Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, libgirl2 said:

Apparently she made the greatest chocolate cake in the history of the world.

I would love to have a really good chocolate cake. I’ve had good cake with sickly sweet icing, or great icing on dense chewy cake. I just want a fluffy chocolate cake with creamy icing that isn’t too sweet. So I’d love to have Jaleesa’s cake; it looked fab.

I don’t hate Jaleesa as much as most here, but her cheesecake last week was terrible, and her decorating on the chocolate cake this week was amateur. 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:26 PM, KLovestoShop said:

As far as the comment that Romy ruined his tart with the broken heart, that is totally bogus.

Because we know that if he had presented the tart as is, he would have been criticized for not decorating enough or not looking “springy” enough. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Cetacean said:

in this volatile world I have serious concerns that Jaleesa's business might be a target for those who thought she should not have won.  I don't know where her store is but I do hope nothing untoward happens to it or she is harassed.  Sadly, this kind of thing is all too common.

Let’s be realistic. This is a baking competition on a cable show. What is the viewership - a couple million? Very low odds that someone actually lives near Jaleesa’s bakery and be so incensed by the outcome of a baking show that they would do something violent. 

I think most viewers like Jaleesa well enough, just didn’t think she earned the win.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Adam and Jody talked about their families on the Holiday Baking Championship so it wasn't done for sympathy.

I remember they did. They always do to some extent on these shows. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I would love to have a really good chocolate cake. I’ve had good cake with sickly sweet icing, or great icing on dense chewy cake. I just want a fluffy chocolate cake with creamy icing that isn’t too sweet. So I’d love to have Jaleesa’s cake; it looked fab.

I don’t hate Jaleesa as much as most here, but her cheesecake last week was terrible, and her decorating on the chocolate cake this week was amateur. 

Because we know that if he had presented the tart as is, he would have been criticized for not decorating enough or not looking “springy” enough. 

Let’s be realistic. This is a baking competition on a cable show. What is the viewership - a couple million? Very low odds that someone actually lives near Jaleesa’s bakery and be so incensed by the outcome of a baking show that they would do something violent. 

I think most viewers like Jaleesa well enough, just didn’t think she earned the win.

I am surprised they would even mention spring considering it wasn't much a part of this whole competition. 

• Love 6

I don’t have anything against sprinkles, I like adding them sometimes. I think the biggest travesty of the season was the cookie salad. Ugh, just no.

Don’t call something a salad just because it has a bunch of stuff mixed together in a bowl. Apparently there’s also a popcorn salad. Again, no. Just stop, America. Call it a snack bowl or a treat or a dessert or whatever, but stop saying salad.

• Love 3
(edited)

P

I do not think that race of sexual orientation was the reason people stood oe were eliminated, it was more about who had more drama or more of a story .

Jaleesa seems like a very nice , likable person and it’s not her fault she had an anxiety attack .  It is the fault of the producers and judges who obviously decided her story was the best so they kept her when she should have been eliminated and gave her a win she didn’t deserve .

The producers also did not have to allow Molly’s embarrassing  behavior or challenge ideas. I am sure all of the stupid ideas were discussed before she announced them .  

Besides Molly ruining this show with her infantile personality and challenges . There is now a perception that it was fixed and unfair and I have to agree on both counts .

Why would you tell someone they were in the finale only to do a surprise elimination? Also Jaleesa clearly didn’t follow directions on the preheat , but Romy and Denis were in the bottom?
Also, as much as I felt bad about Carolyn , she should not have been brought back , it was not fair to Justin   Diego or Tom.  If they wanted to bring her back because Molly interfered with her baking during w competition and she was obviously flustered for the rest of the show , they should have let all four bakers compete with the final cakes .

But it sure seems like they knew Romy would beat them so they made some ridiculous sprinkle challenge .

Molly  was not only a pain while they baked,immature and obviously a pathetic excuse for a baker , but she seems to be sadistic with her ridiculous behavior , like a child sabotaging bakers who wouldn’t humor her childish need to be friends “ while they  baked .

