Type keyword(s) to search

Stargate SG-1 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Raja said:

I think that this is the first time that I have seen S6E8 The Other Guys.  With Drs. Felger and Coombs it was up there with Wormhole Extreme. I would like to think it did happen even as Major Carter moved in to Felger for the thankyou  kiss.

I too enjoy the lighter episodes, but not the fantasy kiss. Ew.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I too enjoy the lighter episodes, but not the fantasy kiss. Ew.

I went to a couple of podcasts on the episode and both consider The Other Guys canon, if told by Dr Felger until the kiss which was his fantasy. I guess a trip to gate world to see how the hardcore fan sees the episode is in order.

Coming on after a depressing look at Jonas' home heading towards a doomsday scenario made for a good balancing episode 

• Love 1

I hold an unfashionable fondness for S6, despite Jonas aka "Tintin." You have several good episodes ahead of you (and lots of Janet), including The Changeling, which is in my personal pantheon of great SG-1 installments. It's the only dream episode I've seen which actually felt the way a dream does, complete with the disorientation and strange transitions. Is SG-1 art? At its best, IMO, yes.

• Love 1

Well, I've never been all that fashionable myself, so I agree. I once made a point of watching only season 6 and it have more good than bad and some really good episodes.

Cure, Natural Selection, Changeling, Paradise Lost, Forsaken, Abyss, and Full Circle are among the very best Stargate SG-1 has to offer.

I can't stand The Other Guys. I abhor these stuck-in-teenage-maturity male characters. Absolutely despise them.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Idiotboy said:

I hold an unfashionable fondness for S6, despite Jonas aka "Tintin." You have several good episodes ahead of you (and lots of Janet), including The Changeling, which is in my personal pantheon of great SG-1 installments. It's the only dream episode I've seen which actually felt the way a dream does, complete with the disorientation and strange transitions. Is SG-1 art? At its best, IMO, yes.

The Changeling is right up there with my favourite episodes. So much Daniel/Teal'c goodness!

11 hours ago, supposebly said:

I can't stand The Other Guys. I abhor these stuck-in-teenage-maturity male characters. Absolutely despise them.

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

• Love 1

This is cool. An astrophysicist, Dr Becky Smethurst, watched an ep of SG1, A Matter of Time, and shared her thoughts on the black hole physics. Not terrible, but not entirely great either. But she hasn't watched any more of that. She gets a couple of show things wrong. Sometimes you just can't have everything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Got this in my email. I'm not planning to go but if anyone is interested I can give you my link.

On Saturday 11th September at 1 pm, PT / 9 pm GMT join Stargate series co-creator Brad Wright, A.I. Lead Advocate at Google, Laurence Moroney, and Stargate Atlantis star and tech evangelist David Hewlett for a live video discussion and audience Q&A session.

Witness the first experiment to put A.I.-generated lines into the mouth of the real Rodney McKay, David Hewlett. Plus, you’ll find out the latest on our innovative project to create a new Stargate script written by artificial intelligence, learn about some of the amazing breakthroughs we’ve made in A.I..

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, marina to said:

Witness the first experiment to put A.I.-generated lines into the mouth of the real Rodney McKay, David Hewlett. Plus, you’ll find out the latest on our innovative project to create a new Stargate script written by artificial intelligence, learn about some of the amazing breakthroughs we’ve made in A.I..

I don't need to participate, but I think it's really cool that they're working on stuff like this that I've been imagining for a long time. So, thanks for sharing.

• Love 1

Did Thomasina Gibson write an Illustrated Companion for S5/S6? I've got her books for S1/S2 and S7/8 and S9, and would like to close the circle, if possible. I've ransacked Amazon and eBay in vain.

ETA: She did. AbeBooks.com is one's best resource for such tomes. Gibson wrote companions right through S10 ... although I won't be adding the latter as S10 is the season I would prefer to forget.

FanX Day One: So sign of Colin Cunningham yet, marina to but Sam Jones/Aris Boch was there and didn't draw flies. Karma.

Edited by Idiotboy
  • Love 1

Hey, any other Discworld fans here? I don't know what inspired it, but I just had a flash of Daniel meeting Death. I imagine Death's reaction would be one of OH. YOU AGAIN. And Daniel would say, "Yeah, sorry about that. Could you please point the way out?"

• LOL 3

Although I haven't been able to get a good Colin Cunningham photo yet, marina to, he's arrived at FanX with his monodrama Centigrade, for which Martin Wood provided technical advice. Cunningham is inspiring, upbeat and charming ... yet another instance of an SG-1 audience favorite turning out to be even nicer in person than you dared hope (Judge, Tapping, Rothery, Wood, etc.). Incidentally, Centigrade was caught up in the same MGM bankruptcy that put Brad Wright's continuation of SG-1 onto a distant back burner.

