Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for 2019's Twilight Zone

• Start Topic

I don't really know who Jordan Peele is. I think I have reached that point in my life where I don't keep up with every actor in Hollywood because I don't have time to watch them all.

With that said-Rod Serling could never be replaced or matched-but Mr Peele could be an interesting choice ? Like I said I don't know him. I think a woman narrator would be the best removal from trying to "copy" Serling. And I don't know if Peele will try, but because he's a man, there will be comparisons. There'd be comparisons with a woman too...but less obvious ? IDK.

Black Mirror is popular now, so anyone who likes that, or the original TZ, may check this  out. I can't help but think, though-I'm too lazy to look it  up-didn't CBS try years ago to revamp TZ and it failed miserably ? More than once, right ? 

Time will tell, though. I guess I just don't see the point, when the original episodes are still fascinating. Dated, for sure-but many of them are just as compelling now as they were five decades ago. 

I don't see why they just don't do a brand new anthology series like Black Mirror-it's what they are going for, anyway. Even though Black Mirror will never be as good as TZ. Black Mirror isn't even as good as the old Alfred Hitchcock Presents-which was also rebooted and wasn't as good re-invented. But the last time it was done was the mid eighties I think. I wouldn't mind seeing someone take a go at a new anthology of those type of stories, either. Anyone ever watch that-one of my favorites was one of the oldest ones. I even read the short story it was based off of. The one where *spoiler alert* the woman kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then, to get rid of it, cooks the murder weapon and feeds it to the police when they come ? LOL I loved it.

Edited by IWantCandy71

@IWantCandy71, Jordan Peele is most known for his work on a Comedy Central sketch series called "Key & Peele". I haven't seen it, but I've heard many good things about it, and know it often dealt in politically themed humor and commentary. He also directed a horror/suspense movie that came out in 2017, called Get Out. That, I have seen (and highly recommend if you're into more psychological/suspense-based horror films rather than the gory stuff), and that's the biggest reason I'm intrigued about his take on this series, because that movie dealt with a lot of the same themes and social issues that the original "Twilight Zone" was known for, and the storyline was reminiscent of some of the creepier, more haunting episodes of the show. You're right that Serling's a very tough act to follow, but I can see Peele following in his footsteps quite well. 

(I do like your idea of a woman narrating, too, though-had the show gone that way, I'd be all for that. Any particular women you would've had in mind?)

1 hour ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I can't help but think, though-I'm too lazy to look it  up-didn't CBS try years ago to revamp TZ and it failed miserably ? More than once, right ? 

They have indeed, yes :). Once back in the mid-1980s, and then again in the early 2000s. The 2000s one didn't work out-it only lasted one season (though I do remember there being a couple decent episodes in it), but I think the 1980s one did all right overall, and lasted for three seasons. I've seen that one, and it had some good episodes in it. 

Time will tell, though. I guess I just don't see the point, when the original episodes are still fascinating. Dated, for sure-but many of them are just as compelling now as they were five decades ago.

Agreed, the show is still as deeply relevant as ever in so many ways. And for that reason alone, I can understand this sentiment. If the new version manages to put a more modern spin on some of the old stories, though, or brings up new issues that may not have been as common or not yet a thing back then, I think it could work. We shall see. 

As for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", I'll watch some of the old black and white ones sometimes. I don't believe I've seen the episode you mention, though-definitely seems like classic Hitchcock material :p!

• Love 2

Annber03 I've heard of "Get Out", of course-but never seen it. I heard it was good, but like so many things that get hype these days-IDK. I might eventually watch, we'll see.

Any woman I have in mind that would be a good narrator ? Not off the top of my head. Someone who can be campy but serious, kind of like Serling himself. Not too recognizable of a face. Or you know, they could just do guest narrators, which could be fun. A different person-actor, writer, comedian, etc-introducing each episode.  That was the great thing about RS-he was entertaining, and I loved his commentaries, but the stories were never about him. So you kind of need someone, male or female, with the ability to be present, and yet know when to step back and let the story tell itself.

Yes, TZ had a lot of social commentary and it could be wickedly funny sometimes, too. I seem to remember vaguely both reboots.

The Hitchcock episode I mentioned, is one of the black and white ones, it's from the third season.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents is available on Hulu, but for some reason, that  episode is skipped/missed. It is on You Tube, though.  Both the TV episode and the short story are called "Lamb to the Slaughter". Both were written by Roald Dahl. I forgot about that ! Most people know him for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but he wrote some pretty suspenseful short stories. He also briely hosted his own TZ like show called "Way Out", though I've never seen it.

"The Landlady" is another story of his that's good. It was on a show called "Tales of the Unexpected" and it should be available on YT as well.

One of my favorite old TZ episodes is the one about the woman in the car going across country and there is a man following her everywhere she goes, hitchhiking on the side of the road.  It still creeps me out to this day.

Edited by IWantCandy71
9 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Annber03 I've heard of "Get Out", of course-but never seen it. I heard it was good, but like so many things that get hype these days-IDK. I might eventually watch, we'll see.

