Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

(edited)

On the way to the wedding, Maya went to her parents' house. She stood on the doorstep and came out to them, told them she was getting married, invited her mother to attend, and in fact to come live with them if she is tired of being under Maya's father's control, told her father to shut up when he started to speak, and then smiled and went off the the wedding. So when mom showed up, that's why. I kind of liked how low key Maya was when she saw her there. It's still Maya's day, and not about her mom, but she was glad her mom was there.

ETA: KaveDweller types faster than I do!

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

What I don't understand is why Vic told Dean she loved him after the water rescue.  Did she mean she loved him like a brother?   Anyway, now he's confused after seeing her and Theo slobbering over each other.  

I liked the lawyer and I hope she's done with Dean, especially after he told her he was in love with someone else and she figured out it was Vic.  I want the lawyer to move on, I don't want her to be jerked around and be a part of the Vic/Dean/Theo mess. 

• Love 3

I have generally liked Sullivan, but yeah that was a really messed up thing for him to do. He might say he's doing this to save the station, but he was awfully quick to throw Maya under the bus and start selling himself as the perfect replacement. He has been salty all season about his huge demotion, although really he should consider himself lucky that he wasn't fired, so I can totally see him taking advantage of the situation to get himself back on top. Andy has every right to be pissed, and I am glad that its finally hitting her that marrying a guy after dating him for two seconds was a bad idea. 

Of course Maya and Carina are also getting married pretty quickly, and Marsha was trying to get Jack to propose to Inara after only dating for a few months, that's just how this show is. Everything either takes a million years to get together, or they get together after a date or two. Now the Vic/Miller drama continues, of course Miller decides to finally confess his feelings for her the second she gets with Leo, who her dad invited to this wedding between two people neither of them know, and the love triangle will go on. I am glad though that Inara broke up with Jack. Its sad, but it was clear that he loved the idea of a family and not her. He really needs to work on himself before getting into another relationship. 

I wonder if the show dialed way back on the fires and rescues because of COVID restrictions? Or if they just wanted to focus a lot on doing 2020 throughout the whole season with the pandemic and the protests? Both? 

• Love 3

Sullivan had the station rally around and forgive him and testify at his hearing-- even though he got the mobile surgical unit canceled. I really hope they don't buy his "I threw Maya under the bus for YOU!" story. I don't see how he can effectively lead a team that supported him and then he turned around and betrayed. It's been unclear to me how satisfied people are with Maya as their captain, but hopefully they see through this maneuver.

They used to always say that Sta 19 had the best stats (response time, etc). I know the Dept is gunning for them because of the protests against racist policing, but the one thing Sullivan said that's true is that they don't want the members of 19 talking to the press. I don't see how having Maya ousted and replaced by Sullivan would stop them from doing that.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 11:00 AM, tennisgurl said:

I wonder if the show dialed way back on the fires and rescues because of COVID restrictions? Or if they just wanted to focus a lot on doing 2020 throughout the whole season with the pandemic and the protests? Both? 

Probably a combination of both.

I have friends in production and dealing with COVID restrictions is super expensive. So they probably would have had to find ways to cut costs in other areas and I imagine the fire scenes are the most costly as opposed to the "human interest" scenes.

And I do think there was definitely a conscious focus on issues of systemic racism after Floyd's murder. I am a fan of escapist television but I also think that popular culture and television is really a way to move people's minds and hearts in a way that straight news and documentary doesn't.

I am of an age when Julia was a HUGE television event and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner was viewed as very provocative. And now it is really great that to a great extent interracial friendships and relationships aren't viewed as "exotic". But I also think it is great that characters who are POC are able to provide a voice for what it is like to live as a POC in modern America and that their "friends" who are watching them through the screen might be moved and start to think about things a bit differently. So there is more of an understanding that all these "nice" "heroic" "middle class" POC have to deal with issues of racism and experience life quite a bit differently than their white counterparts even if they seem to be living parallel lives.

Edited by amarante
  • Love 6

Well the fires are back. This season premiere felt more like the show used to feel, so I'm thinking it really was somehow related to COVID that they didn't do them in the previous run of episodes. 

I hate that they once again suckered me into watching Grey's. The crossover had nothing to do with Sta 19, other than showing us the utcome of the case with the guy who blew his face off. Not worth the hour I wasted on it.

Dude, if you're nervous about declaring how in love you are, maybe don't show up to do it wearing nothing but a towel to say it in front of your uniformed colleagues. I hate love triangles, though, so really nothing they can do with this story is going to make me happy. 

