Type keyword(s) to search

Santa Clarita Diet - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well I may have just binged the entire thing and will now have to wait another 12 months!

Have to say the trailer wasn't doing it for me and I was a bit worried but I absolutely adored the season.  I won't spoil too much as we only have a single thread, but between the flossing kid, the (apparently immortal) Dr Luka and HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING I thought it was hilarious and brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Well I may have just binged the entire thing and didn't once think I should stop watching.

Whoever stole Drew Barrymore's bra, don't give it back.

Still early so I can wait for you guys to catch up and comment.

Bad Mr. Ball-Legs!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, GSManiac said:

I’m just watching the first episode and wow the General really looks like Ty Burrell. They could be brothers!

I had never seen the actor Goran Visnjic from ER and Timeless, who plays Dobrivoje Poplovic from Serbia. I had seen all of the Modern Family episodes, so I had to make sure that wasn't Ty Burrell, because the actor really appeared to speak the language.

Also just watched the first 3. Really enjoying it. Timothy & Drew play off of each other so well. 

I stopped only because I don't have a ton of stuff to watch right now so spreading it out a bit.

• Like 1

Just finished Season 3 and loved it! I was worried that the writers could not possibly keep the humor up after a hilarious Season 2, but they nailed it yet again. Timothy Olyphant continues to be a comedy revelation, but this season Abby has become my favorite Hammond. Joel and Sheila = couple goals.  Anne has always been the one character that annoys me so it was great to have less of her this season, especially since it gave us more Ron and the addition of great new characters in Jean (Linda Lavin) and Tommy (Ethan Suplee).

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Some more (semi-spoilery) thoughts on the whole season:

Yeah the Ron/Jean/Tommy power walk was awesome, and it was nice that Sheila and Joel have friends who are loyal enough to go and rescue them.

Abby/Eric's defeat of the two Serbian henchmen was good too - I mean we know that Abby's a badass but Eric distracting them by offering himself was also brave and funny.

Dr Luka and the henchmen were used exactly the right amount - enough to be amusing, but not so much that they outstayed their welcome (Umbrella Academy, take note).  At the end of the day I'm here for the Hammonds + Eric.

Sheila pulling herself along the pole that had impaled her was the only time I've had to wince and look away in this series.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Started binge-watching last night but kept nodding off---NOT because of the show but because it was LATE. So I got a very choppy uneven sense of the story. And today I'm cooking several dishes for a friend's birthday dinner, so I haven't had a seamless binge watch yet. But I have to say I love most of it, and don't miss Anne at all. In fact, I never liked Anne; she seems like "Dan-lite," what with her nosiness and confrontational attitude. I do miss Nathan Fillion, and the new Gary head is gross. I understand that the Gary-head can't eat (no digestive tract) so will decay, unlike Sheila. And in the metaverse, I understand Nathan Fillion is busy with another show. Still, couldn't the production folks have made a replacement head that looked more like NF? Quibbling from someone who over-thinks shows sometimes...

the Ron/Jean/Tommy power walk was awesome

Absolutely, a highlight. I didn't recognize that Jean is played by Linda Lavin until I saw it posted up-page.

I love the whole cast, but Timothy Olyphant continues to amaze and amuse me hugely. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I keep forgetting how much I love this show.   Every season gets better then the one before.  The first scene with Shiela, Joel and Abby had me laughing more then most comedies do.  Maybe because I really like the dark humor.  Abby and Eric were all kinds of cute in this.  i really love the push and pull of them this season.  The scene in the high school hallway where they "broke up" was all kinds of funny.    The show had a good amount of guest stars but they don't overcrowd the show.   Its all about the family dynamic and Eric and that's how it should be.  Loved how good Abby actually was at killing people and that it wasn't the killing that worried her it was that her parent's weren't including her in their assorted mayhem.  Plus...cliffhanger.

If there is no 4th season I will be upset.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought it was a little meta the original member of the Knights of Serbia in Santa Clarita quit to move to Hawaii since the actor is now a regular on Magnum P.I. which is filmed in Hawaii.

Plus, hadn't that knight (was his name Paul?) and his girlfriend Marsha had talked about starting a family. Nice way to work in the plot line if the actor was going to Hawaii!

• Love 1

More absolutely wild fake names from Joel & Sheila:

Charles and Helen Darwin.

Ray Eastman...Kodak.  

