Type keyword(s) to search

True Tori - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Then who pays for all of Tori’s vacations? It seems like she DOES continue to spend constantly on stupid stuff.

I’m assuming AmEx does. I meant I doubt Candy gives her cash. She can’t stop Tori from using credit. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I’m assuming AmEx does. I meant I doubt Candy gives her cash. She can’t stop Tori from using credit. 

I cannot believe Am Ex would even give them a card at this point. I once got behind on one of my many credit cards, and true other quickly canceled my accounts (even though I had never paid late on those accounts). Haven’t Tori and Dean been taken to court because they owed so much? Something is just not right here.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I cannot believe Am Ex would even give them a card at this point. I once got behind on one of my many credit cards, and true other quickly canceled my accounts (even though I had never paid late on those accounts). Haven’t Tori and Dean been taken to court because they owed so much? Something is just not right here.

Well Amex is one of the creditors complaining right? 

Maybe Candy does pay if Tori convinces her it’s really for the kiddos. 

• Love 1

January 30, 2019

Tori Spelling’s financial woes continue as the Beverly Hills 90210 star is in hot water with a credit card giant. The actress and her husband, actor Dean McDermott’s financial bills are on the rise as the couple owes more than $88,000 to American Express for failing to pay a grossly overdue credit card bill.

Court documents obtained by US Weekly show that Spelling simply stopped paying her credit card bill for months. She racked up significant debt and just ignored it. As a result, American Express filed a court order at the beginning of 2019 to force her to pay.

In 2016, Spelling owed reportedly American Express “more than”  $38,000 according to Radar Online. Cleary she owed double what was reported when the bill came due. The credit card company tried to collect for the last three years and claimed Spelling hadn’t made a payment since 2015, according to US Weekly.

When Spelling finally made one payment of $1,070, it bounced. AMEX first sued Spelling in 2016 for payment and the latest demand is a court order to make the payment.

AMEX isn’t the only creditor Spelling owes. Citibank, which acted as a debt buyer, filed a motion to collect $5,000 from Spelling in 2018, Radar Onlinereports. “Within four years last past, Defendant became indebted to Citibank, N.A. on an open book account for money due in the sum of at least $5,078.47,” according to the lawsuit.

The couple must have gone on a spending spree in 2016 as McDermott was on the hook for failing to repay a $400,000 bank loan. City National Bank sued the couple for $200,000 for failure to repay the loan. Court documents obtained by US Weekly asserted the couple owed both principal and late charges.

“As of December 2, 2016, Defendants [Tori and Dean] owe Plaintiff [City National Bank] an unpaid principal balance in the amount of $185,714.05, plus interest in the amount of $2,407.92 and late charges in the amount of $681.41, for a total of $188,803.38,” the document reads. “These amounts remain due, owing and unpaid. Interest, attorney’s fees and costs continue to accrue.”

City National Bank also demanded Spelling repay $17,149.09, which she withdrew from the bank in 2016, Radar Online reports. Spelling and McDermott also failed to pay taxes on their Los Angeles, California home, which resulted in a tax lien.

Her reported net worth is about $500,000 and as of 2016, she said she was not bankrupt. “It was one chapter. I thought I was being relatable, talking about how celebrities go through financial struggles, too, we make mistakes, too,” she told People in 2016. “We’re not perfect, we have made a lot of choices financially with real estate that didn’t work out … and that just escalated into this story about financial struggles, bankruptcy. To this day that haunts me!” Spelling currently touts a new “global beauty business that I have grown across multiple countries in just two years,” according to a recent Instagram post.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/is-tori-spelling-bankrupt-why-american-express-is-suing-the-90210-star.html/

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

What in the actual hell is wrong with her/them? Stop adding children to your family until you actually figure out how to live as a responsible human, how about that? Tori so clearly needs therapy. And a divorce.

She is a bottomless pit of need. Never filled, never satisfied. She seems like a prime candidate to someday Snap And Evaporate. 

• Love 5
On 3/22/2019 at 9:02 PM, jcbrown said:

What in the actual hell is wrong with her/them? Stop adding children to your family until you actually figure out how to live as a responsible human, how about that? Tori so clearly needs therapy. And a divorce.