The looks on Denis and Romy’s faces when smiley Molly delighted  in telling them they really weren’t in the finale and they had to do her stupid sprinkle challenge,  said it all! 
They both looked disgusted and angry .

On Instagram it’s obvious that both Denis and Romy  were disgusted. Denis said this when asked if he wished he had left like Romy:

“great question, yes, i wish i did, but i didn't have a guts to, and if you ask me, @romuald.guiot didn't need this platform because he's stupid talented as everyone saw.
he's going places regardless of the outcome. for me, w a roller coaster of a journey and still have so much to learn and i didn't want all of that to be for nothing. So if i had to throw damn sprinkles in something to win , then it

I really also lost a lot of respect for all of the judges who I previously liked since it was obviously they were just playing along with some reality show ending and being totally unfair to the contestants .

7 minutes ago, marmalade said:

7 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 13

You know, I have severe anxiety and would never enter a competition in the first place, but if I did and I had an episode during filming, I definitely would not want it aired on tv. That would just cause more anxiety every time I thought about thousands of people witnessing my breakdown. 

I know it’s supposed to be helpful to other people to see, and maybe I’m selfish in not wanting to expose myself like that, but I would rather die than have that out in the atmosphere forever. I wonder how Jaleesa really feels about it all?

• Love 11
(edited)
12 hours ago, Shermie said:

I don’t have anything against sprinkles, I like adding them sometimes. I think the biggest travesty of the season was the cookie salad. Ugh, just no.

Don’t call something a salad just because it has a bunch of stuff mixed together in a bowl. Apparently there’s also a popcorn salad. Again, no. Just stop, America. Call it a snack bowl or a treat or a dessert or whatever, but stop saying salad.

Sprinkles are fine for a child’s cake or ice cream, but to make them the center of a baking challenge because the host has some very childish infatuation obsession with them is just wrong ! 
Molly is definitely immature . Her need to tell viewers she could wait to see her sister so they could tell burp and fart jokes is just part of the immaturity.  But , the producers did not have to allow that and allow her to take over the show.

The cookie salad was gross ! But it’s a other one of dippy Molly’s centerpiece dishes ! Blech 

Edited by marmalade
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, kikicat said:

It wasn't a cumulative competition

But I think it should be.  If there's going to be a ten-week competition where ribbons are awarded, etc., that should matter.  Looking at the competition as a whole, Romy and Carolyn were strong throughout. Dennis and Jalessa weren't.  This is also not the Spring Cake Championship.  Jalessa is strong at backing cakes, but she's uneven at things like cheesecake and eclairs.  That's why this is so egregious for many people.  Romy is a strong pastry artist.  Jaleesa is a strong cake artist.  If there's no intention to hold people accountable for the entire range of baking, then make this like the Christmas Cookie Challenge.  Five people and the winner at the end of one show wins 10K.  If Jalessa had done that her last two cakes for that kind of competition and won, I would have absolutely no problem.

However, because of the format and length of SBC, the implicit message is that the winner has emerged over the course of ten weeks to become the champion.  Over the course of ten weeks, I do not believe that Jalessa has emerged to be better than Romy, Carolyn, Justin, or Diego.  I don't think that because I watched her have difficulties with most things that were not cakes.  FN can tell me all they want that Jaleesa won, and they can give her the money. However, I saw that she wasn't as skilled as her fellow competitors, and I saw it over a long period of time.

• Love 23
On 5/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, libgirl2 said:

I like that he didn't want to eliminate Dennis on something juvenile as sprinkles. Good for him. 

I wrote" Sprinkles, what an insult" and got a like from Romy!

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
24 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

Has anyone looked at Molly's feeds to see if there are any negative comments, or are her grossly underpaid social media "scrubbers" working 24/7 to keep reality from entering the conversation?

