Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Lord High Executioner

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Mom2twoNonna2one said:

On the podcast his sister said the Dad was in fact like that. He taught John to be a conman and to not respect women.

It looked like Ronnie worked for some type of spa or plastic surgeon. He was doing it to Ronnie. Terra was the young girl who wanted mommy to stay home from work and rub her head (I just can't with these kids and their entitlement).

Omg, that KILLED me.   I cannot even imagine my mother's face if I showed up at her house, in my early twenties, and demanded she take a day off work to scratch my scalp and watch TV because I broke up with my boyfriend.  That was never mentioned in the podcast so I don't know if it actually happened or not but DAMN. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I think IRL Tonia was the one who turned him in.

I just went back and read the LA Times article that went with the episode of the podcast that covered this.  It sounds like Tonia turned him in to the police.  In investigating the police talked to coworkers at the hospital and got a lot more info.  But all of this was in Ohio and he was arrested in Michigan.  I won't go into more detail on what happened to cause the arrest and prison stint in case it gets covered later on in the show, but the podcast episode is the on called "Filthy".  

5 hours ago, lezlers said:

Omg, that KILLED me.   I cannot even imagine my mother's face if I showed up at her house, in my early twenties, and demanded she take a day off work to scratch my scalp and watch TV because I broke up with my boyfriend.  That was never mentioned in the podcast so I don't know if it actually happened or not but DAMN. 

According to the podcast Debra actually went to NV to comfort Terra, so it sounds like the show isn't sticking strictly to fact on the details surrounding Terra's break-up.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I just went back and read the LA Times article that went with the episode of the podcast that covered this.  It sounds like Tonia turned him in to the police.  In investigating the police talked to coworkers at the hospital and got a lot more info.  But all of this was in Ohio and he was arrested in Michigan.  I won't go into more detail on what happened to cause the arrest and prison stint in case it gets covered later on in the show, but the podcast episode is the on called "Filthy".  

According to the podcast Debra actually went to NV to comfort Terra, so it sounds like the show isn't sticking strictly to fact on the details surrounding Terra's break-up.

So the entire scene between Debra and Terra on the couch is a dramatization? Because obviously Debra wasn’t going to work that day if she was in Nevada.  ( The scene  showed Terra asking Debra  to ‘work from home’ because basically Terra ‘needed her Mommy’. ) Therefore, the only purpose for that scene in this mini-series  was to embarrass Terra.   They could have gone straight from the phone call to Terra looking at apartments. 

It’s things like this that made me call this show more of a ‘drama’ than anything else. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

So the entire scene between Debra and Terra on the couch is a dramatization? Because obviously Debra wasn’t going to work that day if she was in Nevada.  ( The scene  showed Terra asking Debra  to ‘work from home’ because basically Terra ‘needed her Mommy’. ) Therefore, the only purpose for that scene in this mini-series  was to embarrass Terra.   They could have gone straight from the phone call to Terra looking at apartments. 

It’s things like this that made me call this show more of a ‘drama’ than anything else. 

Spoiler

I thought Debra also owned a store in Nevada & read that she moved there after the attack.  Maybe she did have an apartment there before the attack where both her & Terra were staying.  Debra could have rented a room for John nearby. Maybe it was just easier to show them living in the Newport Beach area (penthouse) rather than explain Debra living in Nevada. I hope this makes sense.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

In my opinion from listening to the podcast, it may have been a dramatization, but it was still very much in character for Terra.  It may have just been an easier way to show her personality that took less time and explanation.  I think if you haven't actually listened to the podcast, read the LA Times articles, or watched the Dateline, etc. it isn't really fair to judge how true to life the show is.

1 hour ago, Barb23 said:
  Hide contents

I thought Debra also owned a store in Nevada & read that she moved there after the attack.  Maybe she did have an apartment there before the attack where both her & Terra were staying.  Debra could have rented a room for John nearby. Maybe it was just easier to show them living in the Newport Beach area (penthouse) rather than explain Debra living in Nevada. I hope this makes sense.  

Spoiler

I know she bought a home in Henderson for John to live in to keep him away for her family.  I can't remember if she had a business out there or not and don't feel like going back to look today.  I believe Terra was living in the Las Vegas area with her boyfriend.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Here's what it says in the LAT article about her consoling Terra after the break-up.  (spoilering just in case)

Spoiler

John’s hatred for Debra’s family did not seem to extend to Terra, Debra’s youngest and quietest daughter, even though she had clashed with him. He found her the least troublesome of his stepdaughters.

So he didn’t object when Debra drove out to Vegas to console Terra when she broke up with her boyfriend that summer. In the breakup, Terra got Cash, their miniature Australian shepherd.

Terra moved back to California and started applying for jobs. She found one as a kennel attendant and dog groomer. She loved the company of animals.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

It probably went to show how Terra figured out Debra was back with John.  She had to stay with her and notice her gone in the middle of the night.

