Type keyword(s) to search

Smallville - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I've been re-watching from the beginning and am up to the Season 3 episode "Shattered". When the horse starts trampling Lana, it took me right back to the old TWoP days:

this equine hero, who deserves his own show, has been dubbed Meteor the Stompy Horse (tm mmbarnes). He stomps Lana again. And again. Lana lies still on the ground while hundreds of Meteor fan sites go up on the internet. Clark superzips in to find Lana, splayed out on the floor with her leg crooked and the horse thinking, "Yeah, how ya like me now?" Meteor the Stompy Horse shall be the greatest horse who ever lived apart from Captain Oats.

Good times, indeed.

• LOL 7

I just finished the entire series.  I never watched it before, but I found it on Hulu.  One can get really tired of the characters when you watch too many episodes at a time.  They all have their same facial expressions when something bad happens and they go to - what used to be - a commercial break.  There is something to said for the standard one episode per week. 

Season 8 was horrible.  The series should have ended before this mess.  

I didn't care for the mess up timeline progression.  

I hated the character of Chloe throughout the entire series. 

I watched the final episode last night.  I have to admit, I don't understand what happened and how he saved everybody.  I will probably have to watch the end of the show again to try and figure just what went on in those final moments of saving everyone.  

I thought the casting for Lex Luthor was great.  

The fact that they never made Lana the Insect Queen like in the Silver Age comics shows how too besotted with Kristen Kreuk the producers were that they didnt want her anything less than beautiful onscreen.superboy-124.thumb.jpg.5c8311ee30e2d07a4d1d21301052be0d.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1

From NY Comic Con:

Join Tom Welling, Sam Witwer, Laura Vandervoort, and Michael Rosenbaum on this look back at this groundbreaking show and a look ahead at what's next for this Super-group.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 7:45 PM, moonchild81 said:

allison mack is going to jail for 3 years😮

I am actually suprised that it is that low. I guess she was a victim too. I don't know much about the case, however it sounds like it was both. As cheesy as the saying is it's true, "absolutely  power corrupts absolutely". 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

Recently Smallville finished Runner-up in TV Guides’ ‘Best Ever CW Show’ tournament.  Supernatural won.  But Smallville being second is pretty impressive considering it’s up against shows still airing. 

I also rewatched S4-S5 recently.  Originally I couldn’t rewatch the series because I just felt sort of numb by the end. Then the Allison Mack thing came out.  And I HAD been a big fan of Chloe (less so in the last season).  So, I just couldn’t.  For me, Allison Mack actually going to jail was I guess the closure I needed.   Please don’t take that the wrong way.  I truly saw her as both victim and villain.  I think she drank the ‘ Koolaid’ but she also fundamentally failed ‘Humanity 101’ with choices.  I think jail time and a life of reparations is in order.   Low key reparations, off the radar. I do believe their is recognition of her wrong doings and genuine remorse.  

So, with that background… it’s been a decade.  What did I see:

Some of the acting is really good.  Annette O’Toole, Michael Rosenbaum, John Glover are always outstanding.  I still like Chloe’s character.  I did not appreciate the first time around how much gaslighting of Lana was going on.  I didn’t like her all that much but it’s hard to watch the ‘for her own good’ decisions that others made for her.  I always felt Gough and Miller were manipulating the fan base into divisiveness.  Now I also see a squick ‘me too’ factor going on for some of the main storylines.  

But it still has a good bit of storytelling in there. If they do pursue comics, I hope they stick to the comics-plot and avoid the stuff Gough/Miller threw in for ratings (Let’s have Lois go under cover at a strip joint! Poor Erica Durance!).  

• Useful 1

I still like Chloe’s character.

I only really liked her once she found out Clark's secret. Much like Will from Alias, before that, she was kind of annoying.

I've always liked Chloe the character. I watched the show when it was on, and I wasn't a Lana that's for sure. I was (well still am) a nerdy girl who was on the school paper. I think while I can separate the actor from the character, I still wish that she was more like Chloe :(. As Chloe would never do what she did. While it hard to process what the Alison does, I still relate to Chloe the most during rewatches. The only episode I didn't like her was in season  2 (Truth) where she is evading everyone's privacy. But she learns from that and stops. The best part was when she found out about Clark and the two team up multiple times.

