Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E02 Brianne's Story

• Start Topic

On 1/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, fonfereksglen said:

ACON is an interesting phrase.  However, all reasonably healthy children of a narcissistic parent, even the isolated golden child, finally realize that nothing they do will ever be good enough for that parent.  When they figure that out, there is some peace and often they wonder why the other parent was so weak or even worse, enabled the relentless abuse.  Something you touched on.  And then there is often alienation from both parents.  One reason why some elderly parents rarely see their senior citizen aged children. Enough is enough with that cycle.

This is why I hesitate to immediately bombast the absentee children of nursing home residents. Who knows what kind of abuse this seemingly innocent senior citizen might have inflicted upon her/his children? Surely some of the absentee children are just jerks who don't care, but I really think that the majority of absentee children were abused and don't want to put up with the bullshit anymore. I feel that way about my biological father; he was a horror to grow up with and my childhood was far worse than most of the ones depicted on this show. I would not piss on him if he were on fire, and I do not have a single fuck to give about how he dies, where he dies, or anything else to do with him. But he can be charming, and I'm sure that there will be people clucking over his horrible child not visiting this sweet old man. GAG.

Brianne seemed really childish and self-absorbed to me. I couldn't bring myself to like her like most here did. When her husband was in ICU due to chest pain, she was basically like, "Bummer. So I weighed in today!" ...Okay. If I'd been in her shoes, I would have been much more alarmed and would have been asking him how he was feeling, what the doctors had said, what treatments had been tried & would be tried, etc. Perhaps this isn't his first time in ICU, but even so, her reaction was still akin to a 12 year old girl bursting with excitement over a sleepover or something. And she definitely has daddy issues; her marriage didn't strike me as true love, rather as two pathologies finding a way to feed one another (pun not intended). I don't think she will keep the weight off; she seemed far happier around food than she ever did around her family. There was something curiously empty and desperate about Brianne, as though she were constantly striving to keep some kind of emotional pain at bay and any kind of distraction would suffice. "Any port in a storm" comes to mind. I really think she doesn't love her family for who they are, but rather for how they alleviate her emotional pain. And that is not true love.

Edited by Ralphster
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, Otter said:

I liked Brianne and really loved her relationship with her step daughter,  Her husband seemed to love her but apparently that changes.  If this is true, what a betrayal by a friend.   As has been happening for 1,000's of years.  

https://starcasm.net/exclusive-my-600-lb-life-brianne-dias-husband-rick/

LOL! I posted my scathing opinion of their relationship before reading the whole thread. Well, so much for their being in love and whatnot.

Edited by Ralphster
  • Love 1

Every time Brianne wanted food but was alone, she got up just fine and made the harrowing trek to the fridge with fearless vigor. She retrieved that cheesecake swirley thing, no problem. But if daughter was home as well, it became, "Could you warm this up for me? Could you make that for me? Could you fetch this for me?" You lazy bitch. Do it yourself instead of making your daughter your constant beck-and-call girl. She has a job and yet you have her up every five minutes fetching food.

And on the flight from PDX to Houston, she and Rick made the whole goddamned planeful of people wait while Rick went to make sure the wheelchair was available, and then while Brianne heaved herself out of her seat and lumbered slowly up the gangplank. She should have waited to get off the plane as a courtesy to the other passengers, especially given that inevitably somebody on a flight needs to make a tight connection.

Verdict: Brianne is a selfish, lazy asshole. She didn't love her family, she craved love from others. She's a black hole of neediness and toddler-like self-obsession.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Spoilers are okay on the individual thread, right. I know update is coming on her tonight.  Just saw this article.  Not sure how long ago this happened.

https://people.com/health/woman-lost-nearly-400-lbs-develops-multiple-blood-clots/

Individual episode threads act as character threads so outside media, etc., is allowed.  We don't allow it during live chat because it destroys the fun (and has messed up the "guess the poundticipant's weight" game).  Think of the poor person who was denied their prize because someone posted a spoiler.  No mountains of fried chicken.  No plastic tubs to both bathe a toilet in.  No extra pretty sheets for sexy times.  Oh, the humanity!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1