Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I pretty much only hanging on for Okieriete Onaodowan, because I saw him in Hamilton years ago. I do not mind the cast so much, but I find Andy so unlikable. I liked Jaina Lee Ortiz in previous roles, but I have grown so tired of Andy.

• Love 3

That’s because the show are so desperate to push her as the central character they’ve forgotten to give the other characters a point of view when they’re in her orbit other then to listen to her whining and prop her. So instead of coming off as the heart of the station like we’re told she is (ha!), she comes off as a self absorbed twat.

ive never heard her be part of a conversation that isn’t All About Her. It’s brutal writing for a lead character.

• Love 8

Andy is without a doubt the wink link among the characters. Pretty much everyone else has grown on me to various extents, but Andy is just so All About Herself, that it makes it hard for me to root for her. She never seems to care about whats going on with any of her friends or co-workers, its always "my childhood home is being sold! my dad is dating! oh my life sucks!" which really arent even problems worth spending a whole episode complaining about. They arent even actual problems, just stuff thats happening! 

Pretty big coincidence that Vic managed to just happen across a car crash, with the wife in labor, in a storm, in the apparently most wood-sy part of the city, but it was pretty suspenseful, the actors playing the husband and wife were good, and I thought Vic handled it pretty well under the circumstances. And with a fever on top of everything else! And while I dont see it ending well at all, I do like Vic/Ripley pretty well. I mean, in any regular universe it would be a total ethical mess, but its pretty standard in the Greys universe, so why not? 

Deans sister is really cool, I hope we see more of her. 

Putting Jack with Maya was the best thing they could have done for his character, they are so much better than Jack/Andy. I mean, Maya actually likes him for starters! And him finding his bio family could be interesting, I always think those kinds of stories are more interesting than romances. I am not looking forward to Andy finding out though and making this into this huge betrayal or something.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Ben was asleep. He didn't hear the phone. He is probably exhausted.

Ok, he was asleep.  But missing those two calls must mean something for a future episode.

• Love 2

Once in a while Andy should be told "No!" and has to live with it. 

The Andy/Ryan/Jenna story is not interesting.

They actually let Kat make a suggestion and the 4 people "in charge" followed it knowing 3 out of the 4 are having issues.

It made sense Kat showed her " Andy side" by wanting Andy to follow her "great" idea and was hesitant to follow her orders to leave the basement. That Andy is a great mentor. Too bad Kat can't get this valuable knowledge at the academy.

There is a black out and those girls are using valuable computer battery power to watch a movie?

Was it confirmed the guy that lit the joint caused the fire or was it the girls with the candles? They dropped this story quick!

Nice of Pruitt to retire and keep important information in his head with no manual around.

Did Montgomery, Vic, and Ben need to watch the constellations too? There are others in the building to tend to or a gas leak/fire.

Sullivan's" transformation" is almost complete. Now you are "friends" with Andy.

Miller didn't catch the vibe between Jack and Maya at his house?

Good job Penny! Just run into a dryer and close the door shut. 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4

I don't watch this show,  but I've seen people asking what the song was at the end of the episode. They have something listed at tunefind, but nobody can find it online. 

11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Once in a while Andy should be told "No!" and has to live with it. 

by wanting Andy to follow her "great" idea and was hesitant to follow her orders to leave the basement. That Andy is a great mentor. Too bad Kat can't get this valuable knowledge at the academy.

Sadly, the show has depicted the acadmey and the people in charge as by the book, screw you, I don't care about you, but you HAVE to save lives and care type of people. Even with Pruitt, someone who was dedicated, made time for family and so forth, never ended up a Section Chief or Section Captain? The only person was Ripley who makes bad decisions under pressure, doesn't think about logic issues like people who are allergic to medication, you shouldn't give them or if there is a building damaged, don't worry about the vehicle that damaged it? Or how people just want to sleep with him because he is "hot" yet, he is a workaholic that worries about his job first and has two failed marriages as a result?