• Love 3

Tom Welling returns to Michael's podcast.

Couple of interesting things to note.

1. They talk briefly about the animated Smallville project they are developing and will be pitching next month. But a bit later Tom mentions that they have 2 projects that they are working on together. They never discuss the second one.

2. At the end if the interview, Michael asks Tom if he would be interested in playing Superman now (a live action version, one would assume, since we know they are already developing the animated version). Tom actually seems like he would very much be interested in playing that role now.

Could these two be trying to generate some interest in a live action Smallville revival project?

On 12/22/2021 at 5:22 AM, moonshine71 said:

Could these two be trying to generate some interest in a live action Smallville revival project?

I mean it's possible but would DC or the CW be interested, especially now that they have Superman and Lois? You might get Erica back but obvious AM is out and CF and JH are both busy with other things. Not that they're necessarily important to a revival but otherwise the show is pretty much S&L. 

I wasn't exactly thrilled with COIE's version of what happened so I wouldn't necessarily mind if they changed that but OTOH I'm not jumping at the chance for more. 

• Love 1
On 10/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, SueB said:

I did not appreciate the first time around how much gaslighting of Lana was going on.

HO. LEE. MACKEREL.

I rewatched the first few seasons recently, and I don't know if it's because I'm older now or what, but Lana didn't deserve half the shade she got in the early years. And honestly, Clark comes off rather poorly in hindsight. Many of Lana's actions regarding finding out about Clark seem to stem from the fact that she was awake in the car in Tempest and thus at least somewhat aware of what was going on. So then, even if she doesn't understand details or even know exactly what she knows, she definitely knows Clark is lying to her, which would make anyone upset. It really does feel like gaslighting, because he's basically telling her to ignore what she saw and that she can't trust her own senses or memory of events.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Something that’s always kind of bothered me was when Clark and Jonathan return to the farm in season three’s “Phoenix” (after superpowered Jonathan got Clark off the red kryptonite in Metropolis) and Clark apologized to Martha about being accidentally responsible for the miscarriage, Martha replies that they never blamed him.

Uh…maybe she didn’t, but Jonathan did. Did Martha not know about that little detail? Wouldn’t shock me if Jonathan felt so guilty that he deliberately kept her in the dark about it…in fact that was never even acknowledged until “Legacy” later that season. And honestly it drove me nuts that it took that long for Jonathan to own up to that. Not that I’m absolving Clark’s boneheaded decision to run away, etc, but still.

• Love 2

So I’m rewatching this and Clark is sooooo adorkable in this first season. While Tom was 24, he did look like he could be a 15-year old-they grew them farm boys big!😄😄

And he’s just so, so pretty with those chiseled cheekbones and blue blue eyes.❤️💕❤️💕❤️💕❤️ And Bo Kent is just soooo hawt.

Allison Mack is young enough that I can separate her from Chloe and still enjoy the character.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I’m rewatching this and Clark is sooooo adorkable in this first season. While Tom was 24, he did look like he could be a 15-year old-they grew them farm boys big!😄😄

And he’s just so, so pretty with those chiseled cheekbones and blue blue eyes.❤️💕❤️💕❤️💕❤️

He was the only reason I stuck with the show as long as I did. I will never be not bitter on how much better a Clark/Superman he could have been had the writers actually gave a crap.

Edited by Spartan Girl
Typo
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

He was the only reason I stuck with the show as long as I did. I will never be not better on how much better a Clark/Superman he could have been had the writers actually gave a crap.

Same. I stuck out to the BITTER end. I Think that's what you meant?

