Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

Remember when rape wasn't a plot point? This scene where Audrey goes to one of Elizabeth's therapy sessions with Gail Baldwin is lovely and something you'd never see today. These kind of scenes were the reason I always disagreed with those who said Elizabeth's rape became all about Lucky and Luke, even as I could see where they were coming from. The therapy session starts at 26:00.

(As an aside, shut up, Barbara Jean. I'd forgotten how much she annoyed me, even though she's mostly in the right. I can't explain it.)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2

Bobbie has a cloying daughter. Lol, I meant to type cloying voice, but it's a funny typo, so I'll leave it. Anyway, she has a cloying voice, that's why she was annoying a lot of the time to me.

I was pretty impressed that they tied in Audrey's past experience. And aw, the no-name dance!

• Love 5

I'm afraid to watch the Asian Quarter story because I anticipate it will be offensive on a million levels.  

On the topic of Bobbie .... she has never been a favorite of mine.  I am fond of JZ, and have had moments of great sympathy for Bobbie, and she was great during Liz's rape storyline.  But I don't care for Bobbie.   All of her pairings are terrible, with the exception of the beginning of Bobbie/ Tony.  I'm sure there are people who remember Bobbie / Noah fondly, but their relationship was actually terrible ... he wouldn't commit, she actually pretends to be temporarily blind at one point to get him to say "I love you," and they break up but then start sleeping together again in secret when he's dating Tiffany.  And I know we're supposed to think Luke and Bobbie are a great sibling team, but they are dysfunctional weirdos -- the only one in that family that was ever pleasant was Ruby. 

And she produced Carly.  So ... yeah.

• Love 1

I'm not a Carly fan by any means but she handled telling Jason about Robin's "death" in a very kind way. In a weird way, she was the perfect person to tell him.

Carly: You know, it's really hard when someone gives you a gift and you can never repay them. I mean you can't comfortably despise them and you're sitting there reconsidering all the horrible things you thought about them and all the assumptions you made, like that you were always right and they were always wrong, and then all of a sudden you see the good that everyone saw...

Jason: Did something happen to Robin?

Carly: I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry.

Jason: What? What!

Carly: Robin's dead.

And a little later on...

Jason: So Robin died trying to save me.

Carly: Robin went back in for that drug because she's a doctor and you're her patient and that meant something to her. And you're her friend and that means even more.

Jason: She shouldn't have taken the chance.

Carly: Jason, don't blame yourself. Hey, Robin doesn't deserve that. She made a choice to save you, and you need to honor that.

Jason: I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, cmahorror said:

Jason: I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye.

Crying. Robin taught him that it was important to say goodbye. :(

Jason's dialogue was on-point in those episodes. Really good stuff.

Edited by HeatLifer
13 hours ago, cmahorror said:

I'm not a Carly fan by any means but she handled telling Jason about Robin's "death" in a very kind way. In a weird way, she was the perfect person to tell him.

She really was. Sonny would have made it all about him and his pain. Carly not being Robin's biggest fan (while still finally acknowledging she wasn't so terrible after all) made it possible for her to focus on how Robin's "death" affected Jason.

12 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

This is the kind of stuff I really miss

Same here. It's not even anything groundbreaking. It's basic soap! But we don't get that anymore.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly not being Robin's biggest fan (while still finally acknowledging she wasn't so terrible after all) made it possible for her to focus on how Robin's "death" affected Jason

I think, at the end of the day, Carly knew Jason loved Robin (regardless of however she felt or wanted to delusionally believe). I believe she told Johnny that when he asked her why she was having such a reaction to Robin dying.

Robin, Robert, Frisco and Felicia playing a game together before Robert fights to keep the little girl from going to another home. Keep in mind that Robert did not know Robin was his daughter at this time.

Robin: I don't want that lady to take me away from here.

Robert: Then why don't we keep our fingers crossed, hey?

Robin: Please Robbie?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Jason giving Michael a speech about guns. But if someone dared to give Jason a speech about his own use of guns.... 

Hello, pot? It's the kettle - you're black.

Edited by cmahorror
7 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Jason giving Michael a speech about guns. But if someone dared to give Jason a speech about his own use of guns.... 

Whoa, no warning.

And now me and cmahorror both quote the picture, so it's three times in a row! Sorry everyone! Sorry!

On December 15, 2016 at 1:25 PM, cmahorror said:

Robin, Robert, Frisco and Felicia playing a game together before Robert fights to keep the little girl from going to another home. Keep in mind that Robert did not know Robin was his daughter at this time.

Robin: I don't want that lady to take me away from here.

Robert: Then why don't we keep our fingers crossed, hey?

Robin: Please Robbie?

