Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

(edited)

This is just reminding me that I always liked Julia, and in fact preferred her over sister Brenda.

Also, I have always found Lucy super-annoying.  

Also, this is sadly the best Luke / Bill's hair will ever look on this show (and it is still terrible).

Also ... what were we thinking in the early 90s with these clothes????

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Welcome to the Lucy Haters Club! We feast on roast duck and keep sporks to stick into our ears when she starts talking. ;)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
(edited)

Probably the last time the show really had me on many levels - the first Nurses' Ball revival back in 2013. Sure, things on the larger canvas was far from perfect (the Ball also featured the coronation of Princess Sabrina), but this and many other moments were mint - jump to 5:30:

Particularly fantastic: JJY and Kristina Wagner living it up in the back and Hailey Pullos and Tequan Richmond's flawless lipsyncing. Everybody was just havin' a real good time and it was about honoring the best past of the show.

And then a month or so later: Franco, Silas and Kiki.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6

This has been posted at least once or twice, I'm sure. Possibly by me. Anyway: Tony Jones' heroic death from 2006, and the monkey virus story - which had huge potential and was only half-done well. But one thing they got right was their use of Tony, after many years of being barely there. His final scene still gives me chills.

This was very well-done, but next to offing A.J. (which was very poorly done) this was really the beginning of GH believing they could kill any veteran off with impunity (though they'd already casually wasted Stefan, Zander and Rick Webber, all mistakes IMO). IIRC Alan was next, and that was what drove me away from the show for years. Should never have happened, along with Emily and so many others.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/22/2017 at 11:23 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

This is just reminding me that I always liked Julia, and in fact preferred her over sister Brenda.

Also, this is sadly the best Luke / Bill's hair will ever look on this show (and it is still terrible).

Also ... what were we thinking in the early 90s with these clothes????

I always liked Julia and preferred her over Brenda as well. It seems like the show never knew where to take her. This whole story with Ned and Bill plotting to steal the cannery from Julia (and wasn't she involved with them both?) was confusing.

My favorite scene in all of the episode was the bit in one of the clips with Tom, Bobbie, Scott, Tony and Simone. The bitching between Lucy and Simone (always so underused with either actress in the role) and the uneasy Scott/Bobbie tension. There were a lot of dynamics that could have been explored. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

Thanks for the welcome ulkis to the Lucy haters club.  And ... uh, thanks ... I guess ... for that video of Sabrina ... lol.

But back to Julia - it did seem like once they pushed her out of the relationship with Bill Eckert (to put him with Holly and try to revive the TG / ES non-magic) the show had no idea what to do with her anymore.  Stupid, since she was smart and witty and had charisma galore.   They should have plotted a real new love interest for her.

I did like Simone, who, yes, was very underused.  

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I feel awkward posting this after all the Lucy hate that was expressed a few days back, but this scene from early 1991--taped when Lynn was heavily pregnant with her first son, Hank--is SO difficult to watch. It's hard enough seeing Alan--who, of course, was a doctor--brow beat her, thinking she was faking the pain until realizing far too late that she wasn't, but knowing that Lynn was really pregnant with her first child, and was clearly VERY far along by that point, makes it about ten times worse.

I'm almost positive this is from near the beginning of Gloria Monty's ill-fated second tenure on the show. Lord knows she wasn't above treating the women of GH like shit. (See Genie Francis, Denise Alexander, and Finola Hughes.) 

Luckily, the story during Lynn's pregnancy two years later with her second son, Grady--which was during Lucy's pregnancy with Serena--seemed to be a lot easier for her to deal with.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

If I hadn't known the characters and the context, I would have assumed that the story being told in the first minute and a half is that of long-suffering, dour club owner crushing on the irreverent and glib Australian.

I'm not sure if 10% of Robert's dialogue in these scenes were adlibbed by Tristan or if it was 60%.  Somewhere between those two figures.

The sweater on the guy in ad at 8:52?!  Why did we let blind people dress us in 1988?

The follow up to this episode is great.  Anna fakes losing an earring the night before, so she high tails is over to the club to find out whether Robert spent the night with Cheryl. J-e-a-l-o-u-s.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Francie said:

If I hadn't known the characters and the context, I would have assumed that the story being told in the first minute and a half is that of long-suffering, dour club owner crushing on the irreverent and glib Australian.

I'm not sure if 10% of Robert's dialogue in these scenes were adlibbed by Tristan or if it was 60%.  Somewhere between those two figures.

The sweater on the guy in ad at 8:52?!  Why did we let blind people dress us in 1988?