But alas, this show went on too long, the ridonkulousness of bringing Fake!Lois (Durance is the WORST Lois next to Kate Bosworth's), the absurd name of "the Blur", and everything else. Even in the early season dvds, Tom and others said this was a show about Clark. About the boy who would one day become Superman. But the whole LANALANALANALANALANALANAAAAAAA nonsense, and his schmoopy, moopy angst and his generally being a BDA (that's Big Dumb Alien, though Big Dumb ASS is also appropriate), he didn't earn that John Williams music at the end or to be Supes. And do NOT get me started on AI Zod Jor-El, who was the biggest asshole, to suddenly be this warm voice and tell Clark the past 10 years was his training to wear the suit, and look! He can FLY!

I'm fast forwarding all scenes with that twat, Lana.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm fast forwarding all scenes with that twat, Lana.

If only we could do it back then!

Yes, I meant bitter, stupid typos lol.

As bad as that version of Lois was, I would have been infinitely more pissed if the show rewrote canon completely and had BDA wind up with Lana, like another franchise I could mention.

Edited by Spartan Girl
On 1/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Something that’s always kind of bothered me was when Clark and Jonathan return to the farm in season three’s “Phoenix” (after superpowered Jonathan got Clark off the red kryptonite in Metropolis) and Clark apologized to Martha about being accidentally responsible for the miscarriage, Martha replies that they never blamed him.

Uh…maybe she didn’t, but Jonathan did. Did Martha not know about that little detail? Wouldn’t shock me if Jonathan felt so guilty that he deliberately kept her in the dark about it…in fact that was never even acknowledged until “Legacy” later that season. And honestly it drove me nuts that it took that long for Jonathan to own up to that. Not that I’m absolving Clark’s boneheaded decision to run away, etc, but still.

Okay, so I'm up to season 3 now, and even in "Exodus" after Clark blew up the storm cellar, Jonathan told Clark that actions have consequences. He didn't tell him he blamed Clark for Martha losing the baby. And Jonathan was right. But then again, I'm watching this on Hulu, and it sometimes doesn't air unedited episodes of shows. And even in "Exile" and "Phoenix" there was no mention or scenes where Jonathan blamed Clark for the miscarriage. Unless you mean him telling Clark that actions have consequences. 

But DAYUM! I mentioned this up thread, but an angry, red Kryptonite influenced Clark is a VERY SEXAY CLARK. That swagger in the premiere, Oh, My Stars! Along with the longer, messier hair.

And Lana is just the WORST.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, so I'm up to season 3 now, and even in "Exodus" after Clark blew up the storm cellar, Jonathan told Clark that actions have consequences. He didn't tell him he blamed Clark for Martha losing the baby. And Jonathan was right. But then again, I'm watching this on Hulu, and it sometimes doesn't air unedited episodes of shows. And even in "Exile" and "Phoenix" there was no mention or scenes where Jonathan blamed Clark for the miscarriage. Unless you mean him telling Clark that actions have consequences. 

I meant Jonathan lashing out at him at the hospital, and regardless of whether he was right about consequences, reading between the lines, that does constitute as blame. Jonathan owned up to as much in “Legacy”: 

Jonathan Kent: How'd you know to find me out here?

Clark Kent: When I'm searching for answers, I turn to my dad. I guess it runs in the family.

Jonathan Kent: Your grandfather was the stubbornest man I ever knew. And believe me, Clark, I wasn't nearly the son you are. My mother used to say that he and I were like watching two sides of the same coin duking it out. And I see the way you and Jor-El fight and I wonder if maybe fathers and sons were the same on Krypton.

Clark Kent: Except he's not my father. You are.

Jonathan Kent: Yeah... I am your father who turns his back on you when you need him the most. I am your father who forces you to run away. My father never would've done that.

I wish that had been brought up earlier in “Phoenix” at least instead of Martha hand waving it all away.

44 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Jonathan was...human. But there's guilt there and remorse for how he lashed out in that dialogue you posted above.

There was so much going on in "Phoenix" and I was too focused on how uberly HAWT Tom/Clark was, heh.

Cannot blame you there! It will never not piss me off that a pretty boy smokeshow like Tom has not had better luck in a post-Smallville career. What a waste.