I haven’t looked since the finale night when the paid rah-rah posters and scrubbers were in full force.  So seeing your post, I just circled back and took a little peek.  The comments that are pro-Molly - she’s the best thing in ages, yay for the finale outcome, love everything about this awesome season, etc have next to zero likes.  The negative comments that have slipped through which echo what has been said here and on Twitter have dozens of likes.  Interesting…

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

i had the finale recorded and just watched it... omg can't believe what i've seen. i actually think it's hilarious because i've been keeping up with this forum for a majority of the season and romy walking off because of a dumb sprinkles challenge is truly just the perfect representation of this season. such a shit show.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Ohmo said:

However, because of the format and length of SBC, the implicit message is that the winner has emerged over the course of ten weeks to become the champion.  Over the course of ten weeks, I do not believe that Jalessa has emerged to be better than Romy, Carolyn, Justin, or Diego.  I don't think that because I watched her have difficulties with most things that were not cakes.  FN can tell me all they want that Jaleesa won, and they can give her the money. However, I saw that she wasn't as skilled as her fellow competitors, and I saw it over a long period of time.

But you know, even GBBO functions like this.  You can be star baker one week and then get sent home the next.  Or you can ride the middle the entire competition and then be really sensational on the day of the finals and win it all.  I'm with you regarding the cumulative points idea, though.  SBC tried something like that with their leaderboard last year, but in the end, the rankings ended up being meaningless.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

But you know, even GBBO functions like this.  You can be star baker one week and then get sent home the next.  Or you can ride the middle the entire competition and then be really sensational on the day of the finals.  I'm with you regarding the cumulative points idea, though.  SBC tried something like that with their leaderboard last year, but in the end, the rankings ended up being meaningless.

Yes, that is true. Thus, I'm pretty sure our winner would not have been around for the finale. Does it mean Romy or someone else would have won? Not necessarily. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 9:15 AM, Frost said:

I despise the sprinkle-off with the fire of a thousand burning suns, but I believe a bake off for the bottom two has been done before.  It wasn't invented just for this show.  In fact, I was rolling my eyes when Molly announced the "surprise twist" after she called time on the pre-heat.  

They've done it on the Holiday version the last couple of seasons, but it's not usually done on the Spring version.  They ended up with an extra baker, though, since they didn't do a double-elimination after they brought back Carolyn so I guess they figured they might as well make things "interesting".  They could very well have chosen to just have 4 bakers in the finale.  From Romy's IG stories it sounds like they really weren't expecting the mid-finale elimination.

I almost feel like this season needs the "Hollywood True Story" treatment.  So many weird things going on.  I still want to know what was with those two random bakers they brought in for Ep 2.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, JenMD said:

I almost feel like this season needs the "Hollywood True Story" treatment.  So many weird things going on.  I still want to know what was with those two random bakers they brought in for Ep 2.

And the real actual scoop on whether Carolyn threatened FN with legal action over the whole timer incident or what

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

For what it's worth, FN apparently does read comments submitted here.  I got an email response to comments I sent regarding the Julia Childs Challenge (which I adored) thanking me for my input.  Maybe it's just a bot but at least I didn't feel I was ignored.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

For what it's worth, FN apparently does read comments submitted here.  I got an email response to comments I sent regarding the Julia Childs Challenge (which I adored) thanking me for my input.  Maybe it's just a bot but at least I didn't feel I was ignored.

@jcbrown, here's your contact info. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I emailed them again about the sprinkles. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Diego’s IG page popped up for me today and wow, he has some amazing creations pictured. His page is chefdiegocr84. 

Gorgeous work! Another one too good for this show. 

• Love 6

OMG!!!! I happened to look at the shows scheduled to record next week on my DVR, & next Tuesday "Spring Baking Championship: Spring On The Farm" starts! Guess who the host is? So not only did the screw up the original show by making Molly the host, they're giving her her very own version of it. I am absolutely not watching. FN, stop trying to make fetch happen.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, GaT said:

OMG!!!! I happened to look at the shows scheduled to record next week on my DVR, & next Tuesday "Spring Baking Championship: Spring On The Farm" starts! Guess who the host is? So not only did the screw up the original show by making Molly the host, they're giving her her very own version of it. I am absolutely not watching. FN, stop trying to make fetch happen.

