Type keyword(s) to search

Years And Years - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, overtherainbow said:

but the lack of character development bugs me a bit. Russel Tovey’s character in particular. The husband was a dope, yes, but at least he seemed to be trying to make more of an effort in their relationship IMO. Daniel didn’t think twice about brushing him aside and running off for Viktor during the bomb ‘scare’ and Viktor seems like a plot device more than anything else. He’s a hot young hunk caught in a terrible situation but hasn’t shown much of a personality.  

I have to say, only 2 episodes in (in the US), I'm not sure what the point of giving Daniel a husband even was.  The entire Daniel/Viktor story line, as far as I can tell, could have gone on exactly as is if there wasn't an ex(?)-husband waiting in the wings.  All it did was make Daniel a less sympathetic character, which I don't think was necessary.

Again, though, I'm only 2 episodes in.  Maybe the raison d'etre for the husband will become clear in later episodes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, overtherainbow said:

I seem to be in the minority, but I haven’t decided if I actually like this show that much so far. It’s probably a symptom of cramming 15-ish years of heavy political drama into half a dozen episodes and making that the center of the series, but the lack of character development bugs me a bit. Russel Tovey’s character in particular. The husband was a dope, yes, but at least he seemed to be trying to make more of an effort in their relationship IMO. Daniel didn’t think twice about brushing him aside and running off for Viktor during the bomb ‘scare’ and Viktor seems like a plot device more than anything else. He’s a hot young hunk caught in a terrible situation but hasn’t shown much of a personality. On a side note, Emma Thompson is superb as the over-the-top demagogue politician and I've seen enough Black Mirror to have a feeling that the “transhuman” nonsense will end badly 

Pretty much my take on the series too, so far, although I’m leaning to the don’t like  camp. I’m inclined to like this sort of speculative fiction, but I’m finding the family stories totally uninvolving and forced. I think I would have preferred the series focus on the Emma Thompson character.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying what the actors are doing with the material.  I cracked up when Victor mouthed "How much?" after hearing about Stephen's financial losses.  I enjoyed watching Vivien Rook shaking hands with her opponents after learning she won the race, all her opponents save one, the one who ripped her mask off during a debate and exposed her as an ignoramus.

• Love 2
On 7/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I have to say, only 2 episodes in (in the US), I'm not sure what the point of giving Daniel a husband even was.  The entire Daniel/Viktor story line, as far as I can tell, could have gone on exactly as is if there wasn't an ex(?)-husband waiting in the wings.  All it did was make Daniel a less sympathetic character, which I don't think was necessary.

Again, though, I'm only 2 episodes in.  Maybe the raison d'etre for the husband will become clear in later episodes.

I'm guessing he's the one who told the authorities that Viktor was working when he shouldn't have been. Earlier in the episode, Daniel told his ex about that, and if it's something that could lead to deportation I don't think he'd be going around telling everyone. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I'm guessing he's the one who told the authorities that Viktor was working when he shouldn't have been. Earlier in the episode, Daniel told his ex about that, and if it's something that could lead to deportation I don't think he'd be going around telling everyone. 

I think Daniel let it slip that Viktor was working when they were briefly in the car together and later the ex went into the petrol station to confirm that he was actually working there and (if I remember correctly) he took a picture as proof. Why an asylum seeker isn’t allowed to have a job in the country where he’s seeking asylum and the fact that having a job automatically warrants deportation doesn’t make much sense to me though because it would seem like the fact that a refugee living with and having a relationship with an employee at the refugee camp  would be a bigger concern. But whatever

• Love 1
On 6/29/2019 at 3:10 AM, giovannif7 said:

Either that, or someone on the writing staff has an uncanny and precise ability to see the future...

Good grief, let's hope not...

On 7/5/2019 at 2:42 AM, formergr said:

Might be a random question, but when they all rushed in from the party in the grandmother’s yard to watch the emergency alert on TV, did the (disabled and using a wheelchair in the rest of the episode) sister walk in?

We thought we saw her walk in, and then they do show her sitting in an armchair rather than a wheelchair, so it just caught us off guard and were trying to figure out if it was meant to signal something, or if perhaps just like for some people in real life, she only needs the wheelchair sometimes?

