Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OtterMommy

Years and Years

Recommended Posts

Caught Episode 1 - I found it interesting, although (as an American) I had a bit of trouble deciphering the accents/slang in spots. I was definitely amazed they were able to include a reference to Doris Day's passing a day after it happened - but since it was a voice-over, I guess it wouldn't be that tough to update the audio the day of the airing. I'm a bit wary of anything RTD touches, but I'll give any show with Russell Tovey in it a shot. Although it was telegraphed a mile away, I enjoyed Tovey's sex scene near the end, but so far I'm uncomfortable with this show's take on the "transitioning" character. Overall, I'm curious enough to want to see where things go in Episode 2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Here's the trailer, if you want to check it out before the June 24th debut on HBO...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Caught the first two episodes, and am really enjoying it so far, even when it hits a bit too close to home.

I'm surprised they got the HIGNFY crew, including Merton and Hislop, to cameo, in the Thompson montage mirroring the early part of Boris Johnson's climb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watched the first episode this morning before I was fully awake, and that ending has been freaking me out all day.

Quote

...so far I'm uncomfortable with this show's take on the "transitioning" character.

I knew about the "transitioning" character's difficulties beforehand, but as soon as I saw those difficulties actually playing out onscreen, I knew the whole thing was going to invite a complete shitstorm, especially online. And especially because Davies is responsible for this whole thing.

Tell you one thing, though:  Those fucking cloying "Filter Masks for Humans" are an idea absolutely sent straight from the flaming pits of Hell, and for that reason, I've no doubt they'll become available everywhere soon.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, P.S.:  That "Fourth Star" party logo in the promo looks an awful lot like Community's Asshole Flag, and I'm perhaps wondering if that's intentional.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Actually that may have been inspired by the Five Star movement in Italy which led to their political chaos. But the dig into censorship of language was itself inspired.

Love anything with Tovey in it, no matter what he’s doing onscreen.

Also noticed that the music is by Murray Gold, who Russell T Davies brought to Doctor Who for its revival in 2005, and stayed for ten seasons/series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched Episode 1 yesterday.  I am not sure about it.  I like Russell Tovey and Emma Thompson but don't really know the others.

I didn't like Russell Tovey cheating with the cute Ukrainian because in my mind he just got married.  I know it's supposed to have been years but when those years weren't shown and so it didn't feel like it was earned.

The episode ended and I was left feeling a bit depressed.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, gibasi said:

I didn't like Russell Tovey cheating with the cute Ukrainian because in my mind he just got married.  I know it's supposed to have been years but when those years weren't shown and so it didn't feel like it was earned.

My eyebrows raised when he first met Viktor and referred to Ralph as his "boyfriend." Dude, you got married, he's your husband. Viktor is super hot, so on a superficial level, I was digging the end.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw the first episode without knowing a thing about it. At the end I was also saying "What happens now?!!?" So I guess I'll be back to find out. Russell Tovey is such a great actor. I do watch a lot of UK shows so I think I recognize some of the other actors but, thankfully, don't know exactly what characters I've seen them as so nothing is taking me out of this grouping. I only hope this pays off in overall world sociopolitical commentary through these characters and doesn't descend into a one-sided screaming fit from the creators' POVs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen the first episode and mostly enjoyed it.  I love Emma Thompson, but also found myself liking the other actors as well.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was an interesting start, though yeah, it's a little too topical and close to home.   The ending, though, with Edith and the bombing grabbed me, so I will be back for more.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, gibasi said:

I watched Episode 1 yesterday.  I am not sure about it.  I like Russell Tovey and Emma Thompson but don't really know the others.

I didn't like Russell Tovey cheating with the cute Ukrainian because in my mind he just got married.  I know it's supposed to have been years but when those years weren't shown and so it didn't feel like it was earned.

The episode ended and I was left feeling a bit depressed.  

They showed their relationship deteriorating throughout the episode. The shower scene where they had a spat, Ralph always on the phone and Daniel annoyed, snide remarks to each other at the family gatherings, bickering while painting. It seemed that's where they were leading. As soon as I saw Daniel talking to a cutie I figured he'd  be jumping him before the season was over. The bomb just speeded it up a bit!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I might need to watch this episode again.