• Love 1

Not just looks, but a pretty decent actor too, which became more noticeable as the show went on, especially when Clark was under the influence of a different version of krytonite, or when playing a different character like Bizarro, or when possessed by someone ("The crown is mine, bitch" always makes me chuckle).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Not just looks, but a pretty decent actor too, which became more noticeable as the show went on, especially when Clark was under the influence of a different version of krytonite, or when playing a different character like Bizarro, or when possessed by someone ("The crown is mine, bitch" always makes me chuckle).

Or in Season 4's "Transference" when Lionel took over Clark's body. Tom was just pitch-perfect, with John Glover's/Lionel's speech pattern, tone, and affect. I always laugh my ass off when "Clark" is hugging Martha, and he loses control of his heat vision, because gross Lionel had the hots for Martha.

• LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Or in Season 4's "Transference" when Lionel took over Clark's body. Tom was just pitch-perfect, with John Glover's/Lionel's speech pattern, tone, and affect. I always laugh my ass off when "Clark" is hugging Martha, and he loses control of his heat vision, because gross Lionel had the hots for Martha.

Or when he looks down his pants to see what Clark’s….equipment looks like, and it was apparently enough to impress the Magnificent Bastard! ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Edited by Spartan Girl

Man, do I miss my fellow TWoPers! I went back to read the comments about the show and I just love and feel so validated that I'm not the only one who detests Lana. Oh, the nick names! My two faves: "The Lana" and "Pink Menace" make me laugh so hard.

Before I vent again about how horrible she is, I have to say this, and it hurts my heart, but I was pissed at both Jonathan and Martha's hypocrisy after Alicia was murdered. Now, I was team Ma & Pa Kent when she showed up in "Obsession" because she did a very quick 180 into cray-cray, but she made Clark smile again. That wonderful endearing smile from season one Clark.

But when she came back, she had redeemed herself and I will forever be grateful that she let Chloe in on what Chloe had already suspected for some time. But how Jonathan and Martha tried to console him at the end of "Pariah" just made me want to bop them both. I get their anger, and I was pissed too, that she put the red kryptonite necklace on him, to get him to go to Vegas so they could get married.

But for a brief space of time, he wasn't about LANALANALANALANALANALANALANA.

Oh! And I will forever be sad that Annette and Christopher never shared scenes, as she was the Lana to his Clark in Superman III. Or that Genevieve (Jane Seymour) and Swann didn't have any scenes together or that Jane and John Schneider didn't (they were on Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman).

I finished up with season six premiere "Zod" and it always amazes me how they used Terrence Stamp's Zod being sucked out of Lex at the end there! And here we get Clark pining after Chloe in this season. That scene when Clark brings up "the moment", was just another frustrating redux of the season two premiere. It was soooooooo obvious that Clark was in love with Chloe, after the Lana Blinkers were ripped off*. I stated it up thread during each of my annual rewatches, this was the kiss in "Vessel" where Clark, sans red kryptonite, was fully engaged and participating!

Whaaaat?

And seriously? Chloe choosing that insecure derp "Jimmy" over the uberly gorgeous Clark? Riiiiiight.

*Well, until the Pink Menace started making googly eyes at Clark again and deciding she still loved him. UGH.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Before I vent again about how horrible she is, I have to say this, and it hurts my heart, but I was pissed at both Jonathan and Martha's hypocrisy after Alicia was murdered. Now, I was team Ma & Pa Kent when she showed up in "Obsession" because she did a very quick 180 into cray-cray, but she made Clark smile again. That wonderful endearing smile from season one Clark.

But when she came back, she had redeemed herself and I will forever be grateful that she let Chloe in on what Chloe had already suspected for some time. But how Jonathan and Martha tried to console him at the end of "Pariah" just made me want to bop them both. I get their anger, and I was pissed too, that she put the red kryptonite necklace on him, to get him to go to Vegas so they could get married.

But for a brief space of time, he wasn't about LANALANALANALANALANALANALANA.

Alicia had so much better potential only to get crazified then fridged. It was good to see Clark be into a character that wasn’t Lana. I mean, couldn’t the writers have had him just put Lana behind him for more than a few episodes, and just take a good long look to see what else was out there? I refuse to believe that no other girls in Smallville would NOT want to try to hook up with a guy with those cheekbones, salmon lips, and a god bod.

