Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I really didn't like that episode. First of all timing wise, with the Floyd verdict just happening, I personally didn't want to go through that again. And this season is pretty much just big long speeches and it is bugging me. This isn't why I watch tv. 

• Love 2

The 9-1-1 shows and Station 19 must be pulling from the same casting pool. First Tracie Thoms comes over from 9-1-1 and now the woman playing Innara just showed up on 9-1-1: Lonestar

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

I tuned in late. Who's the third guy who fell overboard with Ben and Miller?

That was the older fire captain who had been trying to dissuade Miller from suing the police.  He became short of breath and fell overboard, Miller jumped in and then Ben.  

11 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I can't trust anyone who springs themselves on me. Therefore, JJ's parents are seriously suspicious in my book. 

They clearly want to take custody of the baby. Did JJ ever sign away her rights or did she just take off?

I really don't know what Ben was thinking just jumping off the boat when no one was there to get help.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

That was the older fire captain who had been trying to dissuade Miller from suing the police.  He became short of breath and fell overboard, Miller jumped in and then Ben.  

Thank you! So, he's presumably out to sea? I was so confused this episode. The sound quality wasn't good on my end and I missed a lot of dialogue. I should have used CC. Did they actually wash ashore?

(edited)
44 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Did they actually wash ashore?

That's what I figured since, I think, we saw Warren lying alone, waking up on the shore before we saw that there were EMTs.

Edited by izabella

I don't understand how a person goes all the way over the railing like that. I'd think you'd need quite a bit of arm strength to actually lift and propel yourself over like that. And if you CAN just topple over it, the railing is not high enough!

But whatever. I liked the episode despite all the nonsense.

• Love 1

That was a mostly boring episode. 55 minutes of two guys and a dead guy floating in the ocean. The revelation of Dean/Vic rearing its ugly head once more, and Ben's diagnosis and needing surgery, was...meh.

I don't instantly trust JJ's parents because I wonder why they're SO DAMN NICE. That's a red flag in my book, especially knowing that they are apparently as rich as Dean's family. 

• Love 4

I am clearly an awful person, because when the chief had a heart attack and went flying off the boat, my first thought was "the guys so sick of speeches that he jumped off the boat to escape them". Seriously, this season has been going so hard on so many of these long obviously performative speeches that Miller is still giving them as he's floating around the ocean near death with a dead guy! I know Miller has a lot of feels about fatherhood and systemic racism, but maybe wait until you get to the beach before the conversation continues? Are the lack of rescues and fires this season because of COVID limitations or budget issues, or is just because the writers have so many speeches already written that they didn't have time for anything else? 

Why didn't Ben tell people that someone went overboard instead of jumping in? Didn't he sound the alarm? With a whole boat of firefighters you would think they could be rescued pretty quickly if Ben or Miller had just told people what was happening before jumping in. 

JJ's parents totally want to take Prue, they are probably so disappointed with screw up JJ that they see Prue as their chance to have a daughter do over. And also Miller loves Vic, which meh whatever. They have been almost together for ages now anyway. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Why didn't Ben tell people that someone went overboard instead of jumping in? Didn't he sound the alarm? With a whole boat of firefighters you would think they could be rescued pretty quickly if Ben or Miller had just told people what was happening before jumping in. 

Also, I found it totally unrealistic the no one heard Ben yelling and banging on the door.  Were they all drunk?

• Love 4
19 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Thank you! So, he's presumably out to sea? I was so confused this episode. The sound quality wasn't good on my end and I missed a lot of dialogue. I should have used CC. Did they actually wash ashore?

The chief died from a heart attack early on and they were holding on to his body to give him a respectable burial. But they lost him when the boat was nearby and he sank.

I'm probably a terrible person because I thought it was dumb to waste their strength holding a dead body up.

47 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Also, I found it totally unrealistic the no one heard Ben yelling and banging on the door.  Were they all drunk?

I don't think anyone was super close to the back of the ship and there could have been wind drowning out the voices. That is why it was so stupid of Ben to not try harder to get help. He could have thrown over the life preserver then run and had them stop the ship. 