I already didn't like Robert even before the current... scandal... and I still don't. He betrayed the entire station stealing narcotics, and got the surgical program canceled. And everybody defended him. But somehow he couldn't find it in his heart to stick up for Maya. So... a much delayed "I'm sorry" is not enough to wipe that away. I liked having him called out on his ruthless streak. 

• Love 1

Welcome back, Station 19. You...came back with a bang.

10 months. It took 10 months for Sullivan to actually figure out that he was wrong and apologize. I loved that Andy reamed him out, and I did like her explanation as to why she didn't start the divorce process sooner. Connecting it with her dad's death makes sense, because we kind of all figured out that she only married Sullivan because of her dad, anyway. 

Well, this Dean stuff is going to annoy me. It's just frustrating because it seems like we really will head to a Dean/Vic romance by the end of the season, because why ELSE would the show be dragging us along through this if it was going to end up exactly how Dean predicted it would? Plus, with Theo/Andy sharing scenes, now I think they might go there with them! Because men and women on this show can't be JUST FRIENDS unless one of them is gay. 

Did Carina say more than one line in this episode? 

They haven't set up too much for the season, more like closed chapters to stories. 

• Love 4

Yet again, we're stuck with "Vic and Dean:  Will they or won't they?"  I was rolling my eyes at both of them, especially Dean.  And standing there in a towel just made him look stupid.  

I like this show much more than Grey's (I hate the crossovers) but please, show, move on from those two.

I loved how Ben politely ripped Sullivan a new one at the wedding.  Ruthless!

• Love 4

I am probably obtuse and don't clearly remember the last episode but what would have happened if Sullivan hadn't attempted to claim the Station

Would things have remained as they were with no repercussions - not defending his actions but it seems like it was inevitable and did I miss why the new guy was installed?

On 10/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, amarante said:

I am probably obtuse and don't clearly remember the last episode but what would have happened if Sullivan hadn't attempted to claim the Station

Would things have remained as they were with no repercussions - not defending his actions but it seems like it was inevitable and did I miss why the new guy was installed?

I think they were thinking about demoting Maya and possibly even transferring some of the current team. I don't remember exactly what Maya did, but people were very upset about it. I supposed maybe Maya could have convinced them otherwise if they met with her first? But there were going to be some consequences.

I don't think we know why the new guy was installed. I thought in the finale, Sullivan was named temporary Captain, so I guess maybe after the investigation they decided he wasn't the best choice and put in someone new. Which is pretty much why Sullivan was originally named Captain. They decided 19 needed an outsider in charge to whip them all into shape.

• Love 3
On 10/1/2021 at 4:04 PM, amarante said:

It's quite possible if Sullivan hadn't have gone in that she STILL would have been demoted. But I think the issue WAS that Sullivan went in prematurely and didn't fight FOR Maya, like she did for him months earlier when he was about to lose his job, but he fought FOR her job instead. He didn't even try to support Maya, but seemed to see the writing on the wall that she would be demoted for sexist reasons and just went straight for getting Captain anyway (which he didn't even get, AND everyone heard about what he did).

So, it was more the principle of at least TRYING to support Maya, something he didn't do. He didn't go in to the Fire Chief to say "hey, Maya's a really good Captain and you should keep her on and not fire her/demote her". He said "hey, she's probably losing her job anyway, so this is why I should take over as Captain."

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Ben really gave Sullivan a very polite tongue lashing at that wedding, Sullivan really does have a serious ruthless streak. It majorly backfired on him this time, trying to jump in and go for Maya's job led to his marriage falling apart, everyone hating him, and he didn't even get the job, they gave it to some prick who cant even keep some stoner from stealing their truck. 

I feel like I have to say this every other episode now but I will say it again, I am not going to watch Greys, no matter how much this show tries to make me. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I feel like I have to say this every other episode now but I will say it again, I am not going to watch Greys, no matter how much this show tries to make me. 

The crossovers are really much less important than the promos make them out to be.

It must be nice for the guest stars though. They book one role with a few minutes of screentime, but get two paychecks for the two shows.

• Love 2

So... Sullivan was impervious to the K2 fumes? He was able to go in and rescue all of them without passing out? When none of the rest of them were able to handle it at all? I must have missed something. 

I find him cartoonishly unlikable, though. He's telling his sponsor Andy wants a divorce because he's a grunt? Seriously??????? He really didn't learn anything from the "ruthless" conversation OR from what Andy has said to him.

