Type keyword(s) to search

Brother Vs. Brother - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I don’t usually watch BvB but did this time because it was local and I couldn’t help but laugh when they said they wanted to find houses in SF for $500K. Cut to me laughing even harder when they were like, “well, we found our houses almost an hour away from the city”. 

One of the houses was trying to appeal the “hip” buyers? Young hip buyers aren’t going to be moving to Pinole or El Sobrante....

Which made me wonder about Drew’s rental suite, though I loved the space. Could a home owner expect to attract renters that far outside the city?

No more talking about names, please.  In this show, the guys go by Drew and Jonathan.  It's fine if people want to refer to him as Andrew, because we know what they mean.  It's not derogatory, so there's no harm no foul.  

• Love 1

Holy cow was Drew's reno not to my taste.  That black fireplace completely overwhelmed the room, and purple wallpaper (I assume it's wallpaper) was ugly.

It was very sad they couldn't save all the hand painting.  Aside from the space, it was the most interesting part of Drew's house before.

• Love 3

I loved Jonathan's living room, and I loathed everything Drew did at his house.     I really hated that bizarre painting of the birds at Drew's, and the fireplace.    

I see no point in highlighting the original decorative paint at Drew's house, when it was going to be destroyed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

Holy cow was Drew's reno not to my taste.  That black fireplace completely overwhelmed the room, and purple wallpaper (I assume it's wallpaper) was ugly.

It was very sad they couldn't save all the hand painting.  Aside from the space, it was the most interesting part of Drew's house before.

I don’t understand why Drew had two rooms that served the exact same function. Did he have any other options?

• Love 1

I'm catching up, having discovered that I can watch all the seasons on HGTV via my cable provider (never watch cable TV).

I've done the current LA Hancock Park and then the SF one. LOVE Jonathan's SF house, BTW.

For me, the Property Brothers shows fall into a very select category of "shows that always destress me and make me feel better." This includes Chopped and Worst Cooks in America.

I love the dynamic that both brothers bring. They contrast (laid back vs up tight and more goofy vs more buttoned up) but they both share a dorky sense of humor and a genuine sense of good will. They play off each other very well and I find them delightful.

While both brothers have good eyes for design and space in general, I nearly always like Jonathan's aesthetic better.

In any event, I love to be transported away from everyday life into the world of design decisions.

Edited by ArtFossil
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Well, I was wrong about the alternating winners. 
Is Jonathan usually such a jerk? I occasionally watch the bros, but he’s rubbing me the wrong way on this series. Their brother is cute.

I totally disagree with the judges. Yes, Jonathan’ kitchen had more, but it also HAD MORE. it’s like he was trying to cram everything he could think of into that kitchen. First, two islands? How about maximizing your counter space and leave a little room for people to walk around? And I didn’t like all of those colors—sorry, not a fan of blue cabinets. That kitchen gave me a bit of anxiety. 

Drew’s is the kitchen I’d most want to have in my house. I can add my own color with decor. I don’t need a Rainbow Brite kitchen. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, topanga said:

I totally disagree with the judges. Yes, Jonathan’ kitchen had more, but it also HAD MORE. it’s like he was trying to cram everything he could think of into that kitchen. First, two islands? How about maximizing your counter space and leave a little room for people to walk around? And I didn’t like all of those colors—sorry, not a fan of blue cabinets. That kitchen gave me a bit of anxiety. 

Drew’s is the kitchen I’d most want to have in my house. I can add my own color with decor. I don’t need a Rainbow Brite kitchen. 

I remarked to myself that Jonathan’s kitchen was like an airplane hanger. To me it was too freakin’ huge. I was so glad that the beautiful ceiling in Drew’s dining room survived.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

This week I liked Jonathan’s product better, and he lost. I must be a jinx! I loved that blue-toned office and the powder room with the wallpaper (thought I would hate it but loved it).

The superhero costume and Drew’s photo shoot were funny.