• Love 2

Halfway through season 7 now, Jonas Quinn returns with a very Tok'ra acting Goa'uld very much into him. But nothing can match the seduction that Nirrti tried on him earlier. She might have had him if she didn't tell Jonas that she would take him as a host later.

Edited by Raja
Why would they place "N" next to "M" on a keyboard?
  • Love 1

General Hammond of Texas taking Prometheus on her run against Anubis was a sight. Master Bra'tac agrees. I had seen the F-302  squadron in action before, maybe in previously clips or with Colonel Mitchell's origin story but never that part. Between Lost City and Heroes I guess if they were going out they were going out "BIGGER" as they said in Wormhole extreme.

I don't understand how Major Carter, Dr. Jackson and Teal'c held off 4 Kull warriors in order for Colonel O'Neill to get the weapons into the battle.

• Love 1

Now comes news that all Stargates will be withdrawn from streaming services by the end of November. I guess I will need a couple of binges if I am to get through the Ori stories by then.

Early in season 8 now. I guess all efforts are now going into Atlantis. The transition doesn't seem as smooth as when Star Trek DS9 went into its best when many Trek hands went over to Voyager. Six episodes in and besides naming Ba'al  with General O'Neill doing West Wing walks the rest of the team seem to be on solo missions with no seasonal arc. I hope the balance comes back when Colonel Mitchell arrives.

Early in season 8 now. I guess all efforts are now going into Atlantis. The transition doesn't seem as smooth as when Star Trek DS9 went into its best when many Trek hands went over to Voyager. Six episodes in and besides naming Ba'al  with General O'Neill doing West Wing walks the rest of the team seem to be on solo missions with no seasonal arc.

Boy are you on the money (pardon the pun). Talk about 'playing out the string'! Not only are the scripts—including the infamous P.U.—lacking but the budget looks severely depleted. S8 basically vamps for time until Moebius looms over the horizon. The good writing was happening on Atlantis and probably the only reason S8 got made was that RDA didn't want to leave all the cast and crew in the lurch by retiring. Only when S9 was a firm possibility did SciFi back down from its long held position of 'no Jack, no show.'

• Love 2

Speaking of RDA, he did an recorded interview with Brad Wright for the Companion. They spend the first half talking about kids and dogs, but then RDA answered a few fan questions and things got interesting. He enjoyed it so much that he's doing another session, this time live, on February 12th. It's worth getting the subscription for it. They also announced that they've done some tweaks to the AI and it's going to write more scripts. That will be recorded later this year.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:58 AM, Idiotboy said:

Boy are you on the money (pardon the pun). Talk about 'playing out the string'! Not only are the scripts—including the infamous P.U.—lacking but the budget looks severely depleted. S8 basically vamps for time until Moebius looms over the horizon. The good writing was happening on Atlantis and probably the only reason S8 got made was that RDA didn't want to leave all the cast and crew in the lurch by retiring. Only when S9 was a firm possibility did SciFi back down from its long held position of 'no Jack, no show.'

S8 did give us a couple of good things. Daniel in a suit and lots of quality Teal'c time with Sam and Daniel. That disappeared in S9 & 10.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 1

I like season 8 a lot, actually. Mostly for the episode where Jack almost resigns. It was nicely framed with the letter to General Hammond, the fake assistant, and the visuals of the plant overgrowing everything and Jack literally and metaphorically trying to find his way through while learning to deal with the fact that he has to sit at home while his team is out there. 

• Love 1

I just got finished with the live feed. It was freewheeling and fun. Technical difficulties made RDA a half-hour late but surprise guest Amanda Tapping pinch-hit brilliantly, and 'Big Boy' (as Dan Shea refers to him) was very candid and casual once he was able to join. It will be posted for free on YouTube, at a time unspecified ... perhaps after some editing is done.

Brad Wright is sounding very pessimistic about the SG-1 reboot—not a good sign.

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Idiotboy said:

You bet, marina to! Now I am crushed to learn that Amanda and Teryl will be appearing in Chicago while I'm up in Michigan seeing my wife's new grandson. Life is so unfair!

Oh no! That really does suck. Wish there was something I could do.

My SO and I have been rewatching the entire series on Netflix since October. We’re finally in the middle of season 9. I watched SG-1 on syndication and then watched the first-run episodes on SciFi for seasons 7-9. I was a huge fan until around that time, then fandom kinda got to me, and then college life got to me. I don’t think I watched 10, and I never watched the movies. (...but then I caught SGA's season 4 finale after work and got hooked into Atlantis for season 5...weird how that worked) Overall, I gotta say that I’m enjoying season 9 way more than now than I originally did. Just some random thoughts as I've watched...