She also got herself out of bed and down the stairs at the house of the guy with the sex robot. I think in the future wheelchairs can fly [like daleks].

On 7/5/2019 at 7:24 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I have to say, only 2 episodes in (in the US), I'm not sure what the point of giving Daniel a husband even was. 

If it was only to familiarise me with the actor Dino Fetscher, I'm happy with that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This is a Russell T Davies story after all. Satire is his forte from this to A Very British Scandal to Doctor Who to Queer as Folk. You learn to expect it in anything he does. And he always manages to get a great cast. That and the fact that it’s Russell Tovey is all I need to know!

• Love 5
On 7/3/2019 at 7:25 PM, Notwisconsin said:

I was basically talking about how the writers were "woke" and "virtue signaling." They did this by mentioning how horrible Israel is (it's not). it was the question that was the Israel bashing. Not the answer.

No concern over the American bashing?  Russian bashing?  China bashing?  They are being portrayed a whole lot worse. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 7/6/2019 at 10:56 PM, Fake Jan Brady said:

She also got herself out of bed and down the stairs at the house of the guy with the sex robot. I think in the future wheelchairs can fly [like daleks].

Someone using a wheelchair does not mean they are unable to walk at all.

• Love 3
On 7/6/2019 at 10:56 PM, Fake Jan Brady said:

Might be a random question, but when they all rushed in from the party in the grandmother’s yard to watch the emergency alert on TV, did the (disabled and using a wheelchair in the rest of the episode) sister walk in?

We thought we saw her walk in, and then they do show her sitting in an armchair rather than a wheelchair, so it just caught us off guard and were trying to figure out if it was meant to signal something, or if perhaps just like for some people in real life, she only needs the wheelchair sometimes?

I've seen the entire series so I'm not sure if they have said on screen but Rosie has spina bifida.  Some people with it do have paralysis of the legs but not everyone does.  She can walk short distances if she has to.

• Love 2
(edited)

As an urban cyclist (but not a delivery person, I cycle for fun and transportaion) I have so many feelings about  episode 3! A courier destroys another courier's bike. With his car. Does he think he's protecting the other courier, in a weird way? Is it disguest with the gig economy? Self-hatred? Argggh.

I knew the transhuman thing would not end well.

"Toy Story: Resurrection" Hee.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 3
On 7/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, Shaynaa said:

Gaza really only has power for a few hours a day. That's not whatever the hell virtue signalling is.

Yeah, it is. the government of Gaza (Hamas terrorists) is actively at WAR with Israel, and for the most part, Israel supplies power for most, if not ALL of the day all of the time. To bring it up out of nowhere, (could you explain to me how Gaza is integral to local politics in the UK) then show how the villain doesn't care about it,  is virtue signaling and Israel bashing.

7 hours ago, marinw said:

s an urban cyclist (but not a delivery person, I cycle for fun and transportaion) I have so many feelings about  episode 3! A courier destroys another courier's bike. With his car. Does he think he's protecting the other courier, in a weird way? Is it disguest with the gig economy? Self-hatred? Argggh.

I believe it was shown in a flashback that a bike courier hit the siblings' father, which led to his death. They had just come from the funeral when Stephen saw the delivery bike and acted (IMHO) out of a combination of revenge and self-hatred.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Broderbits said:

I believe it was shown in a flashback that a bike courier hit the siblings' father, which led to his death. They had just come from the funeral when Stephen saw the delivery bike and acted (IMHO) out of a combination of revenge and self-hatred.

That was my takeaway as well. It begs the question as to why seperated bikeways are still not a huge thing in 2026, or that such routes aren't condusive to speedy package delivery.

This show is depressing AF.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

Please remember to keep discussion focused on the show--which is set in the future--not on current events in the real world. 

Also, this is the sort of show designed to bring out various opinions and this is a great place to share opinions, but please remember to do so in a civil manner.

• Love 3

Regarding the cycling courier incidents that killed the siblings father during the time covered by the episode, and the cycle struck by the one sibling, in both instances the courier company was the competitor of the one the one sibling was working for. 