Yeah, great leadership in Seattle there, what no one who is responsible and "great" at their job wants to be in charge? Because they fear a desk? Come on, it's 2019.

• Love 2

It was a bit over the top (like, do firefighters not have other things to do?) but the old astronomer and his daughter did get me to feel some feels. 

As much as they say that Andy is such a great leader and mentor and the heart of the team, she doesent really seem to do much leading, nor does she seem to really hang out with the rest of the team. They all mostly have good chemistry together, support each other, and seem to enjoy being around each other, but Andy just talks about herself, all her plots are about her family, her relationships, her issues, etc. and not even she and Maya really hang out all that much anymore. 

I still like Jack and Maya, I think they have a lot of potential. Still dreading the inevitable drama when Andy finds out though.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

still like Jack and Maya, I think they have a lot of potential. Still dreading the inevitable drama when Andy finds out though.

It’s going to be such bullshit as well given Andy was barely even into Jack while she was with him. 

The chstscters have good chemistry and go well together because theyre lucky enough to be kept out of her orbit. She only seems to have current plotlines with the chief, her dad and Ryan. All of which are dull especially the Ryan crap as she treats him like shit. She only ever speaks to other characters when it’s to rattle on about whatever boy/daddy issue she’s facing in that particular episode. I’m surprised she even knows half their names. She dated Jack for months yet I’d be shocked if she knew anything about his background as I’d say all they ever did was talk about HER.

But yeah.. she’s the heart of the station.

At least with Meredith Grey in early seasons I could see why people levitated towards her. With Andy I’ve no idea how anyone can stand her.

• Love 7

Well, bye-bye Ripley, I guess. He has basically a zero percent chance of surviving after Vic proposing to him. It's a real shame because I actually like the guy, but after his collapse at the end, he's definitely a goner. I knew it earlier in the episode, as well. It just sucks because I actually adore Vic/Ripley and now she's gonna lose him and it's going to be a bad day for Vic. 

So, Andy finds out about Maya/Jack and predictably makes it all about her. 

• Love 3

I don't get Ripley's dilema! Just stay away from 19 and go back to your home office.

That building had no smoke alarms and no one in the area called to report smoke? Good thing "eagle eye" Andy noticed it miles away.

I am sure traffic was so backed up that Andy needed to drive on the sidewalk. People will respect your siren and move out of the way.

Now we are told Andy is a fabulous softball player and we wtinessed her interrupt Sullivan to instruct the team without hesitaion. What can't this "gift to TV" do?

Andy had the expected reaction to Jack and Maya! She acted like a child (slammed the door and pouted). Now she outed them to Sullivan! The woman is a jerk. Now she's humiliated! I can't take it. I guess Pruitt needed her blessing before taking the job too?!

Were Andy and Maya the only people to hear the "possible flashover" over the radio? What was Sullivan and Ripley doing when the call came over the radio?

Becuase Ripley outranks Conlin, he is the only one that can go in and rescue him? Is that right?

Captain Sullivan never met Captain Conlin before today? Seattle FD is that huge? There are no captain meetings?

Sullivan doesn't know what to do and needed Pruitt's exerptise? WTF! 

Were the flowers too heavy and Ripley's clumsy ass fell carrying it? Or did he inhale too much coffee aroma and fainted?  

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Were the flowers too heavy and Ripley's clumsy ass fell carrying it?

I think he died from complications of smoke inhalation, since that obligatory scruffle beard didn't seal the SCBA mask properly. 

You would think that CAPTAIN Sullivan would be qualified to be an incident commander, instead of passing it off to a civilian, even if a retired Captain.  That should be noted in his performance review.

Edited by Dowel Jones
14 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I think he died from complications of smoke inhalation, since that obligatory scruffle beard didn't seal the SCBA mask properly. 

You would think that CAPTAIN Sullivan would be qualified to be an incident commander, instead of passing it off to a civilian, even if a retired Captain.  That should be noted in his performance review.