• Love 3

I liked Jonathan's again, but Drew's was nice.     I enjoyed the prize of the superhero suit that looked like Jonathan's.   

I hate the giant copper tubs.   How does someone climb into them without hitting something sensitive on the edge of the tub?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I liked Jonathan's again, but Drew's was nice.     I enjoyed the prize of the superhero suit that looked like Jonathan's.   

I hate the giant copper tubs.   How does someone climb into them without hitting something sensitive on the edge of the tub?    

Jonathan had one of those tonight. I’m not short (5 ft. 5) but would want/need a step stool to get in it.

I knew they would have to be tied before the final challenge. I liked both but was glad Drew won because I liked his more. The chandelier in the walk-in closet was gorgeous, and I loved the reading room off the bedroom. I really like Jasmine. She installed a custom stove hood on her “Help! I Wrecked My House” last week, but it didn’t stick out like a sore thumb the way Alison Victoria’s custom hoods do. It was organic with the kitchen design.

• Love 3

I liked Jonathan's bedroom more, but I knew Drew's would win. Drew's bathroom had more WOW factor, but his entire bedroom was Fifty Shades of Beige. It bored me. How about a pop of color here and there, Drew? The closet was the only thing that wasn't beige. I guess I don't get the obsession that all these flipper shows have with white on white on gray on beige. Every single time, I think, "If they have kids or dogs, all that white is going to have to be cleaned constantly." 

• Love 5

It really doesn't matter who wins each week, since the real winner is the one who makes the most profit when they're appraised or sell, but it's fun for me to see the process, and each part of the house change.   I really enjoyed everything Jonathan did, except the kitchen wasn't my favorite.  

I liked Jonathan's bedroom this week, and the library section, but I think the bench was too narrow.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I watched the last two eps today and am glad Drew won them both. I much preferred the standalone bedroom over the Murphy bed in the ADU (though I think Jonathan's ADU had the better kitchen) and I agree with the judge that the media room and gym were better for the local market. (Though I noticed someone on the staging team said the magic words "movie night" and I had to wonder if that made the shades go down 😉)

Like Jasmine, I'm a sucker for hidden touches! and I seriously covet the TV in the footboard of the bed. Thought his actual reading room was so pleasant and would probably get much more use than Jonathan's "library hallway." The one thing I didn't get was the random chair and side table in the bathroom. Is that a thing? I guess I just don't need anybody keeping me company while I'm having a nice soakie 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Not having spent any time in a high end hotel, I didn't understand Drew's pass-through between bed and bath. What are you passing? Sure, in a hotel you might have forgotten your toothpaste/shampoo/razor etc from your suitcase. But in your own home? Liked his floor tile better but agree if you can fit a chair and end table, there's too much wasted space. I'm with Jonathan in that I've always wanted a library.

Jonathan's ADU looked a lot like the place they did for Brad Pitt's friend.

Totally! You know you watch a lot of HGTV and the Property Brothers when you can remember them repeating designs.

loved the color combo in Jonathan's kitchen. I'm so tired of white ... it looked fresh and fun. I didn't take tons of time to evaluate the use of space. 

In Drew's media room, I thought the couch was too close to the TV.  I know he wanted that walk-through area and the bar, but I think the room would have been better served with the couch up against the wall. There are measurements and guidelines to help you place and size a TV.

• Love 1

I don't normally like Drew's rooms but his designer was too notch this week on the extra beds and bathrooms for me. I like calm and subtle, Jonathan's were too loud and showy for me. It's not what I would want at the end of the day and time for rest. I also loved the little hidden attic room. 

• Love 2
On 10/8/2020 at 1:06 PM, Madding crowd said:

I thought Jonathan’s rooms were beautiful. I like color and different things than beige and gray.

Yes, I loved the owl room! 

