Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

This is obviously something that John Oliver has had to figure out, that Trevor Noah has had to figure out, the issue of how a "outsider" can discuss this. How do you guys see James' "outsider" voice interacting with American politics?

Winston: I think John Oliver's shown that it's not an issue, because I think that John Oliver's probably one of the best at it. I think that he's put that issue to bed, so I think we just try and make a funny show every night and if there's something political in that or if we notice something that we want to put in our mono that's from the current issues of the day, then I think we'll do it. What I would say is that we don't really have a rule that we make over how much politics we cover or we don't. I think we just do what's right and do what amuses us as producers and James as a host. Therefore, we don't really have a hard and fast rule about it, but I do think that John Oliver has shown that somebody who wasn't born here can make jokes and skewer what's going on in the nation.

'Late Late Show' Producers on Not Overdoing 'Carpool Karaoke' and the Power of Viral

Just format wise, when you look at what, say for example, John Oliver gets to do, and you look at what Sam gets to do with only one night per week...

Oh yeah. F— those guys. F— Sam and John is all I have to say. <He laughs> John Oliver, I've teased him so much about his schedule. It's so funny, but yeah. There's pros and cons of doing those. I think they feel frustration probably because they don't get a chance to comment on everything. There are things that go by that they probably say, "Oh man, I wish we could talk about that," but then on the other hand, they get to distill what they're saying over a week's time and put it all in one show. There's pros and cons to that. We feel the opposite. We have to do a show every night, so we have to react very quickly. We don't have the time to necessarily do that type of thing, but we get to weigh in right away when something happens, which is nice too. There's pros and cons to both.

Larry Wilmore on the Challenges of Breaking Into Late Night and Why He Teases John Oliver

I'm betting that Larry Wilmore's career is merely dead, and his career will soon be most sincerely dead, as a result of his performance at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.  I liked him the best of Wilmore, Oliver, and Noah.   I got tired of Jon Stewart years ago.   I would never have bet that John Oliver would do so well, especially since he's on pay cable, but there it is. 

I always liked Oliver but after seeing him take over for Jon (who I also was tired of) his success doesn't surprise me one bit.  But as for Wilmore, I don't think his career is dead.  He had a long history of being a producer.  I don't hear rumors of CC wanting to change its late night lineup.  I think his WH stint is kind of forgotten. I believe Stephen Colbert's is the only memorable hosting gig.

• Love 2

How are we onto Larry Wilmore and his career being dead?  He hasn't been canceled.  There's no indication he will be.

I bet his job is far more secure than Trevor Noah's.

Getting back to Oliver, I'm curious how many years he'll keep doing Last Week Tonight, but theoretically it could be for a long time. Cable comedy/talk shows seem to hang on pretty well once they get past that break-in period.

• Love 3

"Real Time with Bill Maher" has been on since 2003. I would imagine considering the amount of buzz Oliver gets, he'll be able to keep going indefinitely, just like Bill. (Were it not for "LWT," I'd consider canceling HBO once "Game of Thrones" goes off the air, but as long as they keep John Oliver around, I'll continue paying the extra $$.)

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, trow125 said:

"Real Time with Bill Maher" has been on since 2003. I would imagine considering the amount of buzz Oliver gets, he'll be able to keep going indefinitely, just like Bill. (Were it not for "LWT," I'd consider canceling HBO once "Game of Thrones" goes off the air, but as long as they keep John Oliver around, I'll continue paying the extra $$.)

I was thinking about noting that too. Plus, if you consider Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher as part of the same formula, then Maher showed the strength of sticking to a formula for that long--albeit having to transition in his case from broadcast to cable. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, trow125 said:

14 hours ago, Kromm said:

I was thinking about noting that too. Plus, if you consider Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher as part of the same formula, then Maher showed the strength of sticking to a formula for that long--albeit having to transition in his case from broadcast to cable. 

Between the amount of buzz, the number of loyal fans who become or remain subscribers and the online views on official monetized platforms I'm sure HBO is very very happy. I'm sure he'll be around as long as he likes. It wouldn't surprise me if he leaves before Bill Maher though either because he gets a better offer, or decides to emulate Jon Stewart and leave while he's on top/realizes he's exhausted and can't do anything really new and different with the format. In Late Night comedy there is a lot of evidence of the longetivity to be achieved with sticking with a formula (and Maher is just one example). But it always comes at the cost of host/audience burnout and missed opportunities (and Maher is just one example).