Plus he was hit with an explosion that knocked him back, of course he had the "chief" helmet on. I just find it more unbelievable that Vic felt that Ripley stood her up and so forth. That was so manufactured drama. Plus, how fucking long was this coffee warehouse clean up going? I do agree, Incident commander would be perfect for Praitt. As many people have said, they have never talked about why he was never promoted past captain on the show. If he was he was "such an expert" it's because he feared a desk job?

• Love 2

We can see from the coming attractions that Ripley is not dead yet, but I do fear they're going to keep this teaser going in the off-season (has this been renewed yet? And is the May 2 cross-event the season finale for both shows???)

I actually love the Vic/Ripley pairing. I think the chemistry is great. I'm finding that with most of the characters, my famed willingness to go into non-snark-zone on Grey's spills over to this show as well. 

But, that said ... here is what puzzles me. Andy is obviously the "main character" around whom the show is built. Is she SUPPOSED to be such an absolutely unlikable character or did the writers/creators just miss the mark with her? She's The Worst. 

Also, hoping Nikki becomes a regular. Then we'd get more Dean too. Dikki. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I actually love the Vic/Ripley pairing.

I do, too, and I hope those crazy kids make it!  I'm surprised, because I was giving the whole thing side-eye when they first hooked up.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

We can see from the coming attractions that Ripley is not dead yet, but I do fear they're going to keep this teaser going in the off-season (has this been renewed yet? And is the May 2 cross-event the season finale for both shows???)

Not renewed and also not the season finale for either show; after the crossover, both shows will have two more episodes. 

Vic/Ripley is one of the very few reasons why I'm still sticking with this show. Since I'm fairly certain he's dying, it doesn't make me hopeful to watch a potential season 3. There just isn't anything else to keep me watching, since I don't like Andy and the only other aspect I like is Jack/Maya, and that's not even enough. Plus, I'm not even entirely invested in those two; I've grown to like Jack as a character and I like Maya enough.

Station 19 doesn't have a lot going for it, unfortunately. The show has only a couple of good things about it so if they want a season 3 to do well, they need to be careful on which characters they decide to get rid of. Since this could be their first big death on the show, it might be one of the worst choices to make. Vic/Ripley seems to be a very popular couple for the show (and I can't disagree; the actors sell their romance extremely well). 

• Love 8

Yes, Andy is the greatest friend who ever friended. Just ask her. OTOH  I have been known to be upset about being kept out of the loop. Not so much by the loop but being kept out of it. If that makes sense. So I expected that but when your bestie apologizes and is told that's not good enough, you are not a very good friend. I'll be a little bummed if Ripley dies but I'm not very attached to any of these characters.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, thewhiteowl said:

OTOH  I have been known to be upset about being kept out of the loop. Not so much by the loop but being kept out of it. If that makes sense.

I get that, too.  It can be a shocking revelation that someone you are very close to is perfectly capable and willing to deceive you for long stretches of time....it's like they're lying to you every time they see you when they're hiding something.  It shakes the foundation of a friendship.  And really, an apology is a good start, but it takes time to rebuild trust.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, izabella said:

I get that, too.  It can be a shocking revelation that someone you are very close to is perfectly capable and willing to deceive you for long stretches of time....it's like they're lying to you every time they see you when they're hiding something.  It shakes the foundation of a friendship.  And really, an apology is a good start, but it takes time to rebuild trust.

So was Maya aware that Jack and Andi were an item while that pair were sneaking around the firehouse in s1?  Or is it only Andi that has to know everything?

So it’s not okay to be dating somebody in your chain of command, but SFD had no problem with Andi working directly under her father?

Cool that Ryan was standing up for Pruitt, but it doesn’t matter how much experience the guy has in emergency situations, what matters is whether he’s fit to do the job that day. 

I really hope that Ripley’s only mostly dead, even if that means I’ll have to watch an episode of Grey’s to find out if he makes it 

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

Something about the guy who plays Ripley, he just doesn't look well.  I always thought he was too old and craggy-looking for Vic, but hey, true love and all that..... 