Sometimes I laugh so hard at these I miss subsequent dialogue.  Were there any more?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Adding to the chorus loving the new season. I enjoyed all the new characters, and was glad to see growth in all the returning series regulars. After watching her for years on It's All Relative and Psych, I got a kick out of seeing Maggie Lawson let loose with the expletives - much more effective than if they'd given those lines to Joel McHale.

My only disappointment was with them bringing on Malcolm Barrett to play Jonathan Slavin's zombie-fied internet friend, and not have them share a mini-"Better Off Ted" Lem and Phil reunion scene. Otherwise, a terrific 10 episodes - and I can't wait for (hopefully) Season 4 to find out how this Joel/Mr. Ball Legs fusion storyline plays out.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Ended up binging the last 7 episodes. Great season and can honestly say I didn't see exactly where the writers were going to take us after season 2. Glad they have found so much material to mine and just keep the pace moving. Basically no filler in the entire series. 

Loved the guest stars and since no one has mentioned it yet, the Wedding Singer reunion. 

I knew it wasn't Nathan Fillion voicing Gary anymore, but I had no idea they brought in Alan Tudyk. Surprised they had such a big actor.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2019 at 6:47 AM, pootlus said:

the flossing kid

That whole video sequence was incredible, and then the flossing kid. A+ choice on the music too. I had tears from laughing too hard.

• Love 5

I'm glad this weird, gross show is back. I don't like waiting until I watch the whole thing to comment though. 

I love badass Abby taking out all the Zombies. they do need take Abby with them she's much better at than they are. I was so happy she got to use the wolverine looking knife. 

Although Joel actually killed a living Dr. Luka. Of course now he has Mr. Ball legs in his head. I was wondering if we were going to see what Ramona's Mr. Ball legs did go the motel manager. I'm assuming it was something similar. 

I like Abby and Eric because it's not rushed and she was really trying to figure out if she liked him like that and wanted to protect him. I figured she'd go to him after he risked his life to save her. 

Liked seeing Ramona back now that I've seen the actress play a completely different characters on Legends of Tomorrow. Phil and Lem! Too bad they didn't share a scene. Also having Alan Tudyk replace Nathan Fillion by just messing up Gary's face. 

Eric's mom: "where's your liquor?"

Joel: "at 11am?"

Eric's mom: "why does it move around?" 

I hope we get another season. I need to know what happens with Mr. Ball legs and Joel. Which is probably not a sentence you want to say to someone that doesn't watch this show. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Just now completed my second binge-watch (the first being incomplete and interrupted) and just caught the very end of ep. 10. Sheila biting Joel is the big news to me.

Edited by Katalina
  • Love 1

Wow, that was a terrific third season. I feel like it moved very quickly for me. Maybe it helped that I watched in chunks, so I had time to process a batch of episodes.

Abby was such a delight this season. She was really the highlight in the way that Joel was a highlight for me in season two (and still is this season). I loved everything that Abby was going through and how she dealt with things. I'm surprised with how much I love the Abby/Eric push-pull relationship. I thought it played out nicely. 

I liked the whole Serbia story this season. I think the show has done well in using the villains and the whole backstory sparingly and focused more on the Hammonds. I liked Poplovic and his henchmen. 

I really liked the trio of Ron, Tommy, and Jean by the end. I love that they have an undead grandma coming to kick ass. I was just thinking how immortality on television never hits the elderly and it's always the young folk who get turned either by vampires or zombies. And, if the elderly are turned, they're never more than bit characters. So it's nice that Jean is so awesome. 

Now, that ending. I had a feeling with how it was going to go, but they really went all out. Mr. Ball Legs, what did you do?!?! 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

The show had better get renewed for a fourth season so we find out what happens to Joel.  Sheila bit him so he should become undead, but the first thing that happens is the 'insane amount of vomit' (thank you Gary) with their own Mr Ball Legs, so does that mean that Joel now has two Mr Ball Legs?  Are they fighting for control of Joel?

Liked that Gary not only set up the Hammonds' real estate empire using a headset from the basement, but that he also pitched for a new job! Thank you, teleworking.  I must admit I didn't even notice the Fillion/Tudyk change which is a testament to how well it was done.

Also loved Lisa going all momma bear to protect Eric and clearing out Dan's closet to put the FBI lady off, then chewing Eric and Abby out over their actions.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Wow - I feel like this show has really reached a great stride. I have enjoyed all 3 seasons but this one was my favorite so far. 

The highlight of the entire series for me was seeing Julia Sullivan eat Glenn Guglia, lol. That was an amazing piece of stunt casting. 

