Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

I don't think it's a competition, nor that there is a specific number of awards given. Also, I'm pretty sure the Peabody people write little blurbs for each awardee saying why they won the honor.

• Love 2

Interesting video. I wonder what other types of sausages were being served to Samantha? Kosher (Jon)? Spicy (Kimmel)? Indelibly rancid (Bill Maher)?

And I also can't help but wonder if they shot a second version of that with Samantha saying "I have a sudden interest in clams!" but decided not to put it out there because it looked too risqué.

Kimmel spicy?  Really?

I dunno what Kimmel is, but its not Spicy!  Maybe he's just kind of a HOT DOG.  That kind of fits.

The closest I could come to "Spicy Sausage" in Late Night TV is maybe... Andy Cohen?  And even there I'm dubious.

John Oliver will appear on "The Soup" on E! tonight:

John joins host Joel McHale in highlighting the best of the worst in the week's pop culture moments.

"The Soup" airs live every Friday at 10pm on E!

• Love 1

John Oliver will appear on "The Soup" on E! tonight:

No way! Jeff Winger and Professor Duncan shippers unite! Okay, maybe not. 'Still stinks Ollie-Scone is successful and busy that he can't reprise his "Community" role (at least for the movie...) T_T 

I totally thought of John Oliver when I found out about the FIFA stuff. That being said... a part of me is just dying of laughter over the whole thing. FIFA did want the USA to be more interested in what they were selling (and buying and bribing) to the world.

FIFA did want the USA to be more interested in what they were selling (and buying and bribing) to the world.

No doubt FIFA's mistake was not lobbying (aka contributing to re-election funds/pacs for) the right politicians

• Love 1

As I think has maybe been mentioned in one of the episode threads (where someone linked to this I believe), this situation with the war of videos between Oliver and Jack Warner gets funnier and funnier. 

Washington Post: Composer says Jack Warner stole his music for video directed at John Oliver

Heh.  Add to that the fact that the composer of the over-dramatic music Warner stole is an L.A. Galaxy fan.  In other words, not a fan of FIFA.

The Bugle podcast will now be a monthly show, according to the Twitter feed. I was sure the end was near so I guess one Bugle a month is better than nothing. (There will also be occasional Satirist for Hire episodes and other sub-Bugles.) Still hoping Zaltzman will cross the pond and show up on LWT one of these days.

The Bugle podcast will now be a monthly show, according to the Twitter feed. I was sure the end was near so I guess one Bugle a month is better than nothing. (There will also be occasional Satirist for Hire episodes and other sub-Bugles.) Still hoping Zaltzman will cross the pond and show up on LWT one of these days.

Thanks for the update.  I'm sad but still happy that it's not over.

• Love 1

Hmmm. While they may give the Emmy to The Colbert Report or Daily Show as a going away present, I suspect Jon may want to find some shelf space for a shiny new golden friend.

Hmmm. While they may give the Emmy to The Colbert Report or Daily Show as a going away present, I suspect Jon may want to find some shelf space for a shiny new golden friend.

Or "John" (Jon's the OTHER guy!!!)

Letterman was also nominated so if they are giving goodbye Emmy's which they often do, I imagine he will beat out Stephen and Jon in that regard.

Right. He's the one most likely to never return.  Colbert is already back, albeit in a form some people are scared they won't like, and Stewart at worst will probably take the Jerry Seinfeld approach to retirement, where he does standup when he feels like it, commercials for a cash infusion, and web series as a pet project. Stewart certainly isn't as rich as Seinfeld, but I bet he can afford at this point to only do what he wants to do.  But that's not the same thing as being gone from showbiz.  He probably isn't.

Letterman/The Late Show's Emmy wins have been very scarce for years, so that's going to be factored in too.  Hollywood overall still kind of hates Letterman and his combination of Midwestern and New York sensibilities, but enough of them probably know how it looks that this was his last year in showbiz (probably) to push the award his way.

Oliver is the likely awards heir NEXT year--unless Stewart qualifies next year (for this year's shows I mean) and then he'll take that for sure.

What is Outstanding Interactive Program?

