Type keyword(s) to search

SEAL Team - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I'm tired of Jason acting like he's making all these big sacrifices.  I get it, DB is the star, so no way he was staying home after Alana's death, but let's be real.  Jason sacrifices for things he wants to do - be a SEAL, and serve with his brothers.  He doesn't sacrifice for others.  His comment about thinking his daughter would stay home to take care of her brother was one of those things.  He wants her to sacrifice for his dreams and ambitions.  He's not wrong about Tisch and the loans (kids really don't understand what $80,000 of loans or $100,000 of loans will do to you), but his approach is about him not wanting to sacrifice his choices for his family.  Someone should call him on it.

• Love 3

The Philippines is not Afghanistan Senior Chief, but areas of it are close to it. Between old school National People's Army (NPA)  groups  and the Islamic groups who traded from al Qaeda to ISIS. I know you were trying to soften the impact. But come on, a major city battle in which the city was destroyed in order to save was just finishing when you went into production. And a police Special Action Force battalion while trying to arrest an ISIS linked bomber from Malaysia took perhaps the biggest unit loss in the world since the global war on terror started on 9/11 2001 not long before President Duterte started his campaign for the President's office

• Love 1

I really liked this ep.  Davis going through OCS with a seasoned DI is excellent.  I am not sure if I want her to make it, or if the far more interesting consequences of her washing out are better.  Would she even be eligible to return to SEAL attachment?  I noticed they went out of their way to make sure we did not ever eye her replacement.

Mr. Integrity my butt.  

Tarzan sure made record time getting to exfil, eh?  Oopsie.  Encoded hardware left behind?  The irony is rich, seeing as the whole point of the mission was to capture THEIRS!

I have zero sympathy for Emma.  SHE'S the one who wants to blaze a trail when perfectly great paths were/are in place for her.  Was Daddy supposed to ride her sorry self as to paperwork involving hundreds of thousands of dollars?  How long would she last in NYC?  

The arc about the services losing critical personnel like a SEAL leader to private concerns is an important one.  I just wish the catalyst for Jason weren't so stoopid.  His daughter has zero chance of forging a career in singing with the debt load she is taking on.  She has to be as unencumbered as possible so she can be free to take off on a moment's notice and to accept meager compensation, if she is fortunate to get even that as an artist.

I don't care much for the addled legend.  He made his choices.  I don't wish him, or anyone like him, ill.  I care very much that they not be enabled.  Full support must be given to those who bottom out and seek to change.  This guy is nowhere near that point. 

"Bed, Bath, and Beyond."  That was among the best lines I've heard on this show.  Perfect.

• Love 1

I'm confused also about him selling the house for Emma's school. Now, do they need a house that size with Emma and Alana both gone? Maybe not. Would've made more sense if Jason had mentioned he was thinking of downsizing anyway.

I get he wants to support her and I know there are other career paths other than just "singer" when coming out of a fine arts school - but given the expense and her family's situation, I'm befuddled by the choice. I came from middle class parents, my mom stayed at home and my dad worked. There were 3 kids and I was the youngest. I knew, from the time I knew what college was, that I would either have to get a lot in scholarship money and go to a private school, or I had to make sure I could get accepted to state school so we could afford it. Luckily, state school for me meant UNC Chapel Hill, so I still got a great education, but the private schools where I was accepted were out of the question because I didn't even think taking on $100k+ in school loans was an option for me or my family. How could Emma not know they didn't have that kind of money, even if Alana were alive? Did she never have a conversation with her parents about college? 

Maybe my family was freakish, but do people really do zero planning for 18 years and then decide to go to a private fine arts school in a different state and take on $200k-$300k in loans so they can maybe make $30-40k when they graduate?

Edited by Lunula
Spelling
  • Love 1

I wish there were some way to criticize Clay for going afield as he did, knowing that one of the standard practices of terrorists is to have a delayed bomb to kill responders.  Then again, he did his duty to seek and help the wounded.  Sometimes, the bad guys just win.

So, exactly when did Bravo Team adopt standard uniforms per the Commander's orders?

Mandy was finally human in her talk with Jason. 

Jason is not grabbing a job which will pay north of $400K a year?  With the real closing of his window as Bravo 1 anyway?

Davis was absolutely right to win the flag by "cheating."  Anyone remember the Dirty Dozen?   Kelly's Heroes😉 However, if she can't handle flames in close quarters, she can't be an officer.  No worries.  Phobias are nothing to apologize for.  It is a little weird that Davis does not understand that the DI really does, in her heart of hearts, want her to make it through.  Just do it!

What do y'all think Ray would have done?  Finish the cheating deed, or back off and continue to play the game with Christine?  I say he would have done it.  He's self-destructing.

Unforgivably, and ridiculously, Blackburn never said anything to the team he knew was waiting to hear annnything about Clay.  He waits until he's taken to the airbase and is in the air before he comes out of the surgical area?  Absurdly outrageous.

Overall, despite that last scene, another solid ep.  

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

There was a small bit in this episode that really paid off at the end and I loved it. When Sonny and Clay were talking about Sonny's mystery girlfriend, Sonny said something along the lines of when the shit goes down he will shut all that nonsense off. And when the bomb went off, that is exactly what he did. He didn't even tell Davis "something just blew up, gotta go, TTYS", he just hung up on her and started helping. I also really enjoy Clay and Sonny's friendship.

• Love 6
On 4/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Unforgivably, and ridiculously, Blackburn never said anything to the team he knew was waiting to hear annnything about Clay.  He waits until he's taken to the airbase and is in the air before he comes out of the surgical area?  Absurdly outrageous.

I could fill in fiction that he oversaw Clay's journey to the roof or helipad and supervised as he was put on the transport, maybe Clay was even conscious and Blackburn talked to and encouraged him until he was loaded on.  That's the only way I can see him not filling in the team, that it all happened fast and he thought it was more important to stick with Clay until the last minute.  Actually when they had the preview for this episode, since we could see that Jason & Ray were carrying the stretcher which left them out as possible victims; I was sure it was going to be Blackburn on the stretcher which could have either put Jason in charge or saw him losing the one buffer between him and the upper brass he seems to be pissing off regularly.

