Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

And late last month, President Trump signed a presidential memorandum making it considerably harder to seek asylum in the U.S., including the introduction of an asylum application fee.

“I think you get a pretty clear sense of what the intent of the administration is, which is that they would like no more immigrants coming here; and seeing as they can’t have that practically, they would like as few as physically possible,” explains Oliver. “Seeing how the child-separation issue was handled last year, they’re not shackled by conscience on this issue. So there is no reason to believe they’re going to do the right thing unless they’re forced to.”

“You can speculate there are either cynical reasons or morally-abhorrent reasons for them to do it. I don’t know. I’m not in their head, thankfully—it must be an awful place to be. But I think they’re making their intentions clear by their actions. You can pretty fairly extrapolate that they want as few immigrants and as few refugees as possible in this country,” he adds.

John Oliver on His Immigration Battle Against Trump: ‘Their Actions Have Been Heinous’

• Love 2

Great pic of Ollie and his wife, Kate, on the red carpet at the 17th Annual Sesame Workshop Benefit Gala yesterday. (Click on the 'Info' tab at bottom right to see made-up dialogue by Fug Girl Heather.)

• Love 6

Nine Emmy nominations this year!

Outstanding Variety Talk Series

Outstanding Writing For A Variety Series

Outstanding Interactive Program

Outstanding Production Design For A Variety, Reality Or Competition Series (for the 'Authoritarianism' episode)

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Variety Series Or Special (for the 'Authoritarianism' episode)

Outstanding Directing For A Variety Series (for the 'Psychics' episode)

Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control For A Series (for the 'Psychics' episode)

Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming (for 'The Wax & The Furious' segment)

Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming (for 'The Journey Of ChiiJohn' segment)

• Love 7
(edited)

Noah is actually an Emmy winner already. He took home Best Short Form Variety Series in 2017 for “Between the Scenes.” But then his show earned a bid for Best Variety Talk Series in 2018, the first for “The Daily Show” since Noah took over for Jon Stewart in 2015. He lost to “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” but that was okay too. “Afterwards someone came and they were like, ‘Hey, man, you must be bummed that you lost.’ And I was like, ‘What? My man, I’m at the Emmys! I lost to John Oliver. Have you watched John Oliver’s show? I love John Oliver,'” Noah said.

Oliver was “part of the reason I said yes to this job,” Noah added. “Before him, I was like, you can’t do American TV with an accent! That guy is one of my idols, he’s phenomenal.” Oliver has won Best Variety Talk Series for the last three years in a row (2016-2018), but when thinking about losing to him again, Noah is reminded of someone he met who was disappointed that he won a bronze medal at the Olympics and was getting dragged online for it. “If I came third in the Olympics at anything,” Noah explained, “there’s only two people in the world who can talk shit to me.”

Trevor Noah revels in latest ‘Daily Show’ Emmy nominations and explains why he was happy to lose to John Oliver [WATCH]

ETA:

After Robert Weaver of El Cajon, California finished reading Oliver’s A Day in the Life Of Marlon Bundo, he took to Twitter to demand that actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson‘s non-profit bow tie company make its own version of the colorful bow tie the rabbit wears in the story.

“I will buy one for all of the members of the Senate that support equal rights and beg them to wear them on the same day!” he tweeted.

The proceeds from the Marlon Bundo bow tie go toward the Trevor Project and AIDS United.

To get the bow tie yourself, Tie the Knot partners with The Tie Bar, a men’s accessories store with locations across the country. The DC Tie Bar location is in Logan Circle, and the Bundo bow ties have landed on the shelves, but get there quickly —Fergus and Mikita expect them to sell out. (When the bow tie was first released online three days ago, it sold out in 36 minutes.)

You Can Now Buy a John Oliver-Designed “Marlon Bundo” Bow Tie in DC

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 7

The sustained crowd welcome John got on Colbert's show was heartwarming, and a little surprising. I didn't think he was that beloved, but I imagine Colbert's audience have quite the overlap with Last Week Tonight.

John is always entertaining, but I wish he didn't fall into the same pit that everyone else seems to, and act like Beyonce is some transcendent, superior being who any normal human should be honoured just to share the planet with. You can do that with tongue firmly in cheek John, but don't do it as straight as this.

