Type keyword(s) to search

Teen Wolf - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Aw, that is awesome to see them! I really wish Tyler Hoechlin could have been there—what is Teen Wolf without Derek Hale? And Colton Haynes, Crystal Reed, JR Bourne...

So I noticed this was back on Hulu and decided maybe I'll watch a few episodes as I was really stressed out. Anyhow... 6 seasons later. I seriously forgot how good this show was and this was interesting as I had stopped watching somewhere in season 5. Anyhow, for the fun of it I thought I'd post my review as an adult (10 years later) watching this show.

Season 1 and 2: are exactly how I remembered them being. As they were the seasons I've seen the most. I did however forget that Stiles suspected Deaton. But I guess it makes sense.

season 3: I remember not liking the first part that much. This time it was completely different and it was good. Though hinsight the twins don't look to old now lol. And of course the second half of the season while really good is when the show took a tone turn. With evil Stiles. Obviously still very good and Dylan O'Brian did great. The show did lose something with Alison leaving, but that was due to behind the scenes stuff.

Season 4: I remember not really liking all that much. I still think it was the weakest of the seasons. Not bad but not as good as the previous three. However Liam is a great addition. He is surprisingly not annoying and brings a nice relationship for Scott. As more of a big brother.

season 5: This was interesting as I knew I stopped watching in it. I though it was turn the beginning of the season. I quickly realized I made it all the way through the first half (when it was on). I just got busy with IRL stuff and forgot to watch. I remember hating Theo and not beliving they would believe anything that he said (minus Stiles who was of course right).  However this time, while I still "hated" Theo there was other good parts going on. And finding the whole Lydia is a institution in the future not my thing. I of course after watching past where I stopped realized that they rescue her (in an amazing episode) and it honestly didn't last that long (as it was told from the future). The back half of the season was really good. I do feel like they kind of Kira in a weird place, she just joins the sand people. Did the actress what to leave? 

season 6: Like season 3 there were different halfs. However these were even more further a part so I'll review them differently. First part, was actually pretty good. In that I seriously binged through it. I kept wanting to know what would happened next. I cheered when ever someone remembered Stiles. And especially when his dad did. I liked the episode with Stiles and Peter as those two are always good together. I over all enjoyed this, however I'm not sure how rewatchable it will be as it is one continuous thing really.

6B: This was kind of down there with season 4 (not that either are bad). Not enough Stiles! I know that the actor's move career started to take off at this point, so it is safe to assume this is why. But really one random appearance toward the beginning and the finale. Honestly it made me think of Fitz AoS but off topic. Anyhow, also Hayden disappeared which was random too. But the worst thing of all of course is them messing up Liam, Mason, etc's grade. Come on it is a regular plot point that he is two years younger than Scott. Nothing would have changed if they had them going into Junior year like they were suppose too. As juniors still have to pick classes and some especially the "smart" kids would be talking about college. And Scott would still be "leaving" and Liam still would be captain. Anyhow forgetting that the rest of it was okay. I don't buy that the town would just turn on them like that at least not that quickly. I mean these people are your friends, classmates, co-workers. Regardless if they have powers.  In years perhaps, unfortunately fear of the "different' is a real thing. 

Any great appearances from Jackson, Ethan and Derek as they were ties to previous seasons. I like that Malia and Scott got together, but again he doesn't even think about Kira lol. Seriously poor girl. Lydia and Stiles being endgame is awesome as they started off one sided, then friends and finally more. It was a nice story throughout the show. Chris and Melissa is a great pairing as well.

Final thoughts, I still don't like Theo lol. I love all the small character scenes that aren't related to the action but friendship. And Melissa is a badass and I'm glad this show had a great (and many) strong parent characters. Seriously, they are shown as intelligent and bad ass when needed. Over all this show is still really good. And I'm glad I finally went to finish it!

• Love 3

‘Teen Wolf’: Tyler Posey Is Back But Not All Original Cast Members Are Returning For Paramount+ Revival Movie

According to the article Dylan O’Brien, Arden Cho and Tyler Hoechlin won't be back. The following are listed as being in the movie:

● Tyler Posey as Scott McCall
● Holland Roden as Lydia Martin
● Shelley Hennig as Malia Tate
● Crystal Reed as Allison Argent
● Orny Adams as Coach Bobby Finstock
● Linden Ashby as Sheriff Noah Stilinski
● JR Bourne as Chris Argent
● Seth Gilliam as Dr. Alan Deaton
● Colton Haynes as Jackson Whittemore
● Ryan Kelley as Deputy Jordan Parrish
● Melissa Ponzio as Melissa McCall
● Dylan Sprayberry as Liam Dunbar

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I do want to see this but I don't have high hopes. I'll have to see if I can get a free trial that week in October as I don't have Paramount+ unless it will be available somewhere else? 