The camera work after the first blast and as Clay was blown backward was very good but so dizzying it almost put me off balance watching it.

Wondering if Clay ever changed his emergency contact info or will we see Stella getting a call and having to decide whether to go to Clay's side or break ties completely?

Edited by sigmaforce86
punctuation!
On 4/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I really liked this ep.  Davis going through OCS with a seasoned DI is excellent.  I am not sure if I want her to make it, or if the far more interesting consequences of her washing out are better.  Would she even be eligible to return to SEAL attachment?  I noticed they went out of their way to make sure we did not ever eye her replacement.

I think in real life she would go elsewhere in the fleet rather than return to her former unit as a failure.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

So, exactly when did Bravo Team adopt standard uniforms per the Commander's orders?

I remember from reading about Black Hawk Down that the Delta Force Team went undercover by shaving to look like the Army Rangers, even if they did wear different gear. That the USAF friend of the Senior Chief immediately called him a SEAL and the terrorist got Bravo, well at least one member, at a US service bar in Manila suggest the Commander had a point.

Just nagging things about the scene feeling like pan Asian city rather than Manila stuck with me. The I noticed all the small bills in US dollars during the card game scene left me with a laugh at good luck changing them into pesos. Changing anything except crisp new $100 bills is a major pain.

Edited by Raja
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I could fill in fiction that he oversaw Clay's journey to the roof or helipad and supervised as he was put on the transport, maybe Clay was even conscious and Blackburn talked to and encouraged him until he was loaded on.  

Except that they were working on him for hours.  Also, the chances they would decide, "Hey we need to evac him pronto to the USA!"  would result in an instant helo and then a hospital fixed-wing aircraft for this purpose, for a single sailor?  Ridiculous choice by TPTB to add this last note of chaos to the team.  How could they ever trust him now?

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I think in real life she would go elsewhere in the fleet rather than return to her former unit as a failure.

I remember from reading about Black Hawk Down that the Delta Force Team went undercover by shaving to look like the Army Rangers, even if they did wear different gear. That the USAF friend of the Senior Chief immediately called him a SEAL and the terrorist got Bravo, well at least one member, at a US service bar in Manila suggest the Commander had a point.

Without question, she would be reassigned elsewhere.  But, we are dealing with TV.   So, I asked if it were even possible.   I could see her going to a different team, though.  That would make sense and she could work out of the same base as Sonny.

The one obvious time they would have been in uniform after the Commander had his hizzy fit was when Ray was formally instructing the Filipino soldiers and Jason showed up, also out of uniform.  In terms of going off base to bars and such, it would make sense that the order did not apply.

1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Except that they were working on him for hours.  Also, the chances they would decide, "Hey we need to evac him pronto to the USA!"  would result in an instant helo and then a hospital fixed-wing aircraft for this purpose, for a single sailor?  Ridiculous choice by TPTB to add this last note of chaos to the team.  How could they ever trust him now?

Literally the first thing I said after hearing about his evac was, "Would they really evac him, in critical condition, from the Philippines to the United States? On a commercial airline, that's like a 14-24 hour flight (depending on west vs. east coast). Why wouldn't he go somewhere closer with more modern medical facilities? Australia? Japan? Hell, even the UK would be like 12 hours. 

Maybe someone else can clear it up for me - I assume a military evac would be faster, yes? But would they move a critically injured patient, who hadn't had any surgery to stabilize, on a long flight like that? 

On 4/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Jason is not grabbing a job which will pay north of $400K a year?  With the real closing of his window as Bravo 1 anyway?

I kind of zoned out during the whole job offer thing, did they seriously mention a job paying that much? And Jason would rather sell his house and go into debt for his daughter's education (apparently forgetting he also has a son) than quit the SEALs, at his advanced age, knowing it's only gonna be a few more years at best? The mind boggles!

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Lunula said:

I kind of zoned out during the whole job offer thing, did they seriously mention a job paying that much? And Jason would rather sell his house and go into debt for his daughter's education (apparently forgetting he also has a son) than quit the SEALs, at his advanced age, knowing it's only gonna be a few more years at best? The mind boggles!

Jason said school would cost $50K plus NYC living expenses, which is at least $1K per month.  Dude said he would "easily" make that in two months.  So...$30K per month, after taxes?  The math is easy.  12 x 50 (at least).

2 hours ago, Lunula said:

Literally the first thing I said after hearing about his evac was, "Would they really evac him, in critical condition, from the Philippines to the United States? On a commercial airline, that's like a 14-24 hour flight (depending on west vs. east coast). Why wouldn't he go somewhere closer with more modern medical facilities? Australia? Japan? Hell, even the UK would be like 12 hours. 

Maybe someone else can clear it up for me - I assume a military evac would be faster, yes? But would they move a critically injured patient, who hadn't had any surgery to stabilize, on a long flight like that? 

Seeing that the evacuation squadron is forward deployed in Japan less than 5 hours from Manila you would think that the follow up care would be in Japan instead 11 hours away at Pearl Harbor or even further on the mainland 

The cruise speed of a C17 is slower than the 777 that PAL uses for that flight 

Edited by Raja

Maybe my family was freakish, but do people really do zero planning for 18 years and then decide to go to a private fine arts school in a different state and take on $200k-$300k in loans so they can maybemake $30-40k when they graduate?

I'm not convinced Emma thought about going to school in NYC prior to Alana dying. I think part of her wanting to get away is tied to her being afraid Jason is going to die too. She lost her mom unexpectedly & her dad has a job where he is always in danger.  IMO, at least part of it is that she wants distance.

I don't think Jason will sell the house. I think seeing a problem and looking for the way to blow right through it is consistent with Jason.I hope Emma stays. I think there could be decent story going forward. Jason dealing with his kids after leaving most of it to Alana gives him some personal conflict that isn't another romance on the show. Emma being 18 & having opinions that differ from her father give a family dynamic that is different than Ray's with small children.