• Love 5

John's father was a piece of work, making his kid eat glass. That's not an excuse for any of his later behavior, but still. Of course, then we saw what a lazy brat whose shitty behavior was rewarded by his terrible dad. His poor sister. It's sad that the price for being kind and supportive to people like John is getting screwed over because he is a lazy entitled asshole who thinks the world owes him.

Getting "clean" was just another way for John to manipulate Debra (I thought he was either faking it or just doing it temporarily to get her back so the end did not surprise me at all). He got sympathy, he got her undivided attention, he got her to say that she was proud of him, he made her feel needed.

I did not feel sorry for Debra AT ALL when Veronica and Trey fought with her at brunch. She has been lying to her family and keeping secrets from her family since she met John, but she somehow sees herself as the innocent victim in all this. And then she had the nerve to tell John that she didn't know how to fix things. Uh, it's pretty obvious. Dump your loser husband and quit lying to your kids. But John was manipulative enough to know that all he had to do was bring up that option so that she would say she didn't want that.

I love that the show continues to depict Veronica and Terra as immature/selfish but still so much smarter about John than Debra is. They might be spoiled brats but they're still shrewder than Debra (although Terra to a lesser degree in this episode). Poor Veronica. When her boss told her about the phone calls and one star reviews, the look on her face said it all. She knew who it was but she also knew that she couldn't prove it and that her mom wouldn't believe her anyway.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, lucindabelle said:

On the one hand, I applaud Trey.

On the other, he sent her back to the narcissist abuser. Unsure how to feel about that.

Trey didn't send her back to an abuser. He simply demarcated a clear boundary for himself and his family. Debra is the one who chose to go to back to John - and she'd already chosen to go back to him before that when she went back to the hospital, so Trey's decision did not send her back to an abuser.

Yes, you should try to help people when you can, but it was not Trey's responsibility to physically drag his mother away from John and strap her down to a chair until John decided to move on to someone else. And as we saw from Veronica helping Debra move out when John was in the hospital, you can bend over backwards tot help someone get out of a shitty relationship but once they decide to go back to said shitty relationship, there's really nothing you can do about it. Debra is an adult making her own choices and no matter how important she claims her family is to her, she repeatedly chooses John over her family.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 21
On 12/25/2018 at 4:24 PM, blackdahlia said:

John was in real withdrawal. As an opiate addict for for  25 years, I don't know why he didn't go on methadone. I have been on methadone for almost 18 years.  Also how is he getting pharmaceutical opioids if he doesn't work in a hospital anymore? It would be a lot easier and cheaper to buy heroin. Most opiate addicts start with pharmaceuticals and when they get cut off by drs move to heroin. I am surprised he didn't clean up the blood from shooting up between his toes.

Also who exactly was Trey? He called Debra "Mom". I thought she just had the two daughters and no sons and neither daughter was married. I know Toby is her nephew, the son of her murdered sister but I can't figure out who Trey is.

Maybe he gets hospital grade opioids from an entrepreneurial yet very unethical and criminal healthcare provider (MD, DO, RN, NP, PA, RPh) who is diverting meds.  They themselves aren't doing drugs but only selling them for the money.  I wonder if it ever came out where he was getting them.      

• Love 2
On 12/28/2018 at 6:05 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

John's father was a piece of work, making his kid eat glass. That's not an excuse for any of his later behavior, but still. Of course, then we saw what a lazy brat whose shitty behavior was rewarded by his terrible dad. His poor sister. It's sad that the price for being kind and supportive to people like John is getting screwed over because he is a lazy entitled asshole who thinks the world owes him.

Getting "clean" was just another way for John to manipulate Debra (I thought he was either faking it or just doing it temporarily to get her back so the end did not surprise me at all). He got sympathy, he got her undivided attention, he got her to say that she was proud of him, he made her feel needed.

I did not feel sorry for Debra AT ALL when Veronica and Trey fought with her at brunch. She has been lying to her family and keeping secrets from her family since she met John, but she somehow sees herself as the innocent victim in all this. And then she had the nerve to tell John that she didn't know how to fix things. Uh, it's pretty obvious. Dump your loser husband and quit lying to your kids. But John was manipulative enough to know that all he had to do was bring up that option so that she would say she didn't want that.

I love that the show continues to depict Veronica and Terra as immature/selfish but still so much smarter about John than Debra is. They might be spoiled brats but they're still shrewder than Debra (although Terra to a lesser degree in this episode). Poor Veronica. When her boss told her about the phone calls and one star reviews, the look on her face said it all. She knew who it was but she also knew that she couldn't prove it and that her mom wouldn't believe her anyway.

Trey didn't send her back to an abuser. He simply demarcated a clear boundary for himself and his family. Debra is the one who chose to go to back to John - and she'd already chosen to go back to him before that when she went back to the hospital, so Trey's decision did not send her back to an abuser.

Yes, you should try to help people when you can, but it was not Trey's responsibility to physically drag his mother away from John and strap her down to a chair until John decided to move on to someone else. And as we saw from Veronica helping Debra move out when John was in the hospital, you can bend over backwards tot help someone get out of a shitty relationship but once they decide to go back to said shitty relationship, there's really nothing you can do about it. Debra is an adult making her own choices and no matter how important she claims her family is to her, she repeatedly chooses John over her family.