As much as the Fifty Shades of Beige that most of the HGTV designers favor (stares hard at Joanna, who seems to have started the wave), I watched the show for the HGTV 2020 House Giveaway in Maine and HOLY CATS. TOO MUCH COLOR. The bright orange striped hallway? The entire house would give me a headache. Way to trash 100 year old character.

• Love 2

So the season winner  by a $200,000 margin is Drew.   I'm stunned.  Jonathan put in a pool, and I think did a much nicer house.    Drew made $1.4 million profit for his charity that fights hunger, when the house sold for $5,8 million.

Jonathan sold for $5.64 with a profit of $1.2 million.    This was also Jonathan's biggest profit ever.    I still like Jonathan's better. 

The one who makes the most money when the home is sold is crowned the winner. Profits will go to Turn Up! Fight Hunger, a charity that is a partnership between No Kid Hungry and HGTV parent Discovery, that will lead to as many as 100,000 meals. (Both house profits go to the charity, so $2.6 million donation). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Did one of the houses end up without a garage?

Jonathan's didn't (that I could see) because he built that guest house where the rotten garage was. 

I preferred Jonathan's house over all but if I was paying $5m+ I would require a garage. 

Still I liked the results of both houses. Plenty of interesting design choices with those massive budgets. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I still liked Jonathan's house better. The pool was so cool. A repurposed storage container? 

Drew's was also beautiful, but a way too bland color pallet throughout. I want some color! Maybe not Flip or Flop Vegas levels (reruns on this morning. Holy shit, I forgot some of her tacky design choices. The PINK kitchen cabinets in a black and white striped condo? Yikes). or the Maine house giveaway extremes (ORANGE. STRIPED, STAIRWAY.), but some color. 

I knew Jonathan had lost before the commercial break. The editors didn't cut away fast enough when he took off his blindfold and you could see his reaction. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Drew had the bigger house and lot. The only way for Jonathan to win would've been to cut way back on his reno budget. And then he wouldn't have won any individual challenges. Too bad since I much prefer Jonathan.

• Love 1

Team Jonathan here! While both are real estate brokers & general contractors their personalities lead them to embrace their strengths...JD for the win. He needs to be there to keep the twins in line. A few years ago they did a tour. I took my then 10yo grandson (who introduced me to the Property Brothers a few years before...). They say straight out that everything is a competition and has been their entire lives...Picking at & playfully undermining each other while cheering each other on is just their way of life...and they are like 6'5" 7th graders. I splurged on the meet and greet for the grandboy...who was star struck speechless...they were fabulous with him...shook his hand, thanked him for coming, hope he'd enjoyed the show, etc...which makes me a fan for life. I grew up in the El Sobrante/Pinole area...Drew's house is a block off the main drag in Pinole, closer to the freeway, but is in a small subdivision so more 'cookie cutter'. Jonathan's house, however is closer to the train & the freeway (on the other side of the valley). His house has the better view, is walkable to the high school, the neighborhood is transitioning and will always maintain it's eclectic vibe. The 1/3 acre property is zoned for horses...The house my parents bought (850 sqft on 1/4 acre) about 1/2 way between their houses for $8000 in 1951 is now appraised at $580k and needs work...it may have been expanded a little bit, but not much...

The comment from the LA Challenge that caught my interest was Jonathan's contractor teasing him about wanting the to buy the "House Next Door" to live literally next door to Drew & Linda..."That would be like having adult bunk beds. I want a life of my own".

'

• Love 5
On 10/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Drew's was also beautiful, but a way too bland color pallet throughout. I want some color!

I just binged this today and I have thoughts.  I loved the bold colors in Jonathan's guest/kid bedrooms but I'm guessing they don't get to keep the furniture picked out specifically for that room, right? The strength of Drew's choices was all about the selling value.  Jonathan would have to find a buyer who shares his aesthetic for those rooms and had furniture that would fit. If they need more than one kid room, they'd likely have to do some remodeling.  With Drew, all they'd need to do is paint.  With Jonathan, they'd need to pull down the wallpaper and then paint.