Unforgivably, and ridiculously, Blackburn never said anything to the team he knew was waiting to hear annnything about Clay.  He waits until he's taken to the airbase and is in the air before he comes out of the surgical area?  Absurdly outrageous

Especially after all the talk about the brotherhood throughout the episode. 5 hearts beating as 1- well until 1 is injured then you can stand in hall & you'll see him when you get back to the states.  At a minimum there should have been a scene with them watching Clay be wheeled out after Blackburn told them he was leaving.

Wondering if Clay ever changed his emergency contact info or will we see Stella getting a call and having to decide whether to go to Clay's side or break ties completely

I think we'll see his father, mainly because the actress who plays Stella went to another show didn't she?

• Love 1

Ray is rapidly becoming my least favorite character, behind  even Mandy.   Hello, if you are having a crisis of faith, talk to your pastor.

Emma is a high school student, not the housekeeper, babysitter, bill payer, etc.  Her remaining parent  needs to get his head out of his... and start figuring out things for himself.  He needs to go with Emma to or at least call the school guidance counselor or college coordinator. The person who can help guide them thru the application and loan process since Jason is and chooses to remain clueless.  

• Love 1

How on earth was Bravo allowed to take on the rest of the cell?  The mission goal was quite specific:  Minimal engagement!  How did Blackburn allow Jason any option?????

How did Davis survive the pressure from her collapse in the crucible?  She was being ridden HARD.  The DI let up when Davis was released from sick bay?  My eye.  We were cheated.  What's with the soft/analytical approach from the DI now?  When the heck did Davis merit this?   Halfway..HALFway through?   

Command gave Bravo a Gucci assignment, giving the team an opportunity to get their collective butts back in cohesive gear.   The team is a bigger mess, for reasons having nothing to do with Clay's injuries.

And Jason turned down a perfect offer.  Emma is in NYC now, yes?  How?  Did the house sell in record time?  Who moved the children?  

Ray got back on Bravo by the slimmest of slim margins.  Oops.. I am not supposed to remember that.  Why is he being given so much slack?  The man's gotsta go.  

Did anyone else chuckle that Kristy Swanson, the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie version) was in this episode, alongside David Boreanaz who was in the TV series Buffy? 

Or am I just a geek....

• Love 7

I figured Swanny wouldn’t be around for long in the show but wasn’t expecting that. At least not until he had given the homeless vet his wallet. Bummer. 

No Davis and OCS this week, weird. 

Ray needs to get his head right and talk to his wife. She may actually understand and help! He used to be my favorite character behind Sonny but not no. 

Poor Clay. I wish he had some more support near him. He is going to need it. Stupid Stella for leaving him. I understand he motives but he is basically all alone. 

• Love 1
Spoiler

SEAL TEAM

PRE-FINALE: Bravo Team’s hunt for those behind the Asia bombings is interrupted by a long-simmering, “pretty intense” showdown between Jason and Ray, says showrunner John Glenn. “It comes to blows.” (On the brighter side, in that same hour Davis graduates from OCS, in a story Glenn said “was really important to tell.”) Tensions between Jason and Ray are unresolved when the latter gets separated from the team during a jump and Bravo is ordered not to attempt a rescue. Trapped in a hut in Kashmir with the enemy closing in, and having just clashed with his best friend, “He’s a man who’s completely bottomed-out in terms of his faith,” says Glenn. “David [Boreanaz] did a phenomenal job directing it, and Neil [Brown Jr.] is fantastic.”

SEASON FINALE (May 22): Chasing a new lead on the bombings, “for the first time this season you see Bravo kind of ‘whole,'” Glenn says — save for Clay, who is on his own mission to get Brett Swan awarded a Purple Heart for a TBI the military won’t recognize as a combat injury. The hour ends with a seven-minute, wordless montage showing how the characters evolved this season, capped by a question about Bravo 1’s state of mind. Says Glenn, “Jason goes into a bar, and the bartender asks him how he’s doing. The cliffhanger is he looks up at us”… and delivers a startling answer.

Large quantity of spoilers above that deal with the rest of the season.  Proceed as you may wish.

Last night's episode was very sad.  First the KIA soldier and then Swanny.  Even though he had significant issues, he was growing on me, and I liked the Swanny/Clay dynamic.

The ending reminded me of a news report about veterans who die by suicide.  The report mentioned a vet who took his own life in the waiting room of a VA hospital.

1 hour ago, Ohmo said:
  Hide contents

SEAL TEAM

PRE-FINALE: Bravo Team’s hunt for those behind the Asia bombings is interrupted by a long-simmering, “pretty intense” showdown between Jason and Ray, says showrunner John Glenn. “It comes to blows.” (On the brighter side, in that same hour Davis graduates from OCS, in a story Glenn said “was really important to tell.”) Tensions between Jason and Ray are unresolved when the latter gets separated from the team during a jump and Bravo is ordered not to attempt a rescue. Trapped in a hut in Kashmir with the enemy closing in, and having just clashed with his best friend, “He’s a man who’s completely bottomed-out in terms of his faith,” says Glenn. “David [Boreanaz] did a phenomenal job directing it, and Neil [Brown Jr.] is fantastic.”

SEASON FINALE (May 22): Chasing a new lead on the bombings, “for the first time this season you see Bravo kind of ‘whole,'” Glenn says — save for Clay, who is on his own mission to get Brett Swan awarded a Purple Heart for a TBI the military won’t recognize as a combat injury. The hour ends with a seven-minute, wordless montage showing how the characters evolved this season, capped by a question about Bravo 1’s state of mind. Says Glenn, “Jason goes into a bar, and the bartender asks him how he’s doing. The cliffhanger is he looks up at us”… and delivers a startling answer.

Large quantity of spoilers above that deal with the rest of the season.  Proceed as you may wish.

Last night's episode was very sad.  First the KIA soldier and then Swanny.  Even though he had significant issues, he was growing on me, and I liked the Swanny/Clay dynamic.