God forbid for Clark to, you know, enjoy being single instead of have morose scenes of him bouncing that stupid ball in the loft. Clark, you have a perfectly good dog to keep you company—trust me, sometimes they’re much better than love interests. They don’t whine about secreth and lieth.

Do not get me started on Jimmy. That whole post-Davis/Doomsday “Henry James” reveal was just 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I'm slammed at work today, but UGH!UGH! I forgot how Clark regressed at the halfway point, after "Labyrinth"  and was back to LANALANALANA. 

But: Helllooooo Oliver Queen.😍

And Lana is just the worst. I mean the WORST. She makes Googley schmoopy eyes at Clark when she's DATING Whitney (and that relationship is beyond squicky even when it premiered: a 14 year old Freshman dating an 17/18 year old senior-and how long had it been because they were already a couple and it was the first day of high school for her, Clark, Chloe, Pete; and the RIDONKULOUSNESS that the Pink Menace would be Homecoming Queen instead of a Junior or Senior); When she's with Jason--another hottie, and again older guy, and who at first was a good guy, she's still making schmoopy eyes at Clark (I think they deep-sixed his character and had him do a 180 because the pilot for Supernatural had been picked up); when she's finally with Clark, the hypocritical ass is LYING to Clark and keeping sekriths from him and making eyes at Lex; another icky relationship. Then she turns into a stepford girlfriend, and tells Clark how she doesn't know "how she could ever have loved [him]" in season six, only to start making schmoopy eyes at him halfway through the season. And Bitch wants Chloe to tell HER Clark's secret?🤬🤬🤬🤬

Unlike others, here and on TWoP, I never had a problem with Clark's lying about his secret: his powers/who he was, and so never saw him as a hypocrite or a villain. a BDA? For sure. Wanting to drop kick his ass over his LANA Obsession? Without a doubt.

But the kicker for me is, this was supposed to be a show about a young boy, Clark Kent, who would one day grow up to become Superman. And it had potential. But ALMiles and then those uber asshats Souders and Peterson, just RUINED IT. Their Clark Kent is a one semester college dropout who gets hired at The Daily Fucking Planet? Along with another not even one semester expelled college dropout LoisTheWORSTLane? A Lois who wrote for a tabloid, slept with her BOSS, the new editor of The Daily Planet, even if he turned out to be a Julian clone, to get the choice assignments? Before the ASSHOLES lightswitched the character to match up to comics for the final season? And when we all KNOW she was sloppy seconds, because if not for her being a Kryptonite filled body, Lana was Clark's FIRST choice. UGH.

I so much prefer Bruce Timm's Lana Lang from Superman: The Animated Series, who was the one who crushed on Clark and knew his secret since high school, because he TOLD her. It doesn't help that Kreuk is a LOUSY actress. And looked like a CHILD the first three seasons.

And I don't care how CHEESY it was, I loved the HEROES walk in "Justice" with the music featuring Clark, Ollie/Green Arrow, Bart/Impulse, Victor/Cyborg, and Arthur/Aquaman. I gotta find that theme music!

@BkWurm1, if you're still around, your thoughts?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Unlike others, here and on TWoP, I never had a problem with Clark's lying about his secret: his powers/who he was, and so never saw him as a hypocrite or a villain

Nor did I. It's too bad Clark didn't just grow a spine and tell Lana and Chloe (before she found out I mean), "You know what? It's MY private business. MINE. Nothing to do with you or anyone else. If it did, I would tell you. If you want me to respect your privacy, then start respecting mine, or leave me alone. Your choice."

I did love Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen. God, he was hawt.

Lord, reading your recap of the Lois character arc, it really was a mess. I wish that the writers had just kept out out of the show until Clark at least started working at the Daily Planet--or they could met at Metropolis University as college students majoring in journalism (and with him beyond well beyond done with Lana) and just did their hate-to-romance slow-burn that way. At least that would have been more like canon. Ughhhhhhhh.