• Useful 4
33 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Who would give two sons the same name? (except George Foreman I guess)

I had this exact same thought! Also, Steven was really grating. I can't believe Edith drank the liquid remains of her father, then again if you have radiation poisoning, nothing really phases you.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, marinw said:

That was my takeaway as well. It begs the question as to why seperated bikeways are still not a huge thing in 2026, or that such routes aren't condusive to speedy package delivery.

The one bike courier with manners who actually stopped at a red light and he picks him to get even with!  I hated that. 

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Who would give two sons the same name? (except George Foreman I guess)

What is Edith up to?  Those signs made no sense.  And why drive a company into bankruptcy?

After watching Edith and her friend and their shenanigans with that company my  theory is that we’re going to find out Edith and her activist group are responsible for the bank collapse and possibly the atomic bombing.  

She’s had a couple of offhand comments about it already being to late to save the planet and that she just wants to burn it all to the ground .

I think she started as an eco-activist and now she’s a anarchist/terrorist.

Edited by Bama
  • Love 3
On 7/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, marinw said:

Why did I think this was a dramedy? I thought I read a review that said it was a funny drama or quirky or something.  I agree it is depressing AF.

• Love 3
On 7/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, marinw said:

1 hour ago, gibasi said:

Why did I think this was a dramedy? I thought I read a review that said it was a funny drama or quirky or something.  I agree it is depressing AF.

I wouldn't call it a dramedy, but a satire..and satire isn't always funny.  Yeah, it's depressing--but there is also the element of the absurd.  The trans-human thing?  Until the eyeball in the most recent episode, I found it pretty humorous/ridiculous.  And Emma Thompson/Vivian Rook brings it home.  Even though she is a horrible person, my favorite scene so far is Rook doing whatever that dance is on her TV network.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I wouldn't call it a dramedy, but a satire..and satire isn't always funny.  Yeah, it's depressing--but there is also the element of the absurd.  The trans-human thing?  Until the eyeball in the most recent episode, I found it pretty humorous/ridiculous.  And Emma Thompson/Vivian Rook brings it home.  Even though she is a horrible person, my favorite scene so far is Rook doing whatever that dance is on her TV network.

I wouldn’t call installing a camera in the eye socket ridiculous.  There was a point 40 or 50 years ago if you said that one day everyone would be carrying mini computers around with them everywhere they would say you’re crazy.  Now you can’t walk down a city street without seeing 90% of people staring at the screen or clinging on to it. 

• Love 3

It is satire. I too love the vivian rook plotline.  The way she started as a joke and all laughed at her, but she kept going and soon more were following her and were even spouting out her hateful dangerous old philosophies, before they voted for her and against their own self interests.  Saw it happen with members of my family...so it gets to me.  Luckily I adore Emma Thompson so that helps.

Two questions, was it Matt's husband that turned Victor in?  How did Stephen's wife Celeste get a copy of his fingerprint using the same contraption edith had earlier?  Is there a james bond store or something ?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Two questions, was it Matt's husband that turned Victor in?  How did Stephen's wife Celeste get a copy of his fingerprint using the same contraption edith had earlier?  Is there a james bond store or something ?

My guess is that it was the husband who either turned in Victor or at least sent in a tip.  Otherwise, why would we have had the scene of Matt meeting up to him (and telling him where Victor was working) only a few moments before.  Also, why would we even have a husband for Matt since the only way it makes any impact on the story is if he did turn Victor in.

As for the thumbprint, I was wondering that, too.  Maybe it is just a widespread thing that people have them--sort of like a spare key.   I mean, it's a way for Celeste to access her husband's phone if needed (but, if it were that out in the open, I would think he would at least delete the texts from his hook up).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

My guess is that it was the husband who either turned in Victor or at least sent in a tip.  Otherwise, why would we have had the scene of Matt meeting up to him (and telling him where Victor was working) only a few moments before.  Also, why would we even have a husband for Matt since the only way it makes any impact on the story is if he did turn Victor in.

As for the thumbprint, I was wondering that, too.  Maybe it is just a widespread thing that people have them--sort of like a spare key.   I mean, it's a way for Celeste to access her husband's phone if needed (but, if it were that out in the open, I would think he would at least delete the texts from his hook up).