--

I can't remember why "not a firefighter, but I"m trained in crisis management" guy is no longer a firefighter. I also can't remember his name. Also, why aren't they putting people with mental health training on the team? These kinds of programs are supposed to have social workers and other people with experience in the actual field. 

--

It's just stupid not to figure out if you're on the same page about children before you get married. I feel bad for Maya. I'm less sympathetic to Carina because I don't actually find her interesting or likable and she seems to always be pressuring Maya for one thing or another. Their relationship seems as healthy as Andy's was with Robert, which is to say: not at all.

--

I like seeing Gibson set a boundary and not invite Andy to stay with him. He's really working on his issues.

• Love 1

Why do almost no couples in Shondaland talk to each other about the most important things in a relationship? There is always so much fucking drama over having kids or not having kids. I'm not saying being a parent is easy or for everyone. I'm saying this stuff should be hashed out before you even live together let alone getting married.

• Love 6
On 10/8/2021 at 3:02 AM, possibilities said:

I can't remember why "not a firefighter, but I"m trained in crisis management" guy is no longer a firefighter. I also can't remember his name. Also, why aren't they putting people with mental health training on the team? These kinds of programs are supposed to have social workers and other people with experience in the actual field. 

--

Emmett

He only became a firefighter because he was pressured to by his father - the jerkass police chief - and eventually stood up for himself and quit because it wasn't what he wanted to do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't think Andy and Sullivan should be married but that's neither here or there. Do these writers think no has been divorced before? That whole storyline was stupid. You are the one who tells the lawyer when to serve them and what day and even time. Or even easier if your spouse agrees, they're served at a specific time/date place. Very rarely is when they're served ever a surprise. 

Why will no one in TV land talk about these big things like whether or not they want children before they get married? I know Maya and Carina married quickly (like everyone on this show) but you would think this is something that they would have wanted to get on the same page about. As we have learned from Sullivan and Andy, getting quickly married in a time of high emotion is a bad idea. 

Sullivan clearly still has his head firmly up his ass if he still thinks that Andy is divorcing him because he got demoted or because of the drugs. She was fine with all of those things, she's divorcing him because of what he tried to pull with Maya.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Why will no one in TV land talk about these big things like whether or not they want children before they get married? I know Maya and Carina married quickly (like everyone on this show) but you would think this is something that they would have wanted to get on the same page about. As we have learned from Sullivan and Andy, getting quickly married in a time of high emotion is a bad idea. 

Maya and Carina did talk about having kids. I thought Maya said she didn't know if she wanted a baby, and Carina said okay. But now she is pushing it again.

This happens a lot in Shonda-land.

I stopped watching this season after two because I could not stand Andy, her dad and the show constantly telling us how amazing Andy was.

What happened to her trying to be and insisting she should be captain? Was that dropped in favour of Maya taking over?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I stopped watching this season after two because I could not stand Andy, her dad and the show constantly telling us how amazing Andy was.

What happened to her trying to be and insisting she should be captain? Was that dropped in favour of Maya taking over?

Her dad convinced Sullivan that Andy shouldn't have the job because he (the dad) was going to die and Andy would be too emotional after that to be a good captain. Especially since her friend Ryan had also died. So Sullivan picked Maya to promote.

And yeah, Andy married Sullivan after that. 

• Useful 2

Of course it just takes saving one kid to get Maya totally behind having kids, because as we all know, no character, especially a female one, is allowed to not want kids on television. If they cant be convinced, they must be banished to offscreen land immediately. Also Carina and Sullivan were both being ridiculous treating the teen having a heat stroke. Lets focus on saving this kid and maybe not on petty bickering over personal stuff alright?

Having Jack bond with Ben's son about being a foster kid was a good idea, I'm surprised they have not thought of that before. Ben looked surprised when Jack talked about it, I suppose its not common knowledge. I thought there would be some follow up between them, but Ben reuniting the foster siblings was nice. 

• Love 1

I wasn't at all surprised that Jack was good with the man on the bus. He's always been good with people who are in crisis and don't fit into their surroundings. 

I like the Crisis team. It's kind of a no brainer that the FD would be better suited for this job than the police. Firefighters are trained in rescue, medical crises, and saving people from danger. They don't have an adversarial relationship with the community, they are trusted, and they don't fear the people around them.

• Love 3

I liked the crisis team, too.  However, the female leader of the training session was kind of useless and I think Miller could have done her job. 

