Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson - General Discussion

• Start Topic

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/craig-ferguson-leaving-late-late-show/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CBS is down one more late-night host –  Craig Ferguson just announced to his studio audience that he would not be re-upping his contract to host Late Late Show and will step down in December.

“CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,” Ferguson said in the announcement, which immediately triggered speculation as to who would replace him.

Not a huge surprise, but he'll be missed.

Let the replacement speculation begin. Again.

Bummer indeed. Any suggestions for some great last guests?

Kristen Bell of course. Monique, Russell Brand, Louis CK, SHIRLEY MANSON! PLEASE, Emmy Rossum, Stephen Fry, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Aidy Bryant, Kate McKinnon, I forget her name, but they joked about how he carries an extra dollar if he needs to get out of a jam, good banter between them.. Carrie Brownstein, Betty White of course, Minnie Driver, Charlyne Yi.. More to come.

I hate this.  He was the one interviewer I always thought was worth watching.  I'll miss having him daily. 

If Chelsea Handler replaces him, I'll weep.  I want to support a female or POC late night person but she annoys me.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I predicted Letterman, I predicted Colbert, I predicted this. But I just can't figure out who the replacement is going to be. I'd love to see a woman, but please, not Chelsea. Possibly Drew Carey. I'm thinking back to the original "auditions." I could see DL Hughley or Aisha Tyler (whose name I heard thrown out on NPR last week).

ETA: I had Chris Hardwick high on the Letterman replacement (which seems crazy now). I'm not seeing it here at all, but you never know.

Edited by LJinNashville

Variety's piece on this exit :

Craig Ferguson is relieved — he’s been wanting to let people know of his plan to move on from “The Late Late Show” for months.

The CBS latenight host also is resigned to the fact that few people will believe his assertion that he began thinking about ending his run on the show as long as two years ago, but he re-upped after CBS persuaded him to stick around a little longer. Early this year, he began laying the groundwork for his exit, before he had any idea that Letterman was preparing to announce his plan to retire in 2015.

“It wasn’t contentious. I was just like, ‘I feel like I’m done,’ ” Ferguson told Variety. “We were all fine and were tying up loose ends. And then Dave surprised everybody with the (April 3) announcement and that threw a spanner in the works. And I had to sit and keep my mouth shut while speculation raged wildly.”

Ferguson initially planned to sign off this summer, but CBS asked him to stay until December to give them more time to set a replacement. Ferguson agreed because it gives his staff and crew more time to find new gigs.

“It’s an inevitable thing when David announced his retirement, people are going to say ‘Oh he’s leaving because of that.’ No matter what I say or what I do, they’re gonna say that. Well they can say what they like. It’s America. I understand.”

The simple fact is, Ferguson wanted to move on before the work became a chore. He’s proud of the show and how oddball it is — with a robot skeleton and stuffed horse for sidekicks. But he has “ideas” for new things and is engaged with the various projects that his Green Mountain West production banner is developing for Science Channel and Discovery. And he’s got a new gig starting in the fall as host and producer of the syndie gameshow “Celebrity Name Game.”

“Ten years is a very long time in one job — for me,” he said. “I wanted to leave the show before I stopped enjoying it. That was my goal. I didn’t want it to be a chore….The whole idea is that show business should have some adventure to it, I think. It’s not about knowing what you’re doing day in and day out, year after year.”

Another latenight talk show is highly unlikely, despite the vacancy that’s about to open up at Comedy Central when “The Colbert Report” wraps. “I don’t know if I would ever do a latenight talkshow (again). It just doesn’t feel like that’s the way I’m headed,” he said.

Ferguson reiterated, as he has in interviews over the years, that taking over the 11:35 p.m. slot from Dave was never his ambition. But again, he accepts that people will view this as a he-doth-protest-too-much situation.

“I had no desire — none — to do that job,” Ferguson said. “I could barely keep it together at 12:30, never mind 11:30. Nobody wants to hear it. It’s so bizarre. People want it to be Jay and Dave or Jay and Conan or some kind of big story. That’s not me, that’s not what I want. I think what happens is that certain people want you to want it, and they want you to not get it. If that makes ‘em happy, well…It really wasn’t what I aspired to. Doing this job wasn’t something I aspired to, either. I kind of fell into this.”

But what about the reports that Ferguson’s last contract included a clause that calls for him to see an eight-figure payout if he was not chosen as Letterman’s successor? Ferguson paused, and then cited words of advice from a seasoned Scottish comedian, Johnny Beattie, who befriended him years ago.