Spoiler

I did not like the fact that they killed off Derek and brought back Allison. I'd have been lest bothered by killing Derek if they hadn't brought back Allison honestly, but either way it still could've been done better. I liked Eli, Derek's son, but I'm so curious who his mother is. Didn't like that they said "Eli would be the first Hale to not be able to transform" when they've stated before that some Hales remain human. I liked bringing Harris back as the main villain, after 3 times where they made us think he could be, but how did he come back to life? Colton Haynes was playing Colton Haynes, not Jackson. We should've gotten some interaction between Liam and Scott or even Liam and Mason. Christ Argent calling people "fucker" seemed absolutely correct, but some of the other cussing felt out of character for the moment. Like Malia saying "Fuck me, man" as response to getting her ass kicked by Allison. The Scott and Allison relationship felt most consistent. Tyler's dimples when he said "I'm still in love with you" still have power over me. Glad Mama McCall became a doctor. They have to pay well after all the murdered doctors in Beacon Hills. I thought Lydia's reasoning for breaking up with Stiles was realistic. The Nogitsune/Harris not dragging Stiles back into town for this felt unrealistic. I want confirmation Scott is a vet. Running an animal shelter feels like it could go either way. 

Teen Wolf: The Movie thoughts. 

My thoughts on the movie:

Spoiler

Pro:

• I liked how they handled Stiles, they mentioned him often, and had an important scene about him and Lydia. That being said I didn't like that they split up and would hope they get back together. It was the best way to have him be "in the movie" without actually being in it. And honestly this is better then a cameo (Like what Gilmore Girls did)
  • Derek as a Dad. I liked it and his relationship with Eli. Though I feel like the only person could be his mother is Braden based on the math. Which does bring up questions but I'm not going into that.
  • Alison: which surprises me as I was not happy that they were bringing her back. However, the actor did the best that she could with the role and it had emotional impact.
  • The adult characters as usual, sheriff is awesome as is Melissa. I somehow missed she became a Doctor. And Parrish playing a major part.
  • The coach, always a pleasure.

Dislike:

• the use of the Nogisune. It didn't make a lot of sense or the incursion of Harris. As he has been dead and had no beef with the main characters (who were in high school at the time). It seemed like the writer didn't watch season 3.
  • The lack of explanation of where the characters were at the start of the movie. Like why was Liam in Japan, why did Deaton follow Scott to LA. And Malia and Parrish (really?).
  • The Kira knock off. I know there was a lot of drama surrounding this but then they just had someone else in the movie. But gave no explanation on who she is or how Liam met her.
  • Lack of some character interactions, like how did Liam and Mason not interact once, other relationships that didn't get a reason for ending (Chris & Melissa). Mason barely being in it at all. I seriously didn't even realize it was him until half way through.
  • A bit to much Eli. Don't get me wrong, I liked the character but to much focus on him. The final fight scene (with the illusions) should have been Derek, Scott and Liam. This is what would have made more sense. As they are the experienced wolf fighters.
  • Which brings me to Derek's death. It was dumb to be honest. I can see from the writing perspective for killing him off, but the scene didn't work. The Nogisune was out numbered and all Scott, Derek and Parrish had to do is count to three and the two let go and Parrish burns him. Derek deserved a death that made more sense.

Overall, I like this movie but my expectations were very low. It was entertaining and could have been way worse. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

1 hour ago, blueray said:
Spoiler

The adult characters as usual, sheriff is awesome as is Melissa. I somehow missed she became a Doctor. And Parrish playing a major part.

Spoiler

When they take Allison to the hospital, Melissa's lab coat says Melissa McCall, M.D. 

Edited by bettername2come
Spoiler

It had a lot of the problems that the show did. Great ideas they didn't fully explore and getting sidetracked with the "it's so cool!" factor. (Okay, great ideas may have been more the show than the movie, but hey.)

I was strangely okay with Derek dying, though did it have to be by fire? Really? The man's life hasn't sucked enough apparently. But I didn't care for the eulogy Scott gave because it sounded like they had been brothers from the very beginning which isn't true. There was a lot of animosity between them that was never fully addressed, but why would you use a TV show to explore relationships?

I also really didn't care for the Sheriff's implication that Stiles just walked away from the jeep. Stiles never walks away from anyone or anything he loves. I think I remember them saying on the show that the jeep belonged to Stiles' mom, but I concede I could be mixing up fanon with canon. 

And yet I kind of buy Lydia's reason for breaking up with him. Too bad we didn't get to see his side of things, but I'm not sure what we would have seen there even if DOB had signed on.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jelaine said:
  Hide contents

It had a lot of the problems that the show did. Great ideas they didn't fully explore and getting sidetracked with the "it's so cool!" factor. (Okay, great ideas may have been more the show than the movie, but hey.)

I was strangely okay with Derek dying, though did it have to be by fire? Really? The man's life hasn't sucked enough apparently. But I didn't care for the eulogy Scott gave because it sounded like they had been brothers from the very beginning which isn't true. There was a lot of animosity between them that was never fully addressed, but why would you use a TV show to explore relationships?

I also really didn't care for the Sheriff's implication that Stiles just walked away from the jeep. Stiles never walks away from anyone or anything he loves. I think I remember them saying on the show that the jeep belonged to Stiles' mom, but I concede I could be mixing up fanon with canon. 

And yet I kind of buy Lydia's reason for breaking up with him. Too bad we didn't get to see his side of things, but I'm not sure what we would have seen there even if DOB had signed on.

Just now, blueray said:
  Hide contents

The thing with Derek and Scott is that also 15 years or so passed since the series ended. So to Scott they've been friends for a long time, to the point where Scott doesn't even think about when they met just the past decade or so...

As for the jeep, yes this bothers me. In the series Stiles leaves it to Scott because he joined the FBI. And Derek had little to no interaction with it.

Edited by blueray