This is him on McLeod's daughters. That's when I fell in love with him. He can get as craggy as he wants. 

th (12).jpeg

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Reality police said:

This is him on McLeod's daughters. That's when I fell in love with him. He can get as craggy as he wants. 

th (12).jpeg

I never heard of the show, but he looks much younger in that picture.  Now, he just looks tired and unwell.   

1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I never heard of the show, but he looks much younger in that picture.  Now, he just looks tired and unwell.   

It's an Australian show from the early 2000s. He was also on Mistresses.  He does look craggy now but I have realized something about myself, I like rough and not too pretty. I hope he stays. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Reality police said:

It's an Australian show from the early 2000s. He was also on Mistresses.  He does look craggy now but I have realized something about myself, I like rough and not too pretty. I hope he stays. 

I like 'em kinda rugged-looking, but he's just not my type. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

So was Maya aware that Jack and Andi were an item while that pair were sneaking around the firehouse in s1?  Or is it only Andi that has to know everything?

I don't think she knew, because when they made that announcement to the whole crew, everyone was upset. And that must have been longer than a few weeks, since didn't Jack propose? Or was Maya the one person that knew?

However, I will say that telling your friend you are dating someone is not at the same level as telling your friend you are dating her ex. If you are dating your friend's ex it seems fair to run it by him/her. They couldn't have made it more obvious that Andi was going to walk in on them though.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Something about the guy who plays Ripley, he just doesn't look well.  I always thought he was too old and craggy-looking for Vic, but hey, true love and all that..... 

I know what you mean.  I previously knew of Brett Tucker from Mistresses, where I thought he was hot.  He's only in his mid-40s.  Maybe he's going through something in his personal life. Maybe he's a smoker.  He's the one actor I have my doubts about carrying the firefighter equipment that the cast has to haul around. He and Boris Kodjoe are the same age, yet Tucker looks a good 10 years older than Kodjoe. 

That said, the Vic/Ripley pairing is the only one to date I've seen where the actors have romantic chemistry.  I think the actor playing Jack is pretty one-note, and doesn't have chemistry with anyone.  The Maya actress is giving all she's got to sell it, and Grey Damon is just there with the same facial expression in 90% of his scenes. The other 10% is when he's annoyed/angry.  I think Bishop can do a LOT better. When the inevitable Sullivan/Andy pairing happens, not sure I'll buy that either.  

I think it's reasonable for Andy to be shaken by the Maya/Jack relationship as she was blindsided, but of course, she takes it to the extreme.  The Maya/Andy friendship has never made sense to me, other than the writers' room deciding it. Maya gets nothing out of it. 

• Love 3

I mean, I can get why Andy is upset about Maya/Jack and finding out the way she did and feeling blindsided...but she just takes it to such a ridiculous degree. She just comes across as so petty and immature, pouting around and being needlessly mean, even while at work. It probably doesent help that I just dont like Andy that much, and when Andy was kind of with Jack, she acted like she hardly even liked him, and her relationship with Maya is basically "Maya, listen to my problems!!!" so its hard to really feel her betrayal. 

Vic and Ripley actually have chemistry and something of an interesting plot going on, so of course he had to collapse at the most dramatic and heartbreaking time. Its just the rules. Never the less, I hope he gets better because I actually LIKE then!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7
On 4/19/2019 at 6:40 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I understand they needed to make Pruitt look important in front of the disrespectful EMT, but to embarrass Sullivan in the process was unnecessary. 

If Ripley is out of the picture and the other captain was injured, who would be the next person to note it in his perfromance review?

• Love 1

I now think Ripley doesn't watch This is Us and didn't realize you can still die many hours after you've been in a fire. (But I hope he's not dead because it's the only plot I even hate-watch for.)

• Love 3

Finally got caught up...

Add me to the Vic and Ripley train, I like them.

I also like Dean and Travis.