“He told me, ‘There’s two things we never discuss: Wages and ages.’ So I think I’m gonna stick to that.”

• Love 1

I am truly sad about this. Craig as always handled the announcement with his usual charm and grace.  I too hope Chelsea Handler is not his replacement. She annoys me to no end. Craig was my go to insomniac friend.

Bummer indeed. Any suggestions for some great last guests?

Michael Kitchen who stars in the UK show Foyle's War that he's been talking about lately. Kristen Bell, Ariel Tweto, Karen Gillian, Matt Smith, Peter's Capaldi.

As far as replacements, I'd like Chris Hardwick, maybe Aisha Tyler. I think however, an unknown or lessor known comedian would be better. No one else truly comes to mind as someone I want keeping me company late at night.

For me this is far worse news than Dave stepping down (although I think there's been a sense that Craig was tired of it, and also that CBS likely would push him out soon anyway, even before Dave stepped down).

As far as replacements, I'd like Chris Hardwick, maybe Aisha Tyler. I think however, an unknown or lessor known comedian would be better. No one else truly comes to mind as someone I want keeping me company late at night.

Hardwick has his time and place, but I'd HATE to see him in a job like this.  His "hey guys, I'm a regular guy/nerd like you" is too similar to Jimmy Fallon's aw-shucks shtick anyway.  

Aisha Tyler has been totally mucking up Whose Line, so I don't want to see her either.

Despite Tyler totally NOT being up to the job IMO, and Chelsea Handler not really seeming like the best alternative either, clearly there's a pretty good chance CBS could try and dodge the "too many white guys in late night" thing.  Speculating along those lines, someone like W. Kamau Bell probably would come off a bit intimidating to conservative late night audiences.  Even D.L. Hugely might.  But it makes me wonder about someone like Hannibal Buress, 

A crazy thought/risk could be Sarah Silverman (and it would be ironic given her past relationship with Jimmy Kimmel).  While she's a dangerous comic, nevertheless in a way she's also probably easier for some to accept because (as crass as this is) well... she's a looker.  And it's not like she hasn't compromised before, being you know... in a Disney movie.  She DOES know how to tone it down, when properly motivated, I mean.

I know ideas like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were bounced around the net at points, but they seem unlikely.  Fey is WAY too busy a,) doing the Mommy thing and b.) writing and producing (even if not starring in) apparently three or four upcoming shows.   Poehler could have worked, but it seems like she's got another season committed to Parks & Rec, at the very least.  Amy Schumer is another idea using a currently hot female comedian, except she's basically the same issues as Sarah Silverman, but with less overall fame.  I know Kristen Schaal was someone people on the net even suggested at one point for Letterman's spot, and that would never have worked, but I DO wonder if she might work at 12:30.  Then again, I don't know if anyone knows if she could do what she does night after night.

Years ago, Wanda Sykes name might have come up as a possible.  I no longer think that's even a possibility.  

Ellen Degeneris would have only worked at 11:30, if she'd even be able or willing to leave her daytime empire.

That's about all the thought I have on this so far.

Two more.

Mo’Nique's name was actually bounced around a bit for 11:30, even if it was never all that realistic.  But it might be at least possible for 12:30.  And unlike Aisha Tyler she's actually funny.

Nick Cannon is another that occurred to me, although he may have pissed off a lot of insecure nitpicky white folks lately (because he did a "white face" routine to promote his latest album).  But he's high profile, and a great host.  He's kind of like... what if Arsenio wasn't old as dirt, and actually semi-hip.

I have no idea if she would be interested or capable, but if you had any interest whatsoever about keeping a wackadoodle vibe in that time slot my nominee would Amy Sedaris.

Incidentally, she has a connection with Colbert and if Letterman still has any pull at CBS I believe he's done business with her aside from appearing on The Late Show.

[EDIT: My crack research staff tells me Worldwide Pants (Letterman's production company) produced the film version of "Strangers with Candy" starring Amy Sedaris and Stephen Colbert]

Edited by kib
  • Love 3

I am a bit sad, but not surprised. Craig hasn't seemed as into it the last couple of years. I wouldn't say he was phoning it in and the show has done some new skits and I loved when they went to Scotland. I will miss the oddness of the show, Geoff Petersen and Secretariat. Also that kitten and Craig's interviewing style especially with certain women and Scotsmen. It takes a lot for me to invested into a talk show so I'm not sure I'll stick around given the names.

• Love 1
Even D.L. Hugely might.