I may be wrong, but to me, it kinda seems like Dean is the more level-headed one about finances. Clearly, he's still insane about them, too, but I think he could downgrade his lifestyle & be more ok than Tori. She's the one who does idiotic things like throw those crazy birthday parties, on Candy's dime or not, & gets Mommy & me manis/pedis with the girls. Manis & pedis aren't that expensive, but if you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, it's an extravagance that I'd question. 

To be clear, I 100% believe he married her, thinking he'd get a piece of the Spelling pie, but I also think he'd be more ok than Tori about downgrading their lifestyle to something more financially-manageable. He's gotta be miserable, too. 

Edited by nkotb
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, nkotb said:

I may be wrong, but to me, it kinda seems like Dean is the more level-headed one about finances. Clearly, he's still insane about them, too, but I think he could downgrade his lifestyle & be more ok than Tori. She's the one who does idiotic things like throw those crazy birthday parties, on Candy's dime or not, & gets Mommy & me manis/pedis with the girls. Manis & pedis aren't that expensive, but if you're hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, it's an extravagance that I'd question. 

To be clear, I 100% believe he married her, thinking he'd get a piece of the Spelling pie, but I also think he'd be more ok than Tori about downgrading their lifestyle to something more financially-manageable. He's gotta be miserable, too. 

I am pretty sure this is where a lot of the fights they have start from, and why he keeps leaving temporarily.  He seems somewhat level headed that it must be hard to watch her level of crazy on a regular basis.  His instagram seems more like a normal person's as well.

• Love 8

I keep meaning to post that on Tori's instagram she had a post about her daughters on the women's day.  I found it interesting that although she praised Hattie too, the photo in front she chose was of her and Stella.  Hattie was photo 3 hidden away, and not with Tori.  I am like really, you can't put both girls on the front, and Hattie can't be with you?  She really makes it obvious that she favors Stella by a lot. 

I just watched the series premiere of this show, not realizing it actually aired in 2014. I thought this was a new show. I mean, I knew she had various reality shows about her bed and breakfast or whatever but I thought True Tori was a new show.

Has Dean McDermott ever acknowledged his past due child support, or does he just pretend his first son doesn't exist?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

I just watched the series premiere of this show, not realizing it actually aired in 2014. I thought this was a new show. I mean, I knew she had various reality shows about her bed and breakfast or whatever but I thought True Tori was a new show.

Has Dean McDermott ever acknowledged his past due child support, or does he just pretend his first son doesn't exist?

It is odd as I don't think he ever has paid up, that I am aware of, but yet he has a relationship with his son.  That has to be strange for his son because you know he is close to his mom after being on their own after Dean left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I only remember seeing something about how his oldest son wrote into some pap mag correcting them that Dean actually has 6 kids, not 5 (although this could have been a few years back and perhaps it was 5 kids instead of 4).

ETA: I guess Dean McDermott said at one time that the $100K he owes her is unpaid alimony and accrued interest, not child support, and that when he had a steady job, he made the payments, but he hasn't been able to afford to stay current. I'd cut him slack if he didn't go on to say he's a great actor and a great father. Those are not compliments one should give himself. 

I wonder what will happen after Candy Spelling dies. Will it just stay in some trust forever and the kids (and grandkids) will have to go through a board of trustees to access? Does Randy Spelling have any kids?

Edited by Tatum
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

That is interesting. What is also interesting is that Jennie Garth has completely gone overboard doing something to her face. Go check out Tori’s Instagram. I almost didn’t recognize her. Makes me sad. She was so pretty and now she looks ridiculously fake. Tori is also getting criticized for showing her daughters eating muffins and declaring them healthy snacks. Lol. Oh Tori. You know better when it comes to social media. 

Well I hope something actually happens with these judgments this time. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

A few days in jail for contempt of court might be good for Tori, but of course it will never happen.  

She would feign some kind of serious to get out of it. Would love to see her ugly cry face though.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

This sounds like her warrant and her next court date are separate issues and it's not just a simple matter of appearing on the new date/May 1 and all is forgiven. 

A California bench warrant authorizes law enforcement officers to arrest you and bring you directly to court. Once you are in court, the judge will either 1) release you with a warning, or 2) incarcerate you, depending on:

your criminal history,

the circumstances that led to the warrant, and your flight risk.

If you fail to appear for your arraignment, the arresting officer will bring you before the judge who issued your warrant.