• Love 1
(edited)

John Oliver, former congressman Anthony Weiner, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Jeff Daniels, Allison Janney and Keegan-Michael Key will be among Stephen Colbert’s guests when CBS’ The Late Show goes live during the RNC and DNC conventions, starting Monday.

Live shows during the RNC’s clambake will be headlined “The 2016 Trumpublian Donational Conventrump Starring Donald Trump As the Republican Party” which, the show adds “May Contain Traces of Republican.”

Hillary Clinton’s coronation, meanwhile, has been cozily named “The 2016 Democratic National Convincing A Technically Historic Event: Death. Taxes. Hillary” The Late Show will have on-site teams in Cleveland and Philly as well.

John Oliver & Elizabeth Warren Join Stephen Colbert To Cover Donald Trump, Hillary Coronations At Conventions

The 2016 Emmy Award nominees were announced this morning by Anthony Anderson and Lauren Graham. The award ceremony will be held on Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Microsoft Theater, and will air live on ABC, with Jimmy Kimmel acting as host.

Outstanding Directing For A Variety Series
Ryan McFaul, “Inside Amy Schumer”
Paul Pennolino, “Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”
Tim Mancinelli, “The Late Late Show With James Corden”
Don Roy King, “Saturday Night Live”
Dave Diomedi, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon”

Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming
“CONAN In Korea”
“Drunk History”
“Key & Peele”
”Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”
“Lemonade”

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Variety Series Or Special
“Danny Elfman's Music From The Films Of Tim Burton (Live From Lincoln Center)”
“Grease: Live”
“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver”
“The Oscars”
“The Voice”

Outstanding Variety Talk Series
“Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee“
“Jimmy Kimmel Live“
“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver“
“The Late Late Show With James Corden“
“Real Time With Bill Maher“
“The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon“

Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control For A Series
“The Big Bang Theory“
“Dancing With The Stars“
“Jimmy Kimmel Live“
“Saturday Night Live“
“The Voice“

Outstanding Writing For A Variety Series
“Full Frontal With Samantha Bee“
“Inside Amy Schumer“
“Key & Peele“
“Portlandia“
“Saturday Night Live“

Complete list of 2016 Emmy nominees

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 1

Great title -- “The 2016 Trumpublian Donational Conventrump Starring Donald Trump As the Republican Party” which, the show adds “May Contain Traces of Republican.”

Congratulations to everyone at LWT for the noms.

(edited)

The "Last Week Tonight" host joins Seinfeld for the season finale of the digital series, which in its eighth season welcomed guests including comedian, Margaret Cho, and "SNL" creator, Lorne Michaels.

From this brief look at the episode, it appears that Oliver and the former sitcom star tackle England, and the intricacies of men with bangs. Seinfeld has a way of putting his passengers at ease and extracting fascinating stories, so we'll undoubtedly learn more about Oliver when the episode releases on Thursday.

John Oliver becomes fast friends with Jerry Seinfeld in 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee'

John Oliver-the multi-award-winning comedian and host of the hit HBO show Last Week Tonight with John Oliver-has announced he will ring in the New Year at the Fox Theatre with back-to-back performances on Friday, December 30 and Saturday, December 31 at 7 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Friday, July 22 at 10 a.m. and can be purchased at OlympiaEntertainment.com, LiveNation.com, The Fox Theatre and Joe Louis Arena box offices, Hockeytown Authentics in Troy (without service charge) at all Ticketmaster locations and Ticketmaster.com. To charge tickets by phone, call (800) 745-3000. For additional information, call (313) 471-6611.

John Oliver Set to Perform at the Fox Theatre, December 30 & 31

Episodes of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver are currently averaging a gross audience of 5.6 million viewers, making its third season the most watched most over last year’s average of 4.7 million. 22% of viewers watched Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO On Demand, HBO GO and HBO NOW.