Edited by Spartan Girl
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Lord, reading your recap of the Lois character arc, it really was a mess. I wish that the writers had just kept out out of the show until Clark at least started working at the Daily Planet--or they could met at Metropolis University as college students majoring in journalism (and with him beyond well beyond done with Lana) and just did their hate-to-romance slow-burn that way. At least that would have been more like canon. Ughhhhhhhh.

Al and Miles were just so gross. They wanted Lois to show up while Clark was still in high school. Their version of Lois was such a fucking loser. Chloe was the one who EARNED the right to write for the Planet, and she got fucked over but good.

Plus they cast a horrendous actress, who just grated, as well as the character-obnoxious and overbearing.

God YES! Justin was a great HAWT counterpart to Tom; Tom, with his ever changing blue eyes to green to blue, and that dark hair, with Justin's more lean build, blonde and brown eyes.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God YES! Justin was a great HAWT counterpart to Tom; Tom, with his ever changing blue eyes to green to blue, and that dark hair, with Justin's more lean build, blonde and brown eyes

Water Bottle Reaction GIF

• LOL 1
(edited)

I was recently randomly watching season 3 (I do this sometimes). Anyhow, I probably thought this out way to much but it always bothered me. why didn't Clark just tell part of the truth instead of lying all the time.

Like when everyone asked why he left. He could have been partly honest, instead of "I won't tell you". He could have said his birth father wasn't how he'd thought he'd be and yes he found him. Then he was trying to figure out what to do about it on the night of Lex's wedding and blamed himself for what happened to the baby (and his parents). As they wouldn't have been there if he'd just gone to the wedding and while the storm shelter would have blown up (lie but got to add that in somehow) but nobody would have been hurt. And then of course he felt his parent blamed him (actually true). Then nobody would have questioned it and maybe even understood as they all have family issues lol.

Then as for the power thing. He could have said he was a meteor freak (again around season 3) to those he was closed too. Lana literally asks him and he could have just admitted something. He has super speed, the power he uses the most and is the most obvious. This would explain why that guy thought he killed him, he got out of the way in time as well as many other examples. And  all his sudden exits. He didn't say anything before as most of them go psycho and didn't want to be judged for it. Again, this was Chloe's fear later in the show. Obviously, he would still be lying about parts but at least people would stop asking questions or trying to dig stuff up. And it would be easier to explain how he did things. Got out of the way of Lex car, etc. Of course Lex would have still be Lex...

Anyhow what do you think?

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, blueray said:

Anyhow what do you think?

Why didn't Clark admit he was a meteor freak? Well, it turns out he was smart not to, because in "Extinction" when that fish freak tried to drown Lana, she called them ALL freaks and was disgusted. Plus, that busy body have to know every single part of your personal business and won't settle for just a part Pink Menace, wouldn't have been satisfied with nothing less than everything. And even in "Reckoning", the first time, stupid twat couldn't keep a poker face and tell Lex she knew nothing about Clark's secret. And even when he was human in the first two episodes, she was still conspiring with Lex to find SOMETHING about him, and lied, lied, lied to Clark when Clark was HUMAN.

Yeah, still hate the twat.

He finally had to tell Pete, and that took its toll.

• Love 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Why didn't Clark admit he was a meteor freak? Well, it turns out he was smart not to, because in "Extinction" when that fish freak tried to drown Lana, she called them ALL freaks and was disgusted. Plus, that busy body have to know every single part of your personal business and won't settle for just a part Pink Menace, wouldn't have been satisfied with nothing less than everything. And even in "Reckoning", the first time, stupid twat couldn't keep a poker face and tell Lex she knew nothing about Clark's secret. And even when he was human in the first two episodes, she was still conspiring with Lex to find SOMETHING about him, and lied, lied, lied to Clark when Clark was HUMAN.

I always wished that Martha had caught Lana when she was nosing around the loft snapping photos, and that she’d gotten her mama bear claws out and given her the smackdown she deserved: telling her that she had ZERO right to Clark’s private life, that her pancaked parents would have been ashamed of the person she became and that if she and Lex were going to mess with Clark she would take them both down herself.