However, upon your request, the officer could alternatively bring you before any judge in the issuing county (or in the county where you were arrested) for the purpose of setting bail.

If you fail to appear for your sentencing, you must appear before the judge who issued your warrant. This remains the case regardless of where you were arrested.

https://www.shouselaw.com/bench-warrants.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, Tatum said:

At one point Jack's savings account was emptied by the IRS because of Dean's debts. Last I heard about it on a podcast Mary Jo is still holding him accountable for the money he owes her. I think that's very fair of her considering the crap she went through to help him chase his own dreams only for him to leave her. 

• Love 11

Tori Spelling remembers dad on his birthday, reminds Instagram crowd he was a TV titan.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/allthemoms/2019/04/23/tori-spelling-paid-tribute-her-dad-aaron-spelling-his-birthday/3548058002/

'Kelly and Donna are back!' Jennie Garth and Tori Spelling get '90210' makeovers

The actresses are ready to return to Beverly Hills - blonder and better than ever.

https://www.today.com/style/kelly-donna-are-back-jennie-garth-tori-spelling-get-90210-t152885

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Unless the matter has been continued (which we could not know unless something was published, and it hasn't been) she is scheduled to appear in court on May 1 (the day after tomorrow). Unless it has been previously addressed,  the bench warrant for her Failure To Appear is still in effect. (Nothing has been published about it since it was originally revealed - if she surrendered or was yanked after being pulled over for a traffic violation it wasn't made public). So on May 1, she could be held to answer for the original matter AND the bench warrant. 

From the link a few posts above:

The actress failed to show up at a hearing on March 29, spurring the Calif. court to order a bench warrant issued to the star and held to a new date. Bail was set at $5,000. The hearing was continued to May 1 and is connected to her ongoing legal battle with City National Bank, which sued her and her husband Dean McDermott in 2016 for failing to fulfill payments on a $400,000 loan stemming from years earlier. At the time, the couple failed to pay and owed $185,714 plus an additional $2,407 in interest and $681 in late charges for a total of $188,803.

• Love 2
(edited)

Welp, she skated again. Rules are for the little people. 

In response to a motion she filed on April 26 the bench warrant and its $5000 bail were dismissed.

She will be deposed under oath in an attorney's office on May 10 re her assets and expenses, to determine her ability to pay her outstanding debt.

Next court appearance is July 1.

$250,000 remains to be paid on a $400,000 loan from City National Bank; $125,000 to AmEx; $707,487 to the IRS; $282,655 for California taxes.

That's just under $1.4 million, plus penalties and interest. Yowzer. 

I didn't post links because the only sources I've seen are Radar, Daily Mail, PopCulture and D-Listed and I didn't want to promote clicks on their sites. (Today's court document is available at DM). 

Edited by suomi
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, suomi said:

Welp, she skated again. Rules are for the little people. 

In response to a motion she filed on April 26 the bench warrant and its $5000 bail were dismissed.

She will be deposed under oath in an attorney's office on May 10 re her assets and expenses, to determine her ability to pay her outstanding debt.

Next court appearance is July 1.

$250,000 remains to be paid on a $400,000 loan from City National Bank; $125,000 to AmEx; $707,487 to the IRS; $282,655 for California taxes.

That's just under $1.4 million, plus penalties and interest. Yowzer. 

I didn't post links because the only sources I've seen are Radar, Daily Mail, PopCulture and D-Listed and I didn't want to promote clicks on their sites. (Today's court document is available at DM). 

It gets really annoying to see the repeated articles about their various financial offenses, and it all ends up the same--nothing happens.  I could even be remotely okay with that IF she wasn't parading around in the media on things that obviously cost money.  The fact that they aren't doing a better job of getting a hold of that money is really crappy considering normal folks get far worse treatment and can barely afford to live, much less go on 20 vacations a year.  

• Love 8

It is frustrating...is it a possibility that they're getting some flexibility in light of her upcoming 90210 reboot? Like, she showed them her contract and promised to pay immediately once she got paid? I mean, creditors would probably prefer she works so they can get paid.

The being broke and owing money while swanning around on luxury vacations doesn't bother me much, because I am pretty sure Candy is paying the bills. It's not like Tori gets a check and blows it on frivolous stuff...have either of them even gotten a paying job in the last 2 years?