The ending reminded me of a news report about veterans who die by suicide.  The report mentioned a vet who took his own life in the waiting room of a VA hospital.

In 2019 alone, we have already had 22 Veterans commit suicide either inside, just outside the door or in the parking lot of VA hospitals around the country. This is only April. 

On average, 20 Veterans and Active Duty Service Members, die by suicide every single day. Some people don't realize that the most common statistic shared it's just Veterans post-service, but also include those currently on active duty or activated with the Guard. 

We are quick to go into war and send our youngest and brightest; we are slow to do nothing about getting them access to proper treatment, medicine and rehabilitation programs. 

This episode wrecked me. My husband is a retired Army Veteran who has lost more friends to suicide than I even care to count. Just a few months ago we found out a Private who was just coming into the unit as my husband was gearing to exit also took his own life. He was 24 years old. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 5

I do not understand why the doctor denied Swanny’s request for an MRI.

I am a veteran and I have had multiple tests done at my local VA facility and none of the issues were documented while I was on active duty.  Now if he was trying to increase his disability rating that’s one thing. 

You do have to be your own advocate, which is difficult enough when you not suffering from mental illness.

i have been told that I could not be seen by a VA doc after driving three hours. I raised holy hell to no avail. The clerk was just as indifferent as the one shown.

Ray..... he needs to GTFO my screen pronto. I’m glad that Jason called him out. 

• Love 1

I haven’t finished watching this episode, but I have to say this.  If the first 25 minutes  of this episode is even a partially accurate representation of the VA clinic/ hospital... there is no excuse. Our veterans should have the same facilities, number of doctors as the rest of us. When I go to my doctor, I rarely wait more than an hour. I sure don’t have to line up in a queue just to get to the waiting area.  I can usually get am appt for within a week, the same day if I’m sick. 

Came back to add- I thought VA care was for all veterans who needed it for any reason for life/ not just to treat injuries documented during their service. Shouldn’t matter if it happened in the service or after it.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I haven’t finished watching this episode, but I have to say this.  If the first 25 minutes  of this episode is even a partially accurate representation of the VA clinic/ hospital... there is no excuse. Our veterans should have the same facilities, number of doctors as the rest of us. When I go to my doctor, I rarely wait more than an hour. I sure don’t have to line up in a queue just to get to the waiting area.  I can usually get am appt for within a week, the same day if I’m sick. 

Came back to add- I thought VA care was for all veterans who needed it for any reason for life/ not just to treat injuries documented during their service. Shouldn’t matter if it happened in the service or after it.  

I worked at the VA in the late 70s/early 80s and it was like that back then as well.  It was an all day ordeal for those poor veterans.  I was both saddened and angered to see it still goes on all these years later.  The doctor that didn't order the MRI because he wasn't authorized to spend that kind of $$?   You should SEE the waste that goes on the VA because there's an endless supply of money coming in.  We used to toss out thousand dollar hyperalimentation (IV total nutrition) if we weren't sure if we added enough potassium.   When I crossed over from government work to private hospital work with my toss if if you're not sure it's right government employee mentality, they set me straight REALLY fast that that's not how it's done in the private world!  

This was a tough episode for me - my blood was boiling that the vets are still so disregarded in a system that is supposed to be there for them.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

It is a 100% accurate portrayal of how it happens. 

That was an intense episode that highlighted the struggles the vets and currently serving soldiers. My brother recently passed away at the vs hospital. His treatment the last year of his life was really spotty. When I see what those idiots in Congress want to spend on all those illegal aliens, my blood boils.

1 hour ago, nitrofishblue said:

That was an intense episode that highlighted the struggles the vets and currently serving soldiers. My brother recently passed away at the vs hospital. His treatment the last year of his life was really spotty. When I see what those idiots in Congress want to spend on all those illegal aliens, my blood boils.

Money spent on undocumented people won't put anymore money into the VA, While it would make sense to take X amount of money from Z budget and put it into the VA Budget; that isn't how our government is designed nor how it works.  

The reality is, the VA has money---what it doesn't have is people and accountability measures to ensure everyone is getting the proper treatment in a timely manner. A doctor working at the VA takes a significant cut compared to the civilian world. I know quite a few who doctors who used the VA to gain experience before moving to a private hospital for twice or triple the pay. Some even use it to pay off their student loans through forgiveness programs for agreeing to work there for x amount of years. 

Another issue with the VA system is that the technology they used isn't streamlined between departments. It's like running around with only half the data needed to be effective. 

• Love 3

I think that we need to provide our Veterans with free health insurance  with zero deductible and zero co-pays and allow them to go to any hospital/ doctor of their choosing.   The rest of us who have group health insurance have that right and so should they.  Then we should outsource the VA clinics/hospitals to be run by the best clinics/ hospitals in the country- Mayo, Barnes, Kettering for example.   Those people know how to run hospitals and clinics 

• Love 4

I was getting so frustrated with the intake lady peppering Swann with questions and I said aloud “have some compassion, lady” and my husband said “she doesn’t have time to be compassionate with the caseload she most likely has.”

And I realized he was right, and that made me so sad.  I mean, I saw the line just to get in the waiting room and nothing I have seen IRL would lead me to believe that was an exaggeration for dramatic purposes.

So.  What can I, as a private citizen, do to help?  It’s not right, and it needs to be fixed.

17 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Another issue with the VA system is that the technology they used isn't streamlined between departments. It's like running around with only half the data needed to be effective. 

This made me snicker because it's not necessarily true even in large, well-funded, private hospitals.  My mother is currently recovering from a major procedure, and I can't tell you how many times they have gone to follow-up appointments and been asked to regurgitate the exact same patient information that at least 4 other departments in the same hospital have.  The computers apparently don't interface among departments.  The VA has been shown to be nighmarishly worse, but the U.S, health care system overall has a bureaucracy and efficiency problem as an entity.  No one wants to fix anything because then then some people would likely lose cushy gigs and nice paychecks.  Veterans get the very shortest end of the entire bureaucratic mess.

• Love 1

The cost of freedom, indeed.  Never forget.