D.L. is not gonna happen, He's been saying some pretty douchey things lately. Most recently his awful rant about Columbus Short's wife calling the police and filing for divorce. 

Amy Sedaris would be a perfect fit and if CBS wanted a woman in that slot to break the mostly white male streak that late night tv has going on she would definitely work. She also has enough of an off beat sense of humor that she might be able to hold onto Craig's fans. 

I honestly thought Ferguson would stay since CBS build him a new studio just two years ago, but without Letterman and doing this for 10 years, I think he wanted to move on and I respect him for that. I hope when Celebrity Name Game airs, he gets Geoff and Secretariat on and have Kristen Bell show up a few episodes.

As for Ferguson's replacement, anyone is a candidate (except Chelsea. That's how bad her PR was the past month). I like Neil Patrick Harris on the 11:35 slot...but not 12:35. I heard mixed reaction for Aisha Tyler. On the one hand, she has hosted shows and I believe was one of "experiment hosts" with the LLS in 2004 before the gig went to Craig. She can be funny, but the downside is she isn't too funny (from an unscientific poll, i.e. Twitter, comments). Not sure if that's a requirement to be really funny because CBS loves interviews and conversations in their talk shows, so she has a good shot. 

I can see Amy Schumer, Amy Sedaris, a return (of sorts) of D.L. Hughley or Michael Ian Black, Billy Eichner. Anyone is fair game and more wide open. Now, I wonder CBS will ask Peter Lassally for his recommendation like he did with Letterman when he selected Ferguson? 

God, I will miss Craig SO MUCH.  His show was literally our night-cap every night.  No one, in my opinion, can replace his wit and kindness and silliness and honesty.  PLEASE please NO Chelsea; she stinks! 

• Love 2

D.L. is not gonna happen, He's been saying some pretty douchey things lately. Most recently his awful rant about Columbus Short's wife calling the police and filing for divorce. 

Amy Sedaris would be a perfect fit and if CBS wanted a woman in that slot to break the mostly white male streak that late night tv has going on she would definitely work. She also has enough of an off beat sense of humor that she might be able to hold onto Craig's fans. 

I was saying he wouldn't get the job, not that he would (I was comparing him to W. Kamau Bell, who also has no chance at it).

Edited by Kromm

I have no idea if she would be interested or capable, but if you had any interest whatsoever about keeping a wackadoodle vibe in that time slot my nominee would Amy Sedaris.

Incidentally, she has a connection with Colbert and if Letterman still has any pull at CBS I believe he's done business with her aside from appearing on The Late Show.

[EDIT: My crack research staff tells me Worldwide Pants (Letterman's production company) produced the film version of "Strangers with Candy" starring Amy Sedaris and Stephen Colbert]

Great minds. As soon as I heard about Craig leaving, I immediately thought "Amy Sedaris! They (CBS) are going to want someone that meshes seamlessly with Colbert."

Aisha Tyler would be okay. Joel McHale too (but I want Community to keep going still).

Great minds. As soon as I heard about Craig leaving, I immediately thought "Amy Sedaris! They (CBS) are going to want someone that meshes seamlessly with Colbert."

Amy will be on Letterman tonight, so this could be a try-out of some sort.

Amy will be on Letterman tonight, so this could be a try-out of some sort.

I believe she's been on Letterman dozens of times though.  They certainly have to know by now if she can hack talk show talk. 

I'd definitely watch for Amy Sedaris. She is a favourite of Letterman and has been on his show a lot. Does she want a talk show gig? It would be really amusing if she did it because her and Stephen Colbert are old friends and collaborators.

• Love 1

The "bleeping" with flags and foreign phrases has gotten an extra level of amusement with the ad campaign for IHOP that starts out with someone saying "ooh-la-la" - last night one of those ads came on not 30 seconds after Craig had been ooh-la-la'd.

Must be some damn fine pancakes :)

• Love 3

I like Aisha Tyler. The vibe with her and Wayne Brady on Whose Line is very funny. But I don't think Aisha would do it since she also hosts the Talk every day.

I hope when Celebrity Name Game airs, he gets Geoff and Secretariat on

Craig said on a recent show, "Wherever I go, my friends go with me" while pointing to Geoff and Secretariat, so that seems like a good sign. If so, I will check out his game show.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm still a sucker for all those wonderful musical openings. Here's a bunch of them:

Well, damn it it all; I'm having trouble posting the link to the playlist. Let's try again. I'll just post direct links to some of my faves.

This song is just so much fun.

Don't you hate when you get to work all tired and grumpy and find out they've started the party without you? There's nothing to do but take off your coat and hat, put down your Hannah Montana lunchbox and start dancing.