I can sort of buy Miller jumping in because he was right next to the guy who fell and didn't have as much time to react.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know Miller has a lot of feels about fatherhood and systemic racism, but maybe wait until you get to the beach before the conversation continues?

I don't know what they were supposed to talk about while out there. Ben's cancer and Dean's lawsuit are the biggest things in their lives right now, and Dean was talking about it with the guy who went overboard and landed them in that situation, so I wasn't surprised that's what he had on his mind. 

• Love 4

I watched it again last night and, other than being distracted by realizing they were standing in a tank of water on a soundstage, I really liked this episode. I also appreciated that there were no white actors in this one other than the POS doctor who turned away before telling Ben he likely has cancer. (It didn't hurt my enjoyment of this one to not have to suffer through any of Andy's drama, either.)

• Love 4
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't know what they were supposed to talk about while out there.

I suppose there are only so many things to talk about in a situation where your floating in the ocean with a dead guy who you were just arguing with before he dropped dead, I don't really know what else you could make small talk about, especially when you are having so many huge life changing events all going on at once. Playing I Spy would presumably get old pretty fast. 

For a second I was worried I was going to have to watch Greys to see how Ben and Miller get out of this, but thank God they actually finished this plot on this show instead of trying to force me to watch another one. I also learned that apparently Meredith came back from her beach purgatory that the commercials have been going on about, so that's nice I guess? So did the whole arc end up feeling pointless, or was it just cool seeing the millions of people who have died on Greys? 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I watched it again last night and, other than being distracted by realizing they were standing in a tank of water on a soundstage, I really liked this episode. I also appreciated that there were no white actors in this one other than the POS doctor who turned away before telling Ben he likely has cancer. (It didn't hurt my enjoyment of this one to not have to suffer through any of Andy's drama, either.)

I didn't notice the lack of white actors-- that's a cool observation. 

Honestly, I really like this show and am surprised it's not more popular than it is. I get what's wrong with it, but most shows have a lot of flaws and it's always funny to see which ones are popular anyway, and which aren't.

• Love 6
On 5/8/2021 at 4:54 PM, tennisgurl said:

I suppose there are only so many things to talk about in a situation where your floating in the ocean with a dead guy who you were just arguing with before he dropped dead, I don't really know what else you could make small talk about, especially when you are having so many huge life changing events all going on at once. Playing I Spy would presumably get old pretty fast. 

This made me giggle.  But I'm twisted that way.  

Yes, stupid of Ben to jump in without getting help and did he not realize there we re two people in the water - why only bring one life jacket?  And the life jacket he did bring was attached to a long rope (I saw it when he jumped in) - tie the dead guy to it and put Miller in the jacket. When dead captain floated away the perfectly good life jacket went with him.

First rule of rescue - tell somebody else to go get help.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, tennisgurl said:

For a second I was worried I was going to have to watch Greys to see how Ben and Miller get out of this, but thank God they actually finished this plot on this show instead of trying to force me to watch another one. I also learned that apparently Meredith came back from her beach purgatory that the commercials have been going on about, so that's nice I guess? So did the whole arc end up feeling pointless, or was it just cool seeing the millions of people who have died on Greys? 

Maybe Pompeo didn't want to come back to the set unless everyone she came into contact with was wearing PPE or the scenes were shot outdoors.

I find all of the halfway to heaven meeting your loved ones puerile - but then I don't believe in any kind of ridiculous afterlife populated by people who either age or have found a heavenly source for Botox :-)

• Love 1

Soooo... Jack is losing interest now that the crisis is over? Sad. 

Also, they reminded the kid and.. I forget the adult's name... to wear masks at the park, but then Jack was right up close to the injured woman without his own mask on. 

---

It's not that easy to get permission to stay in the country. I know people who were married and still had to leave. 

---

I don't know what to think about Maya and Carina. It seems insane to me that they never had these conversations before.