The ex husband took a picture of Viktor working at the gas station and turned him in.  All the while telling Matt how happy he was that Matt was happy. 

• Love 5

Erstwhile sites. The Brits really do have a special way with euphemisms. Wonder if they originally came up with "benign neglect"?

I thought the first five episodes were great--emotional gut-punches and all--but the last one seemed to me to be a forced happy ending. Or at least a forced hope-filled ending. It seemed jarringly out-of-sync with the rest of the series to me.

I'm glad there won't be a second season because at this point I think it would have to be mostly science fiction. Black Mirror and the new Twilight Zone have dystopian sci-fi covered, IMO.

• Love 3
On 7/4/2019 at 9:08 PM, Rickster said:

Pretty much my take on the series too, so far, although I’m leaning to the don’t like  camp. I’m inclined to like this sort of speculative fiction, but I’m finding the family stories totally uninvolving and forced. I think I would have preferred the series focus on the Emma Thompson character.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:43 PM, marinw said:

On 7/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Popples said:

I had this exact same thought! Also, Steven was really grating. I can't believe Edith drank the liquid remains of her father, then again if you have radiation poisoning, nothing really phases you.

On 7/11/2019 at 11:50 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Erstwhile sites. The Brits really do have a special way with euphemisms. Wonder if they originally came up with "benign neglect"?

I thought the first five episodes were great--emotional gut-punches and all--but the last one seemed to me to be a forced happy ending. Or at least a forced hope-filled ending. It seemed jarringly out-of-sync with the rest of the series to me.

I'm glad there won't be a second season because at this point I think it would have to be mostly science fiction. Black Mirror and the new Twilight Zone have dystopian sci-fi covered, IMO.

I am having a hard time liking the Lyons family and not in a complex well written character type of way. They are all very annoying and really not likable. I wanted to slap that daughter for being so stupid and I did not like how her friend casually announced she could pay for her surgery.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

That phrase can be attributed to former Nixon White House policy aide and former U.S. Senator from New York, Daniel Patrick Moynahan.  He never lived that phrase down.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

That's my Favorite mangement style. A boss who leaves me alone.

I used to call that a laissez-faire management style. I thought it had a more positive spin than benign neglect, which in my perception includes a clear willingness to ignore actual harm being done.

I am having a hard time liking the Lyons family and not in a complex well written character type of way. They are all very annoying and really not likable.

I'm not sure the audience was meant to like them. I think they were just supposed to be representative of certain key elements of Western society, in a really on-the-nose way. The producer(s) walked a fine line between making them relatable and making them stereotypical.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 7/11/2019 at 11:50 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I wasn't aware that all 6 episodes were available.  I'll be avoiding this thread lest I be spoiled.  See you in 2 weeks!

• Love 3

Is there any chance that people who aren't engaged with today's politics might watch this show, see a connection, and get woke? Or is it just preaching to the choir? 'Cuz damn.

• Love 10

I agree that the ending of episode 4 was devastating, but I saw the reactions here before I had to chance to watch, so at least as I was able to prepare.  I did appreciate that the family came to Victor when they heard, showing that he's part of the family.

I was a little confused why Stephen made a big deal when he thought it was Daniel on the phone about how things had changed.  Daniel was on the family call when Celeste confronted Stephen, so Daniel would have already known about it.  That being said, Stephen is pretty detestable to me at the moment: he's caught in adultery, swears to his wife that it means absolutely nothing had he has no "relationship" with the other woman, and then promptly moves in with the other woman.  At least Muriel saw her grandson for what he was (much to Celeste's surprise).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Starchild said:

I figured he had nowhere else to go, it seemed more about sex than love. Who regularly walks in and says "I haven't got long" to someone they love? 

I'm sure that was the case, but I still think it was a bonehead move.

I'm going to make 2 assumptions.  The first is that the affair actually had nothing to do with sex, but with Stephen's feelings of guilt and shame from losing his job, losing his money, losing the house, and having to move in with his grandmother (whom his wife does not like).  

The second assumption is that Stephen doesn't want to break up his marriage and I'm basing this on what he said to Celeste--that he was sorry, that it meant nothing, that there was no relationship, yada yada yada.