Craig is a hilariously ratty pirate. The hook flying off stage right doesn't slow him down at all.

Craig as Simon Le Bon? Believe it. And what's a song about cocaine without a coked-up lead guitarist?

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not sure how many links I can put in one post, so I'll split them up.

This is about the only time "Sir" Paris Hilton hasn't aggravated me.

He's just having so much fun here.

Craig unleashes his big fat over-the-top inner Gypsy.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

Thank you sooooo much for posting all of these, riley702!  It brightened up my evening.  And at the same time makes me sad that Craig will be leaving soon...   I saw him at Carnegie Hall and he ended the concert with Oops! I Did It Again - it was wonderful!!

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG! I almost forgot this one! Not a Rosie fan, but Craig in a dress and heels (nice legs!) and those lips is not to be missed!

Edited by riley702

My favorite moments are when Craig cracks up. I remember when Tom Selleck showed up to flog his latest TV movie with the worst clip in history and Craig just loses it. I was laughing so hard I was crying.

• Love 1
(edited)

My favorite moments are when Craig cracks up. I remember when Tom Selleck showed up to flog his latest TV movie with the worst clip in history and Craig just loses it. I was laughing so hard I was crying.

I'm so glad CBS hasn't managed to yank that yet.  That's freaking HILARIOUS.

I wonder what drugs the person from the production company and/or the network who sent that clip to the show was on.  It's a cute dog, but man.... I HOPE maybe it was sent AS a joke, actually.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

So many of those musical cold opens ruled.  This one is memorable though, not only because its a great one, but also because it was Geoff Peterson's first appearance.

It's hard to believe that Geoff, as awesome and ever-present as he is now, has only existed for four years!

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

I wonder what drugs the person from the production company and/or the network who sent that clip to the show was on.  It's a cute dog, but man.... I HOPE maybe it was sent AS a joke, actually.

It reminds me of every time Paul Rudd appears on Conan O'Brien's talk shows, and no matter what movie he's promoting, they cut to the same clip from Mac and Me instead...only this Tom Selleck clip was for real, which made it that much funnier!

• Love 1

I'm going to miss this show.  I would have thought that Colbert would have been a better lead-in for him, and that his ratings might have improved.  Letterman has been phoning it in for the past couple of years, so that hasn't helped things for me.

I was always guaranteed a good laugh from Ferguson's show and I'll miss that.  My body, though, will probably appreciate being able to go to bed earlier during the week, because none of the suggested names so far would make me stay up late to watch them.

Wow. Well, Tom's already got Awkward Pause covered in that clip.

• Love 2

I've enjoyed Craig talking with Ariel Tweeto, Kristen Bell, Alyssa Milano, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Stephen Fry.

I like that he has on authors and respects their work, whether he's read, half-finished or hasn't read the particular book they are promoting. Craig is best with smart folks- not matter who they are- that have a sense of humor about themselves and talk shows. It does seem that once actresses start talking and they see he's just being a goober, that they loosen up.

Craig and Mr. Fry could talk for a week's worth of shows and I would be entertained and informed- infotainment at it's highest.

I will miss the chances of travelling to Berlin, Norway, and anywhere in Africa with Craig as my guide! Craig and Lupita Nyongo would have been most excellent. As would Craig going to pilgrimage to Berlin and Kraftwerk's studio.  There were so many places that Craig expressed true interest in, that it is a shame that he wasn't allowed to travel more for CBS/ the show. I watched enraptured as he visited Paris and returned to Scotland! 

I will miss the Kitten, as well, when the show ends. (At least, with Craig.) I wouldn't want the Kitten to end anyone else's run. (I also miss the occasional Spanish version, too.)

Another gag I enjoyed was the tweetmail video introductions. I can't find a very old C&W version (yet!), but there were many to enjoy. ("Eurotrash and Eurolitter....)

• Love 1
(edited)

Super Happy Funtime Hour With Robot and Old Man is one they've been using a lot lately (it's actually an older bit they've seemed to bring back).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Jay Leno fly is really cracking me up.

Yeah, it seems like the only way Jay Leno is capable of cracking up some of us is in the form of a fly! (although both Letterman and Conan used to do pretty good impressions on occasion, that were usually at heart simply indecipherable whiny sounds, and I guess that's the basis of why Josh Robert Thompson developed it that way too).

Here's the first appearance, BTW, for those who haven't seen it, and of course once these boys notice a great audience response they ain't dropping it anytime soon!!!

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3