Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

Message added by theatremouse,

This topic is for discussion of all iterations ofย Spring Baking Championship. The hosts'/judges'/special guests' other shows are off-topic.

• Start Topic

I wanted to crawl through the tv to eat that chocolate cake! ๐Ÿค— Yum! ๐Ÿ˜‹ Glad Saber won this week. He is so cute!

You have to peel the paper off the biscuit roll first. What I do to pop the roll is to press my forearm into it while it is laying on the counter. Yeah, Iโ€™m a gourmet baker! ๐Ÿ˜†

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 10:24 PM, CharlizeCat said:

How nice for the one team to think of Nancy by spelling out L-U-S-H.

Yeah, that goes for Clinton, too. Not so obvious here, but on The Chew it really was!

Speaking of bourbon... take a shot every time Nancy points out that something is or isn't Springy?

I know it's the Spring Baking Championship and all that, but are you the Spring Police? Do you get paid by the Spring?

It's as if Alton Brown pointed out, "I really like your bacon wrapped foie gras, but it doesn't really scream iron to me. It really looks a little more nickel than anything."

Wth is "Springy" anyway? Why are sliced almonds Spring-like, but pecans are Fall-like? So many of the fruit that you point out are "Springy" actually peak in the Summer - like raspberries, peaches, and pretty much everything else except citrus fruit and strawberries.

Can't it just be... a baking championship that happens in the Spring?ย 

Sorry for the rant. Needless to say, there was an awful lot of bourbon being passed around last night.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

If any of these bakers are paying attention, the keys to win Nancy's undying love for your bakes is pretty obvious. 1)Plenty of booze 2)ย be sure to write the theme word (i.e.- "SPRING!" or "Halloween!" ) in theย matching theme color(s) using coulis orย  drizzle (boozy one if possible).ย  3) Top of with theme inspired detritus- flowers, pumpkins, mini Santas.ย 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Jason's advice to Corey was crap -- "don't change any of the flavors or it's not a hummingbird cake" means he wants the guy to lose.ย  Um, the challenge is to redo the dessert, not a literal interpretation.

Probably why he was assigned to chopping duties and nothing else, LOL!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ae2 said:

Speaking of bourbon... take a shot every time Nancy points out that something is or isn't Springy?

I know it's the Spring Baking Championship and all that, but are you the Spring Police? Do you get paid by the Spring?

It's as if Alton Brown pointed out, "I really like your bacon wrapped foie gras, but it doesn't really scream iron to me. It really looks a little more nickel than anything."

Wth is "Springy" anyway? Why are sliced almonds Spring-like, but pecans are Fall-like? So many of the fruit that you point out are "Springy" actually peak in the Summer - like raspberries, peaches, and pretty much everything else except citrus fruit and strawberries.

Can't it just be... a baking championship that happens in the Spring?ย 

Sorry for the rant. Needless to say, there was an awful lot of bourbon being passed around last night.

For your entertainment, a video short, used on Mystery Science Theater, A Case ofย Spring Fever:

This short is a hoot. Saw it years ago, and think of it every time "not springy" is said.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

all I can think of is mint juleps at the Kentucky Derby.

You're right, I realized that after my post.ย  Methinks her preference is year round seeing as she also drools over bourbon in the Holiday Baking Championship.ย ย 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Jason's advice to Corey was crap -- "don't change any of the flavors or it's not a hummingbird cake" means he wants the guy to lose.ย  Um, the challenge is to redo the dessert, not a literal interpretation.

There was a delicate balance to be had there since they chided one of the two bottom ladies for not being enough like her assigned cake. (The lane cake lady).ย ย 

I do believe, though, that was the first time someone has used the extra help in the most effective way possible.ย  Usually they bring them in at the end for decoration creation.ย 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Please, stop with the bourbon challenges.ย  We get it, Nancy's an alcoholic, the enabling must stop.ย  Plus, since when is bourbon "spring-y"?

The bourbon wasn't in the challenge because it's "spring-ey" though. All the beverages were chosen because they're southern, because Jason is southern. The springeyness was supposed to come from whatever the contestants did with it.

• Love 4
(edited)

Why were they celebrating stone fruits as "spring-y" when they are in season in summer? And who went home? I've already forgotten.

So far it looks like this is Saber's to lose. I did think Clinton seemed to be hitting his stride a bit more in last night's episode, though. He seemed more relaxed and more like he was having a bit of fun.

Edited by jcbrown
typing around a cat can be challenging
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

And who went home? I've already forgotten.

Jordan? I think? Kind of a forgettable dark-haired woman. I can't even remember what she screwed up. Was she the Lane Cake thing?

4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Jordan? I think? Kind of a forgettable dark-haired woman. I can't even remember what she screwed up. Was she the Lane Cake thing?

Soย I see you found it as memorable as I did...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I actually liked the canned biscuit challenge! I like a good shortcut! Iโ€™dย like to try theย peach dessert they were all raving about.ย 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I๏ปฟ did think Clinton seemed to be hitting his stride a bit more in last night's episode, though. He seemed m๏ปฟore relaxed and more like he was having a bit of fun.

