Type keyword(s) to search

SEAL Team - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I imagine the Navy can throw a speedy trial when they need to so I'll forgive the Hollywood time compression but I have a feeling there were some legal blunders along the way. Not sure if Legal Eagle is going to tackle this one or not. I noticed one witness who didn't end up getting asked any questions by the defense.

Full Metal has a name! According to IMDB, he's Scott Carter and as of this episode we finally see a nametag! I was starting to think Full Metal was his actual name.

I think I have figured Ray out. His loyalty is basically like musical chairs. He never has enough for everyone around him and someone always gets left out in the cold. This time it's his wife but who knows who it will be next week?

Interesting choice to not have the gun turn up. We don't know what happened to it (or what happened to the camera person who recorded the video of the team) but I admire them for choosing to leave it swept up in the chaos rather than coming back with a nice little bow around it.

Lindell is a straight shooter, I really like that about him. He could have ruined Jason but he set those little conflicts aside. Admirable.

• Love 4

Spoiler for April 21 The Guys New Boss is 

Jason Dohring

(Lt. CMDR Alex Whitshaw)  and he will be working  Davis on screen seems Seal Team Writers will have him as a love interest for Davis on screen

• Love 2
On 4/19/2021 at 6:29 AM, Artsda said:

‘SEAL Team’ Star David Boreanaz Urges CBS To Renew Drama For Season 5: “Let’s Keep It Going”

https://deadline.com/2021/04/seal-team-david-boreanaz-urges-cbs-to-renew-drama-for-season-5-1234736739/

Hopefully it gets another season.  I've been less interested in the show this season without Mandy.  I did not necessarily care about the romantic aspect, but she added a lot to the show and played well off the team. 

Edited by nittany cougar

Agreed. I wasn’t into the Romance with Jason but I did like her interaction with him and role on the team. I didn’t think I’d miss her as much as I do. 

Maybe a fifth season to finish it off. I’d love to see Jason leave and find happiness elsewhere. Right now his obsession with work and inability to sit still is just depressing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Maybe a fifth season to finish it off. I’d love to see Jason leave and find happiness elsewhere. Right now his obsession with work and inability to sit still is just depressing.

His inability to mention his younger child is annoying.  Look, Sonny and Davis found  time to take weekends away.  Jason doesn’t appear to have seen his son since he went to hockey school.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

His inability to mention his younger child is annoying.  Look, Sonny and Davis found  time to take weekends away.  Jason doesn’t appear to have seen his son since he went to hockey school.  

He did not have the excuse of spinning up on a moment's notice when he was reassigned.  Lindell, for any faults, urged him to take some time for himself, too.  

CBS is in a tough spot.  The show is rating poorly, but so is everything else they offer.  If DB can offer a significant reduction in production costs, while maintaining most of the mission action on screen, it would help CBS say, "Yes."

Maybe the best handling of the tolls of being a warrior I've seen in the series.   Papadakis seemed a little too perfect now, but his hard-earned wisdom was excellent.  I loved how he kept affirming Jason as a leader, albeit flawed like all men.  It was nice to see Jace being receptive to the messaging he was getting.  

Stella is too perfect now.  This can't last.  It's TV!

Why didn't Lindell have Davis come to his office to inform her of the SOCOM opportunity, as he did the Echo one?  Oh, that's right.  Jason needed to overhear it.  lol

Raise your hand if you think Soto will ironically save Bravo's bacon.  Now raise a hand if you think he will screw up something big for Bravo.  I can't decide.  Leaning to him working out.

What happened to the marksmanship on display at the top of the ep?  Again, the tangos got much closer to their position due to Bravo's lousy fusillade directed against them.  That was almost comical.  

• Love 1

Ray's wheel of loyalty continues to spin. Since Ray finds himself unable to admit that torture actually did affect him in a negative way, his family continues to catch the fallout from this. But he's not done yet! Once he gets onto the ship and has no family to disappoint for the next two months he decides to totally ignore Jason who is trying to help (albeit in his totally ham-fisted way). And I see no particular reason why Clay should offer him shelter. All the bullshit the team has been through over the past long while has been due to Ray. More is coming I am sure. All because Ray is too macho to take the help that is offered until and unless his life falls apart completely.