I know my blood ran cold at the first Emergency Alert. There's something visceral about how your body is trained to react when that sound comes on over your media. 

If it ever comes over the internet like it did when they tested the ability of the White House to reach every working phone, I'm just going to declare it over. 

That said, I like how this series takes time to make you realize how much we as the audience automatically perceive characters vs. who they actually turn into. Trying not to spoil, but for me it's the mom with alternative access issues plus her youngest child. 

I have children who are not my same race and it's been great over recent years just not to have to explain everything to everyone because now they automatically assume, or just don't even bother to assume anything because who cares? Families are made in different ways, wake up and get used to it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, izabella said:

I've seen the first episode and mostly enjoyed it.  I love Emma Thompson, but also found myself liking the other actors as well.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was an interesting start, though yeah, it's a little too topical and close to home.   The ending, though, with Edith and the bombing grabbed me, so I will be back for more.

I wasn't expecting that sudden dark turn. It was a tense ending.

Rory Kinnear is always good too. He was great as John Clare/The Creature in Penny Dreadful.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw the first episode. I like it a lot, except fort he re-election of He Who Must Not Be Named.

I noticed the TV announcer refer to "His Majesty." So Charles (or maybe William) is the King by or before 2024.

I wonder what this show would have been like if it had been made in 2004, and showed us another version of the years 2004-2019.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, ferjy said:

They showed their relationship deteriorating throughout the episode. The shower scene where they had a spat, Ralph always on the phone and Daniel annoyed, snide remarks to each other at the family gatherings, bickering while painting. It seemed that's where they were leading. As soon as I saw Daniel talking to a cutie I figured he'd  be jumping him before the season was over. The bomb just speeded it up a bit!

Yes, I see what you are saying. I just misread it as normal couple stuff I guess rather than serious problems.  I probably didn't want their marriage to fail so it was wishful thinking on my part! 

And you are right - the Ukrainian guy is very cute!

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, marinw said:

I noticed the TV announcer refer to "His Majesty." So Charles (or maybe William) is now the King as of 2024.

There was also a scene in which you can hear on a background TV a crowd chanting “God Save The King”, which must have been the point at which he became king.

While it made for good TV, I was puzzled at all the emergency alerts in Britain for a nuclear strike on the other side of the world not involving the UK.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Rickster said:

There was also a scene in which you can hear on a background TV a crowd chanting “God Save The King”, which must have been the point at which he became king.

I took that scene as a reflecting the death of QEII, given the grandmother's reaction as she watched it. (Although, given how long-lived the Queen Mum was, it might be that Elizabeth still has more than 6 years left in her life...)

58 minutes ago, Rickster said:

While it made for good TV, I was puzzled at all the emergency alerts in Britain for a nuclear strike on the other side of the world not involving the UK.

I thought that was strange too, but something was said about people not knowing where the missile was heading.  I still don't think I would buy that because, well, why would a missile headed from anywhere in the US (although it probably came from somewhere on the west coast) head over Europe to get to Asia?  I can see it being a "breaking news" sort of thing, but I'm not sure that it would trigger an emergency response in the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2019 at 6:45 PM, hokeypokeyFOIA said:

I might need to watch this episode again.

I’m thinking the same thing.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:32 PM, giovannif7 said:

I was definitely amazed they were able to include a reference to Doris Day's passing a day after it happened - but since it was a voice-over, I guess it wouldn't be that tough to update the audio the day of the airing.

Because I completely missed this reference.  Was this filmed shortly after her death?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, QuinnM said:
  On 5/15/2019 at 4:32 PM, giovannif7 said:

I was definitely amazed they were able to include a reference to Doris Day's passing a day after it happened - but since it was a voice-over, I guess it wouldn't be that tough to update the audio the day of the airing.

5 hours ago, QuinnM said:

I’m thinking the same thing.

Because I completely missed this reference.  Was this filmed shortly after her death?