I have to agree with that. Heโ€™s grown on me. I loved when he couldnโ€™t open the canned biscuits.ย 

• LOL 6
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

So far it looks like this is Saber's to lose. I did think Clinton seemed to be hitting his stride a bit more in last night's episode, though. He seemed more relaxed and more like he was having a bit of fun.

Exactly my thoughts. He seemed much more natural and like he was having a good time. He is the only host, that I remember, who's actually tasted the food and his reactions seem genuine.

11 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Soย I see you found it as memorable as I did...

The irony is she was the "southern" girl.

I love Jason. He always makes me smile.

Edited by sunshine23
addition
  • Love 7

Clinton seems to have become comfortable in his new role.ย  He's certainly used to being on TV and he has a sense of humor as anyone who has watched The Chew knows.ย  I think it just took him awhile to adapt to this show.

Tracy's cake must have been significantly better than the other women's for the judges to give her a pass on forgetting the nuts.ย  I like her so I was glad she was safe although I think one of the men will win.ย  At this point, I can't guess which one.ย  They all seem highly skilled.

On the FN site, Saber's bio says, if he wins, he wants to buy his wife a corgi.ย  Aw.ย ย 

• Love 10

No offense to anyone, but I hate Jason, or should I say, what Food TV has made him.ย  Back when he was a contestant, he was funny and refreshing, but now he's just corny and OTT.ย  He's basically Food Network's "Southern Clown" they pull out whenever they need to add some deep south into the show.

Didn't anyone else catch Lorraine taking HUGE bites TWICE!!ย  She did Duff's exaggerated big-bite.ย  I guess they got her a spit bucket.

Ricardo is starting to grate.ย  He's basically a hipster Chef Boyardee and never hesitates to lay on the Italian stereotypes.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I loathe Jason.

I don't hate him... but, he's not a favorite. When he says "Honey, well let me tell ya...", I cringe. His personality comes off as so manufactured and disingenuous. Stop it Jason. Go back to being yourself, which was charming once about a time.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

No offense to anyone, but I hate Jason, or should I say, what Food TV has made him.ย  Back when he was a contestant, he was funny and refreshing, but now he's just corny and OTT.ย  He's basically Food Network's "Southern Clown" they pull out whenever they need to add some deep south into the show.

Glad someone else said it first.ย  I won't watch anything he's on.ย  Just a caricature and not an amusing one.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Glad someone else said it first.ย  I won't watch anything he's on.ย  Just a caricature and not an amusing one.

I stopped watching Next Food Network Star a long time ago, so I didn't see his season. Did he wear the ridiculous jackets then?ย 

I know itโ€™s been said before, but it still bugs the crap out of me that Lorraine hardly tastes anything. ย But thereโ€™s something I noticed this year and itโ€™s that her plate always looks like the food was involved in an explosion. ย I donโ€™t know if she mushes everything up, or if she does it to disguise the fact that she barely eats anything, but it just looks nasty.ย 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

But thereโ€™s something I noticed this year and itโ€™s that her plate always looks like the food was involved in an explosion.

Sometimes they show her picking apart the food like she's looking for an insect or something.ย  It's ridiculous.ย  Take a neat bite and let it go.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, sunshine23 said:

I actually noticed Lorraine taking much bigger bites this episode than in the past. It only occured to me because of the comments about it on this board.

Yes!ย  At least twice in the last episode she took huge bites.ย ย 

I think Lorraine may take a larger bite and if she can't taste the components then she takes smaller individual bites of the filling, frosting, cake, etc. to really look for the requirements. ย Personally, I don't care how they bite or taste and since they don't film everything we don't know for sure if Duff and Nancy aren't taking the same small bites. ย Perhaps it's Lorraine's teeth that make her bites appear small. ย Not picking on her but it's obvious her teeth are larger than Duff's tiny teeth. ย 

As a contestant, Jason was talented andย funny. ย He may still be talented but he is no longer funny. ย His performance no longer seems about baking talent but outfits and corny lines. ย He just needs to get back to being him. ย 

Clinton, I like and if they really want to make me happy they can have an episode with Carla and Michael as guest judges. ย I loved The Chew.

Edited by mellowjoi
  • Love 10

The judging just seems inconsistent.ย  All the "It doesn't say spring" and then a baker who makes a chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and forgets the twist doesn't go home?

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Opening๏ปฟ the can๏ปฟ๏ปฟ๏ปฟ always scar๏ปฟed me a๏ปฟs a ki๏ปฟd.๏ปฟ

It still scares me. ย I always make my husband open themย for me!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

ย Opening the can always scared me as a kid.

As a kid, I always begged for that job! ย 

I prided myself in knowing the precise angle at which toย whackย that cylinder against the counter andย getย the dough to burstย outย on the first try.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, kirklandia said:

As a kid, I always begged for that ๏ปฟjob! ย 

Me, too!ย  I was disappointed when they changed the instructions to "press seam with the edge of a spoon" or something like that.

I still whack away - such a satisfying moment when it bursts open.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was happy to see Karina win, and she deserved it.ย  Saberย looked a little piqued during the first challenge when everyone gushed over her eggs, but they were beautiful.ย  The fudge in the middle was genius.

