Type keyword(s) to search

Seinfeld - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

Hoping someone can help me or let me know if I am just losing it.  

Doing a rewatch right now on Netflix.  Here's my question. I vividly remember a scene of Jerry in a public restroom and he's using the handicap stall.  While he's in there, a man in a wheelchair comes in and they talk through the stall to each other, with the man in the wheelchair obviously under the impression that Jerry is also handicapped based on his responses.   When Jerry comes out, there is some awkwardness (as per usual with the show). 

I cannot seem to find the episode this is in and it's making me seriously doubting my memory now, and my husband seems to think this never happened.  Does anyone else remember this or did I make it all up in my mind??

1 hour ago, sazey said:

Does anyone else remember this or did I make it all up in my mind??

You must be thinking of another show, as I don't recall that scene and I've seen this show numerous times.

3 hours ago, sazey said:

Doing a rewatch right now on Netflix.  Here's my question. I vividly remember a scene of Jerry in a public restroom and he's using the handicap stall.  While he's in there, a man in a wheelchair comes in and they talk through the stall to each other, with the man in the wheelchair obviously under the impression that Jerry is also handicapped based on his responses.   When Jerry comes out, there is some awkwardness (as per usual with the show). 

I cannot seem to find the episode this is in and it's making me seriously doubting my memory now, and my husband seems to think this never happened.  Does anyone else remember this or did I make it all up in my mind??

The closest I can think of is this from "Curb Your Enthusiasm"

• Love 1

Thanks, that is close, but haven't seen that one before (though funny!).  If this scene does exist, probably from one of the Seinfeld-knockoffs that were in the same Thursday block in the '90s, which is why I am mixed up. 

For the longest time I thought Seinfeld was overrated, and I didn't know why people liked it so much. This was after me watching scattered episodes here and there growing up. Recently, I decided to binge-watch the whole series and oddly enough, I found this "show about nothing" fascinating, especially George deciding to do things just because he'd gain a morsel of attention from it. 😆

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Watching the doll episode with the doll that looks like George's mom. 

This is one time he is 100 percent right. The doll is creepy even If it didn't look like his mom.  And sleeping with it..

No

Yeah, absolutely.  Susan was unreasonable.

• Love 2
On 11/22/2021 at 5:37 PM, sazey said:

Here's a few scenes from "The Butter Shave" where George pretends to have a handicap

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

As I said in the Celebrity Deaths thread, Estelle Costanza can at first glance seem like a broad character on a wildly popular sitcom that any actor could have succeeded at playing, but if you think about it at all, there's a deft touch required to knock it out of the park, and Harris was pitch perfect.

"What am I going to do with all this paella?!"

• Love 5
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Usually, I don't like it when actors scream & yell. But when Mr. & Mrs. Costanza screamed & yelled their lines? It was a work of art 😎.

I like yelling characters (as long as it's not abusive), but, yeah, they were particularly good at it.

I don't actually mind bugs, I just relocate them outside, but I still declare, "That's it, we're moving.  I will not tolerate infestation!"

I've also been known to shout "SERENITY NOW!"

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

OK...the Seinfeld show has totally ruined a word for me. Whenever I see it (usually at one of the NYS photo forums), I wanna scream, Estelle-style. That stupid word is "breathtaking".  Cue the ugly baby episode.

Well sometimes you say it just to be nice. 

• LOL 6

Did they edit all the early episodes to delete Philip Bruns and insert the new Morty actor (like they did with Jerry Stiller replacing the original actor playing "Frank Costanza")?

So sad about the two "moms". They were so credible as the mothers of Jerry & George.

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did they edit all the early episodes to delete Philip Bruns and insert the new Morty actor (like they did with Jerry Stiller replacing the original actor playing "Frank Costanza")?

So sad about the two "moms". They were so credible as the mothers of Jerry & George.

No, but according to IMDB Larry David wanted to but by the time it was discussed too much time had passed and it would have been apparent due to everyone aging.  

After George’s mom passed I was thinking about Jerry’s mom and how she’s the only one left from the parents so I’m sad she’s gone.  It’s also that thing of someone else from a show I watched during it’s original run years ago has died.   I loved her delivery of “Hello, Newman” when he showed up at Jerry’s door during the Schindler’s List episode.  They never said specifically what the deal was with Jerry’s inflection of “Hello, Newman” but I’ll bet it’s such an annoyance that she’s backed Jerry 100%. 

• Love 3

Jerry's mom was only in her early to mid 60s when doing that role. In real life. And really based on Jerry's age in life/ show probably not much different tv wise 

It seemed like they were so much older

Also just discovered she's my birthday twin April 10th.  Along with John madden, babyface, aj michalka and others. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I loved her delivery of “Hello, Newman” when he showed up at Jerry’s door during the Schindler’s List episode.

That was perfect.  Helen thinks Jerry can do no wrong - until she finds out about making out during Schindler's List - so if he's always complaining about this annoying neighbor, of course that guy's the worst.

• Love 4

Great video on all of the movie references on Seinfeld.  There are way more than I knew about.  I've seen the show a million times but definitely not all of these movies.  (Sorry if this was shared here already)

• Love 4

Well, I'll be! I only recognized a few of the similarities to movies while watching Seinfeld. Had no idea there were so many despite the sometimes overwrought (but funny) scenes. This was great--thanks! Seinfeld, David, and their writers were so creative. 