Ray is a fool.  The tango whose "soul" he believes he somehow harmed made his own evil choice to not do good, with the full risk of harming his OWN soul.  Ray's actions weren't just aight.  They were RIGHTEOUS!

Good that the team was up against more Imperial Storm Troopers.  I did, however, love the A-10 action.  Those airships are the best friend the infantry ever had.  And they darn near were removed entirely.  

Americans have refused to pay for the government services they have demanded since FDR.  We sure as heck refuse to fully pay our debts to out soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and Coasties.  What is VERY different now is that wounds are far more survivable these days.  Rehab is expensive.   The price our brave folks pay?  I don't want to think about it.  Bless them all.

6 hours ago, windsprints said:

Sneak Peek for Wednesday:

That short scene summarizes why I stopped watching this show.

I must admit I came to this show from "Bones" as I followed David Boreanz's Instagram and he was always posing with big guns and full military gear like he was have a blast "play" military man. I think David is a talented actor but he just seems too old to be leading a seal team (IMHO). The show started all military and I found the stories were good but the action was a bit over the top. 

So I did lose interest and now this 2nd season seems like they are throwing everything in to see what will keep viewers interested (hence the summary from the clip). I get the sad stories but both my brothers where in the military and both came out and had very successful careers. So Military life is not all doom, gloom, and action.

I get the sad stories but both my brothers where in the military and both came out and had very successful careers. So Military life is not all doom, gloom, and action.

I agree, that is the case in real life. The show mainly focuses on the portions of their lives that immediately surround (& during) the missions. IMO we don't see the stretches of time when life is more normal for them. IMO, I don't think its much different than a medical show having surgeons perform ground breaking surgeries every week, lawyers in court arguing huge cases every week, etc. All the drama is heightened. I also don't think the show started all military and nothing with their lives - we saw Jason struggling personally after Nate died in episode 1. JMO. 

• Love 2

This is not the young lady raised in a SEAL home.  Give me a frickin' break.  She would certainly be all sorts of frustrated.  Anyone would be.  But, the weak little girl we see on display now?  Nuh uh.

Unopened chute?  It happens. 

The opening firefight was a joke.   Jason had a much better and closer point to throw explosives.  Even I could have done it.  Speaking of.....grenades?!  Been awhile since I saw one used.

The failures in command all fall on Blackburn.  He was fully cognizant of the rift and of Ray's struggles.  Hard to fathom that he was still in command.  Oh.  We still have not seen hide nor hair of Davis' replacement.

Good backstory about Davis.  The alcoholic mother sowing division was evil.  Tragic that there's been no reconciliation.   The first salute with the DI was a tad underwhelming, to me.    Davis is the only one who made it through having been first designated team leader.   Yet and still, this was a pretty great arc.

Clay didn't move heaven and earth to get an autopsy with brain emphasis done?  You don't need government approval for such a thing.  Then he confronts the wrong person (Doc) again and gets schooled.  Then he gets schooled by the CO.  He seems a perfect Jason in the making!

(edited)
19 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

This is not the young lady raised in a SEAL home.  Give me a frickin' break.  She would certainly be all sorts of frustrated.  Anyone would be.  But, the weak little girl we see on display now?  Nuh uh.

What I don't like about Emma is her lack of awareness.  As you said, she's grown up in a SEAL home.  Her father has a very dangerous job.  I can't believe that at some point in her upbringing Jason and Alana didn't have conversations with her and Mikey about the possibility of Jason dying, as it was more likely to happen to Jason than it would to fathers who weren't SEALs.

Yet, whenever she and Jason talk, she complains about what she has to do, like the entire idea of one of her parents dying and her having more responsibilities is a foreign concept.  It might not be fair, but I don't buy that Alana didn't sit her down one day and say to her, "If your father dies, you're going to have to help out more than usual.  I'll probably need your help with Mikey, I will probably have to go back to work, work longer hours, etc." Sure, there are now some added challenges because Jason is often away, but Emma's acting like this is news to her that this is her life.  News flash: life isn't fair,  (Ask Davis about that.)  The probability of this being Emma's life was VERY high.  The only surprise turned out to be which parent died prematurely.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

I'm also still in absolute shock that Jason and Alana didn't PREPARE for this. Did they think she'd never go to college? Most parents start an account when the child is born and put a little bit in at a time, so by the time they reach 18, there's at least SOME funds to kickstart the process. 

I do think that Jason has some money.  I've never gotten the sense that he can't send her to A college.  He just can't send her to THIS college, which is expensive.  Yet, he won't tell her no or "I can send you here, but not here."  That's what he needs to do.  If she wants to go to I can't remember the name of the dream school, then she's going to have to find a heck of a scholarship.

My dad loves me, and we were a comfortable family, but years ago, when it was time for the four of us to start looking at schools, he was very clear.  He sent each of us to college.  We all have degrees, but he also reminded us that we were not only children.  Translation: Ivy League schools were non-starters (not that I was smart enough anyway.)  Jason needs to introduce Emma to reality.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

I would like to think so, but with the sudden need to fill out financial paperwork five minutes before she needs to start college, it seems to me that very little discussion was had.

It would be nice if they made things clearer, because it seemed like nobody talked to anyone about this. Why didn't Alana talk to her daughter about the kind of school she'd want to go to? It's not like she passed away when her daughter was a child. 

A couple of episodes ago, didn't Jason mention something about his GI Bill benefits?  I took that to mean that he was anticipating that would cover at least a large portion of  Emma's schooling.  That may have been naive on his part, but I lay more of the blame on Emma than him.  (Although, what I do hold him responsible for is not telling Emma that he can't afford the school.  Ditto no expensive hockey school for Mikey.)

I hold Emma at fault for being selfish.  By 17, you have a general idea of what your family can afford.  Emma Hayes is the daughter of a Master Chief.  He's not commissioned with a college degree.  Even with whatever hazard pay Jason gets and other monetary incentives for being a Tier 1 Operator, Emma knows he's got expenses and he's got another child (her brother).  She's KNOWINGLY putting him under stress.  I'd definitely have no problem with community college for her.