The reference to Doris Day's death the day before is heard about 5 1/2 minutes into the first episode as part of a radio newscast  that Stephen (Rory Kinnear) is listening to as he's driving to the hospital.

The episode first aired in the UK on May 14, 2019, one day after her actual death on May 13th. This episode had to have been filmed well before her passing - I assume the audio report was edited into the episode's radio newscast at the last minute to give the series a sense of connection to our real world.

Either that, or someone on the writing staff has an uncanny and precise ability to see the future...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

The reference to Doris Day's death the day before is heard about 5 1/2 minutes into the first episode as part of a radio newscast  that Stephen (Rory Kinnear) is listening to as he's driving to the hospital.

They cut it!  It is not there now.  I have it tivo’d and everything.  I watched it with CC on.  It’s gone.  And I’m a little relieved since I thought I was texting or something and not paying attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

They cut it!  It is not there now.  I have it tivo’d and everything.  I watched it with CC on.  It’s gone.  And I’m a little relieved since I thought I was texting or something and not paying attention.

Hmmmm... I haven't seen the HBO version yet. They must have added the Doris Day reference for the BBC airing after sending the episode to HBO for the US airing - I can't think of a reason for HBO to cut it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, QuinnM said:

They cut it!  It is not there now.  I have it tivo’d and everything.  I watched it with CC on.  It’s gone.  And I’m a little relieved since I thought I was texting or something and not paying attention.

I watch the streaming HBO, and it wasn’t there either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

Hmmmm... I haven't seen the HBO version yet. They must have added the Doris Day reference for the BBC airing after sending the episode to HBO for the US airing - I can't think of a reason for HBO to cut it.

It wasn’t cut really, they changed the whole newscast.

I was chatting to a British friend about this. I asked her to check her recording for that part and I was telling her "it's after the Trump reference" and she was confused "What Trump reference?" So we compared notes and it ends up that whole part where he's driving has a different radio newscast here. We got Trump, the UK got Brexit. lol  Not sure why the UK got Doris Day and we didn't. Do Brits like Doris Day more than Americans? 😄

The HBO newscast as per subtitles was:

Newswoman: This is BBC Radio Four. Good morning.

And here are the news headlines at 5:30 a.m.

President Trump has called on his opponents to bridge divisions as he refuses to abandon his plans to build a wall on the border with Mexico.

The DUP will begin further talks in Northern Ireland this morning hoping to break the deadlock over the latest border proposals. 

In business, the next president of the World Bank could be one of its harshest critics.

In the UK it was: (You can hear the Brexit mention in the clip you posted too.)

RADIO: This is BBC Radio 4. Good morning.

Researchers have to carry out a 5-year study into the causes of inequality in the UK which, they say is, a threat to democracy.

Theresa May's Brexit negotiator is going to Brussels for talks on the document that sets out the UK's future relations with the EU.

Doris Day appears on most of the front pages following her death yesterday at the age of 97.

Edited by goldilocks · Reason: Added more of U.S. newscast.
  • Like 6
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, goldilocks said:

It wasn’t cut really, they changed the whole newscast.

I was chatting to a British friend about this. I asked her to check her recording for that part and I was telling her "it's after the Trump reference" and she was confused "What Trump reference?" So we compared notes and it ends up that whole part where he's driving has a different radio newscast here. We got Trump, the UK got Brexit. lol  Not sure why the UK got Doris Day and we didn't. Do Brits like Doris Day more than Americans? 😄

The HBO newscast as per subtitles was:

Newswoman: This is BBC Radio Four. Good morning.

And here are the news headlines at 5:30 a.m.

President Trump has called on his opponents to bridge divisions as he refuses to abandon his plans to build a wall on the border with Mexico.

The DUP will begin further talks in Northern Ireland this morning hoping to break the deadlock over the latest border proposals. 

In business, the next president of the World Bank could be one of its harshest critics.

In the UK it was: (You can hear the Brexit mention in the clip you posted too.)

RADIO: This is BBC Radio 4. Good morning.