Game of Thrones Ratings Averaged Over 25 Million Per Episode

Edited by OneWhoLurks

Okay, even only seeing those little bits from the preview, that Seinfeld/Oliver interaction seems brilliant.  Seinfeld is to be frank sometimes hit or miss with these--they're never bad, but it takes a real connection with a guest for it to be elevated. Oliver's seems elevated. He and Seinfeld really DO seem to get each other on a comedic level.

Here's an embed of the preview if people don't want to click through to look back at that CNN article.

“We’re going to get along just fine,” Oliver predicted at the beginning of the episode, and he was right. After picking Oliver up in the “perfect British definition of a sports car,” a 1959 Triumph TR3, Seinfeld told the Last Week Tonight host, “I have been watching so much of your stuff. I really have to compliment you,” joking that he would cut the praise out of the show. 

Seinfeld said he has become “obsessed” with Oliver’s HBO program, adding, “I don’t even know what the hell it is, is it just you talking, is that it?”

“HBO will let you do anything, so you want to say, OK, where is that line?” Oliver added later. “Let’s see what ‘anything’ means, shall we?” As an example, he told Seinfeld about the secret trip he took to Russia in 2015 to interview Edward Snowden, which he said managed to anger both the White House and the Kremlin. 

“So I get back home, and it was really fun, because, you know, trouble is fun,” Oliver said, smiling. His wife told him she thought he was “done” with that type of mischief that he first perfected on The Daily Show and he replied, “Yeah, I don’t think I’m done.” 

Jerry Seinfeld and John Oliver Find Trump’s True Calling: ‘A Good Little Stress Ball’

I like that bit glued onto the end that's clearly back at John's office. I don't imagine Seinfeld makes a practice of going around visiting TV studios, so I think that shows he was really being honest about being a LWT fan.

John Oliver might originally be from Birmingham, but since the Last Week Tonight host's parents both come from Liverpool, it shouldn't come as a surprise that his allegiances lie with Liverpool F.C.

Oliver loves his Reds with such a passion that he says he's uncomfortable trying to explain it. Instead, he's using his influence to try and turn U.S. fans onto the team in a video calling for the "Red summer." Liverpool is currently playing in America next week as part of the International Champions Cup, against Chelsea at the Rose Bowl on July 27th, and then against AC Milan at Levi’s Stadium on July 30th, and the video works as sort of a last-second pitch to try and get a few fans to make the trek out to watch.

Watch John Oliver Try to Sell Americans on Favorite Soccer Club

(edited)

As the clock approaches 1 a.m. on the east coast Wednesday night, John Oliver came out swinging during Stephen Colbert’s post-DNC live show. And he didn’t want to talk about Joe Biden or Barack Obama. No, Oliver is “all about Tim Kaine.”

“Where are my Kaineiacs in the audience?” he asked to tepid applause. “If he’s going to be America’s stepdad, that was an exemplary performance. The level of dad jokes and impressions that came out of that man’s soft face. He is a tall glass of lactate.”

“His Donald Trump impression doesn’t just not sound like Donald Trump,” Oliver added. “I don’t think it sounds like anybody.” He said he’s never “wanted to be called ‘scamp’” by anyone as much as he did by Kaine tonight.

“What was interesting to me was that this week from the Democrats,” Colbert said, “they did the thing that you always do in a political convention, that the Republicans forgot to do, which is to say, ‘Great country. It’s going to be greater.’"

“It’s an incredible thing to forget to say for four days,” Oliver said to laughs from the audience. “To get to the end of four days and go, ‘We definitely said we loved America, right? Check the tape. We must have said it. We say it all time. Why would we not have said it?’”

John Oliver Mocks Hillary VP Tim Kaine on ‘Colbert’: He Is ‘America’s Stepdad’

But that bit of news isn’t all that Netflix has in store for us today. They also unveiled the very first look at the new revival series. And it’s as though no time has passed since the show went off the air in 2007. As always, Lorelai and Rory sit in the kitchen we know so well, surrounded by mountains of Pop Tarts, discussing pop culture.

This time, three main quandaries are up for discussion:

1. Would Amy Schumer like Lorelai?
  2. Would John Oliver find Lorelai hot?
  3. Is there such a thing as a plant that only blooms every decade and smells like dead fish?