Sullivan is kind of growing on me.

Andy can go jump in a lake, although I'm afraid the show is going to put her and Sullivan together.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, anna0852 said:

Damn it!!!!!

Damn it to effing Hell!

The one couple with chemistry they kill off! I'm pissed, why couldn't Ripley take some of that magical tea that 911 and all the Chicago shows have?

• Love 11

Shondaland still resorting to ridiculous shock deaths to up the ratings and the drama. It’s pathetic, really.

This show is most times just “on” as the background noise between Greys and For the People. I barely look at the screen but always happened to pay attention when Victoria and Ripley were on. I even considered going back and binging the season just to get a full grasp of their story. They were the only thing that could get me to seriously care about this show. Oh well.

• Love 4

I hate crossovers when I never watch the other show. 

Gee! They were ramping up the Vic/Ripley lovefest to payoff with the tears/sadness at the end. They even threw in the free eggs for getting busy in the parking lot to show this relationship is no joke!

Of course Andy lays claim to being Ripley's family too!

Was Vic supposed to be walking in shame passing all the fire fighters?

See ya Ripley! Next time wear proper protection. His sister should have been by his side too.

I wonder if coffee sales will drop after this episode.

I don't even watch this show but it was on and I didn't change the station fast enough after Grey's, plus the crossover - so with the way Victoria (?) had her hand strategically splayed across her stomach when she and everyone else were in the firetruck after her boyfriend died, who here thinks she's pregnant?

• Love 7
(edited)

I won't be suprised in the least if Vic is pregnant. 

I'm truly ticked about this. I was really enjoying Vic and Ripley together. They had fantastic chemistry and I wanted to see what would happen. 

Liked the callback of Andy taking Vic to the screaming closet, the way Meredith did for her in the pilot.  Andy was a good friend tonight. When they were looking for Ripley she knew immediately to locate Vic and they would find him. And at the end she was the first one to climb up the fire engine to sit with Vic. She can be really annoying sometimes but tonight Andy was a good friend. I also liked that she was the one to stop and comfort Sullivan as well. I'm enjoying watching Andy and Sullivan as friends.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 10

I can't really begin to give a shit about any of this. This relationship is too short and I don't know these characters enough to care in the way they want me to. I don't hate the pairing or anything. I thought they had good chemistry. But, alas, either of them dying means nothing to me. 

• Love 2

Ok, here's my rant.  With all due respect to firefighters,  the dangers they face together, I can see how they would regard themselves as "family."  I really do.  However, I took issue with how the firefighters acted who were there for Ripley in that hospital.  They basically bullied the doctors and his sister with this "we're family" bullcrap.  In particular, they showed no respect to the sister until much later in the show.  She is family; not them.   She was already understandably stressed, then she had to deal with all of them.  I was glad, though, that she realized that Vic and Ripley were a couple and were going to get married, and so she wanted Vic to see him one last time.

I don't know how firefighters (and police?) act in real life if one of theirs is in the hospital, but how they acted last night really pissed me off.

• Love 3

Well, I didn't watch either Greys or S19 last night because I knew what was coming. I did like Vic and Ripley together; they were really my number one reason for pushing myself to watch this show. I fell behind on S19 earlier this season to the point where I had to binge watch six episodes during the break to catch up. They were my reason for actively tuning in every week since, so knowing that Ripley's gone? It does give me less motivation to watch if there's a third season. I don't like Andy, so her and Sullivan's long burning romance doesn't interest me. I like Jack (after disliking him last season) but I'm not actually invested in Jack/Maya. I was at first, but I think the novelty wore off a couple of episodes ago. I like Dean and I like Travis but their stories aren't really interesting me right now. And I really couldn't care less about Pruitt or Ryan. 