The follow up to this episode is great.  Anna fakes losing an earring the night before, so she high tails is over to the club to find out whether Robert spent the night with Cheryl. J-e-a-l-o-u-s.

I think that would have been a pretty compelling story...

It was fun to see Duke gently teasing Anna about her jealousy rather than the usual soap scene of him berating her until she burst into tears. 

I guess this was a breather for a high-energy era (maybe because of the strike) but it was nice to see various couples just enjoying themselves and talking.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I think that would have been a pretty compelling story...

It was starting to catch my attention! 

It was fun to see Duke gently teasing Anna about her jealousy rather than the usual soap scene of him berating her until she burst into tears.

Oh, the days when the adults acted like adults. Not entirely immune to petty squabbles and jealousies, but  still able to have some perspective and maturity. 

• Love 2

Been watching old clips and forgot how much I loved this one from before Maxie and Spinelli's non-wedding.

Some fun lines:

Patrick: Ok, hey, Mac, you know what, look at Robin and I. I mean, you thought I was wrong for her. You wrote me off as a serial womanizer and a heartbreaker. You couldn't stand to be around me. Now look at us. We're in the same room, we're breathing the same air and I don't feel a threat of violence - in this moment.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mac: Ahh. You know, that's one more reason to dislike Spinelli--he makes Patrick look good.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Patrick: Maybe I should talk to him.

Robin: Really? And say what?

Patrick: Well, that, like I said, Maxie's a grown-up. She can make her own choices. Like, you know, like he did with you.

Robin: Are you kidding me? I don't know, I seem to remember him handcuffing you until I agreed to marry you.

Patrick: So you only married me because you were forced into it?

Robin: Yes, absolutely.

Patrick: Absolutely?

Robin: I have argued with my uncle Mac about everything in life, but you know what, he's usually right. He was right about you.

Patrick: Heh. You're a suck up.

• Love 4
On 8/1/2017 at 3:14 AM, Pete Martell said:

The clip that follows this -- start it at 5:09 -- an external shot where Robert walks along with Bert, telling him he knows that Bert is corrupt, all the while Bert's men are in the building singing, "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow," is one of those scenes imprinted on my memory.  It may seem a bit low production values now (well, in comparison to general tv but not current GH), but it seemed like the height of good drama back then, to this teen age kid:

• Love 4

I am watching the story line where Luke runs for mayor. I never knew he ran to spite Robert or that they had  a feud over Robert marrying Holly while Luke was presumed dead. Who did the viewers root for? I have the feeling that we are supposed to be rooting for Luke but I can't stand him Robert all the way!

I am also so impressed with how they set up the introduction of new characters so far in advance. They talked about characters like Celia and DL Brock long before they appeared on screen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Carly: Is Robin sick or something?

Jason: Do they pay you to do something here?

Carly: What's the matter with you? Afraid I'm going to tell her whose changing your oil on a regular basis? You know, why does she always come first?

Jason: Because that was decided before I met you.

Carly: I see. So you sleep with me and she gets the rose. Put us together and you've got one whole girlfriend.

Jason: Carly, what's the problem? We have what we have and you picked it. If the question is do I like you? Yeah, I do.

Carly: Okay, then what is it about me? I mean I could be walking down the street with Robin, or just about anybody, we both fainted at the same time you would drive over my limp body to bring her smelling salts.

Jason: Because you wouldn't faint - you'd be faking.

Carly: Would it surprise you to know that there is a man, one man, who feels something more for me?

Jason (shaking his head): Uh uh.

Carly: You know, he doesn't have an ulterior motive, the man's never even laid a finger on me and it's funny cause the head nurse here thinks that he belongs to her but when I'm around he doesn't even give her a second look. To him, she's me and I'm Robin.

Jason: That's great.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Carly: Okay, then what is it about me? I mean I could be walking down the street with Robin, or just about anybody, we both fainted at the same time you would drive over my limp body to bring her smelling salts.

Jason: Because you wouldn't faint - you'd be faking.

LMAO. This is still one of my favorite exchanges ever.

Jason has always known exactly who Carly is. Since BM took over it's gotten a little fuzzy—mostly because Jason and Carly don't have much interaction—but I like that the dynamic between Carly and Jason is consistent with its original intent.

• Love 1
On August 9, 2017 at 8:33 PM, pianogirl73 said:

I am watching the story line where Luke runs for mayor. I never knew he ran to spite Robert or that they had  a feud over Robert marrying Holly while Luke was presumed dead. Who did the viewers root for? I have the feeling that we are supposed to be rooting for Luke but I can't stand him Robert all the way!