Despite appreciating the military hierarchy on SG-1, it’s refreshing to see the team interact as equals after all their experiences and essentially achieving legendary status. I’m really enjoying Daniel’s continued post-ascension development and confidence, and I like him a lot more without his weird dynamic with Jack. Beyond that, I remember questioning why Carter didn’t keep command of SG-1 but ultimately think Mitchell was the right choice. He pushed the show forward without busting up SG-1’s dynamics and does a good job of being “in command” without really having Jack-like command. Season 8 wasn’t great for Carter, in that respect, and it seemed like she was pulled apart by being the go-to save-the-day tech expert while also trying to command the team. The team needs a Jack - and Mitchell actually brings enthusiasm and voiced respect for the entire team.

With that said, and this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I wish Jack/RDA had left the show earlier. He was an ass in season 5, started to get dumbed down in season 6, and was completely checked out for seasons 7-8. In retrospect, I wish he would have died in “Heroes” (and possibly been accidentally brought back through the events of “Moebius”), as I think his stint as general was embarrassing. I loved him in the earlier seasons, but RDA was so very clearly done after a certain point. The show didn't need Jack.

With all that said, a part of me still thinks that SG-1 should have ended after season 8 and rebooted as Stargate Command for what became seasons 9+, with Landry, Mitchell, Vala, and Lam, and maybe Daniel as a co-lead with Teal’c and Sam as guest stars or recurring characters. And I wonder what would have happened to the franchise, had that happened plus keeping Atlantis on the air for season 6. I can’t think of another franchise that was going so strongly, only to suddenly fizzle out and drop dead. (With the talk of reboots, I have serious doubts that the original magic could be recaptured, especially if Mullie/Malozzi/Kindler are anywhere near it...)

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

. . . I remember questioning why Carter didn’t keep command of SG-1 but ultimately think Mitchell was the right choice. . . .

I believe in an alternate universe Carter did become General
–—a universe without network execs or ratings or sponsors.

That said, I thought Ben Browder as Colonel Cameron Mitchell was genius casting. Browder really embodied the spirit and personality and levity that was Jack before Richard Dean Anderson's chronic pain made Jack a shadow of the character.

I too have a lot of chronic pain that has gotten worse over the years, so I in no way fault RDA for what happened to his portrayal of O'Neill. He probably wanted to leave sooner.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, blueray said:

I also like Ben Bowder though he basically plays the same character as Farscape ;).

Sam wasn't in command because she left to do another project then came back.

That and the plot gave the Medal of Honor recipient Colonel Mitchell a "golden ticket" for his next assignment after recovering from his combat wounds.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2022 at 10:03 PM, blueray said:

Sam wasn't in command because she left to do another project then came back.

Right, but that's not how it works. It made zero sense for two lieutenant colonels to serve together on the same team, and it made zero sense for Sam’s career trajectory to step down from a command post at R&D so she could serve under Mitchell's command of SG-1. (Meanwhile, Lt. Col. Sheppard is commanding the entire military contingent of a FOB in a multi-front war with two doomsday enemies a few hundred million lightyears away.) The writers deliberately chose to not have Sam keep command of SG-1, and that’s what I always wondered about.

All in all, even going back to her promotion to major in season 3 and not getting her own team (despite many other majors leading their own teams), Sam should have originated as an NCO, not a command-track officer, particularly seeing as how she never appeared to have a command (of anyone except civilians) until she made full bird colonel. 😅 And I like Sam. But, despite the constant glorification of her in writing, she was never well-served in practice.

Edited by dovegrey
grammar and missing words oh my
  • Love 1

I believe in an alternate universe Carter did become General
–—a universe without network execs or ratings or sponsors.

The same AU in which Sam & Janet are the couple they should be.

As for the 'demotion' of Sam in S9, this was much chewed over on TWOP and we came to the conclusion that certain regalia on Mitchell's uniform showed him to be senior in his rank. Also, he had 'positional authority' by dint of Sam's having gone off to Area 51. Or so I recall.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Idiotboy said:

As for the 'demotion' of Sam in S9, this was much chewed over on TWOP and we came to the conclusion that certain regalia on Mitchell's uniform showed him to be senior in his rank. Also, he had 'positional authority' by dint of Sam's having gone off to Area 51. Or so I recall.

Ah yes. Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar.
But looking back now, it seems like the objective was to replace RDA's O'Neill in a manner reminiscent of the second Darrin of Bewitched.
That is, TPTB figured they would keep more viewers if they made as little change as possible. 

I'd be curious to see another Real Life alternate universe in which when RDA began having Real Life health issues, they had O'Neill also have health issues (some alien parasite issue, perhaps) which caused Sam to become at least temporary team leader. 
They could have at least tried to see if it worked, and if not, go with the O'Neill semi-clone of Ben Browder as Colonel Cameron Mitchell
--which, again, I do think worked well.  
Or, if Sam as leader worked, Mitchell could have been just a new O'Neill-ish member of her team.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

It is pretty common these days for a commander and a second in command to be the same rank/pay grade. Especially in naval and aerial forces. Now in peace time without combat losses in the ground forces there are extra Captains and Lieutenant Colonels around so say a LT company commander in a non deployed unit won't normally command a LT platoon leader in the ground forces but just be holding the position until a Captain getting his shot at a command position arrives.