Gilmore Girls: Watch Lorelai and Rory Debate Amy Schumer, John Oliver and Corpse Flowers in Netflix Revival Trailer

ETA:

Colbert later shifted away from politics and gave Oliver a moment to respond to the new teaser for the Netflix reboot Gilmore Girls, in which Lorelai (Lauren Graham) asks Rory (Alexis Bledel), “Do you think John Oliver would find me hot?”

“Lorelai, the answer is yes, I do find you hot,” Oliver said. “And I’ll tell you why. I’m a red-blooded male with an in-built heat detector and my heat detector registers you as en fuego.”

“Do you know who would sound good saying that?” Colbert asked, before they both said in unison, “Tim Kaine.”

John Oliver Explains His Love for Tim Kaine: ‘He Is America’s Step-Dad’

ETA2:

The Late Show's "Fight Song" feat. John Oliver

ETA3:

Gold Derby has exclusively learned the episode submissions to Emmy Awards voters by all of the 2016 nominees for Best Variety Talk Series. This is only the second year that the variety sketch contenders have been moved away from the talk show candidates. It will also be the first time this century that David Letterman, Jon Stewart, or Stephen Colbert fails to win this category since all three had their previous shows depart last year.

The second season of “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” brings that hot topic program its second bid in this category along with nominations for directing, writing, editing, sound mixing, and technical direction. The show’s episode submission is “Donald Trump” and has the following HBO description: “John Oliver talks about the Egyptian president and economic crisis, the Guantanamo Bay shutdown and Donald Trump, starting a campaign to ‘Make Donald Drumpf Again’.”

Emmy Awards exclusive: Variety Talk episodes for Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, John Oliver, James Corden

Edited by OneWhoLurks

Aziz Ansari, Jon Hamm, Lupita N’yong’o, John Oliver and Seth Rogen are among those set to appear with Billy Eichner in his variety sketch series “Billy on the Street,” in which he hits the streets of New York City to test unsuspecting passersby. In the show’s recently-wrapped fourth season, Eichner was joined by Chris Pratt, Tina Fey, Will Ferrell, Anna Kendrick, Sarah Jessica Parker and Julianne Moore.

Aziz Ansari, Jon Hamm, John Oliver to Guest Star on TruTV’s ‘Billy on the Street’

• Love 1

One of the funniest and most refreshing personalities on television, John Oliver stars in his acclaimed half-hour Emmy®-winning series Last Week Tonight. A satirical look at the week in news, politics and current events, Last Week Tonight provides Oliver with a unique platform to offer up his singular perspective and distinct voice to any number of social, political or existential issues. Episodes of the current season that have aired are now available to own on Digital HD and future episodes will be made available through Google Play.

A Full Season purchase of Last week Tonight with John Oliver: Season 3 includes all current and future episodes of Season 3 – aired February 14, 2016 through November 13, 2016. Future episodes will be automatically delivered to the consumers account as they become available, approximately one week after its initiate air date. The SRP for Digital HD via Google Play is $24.99.

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Season 3 Available Now in Digital HD Through Google Play

Three years ago, you told me that the late-night shows were leaving you with "a sad feeling." Is that still the case?

I'm feeling less sad now. Sometimes actors and actresses make me sad when they come out and tell you how great their show is and what a great time they had working with so-and-so. I just can't hear that anymore. First of all, you're working, so we don't care if you like them or if you're having a good time. And all we care about is the show anyway, so there must be a better question. But the political season has made late-night TV much more uplifting because you get to hear things reflected off of these people. I want to hear Bill Maher and John Oliver react — that has more substance than the general promotional tour that everybody else is on. So it's a good time for late-night comedians. I watch all of them, but I'm a really big fan of John Oliver.

Jerry Seinfeld Reveals the Joke He Wrote for Obama, Plans to Bring 'Comedians in Cars' to TV

ETA:

Zaltzman is clearly, perhaps too, aware of the different trajectories of The Bugle co-host John Oliver’s career and his own. He doesn’t seem genuinely upset by this (he’s got his own successes, having recently become the scorer for BBC Radio 4’s Test Match Special), but when he jokingly refers to Oliver as a sell-out, or celebrates that there are more people who have heard of him than Oliver at his own gig, it becomes hard not to feel Oliver’s absence. Zaltzman is a very funny man on his own, but he can lack a certain grounding, one provided brilliantly by Oliver. The last thing he needs is lasting comparisons to Oliver (and to be honest I’m personally of the opinion that Oliver’s stateside endeavours have suffered more from a lack of Zaltzman than vice versa), but Oliver does embody the thing missing from Zaltzman’s set, someone to call him out on his more obscure similes or indulgent puns.