ETA:

ALSO, you would think that, having only one parent left in a job that could get him killed, that she might be more loving toward him.

Yes to this!

Edited by Ohmo

I agree that Emma is being bratty, but on the other hand, Jason is being a tool as well.  He chose to go back out as Bravo 1 - he had an on-base job, he was the one who chose to go back to combat.  Plus, he really put all of the financial decisions on her, and when she does the research he told her to do, he doesn't look at the emails.  He gets on the phone with her, and immediately starts trying to avoid the issue.  Preparing for college is the priority in her life for a second semester senior, she has deadlines to meet, and he just doesn't want to talk about it.

I would totally have backed him if he said - you get to go to a state school, because I can't swing Tufts - but he didn't.  And I wouldn't be surprised if at some level, he's avoiding it because once Emma goes, Mikey can't be on his own for months or weeks in the house, and he's going to have to find alternative child care.  Maybe Nayima will be cool with taking him whenever they're on missions, but maybe not.  Which may explain part of why he's so annoyed at Ray - if he and Nayima don't make it, there goes his extended family and safety net.  

• Love 5

SweetTooth, OK, but I still don't think we can ignore the significance of this line.

Emma: Covers about a quarter of the total tuition.

When Emma got in to whatever the name of the school is, Jason asked her if the school had classes in history, math, etc.  Emma said no.

Jason seemed to be expecting a traditional college.  They're in Virginia, right?  So something like Virginia or Virginia Tech.  Emma's talking a performance type school, like Pratt or Julliard, which are all private and very expensive.  Jason's benefits, while still not potentially covering all of the costs would cover MORE of the costs if Emma chose to attend a state school or a more traditional college.

I'm also not sure how all of this suddenly becomes something that ALANA should have taken care of.  I will agree that she was responsible for discussing this more with Jason, making more of a financial plan with him, making Emma aware of what was financially feasible and what wasn't, and communicating any information that Emma might require for admission to any school,, but as for knowing deadlines and filling out forms for this, that or whatever, that's on Emma to take care of, even if Alana had survived.  Emma's the one going to the school, and she's able to fill out a form.

TPTB are demanding we simply look at the Emma arc in a vacuum.  Most long-form shows typically do such.  Who paid the $80 application fee for Emma?   Who gathered the requisite documentation?  The Emma we saw in the latest ep was clueless.  Did we ever hear how she did on the SAT/ACT?  Is she really NYU material?  I highly doubt it.

This whole deal would have been much more powerful to me if Emma displayed even the slightest notion of the pain her Dad is feeling.  It would outline yet another sacrifice the families often face.  

It would be one thing if Tisch was a years' long dream backed up by, literally, performance.  Methinks Emma saw one too many eps of Felicity.  

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

This whole deal would have been much more powerful to me if Emma displayed even the slightest notion of the pain her Dad is feeling.  It would outline yet another sacrifice the families often face.  

My sister was around Emma’s age when our father died and I guess I was around Mikey’s. So it doesn’t exactly shock me that something like that is all screwy because people don’t know how to handle things like that. He also hasn’t been around all that much for either kid to see how he’s been effected. He really shouldn’t have left those kids that quickly for a multitude of reasons but one of them is that they’re not seeing how he’s coping or how approachable he is about it. They already gave him permission to go back right after their mother died. Crazy considerate of his mental state and a sacrifice.

1 hour ago, Janie430 said:

I agree that Emma is being bratty, but on the other hand, Jason is being a tool as well.  He chose to go back out as Bravo 1 - he had an on-base job, he was the one who chose to go back to combat.  Plus, he really put all of the financial decisions on her, and when she does the research he told her to do, he doesn't look at the emails.  He gets on the phone with her, and immediately starts trying to avoid the issue.  Preparing for college is the priority in her life for a second semester senior, she has deadlines to meet, and he just doesn't want to talk about it.

I would totally have backed him if he said - you get to go to a state school, because I can't swing Tufts - but he didn't.  And I wouldn't be surprised if at some level, he's avoiding it because once Emma goes, Mikey can't be on his own for months or weeks in the house, and he's going to have to find alternative child care.  Maybe Nayima will be cool with taking him whenever they're on missions, but maybe not.  Which may explain part of why he's so annoyed at Ray - if he and Nayima don't make it, there goes his extended family and safety net.  

She’s a brat, but she’s a 17 year old who lost her primary parent, had the other one seemingly unable to live a life that isn’t highly dangerous and then got running their lives put on her. It’s at least realistic in that it would be a mess. The weird thing is that there doesn’t seem to have been any kind of plan one way or another. My mother wasn’t big on, y‘know, parenting and I knew those things beforehand. Presumably people involved with the show went through this process with plans around what their family could and would do. It’s just a stupid storyline that should have ended in “this is how much I can afford to help you and that’s it.” Help with the more complicated financial things and keep an eye on deadlines. If it wasn’t feasible then it wasn’t feasible and that’s life. It’s not interesting to watch because it makes so little sense.

I think her going to a local college was Jason’s plan as soon as Alana died and apparently he’s almost totally unable to help in that area for reasons. I doubt he has a plan if Emma isn’t around to raise Mikey. It definitely looks bad for the character that he keeps conveniently being unhelpful, though. Bizarre writing for a protagonist.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

NONE of it makes sense. None. If Alana had started the process at some point or they'd talked about it and were trying to work things out, and she died, then fine. But I was shocked when Emma said that when he returned from his mission, she'd ALREADY BE IN SCHOOL.

Just to make things even more wacky, didn't Jason and Emma go on a college visit together?  Some place that was fairly local, and Emma really liked the school.  She said something about coming back for another visit with Alana (which didn't end up happening).  Now, all of a sudden, everything's all about Tisch, a school that Jason (and presumably Alana) knew very little about.