Sonny on the other hand... I like him. He's a nicely developed character. He's not just a knuckle-dragger and we know this because we've seen it. And he might think he's going to be a terrible dad but he's just having trouble seeing his own worth. He'll do fine and I look forward to seeing it.

He did miss out on a golden opportunity when he found out he was going to have a girl. I was expecting him to say something about teaching her how to shoot.

That crib decked out with all the tactical gear was hilarious. And the shark! They remembered! That was fun.

Stella had me worried for a minute that the deal with Levi's had fallen through but she was back to being a walking commercial for them by the end. Funny how this show seems to go out of its way to showcase her back pockets.

Full Metal actually had a line! Him and Trent and Brock are the real MVPs of the team. They're quiet and competent and they stay out of personal business.

Papadakis told Jason he should be more involved in the personal lives of his men but also told Jason that after he left the team he cut back on his drug use and showed him how he got his life in order, minus any of Jason's sage advice. So...

• Love 2

I feel like last night’s show was unrelated to anything we have seen before.

Why did Ray go from sleeping on the couch (why was he even sleeping on the couch) to sleeping at Clay’s?  And Naima is just rolling with this?  Or is Ray not going to have that nice new house to come back to.

Why is Clay?  He actually was the most consistent, with his sanctimonious judging and whining about having to leave with no notice.  He really is one of my most-loathed characters of any show right now.

Didn’t this series start with Jason having to go to therapy because the death of a teammate messed him up so badly?  And now suddenly he thinks of everyone as just a number doing a job?  That does not track.

Also dropping a dog off for two months with someone you haven’t seen in ten years doesn’t seem like the best idea, but Jason really has no civilians close to him.

On a show full of eye candy of all shapes and sizes, Brock is the eye-candiest.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Didn’t this series start with Jason having to go to therapy because the death of a teammate messed him up so badly?  And now suddenly he thinks of everyone as just a number doing a job?  That does not track.

We all know consistent character writing is up there for everyone on this show. Jason, who has no idea he has two children and could care less about his dog he's adopted, is a prime example of that. 

• Love 2

Did anyone understand why Naima had a giant wad of money in her purse?  I'm pretty sure she controls the finances in that house so if she was moving money to a new account for her and the kids, why wouldn't she just do that electronically?  Why would you ever have that much cash in your purse?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

Did anyone understand why Naima had a giant wad of money in her purse?  I'm pretty sure she controls the finances in that house so if she was moving money to a new account for her and the kids, why wouldn't she just do that electronically?  Why would you ever have that much cash in your purse?

I guess because it's possible for electronic accounts to be tracked. I took it as her wanting the cash if she felt unsafe enough to want to leave with the kids without warning. 

Agree with above that Stella is being shown as too perfect. She can't keep that up for too long. Wouldn't be shocked if Clay came home in the finale and she's gone or something.

• Love 2

Can the show please pick a lane for Sonny and  Davis?  It’s like we keep having to follow the ball at a basketball game.  Meanwhile Lisa breaks up with the love of her life and immediately drools over the next coworker in line.
 I want so badly to keep liking Ray, but his behavior continues to disappoint. However the show is  again doing an important service highlighting PTSD 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don't know if this is completely accurate, but both Futon Critic and SpoilerTV are saying the finale is on May 26, a week later than originally announced

I think it's because next week is preempted because the President is speaking Wednesday night. 

On 4/21/2021 at 3:14 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

CBS is in a tough spot.  The show is rating poorly, but so is everything else they offer.  If DB can offer a significant reduction in production costs, while maintaining most of the mission action on screen, it would help CBS say, "Yes."

Zap2it no longer do the cancel bear ratings website so I'm not really keeping up with ratings anymore but are the CBS ratings still huge? I always find CBS seems to be the hardest of the networks to keep a show alive.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:54 PM, Avabelle said:

Zap2it no longer do the cancel bear ratings website so I'm not really keeping up with ratings anymore but are the CBS ratings still huge? I always find CBS seems to be the hardest of the networks to keep a show alive.