Per the Emmy eligibility rules on the Emmy web site (search for Category 38)

"Awarded for creative excellence in the interactive media components of a program or series, including programming and features that provide access to additional information, extend plots or characters into the interactive realm, create cross-platform environments, or contain elements facilitating individual or community participation and interaction."

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/pte14_rulesandproced_v7.pdf

Things like social media interaction or applications (like the AMC Story Sync app) or aftershows (like Talking Dead) that enhances the TV show.

Last year's winner was 'The Tonight Show' Digital experience

http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners/2014/outstanding-interactive-program

2013 winner was 'Night of Too Many Stars'

http://www.emmys.com/awards/nominees-winners/2013/outstanding-interactive-program

• Love 2

This story was linked on CNN's home page (but leads to Telelatino, a Canadian network) about Ottawa being the infidelity capital of the world: "Millions of cheaters to be exposed?" The opening blurb would seem to suggest that Last Week Tonight's piece about Ashley Madison has some sort of relevance to the reporting of the hacking situation, although it is maybe only name dropping to get attention. I have the utmost respect for LWT and TDS, etc for bringing these things to our awareness, but it worries me that reporters are considering a comedy show a legit news source. It's really sad (but not new) that entertainment media and news media have crossovers. It always bothered me that people Jon Stewart skewered took him seriously enough to rebutt his statements, much like Jack Warner did to JO. If you are a professional news person reporting facts like you are supposed to, LWT and TDS have no business making an appearance in your factual news piece. If it is accurate news, you will never have to defend yourself to a comedian or mention their opinion in your story.

Sundays: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Mondays-Thursdays: Last Week Tonight: Other Continents' United States of America with John Oliver

Am I the only one daydreaming about a schedule like this?  Just assign each day to a different part of the globe, hire about 100 extra people, and have John give up time consuming activities like sleeping and eating.  Should be doable.

• Love 1

I wonder if the "puppy" Oliver was talking about is his dog Hoagie? Judging from the reviews, it seems like a lot of the material Oliver did in Australia was on the older side (I think the stories about why he didn't become a professional athlete were featured on his DVD), so maybe the dog stuff was as well.

I didn't think he'd win Outstanding Talk Show, with so many notable farewells in that category, but I think if he keeps the quality up, he has a very good shot at a win in the near future (partly because of all those farewells!). In any event it was great to see him at the Emmys and I loved the Alex Trebek joke.

I didn't think he'd win Outstanding Talk Show, with so many notable farewells in that category, but I think if he keeps the quality up, he has a very good shot at a win in the near future (partly because of all those farewells!). In any event it was great to see him at the Emmys and I loved the Alex Trebek joke.

Oddly, the only part of the Emmys I saw was the Variety section but I missed the Alex Trebek joke -- what was that?

One of Australia's entertainment reporters interviewed John on the Emmys red carpet about our latest political coup (in which Prime Minister Tony Abbott was chucked out of the top job by his own party), and it's pretty funny. This video of the interview pretty much went viral in Oz yesterday.

One of Australia's entertainment reporters interviewed John on the Emmys red carpet about our latest political coup (in which Prime Minister Tony Abbott was chucked out of the top job by his own party), and it's pretty funny. This video of the interview pretty much went viral in Oz yesterday.

It sure took them long enough. I mean the one big benefit of a system led by a PM over a President is that you can kick out the bozos a lot quicker. And Abbott has been a George Dubya/Margaret Thatcher Sized Bozo.  No worse. Imagine if Dan Quayle had ever become President.

Trump as Prez would be worse, admittedly.  But not much. Abbott is something Australia won't live down for decades.

I certainly hope Ollie brings up the coup in Australia on Sunday's show, especially given he was just down there recently when the shit was about to hit the fan.

The thing is, it all happened really suddenly. We heard about the leadership spill - with no warning - at about 4pm last Monday afternoon (14 September), and by 10pm that night we had a new prime minister. It was quite stunning.

Yeah, but there's SO much going on this week in US politics, he may not have time on this show for Australia, as much as he'd like to.  Remember, he doesn't do a news roundup--he only chooses one or two topics per episode.

EDIT - And actually the news out of the UK this week is even "bigger" in it's way than the Abbott news. I mean how many PMs get accused of having fucked a dead severed pig head?  I WISH I was making that up. 