• Love 4

Last Week Tonight took home a couple of Creative Arts Emmy Awards tonight

-- Outstanding Picture Editing for Variety Programming (for 'The Wax & The Furious' segment)
-- Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video Control for a Series (Psychics episode)

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, Popples said:

John talks about SantaCon

Hilarious bit! Would love to know if anyone can confirm or deny what he says about Duane Reade's Aisle 4 ... 😄

Edited by purist
  • LOL 4

"Last Week Tonight" up for a Critics' Choice Award!

https://tvline.com/2019/12/08/critics-choice-awards-nominations-2020-full-list-tv-nominees/

Best Talk Show
Desus & Mero (Showtime)
Full Frontal With Samantha Bee (TBS)
The Kelly Clarkson Show (NBC)
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (HBO)
The Late Late Show With James Corden (CBS)
Late Night With Seth Meyers (NBC)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2

I'd pick Colbert over Corden seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Speaking of, Saoirse Ronan asked Stephen who his 10-year-old son was excited to meet at an awards show, and Stephen said, “John Oliver.” She said, “So is he a mini-you?” It was so cute! (Starting ~2:48)

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ahisma said:

I'd pick Colbert over Corden seven days a week and twice on Sundays.

Speaking of, Saoirse Ronan asked Stephen who his 10-year-old son was excited to meet at an awards show, and Stephen said, “John Oliver.” She said, “So is he a mini-you?” It was so cute! (Starting ~2:48)

Ditto! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Popples said:

The article is from January 29, but on December 13, 2019, John Oliver became a U.S. citizen!

That's a really interesting article.  Lots of nice to know background on the show.  And of course it's great that John no longer has to worry about something he says getting him deported!

I know John jokingly likes to point out the resemblance between him and Mnuchin, but damn if that picture of him sitting behind the white tablecloth didn't make me think of Christian Siriano.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

That's a really interesting article.  Lots of nice to know background on the show. 

Agreed. It's fascinating to see just how much time and hard work goes into producing this show-it certainly shows in the final results. I especially admire that Oliver burns the midnight oil as much, if not more, than his staff, that he doesn't just leave them to do all the work while he hosts the show. 

When he appeared at the federal building in lower Manhattan with his lawyer and his wife, Kate Norley (a former combat medic), for the naturalization ceremony, he was so nervous he blanked on his phone number.

LOL, awwww. 

Nice article. I love his reasons for becoming a citizen, especially at such a crazy time as this. Very well put. And I sympathize with his feelings of despair over all the bad stuff that seems to float around in the news, and the difficulty in talking about some of it as he does. But the show is still very much a welcome bit of lightness each week, and I like that they continue to discuss topics that don't get as much attention as they should. 

Love the pictures throughout this article, too :). Congrats to John on becoming a citizen (he did so on my mom's birthday :D)! Here's hoping there will be some positive stuff for him to cover this year amidst all the other craziness. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Love the pictures throughout this article, too

The photos are fabulous. That red suit looks great on Ollie and makes me wish he would take a few more risks sartorially when he walks red carpets.

I really love this quote:

"I would like this presidency to end because it's not good for America, for my personal health or for comedy in general. It's hard to find different ways to attack the same kind of despair," Oliver says.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, purist said:

The photos are fabulous. That red suit looks great on Ollie and makes me wish he would take a few more risks sartorially when he walks red carpets.

Right? It's a good color on him.

(Plus, it's my favorite color, so there's that, too :D.) 

I wholeheartedly agree with that quote. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Here's hoping there will be some positive stuff for him to cover this year amidst all the other craziness. 

What do we think the season premiere topic will be? Because between the impeachment, Brexterfuck, the coronavirus, the primaries, and all the different aspects of the Australian bushfires (the environment! Climate crisis! Koala genocide! Coal! Murdoch! Disaster tourism! First Nations! The Prime Minister's incompetence!), there is a LOT of options.

• Love 3

According to Deadline, the show will tape without an audience on Sunday.

The coronavirus has impacted late-night shows taped in New York City and Los Angeles. Due to concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak, CBS’ The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, NBC’s The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Meyers, and Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Trevor Noah will all tape without a live, in-studio audience beginning Monday, March 16. TBS’ Full Frontal with Samantha Bee taped Wednesday night’s episode without a studio audience. HBO’s Last Week Tonight With John Oliver and Bravo’s Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen will begin taping without an audience on Sunday, March 15. The decision was made jointly among the late-night shows.

• Love 1

I have Facebook. When I look at a video, there are others queued up under it. While watching a video, I saw a headline along these lines: “John Oliver Goes After [Female Name], She Destroys Him.” The source? OAN.

I didn’t click that. I just wanted to share because there’s a tiny chance John might respond to that. If he’s not on another quixotic quest to make the world a better place through the oddest ways possible, he might clap back at her.

ETA: It popped up again: “COMEDIAN IOHN OLIVER ATTACKS LIZ WHEELER. SHE DESTROYS HIM.” If you guys say so. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1