• Useful 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Did a teacher tell her she was especially talented? Did someone hear her sing and think she was so great

Actually Jason heard her sing and told her she was so talented that she should go to that school. But then he did nothing to find out the  costs or to help with the applications or figure out what to do with Mikey. Is he waiting until the first mission after Emma leaves to look up babysitters? Pretty sure  his commander would  frown on him being unprepared like that.  That is what is so bothersome about this is that he’s allowing himself to be clueless and unprepared as a parent and a team leader. 

Sonny can really step up when it’s required.  

Edited by mythoughtis
On 5/3/2019 at 11:19 PM, Ohmo said:

Just to make things even more wacky, didn't Jason and Emma go on a college visit together?  Some place that was fairly local, and Emma really liked the school.  She said something about coming back for another visit with Alana (which didn't end up happening).  Now, all of a sudden, everything's all about Tisch, a school that Jason (and presumably Alana) knew very little about.

It only makes sense if she’s desperate to get away from reminders of her mother or wants to avoid being locked down as the Alana substitute. Something like that or related to what’s happened.

Mainly, I think it’s just to fascilitate the “will Jason retire?” question and show how hard his homelife is. They shouldn’t play with that question now, imo. The answer is just that he should. Dude is a single parent now, his team is a mess, he’s got issues and his body has to be near the end anyway. And he had that tbi or whatever. Don’t bring attention to it, and he has the chance to earn a tonne more. I find focus on their home lives isn’t the most interesting and accidentally makes them look bad far too often.

11 hours ago, FakeItTil said:

Mainly, I think it’s just to fascilitate the “will Jason retire?” question and show how hard his homelife is. They shouldn’t play with that question now, imo. The answer is just that he should.

From a TV standpoint, this is always curious to me.  New Amsterdam is in a similar situation, and it makes little sense to me there, too.  It's in its first season, and the lead character received a cancer diagnosis in the series premiere.  WTF?  No network is going to kill off a lead character for a series that just launched, so I find the whole storyline a tedious waste of time.

I agree with you.  If Jason Hayes were an actual person, he should indeed retire.  Yet, I know that CBS is not going to get rid of a big-name actor like David in year two of a struggling series, particularly when he stepped in to become the lead after there were creative differences with the initial actor who was to play Jason.  I think this is when showrunners need to remember that they're making a TV show and viewers know it's a TV show.  Probability is high that we're going to have to do some TV handwaving when it comes to keeping Davis in the show's orbit.  That's to be expected, but to try and do what's happening to Jason when he's the lead character, just stop.  The name of the show is SEAL Team.  We know Jason's going to remain a SEAL.  Trying to convince us that he might not is just ridiculous.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohmo said:

From a TV standpoint, this is always curious to me.  New Amsterdam is in a similar situation, and it makes little sense to me there, too.  It's in its first season, and the lead character received a cancer diagnosis in the series premiere.  WTF?  No network is going to kill off a lead character for a series that just launched, so I find the whole storyline a tedious waste of time.

I agree with you.  If Jason Hayes were an actual person, he should indeed retire.  Yet, I know that CBS is not going to get rid of a big-name actor like David in year two of a struggling series, particularly when he stepped in to become the lead after there were creative differences with the initial actor who was to play Jason.  I think this is when showrunners need to remember that they're making a TV show and viewers know it's a TV show.  Probability is high that we're going to have to do some TV handwaving when it comes to keeping Davis in the show's orbit.  That's to be expected, but to try and do what's happening to Jason when he's the lead character, just stop.  The name of the show is SEAL Team.  We know Jason's going to remain a SEAL.  Trying to convince us that he might not is just ridiculous.

I think it’s a great potential storyline and premise for a show but doesn’t work if you have a network show you’re hoping will run for years and you won’t kill the character. The plan doesn’t get adapted accordingly and then it has to be ignored or fixed. Some shows will kill main characters but they’ve been got to commit to a timeline.

It’s a lazy way to create tension and for some reason it’s their favourite one. Alana wants him to retire, he gets a serious injury, Alana dies leaving him a single parent, he’s getting old, he could use more money and it’s only been 2 seasons. He’s probably spent half of the show circling around retirement that either will never happen or will happen in the final episode. Jason is abrasive enough that the character should be fine to generate conflict to create tension around himself. The danger aspect should be generating that tension and suspense more than anything because the writers aren’t great with the homelife parts. If they had to have one false flag about him retiring it should have been around Alana dying. It should have spanned more episodes of him at home or a time jump and then been wrapped up for real with some solution that can be ignored. Like the grandparents conveniently swooping in and Emma not having this college arc.

It’s like Ray hiding an injury one season and this crap right now. Pick something else the second time around. It makes the character look awful that he’s on his second round of hiding a problem in about a year. They could have extended how everyone else dealt with him lying about his shoulder and putting himself and others at danger for months. Or that he’s got to be the calmer head for the team. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FakeItTil said:

The plan doesn’t get adapted accordingly and then it has to be ignored or fixed. Some shows will kill main characters but they’ve been got to commit to a timeline. 

I think we're agreeing with each other.  Agreed, that some shows will kill of main characters, but let's not pretend that that's actually a possibility here at this point.  If we were in Season 6, then maybe for storyline purposes.  However, in a show that's in its second season, there's no way that you're going to use a guy as well known as David for only two seasons and then exit his lead character from the combat part of a military series.  The only way that would ever happen is for a BTS reason, which clearly isn't the case here.

So, yeah, the conflict for Jason needs to come from other sources other than "will Jason retire" or even "will the team be broken apart" because even if it is, it's not going to stay that way long-term.  It's indeed lazy writing, when there are other topics to explore, such as more of the fact that Jason is in the position that he thought was more likely that Alana would be in.  That would make more of Emma's behavior make sense, but the show is only staying on the surface of that.

I'd have more empathy for Emma if she maybe talked about the fact that, while she undoubtedly loves Jason, she's probably not as emotionally connected to him because he's always been gone due to his job.  She's lost the person that she's most connected with (and so has Jason)), and now Emma and Jason are faced with building a connection with might not be as strong as it could be.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

I think we're agreeing with each other.  Agreed, that some shows will kill of main characters, but let's not pretend that that's actually a possibility here at this point.  If we were in Season 6, then maybe for storyline purposes.  However, in a show that's in its second season, there's no way that you're going to use a guy as well known as David for only two seasons and then exit his lead character from the combat part of a military series.  The only way that would ever happen is for a BTS reason, which clearly isn't the case here.