• Love 1
(edited)

I enjoyed the Ben on the table in surgery while it was fun. But I was impressed how they were able to tie this with the fact that men don't go to the doctors easily and especially if it is a problem with their ...er..."manhood". But what made me tear up is how it included that George Floyd cried for his mother when he knew he was dying. That when you want comfort because you are scared, if you had a good mother, she is the one you want in that time. Now,  I know there are those here who are tired of the preaching. But I am one of those who are tired of seeing, reading, hearing about another Black person killed for no apparent reason. I am sick of it. I am sick that this country continues to add name after name. And if we can drill that into the psyche of this country, I say drill again and again!

Edited by A coin in the hand
typo
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, A coin in the hand said:

But what made me tear up is how it included that George Floyd cried for his mother when he knew he was dying. That when you want comfort because you are scared, if you had a good mother, she is the one you want in that time. Now,  I know there are those here who are tired of the preaching. But I am one of those who are tired of seeing, reading, hearing about another Black person killed for no apparent reason. I am sick of it. I am sick that this country continues to add name after name. And if we can drill that into the psyche of this country, I saw drill again and again!

I have a cynical shriveled heart and I don't remember the last time I cried watching a television episode but that really got to me and moisture leaked.

I don't have any issues with television dealing with important issues especially when they are done well and I think this one was - it didn't use anvils but tied into emotions that almost everyone has and made one consider the horror and the terror.

• Love 2

I hope that things work out with Jack and Inara, she really is the first person Jack has been with who actually wants to be with him and have a real relationship. Unfortunately the fact that their relationship isn't a total mess is making him antsy, he's just so used to chaos in his romances that he doesn't know how to be in something so stable, and that mixed with him still seeing Inara as more sweet mom then sexy girlfriend, caused some real issues that they have hopefully dealt with. I was just thinking, did Jack ever find out who his bio family was? I remember he started looking but I don't think he ever found out.  

Carina and Maya really should have talked about a lot of that, these are not great talks to have as your heading towards the airplane. 

Ben on the table was fun at first and then become really moving at the end. Very well done and emotional. 

• Love 4

I think one reason this show isn't more popular is that I'm sick of crossovers,     I think some who don't want to have a show forced on them, and just don't watch to be contrary. 

I'm sick of people dying, Black, white, adults, and children.    Its so wrong for any parent to have to bury their child.      I don't know how someone who murders someone, and then claims it's justified because they're police, or self-appointed vigilantes, can live with themselves, let alone try to justify what they did to another human being.    

Yes, Carina needs to run. Maya is not the person for a fun loving, passionate Italian. Not that Maya is bad, she just needs to be with someone who understands and can support her anxieties brought on by her abuse. There are so many types of people and while we can love all of them, not all of them are the best people for us to be in relationship with.

• Love 2
(edited)

So after all the history of "Poor Vic's life" it really came down to: Greek Mother family disowned her because they are racial. Dad went to work because he grew up poor, his own father wasn't there for him, so work to make daughter's life better, but let me ignore the fact of the problems she has happened or don't want to deal with his own mother losing her mind. Then after 30 years and a riot, they are: "Burn the fucking place down, it hasn't been worth it, we missed our daughter's life." Too bad the 2008 recession didn't do that first. But you know, "best pirogies in town." 

Edited by readster
missing word.
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Did not care at all about "poor" Vic's story.  A waste of screen time.

They hammered it into our heads for the past three years and this pay off just make you want to go: "Yeah, don't feel sorry for any of them." Her parents were basically: "Our lives growing up sucked and the rest of our families hate us for getting married, but said husband's mother." So what does he do? Dumps their kid on the grandma all the time, because she is retired and has no life. Then as soon as she starts losing her mind it's: "Oh no, this isn't happening, lalala, got to pick up some tomatoes, because I can't deal with this, because my father wasn't around." Yet apparently all the work to keep the restaurant was a lie because they were just trying to make more and more money to get Vic 'a better life', but then they showed all the scholarships and everything, so apparently she has probably very minimal or not college debt (especially since she quit theatre and joined the fire department). Yet, Vic can't get an apartment? Why was she scared and thinking Ripley didn't love her and living with him? 

Her entire story is an example of no exact plan, make it as dramatic as possible and hope the story will write itself and then we get a conclusion and it's all cliche. 