This right here is why I get so irrationally angry whenever they portray Robert or Anna as shitty, neglectful parents in the present day.  Fuck. That. Shit.  

Back in the day, they made serious mistakes and crazy things kept happening in their lives, but they really, really adored Robin.  Written in character, they would be far better parents to their adult daughter.  Makes me rage-y ...  

I did love the dynamic of Robert wanting to keep this kid before he even knew she was a relative.  Awwww.

• Love 2
(edited)

A very young Charles Shaughnessy turned up in the middle of 1984, as Holly's cousin Alistair.  Holly invites him home, but Alistair eventually uses her home to receive a shipment of stolen goods and Robert catches him in the act.  

Poor Holly -- although, since she knows her entire family is a nest of con artists, she can't have been too surprised at how this ended.  Alistair still manages to be the least shitty of her relatives (besides her dead father). 

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

A year ago today Patrick and Robin remarried and left PC.

Anna: I want to wish you a lot of luck in California but you're not going to need it.

Patrick (looking at Robin): I've got everything I need.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

the cheesy karaoke scene

Was that when practically everyone was at Jake's (as it was known then)? I had intense secondhand embarrassment during that, but it was so obvious the cast was having a great time that I was won over. We rarely see so many characters in the same place at the same time and having fun.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

Oh, Carly.

Seriously, what was up with that hair? It wasn't the style.

Also, why did Carly quit nursing school? I actually never did know.

I mean, the only reason she was in the program was to get closer to Tony/Bobbie.

• Love 1

Yeah, she was Katherine Bell's (ugh) physical therapist when she was paralyzed and Luke blackmailed Carly into spying on Katherine and Stefan. I don't recall that she actually accomplished much at either of those tasks.

• Love 1

Oh man, I remember those scenes from '96.   The one with Alan and Robin is one of the first in the series where he explains the antiretroviral drug cocktail to her, and that she may be able to live a normal life span.  

How the mighty have fallen -- this show used to be a worth a damn.  And I say this as someone who preferred the lighter (but still emotion-invoking) days of the 80s.  I might not have enjoyed the sadness of the AIDS story at the time, but it obviously stuck with me and was meaningful.  

• Love 4

If memory serves, that is Colton, who Felicia nearly married during a time when Frisco was missing and presumed dead by the WSB.  I think Colton was brainwashed by the DVX and a danger to Felicia ... and then the DVX's plan failed because Colton was basically a nice and very bland man who didn't actually want to hurt Felicia when in his right mind.  Or Robert and Anna figured it out in time and/or Frisco turned up alive.  Or something.  

• Love 2

I think Felicia did marry him (although it obviously turned out to be invalid). But I recall she somehow faked amnesia or had it, recovered, and still faked it, to avoid having to choose between Colton and Frisco.

• Love 1

It's still funny that they tried so hard to give Nikolas a love story and it was teen JJ who had the bonafide hit major romance. 

I kinda miss Emily. I think I miss her less for herself and more for the stories she was a part of. I would have liked to see her come back to see what kind of chem AT and TC had had. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ulkis said:

It's still funny that they tried so hard to give Nikolas a love story

In some alternate soap universe they did a Nik/Robin/Jason triangle and it was epic.

3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Robin (though not that haircut

I wasn't a fan of the short hair either. At the time, KMc was dating Freddie Prinze Jr. and they looked like twins, lol. I will say this, though. Kim is fearless when it comes to her hair. She's had every type of haircut.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Baby Lulu

Decidedly brunette Lulu. Hee.

9 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Robin (though not that haircut)

I liked the pixie cut, though that iteration needed some help.

All the kids looked like babies! Ugh, I'm old. GF still looks great. Fuck you, JFP.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

I wasn't a fan of the short hair either. At the time, KMc was dating Freddie Prinze Jr. and they looked like twins, lol. I will say this, though. Kim is fearless when it comes to her hair. She's had every type of haircut.

Yeah, I remember. I also remember the rumor that FPJ hated the way Steve Burton would run his fingers through her hair and so made her cut it, which I hope isn't true.

Actually, in these scenes Kim and Tyler kind of look like twins. Excuse me, I have to mourn the Robin/Nikolas relationship that never was.

Edited by Melgaypet
stop leaving out entire words, stupid
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Yeah, I remember. I also remember the rumor that FPJ hated the way Steve Burton would run his fingers through her hair and so made her cut it, which I hope isn't true.

LMAO. That's funny if true because he still did it when her hair was short. 

Robin and Patrick have a picnic in the hospital.

I love that she doesn't get distracted by his moves at all - she knows exactly what he is doing and calls him out on it. She even turns the tables on him by getting the cheat sheet and beating him at his own game.

• Love 1