Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, lh25 said:

And the Tropical Opulence bakers really missed the mark, in both flavors and decorations.

I HATE coconut but it was the first flavor I thought of when I heard their theme.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rlc said:

I’m sorry, but I cannot look at a pale pink geode cake without thinking about vaginas. Just me?

This viral post from a few years ago ruined any innocence I had about geode cakes, lol. The bakery owner's responses (she also won cupcake wars, I think) are hilarious.

https://m.facebook.com/nadiacakes/photos/a.170892814228/10154530239889229/?type=3

I just can't get into this season though. I love Kardea, and the host is decent enough. (Duff seemed a little out of sorts in last night's episode though). The boozy Nancy thing is really old now, though it didn't use to annoy me.

The team challenge, while a little interesting in how the bakers communicated, just made for a mess at judging. I didn't like any of the decorations, really.

I do like Jahmal though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, lh25 said:

I really though Duff would ding the one baker for the leaning of her cake.  And the Tropical Opulence bakers really missed the mark, in both flavors and decorations.

I thought that too, about the Tropical Opulence cake. Tropical flavors are pineapple, mango, banana, coconut, rum and probably other flavors I can't think of, and they didn't choose any of them. They went partially with citrus, which I wouldn't call tropical. I also agree about cramming so many different flavors into one cake, that I can't imagine would all taste good together. I can't remember how they decorated it.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, susannah said:

I can't remember how they decorated it.

it was sort of bland, with some flowers (plumeria) and leaves. As I recall the leaves were two different shades of green, both rather dull. Not very striking.

• Love 5
Just now, dleighg said:

it was sort of bland, with some flowers (plumeria) and leaves. As I recall the leaves were two different shades of green, both rather dull. Not very striking.

Oh yeah. They could have done WAY better than that.

• Love 2

That “Bohemian” cake was a hot mess. Duff, that was not Art Nouveau which is about elegant, sinuous lines and curves. One of the halves looked as if the baker had just daubed spots of icing on the cake.

• Love 7

I was surprised by the winners, too. The judges comments that they showed didn't sound like they were going to win at all. I don't know if they do it on purpose so that viewers are surprised but I find it annoying because I want the critique to fit with the comments that we're getting.

I liked the general idea of the challenge. It was interesting. I loved the look on Duff's face when he was told about the challenge; he looked like he was thinking: are you freaking kidding me?!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, susannah said:

I thought that too, about the Tropical Opulence cake. Tropical flavors are pineapple, mango, banana, coconut, rum and probably other flavors I can't think of, and they didn't choose any of them. They went partially with citrus, which I wouldn't call tropical. I also agree about cramming so many different flavors into one cake, that I can't imagine would all taste good together. I can't remember how they decorated it.

Yeah, when they said they were going for "spring" flavors I just kind of stared at the screen because plenty of tropical flavors are VERY spring-y

What is wrong with this show.... "Hey, let's think up a challenge where the bakes are sure to be a huge disappointment and look like crap!"

Are Nancy's "dancing hands" the new Carla's "duuuude?" Please stop Nancy, you already have your boozy broad shtick as your annoying judging thing.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

What is wrong with this show.... "Hey, let's think up a challenge where the bakes are sure to be a huge disappointment and look like crap!"

Are Nancy's "dancing hands" the new Carla's "duuuude?" Please stop Nancy, you already have your boozy broad shtick as your annoying judging thing.  

Couldn't have said it any better myself.  That thing Nancy does is nauseating.

• Love 1

I have just started watching the Great British Baking Show and I see very little resemblance between these two shows. First of all, those British people eat some strange desserts! Plus GBBS has a lot more savory stuff on, and bread stuff on, plus their bakers are all amateurs where the American version seems to be mostly professionals or semi-professionals.  

I kept wondering why the bakers didn't think to do separate layers - I'll do the bottom layer and you do the upper two or something.  Guess it was against the rules but sure would have made the cakes nicer.

I'm on to watch the bakes, what the judges do is not relevant to me.  I think my favorite is that one guy (whom I believe teaches baking science or something) and Jamaal.

1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I kept wondering why the bakers didn't think to do separate layers - I'll do the bottom layer and you do the upper two or something.  Guess it was against the rules but sure would have made the cakes nicer.

I have to assume it was against the rules, but that was my first thought, too. I actually didn't mind the challenge itself; it's something different and the cakes largely turned out better than I thought they would. I was really impressed with how close the purples were on the geode cakes.

• Love 3

Even though she had a bit better bake this week, I was ticked at Chiantae when she said she was "stuck with Jamaal" or something to that effect at the beginning of the team pairings.  I was saying "oh no, you don't, Chiantae -- he was stuck with YOU!"  She had barely, barely squeaked by elimination the week before.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I was ticked at Chiantae when she said she was "stuck with Jamaal" or something to that effect at the beginning of the team pairings.

I got the impression that BOTH of them knew she was kidding

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I got the impression that BOTH of them knew she was kidding

I get that but it was a joke that came across really flat to me from someone who should have been eliminated the week before IMO.  I liked the other team pairings who were positive / great about working together rather than a lame joke like that.  