I am also so impressed with how they set up the introduction of new characters so far in advance. They talked about characters like Celia and DL Brock long before they appeared on screen. 

I felt some empathy for Luke when I watched that storyline, because on some level I think he knew he'd screwed up by "playing dead" instead of calling Holly to let her know he was alive but paralyzed ... but he wouldn't admit it, and instead got mad at Robert and Holly for moving on so quickly after his "death."  

Overall, I think the show eventually had Luke acknowledge that he was acting irrationally for much of the year and a half after Laura's disappearance.  But the audience was supposed to believe Luke at least thought he was madly in love with Holly and that his manly pride had somehow been wounded.  Maybe he was also supposed to have some kind of shock or PTSD from his injury and thinking, at first, that he would never walk again.  So even though Robert was obviously the good guy in that scenario, you were supposed to feel bad for Luke as well.

The weird thing was how Ruby and Bobbie never got mad at Luke for letting them think he'd died ... and Bobbie was a right bitch to Robert and Holly!

• Love 2
(edited)

Random musings as I watch the beginnings of Frisco and Felicia (1984):

This story was incredibly silly, and I think they only got away with it because F and F were both so, so, so pretty and had instant chemistry.  She's actually quite bratty in the beginning, the "Princess" stuff is eye-roll inducing, and the fact that she expects Frisco to keep hiding her while refusing to explain why mysterious men are chasing her is really asking a lot.  Obviously, Frisco is just plain smitten with her (while pretending to argue with her constantly about what a pain she is).   

The only one who doesn't look like a nincompoop in this story (so far) is Tony, who wants to help his brother and his brother's new gal pal  ... but knows something really weird is up with her.   (He often goes by "Anthony" in the beginning, as a fun factoid.)

I assume the story will get better eventually, but it's like weeks and weeks of her interacting with nobody but Frisco and them having the same conversation over and over ("give me back my ring!  I'm a princess!"  "tell me who's chasing you!"  "no!"  "then I'm keeping the ring!"  "ok, then get me food!"  "fine, I will!  you're so demanding!")  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

.  Obviously, Frisco is just plain smitten with her.

And I would bet you anything that just as much of that was Jack being smitten with Kristina--it sounded like they fell for each other pretty quickly, even though she was still married to her first husband when they met. 

The Aztec princess story was really dumb, but I thought it was fun dumb. And watching JW and KM (as she was then) fall in love for real was a lot of fun to watch.

Fun dumb is what the current Ask Man Landers story should be, but I don't think these writers are capable of anything fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

True enough -- I do appreciate fun dumb, which is why I still have a blast watching 80s clips even while I'm rolling my eyes.  

Right now I'm just impatient for Felicia to interact with more characters, and for the story to move to Mexico  ...  I already know that's where Robert gets involved and we meet Sean Donnelly.  

And, God help me, I'm kinda looking forward to Luke showing up for his guest appearance in the Mexico part of the story.  Must've missed the little bastard since I finished the '83 clips ... 

ETA: wait, KM(W) also had a spouse she ditched for her co-star???  Didn't TR leave his wife for ES?  That set must have been its own crazy soap opera in the 80s, LOL.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

That set must have been its own crazy soap opera in the 80s, LOL.  

It was! JE mentioned the BTS shenanigans that went on in various interviews. She names no names, but coke played a big role in what happened.

19 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

ETA: wait, KM(W) also had a spouse she ditched for her co-star???  Didn't TR leave his wife for ES?  That set must have been its own crazy soap opera in the 80s, LOL.  

I looked it up--and I guess so; it says he divorced his first wife in 1984! And then he and Emma break up shortly after they leave the show because they realize that was about the only thing they had in common. Go figure. 

Kristina had married young in her hometown of Indianapolis, then when the auditions for Felicia went nationwide, she auditioned in Chicago, got the role, moved to LA, met Jack shortly after, and that was that. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

One of the weirder things about 1984 is the number of times (3) Robert tries to resign his job as Commissioner because he thinks he fucked up.  And each time, Mayor Lee Baldwin is like "omg, just do better next time, you big dramatic weirdo.  Go back to your office!"  

• Love 7
On 8/23/2017 at 5:54 AM, Neptune said:

1987 Happy Mother's Day Monica!

That just makes me feel so sad. 

Oh - this must be the other Bradley Lockerman character Frisco wanted to rough up. I'd never seen him.

Edited by Pete Martell