Researchers have to carry out a 5-year study into the causes of inequality in the UK which, they say is, a threat to democracy.

Theresa May's Brexit negotiator is going to Brussels for talks on the document that sets out the UK's future relations with the EU.

Doris Day appears on most of the front pages following her death yesterday at the age of 97.

On the front page, no less. Must have been a slow news day in the UK.  😀

Edited by ferjy
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that it doesn't make sense that air raid sirens would go off in the UK if China and the US are firing missiles at each other, but I think part of the confusion at the end was that it was unclear if missiles were only being fired at the US/China, or if, since the UK had been brought into it (I assume as an ally of the US), China was firing missiles at the UK as well. Even the news broadcast saying that they're at war was doing more harm than good because it was giving absolutely no information - they didn't even say who the UK was at war *with*, much less give instructions about what people should do. The whole thing would be absolutely terrifying.

I'm not opposed to the married gay couple breaking up since it seemed to me that they either needed serious couples counseling or to just end it. For me the big red flag was the conspiracy theory stuff.  I felt that the cheating husband didn't respect the conspiracy theorist any more because of the weird things that he's into, and I don't think a marriage can survive that. I mean, I don't think I could maintain a close relationship of any sort with someone who was all in on conspiracy theories, and the conspiracy theorist really deserves a husband who respects him (even though, to be clear, I think conspiracy theories are awful). However, abandoning your husband at your grandmother's birthday party in the middle of a possible air raid/bomb so you can go hook up with the cute guy you're into has got to be among the crappiest ways to break up. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

What day of the week/time are new eps released on HBO? 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, QQQQ said:

What day of the week/time are new eps released on HBO? 

Monday nights 9:00 PM EST.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you! I'm somewhat new to HBO, and still adjusting to seasons not being available in their entirety. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I want to like the Rosie character, but when she's fan girling for Rook even after admitting that she knows Rook is a monster I just can't. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really enjoying this series, but maybe it's a good thing there are only 6 episodes if each is going to end in a could-happen, too-close-to-home crisis. My anxiety is high enough in the real world. Last night left me thinking maybe it's time to withdraw my life's savings of $117, and hide it in under the mattress. 😂

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Wokeness checklist:

1) the family:

Gays—Check!

A Handicapped person—check!

A multiracial couple—Check! 

A Trans-something—check!

A Heroic international activist—check!

2)outside the family: 

Refugees—check!

Israel bashing—check!

Trump starting a nuclear war—check!

It's got it all!!!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

Wokeness checklist:

Also: Rich Populist Politician Who Has Never Held Public Office-Check!

Good series, but it is super depressing because it is so close to our own reality. 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, it's too real for me, and not enough Emma. Well done, but I'm old and sick of politics right now. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm intrigued with the Edith character. Seems like she may have some tricks up her sleeve with regard to Rook.

Rosie's fangirling over Rook is nauseating, but it's a very good portrayal of how normal people get taken in by manipulative demagogues.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

Israel bashing—check! 

What Israel bashing?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think my favorite part of the episode is that Viktor is still skyping in for the family meeting about the one brother losing all that money, even though he's doing it while trying to avoid persecution in Ukraine. Priorities! Everything else is so dark I'm basically clinging to the part that made me laugh. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Yeah, it's too real for me, and not enough Emma. Well done, but I'm old and sick of politics right now. 

I also wish there was more Emma Thompson, but I'm not sure how they could incorporate more of her character and still stay true to main story.  I will say that she seems to be having a lot of fun with this role, though!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, theschnauzers said:

That whole bit is really strange. Wonder what will be done for the inevitable DVD release?

They’ll probably have an alternate cut on the same DVD. Same as when there are two different endings, or a director’s cut. They often put both on the DVD. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Shaynaa said:

What Israel bashing?

When Rook says 'I don't fucking care" it was in response to a woman asking her to discuss how evil Israel is by "oppressing" Gaza. Rook's response was a way to show how evil she was. Thus, Israel was bashed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

When Rook says 'I don't fucking care" it was in response to a woman asking her to discuss how evil Israel is by "oppressing" Gaza. Rook's response was a way to show how evil she was. Thus, Israel was bashed. 