Everybody's ratings have fallen hard in the last 2-3 years especially, and definitely during this Covid season. CBS's viewership is maybe better than some others (at times), but their 18-49 demos for their shows aren't really any better than the other networks

• Love 1

Soto is almost a cartoon character.  His speech to Spenser about growing into leadership was rich.  Tell it to the Cadets.

The harassment arc is too cute by half.  Davis never freaked/reacted when she first encountered the offender, but now she is ready to cut him.  Credit to DB for introducing the insidious nature of this very real problem in the military.  If it ends here with the Lt. backing off as he indicated in his appreciation to Davis, great.  Pretty sure it's just begun.

The enemy had exactly one grenade.  Again.

Overall, the ep worked because  Doctor Ngono was magnificent.  She's among the very best characters I've seen on the series.  Wise and capable and she had not lost her humanity.  I loved when she realized she had no good choices, so she may as well go with something that may help in the long term.  And every day, she comes back for more.  The world can't have too many of her.

• Love 1

Ray and Sonny are ridiculously overdo for reassignment from special ops.  

Davis being all offended for her known past getting in the way of removing a bad apple is interesting.  I wonder how a Board of Inquiry would have felt about learning of her assignations with an operator on the team she was with.  Lt. Commander "Logan" is a dirtbag and deserves sanction.  The systemic problem is sadly all too real.  But, Lisa, STFU.  You don't get to cherry pick righteousness.

I just didn't get why Bravo was tasked to have a thing to do with any hostages.  Sorry, Master Chief, you are to stand down on any rescues.  The supreme mission goal was to hack the comms.  Anything that could let Boko know the enemy hit their camp would have eliminated that source.  So, any contact with any prisoners and/or taking that one American,  would have poisoned the whole mission.  All that risk was for naught and the fabulous opportunity to get deep inside Boko ops was blown to smithereens.  Sorry, Command is not that stoopid.  Which leads me to Soto...

That guy is worthless.  Comms go out and he instantly grasps that it's a no-go.  He lets Ray make the decision to proceed, wordlessly.  A regular John Paul Jones, that one.  Like Blackburn, he knows good and dang well that Sonny's gotsta go and that Ray is not right.  Again, not to decide is to decide.  That's the Annapolis credo, right?

Having said that the mission was doomed to failure for allowing involvement with hostages, it was still super tough to see the horror those folks were going through.  I wish we had the means to save them all.  We just don't, and never will.  Evil's gonna win more than a few rounds.  The point is to win the fight (war), not the battles.

(edited)

Sonny is really suffering from self  esteem issues.  He didn't like it when both Clay and Ray had their advancement opportunities.

Edited by cameron

It's a streaming service like Disney+ a buy subscription online streaming service. I don't have it, I watch on CBS. So not good for me. I have Paramount Network, but doesn't seem like it's going on TV at all after they migrate.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I watch this show on sky as not in America. What is paramount? Would it be weekly still or would the entire series just be dropped at once?

Paramount+ is a streaming service, what used to be CBS All Access. I don't know what P+'s status is outside America. I don't know what the release strategy will be. Some streaming services drop all at once, some have a mixed strategy where for one show they would drop a couple for the premiere then once a week, and another show they would drop all at once

1 minute ago, Artsda said:

It's a streaming service like Disney+ a buy subscription online streaming service. I don't have it, I watch on CBS. So not good for me. I have Paramount Network, but doesn't seem like it's going on TV at all after they migrate.

Deadline did say it might play its first few episodes of the new season on CBS then exclusively to Paramount+, probably as a come-on to subscribe to P+

Re the latest episode - I wasn’t expecting the Jason Dohring character to be a predator. I thought Davis was all set to hook up with him, I didn’t pick up that she disliked him at all.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, nitrofishblue said:

Well good bye to watching the show. I can't do streaming which means I won't be accessing all these new pay-to-watch streaming channels.