Speaking of Miller, I wonder if he's leaving Station 19 to promote his program.  I hope he does because I'm tired of him looking sad eyed at Vic and whatshisname.  I want that triangle to be over.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

What I really want to know is if Hen is aware that Karen leads a double life in Seattle? 😁

Points to whomever gets the reference!

I know!  I don't remember what happened to her on 9-1-1 and whether she was written off the show.  

I think she's still on 9-1-1. She and Hen had a whole foster child storyline, and we've been seeing her on and off, probably more often than we see her on Sta19.

I enjoy her in both roles. 

I noticed the actress is knock-kneed, in this episode, which I never noticed before. Not that it matters. It just surprised me. I picture her as having a very powerful stance and a different posture than I saw this time. I think it's a sign of her good acting that I didn't notice before.

• Love 3

Yeah, I noticed she was knock-kneed, too, and I hadn't noticed it on 9-1-1.  The reason I didn't think she was that useful in this episode is because she kept talking about "empathy" which was ok but she really didn't add anything else to the discussion, which is why I thought Miller could have done just as well in her role.  I still don't understand why she's on Station 19.  She's an ok actress who should just remain on 9-1-1.    

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Love 1

I like the crisis squad, its one of the better plots the show has had in awhile. It makes since that firefighters would take the lead on this, and I am not surprised that Jack is good at it, he has always been good at helping people in crisis situations.

Is Miller leaving the show? I would miss him but at least it would end this boring love triangle. 

• Love 3

Damn. It looked like he wasn't going to make I thought back on the episode. They telegraphed the shot out him dying. I still really really don't want to see him go. Especially, him being a proud black father. His race doesn't actually matter but as a fellow black man, I love see black men be kick ass dads. Hughes has lost her biggest love, grandmother and "brother". We go through loss but that was a lot.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I did not think they'd actually kill Miller off. That really sucks, I'll miss him, even if his love for Hughes was annoying.

This! I was hoping he was leaving the show to move to CA so that we'd be spared the Hughes love storyline but was expecting him to die

• Love 1

That was not what I expected. Maybe because we were only five episodes in and I didn't think they'd throw in a main character death so randomly in there like that, but I really didn't expect Dean to die like that. They set him up for some good plots, and not so good plots, and then they kill him off? They couldn't have let him go off to Oakland and go do his thing with Pru? I know the actor chose to leave, but it doesn't mean they needed to kill him off. 

So annoyed by the trope where a character says they're leaving, only to get killed off instead that very episode. They've killed off so many of the main men on this show, they didn't need to do it AGAIN. Literally, EVERY SINGLE main character who's departed since the start has been men and they've ALL been killed off. Not a single one has left on their own accord. 

I understood them killing off Pruitt two seasons ago, and I guess they really wanted a tragic love story with Ripley and Vic (I know Ripley wasn't an official main character). But they also randomly killed off Ryan after they had already sent the character away, and now Dean, who they were just ABOUT to send away. 

So goddamn stupid. I'm more annoyed than outright sad. 

• Love 5
On 10/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, Crashcourse said:

I liked the crisis team, too.  However, the female leader of the training session was kind of useless and I think Miller could have done her job. 

Speaking of Miller, I wonder if he's leaving Station 19 to promote his program.  I hope he does because I'm tired of him looking sad eyed at Vic and whatshisname.  I want that triangle to be over.  

She will always be the lawyer in Rent singing the Tango Maureen to me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So annoyed by the trope where a character says they're leaving, only to get killed off instead that very episode. They've killed off so many of the main men on this show, they didn't need to do it AGAIN. Literally, EVERY SINGLE main character who's departed since the start has been men and they've ALL been killed off. Not a single one has left on their own accord. 

So goddamn stupid. I'm more annoyed than outright sad. 

Is this a shonda show?

12 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Is this a shonda show?

I mean, technically yes, but more of a Krista Vernoff show. But even Grey's Anatomy didn't kill off their main characters at the start. Grey's has killed off George (that was their first BIG main character death), Lexie, Mark, Derek, and Andrew in terms of their main cast. 

Of course, Grey's have killed off more recurring characters but they have had characters leave the show without having to die. Even actors who caused serious problems on Grey's and were fired? Their characters even lived another day (yes, I'm talking about Isaiah Washington).

All of Station 19's bigger characters (either main cast or major recurring) have died. Two of which died in the same season. And we're in the fifth season. 

