Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Birds & The Bees

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 12/30/2018 at 8:38 AM, AuntieMame said:

But, but, but, isn’t this the truth of women’s lives? Even still? A pregnancy can and does change our lives. The reaction of the man or men involved directly or indirectly has everything to do with just how bad our punishment is. A rape victim is still an object of suspicion even when believed. Men are still critical of when if and how women have sex, angry if they do, angry if a woman they desire denies them sex. Women really can be criticized for both having sex and not having sex and it is still effective.

And finally men that we have trusted and loved turn on a dime and show us their misogyny and privilege about our bodies when we least expect it as Roger and to a lesser extent Jaime do in this entire plot bonanza. 

Exactly! When I read people saying that rape and pregnancy stories are plot devices -- I am like -- welcome to life as a woman!

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Loved the Jaime and Bree cute/meet. Loved Claire and Bree seeing one another. That scene was very well done.

Jaime and Bree, however (at least the actors) are way too close in age and look more like brother and sister than father and daughter. It took me out of their bonding scene in the forest -- I was like -- they look like siblings!

• Love 3

Jaime and Bree, however (at least the actors) are way too close in age and look more like brother and sister than father and daughter. It took me out of their bonding scene in the forest -- I was like -- they look like siblings!

Now, if Jamie were Bree's mother, rather than her father, "she'd" take that as a compliment! ;-)

• Love 3
On 1/7/2019 at 11:21 AM, taanja said:

Exactly! When I read people saying that rape and pregnancy stories are plot devices -- I am like -- welcome to life as a woman!

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Loved the Jaime and Bree cute/meet. Loved Claire and Bree seeing one another. That scene was very well done.

Jaime and Bree, however (at least the actors) are way too close in age and look more like brother and sister than father and daughter. It took me out of their bonding scene in the forest -- I was like -- they look like siblings!

I don't think it is the fact that women's biology and sexuality as interpreted by men is still an overwhelming fact of women's lives that people are objecting to when the rape as trope criticism is made. I think the objections are about the fact that these stories, the point of view, the reactions of the other characters, the thoughts and emotions evoked in the audience are still about the men involved, even when it's subtle. Jaime made a mistake defending his property. Roger is upset because his property is sullied. The plot turns on their, predictable, reactions. And reinforces them in the culture. I think this is the objection. 

Stories that even obliquely address the fact that women live with the threat of assault, rape and murder at all times and that any man can do one or all three at any time and how this affects the way we think and live? How many stories are there about that? 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Love 2