Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Santa Clarita Diet

Yeah I would've expected the cast would've said something if had been officially cancelled. 

• Like 1

Effing Netflix!  I thought this was a popular show for them and was pretty confident for a fourth season.  I didn't even finish this season yet, so now I am really going to take my time with it seeing that will be the end. Waaaa!

• Like 3

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a27291894/netflix-santa-clarita-diet-cancelled-drew-barrymore-axe/

it seems like the cancellation came as a shock to the cast and crew. I am very disappointed. It's one of the funniest shows out at the moment and unlike a lot of shows it is well-written. There are so many great, quotable lines and the actors are all very impressive.

I tend to get Netflix for a month or two to catch up on something I want to watch then cancel it for a while. This time I renewed my membership mainly for Santa Clarita Diet. I have now cancelled my membership again and given this cancellation as my reason. Normally if a show I like gets cancelled i hope that Netflix will pick it up but this definitely feels like the end. 

• Like 4

This is why I think Netflix will ultimately lose in the streaming wars.   It is not that they don’t have the online content.  They actually do.  The problem is that they cancel their own content after two or three seasons and call it a success.   I would rather spend my limited funds on a service that I know has a better chance of following through on a show to the end for better and worse.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 2

We weren't thrilled with this season, still have 2 episodes left to go and usually binge them all at once.  But we loved the first season and thought season two was even better.  The cast on this show has been amazing.  The writing has been so clever and smart.  Definitely sorry to see it go. 

And yeah, I will add another F-You to netflix.  They are starting to really piss people off. 

Edited by Cementhead · Reason: Because F-You netflix
  • Like 1

What is Netflix thinking. Everyone is going to start having streaming services. If they keep canceling the shows that are the reason I'm keeping my sub, what reason do I need to keep them. I'll stop checking out their shows and cancel and spend money on the others.

• Like 3

The other big issue is that Netflix used to be known for at least giving their shows a closure if they did end. They never ended their shows on a cliffhanger when they had the quality over quantity factor. But now that they have dozens of shows out and dozens of shows in production, it's harder to do that...but they're also making their long term customers suffer with cancelling their older shows. They're competing with several streaming services right now, and with more coming out. Cancelling their older shows to try to make gold with newer shows isn't the way to do it, because they're just driving people away. Of course people like me are starting to look at other streaming services! When they cancel shows like this, it makes me less inclined to stick around. 

• Like 1

I got them canceling the Marvel shows since Disney + is about to take away half their content. But shows like One Day at Time and Santa Clarita Diet were not about to go to some competition. I'm not going to be inclined to check out any of their new shows if they keep canceling the shows I already watch to have those new shows. 

• Like 3

I’m so bummed. This was such a fun show and kept getting better and better. 

I’m really tired of Netflix cancelling shows I like, but what makes it particularly frustrating IMO is that they don’t release any numbers so who knows what their criteria is or what's considered successful for any given show. 

Edited by Evie

I get that for netflix the whole business model pretty mush requires them to keep having the new hot show that gets tons of buzz and drives new subscribers. But at the same time, having a bunch of shows in your library that don't get a proper ending is going to hurt things too since new subscribers are going to be less likely to try an older show if it isn't a full story. So I wonder why they don't give these shows the option to come back for a final episode or 2 to finish things off?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I get that for netflix the whole business model pretty mush requires them to keep having the new hot show that gets tons of buzz and drives new subscribers. But at the same time, having a bunch of shows in your library that don't get a proper ending is going to hurt things too since new subscribers are going to be less likely to try an older show if it isn't a full story. So I wonder why they don't give these shows the option to come back for a final episode or 2 to finish things off?

They do if fans scream loudly enough. Sense8 was cancelled and Netflix brought it back for a 2 hour movie to finish it. That show only had 2 seasons. It may not have been the most popular show ever but it was probably the most diverse show on television. Certainly the show with the most representation and international appeal. 

If they are only going to give shows 2 to 3 seasons and not tell them that they are going to really start losing out to other streaming services. 