I'm pretty sure though I'd rather be a middle class dweller who has to budget and plan one modest vacation a year than have her life though. 40 something and begging mommy for grocery and rent money and the whole world knows it. How embarrassing. Good thing her threshold for shame is so damn high.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

It is frustrating...is it a possibility that they're getting some flexibility in light of her upcoming 90210 reboot? Like, she showed them her contract and promised to pay immediately once she got paid? I mean, creditors would probably prefer she works so they can get paid.

The being broke and owing money while swanning around on luxury vacations doesn't bother me much, because I am pretty sure Candy is paying the bills. It's not like Tori gets a check and blows it on frivolous stuff...have either of them even gotten a paying job in the last 2 years?

I'm pretty sure though I'd rather be a middle class dweller who has to budget and plan one modest vacation a year than have her life though. 40 something and begging mommy for grocery and rent money and the whole world knows it. How embarrassing. Good thing her threshold for shame is so damn high.

I totally agree with you.  But the vacation does bother me some because she has a lot of followers that know she is deep in debt, and then she flaunts these crazy expensive things with no sense of responsibility to those that follow her, etc.  She doesn't owe them anything, but as you said what she really is, is a 40 something begging for money to pay her bills--so given that, it does look pretty foolish to go to the resorts that she does on a regular basis.  

But yes, she is not in a good position, and I have no desire to live her life!  

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

But does Candy pay for their vacations too?

My understanding is that she will only pay for things like the kids school, and living costs like probably their home, etc. she isn’t paying their debt obviously, and doesn’t pay for the frivolous things. 

• Love 6

I've heard Candy pays the rent and private school tuition for sure, and possibly groceries. I've never heard one way or another about who is popping for the vacations.

That said, have either Tori or Dean worked in the last 2 years? They have probably skated on credit for awhile (hence the AmEx bill), but at this point, do they even have $25K+ of their own money for a vacation? Actually, if they don't fly commercially that should probably be more like $125K. If they're still going on vacations, I bet Candy is bankrolling it. Tori probably lays a guilt trip on her mom about how stressed the kids are and how a luxury vacation is really for their own benefit.

And honestly, I think Candy does give them money for frivolous things, case in point, their rentals. She doesn't have to allow them a monthly 5 figure allowance for rent. She could make Tori move to San Bernadino or something.

• Love 5

I have no concrete proof, but I always assumed that Tori's vacations were comped, in exchange for mentions & positive posts on Twitter, Instagram, etc. Again, I have no actual knowledge, but even though people know Tori can't afford a single vacation, let alone multiple vacations, she still has tons of followers. It's feasible that companies would comp them travel & accommodations in exchange for clicks & publicity. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

That could be...in which case, I don't really judge her for taking that opportunity. I mean, it's not like she could ask the resort or travel companies to pay her past due bills in lieu of hosting her next vacation.

However, if that IS the case- would she technically owe income taxes on that?

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 7

If that is the case, & again, I have no actual knowledge, just assumptions, it's kinda brilliant. If she can get lodging, food & daily expenses covered (electricity, wifi, shampoo, etc.), & she has no actual income to provide those things for her basketball team of kids at home, at least they're provided for part of the time. 

I don't know much about taxes on what I'd assume would be considered corporate gifts, I'm more of the Rachel Green "who's that FICA dude, & why is he taking my money?" team, but nothing financially surprises me about Tori & Dean. It also might be if that would be tax-worthy, the amount would so small in comparison to what they owe, that the IRS just turns the other cheek. 

Don't make fun of me, but when I first heard about this 90210 reboot, I was honestly a little happy for Tori, because at least for the duration of this show, she'll have gainful employment & income. Then, I realized that she'll probably blow it on a unicorn, or mani/pedis with real diamonds, or a Taylor Swift concert/party for the baby, because who doesn't want something that extravagant at 2? No matter what, she will piss through every penny she earns, & be right back in the same boat, probably with even bigger tax bills.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

I've heard Candy pays the rent and private school tuition for sure, and possibly groceries. I've never heard one way or another about who is popping for the vacations.

That said, have either Tori or Dean worked in the last 2 years? They have probably skated on credit for awhile (hence the AmEx bill), but at this point, do they even have $25K+ of their own money for a vacation? Actually, if they don't fly commercially that should probably be more like $125K. If they're still going on vacations, I bet Candy is bankrolling it. Tori probably lays a guilt trip on her mom about how stressed the kids are and how a luxury vacation is really for their own benefit.

