Type keyword(s) to search

Van Helsing - General Discussion

Bort
  • Start Topic

At this point, I don't know why I'm still watching this show, besides the fact that I have nothing better to do on a Friday night in mid October. I still like a number of the characters but damn the storylines are just...dumb. The show was at it's best in the first season and a half while it was still a clever blend of sci-fi and horror but now with all the mystical crap that makes no sense whatsoever, it's just a hard slog. If it wasn't for Axel, Julius and Phil, I'd probably be totally done with this.

• Love 1

I'm riding with the show till the end.... Halfway through the epi though I figged the two girls were sisters... I'm thinking maybe they are the brides of the dark one.. Or secret van helsings somehow 

I actually enjoyed last night's episode. The back story on Neal McDonough's character, Hansen was pretty good. I am confused is he the biological father of Vanessa's daughters? I don't see how since he is an ancient vampire. 

I liked Violet's boyfriend. Too bad we won't be seeing him again.

(edited)

I just started watching. It's better than I expected. Although the main character is kinda boring. 

The boss vampires could wash their faces once in a while. Just saying. They're kinda gross.

Episode 1.07. Seriously, Julius. Gross. I like that Vanessa isn't entirely invulnerable. This show is so dark I couldn't see what was different about the one that bit her. Also, I  wasn't paying a lot of attention.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1

What is wrong with Mohammad, he is a really good actor! Sam, although he is a hateful character is also a very good actor, Vanessa on the other hand is terrible. I wish that knife would cut her tongue off the next time she licks it. I much preferred Scarlet but of course they killed her off! 

• Love 1
(edited)

NOTE: The following hate filled rant is the result of 5 years of growing frustration with a show being obviously dismantled by network assclowns. I can't guarantee that inappropriate language won't be used.

"And here we go.."-The Joker "The Dark Knight"

::sighs::

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to go back to Netflix and rewatch season one of "Van Helsing" to see if I had missed something. Maybe, I thought, this show wasn't all that good at first, and I was just deluding myself. Turns out, it's better than I had remembered it. Yeah, it's got a few problems, mostly due to the inadequacy of its female lead but for the most part it's a really well acted and not badly written story. I found myself really enjoying the adventures of Axel, Phil/Flesh, Doc, and the rest of the S1 gang. Which brings me to...

Where to begin with the first 3 episodes of season five? Hmmm. I believe the appropriate response can be found in this line from S1 of HBO's police procedural masterpiece "The Wire": "Fuckity, fuck, fuck fuck."

I had missed the first few episodes because I hadn't realize that Siffy had the balls to continue on with this trainwreck. So yesterday I binged the first 3. Bloody hell, I honestly didn't think they could make more of a sow's ear out of this thing than they did in S4 but somehow they managed to pull it off. I mean, Kelly Overton was never a particularly good actress but damn, Nicole Munoz (Jack) makes her look like Dame Judy fucking Dench. God damn it, show. You dropped the entire supporting cast for this chick. Jack is a badly written, one dimensional parody of a character to begin with but Munoz just make her that much worse. To make it suck even further, her poor acting skills are communicable because they've apparently spread to Trisha Helfer and Kim Coates. KIM COATES. This guy has been one of my favorite actors for over 20 years and over the course of these episodes I was cheering for the Dark One to rip his throat out...if only to stop that God awful attempt at a (British?) accent he was doing.

This whole 3 episode "time travelling" mini arc was just stupid to begin with. I'm not even sure what the point was. Okay, we got "Dracula's" origin story (and mighty boring it was). Any cool points it was going to get for trying to be at least creative with changing the gender of The Dark  Prince (bater)::insert "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" joke here:: immediately got tossed with the absolutely lame and dull execution of the story line. There was absolutely nothing of interest in any of the performances, which ranged from bad to truly awful. The direction was all over the place and the dialogue is utterly laughable. The fact that the acting and writing of season one are now fresh in my mind again, only serve to make the disparity even worse. I know Jonathan Scarfe is doing the directing, and while I continue to love him as an actor, I  have to say, he's not doing himself any favors here.

So anyway, now that we're back in the "present" maybe we'll start to see some of the original characters again but I'm not holding out much hope. I don't think I've ever seen a show fall in overall quality so far...so fast. It's just a shame really. This thing had such great potential once upon a time. Now it's not even good enough to be hot garbage. It's become nothing more but the rotting corpse of season one.

Ends rant and walks away weeping....

Edited by Philbert

5.04 "State of the Union"

Okay, that was a LOT better. At least we get Axel, Doc and Julius back and they went back to basics for this-the three of them trapped in a medical facility while being besieged by crazed "super vampires." Nice little nod to "Aliens" with Axel having to look for vampires in the air ducts. So yeah, this part of the episode was pretty good....

Sadly, Tricia Helfer continues to bore the hell out of me as "The Dark One." She's overdramatic and hammy and not remotely frightening. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me miss Rebecca from S1. Laura Mennel was really menacing as the vampire from hell...Helfer is just dull. Oh well...I'm just watching to see how bad it can get. Still, this is the best episode of the season so far.

A clip show? A frelling clip show in 2021?

I'm desperately to keep going with this trainwreck of a show, if only for a sense of completion but seriously....that's how you bring Vanessa back into the show?

And that, is precisely how NOT to end a long running series.

On the positive side, my pain is now over and I can move on to hating the next piece of trash that Siffy feels like throwing at me.

Good night all. It's been fun. Well, not really but you know what I mean :)

On 6/12/2021 at 12:10 AM, Philbert said:

A clip show? A frelling clip show in 2021?

I'm desperately to keep going with this trainwreck of a show, if only for a sense of completion but seriously....that's how you bring Vanessa back into the show?

I did not mind the clip show, only because it featured the characters that I actually cared about (Mohamad and Sam) and not Vanessa's daughters who I could care less about.  Like you, I just wanted to watch this show to completion.  It was a show that I used to watch with my late father and so it did have a sort of sentimental value to me for that reason.  My father really liked Christopher Heyerdahl as Sam as did I and we both liked him as the Swede on Hell on Wheels.

• Love 1