If you do happen to check it out, I hope you like it :).

Any woman I have in mind that would be a good narrator ? Not off the top of my head. Someone who can be campy but serious, kind of like Serling himself. Not too recognizable of a face. Or you know, they could just do guest narrators, which could be fun. A different person-actor, writer, comedian, etc-introducing each episode.  That was the great thing about RS-he was entertaining, and I loved his commentaries, but the stories were never about him. So you kind of need someone, male or female, with the ability to be present, and yet know when to step back and let the story tell itself.

Excellent point (I always liked that one episode of the original series with the writer who can conjure up any person through use of a tape recorder, and if he throws the bit of tape with their description into the fireplace, they disappear, because of how they have the main character talking to Serling at the end a bit :D). 

Rotating narrators could be interesting, too. 

Alfred Hitchcock Presents is available on Hulu, but for some reason, that  episode is skipped/missed. It is on You Tube, though.  Both the TV episode and the short story are called "Lamb to the Slaughter". Both were written by Roald Dahl. I forgot about that ! Most people know him for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but he wrote some pretty suspenseful short stories. "The Landlady" is another story of his that's good (cannot remember if it's an AH episode or not, though).

Ah, yeah, I've heard that title. I think I've seen it listed as airing on MeTV on occasion, but I've yet to see it. Will keep an eye out for it should it pop up, though. 

One of my favorite old TZ episodes is the one about the woman in the car going across country and there is a man following her everywhere she goes, hitchhiking on the side of the road.  It still creeps me out to this day.

I love that episode, too. That one and the one with the woman going down to the morgue where there's "room for one more". So scary. 

• Love 3

I don't think I've seen either the morgue episode or the tape recorder ones-they don't sound familiar. Do you remember which seasons they were in, or the titles ? Although I bet I could search just using the description you gave and something would pop up. Gotta love the internet, right ?  LOL I will have to seek those out, they sound like I'd enjoy them. 

A World of His Own is a fun episode and the end with Serling is great.  It was the only time that exact ending happened.

The original Twilight Zone remains me favorite show and I even liked the 1985 Twilight Zone when I finally got around to watching it.  I think the premise of the show is definitely works and I have no problem with the show being remade/reimagined every 15-20 years.  I just hope that the writers/producers of the show are up to the task.  I still haven't seen Get Out but have heard great things about it and how it would fit The Twilight Zone.  So I feel good about Jordan Peele as the showrunner. 

I also hope that Peele and the writers remember that along with the twist endings, the stories were often about giving those characters who deserved it a second chance.  The bad were punished and once and sometimes the good were as well.  But generally, if Rod liked the character he would give them a second chance.  To me, that is just as important as the premise and twist endings.

• Love 4

I'm looking forward to this. I even liked all the revivals except for the episodes where they remade the original. They just weren't good, especially compared to the original. I remember they remade "Eye of the Beholder" and the one where the woman remember she's a store mannequin. There were a few more remakes that I don't remember.

I did like the sequel to "It's a Good Life." Bill Mumy and Cloris Leachman reprised their roles. Bill's real life daughter played his character's child. 

• Love 1

I was wary of this, but I am now really excited. I've been a fan of Jordan Peele for awhile now, and I think we are in very good hands. Even when he was doing his comedy show, Key and Peele, they clearly had an interest in both the fantastical (they did some dead on parody's of things like zombie and vampire fiction) and in social commentary. And, of course, Get Out, which is basically a really awesome, long episode of TZ, combining horror, science fiction, and social commentary in the way that many classic episodes have. And in interviews I read, he seems to have a lot of respect for Rod and his original show and vision. I am so excited!

I actually hope they focus a bit more on supernatural or general weird things at first, instead of science fiction and technology, to help distinguish it more from Black Mirror. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

So I just saw the trailer for this and would like to see it but I'm not paying for another service. I pay a lot every month for cable with all the premium services and I have Netflix. Even though I'm retired, there just isn't enough time to watch everything. Of course, I could always change my mind. 😁

Since you've been remembering the old series: one of my favorites that I saw when it actually aired in 1962, was the one where the little girl got lost in the wall. I remember trying not to touch walls for a long time.

• Love 2

OMG, I just saw this and am so excited! I grew up on old Twilight Zone reruns and always loved it. One of the best things about watching the old ones, though, is seeing great character actors, as well as actors in the before- and after-stardom phases of their careers. Having said that, I absolutely trust Jordan Peele to do a solid job with the reboot.

It's incredibly hard to pick a favorite TZ episode, but The Invaders is at the top of my top 10. 

• Love 2

One thing that Jordan Peele will not do is have casts of 90% white men, 9% white women (mostly wives, girlfriends, secretaries & nurses) and 1% non-whites like the original series. Though I didn't think anything of it when I watched the original shows in the 1960s (all shows were like that), watching them now is quite eye opening. In one episode they had a scene in the all male UN where the only foreigners were a couple of swarthy guys from Spain and Italy or Greece and one Japanese man.

• Love 2