Point is that Dean didn't have to die. He could have left for Oakland and we could have heard them talk about his growth with Crisis One. We've already seen plenty of storylines where the characters have grieved a death. We saw it with Pruitt Herrera, if we're talking about the death of a fellow firefighter. We saw Vic grieve Ripley. We've seen Andy grieve her dad AND Ryan. 

Also, speaking of that, Travis is obviously worried about Vic having to lose another loved one, and it totally makes sense because Travis is Vic's best friend, but he was also acting (in the Grey's crossover) as if she's the only one to have to grieve another loss in her life when Andy's right there. Andy lost her best friend, someone she knew her entire life, and then lost her dad months later. Not to mention the fact that Ryan was shot right in front of her so she had to watch him die. 

I just think that, at this point, we've seen these characters grieve because they keep KILLING them. Ok, so THIS time, it's their coworker and friend, which I GUESS is different from their Chief, or Pruitt Herrera. But is it REALLY going to be much different than the other grief storylines we've seen? How is THIS time different from the other times, besides the person who died? What could they possibly do different with this storyline than they've done with the three other storylines? 

And, more to the point, do we really need to see Vic sad for the rest of the season? Or the other characters? I mean, Jack was ALSO close with Dean so are we gonna see him grieving?

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I mean, technically yes, but more of a Krista Vernoff show. But even Grey's Anatomy didn't kill off their main characters at the start. Grey's has killed off George (that was their first BIG main character death), Lexie, Mark, Derek, and Andrew in terms of their main cast. 

Of course, Grey's have killed off more recurring characters but they have had characters leave the show without having to die. Even actors who caused serious problems on Grey's and were fired? Their characters even lived another day (yes, I'm talking about Isaiah Washington).

All of Station 19's bigger characters (either main cast or major recurring) have died. Two of which died in the same season. And we're in the fifth season. 

Point is that Dean didn't have to die. He could have left for Oakland and we could have heard them talk about his growth with Crisis One. We've already seen plenty of storylines where the characters have grieved a death. We saw it with Pruitt Herrera, if we're talking about the death of a fellow firefighter. We saw Vic grieve Ripley. We've seen Andy grieve her dad AND Ryan. 

Also, speaking of that, Travis is obviously worried about Vic having to lose another loved one, and it totally makes sense because Travis is Vic's best friend, but he was also acting (in the Grey's crossover) as if she's the only one to have to grieve another loss in her life when Andy's right there. Andy lost her best friend, someone she knew her entire life, and then lost her dad months later. Not to mention the fact that Ryan was shot right in front of her so she had to watch him die. 

I just think that, at this point, we've seen these characters grieve because they keep KILLING them. Ok, so THIS time, it's their coworker and friend, which I GUESS is different from their Chief, or Pruitt Herrera. But is it REALLY going to be much different than the other grief storylines we've seen? How is THIS time different from the other times, besides the person who died? What could they possibly do different with this storyline than they've done with the three other storylines? 

And, more to the point, do we really need to see Vic sad for the rest of the season? Or the other characters? I mean, Jack was ALSO close with Dean so are we gonna see him grieving?

I asked if it was a Shonda show because isn't she big on punishing actors and killing them off? 

If Vic could get over her fiance dying, I'm sure she will bounce back from this. Wasn't she with Avery immediately after the guy's death? I think she and Warren basically carried the crossover. 

And I think Isaiah would have been killed off if she'd had the confidence then to punish him like she really wanted to. But it was too early in.

Edited by Chewy101

I am really upset about this development. I didn't realize the actor wanted out, but still-- I really wanted the Crisis One thing to spread, and if they had to lose the actor, at least they could have given him that kind of exit. 

There's enough pain on this show, I don't need to be a glutton for the absolute maximum possible devastation.

I hope they don't make Maya and Carina adopt Pru. They've been setting up the story for them all season and I really don't think either one of them is right for Pru.

In the crossover

they made it seem like Bailey and Warren will be adopting her. I hope they don't also turn that into a custody battle for more pain, with the grandparents fighting it. I also thought that Travis was shown to be extra crushed because it reminded him of his own loss, when his first husband died. But Gibson wasn't in the crossover at all once they unloaded the ambulance, which to me seemed quite strange. Andy and Warren and Travis all stayed.

• Love 1

I’m freaking heartbroken. Loooooooved Miller! Haven’t watched Grey’s yet but would be happy if Ben and Bailey adopt Pru. Can’t even stomach thought of more Maya/Carina (the latter by far my least favorite “supposed to be a favorite” character. 

• Love 3