I watched this last week but I'm pretty sure the Israel comment was about Gaza only having power for a few hours a day...which is true in reality.  I didn't see her response as evil because she didn't care this was happening but rather just how evident how nationalistic she was.  She doesn't know or CARE to know anything about the middle east.  Her whole schtick is that she's worried about every day problems Britains face.  Also, this scene will make more sense later only but anything else I'd say about that would be a spoiler.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

When Rook says 'I don't fucking care" it was in response to a woman asking her to discuss how evil Israel is by "oppressing" Gaza. Rook's response was a way to show how evil she was. Thus, Israel was bashed. 

I agree that it was Rook bashing Israel, but I don't think that was the point.  She probably didn't care about what was going on in Gaza--not in a way that she thought the residents of Gaza weren't worth her consideration, but that she just didn't care about the whole situation.  It seemed to me what she really cared about was being able to say "I don't fucking care" on the air and getting the attention for it.  Yes, she said it about Israel, but she could have said it about any number of crises going on right now.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I am all in for the ride, even though (as I found out here) it is destined to be a short one,  I like being a wee bit off balance, and not totally sure of what comes next.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I agree that it was Rook bashing Israel, but I don't think that was the point.  She probably didn't care about what was going on in Gaza--not in a way that she thought the residents of Gaza weren't worth her consideration, but that she just didn't care about the whole situation.  It seemed to me what she really cared about was being able to say "I don't fucking care" on the air and getting the attention for it.  Yes, she said it about Israel, but she could have said it about any number of crises going on right now. 

I was basically talking about how the writers were "woke" and "virtue signaling." They did this by mentioning how horrible Israel is (it's not). it was the question that was the Israel bashing. Not the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

I was basically talking about how the writers were "woke" and "virtue signaling." They did this by mentioning how horrible Israel is (it's not). it was the question that was the Israel bashing. Not the answer.

I guess I saw it a little differently.  That seemed like an appropriate question to ask someone who was running for a seat in Parliament.  Someone asking a question in that format (some sort of panel where the audience asks questions) may ask something that shows their bias, so I wasn't bothered by the question as being out of place or even virtue signaling.  Instead, I just saw it as a way to show that Rook was out to cause a reaction.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I may have had a problem with it if I couldn't picture a candidate being asked that same question IRL.  If that had been the case, it would have seemed far more sensationalist to me.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

I was basically talking about how the writers were "woke" and "virtue signaling." They did this by mentioning how horrible Israel is (it's not). it was the question that was the Israel bashing. Not the answer.

The panel mentioned a fact that is true in reality.  Gaza really only has power for a few hours a day. That's not whatever the hell virtue signalling is.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Might be a random question, but when they all rushed in from the party in the grandmother’s yard to watch the emergency alert on TV, did the (disabled and using a wheelchair in the rest of the episode) sister walk in?

We thought we saw her walk in, and then they do show her sitting in an armchair rather than a wheelchair, so it just caught us off guard and were trying to figure out if it was meant to signal something, or if perhaps just like for some people in real life, she only needs the wheelchair sometimes?

Edited by formergr

Share this post


Link to post

I seem to be in the minority, but I haven’t decided if I actually like this show that much so far. It’s probably a symptom of cramming 15-ish years of heavy political drama into half a dozen episodes and making that the center of the series, but the lack of character development bugs me a bit. Russel Tovey’s character in particular. The husband was a dope, yes, but at least he seemed to be trying to make more of an effort in their relationship IMO. Daniel didn’t think twice about brushing him aside and running off for Viktor during the bomb ‘scare’ and Viktor seems like a plot device more than anything else. He’s a hot young hunk caught in a terrible situation but hasn’t shown much of a personality. On a side note, Emma Thompson is superb as the over-the-top demagogue politician and I've seen enough Black Mirror to have a feeling that the “transhuman” nonsense will end badly 

Edited by overtherainbow
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×