Same here, but I am not going to miss this show very much. I liked it early on as a decently done shoot-em-up, but it devolved into SEAL Team 90210.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

God damn it, Metal better be okay! And look at him. Look at what an exemplary frogman he is! He gets blown up by an RPG and has a broken leg and he's making jokes so Jason and Clay won't be so worried! And they're good jokes too! "I'm not actually made of metal" and "mom used to put more than that in my sippy cup" (referring to morphine!) is comedy gold.

Ray really needs to get his shit together. He's now hallucinating in battle and he almost got another one of the team's no-drama guys killed in the process. Jason gave Sonny and Clay a lecture about having their heads in the game but we already know Sonny has an off switch for personal issues that trips automatically when things get heavy. As for Clay, the only time I can distinctly recall him getting disruptive with personal stuff was when he was with Ray!

I'm a little surprised Davis didn't get specific about her harassment problem at the end of last episode. All of her best friends are Navy SEALs and I'm sure they would be happy to have a friendly chat with Lt. Prick if he won't leave Davis alone.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, dwmarch said:

All of her best friends are Navy SEALs and I'm sure they would be happy to have a friendly chat with Lt. Prick if he won't leave Davis alone

You’d think that the problem in real life would resolve itself for the same reason. After all,  99% of the military is made up of people with high ethics.  Even they can’t seem to put the other 1% in a cage so they don’t hurt anyone. 

The mission and its' design were comical.  At least the bad guys had more than one grenade this time.   Good thing our boys have the Olive Garden endless rounds special.  

Davis' arc is similarly farcical.  Fine by me if she wants to throw away her career.  Her surprise when informed that this latest scheme might not work?  Puhlease.  How about...even if it does work, both of their careers are over as they will be branded malcontents/troublemakers.  Again, I am NOT justifying the harassment/abuse.  Only noting the real world consequences.  Except, we all know Davis has an endless supply chain of second chances.

Clay was tasked to be the medic for Metal's evac because he had the superior training.  Jace becomes Hawkeye, and also the Hulk.  Now what, exactly, are those two gonna add against the new Russian convoy?  Send the helos and rain down hellfire by all means.  That would have impact.  But, risking a helo and crew for the insertion of two operators?  With the facts about the Nigerian defense lines being overrun?  Ay yi yi.

DB chewing the scenery while he lamented that Bravo's actions were worthless?  I'm sure Command appreciated his support.  What leadership!  

I can't wait to find out how Ray's failures in battle get "papered over" by the writers.  

On 5/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Well good bye to watching the show. I can't do streaming which means I won't be accessing all these new pay-to-watch streaming channels.

That’s too bad, you should consider it, as I believe more and more shows that would otherwise be canceled or premiere on linear will be moved to streaming.

SEAL Team is reportedly a strong streaming performer so it’s saved while some other shows aren't. Plus, it’s somewhat serialized, which tends to do well on streaming, so I think it has the chance for a few more seasons on a streaming service. The move might allow it to get more serialized and perhaps more violent, with maybe some bad language, though the interview with David suggests he would want to deploy the latter judiciously

I don’t know if I’ll follow it much on P+ as I got my hands full with watching shows on linear TV, but it gives me the freedom to watch when I can without filling up my DVR

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

That’s too bad, you should consider it, as I believe more and more shows that would otherwise be canceled or premiere on linear will be moved to streaming.

SEAL Team is reportedly a strong streaming performer so it’s saved while some other shows aren't. Plus, it’s somewhat serialized, which tends to do well on streaming, so I think it has the chance for a few more seasons on a streaming service. The move might allow it to get more serialized and perhaps more violent, with maybe some bad language, though the interview with David suggests he would want to deploy the latter judiciously

I don’t know if I’ll follow it much on P+ as I got my hands full with watching shows on linear TV, but it gives me the freedom to watch when I can without filling up my DVR

I can't do streaming. Period end of story. I don't have nor can I afford a smart tv and all the equipment required to stream. Some of us are on a limited (very limited) budget. I am retired and survive on a tight budget. 