Edited by readster
spelling errors.
  • Love 3

I mean, Vic's parents' story sucks, I guess, but it doesn't excuse the way they treated Vic all these years. So, you have a sob story. That's fine, but what does that have to do with how you treated Vic? Why should Vic just accept that and have the relationship fixed? 

• Love 2

But this whole Vic story still doesn't explain why she can't get a damn apartment of her own.  Vic likes to use her sob story as an excuse to take advantage of other people, including Dean, which is why I can't stand her.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I mean, Vic's parents' story sucks, I guess, but it doesn't excuse the way they treated Vic all these years. So, you have a sob story. That's fine, but what does that have to do with how you treated Vic? Why should Vic just accept that and have the relationship fixed? 

Pretty much followed by: "Well, Vic needs some new shoes for her audition, let's be open on Christmas Day when only 2 people might show up." "Oh, my mother has pretty much lost her mind. Let's spend over $100 baby proofing our two bedroom apartment even though she still can leave the stove burning, but Vic is 17 now, it's all good." "Oh, my mother basically broke into her grand daughter's play, started singing with her and had no idea what was going on? Oh no, we have to get the new orders in for Greek Fest, lalala." Come fucking on!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Vic's home life and backstory is just so weird and needlessly dramatic, so while its nice that she has seemingly made peace with her parents, none of this makes up for how her parents emotionally neglected her for her whole life, including making her be the only caretaker of her dementia addled grandma as a teenager/young adult. It seems so random, in her first backstory episode her parents were just comically terrible and uncaring, but lately they have tried to make them more likable without anything really changing, and now they have secretly been cheering quietly for Vic all along (and they couldn't tell her this?) and are all "burn it all down" about their place of business that they have put their whole lives into for decades? Really? Vic's parents aren't as bad as some parents in this franchise so I can see giving them some redemption, but a lot of this seemed to be happening because the show had this big speech written that they wanted to do about how human lives are worth more than property damage and they needed someone with a store to say it, so it had to be Vic's parents even if it doesn't really fit with what we know about them. If they wanted them to do the big speech, I really wish we had seen more of them reaching out to Vic and making an effort to understand her fears and anxieties. None of this makes up for how badly they have treated her. 

I really hope that Jack doesn't break things off with Inara just because he doesn't know how stability works. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't decide if Jack's a drama freak so he's bored now that things are calm, or if he has a self-esteem problem and can't believe he has any value if he's not being a hero every second. I feel so bad for Inara and the kid, if he was just there to enjoy the ego fluff of saving them, and now he's done. He always seemed to be craving family and stability. It would be a blow for him to discover even that doesn't really work for him, even when he has it.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

in her first backstory episode her parents were just comically terrible and uncaring, but lately they have tried to make them more likable without anything really changing, and now they have secretly been cheering quietly for Vic all along (and they couldn't tell her this?) and are all "burn it all down" about their place of business that they have put their whole lives into for decades? Really? Vic's parents aren't as bad as some parents in this franchise so I can see giving them some redemption, but a lot of this seemed to be happening because the show had this big speech written that they wanted to do about how human lives are worth more than property damage and they needed someone with a store to say it, so it had to be Vic's parents even if it doesn't really fit with what we know about them. If they wanted them to do the big speech, I really wish we had seen more of them reaching out to Vic and making an effort to understand her fears and anxieties. None of this makes up for how badly they have treated her. 

Exactly it, as many pointed out, it was comically dumb, even when we saw things with the grandma in flashbacks. It came more off as her father just didn't care his mother was losing her mind or trying to paint it as "he can't deal with it." Hell, my other mother-in-law is going through this and my wife and I are the one's dealing with it while her sister and brother kind of just skate by making up excuses and my father-in-law doesn't want to deal with him himself. HOWEVER... if my MIL started doing the stuff we saw in the flashbacks with Vic's grandma, she be placed in a home or have someone who isn't their grandchild watching them. My nephew is a certified nurse and he has brought up with me that wishes his parents would start taking things more seriously, but won't and don't want to listen to him. 