So, yeah, the conflict for Jason needs to come from other sources other than "will Jason retire" or even "will the team be broken apart" because even if it is, it's not going to stay that way long-term.  It's indeed lazy writing, when there are other topics to explore, such as more of the fact that Jason is in the position that he thought was more likely that Alana would be in.  That would make more of Emma's behavior make sense, but the show is only staying on the surface of that.

I'd have more empathy for Emma if she maybe talked about the fact that, while she undoubtedly loves Jason, she's probably not as emotionally connected to him because he's always been gone due to his job.  She's lost the person that she's most connected with (and so has Jason)), and now Emma and Jason are faced with building a connection with might not be as strong as it could be.

Hmm. I believe we are. I expect Boreanaz to outlast the show. If he were physically at or near a limit I could see Jason being killed or removed from action, but I don’t think he is. I don’t see the show lasting long enough for that to change and the man seems happy to be on shows for the long haul. 

The great irony is of course that they were semi-handed a good storyline with alana’s actress leaving. The parent everyone expected to die out of the two being the surviving parent is interesting. They just had zero intention of exploring that with him at home and decided some clumsy college storyline was the way to go.

Emma isn’t a well developed enough character for that to land well for me. It would make sense narratively but we’ve never seen enough of her to go in depth and have it carry much weight. Alana definitely reached her limit with how long or how much she would sacrifice with him and kids don’t choose to be born so they didn’t sign up for thta lifestyle. It makes a lot of sense that the parent-child relationship would be strained. It’s just that Emma wasn’t much of a character and then got shoehorned into a partial Alana replacement role in Jason’s life without adding much depth to her. They might be trying to say something or solve the single parent problem with Emma wanting to go to NYC and Mikey wanting to go to... hockey boarding school? Both kids wanting to be out of his immediate orbit. 

14 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Maybe they have trouble with the female characters who aren't part of the team?

Alana got really annoying with literally every conversation being about Jason retiring. There were hardly 5 minutes on screen with these two, where there wasn't some form of her telling him to give it up.

Now with Emma, they're using the college thing to a ridiculous level, when so many more organic conflicts could have been used.

Yes, if they'd built up more sympathy and spent more time with Emma before making her the major focus of a story, it would have been so much better. And maybe if we could see her in moments of weakness, explaining the heavy load of trying to navigate financing her entire education, taking care of the home, and mapping out her life, without her mother there to help her, it would go a long way toward making her sympathetic. Her just yelling it at him in one line, didn't cut it. 

Emma is going through a lot. She's had a complete life change. But the way they're choosing to show the manifestation of that, AKA making her a bratty teenager, is the easy way out but also makes the viewer lose empathy and sympathy points.

I think it’s that and part of it is because they’re used as opposition to their careers. That’s their main function as characters and you know unless an actor wants out they’re all staying on the team. It’s just pointless back and forth. All they exist for is supporting and opposing/distracting from the careers of main characters. If you’re going to have that homelife component then you need to give those characters real lives. They’ve also lost two of the female characters from the start of the show and I’d argue Stella had the most character work out of anyone not on the team.

I can find sympathy for Emma’s because it’s a ludicrous situation, but it’s pretty purely situational sympathy because she’s barely a character. And I’m weirded out how they kind of plopped her into a modified Alana role like that.

5 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

I think you're right.

The only "conflict" they can think of is to have the family be an annoying fly in the ointment of his career.

It's true. He's home for five minutes, fights with whatever woman is in the house, whether it's Alana or Emma, and then leaves to go get shot at, just to take a break from it all. Agreed that Emma has turned into Alana 2.0. There's absolutely no connection to these characters at all.

I know it's possible for these people to have a stable home life to go back to, but the only example they had of that was Ray, and so they've taken a guy who was a really great character and turned him into a Grade-A a$$hole, both at home and away. His justification for his behavior is ridiculous and isn't explored in a way where you can sympathize with him at all.

Every once in a while, they do call attention to the fact that these guys bottle up their emotions and don't have a healthy outlet, yet drop it the next episode.

This IS a problem. Ray has guilt, but rather than seeking to talk it out and get through it, he's looking to get together with this woman. Jason is all tied up in knots about his daughter's education, yet is going to absolutely nobody to receive help, financially or otherwise. Expecting his teenage daughter to take care of the financing for her education, is insane. Yes, as a kid, she can do some research and present him with the possibilities, but the rest should be on him to figure that sh*t out.

They don’t get that you don’t need constant, melodramatic conflict with their personal lives. Presumably Jason and Alana were fairly stable until she hit her limit, but the show has never shown that. Ray’s relationship is a mess, idk how Naima is supposed to forgive him regardless of his reasons why or if he had sex with this other woman. He’s been ridiculous. Somehow Sonny’s secret relationship with Davis is the healthiest relationship shown now.

They do this weird thing with therapy and even talking to someone about their feelings where it’s never seriously followed through with and is usually scoffed at. Yet it’s clearly needed, they’re nudged/pushed towards it and it’s briefly positive when they deign to do it. I’m not going to say it’s unrealistic but it’s frustrating to watch. 

They've done Ray so dirty as a character. He started really well (probably my fave to start) and now he’s throwing his marriage away and spiraling at work over some pos’ soul. Maybe I don’t have the religious background to get it but I just don’t care. The man was a monster in life so whatever. Ray has inevitably killed people and denied them their proper religious death ritual or burial experience before that. The crisis of faith came out of nowhere, Ray isn’t doing anything to help himself and it’s not well explored. Until Clay got hurt Jason was supposedly on this sweet deployment and his grand accomplishment during that time was being talked to about a job. The best was when she’d done work on whatever it was about school and he couldn’t be bothered to check his email.

The college saga continues to make zero sense and was a mistake.

• Love 2