Edinburgh Fringe 2016 Review: Andy Zaltzman

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

I wonder if Comedy Central tries to lure him away from HBO now that they've canned Larry Wilmore.  What is Oliver's contract status now exactly?

I doubt it. From his perspective it's daily instead of weekly, so he wouldn't be able to do the same kind of show and he knows about the grind. From CC's perspective it brings a lot of attention to how they let the incredible talent Jon Stewart assembled get away, looks desperate and like they have no faith in their in house talent, and if he doesn't reach his targets it would almost inevitably be blamed on them, not him. If they ever do fire Trevor Noah I wouldn't be surprised to see them back up the Brinks truck to his front door, but until then I can't see them going after him, Samantha Bee, etc.

I doubt Oliver wants to leave HBO anytime soon. HBO adores him and his team. They are given a lot of leeway to do what they want. While he is busy, the scheduling seems to work for him. They are able to produce one very good (and many times great) half hour every week. It's a lot less pressure and stress for him and his writers. Maybe in a couple years he'll move away, but I don't see why he would go back to Comedy Central. Money seems to be the only thing that would be the factor that CC has over HBO. Even then, I think HBO will negotiate hard to keep him given how well the show is doing.

• Love 4
On 8/17/2016 at 9:56 AM, Athena said:

I doubt Oliver wants to leave HBO anytime soon. HBO adores him and his team. They are given a lot of leeway to do what they want. While he is busy, the scheduling seems to work for him. They are able to produce one very good (and many times great) half hour every week. It's a lot less pressure and stress for him and his writers. Maybe in a couple years he'll move away, but I don't see why he would go back to Comedy Central. Money seems to be the only thing that would be the factor that CC has over HBO. Even then, I think HBO will negotiate hard to keep him given how well the show is doing.

Does CC have more money than Westeros - uh, I mean HBO?

• Love 1
Just now, dusang said:

Does CC have more money than Westeros - uh, I mean HBO?

Hehe. I think Westeros has more money overall, but CC paid both Stewart and Colbert well. Jon Stewart was the highest paid late night host when he left at about $25-30 million/year (Letterman was about $20 million when he retired; average is $10 million for all hosts). He walked away from that and they still threw money at him. Colbert was paid about $6 million/year at CC and allegedly took a pay cut when he went to the Late Show. He probably has had a bit more now. Oliver made about $2 million last year with HBO.

Both Letterman and Stewart were not only hosts though. They both have production companies. Stewart was instrumental in transforming CC's late night programming. He had influence and created an international brand show for them so it was in their best interest to keep him well compensated.

I could see CC offering Oliver what they paid Colbert, but they probably want 4 nights a week and they are more restrictive than HBO, it's doubtful that will happen.

Sources: Business Insider and Music times.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, trow125 said:

Aw, so nice of John to send Larry Wilmore some bubbly... via Instagram

Didn't you notice? It became a competition between the various show to send him different goodbye gifts (mostly booze).

“What did I miss? What’s going on?” Jon Stewart said, on Larry Wilmore’s final The Nightly Show, after getting caught trying to walk off with the bottle of champagne John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight sent over.

Wilmore told him Comedy Central had canceled the late-night program.

“Did you piss off Peter Thiel? Does revenge know no bounds?” Stewart marveled.

Jon Stewart To Larry Wilmore On Final ‘The Nightly Show’: “What Did You Do, Piss Off Peter Thiel?”