You don't build all that crap up and then turn it into the fact they have cheering Vic on all these years. Saving articles, playbills, scholarship letters and Vic had NO IDEA. Plus, Vic was almost killed in a fire that got her director/mentor killed because of a dumb piano. They were: "Oh well, you are alive, we open at 10, have a great day." 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, readster said:

So after all the history of "Poor Vic's life" it really came down to: Greek Mother family disowned her because they are racial. Dad went to work because he grew up poor, his own father wasn't there for him, so work to make daughter's life better, but let me ignore the fact of the problems she has happened or don't want to deal with his own mother losing her mind. Then after 30 years and a riot, they are: "Burn the fucking place down, it hasn't been worth it, we missed our daughter's life." Too bad the 2008 recession didn't do that first. But you know, "best pirogies in town." 

Vic's mother is Polish, hence the pierogis.  The Greek tradition of smashing plates was something that a customer told her about 

• Love 5

I didn't watch past seasons so unfamiliar with Vic's backstory but I was annoyed by the lack of realism here. I feel like they do the public a disservice when they act like a place can be on fire and then about an hour later you can go inside, not choke on smoke and everything is perfectly fine to pick up and touch. They showed Vic lifting a plastic bin that didn't melt. I know not to expect total realism but that was too much for me. You don't just stroll back inside. 

This show continues to have too many overly dramatic speeches. 

• Love 4
On 6/1/2021 at 8:31 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I didn't watch past seasons so unfamiliar with Vic's backstory but I was annoyed by the lack of realism here. I feel like they do the public a disservice when they act like a place can be on fire and then about an hour later you can go inside, not choke on smoke and everything is perfectly fine to pick up and touch. They showed Vic lifting a plastic bin that didn't melt. I know not to expect total realism but that was too much for me. You don't just stroll back inside. 

This show continues to have too many overly dramatic speeches. 

Plus how her dad was just casually just sweeping and going: "Ho Hum... yeah I know this all sucks, but you know what, let's hope we can have curb side in an hour." It was such BS or the fact the back office was just magically left untouched so Vic could have her revelation moment.

• Love 3

I don't know whether Dean should have taken the settlement or not, so I'm not opining on that specifically. But I did resent the assertion that change is abstract. You can't just sue for change, you sue for specific demands. So that seemed like a cop out in the writing. 

I don't like Robert, so I'm not objective about what he did. It seems like a bad idea to go there before they even do an investigation, and basically I"m inclined to side with Andy. But I realize I am not objective about him, so I leave that to future storytelling for adjudication. But for sure I do appreciate that Andy is realizing she got married too fast and for the wrong reasons, and I kind of think the same is true of Maya and Carina, so... I guess we'll eventually see how it all turns out.

I liked Maya telling her father off. 

I am irritated by the triangle around Vic. Why does TV think we want to see this dynamic? I actually like Vic, but I hate the triangle.

I'm handwaving the restaurant being totally restored so fast (or at all), but the show really has been leaning into fantasy lately.

Jack not speaking his mind seems to be his defining characteristic. I'm not saying it's necessarily wrong for Inara to go, but he never gets to finish a thought and it makes him on permanent stall. I kind of thought the way he was looking at Andy meant they are thinking about rekindling that connection again (like they did with Travis and Emmett), but I'm not thinking that's a good idea, either.

I hope Maya fights her demotion. She is entitled to due process, isn't she? Even Robert got a hearing after he stole drugs from the station. I want to see Maya fight and win. 

I guess they backloaded the fires this season. For a while it was hard to remember this was an actual firehouse. But still, the action has stayed more on personal drama than fire and rescue. It always had a lot of the personal stuff,  but I think it used to balance more.

20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I don't like Robert, so I'm not objective about what he did. It seems like a bad idea to go there before they even do an investigation, and basically I"m inclined to side with Andy. But I realize I am not objective about him, so I leave that to future storytelling for adjudication. But for sure I do appreciate that Andy is realizing she got married too fast and for the wrong reasons, and I kind of think the same is true of Maya and Carina, so... I guess we'll eventually see how it all turns out.