So yeah, I know there are two episodes left and I'll probably watch this episode at some point this weekend, but....this has been a mediocre show so I'll have no issues with letting it go should the show be renewed for a third season. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, here's my rant.  With all due respect to firefighters,  the dangers they face together, I can see how they would regard themselves as "family."  I really do.  However, I took issue with how the firefighters acted who were there for Ripley in that hospital.  They basically bullied the doctors and his sister with this "we're family" bullcrap.  In particular, they showed no respect to the sister until much later in the show.  She is family; not them.   She was already understandably stressed, then she had to deal with all of them.  I was glad, though, that she realized that Vic and Ripley were a couple and were going to get married, and so she wanted Vic to see him one last time.

I don't know how firefighters (and police?) act in real life if one of theirs is in the hospital, but how they acted last night really pissed me off.

What bugs me more is that the only two people this whole family spiel would really relate to is Sullivan, who was Ripley's friend, and Vic. Everyone else didn't give a shit about Ripley at all. He was their boss who happened to hang around their firehouse a lot.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What bugs me more is that the only two people this whole family spiel would really relate to is Sullivan, who was Ripley's friend, and Vic. Everyone else didn't give a shit about Ripley at all. He was their boss who happened to hang around their firehouse a lot.

Yeah, that too.  I don't recall seeing any of them bonding with Ripley, other than Vic and Sullivan.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

They basically bullied the doctors and his sister with this "we're family" bullcrap. 

No, that would never happen in real life.  I have been through a situation much like that, and all us off duty firefighters gathered quietly in the waiting room.  No bullying going on, because we respect MDs, RNs, etc., just as much as they respect us.  Even accepting Station 19 as a cheesy nighttime soap opera set in a fire station, sometimes the antics are just too much.  Generally I just blank out on the episode as soon as it ends.  I'll finish out the season, but it's a beached whale as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 4

Funny how tv writers can manage to write a charming, and even compelling, love relationship, but we get to see it develop mostly in flashbacks on the episode where one of them dies.  Every other relationship with characters staying on the show is always filled with angst and drama instead even though it is clearly possible to write a good relationship.  Why can't we have nice things?!

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, izabella said:

Funny how tv writers can manage to write a charming, and even compelling, love relationship, but we get to see it develop mostly in flashbacks on the episode where one of them dies.  Every other relationship with characters staying on the show is always filled with angst and drama instead even though it is clearly possible to write a good relationship.  Why can't we have nice things?!

It's hilarious, because I usually loathe love stories like Vic/Ripley but this time, I actually really liked the couple. Again, there's not much else to like about the show. The only other storyline I actively liked and kept me watching for a bit was Jack's PTSD stuff....but mostly because I thought it was going to develop into a possible bipolar disorder storyline, and I'm a sucker for personal storylines like that. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

No, that would never happen in real life.  I have been through a situation much like that, and all us off duty firefighters gathered quietly in the waiting room.  No bullying going on, because we respect MDs, RNs, etc., just as much as they respect us.  Even accepting Station 19 as a cheesy nighttime soap opera set in a fire station, sometimes the antics are just too much.  Generally I just blank out on the episode as soon as it ends.  I'll finish out the season, but it's a beached whale as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your input.  As I said earlier, I meant no disrespect to real firefighters, so I'm happy to know that this doesn't happen in real life.  I don't know if the writers have ever done something like that in the other shows like Chicago Fire and 9-1-1, but I do think in this instance they did a disservice to firefighters by showing them in this light.  But on the other hand, it's just a show. *sigh* 

(edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 10:48 PM, Reality police said:

I know I will get ridiculed but I love Ripley and Vic. I fell in love with Brett Tucker on McLeod's Daughters ages ago. I think she is cute and funny as Hell. Ripley needs that. Wish their romance was under better conditions. 

I don't think Pruit went to Hawaii, I think they are in a themed bar. We'll see next week! 

Jack and Maya, jury still out. 

I like Dean's sister, she keeps him off balance. I like it. 

Overall pretty good episode. 

th (12).jpeg

I loved them too. I am tearing up (while watching at work) about him dying.

image.png

image.png

Edited by atiyah9369
  • Love 4