his reaction. Angelo can be an ass but he’s not a creep like Jeff. 

I think Katherine’s testimony was very realistic. No, she’s never going to get over the fact that she went into the hospital to have her baby and went home with another baby. But she doesn’t want to undue 16years of loving and nurturing Bay because that’s 16 years of real lived experience. That doesn’t mean the hospital wasn’t negligent and wrong for what they did!

Im ready for season 2 when you guys are. 

So- you know I’m no Angelo fan, but that doesn’t mean the guy is wrong all the time. Asking for a DNA test when a one night stand (or anyone you aren’t married/seriously committed to) is a perfectly reasonable thing in my opinion. And also- if a woman chooses to carry a pregnancy to term, “handling it yourself” isn’t really the moral thing to do (exceptions being if you reasonably believe the man is a danger to you or the baby). Bio fathers have a right to know they have a child out there in the world- and yeah they can raise it and leave you out of it etc but just NOT telling the guy cause you just don’t feel like it doesn’t make a lick of sense.

I distinctly remember tweeting Marlee Marlin all those years ago after the speech Melody gave Daphne about not disrespecting the forebears who fought for rights she takes for granted. As a black woman that resonated with me. 

I spoiler tagged the rest because I was getting ahead of myself more than a few episodes.

I didn’t agree with this woman placing the baby for adoption and Angelo having to fight to get his child back. (I do agree we need to give bio mothers the option to walk away and let the bio dad raise the kid- like a retroactive surrogacy situation, like what happened in 

The Birdcage.) Now Angelo is still a lazy bum because if I recall actually RAISING this kid was too much work for him TOO- just like Daphne! But this baby WAS his biologically and wasn’t deaf. He just wanted someone else to do the heavy work of raising the child.

13 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I distinctly remember tweeting Marlee Marlin all those years ago after the speech Melody gave Daphne about not disrespecting the forebears who fought for rights she takes for granted. As a black woman that resonated with me. 

Hide contents

I'm going to own my ableism here and say that I honestly had never thought about this as a part of deaf culture. I've definitely felt that as a woman, which is why I NEVER miss an opportunity to vote. But I've never given much thought to the specific people that would have fought for the rights of deaf and other communities like that. I have also noted that since watching this show, likely because I'm watching several episodes at a time, I have started actually picking up on some ASL! It's like when you spend a lot of time around a person who has a specific accent or vernacular and you start incorporating that into your own speech. I'm finding myself wanting to talk with my hands more. I really like that I'm absorbing some of this. 

Just now, sara416 said:

I'm going to own my ableism here and say that I honestly had never thought about this as a part of deaf culture. I've definitely felt that as a woman, which is why I NEVER miss an opportunity to vote. But I've never given much thought to the specific people that would have fought for the rights of deaf and other communities like that. I have also noted that since watching this show, likely because I'm watching several episodes at a time, I have started actually picking up on some ASL! It's like when you spend a lot of time around a person who has a specific accent or vernacular and you start incorporating that into your own speech. I'm finding myself wanting to talk with my hands more. I really like that I'm absorbing some of this. 

I spend a decent amount of time in the disability space because of my family circumstances (being secondary caregiver to my sister and having cared for my grandfather (Blind) when he was alive), and yeah it’s something people don’t think about.

Intersectionality- ableism is HUGE in the black community (for obvious reasons), and I was so happy to find this show because it’s rare Deaf or Hard of Hearing people are represented. 

Yeah I am brushing up on my ASL too!!