• Love 2
19 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Plus GBBS ... their bakers are all amateurs where the American version seems to be mostly professionals or semi-professionals.  

And I would rather watch them and eat thier foods than most of the dreck this show turns out. 

I really like Derek and Jahmal.  I thought Derek telling  Madiya (sp?) how tall his cake layer was was smart, but she clearly didn't measure hers to match.  Even if they, all the teams,  couldn't see what the other was doing, little things like that, agreeing on a height, agreeing to use so many drops of a certain color to get them to match, those things could have made the cakes more cohesive.  I mean, they had to have discussed the size of the pans they were using, right?  Take it a step further and specify to trim the layers to a certain height.  That alone, the difference in height of most of the cakes, made me cringe.  Then the kitchen sink method of throwing everything inside it and see what works.  Yuck.  

You're killing my spring buzz, show!

• Love 4
On 3/17/2021 at 12:29 PM, susannah said:

I kind of felt bad for them, since no one else had a "theme" that would dictate flavor. the closest was the desert one but no one would have dinged him for *not* using tequila.

The criticisms of the decorating continue to confound me. I was sure the macaron tower would get dinged for not being spring-y enough, but apparently the blueberry inside was enough. Whereas the other "Twinkle twinkle little star" tower was fab, but not baby enough? Though it would look find in a nursery to me! So bewildering.

Poor Jamahl. Even great flavors couldn't save that 100% decorating fail, especially after the fail in the preheat. (In the preheat, I liked that Duff appreciated what he was going for, even if Nancy didn't at all.)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, springbarb said:

The criticisms of the decorating continue to confound me. I was sure the macaron tower would get dinged for not being spring-y enough, but apparently the blueberry inside was enough. Whereas the other "Twinkle twinkle little star" tower was fab, but not baby enough? Though it would look find in a nursery to me! So bewildering.

My thoughts exactly. The blue one wasn't spring-y enough but they didn't say a word about the first? Maybe it looked differently in person but on TV, the color of the macarons wasn't all that appealing.

Madiha's teddy bear party was really cute (even if the bears weren't the prettiest ones but still pretty good for the time limit). I also liked the ones with the actual sharks peeking out of the cupcakes.

• Love 5

I really hate when the twist is some flavor that doesn't work with everything. I'm glad Derek basically said "screw your twist, it is what it is" and I wish Jahmal had done the same thing. Jahmal redoing so many things hurt his time, and I'm sure that's what kept him from finishing on time. 

• Love 11

I can't stand that so many of them go to fondant for decorating. So non-pleasant to eat.

And speaking of non-edible, what are you actually supposed to do with the isomalt "window" on the rattle?

Personally, I thought Mediha's teddy bears (which the judges raved about) looked like monkeys.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 5

Judges to Mediha- we find you to be absolutely delightful and we are giving you the win for cake donuts.

Judges to Keya- your completely decorated and very springy baby shower tower is too busy, and it’s just donuts. We expect more in this competition.

• Love 17

I agree with springbarb in terms of the decorating. I felt the same way in terms of the macaron tower it was not Spring-y. 

I know Jamahl messed up but what bugs me is why did all the judges eat the entire cookie and rave about it being the best bite only to have him be the one sent home when Natalie didn't make good macaroons. They were too crispy and the judges said if it's the star of the plate then it should be good. I get Jamahl's wasn't visually appealing but flavors should count. I liked Jamahl but messing up in the pre-heat and then again in the main event was the downfall so of course hw was getting sent home. Was sad to see him go. Natalie did well in pre-heat with the rattle cookie. So of course she wasn't getting sent home. 

rlc - that's an excellent point about the judges response to both Mediha and Keya. I don't want to say it's favoritism but I'm sure in these competitions these judges always have there favorites. 

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, GodBless13 said:

rlc - that's an excellent point about the judges response to both Mediha and Keya. I don't want to say it's favoritism but I'm sure in these competitions these judges always have there favorites. 

I feel like Mediha plays up to the judges with all of her silly giggling.  Bugs me to no end.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Pallida said:

I really hate when the twist is some flavor that doesn't work with everything. I'm glad Derek basically said "screw your twist, it is what it is" and I wish Jahmal had done the same thing. Jahmal redoing so many things hurt his time, and I'm sure that's what kept him from finishing on time. 

And why have it be coffee of all things? 3 bakers had a tea party theme. Stand to reason at least 1 of them would use tea as a flavor.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I feel like Mediha plays up to the judges with all of her silly giggling.  Bugs me to no end.

LOL 😂 Clearly she's not the one you're rooting for.

I've read through the thread and maybe I overlooked it but I haven't seen a mention from anyone having a favorite or someone they are rooting to win it all. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, GodBless13 said:

I've read through the thread and maybe I overlooked it but I haven't seen a mention from anyone having a favorite or someone they are rooting to win it all. 