I like Robert and I thought what he did was bad. If there had been an investigation and they ruled against Maya, that would be different. He seemed to just trying to climb back up the ladder rather than helping 19. I spent the first half of the episode wondering what he could have done that was so bad, the only thing I could think of was cheating, which seems unlikely. But trying to take over 19 seems worse.

I know there are logistic reasons they couldn't do this, but you'd think a few more Grey's Anatomy would have wanted to go to Karina's wedding. Maya and Karina seemed so happy, it totally sucks that they are about to be interrupted by drama.

Totally random that Vic's father would have invited Ruiz to someone else's wedding, but I guess they needed to set up a love triangle and add tension with Vic and Travis.

• Love 4

I'm glad Inara realized Jack didn't love her, and she told him he basically just wanted a family.   I hate that the writers have him coming off as not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she did him a favor.

Don't care about Maya and Carina but I know their happy story won't last long.

Don't care about the Vic/Dean/other firefighter whose name I can't remember triangle.

I'll handwave the timeframe of the restoration of the restaurant.  

I'd like to see some new characters next season, and get rid of Maya and Carina.  

• Love 1

I liked Sullivan once upon a time. Maybe in season 2 or early season 3? Maybe it was right before Andy and Sullivan got married. But since then, he's been a perpetually shitty husband and now we can also say he's a shitty person too! I'm impressed they really went all in on him being the absolute worst. Because Andy was 100% correct in her calling him out on his bullshit. Not only did he NOT do it to save 19, he made sure he threw Maya under the bus before a real discussion of an investigation was had. He threw his hat in the ring before there was even a ring. And Andy's right; he absolutely caused that. If he had only spent some time, after preaching about having S19's back, to actually HAVE Maya's back instead of saying "nah, she can fend for herself. But I'll make this place to be better!" 

Because this is absolutely a sexist double standard. Maya disobeys a couple of orders for the good of the people of Seattle. Her heart was there and, sure, maybe she needed to have a talking to by the Chief, not have her job taken away from her. But not just that, but Sullivan DOES DRUGS ON THE JOB NOT EVEN A YEAR PRIOR and he's considered an excellent candidate to become Captain again. Seriously, if that doesn't scream double standard, I don't know what does.

So, I truly hope Andy starts the paperwork to divorce his sorry ass. They got married too quickly and they've definitely made it clear why their relationship is already on shaky ground. This should be enough to end their marriage for good.

Maya/Carina's wedding was alright. Very quick, like their engagement, but I guess Andy/Sullivan STILL have them beat for fastest relationship-to-marriage timeline. 

I was really hoping they'd have Vic/Dean have the "we're just friends" speech, without the hookup at the end. Because, my god, I can't take ANOTHER season of Dean pining over Vic, who has shown NO signs of reciprocating any feelings whatsoever (for me, it'll be incredibly unrealistic if he tells her and she has them back). And I like Theo; he's grown on me and Vic/Theo work well for me.

Jack/Inara break up, which is really for the best. 

I guess Maya's mom will be around more. And random ass scene of Travis and his dad, but ok, I guess they're setting up more with his dad next season.

• Love 3

Can someone fill me in on a bit of the wedding that I missed?  The power went out for just a few seconds, but it was enough to kick the DVR off so that it didn't record for a minute or two.  It cut out during a commercial break and picked up again just as Maya was getting upset about not remembering to write vows.  I'm sure I didn't miss much, but I did see Maya's mother.  Did she just pop up in the background and Maya acknowledged that she was there, or was there some kind of explanation?  

15 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Can someone fill me in on a bit of the wedding that I missed?  The power went out for just a few seconds, but it was enough to kick the DVR off so that it didn't record for a minute or two.  It cut out during a commercial break and picked up again just as Maya was getting upset about not remembering to write vows.  I'm sure I didn't miss much, but I did see Maya's mother.  Did she just pop up in the background and Maya acknowledged that she was there, or was there some kind of explanation?  

Not sure how much you missed, but Maya went to her parents house and told them she was bi and getting married, and told her mother she could come live with them so she didn't have to be stuck with her controlling dad. Her father tried to be an ass and Maya just shut him down and walked away.

Then they showed her mom arriving at the wedding and asking if it was okay she came, and Andi told her yes.

• Love 1