Wouldn't that have been GLORIOUS?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

He finally had to tell Pete, and that took its toll.

Wow you really don't like Lana lol. To be fair, I don't really either.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. Couldn't stand this show's version of Lana OR Not!Lois.

Doesn’t it suck when a show takes a beloved canon character and siphons off all her best qualities to another character (possible an OC)? And then by the time they bring the actual character in, her character has been butchered beyond repair?

Yup. Smallville isn’t the only show that’s pulled that crap.

Though I have to say I lapped up every crumb of fanservice the show threw at us: the heroes’ team up in “Justice”, the flying in season 4, Perry White, Margot Kidder, Christopher Reeve, and those last minutes of the finale with John Williams’ score…

I wonder if the writers’ original plan was to have Reeve/Virgil Swann more often to mentor Clark (instead of jerkass Joe-El), and include a bit of the finale of Swann watching Clark make his superhero debut and smile because he knows.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I wonder if the writers’ original plan was to have Reeve/Virgil Swann more often to mentor Clark (instead of jerkass Joe-El), and include a bit of the finale of Swann watching Clark make his superhero debut and smile because he knows.

It was, but he died suddenly. And the irony, or rather, for me, the saddest and infuriating thing was, that Christopher just regained some feeling in his hands and feet, I think just before he died.

I wish we could have had more of Margot Kidder.

The BEST thing this show did was its portrayal of Lex, before those ASSHATS Souders and Peterson destroyed him. And it was all due to Michael Rosenbaum. And I will always love him for agreeing to return for the series finale.

And I always smile and giggle whenever I watch Justice League Unlimited’s “The Great Brain Robbery” when Grodd messes up the brain switch and we get Rosenbaum playing Lex! And this was during this show’s run!

Lex as Flash: “I have NO idea who this is.” When he removes Flash’s mask!

Me: 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
(edited)

Lol I keep forgetting he was JL Flash!

37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the irony, or rather, for me, the saddest and infuriating thing was, that Christopher just regained some feeling in his hands and feet, I think just before he died.

Same. And then there was this commercial that aired four years before his death, the year before Smallville started:

Can we just live in that universe instead?!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

😍

And Lana is just the worst. I mean the WORST. She makes Googley schmoopy eyes at Clark when she's DATING Whitney (and that relationship is beyond squicky even when it premiered: a 14 year old Freshman dating an 17/18 year old senior-and how long had it been because they were already a couple and it was the first day of high school for her, Clark, Chloe, Pete; and the RIDONKULOUSNESS that the Pink Menace would be Homecoming Queen instead of a Junior or Senior)🤬🤬🤬🤬

@BkWurm1

Not a junior or a senior, but a senior, period. That's how homecoming works. You have freshman attendant, A sophomore attendant, a junior attendant, and several senior attendants from which the king and queen are chosen from. Underclassmen aren't even eligible, just seniors. I know the will be someone chiming in w/ some random story about a tiny private school that doesn't follow these conventions, but at 99.9% if the high schools in this country, that is how it works.

But this isn't just an issue w/ Lana. The writers generally appeared to either not know or care how high school works most of time. Chloe is the editor the school paper from the first day of he freshman year, it appears. I don't care how into journalism she is, that is ridiculous. Pete and Chloe are both driving by the end of their freshman year(and based on Chloe's later tombstone, she was definitely too young). Clark and  Pete want to tryout from the football team... the week of the homecoming game? Two problems w/ that. 1. There is virtually NO high school in this country where you have to "try out" and make the football team. Football is a numbers game, if you want to be on the team you show up to workouts and practice, and they will take you, even if you are awful and will never touch the field in a game. They need practice bodies. 2. That said, you can't just show up the week of a game and join the team. The seasons started. The team has been practicing for at least a month, gone through summer camp/ 2 a day practices. You can't just join whenever you feel like it.

There's a list a mile long of this stuff. 