Saber essentially made Peeps, but I'd actually eat his.ย ย 

I think some of the front-runners fellย from their pedestals though.ย  Corey's been pretty solid so far, but his desserts confused me- what was that granola crunch egg?ย  And the rice pudding in the cake?ย ย 

And dear God, Ricardo's primary-colored hat thing.ย  I really thought he was going home with that mess. The inside looked good and must haveย tasted incredible, because the outsideย was hideous.ย  I do think the judges looked back on his overall work so far, and that's what saved him.

Marqessa fell apart right out of the gate and never got back up.ย  I didn't think her hats were awful, but there wasn't anything outstanding enough to save them, either.

Tracey seems to fall mostly in the lower tier, but she's still holding on.ย ย 

• Love 11

I love Duff too! Heโ€™s my favorite judge by far.ย 

I didnโ€™t noticeย until last night, but Ricardo has some guns! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Glad he survived. ย 

• Love 7

I thought the pink cake should have gone home (Tracy?) It was hideous looking. Ricardo's was pretty attrocious to look at but at least it had different colors and "techniques". I like Nancy, but her fascinator "was not very springy." to take a page out of her book. I loved when Clinton talked to Marquesa (?) and calmed her down.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Personally I *hate* when they cover a cake with fondant. So I think the right person won on that basis alone.

I'm not fond of fondant personally, but if you're trying to decorate a cake nothing else comes close to the flexibility that fondant gives you. That's why so many cake shops use it on just about everything they do.

Could it be viewed as taking the easy route? I think so. If I were judging I would expect the contestants that use fondant to really show their creativity with it. The wavy brim of the spring hat was a really great and unique use for fondant! Using it for decorative additions like ribbons or flowers is fine. Simply using it to make your cake surface flatter, or to cover over imperfections with your frosting, that's where I would ding you for it.

• Love 2

I don't doubt that fudge-filled macaron in the first round was delicious and looked great, but I was actually side-eyeing the fudge. I don't generally eat a macaron with a fork. Only because it was a judging situation and she was able to warn them were they able to eat it without making a giant mess. Even if I ordered it in a restaurant as a dessert and the menu said it were fudge-filled, I'd be surprised by the texture of what was inside that.ย It just seemed an impractical filling for what it was.

• Love 1

Corey's turn at judging was pretty funny - he did handle it well. And Lorraine actually made me laugh for a change. She's usually so unemotional.

I was petty - I didn't hate Marqessa, but I was happy to see her go. I didn't want Clinton giving her a pep talk, lol. If a contestant wants to throw in the towel, let 'em.ย 

Sadly, I like the rest of the group, so I'll be a little bummed with who goes next. But sometimes this show is predictable, and I'm guessing Corey or Tracey will go next.ย 

Karina's and Saber's dishes were beautiful. I think Karina is my fav though.

• Love 6

I just knew that there were Latina/ Latino bakers from Miami who didn't feel the overwhelming urge to use mango or guava in everything they bake...and then excuse it away as "Latinos LOVE these flavors and always use them.". She's a refreshing change from some of the other bakers in other championships.ย ย 

As much as her bake was beautiful, I didn't think it looked like a hat at all.ย  And I think I must be the only person to not like the consistency of mirror glaze.ย  I'd rather have fondant I can pick off.ย  But...it was super beautiful and she did an outstanding job.

Count me as one who will not miss Marqessa.ย  She got a lot of screen time for producing very little "wow".

Also, I am not a huge fan of marshmallow.ย  I don't like peeps.ย  S'mores are ok once in a great while.ย  So, the first challenge didn't excite me but I do understand why it was there.ย  I like Corey but he lost me when he said his marshmallow dessert was inspired by Fruity Pebbles, perhaps the nastiest cereal ever created (except maybe Grape Nuts, because I like having teeth and chewing on gravel is bad for your dental health).ย ย 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I don't understand why Marqessa didn't stand up for herself when Lorraine said she couldn't understand how that was all she produced in 2 hours.ย  She had major difficulties with the tuille cookies and had to make them several times.ย  Granted, excuses shouldn't influence a judge's decision, but at the very least, they should have known about it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

As much as her bake was beautiful, I didn't think it looked like a hat at all.ย  And I think I must be the only person to not like the consistency of mirror glaze.ย  I'd rather have fondant I can pick off.ย  But...it was super beautiful and she did an outstanding job.

I thought it looked like a very specific 1920s-ish style hat.

3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I don't understand why Marqessa didn't stand up for herself when Lorraine said she couldn't understand how that was all she produced in 2 hours.ย  She had major difficulties with the tuille cookies and had to make them several times.ย 

I don't think that would've made her look any better. An experienced baker shouldn't have needed so many tries on the tuilles. When she decided to do them she even said it was because it used to be her job and she could make them in her sleep. And then...she couldn't.

Plus I don't think the judges thought she did so little and was just sitting around running down the clock. When they say she should've done more in the time, what they mean is "if it took you that long to do just this, you're not at the level we expect here".

• Love 15