I liked things about both places; although I probably preferred the Chateau a bit more.  One thing did crack me up, though, was in the fifth episode when Orlando was looking at the guest bathrooms.  He remarked how it was a smart use of space to have the tub in the shower.  Most houses have a combined bathtub/shower area. 

• Love 1

There's a new Brother vs Brother! "No Rules"--no limitations on location, purchase price or budget and they both have different strategies. I enjoyed the first challenge (entry and living room) and hated Drew's room.

• Like 3

Yes! I hated Drew's room too! Way too busy and cluttered. Was not a fan of that lady swimming picture. Jonathan's addition of the powder room will add more value. Who doesn't love a stylish powder room that's not off the kitchen? Kendra didn't have much to add in the judging. But interesting that she guessed correctly who did which house while David got it wrong.

One thing that is driving me crazy is why does Jonathan have 2 car seats in his car? I noticed those seats in an episode of Celebrity IOU as well.

• Like 1

I think Jonathan went too modern for Alex.  And how does Drew make a large kitchen still feel cluttered? Those checkerboard tiles on the vent hood everyone loved looked like they were going to fall off.

• Like 1

I didn't care for Drew's living room either - it seemed very specific to who may or may not like it.  But it was better than Jonathan's!  What a snore fest!

Both kitchens were "meh".

On 1/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, Grizzly said:

Kendra didn't have much to add in the judging.

I always seem to want to cheer on Kendra but girlfriend is so obviously dim it makes it hard to.  She contributed nothing other than to say a million times how new she was to real estate.  I'm sure that career path is all for show which makes me wonder, who keeps giving her so many chances to be on t.v.?

This has nothing to do with anything but for as long as the twins have been around, I forever want to switch their names!  Drew just seems so much more a "Jonathan" and vice versa.  I always have to stop and think who's who. 

• Like 1

I thought both master bedrooms were kind of boring although I guess they are going for houses that will sell rather than great design. That one house has such narrow hallways I couldn’t imagine carrying furniture through. I think the show is more and more focused on the brothers pranks and rewards and I would rather see more design. 

• Like 1

The decorating can be changed. If I were paying millions of dollars for a house, I would a laundry room, not a laundry closet, which is why I would prefer Drew's house.  Truth be told, I am not in love with either house.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Hooray! Jonathan’s exterior was gorgeous and the interiors were smart and livable. (I hated Drew’s interior choices, except for the bathroom.)

Totally agree! Drew's taste in decor has really deteriorated. Especially that "shed" wallpaper, which would give me a seizure every time I went in there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Drew’s color choices inside were kind of bonkers. And the pink(?) checkerboard front steps were odd.

Did he overbuild for that area? They never really showed the other houses on that street. I wonder how out of place that $2,000,000 house might look there. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

People (rightly) critique Jonathan’s homes for being bland or predictable but I love them. I appreciate that his designs are always functional and pretty and often energy efficient. His houses don’t impose themselves on the occupants but instead are able to accommodate a wide range of personal taste. 

• Like 5
On 2/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, ArtFossil said:

People (rightly) critique Jonathan’s homes for being bland or predictable but I love them. I appreciate that his designs are always functional and pretty and often energy efficient. His houses don’t impose themselves on the occupants but instead are able to accommodate a wide range of personal taste. 

Yes, I liked Jonathan's house better, and I'm glad he won. 

Drew's house was very loud and somewhat tacky. Those ugly stairs, the checkerboard vent hood, and the "subtle" hand painted mural on the bedroom wall for example. I feel bad for the artist because I'll bet the new owners will paint over that thing. Not everyone wants trees and birdcages on their walls!

And will renovators please stop putting mini-golf/putting greens in backyards? I hated it on Flip or Flop, I hated it on Rock the Block, and I hate it here. Just put grass or mulch there and let homeowners decide what they want to do with that space.

• Like 1