• Love 4

That was a solid episode. Very emotional and not always in the places I expected. But I'm happy the characters seem to be moving in the right directions at the moment. As much as I love giving Ray a hard time he won me over in this episode with finally coming to grips with what the job has done to him and his family.

RIP Full Metal, they don't make them like you any more.

• Love 2
(edited)

What a price is paid.

Fabulous episode once the firefight ended.  

I admit I was getting furious when Clay was giving the standard soap opera "I have to break up with you so I won't hurt you." trope.  Then came the flanking maneuver.  I LOVED it.  Stella had already bought in.  It's great that she'll get the chance to live that out.

The scene with Ray and Naima was outrageously deep and truthful.  He really is giving himself a chance.  After how many years?!  

Huge truth in the scene with Jace and Ray at the shrink's.  There is no guarantee that either man will follow up.  But, even Jace now has the chance to heal.   I do wonder, however, about the choice to have the double-session.  It worked, though, and that is all that matters.

I have no earthly idea how Bravo in its current state can be cleared for operations.  Ray has to be taken offline, for one.  It will be interesting to see how long the timeline is advanced for the premiere ep next season.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 1

I just watched the season finale and was pleasantly surprised. The show was well written and genuinely moving, more so than most of the season to me. The interpersonal drama between the team members and their families felt genuine, without the soap opera-ish scripting feel I got from earlier on. Hope the new style continues.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, DoctorK said:
On 5/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, nitrofishblue said:

Same here, but I am not going to miss this show very much. I liked it early on as a decently done shoot-em-up, but it devolved into SEAL Team 90210

Double ditto here.  If they think people are going to actually pay over and above what they're already paying for their cable bill to watch certain shows then fine - I'm not one of them.  No show is worth the extra money to watch.  I'm still ticked off at the 2nd half of the final season of Vikings only being aired on Amazon Prime rather than the History channel.  As much as I vested 5 seasons into it and want to know how it turned out, I'm not buying Prime (nor anything else from that blood sucking suppressive giant) just to watch it.

Same with Clarice.  Hub and I are enjoying it, but if it were to be pulled from our regular cable lineup to go to a plus service, then fine.  Good riddance.

Just watching a few of the first eps from Season One.  The Clay emphasis was all over the map.  It didn't have to be.

Two things really stood out for me:  1)  When Clay was going through an exercise in rescuing a hostage, it got to a point where the enemy threw a frag and good guys were gonna take the hit.  Hostage included.  Clay chose to dive on the explosive, trying to save the others.  The training commander ordered a halt to the proceedings and ripped Clay a new one for that choice.  He went on and on, insisting that getting the hostage out was EVERYthing.  

Clay had explained that his actions were all about saving the others, hostage included, in his party and the commander was having none of it, repeating that getting the hostage out alive was the only priority.  What rot.  Clay did that very thing.

It was fine if he ripped them all a new one for allowing the enemy to get the best of them.  But, the choice Clay made was righteous and mission-dedicated.

2)  There was a sequence where they were trying to break him with various water tortures.  So much of the SERE training was about breaking his will.  That sequence was a direct callback, imo, to Jan Michael Vincent's Marine boot in Tribes.  Fabulous film, terrific acting all around.  In the film, when being stressed, JMV was fantasizing about a flower girl/hippie as the DI was stressing his platoon to physical limits.  Here, Clay coped by dreaming of being with his fallen buddy.  Super cool, imo.

The problem is we never saw Clay being broken.  He was tired beyond tired, yes.  But, we never saw him capitulate mentally.  We never saw JMV do so, either.  All we heard about from the bosses was that Clay was a specimen, but he could not be trusted to be properly selfless.  They did what they could, but it never fully worked.  So how the heck did he go from the original Bottom 5 to a Top 3 graduate?  What changed?  And Jason overlooked it all and made him the top pick.  Ugh.

TPTB had some great concepts but could not pull them off.  This was a perfect precursor to what the series was and remains.  Now it goes to a pay network.  Not sure if it's worth it.