• Love 3

Among the many plot points about Lana that sucked, Clark’s whole angst about him being supposedly responsible for her parents deaths was stupid and unnecessary. Clark, YOU WERE A BABY. Krypton blew up, and the pieces fell on Earth with your spaceship. It was a freak accident that was nobody’s fault. You can’t control gravity—defy it, yes, but not control it. Get a grip.

See, this is where Swann or at least a very good shrink could have done wonders. Somebody needed to sit Clark down and flat-out ask Clark what was it about the Pink Pestilence he found so wonderful that didn’t involve his own projections of romantic fantasies. Maybe then we could have gotten less of the BDA and more of the Man of Steel.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

Not a junior or a senior, but a senior, period. That's how homecoming works. You have freshman attendant, A sophomore attendant, a junior attendant, and several senior attendants from which the king and queen are chosen from. Underclassmen aren't even eligible, just seniors. I know the will be someone chiming in w/ some random story about a tiny private school that doesn't follow these conventions, but at 99.9% if the high schools in this country, that is how it works.

But this isn't just an issue w/ Lana. The writers generally appeared to either not know or care how high school works most of time. Chloe is the editor the school paper from the first day of he freshman year, it appears. I don't care how into journalism she is, that is ridiculous. Pete and Chloe are both driving by the end of their freshman year(and based on Chloe's later tombstone, she was definitely too young). Clark and  Pete want to tryout from the football team... the week of the homecoming game? Two problems w/ that. 1. There is virtually NO high school in this country where you have to "try out" and make the football team. Football is a numbers game, if you want to be on the team you show up to workouts and practice, and they will take you, even if you are awful and will never touch the field in a game. They need practice bodies. 2. That said, you can't just show up the week of a game and join the team. The seasons started. The team has been practicing for at least a month, gone through summer camp/ 2 a day practices. You can't just join whenever you feel like it.

Oh Absolutely. It drove me nuts that here's the first day of school for them as FRESHMEN, but Lana is already this popular cheerleader on the squad, that she decides in the third episode is too shallow and drops out? And of course Chloe also being the editor for The Torch. What? Did she collect all her clippings from elementary/middle school and add it to the Wall of Weird at The Torch's office?

As for the driving, I've read/been told that it wasn't unusual for those who lived out in the Midwest/farms, drove before getting licenses.

Riiiiiiight.

So I just finished season six, and I absolutely refuse to believe the words coming out of Clark's mouth about the Pink Pestilence being his twu wuv; not when I have scenes of him telling Chloe how she means more to him than she realizes; or how he's her personal one man bomb squad in "Freak" and just so many more scenes and episodes. Fucking insulting.

But I absolutely love the final scene in the finale, when Phantom Bizarro's face goes all blue/gray and cracked like...BIZARRO!!! You can tell Tom has so much more fun playing against character (except in early season one), when Clark gets to be "bad" or when he's on red Kryptonite. Even in "Crimson" when he's telling Lois his secret, I laugh at his dismissal of Ollie and how he can do so much more impressive things.

But I will FOREVER be PISSED that ALL the writers, ALL of them, because not a single one, thought it would be unbelievable that college dropouts Clark and Lois, would be investigative journalists. It's a fucking insult to canon/source material. I get wanting to put your own twist, but not changing the CORE character.

And UGH. I keep forgetting we get Kara in Seven. Blech. My finger is getting quite the workout with the marathon watching, which is going by much quicker.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

@GHScorpiosRule I never even WATCHED the Kara stuff. I was kind of in and out those seasons due to night classes. 

Can I ask what the point was portraying Jor-El and the Kryptonians as evil conquerors in season 2/3 when the writers were just going to retcon it all away at the end? Goes completely against canon! Krypton was always an advanced civilization, which made its downfall all the more tragic. That was the mythology of Superman, which added poignancy that his S symbol on his chest meant “Hope.” It also kind of ruined the Professor Swan/Christopher Reeve episode: the first time I watched it, I was so sure that the Big Dumbass Alien misinterpreted the “god among men” bit of the message. I was screaming “THATS NOT WHEN THEY MEANT, YOU MORON!” but apparently I was wrong. Stupid writers.

• Love 1