Ugggggghhhhhhh.  Not watching one minute of this.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Spring on the Farm is the first episode of this season's Spring Baking Championship. There's nothing about Molly hosting a new show on Food Network's website. I think it's just a rerun and your DVR got confused. whew!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

Spring on the Farm is the first episode of this season's Spring Baking Championship. There's nothing about Molly hosting a new show on Food Network's website. I think it's just a rerun and your DVR got confused. whew!

Phew! my stomach actually dropped. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

I hope so, I'll keep checking.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Tuesday is just a shit ton of Chopped reruns and the season debut of the Supermarket show. 

I’ve been out of town and just got to watch the finale today. For weeks I thought Jaleesa would go home. She deserved to go home. I always found Molly to be slightly annoying, but she was Uber annoying on the finale. When the show didn’t have the final two contestants bake off, they had to fill up the time so they probably included more of Molly’s interaction with the contestants. And boy was she annoying. I was actually shouting at the TV for Molly to shut up. I suspect that she usually had this amount of interaction with the contestants but most of it was normally cut out due to time constraints.  Imagine the squealing and intrusive questions that must’ve taken place during the other episodes. I’m horrified.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Tuesday is just a shit ton of Chopped reruns and the season debut of the Supermarket show. 

Just now, Gramto6 said:

I can't decide if I like  the Supermarket show or not. I'd kind of be pissed if I had chosen all my groceries and some stranger wanted to buy them. Even for more than I paid that is still a big NOPE for me!

Wonder when this was filmed? It is bad enough now, I want in and out as fast as possible, can't imagine it was done mid - Pandemic.

Edited by Gramto6
typo then get rid of extra box
(edited)

Just finished SBC finale. I'm disgusted by the whole thing. What a mess.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:33 PM, Texasmom1970 said:

All I have to say this season and the finale was all bullshit!

The show seems like a bad reality show. As soon as the panic attack happened I knew who the winner would be.

I have never watched season 7 of SBC, so I started watching. OMG!!! What a breath of fresh air.  Love the host, the judges,,everyone !

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

20 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Phew! my stomach actually dropped. 

After spending way too much on this, I've decided that this is definitely a new show. First, it's on the Discovery Family channel, not FN. Second, the episode descriptions are different.

This is the description of episode 1 of the season we just saw.

Everything is Coming Up Floral:

Molly challenges the bakers to make fruit tarts that show their personalities; floral bonanza cakes.

This is the description of the episode coming up next week

Spring On The Farm:

Eleven bakers whip up tasty farm stand breakfast treats; bakers must show off their skills and impress judges Kardea Brown, Nancy Fuller, and Duff Goldman with a cake and dessert creation featuring happy, dancing cows.

Two different descriptions, & I don't remember any happy, dancing cows on the show that just ended. Molly has her own version of the show.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

After spending way too much on this, I've decided that this is definitely a new show. First, it's on the Discovery Family channel, not FN. Second, the episode descriptions are different.

This is the description of episode 1 of the season we just saw.

Everything is Coming Up Floral:

Molly challenges the bakers to make fruit tarts that show their personalities; floral bonanza cakes.

This is the description of the episode coming up next week

Spring On The Farm:

Eleven bakers whip up tasty farm stand breakfast treats; bakers must show off their skills and impress judges Kardea Brown, Nancy Fuller, and Duff Goldman with a cake and dessert creation featuring happy, dancing cows.

Two different descriptions, & I don't remember any happy, dancing cows on the show that just ended. Molly has her own version of the show.

I'm still not convinced. Dancing cows was last year's season opener. https://foodsided.com/2021/02/23/spring-baking-championship-season-7-episode-1-boogie-with-the-bovines/

I also don't see anything on Discovery Family Channel's website regarding Molly Yeh or a spring baking show.

From what I've seen Discovery Family tends to show reruns of shows from the other channels under the Discovery brand; I don't recall ever seeing any original programming on that channel.

Another thing is sometimes if a show is airing reruns on a new channel, that channel might try to list it as "new" even though it isn't really new (I have even seen adjustments to the episode name/description to add to the "new" facade)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, CAM said:

From what I've seen Discovery Family tends to show reruns of shows from the other channels under the Discovery brand; I don't recall ever seeing any original programming on that channel.