So, if those two things are true--especially the second--going to the woman's flat (I forgot her name) was incredibly stupid.  If he truly wanted to salvage his marriage, he went a long way to make sure that never happened by going to his hook up's place instead of his sister's or a hotel (if he could afford it).

• Love 3
On 7/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Wow, I didn't see that coming.

Neither did I. It looked like they were going for a happy ending with those two. As in years from now they would look back at the major struggles they had to be together. At the worst end of the spectrum I thought it was Viktor that might die. 

• Love 3

Hey folks, we get that this is a case of Schrödinger’s cat when it comes to spoilers.  The show has aired in its entirety in the UK but there are still a few episodes left in the US and what is a spoiler to one may not be a spoiler to someone else.  As this is a single-thread limited show, we don't have the ability to start a spoiler thread.

So, please be considerate.  If you think something you post might be a spoiler to others, please use a spoiler tag.  If you see something that is a spoiler, please remember that UK viewers can't be expected to keep track of what is being aired in the US.

We realize this is not a perfect situation, but there are only a few episodes left and then everyone will be on the same page.

Thank you!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I did appreciate that the family came to Victor when they heard, showing that he's part of the family.

The Family are as imperfect as anyone, but I found that quite moving. It would be so easy for them to hate and resent Victor. Alas, they may in time.

I had a sick feeling the moment I saw the inflatable boat. Daniel's death was devastating, the worst thing so far on this show, which is saying  something.

Did anyone get what Stephan was doing with the drug trial? Was he volunteering as a guinea pig to get epilepsy meds for his daughter?

Edited by marinw
(edited)
On 7/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, marinw said:

Did anyone get what Stephan was doing with the drug trial? Was he volunteering as a guinea pig to get epilepsy meds for his daughter?

I think that he was doing it for money, as yet another job. There was some vague explanation that the UK had to do all its drug testing locally now that they weren't a part of the EU any more, but Stephan's goal was just to get some more money I think.

Edited by legxleg
because the EU and Europe are not actually the same thing
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was so shocked at Daniel's death. Mostly because I thought something was going to happen to Stephen. When Muriel and Celeste kicked him out and he had all his possessions on his back with the bike, I thought he might have another neck spasm and be hit by a car while inadvertently looking the other way.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, marinw said:

Stephen was participating in medical drug trials. Something about no longer being part of the EU and all the drugs being manufactured in Europe, so Britain had to start from scratch and make their own. People who participate in human subject research are usually compensated.  I don't think his daughter has epilepsy.

Poor Daniel. Poor Victor. When he opened the door and walked into Daniel's place I almost cried. Heartbreaking.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Stephen was participating in medical drug trials. Something about no longer being part of the EU and all the drugs being manufactured in Europe, so Britain had to start from scratch and make their own. People who participate in human subject research are usually compensated.  I don't think his daughter has epilepsy.

Stephen and Celeste's younger daughter--not the one who wants to become trans-human--is epileptic.  I don't think anything more has done about it that an off-hand comment about how she needs medication.  However, that had nothing to do with his medical tests.  He was doing that only for extra income.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Thanks--its sometimes hard to keep up with the Northern accents!

Yeah, it was easy to miss.  There was one line about it--at one point when everyone was sitting around Muriel's table and complaining about the state of the world, if I remember correctly.  I would guess, though, that it might come into play at some point in the remaining episodes.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:45 AM, goldilocks said:

It wasn’t cut really, they changed the whole newscast.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, theschnauzers said:

That whole bit is really strange. Wonder what will be done for the inevitable DVD release?

UK DVD's are a different format than North American DVD's so most likely the UK release would have the newscast shown on BBC One and the U.S. release would have the one shown on HBO.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, marinw said:

As an urban cyclist (but not a delivery person, I cycle for fun and transportaion) I have so many feelings about  episode 3! A courier destroys another courier's bike. With his car. Does he think he's protecting the other courier, in a weird way? Is it disguest with the gig economy? Self-hatred? Argggh.

I knew the transhuman thing would not end well.

"Toy Story: Resurrection" Hee.

It was the same courier company that resulted in their Fathers death 

Edited by endure
  • Love 1