Abby and Eric are adorable, and I like the potential of them having a third friend to wreak havoc with. 

Love Linda Lavin, and loved the UNIFORMS! 

They HAVE to do season 4 after that ending. They HAVE TO. It should be a law. 

On a shallow note, Timothy Olyphant is my forever TV boyfriend. I didn't think he could get any hotter than he was as Raylan, but damn. DAMN. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Finished watching the series and thought it was great fun. Was anyone else annoyed that Sheila wanted to convert Joel and made him feel guilty about being hesitant? Only a month of time has passed since Sheila was changed and they still know next to nothing about her condition. Why risk turning Abby's one living parent into something that still has so many unknowns. Heck, they don't even know if zombiehood confers immortality; it may just be a temporary phase that only lasts for a few weeks to months. And what are they planning to do with Abby? Are they going to convert her too? 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Garden Wafers said:

Heck, they don't even know if zombiehood confers immortality; it may just be a temporary phase that only lasts for a few weeks to months. And what are they planning to do with Abby? Are they going to convert her too? 

I am sure they would want grandchildren.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, pootlus said:

Yeah the Ron/Jean/Tommy power walk was awesome,

Make sure you stick around for the credits at the end of the last episode for more of this.

This show is hysterically funny.  I love it.

Desert Thunder!

(Storm)

Desert Thunderstorm!

(Drop the thunder)

Desert Drop the Thunder!

I am probably quoting that wrong but am laughing just thinking about it...

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Just finished this last night. If they had dropped the cliff-hanger it would have made a nice series finale. Don't get me wrong, I hope like hell there's another season, but if there isn't I'm going to be hopping mad. They still haven't explained what the purpose of Mr. Ball Legs is. 

Eric is still my MVP but all the characters are great. Plus there were so many little series reunions between Timeless, Better off Ted and (sort of) Firefly. When I saw the new Gary head I figured Nathan Fillion just wasn't available for this season but I had no idea they replaced him with Alan Tudyk until I saw the end credits. Too funny.

• Love 7
On 4/1/2019 at 11:59 AM, Stiggs said:

On a shallow note, Timothy Olyphant is my forever TV boyfriend. I didn't think he could get any hotter than he was as Raylan, but damn. DAMN. 

Catch him next in the Deadwood movie that comes out May 31st. There are already 3 seasons of the Deadwood series out on HBO. He plays a completely different character, but is very handsome as Seth Bullock. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Catch him next in the Deadwood movie that comes out May 31st. There are already 3 seasons of the Deadwood series out on HBO. He plays a completely different character, but is very handsome as Seth Bullock. 

Loved him on Deadwood - had no idea there is an upcoming movie! Woo hoo! Thanks you! 

• Love 2
On 4/1/2019 at 8:59 AM, Stiggs said:

The highlight of the entire series for me was seeing Julia Sullivan eat Glenn Guglia, lol. That was an amazing piece of stunt casting. 

I’ve seen The Wedding Singer more times than I can count and  can’t believe I didn’t even think of that! 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I’ve seen The Wedding Singer more times than I can count and  can’t believe I didn’t even think of that! 

It took me a few minutes and then I literally clapped, lol. Loved it!

• Love 1

That was an interesting denouement for the season.  Wonder what Mr. Ball Legs is up to?  I thought Sheila could have been not quite so quick to bite "Joelle."  Maybe check for a pulse and breathing first?  Who knows what the combination of having MBL in his brain AND being bitten by an undead will do?

I personally could have done with less of the teen characters.  They didn't bother me as much the first couple of seasons but now they are just annoying.  I'm not sure what it is.

• Love 1

Love this show more than chocolate itself. I did the same thing some of you others may have - watched the first ep of season 3, then realized I needed to go back and re-binge 1 & 2 again. Then finished binging 3. My god.  Best line of season 3 for me was something like "we need to find more Nazis, fortunately there are more of them around than ever".  I was sorry that we lost neighbor Rick (Richard T. Jones) but giving us Goran Visnijc instead was a pretty nice consolation prize.  Can't wait for a few months or so to pass so I can binge this again!

• Love 6

Aww, I just finished the last episode and was hoping I wouldn't want anymore...but I do. Wah. 😢

This show really did keep getting better and the ending did leave interesting cliffhangers...that we'll never find out about. 😢

I knew Joel was going to say, Mama. There were so many things said that made me laugh out loud. I wish I could remember all the funny lines.