COMEDY Last August, John Oliver became a surprise hero in Washington when he devoted a 17-minute segment on his HBO show, Last Week Tonight, to ripping critics of the DC statehood movement and congressional meddling in city affairs. He’ll surely revisit these points during this eight-performance run at the Kennedy Center—August 24-27—finally letting us laugh at “taxation without representation” instead of cry. $59 – $79, 7 PM

Things to Do in DC this Week (August 22-24): John Oliver, Yoga & Cocktails, and the Science of Harry Potter

John Oliver at Kennedy Center: This is a dream season for a politically minded, foul-mouthed humorist such as Oliver. The comedian already has plenty to poke fun at in the presidential race, but the British comedian can also mine his native country’s Brexit fallout for laughs. All eight of his Kennedy Center shows have sold out; the secondary market has seats going for nearly double the original price. Wednesday through Saturday. 7 and 9:30 p.m. $59-$79.

9 things to do in the D.C. area the week of Aug. 22-26

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 2

BEST LINES FROM JOHN OLIVER’s stand-up performance at the Kennedy Center last night: “What I wanted to do and I failed at was my only childhood dream was to be an athlete. That was it. [Crowd is silent.] F*** you. I just want to put on record how little I appreciate the stunned silence. What? He wanted to be an athlete! Does the word athlete mean the same in England as it does in America? It can’t. It can’t mean the same. It’s impossible! Is chess a registered sport? ...

“My whole childhood, I wanted to be an athlete, specifically a football player. That's my dream. Don’t use laughter as a weapon or I’ll have nothing ... All I wanted to do was play for Liverpool to make my dad proud. This is how much I wanted it. When I was 8 years old, I went to my first game with my dad and I made him let me wear my full Liverpool uniform plus shin guards and cleats, because my rationale was if someone gets hurt and they run out of substitutes, I’m sure they’ll just turn to the crowd does anyone have the equipment necessary to participate? ... And as an eight year old, yes I do!” He performs at the Kennedy Center the next three nights through Saturday -- tickets http://bit.ly/2bPCwcF

The NEW Donald Trump -- Clinton to attack Trump on ‘Alt-Right’ ties -- PREZ debate moderator announcement postponed -- SCOOP: Julie Wood to join Clinton press shop

ETA:

Now she and several of her former Daily Show have graduated to hosting their own shows, like Stephen Colbert and John Oliver.

Bee, 46, says they still keep in close contact: "Our Daily Show bonds are strong. We express our love for each by sending edibles," she says, clarifying, "food edibles. Not other types of edibles. John Oliver sent us popcorn. I think we sent him banana pudding. All the shows have this tradition of sending food. It's really an orgy of food. Who doesn't love a good orgy … of food."

Samantha Bee Thanks Jesus and Donald Trump for Her Show's Success

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 1

“I think John Oliver will win our category,” Kimmel said on The Jess Cagle Interview, a streaming series launching on the new People/Entertainment Weekly Network with the magazines’ editorial director, Jess Cagle. (The network is operated by TIME’s parent company, Time Inc.)

“I think he’s very funny,” Kimmel said of Oliver, “and I think he’s hitting on serious subjects and I think that’s the kind of thing that seems award-worthy.”

But when asked whether he had voted for Oliver’s show, Kimmel didn’t hesitate: “No, I voted for myself,” he replied.

Here’s Who Jimmy Kimmel Thinks Will Beat Him at the Emmys

9 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I would have cried unhappy tears if Cordon won it (unlikely) but absolutely raged if Fallon won it. 

Probably the only other nominee I would have been half okay with is Seinfeld's Internet show, just because there's some differentiation there. 

Next year I hope Fallon gets tossed out of even being nominated. Also, while he's somewhat better than Fallon, Kimmel is a waste of time as a nom too. Seth Meyers, as lame as his early episodes were, deserves to be up there just because of his "A Closer Look" bits, and I fully expect to see Sam Bee up there next year if Hollywood aren't total worthless swine. 

• Love 5

Pressed again for what he will do if Trump wins, Oliver conceded that he can’t actually vote in America, so he’s “not really involved with this,” he said. “I do get to comment because that’s my freedom of speech, so I’m sure I’ll comment at length over the next two months as we dance on the edge of a volcano.”

When asked directly if he feels responsible for Trump’s meteoric political rise since the media has contributed to Trump’s success, Oliver responded, “The short answer to that is, ‘No’, and the long answer is, ‘No, of course I f—ing don’t.’”