Maybe Oliver could do a "Week in Wacky Prime Ministers" roundup and cover both of them at once.  Or what did he call the previous Abbott segment?  Something like "Other Presidents of the United States that Aren't the United States"?

Of course the UK press in the past day or two is all over this like crazy. And the comedians too....

Edited by Kromm
Oliver appears much smaller in person—average human-size, really—than you’d expect. In person, he comes across harmless in his checkered shirts and crooked smile. He likes to dance between takes, has to stifle his laughter like the rest of us as news clips play on screen during the show, and more than once used the word “awkward” to describe himself that evening. But as soon as he sits down behind that desk, the guy becomes, first and foremost, the human embodiment of his show: smart, confident and hilarious, a comedic and cultural force to be reckoned with. As the opening theme song runs its course, you can see the pieces fall into place, his persona created. It is, for lack of better word, pretty freaking awesome.

http://stanfordartsreview.com/last-week-tonight/

ETA:

"If oral arguments were televised, Alito said "the arguments would degenerate into a forum for soundbites.

His compromise? Go to youtube.com and watch a John Oliver segment called Supreme Court dogs, where nine dogs ask penetrating questions, lip synching the court audio. "I got the best dog," Alito boasted.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/24/4054748/justice-alito-steers-clear-of.html

ETA2:

Fortune's annual list of the 40 most influential people under age 40 is now live, and it's the first time all the names are new. People like Uber's first hire, Ryan Graves, actress and business tycoon Jessica Alba, and comedian John Oliver landed on the list by showing boundless enthusiasm while tackling changing dynamics - and sometimes causing them - within their industries.

http://fortune.com/40-under-40/

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 1

Speaking last week at Ohio State University, Justice Elena Kagan said she wasn't sure why Oliver chose a bull terrier to portray her. But she said the entire court agrees that Alito's is the top dog.

"I think we all wanted to be Justice Alito's dog," Kagan said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-supreme-court-20151006-story.html

And, referencing a popular John Oliver segment on net neutrality from June of last year, Pepler said that HBO will never get in the way of “artistic voices with integrity” even when that artistic voice contradicts the interest of the corporation. Oliver’s long-form stories, Plepler later pointed out, nets HBO between 8 and 9 million views on YouTube every week.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/10/nwa-jimmy-iovine-hbo

Edited by OneWhoLurks
The Longest Oop: British comedian and host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" John Oliver filmed a 15-second spot for the Pistons recently promoting the club's latest social media campaign, #TheLongestOop. You can watch the video below, and it's one of a series with different personalities and locations. Oliver has been spotted courtside for Pistons games at The Palace of Auburn Hills in the past.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2015/10/detroit_pistons_notes_svg_uses_1.html

And in case anyone wonders, as I did, why the heck John Oliver would be attending Pistons games in Michigan... this Wikipedia entry explains it.

Dennis M. Mannion is the President/CEO of Palace Sports and Entertainment for all Business Operations of the Detroit Pistons, The Palace of Auburn Hills, DTE Energy Music Theatre, and the Meadowbrook Music Festival on the Oakland University campus.

Mannion and wife Pam are the parents of five children. He is the stepfather of Kate Norley, a former United States Army combat medic and the wife of comedian John Oliver.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, my first thought had been that Norley might be from Detroit, but a little checking showed that wasn't the case. Clearly though her mom and Stepfather moved there because of his job.

Edited by Kromm

What you may or may not have noticed, however, is that each week Oliver and his team switch up the very last graphic to something topical that the host doesn’t necessarily touch upon in that particular episode. They range in relevancy and occasionally steer away from politics or pop culture in favor of holidays, but one thing is for certain: they are all hilariously witty and undeniably fun. The only problem is that they flash then disappear too quickly before cutting to Oliver in the studio; most of the time we have to hit pause then replay just to appreciate them (and that’s when we’re not feeling lazy on a late Sunday eve).

Being the Oliver obsessives that we are, we compiled all of those graphics for you in one spot, clued you in on their context, and — just because we love that witty Brit’s series so gosh darn much — we’ll be adding on new ones from future episodes every week. You’re welcomus.

http://decider.com/2015/10/19/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-intro-graphics/

• Love 4