• Like 3

Well, hell.  I just heard about this.  I get that Netflix's business model is a little different and it's in flux right, but surely it can't help them if people realize that any shows they like could be cancelled at any time with no satisfying ending, just like regular old network TV.

Netflix you suck!  Why did they let this show end on such a cliffhanger?  I'm hoping they'll allow an episode or two to finish it off or the writers will at least give us a general idea of what was going on with Mr. Ball Legs.

I actually thought this season was not as good as the first two BUT the ending really grabbed my attention and I was all in for whenever season 4 would have dropped.  Alas.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

What is Netflix thinking. Everyone is going to start having streaming services. If they keep canceling the shows that are the reason I'm keeping my sub, what reason do I need to keep them. I'll stop checking out their shows and cancel and spend money on the others.

Yeah, same here. I kept Netflix because of Gilmore Girls, and because of all of the shows I have yet to watch, that are on there for a long time, come and go, or their own shows that I know should be there as long as I have the subscription. The whole point of keeping it was that I thought they would let all of their shows come to a proper end - there were so many people that wanted them to pick up other cancelled shows, and finish them, or let them continue. If they're going to pull the same crap as network TV, then I'm done. 

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Most of the new shows on Netflix are just shows that aired in other countries, a lot of them were cancelled and don't really have a satisfying conclusion. Netflix really screwed themselves when they started paying comedians so much money just to do a special. They would have been better off buying a whole bunch of old comedy specials from lots of different countries.

• Like 1

They have become fairly aggressive lately - they cancelled Daredevil when a lot of people hadn't even started watching the season (although as already noted, that's because of the Disney brouhaha).

I'm really gutted about this.  Not giving the show enough notice to not land on a cliffhanger? Not even giving them a wrap-up (which they could easily do)? Get fucked, Netflix, seriously.  I've canned my account and told them why.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2019 at 1:21 PM, non sequitur said:

I saw the news on another website and was really shocked. Not thrilled about the recent Netflix cancellation spree, especially of popular shows.

I just heard about it too. Never watched any of the shows as I don't have Netflix, but I feel bad for you guys. It really, really sucks when shows are cancelled.

Wondering if any of the cancellations are money related, ie: Netflix doesn't want to pay cast/crew more.

Just now learned of the cancellation of this wonderful show. So much quotable dialog! It seems Netflix has a business structure that makes producing successful shows more expensive after the third season, so they just pull the shows. Not a good decision. Winner shows are what make your network, you dimwits!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katalina said:

Winner shows are what make your network, you dimwits!

I am not sure that is true, or at least I am not sure that is what Netflix thinks. Just using my own example cancling Santa Clarita is probably not going to be what causes me to cancel my subscription. I am sure that is the same for a lot of people. And at this point a 4th season of an established show probably isn't going to be something that increases subscribers. So in Netflix's eyes it doesn't really lead to an increase in revenue. But if they launch a new show instead and it gets really popular right out of the gate, that absolutely could lead to a big increase in subscribers, many of whom probably won't cancel when that hot new show ends. The problem is if you end up with too many shows without proper endings, then people will be less likely to sign up and check them out when they are new.

• Like 2

I found out before I went to sleep in the early hours of this morning, and went to the site to their section for requesting shows - typed "Renew Santa Clarita Diet" in all three boxes.

I haven't watched the new season yet, because we've had two birthdays here, and I made a stupid decision to try to binge Homeland, on a free trial of youtube TV. Seven seasons is too much. I had started Santa Clarita from the beginning, just before my birthday, planning to watch it all since it's easy to binge. Damn it. I did wonder if not watching it right away, played into their decision - if a lot of people did that, instead of jumping in right away (which I usually do). 

Yes, Kel, I think that is their model---that established shows don't actually bring the returns that new shows do. But does everything need to be the bean-counter mentality? Plus, if there are established shows, with good resolutions, doesn't that become part of their library, which is viewed by new viewers? And, isnt' there something of an artistic obligation, to finish a show without a cliffhanger? (I hope I don't sound too naive, with the "artistic obligation" remark...)

• Like 1

Anela----how do I find the "request shows" part of Netflix online? I'd like to add my vote!

• Like 1