Moving on from the topic of Trump, Oliver shared his disappointment with Emmys night, despite his big win. “I thought Beyoncé was going to be here,” he said. “I saw a seating chart and I was supposed to be sitting two [rows] behind her. All I’ve really been thinking about for the past 48 hours is I’m going to be able to look at Beyoncé’s head for four hours, and she hasn’t turned up, so this is nice, but this evening generally has a sense of loss. I was going to just stare at the back of her head and experience happiness in a form that I probably haven’t felt before.”

John Oliver avoids talking Trump, wishes Beyoncé was at Emmys

8 hours ago, Kromm said:

I would have cried unhappy tears if Cordon won it (unlikely) but absolutely raged if Fallon won it. 

Probably the only other nominee I would have been half okay with is Seinfeld's Internet show, just because there's some differentiation there. 

Next year I hope Fallon gets tossed out of even being nominated. Also, while he's somewhat better than Fallon, Kimmel is a waste of time as a nom too. Seth Meyers, as lame as his early episodes were, deserves to be up there just because of his "A Closer Look" bits, and I fully expect to see Sam Bee up there next year if Hollywood aren't total worthless swine. 

I was very happy to see LWT win too as I agree it was the best and one of two acceptable alternatives. This was probably the worst category as far as the quality of the nominations is concerned. I have to wonder how many voted for it because it was unique and an amazing achievement in researching, writing, etc. vs. because it was on HBO, gets great buzz, and has done well monetizing the internet?

• Love 1

When the dust has settled, when the smoke has cleared, when the votes have all been tallied, Stephen Colbert and John Oliver will help make sense of it all.

The respective hosts of The Late Show and Last Week Tonight will share the stage in November for a post-election event benefiting the Montclair Film Festival, organizers announced today.

The event, to be held at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center on Nov. 19, is titled Wow, That Was Weird: A Post-Election Evening With Stephen Colbert and John Oliver. It will feature the two Daily Show alumni discussing the then-concluded presidential race, their comedic influences, and more.

Stephen Colbert, John Oliver hosting post-election benefit event

Comedian John Oliver tore into a Channel Ten entertainment journalist over Australia's immigration policies after she ribbed him about Donald Trump.  

Veteran reporter Angela Bishop confronted Oliver at the Emmy Awards on Monday, reminding him what he told her on the red carpet of last year's event. 

Oliver had boldly declared US voters would not elect Donald Trump as president. 'Do you remember last year?' Ms Bishop asked cheekily.

'Why don't you check on your own country's immigration policies?' Moment comedian John Oliver rips into Ten's Angela Bishop after she taunted him over Donald Trump's success

ETA:

John Oliver Emmys 2016 Full Backstage Interview

Edited by OneWhoLurks
8 hours ago, OneWhoLurks said:

Veteran reporter Angela Bishop confronted Oliver at the Emmy Awards on Monday

Oh, FFS. She's Australian (so am I) - I'm so ashamed of her AND of our immigration policies.

Edited by purist

John handled it well enough to diffuse the situation, IMO.  Channel 10 Australia has been the target of an attempted takeover by one of Rupert Murdoch's subsidiaries.  The Australian government blocks cross-media ownership, but Foxtel agreed to buy a 15% share in the company last year.

Jimmy Kimmel Doubts John Oliver's Sincerity After Emmy Win

John Oliver Talks About Winning an Emmy

John Oliver Failed in England

At another point in the show, two more guests joined the prospective Fresh Garlic and Basil Spice: John Oliver of HBO and American Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.

Bell and the two men competed at 'Foot Flickers,' in which they kicked plush balls at a large adhesive target. Swapping out her stilettos for white trainers, the Frozen actress managed to get one ball to the target after a couple of failed attempts.

Yet it was Oliver who won the prize - a toaster oven - having struck a spot nearly at the bullseye on his first go .

The new Spice Girls! Kristen Bell and Ellen DeGeneres dress up as Garlic and Basil in hysterical parody audition tape

Edited by OneWhoLurks

After watching the footy video, I had to look up to see if John Oliver was ever on A League of Their Own, where they do that all the time.  Apparently, he wasn't, but he's been on the Mock The Week 7 times.  I'm surprised he was never on QI either.  I guess he really wasn't popular  in the UK.  This one is about global warming:

Edited by atomationage