That's true.  So many of the contestants have seemed interchangeable that I still don't even have their names sorted out.  I'm rooting for Derek.  I thought his shark tower was easily the best last night.  The winning cake looked more like a stump.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, rlc said:

Judges to Mediha- we find you to be absolutely delightful and we are giving you the win for cake donuts.

Judges to Keya- your completely decorated and very springy baby shower tower is too busy, and it’s just donuts. We expect more in this competition.

Such a headscratcher! Keya seemed, rightfully, taken aback by her critique. Not sure what the judges wanted from the bakers in this challenge. The macaron tower was the color of used chewing gum and the golden stars were obscured. It seemed like a cake more suitable for an existential crisis than a baby shower. 

Also rooting for Derek.  I want his red ribbons to morph into a huge blue ribbon at the end.

• Love 6

I think I’m rooting for Derek because I like his shirts, he works in a public high school (while doing a bunch of awesome other things), and seems to be a good dude who bakes good things. But, I generally like all the bakers so I’m not rooting against anybody. 

I don’t think this show really lets me judge people on their baking though. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

MerBearHou   I totally agree with you.  My sister and I text during the shows and we thought this very same thing.  She seems to have become their favorite.  We had been rooting for Jamahl and were so disappointed that he went home last night.  I felt bad as he struggled through both baking challenges last night.  Now we are rooting for Derrick.

Edited by Swiss
  • Love 6

Jamahl's cake tower looked like on of those Pinterest fail pictures.  I was rooting for him to do well, but he seemed to have trouble managing time with the ideas he was trying to execute.  In the end, he was correct when he said the kitchen was not his friend that day.  

Who made the llama concoction - I can't remember.  I thought it looked like a lamb or sheep, and not a llama.  I would have dubbed it a little lamb, which is very baby themed.

I hope next week shows their cake decorating skills, and I do wish the producers would stop adding a surprise element when it's too late to incorporate something like that late in the game.  

• Love 5

Jamahl did not do as well in the competition as I thought he was going to. Maybe the pace and environment just didn't suit him. I think abandoning so much work he already had done when the coffee twist came up was kind of a knee jerk reaction, and he perhaps could have found another way to work around it. Coffee and tea are mixed in some recipes and there is a popular drink that mixes coffee, tea and milk. Still, he came up with something great tasting, so good for him. 

• Love 4

On 3/23/2021 at 7:15 AM, rlc said:

I sort of agreed with them on the "busy" part. It's not that it was completely covered, they wanted that, but the arrangement of stuff was very chaotic to my eye. She could've had the same components but arranged differently on the tower in a way that sort of leads your eye in a specific direction, and that would've been not "too busy".

• Love 3
On 3/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, rlc said:

udges to Keya- your completely decorated and very springy baby shower tower is too busy, and it’s just donuts. We expect more in this competition.

Unless I'm mistaken she's made donuts before.  Maybe Kardea was saying that because she wants to see her branch out and do other things.  I recall one of the competition seasons the baker made the same kind of cake week after week until one of the judges (Damiano, I think) told him he needed to show what else he could do.  He was gone soon after, lol.  But yeah, she did look surprised at the criticism.  

• Love 1

Baked donuts are a lie anyway.  I mean, there's like .05 degrees of separation between a baked donut and a mini-bundt cake.  But I did think the judging was nutso... Mediha's "bears" looked more like little monkeys and overall it was rather sparsely decorated with the donuts so it barely even qualified as a "tower."  

Crispy macarons are only a problem in a competition like this.  In the real world you fill them and let them "mature" and 9/10 times they come out just fine.  I still didn't think the color she selected was all that great, it just came across as gray to me, but I think they were being unusually harsh with her.

• Love 6

And didn't another baker do donuts (I don't remember her name - the one with the distracting nose adornment) and get praised?  And I don't remember her colors being particularly springy either (when did dark blue become a spring color?).

2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

And didn't another baker do donuts (I don't remember her name - the one with the distracting nose adornment) and get praised?  And I don't remember her colors being particularly springy either (when did dark blue become a spring color?).

It seems to all depend on who decides if it's springy or not.  If Nancy decides it is, it's springy.  If she decides it isn't, it's not 😉

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

It seems to all depend on who decides if it's springy or not.  If Nancy decides it is, it's springy.  If she decides it isn't, it's not 😉

Since Nancy Fuller appears to be the Authoritative Arbiter of Spring - perhaps she can take over for Punxsutawney Phil?  I think that poor groundhog deserves a break.

Edited by kirklandia
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

Since Nancy Fuller appears to be the authoritative arbiter of Spring - perhaps she can take over for Punxsutawney Phil?  I think that poor groundhog deserves a break.

If a bottle of liquor came with the job, she would be so there! I agree about Nancy making her proclamations as to what is springy or not, and also that poor P. Phil deserves a break. Being dragged out of his heated "house" to the cold and held up for a bunch of cheering yahoos year after year is more than any groundhog should take! I also thought Keya's rattle was awesome, and Madiha's "onesie" looked nothing like one.

• Love 1