• Love 2

The more I watch the less I like Kramer. I remember my dad loving this show when I was a kid and I didn't find it funny at all. I didn't like it until I made it to high school and started catching repeats in syndication and found it hysterical. I used to watch it with my dad in the evenings and we would crack up and then Michael Richards had his racist tirade. I stopped watching Seinfeld all together. And then I watched and skipped all of his scenes. It's only in the last couple of years that I've been watching without skipping and only in the past week or so that I've been bingeing the whole series and I really can't stand Kramer. I don't get why anyone is friends with him. Especially Jerry. I just finished the episode about the keys. Jerry comes home with a date early from the movies. Kramer is in Jerry's house half naked with a date of his own and has the nerve to get mad at Jerry when Jerry demands his spare key back and then he practically has to beg Kramer to take the keys again. What a pill. 

• Love 4
On 4/18/2022 at 1:11 AM, hiisa said:

It's only in the last couple of years that I've been watching without skipping and only in the past week or so that I've been bingeing the whole series and I really can't stand Kramer. I don't get why anyone is friends with him. Especially Jerry. I just finished the episode about the keys. Jerry comes home with a date early from the movies. Kramer is in Jerry's house half naked with a date of his own and has the nerve to get mad at Jerry when Jerry demands his spare key back and then he practically has to beg Kramer to take the keys again. What a pill. 

I was doing a rewatch of the earlier seasons of the show. I still find the show funny and some of the jokes do hold up even now, but I can't binge it. The characters are funny but all of them are jerks so I can't watch ep after ep of it.

I think Kramer was an asshole but people seem to forget about it more because the other characters did more heinous or horrible things. My mother found Kramer hysterical because of his physical comedy but she didn't understand English. The actor did have a way with physical comedy that was almost universal. This likely distracted from his personality and acts.

If you look at Kramer's character, he is a horrible friend to Jerry and George. Kramer burnt down a cabin! It was even with a Cuban cigar that George had regifted to him from the owner of the home. Susan as a character was an odd one but strange how they glossed it over. In "The Airport", Kramer spent the episode trying to get some guy to admit an old petty debt and forces George to buy a plane ticket to get some refund later. Of course, it doesn't work out and George gets stuck on the plane.

• Love 2

On the flip side, virtually any favor a friend asks of Kramer, he says yes to.  He may wind up fucking up half of these favors as he carries them out, but there's something to be said for the fact his instinctual response is "Sure".

• Love 5

I retired last week and one of my farewell parties was Jeopardy! Seinfeld combining two of my favorite shows.  Needless to say I won, but there was a worthy opponent on the other team who knew Jerry’s address, apartment number, and what book Jerry never returned to the library.  But I knew the name of the sidler.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I retired last week and one of my farewell parties was Jeopardy! Seinfeld combining two of my favorite shows.  Needless to say I won, but there was a worthy opponent on the other team who knew Jerry’s address, apartment number, and what book Jerry never returned to the library.  But I knew the name of the sidler.

Wasn't the sidler a funny faced guy at Elaine's company, who would suddenly appear in back of her at different times?  I think I saw him dining at Valerie Bertinelli's house during one of her cooking shows. 

• LOL 2
53 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

So I'm watching some of the last episodes and I get to "The Puerto Rican Day." So out of curiosity, I look up the day and oh, look, it's today!

I get some of the episodes mixed up. Did those two gay tough guys tackle Kramer again (this time for not wearing the PR flag that day)? These controversial episodes were funny, but one also felt a bit uncomfortable laughing.

I loved the two part finale because they brought so many characters back. You don't see all of them in the reruns, just the ones sitting in the courthouse. But when it actually ran back in '98??...you could see these folks sitting at home on their couches, watching the trial on TV & loving every minute of Jerry, George, Elaine & Kramer getting their comeuppance. Some of the characters we hadn't seen in years.

• Love 2

I have been watching on, You Tube, the Seinfeld Seasons: Inside Look. It's hilarious. Brief interviews with the cast, writers, and/or producers re: how they came up with the story ideas, how they taped weird scenes,  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I've been doing a rewatch- on season 2. I still find this show funny. I feel like it's become fashionable for people to say how much they hate Seinfeld now, or how overrated it was. 

I still think when it was firing on all cylinders it was great, and miles superior to Friends. 

The lack of technology- cell phones, internet etx- really stands out to me for some reason though lol. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, cleo said:

The lack of technology- cell phones, internet etx- really stands out to me for some reason though lol. 

There was some mention of today’s technology in a couple of the later episodes - in the first scene of the last episode Elaine had a cell phone.  Jerry made a comment about email in the backwards episode.

I sometimes watch the marathons that Comedy Central shows on the weekends.  They recently showed “The Bubble Boy” episode where Jerry and Elaine are following George and Susan to the bubble boys house then the cabin and Jerry is using George as his directions but George is traveling way too fast for Jerry to keep up so he loses the car.  Watching it this last time I thought, if it were today he’d have either a GPS in the car or a smartphone with a GPS to help him, or maybe he’d still have to know the address, or at least call George to tell him to slow down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4