I do remember reading military science fiction with concepts like there is only one Captain on a ship so Marine force Captains are called Major while aboard. While today on a USN carrier, even without a Marine officer onboard, The commander, XO, Chief Engineer in the chain of command are normally O6 Captains and that does not include those outside of that immediate chain the air wing commander and Captains on an Admiral's staff

48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or, if Sam as leader worked, Mitchell could have been just a new O'Neill-ish member of her team.

This. Since Mitchell was so desperate to work with *the* SG-1 and groveled for them to abandon their next big projects, he should have deferred command to Sam and enjoyed learning the job. And I never understood why they didn’t build on the season 5 arc of Sam mentoring new recruits with her mentoring a new SG-1 recruit in season 8. The writers didn’t even try to make it work.

I’m at the point in season 9 where I remember why I stopped watching. The fanboy self-insertion writing of Mitchell is becoming insufferable (…single-handedly storming a mothership to save Teal’c while Sam nags… no one knowing if Sam or Mitchell are in charge to the point that the confusion of having two lt colonels with the newbie in charge over the seasoned SME getting the Prometheus destroyed with no professional fall out…)

Still love the show but the internal inconsistencies and writing choices dragged it down for me. 

• Love 2

Ah yes, Ethon. One of my un-favorite episodes (save for Daniel's "I won't stop 'til I'm dead. And maybe not even then."). THREE colonels bicker about zapping the latest Death Star while it fires up to blow the Prometheus to smithereens, squandering their tactical advantage. The Prometheus was always what sailors would call a 'Jonah.' Guess she had it coming.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2022 at 8:01 PM, dovegrey said:

The writers deliberately chose to not have Sam keep command of SG-1, and that’s what I always wondered about.

The real reason is that Amanda Tapping had a baby and was not going to be in the show for a few episodes. Now they could (and probably should have) kept her in charge of Sg-1 just be off for some reason. But they wanted to have Mitchell reunite the team, which wouldn't work if her, Daniel & Teal'c didn't move on to different things. That being said they should have had her retake "command" when choosing to return. They do after a few years promote her to lead Atlantis for a year then her own ship. 

Edited by blueray
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Considering how much antipathy was directed toward Carter back in the good old days when the show was 'live,' I'm pleased by her enduring--even increasing--popularity. There's a Stargate convention coming up in Chicago this summer, and the top autograph and photo-op prices are commanded by Amanda Tapping. And if you ever get a chance to meet her, don't miss it. She's one of the kindest people God ever created.

P.S.: The Amazon/M-G-M merger closed, improving the chances for new Stargate.

Edited by Idiotboy
Breaking news
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Wright's more than hinted. And he let Joe Mallozzi post the title page on Twitter. But until Wright channels St. George and says, "SG-1 you have a go," I won't believe there's a new series on the way.

On a tangentially related note, I was transferring a 1990 Houston Grand Opera Madama Butterfly broadcast from tape to CD when, at the tail end, I ran across a Mercedes-Benz radio ad featuring a suspiciously sultry and familiar female voice. It took me a while to place it as ... our beloved Teryl Rothery. How nice to have a bit of the Little Doc fall into your day totally unexpectedly.

Edited to add some serious Teryliciousness: 

Edited by Idiotboy
  • Love 2

The Companion has put all the Stargate regulars and recurring characters through the Briggs-Meyers personality test and the results may interest you. It's Classic Stargate (S1-8), not Stargate Lite (S9-10) so no Mitchell, Vala, Landry or RoboDoc. 

https://www.thecompanion.app/2022/04/21/stargate-personality/

Best line: "Janet, you were too good for this universe and we never deserved you. Rest in peace."

Also, as we used to say on TWOP: "Stargate: It's All About the Hair." https://www.thecompanion.app/2022/03/15/stargate-9/

Edited by Idiotboy
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2022 at 12:46 PM, Idiotboy said:

The Companion has put all the Stargate regulars and recurring characters through the Briggs-Meyers personality test and the results may interest you. It's Classic Stargate (S1-8), not Stargate Lite (S9-10) so no Mitchell, Vala, Landry or RoboDoc. 

https://www.thecompanion.app/2022/04/21/stargate-personality/

I'm the same type as Oma! 🤣

And it is all about the hair.

Assuming you saw this, @Idiotboy?

https://www.thecompanion.app/2022/03/23/stargate-janets-death/

Edited by marina to