And honestly, I think Candy does give them money for frivolous things, case in point, their rentals. She doesn't have to allow them a monthly 5 figure allowance for rent. She could make Tori move to San Bernadino or something.

I agree but...given how/where Candy lives, I bet she sees where/how Tori & the kids live and thinks she's making Tori "slum it" as much as she can while still putting up her grandkids in an "acceptable" area/home.  (Think of how/where Tori & her kids live versus how Candy lived in the huge Spelling Manor, which is the largest home in LA County.)  

If she didn't have those kids, I bet Candy would only pay the rent on a studio apartment in Lancaster or Palmdale for Tori & Dean (if that).

If Candy is paying for the vacations (or at least making up for what's not comped), she's only doing it so the kids can go on vacation, I assume, and keep up with what their peers in their ritzy, private schools are doing. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, nkotb said:

Don't make fun of me, but when I first heard about this 90210 reboot, I was honestly a little happy for Tori, because at least for the duration of this show, she'll have gainful employment & income. Then, I realized that she'll probably blow it on a unicorn, or mani/pedis with real diamonds, or a Taylor Swift concert/party for the baby, because who doesn't want something that extravagant at 2? No matter what, she will piss through every penny she earns, & be right back in the same boat, probably with even bigger tax bills.

Hilarious and also sad because it is true.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Tatum said:

Yes, why didn’t she just buy them a decent sized home years ago and leave it at that? Why allow all the moving from place to place?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yes, why didn’t she just buy them a decent sized home years ago and leave it at that? Why allow all the moving from place to place?

The only thing I can think of is she didn't want to put it in their names, because they would just sell it or borrow against it, and for liability reasons she didn't want it in her own name? Otherwise, that would have made the most sense for sure.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I kind of think it is partly for them to see the struggle that they are causing themselves.  And it requires they keep asking for money, and maybe she hopes that in the end they will have some desire to stop that cycle.   (though of course that will never happen)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I kind of think it is partly for them to see the struggle that they are causing themselves.  And it requires they keep asking for money, and maybe she hopes that in the end they will have some desire to stop that cycle.   (though of course that will never happen)

I could totally see that, and not even in an altruistic way either. I realize Tori is an unreliable narrator, but she's mentioned some things in passing that Candy has done (like when Tori was evidently scouring Ebay for beanie babies, supposedly Candy was also on the lookout for beanies, was paying top dollar for the obscure ones, and waving her prizes in Tori's face), and I could easily see Candy getting some perverse enjoyment out of Tori having to "renew" her begging every 12 months.

Look, Tori is a hot mess. And I think she has been most of her adult life (and maybe before that too, we just never had any reason to see it). Maybe her parents did the best they could, or maybe they had a hand in creating the hot mess. Or maybe both. Something is not right about that woman.

• Love 7
On 5/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, jcbrown said:

I see Tori and Jennie Garth will be on MasterChef Celebrity Family Showdown this Wednesday, FYI.

Correction: Tori and Jennie will be on the second part of this show, which airs next Wednesday 22 May.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, jcbrown said:

Correction: Tori and Jennie will be on the second part of this show, which airs next Wednesday 22 May.

I watched it.  It was kind of cute, and I think it was nice to see Tori back in a more fun element.  Goes to show, she should have kept her real life off of tv, paid some of her bills to avoid online news articles, and she might have stayed employable as an actress....  I liked Jennie and her daughter best though, and were cheering for them to win, lol.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, alexa said:

I watched it.  It was kind of cute, and I think it was nice to see Tori back in a more fun element.  Goes to show, she should have kept her real life off of tv, paid some of her bills to avoid online news articles, and she might have stayed employable as an actress....  I liked Jennie and her daughter best though, and were cheering for them to win, lol.

I liked seeing her interact with Stella though I agree, I also liked Jennie and her daughter better. I thought the contrast between Jennie and Tori was stark. Jennie is very pretty and looks like a normal human. Tori looks like parts of her face have melted.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TeslaNewton said:

Why does she always turn her head when her picture is taken? It is always the same position in every photograph. It's kind of creepy.

She thinks it is her better side, ugh.  She has to know it looks dumb when everyone else looks forward.  

• Love 1