Another thing is sometimes if a show is airing reruns on a new channel, that channel might try to list it as "new" even though it isn't really new (I have even seen adjustments to the episode name/description to add to the "new" facade)

Yes, any show that has popups, or bonus scenes, or commentary, is listed as new.  Also, when it's new to that channel. 

(edited)

I have to day, I was glad that Carolyn came back.  I know some weren't, but for me, I was glad that she returned because she;s a clear talent.  Ditto Romy, Diego, and Justin.  They create art with food.

Then there's a second tier of people that are talented at some aspects of baking, but not others: Dennis, Jalessa, and Tom fall into this group for me.  Dennis even admitted it about Romy.

Where SBC failed this season wasn't about Molly (for me).  It was about not recognizing the difference between artistry and great skill, and then telling the audience that they were the same thing.  They aren't.

I don't care that Carolyn flubbed the cookie salad.  Honestly don't care.  Carolyn is still more skilled then Jaleesa.  That four-person final should have been Carolyn, Romy, Diego, and Justin.  To watch those four duke it out in the kitchen, I don't think anyone would have had an issue with the winner---whomever it was.   Sprinkles and Molly were just a symptom of the larger issue: trying to keep someone out (Romy) whose skill set was truly championship level while placing two people in the final whose skills did not match championship level when compared to others in the overall competition.

There have always been favorites in this show, but this season, playing favorites damaged the integrity of the show.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Applause 5
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I had already forgotten who won and had to scroll back through the posts to remind myself who it was…

Kind of shows what a totally forgettable season that was....

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, Cetacean said:

Kind of shows what a totally forgettable season that was....

It might be forgettable but I do remember it was bad. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 4
  • Love 4

It looks like Nancy, Carla and Duff are judges in the Holiday Baking Championship and Jesse is the host ! It also looks like Valerie and Duff are hosting her judging the Kid’s Championship!

I was worried that we would get more Molly for those competitions .  Maybe I’ll only have to not eat h the spring completion if she and Kardea are back ! 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

I watched a show yesterday where Molly and her husband renovated the farmhouse they live in (which quite frankly really wasn't very attractive but it was where her show is filmed and it was built by her husband's grandparents) and I wish that person had showed up on the baking shows because she was a lot more tolerable (still a little too much and that darned sprinkle obsession is so stupid) than she was on the baking show.  Their house was really nice at the end.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Nancy Fuller posted this yesterday:

“Enjoying the peace before heading to film #springbakingchampionship I can’t wait to see what this season holds 👀 @jessepalmer see you soon!!!”

So, it looks like it’s not “Molly Yeh’s Spring Baking Championship “ anymore ! 

It is interesting how Nancy mentioned Jesse in her post! I have a feeling she not only is happy about his return ,  but she wanted to let fans know that we wouldn’t see that ridiculous version of the show we saw this year !

Romy and Tom were joking on social media about auditioning for next year’s show .

After all of the defending of Molly as a host by Duff, and not commenting about her by the contestants , Romy , Tom and Dennis liked many comments  about how bad she was , and how silly the challenges were . I have a feeling many contestants, except Jaleesa , were angry about the host and the judging last year. It was insulting and very unfair . 
I actually lost some respect for Duff.  It’s one thing to defend a friend, It’s  another thing to insult,  and mock posters who expressed opinions about Molly as a host .

I also wonder if Duff will be a judge since he’s filming the Kids Baking Championship now with Valerie.

Hopefully,  Lorraine will be back and Kardea will be gone with Molly !  She has ability to objectively judge contestants, Kardea does not !

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6

The Kitchen recently showed a repeat segment from before the airing of Spring Baking Championship with an interview with Molly.  She said her favorite part was the Cookie Salad.  

With all the repercussions, wonder if that is still her highlight

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2022 at 12:24 PM, HyeChaps said:

The Kitchen recently showed a repeat segment from before the airing of Spring Baking Championship with an interview with Molly.  She said her favorite part was the Cookie Salad.  

With all the repercussions, wonder if that is still her highlight

She is such a childish , annoying host ! 

• Like 2
  • Love 5