THIS.  Trey's #1 job in life is to protect his family and nothing less.  Debra is a grown woman on her 5th husband who has shown that she has poor judgement, lacks insight and chooses men over her family.  You can't have 5 husbands and still cling to family being the most important thing in your life.  She has chosen men over her family before, others were probably not that great either but John takes the cake. 

I'm worried for the poster who thinks Trey sent her back to her abuser and questions if Trey is the one in the wrong!!  The book Boundries by Henry Cloud and John Townsend is excellent about when and why boundaries need to be set and hope that he/she sees this and considers reading it. 

Edited by crgirl412
fixed bolding
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

Maybe he gets hospital grade opioids from an entrepreneurial yet very unethical and criminal healthcare provider (MD, DO, RN, NP, PA, RPh) who is diverting meds.  They themselves aren't doing drugs but only selling them for the money.  I wonder if it ever came out where he was getting them.      

This was my thought too.  Was he paying someone to divert the meds maybe?  

The most egregious offense isn't just that he's using, but that he was switching the meds the patient needs for saline, but charting it as "maximum" meds allowable already given, so the patients were left in excruciating pain.  If you've ever woken up from surgery and asked for additional pain meds, and felt the relief they provide, you'll understand just how horrific this is.  Makes me feel such empathy for these poor patients he was "treating".

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 14

I'm the poster you're worried about LOL.

My brother is married to a woman with NPD... though in fairness maybe she's changed her meds or something she's been more normal lately. So my mom is more of an enabler while I was the one who after she actually ran at me with fists was like she does not enter our home, we do not sit with her at functions.

We sort of split the difference and invited them for thanksgiving if she could promise not to hit anyone-- mom is 87 and needs to see her son. well they not only came, she apologized and really has been almost normal since.

I'm praying maybe shes not so bad as we thought... lots of warning signs and she did alienate his family and friends BUT she doesn't have a police record (we checked) or any of that horrific stuff, she's more garden variety, I think. I hope.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

This was my thought too.  Was he paying someone to divert the meds maybe?  

The most egregious offense isn't just that he's using, but that he was switching the meds the patient needs for saline, but charting it as "maximum" meds allowable already given, so the patients were left in excruciating pain.  If you've ever woken up from surgery and asked for additional pain meds, and felt the relief they provide, you'll understand just how horrific this is.  Makes me feel such empathy for these poor patients he was "treating".

I agree with you & is why I think  switching out the pain meds for saline was one of the most horrific things John did. Like I posted before, it would be bad enough if he took the meds from the medicine supply closet but taking it from post surgery patients who need it the most is soooooo despicable. It took some planning on his part too in finding the most vulnerable patients (like we saw.on the flashback.) I wonder how often he did it  (switching the pain med to saline) and how long he got away with it before he got caught?  (I have seen Dateline but not the podcast so it may have been discussed there.)

I had major lung surgery in the spring. I was given Dilaudid by a pain pump after the surgery while I was in the recovery room. It wasn't started til after they got all my chest tubes & drains taken care of which wasn't long but it seemed like an eternity.  I can easily relate to what his patients went through. 

This may require a Spoiler alert answer but was it ever told when and/or how John got hooked on drugs?   Were John's parents divorced or was Mom just not shown on the flashbacks on this episode? 

• Love 5
On 12/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, Ohwell said:

I have admit, it was tough listening to Terra's vocal fry but I stuck it out just to see where the episode was going.  No wonder the BF broke up with her, he just couldn't take listening to her anymore. 

I don't know which is worse, Terra's vocal fry or Debra's barely audible whispery voice. 

• Love 3
On 12/24/2018 at 1:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So John's father made him do seriously dangerous scams when he was a kid. Almost makes sense why John killed him. But what did he gain from it other than some twisted kind of revenge?

John played Debra so hard, pretending to go through withdrawal. She never stood a chance against this guy. I wonder if that doctor was in on the scam withdrawal with John.

OMG, Debra, the way to "fix it" is simple. Don't choose a sociopathic criminal over your children and grandchildren.

I thought the mafia way was not to go after the families of people you have a problem with. Weren't families exempt? It sounds like John's father had some twisted version of the mafia way in his head and that's what he passed on to John.

She is. She and Patricia Arquette are probaby going to be going toe to toe for the Emmy in their category.

Could you please explain how you know John killed his father from the show?  I could tell his father was dying in the hospital, but I didn’t get that John had killed him. 

Could you please explain how you know John killed his father from the show?  I could tell his father was dying in the hospital, but I didn’t get that John had killed him. 

The show didn't explicitly indicate that John had killed him. However, one moment John and his sister are in his room and the father is basically still alive. John sends his sister off to get coffee or something and when she returns she finds the room full of medical staff because their father had gone code blue. John was standing nearby with his usual shit-eating smirk. The strong insinuation was that John had done something to hasten his father's death. It's unclear why John would've done it though beyond revenge for his messed up childhood. Odds are the dad didn't leave a pile of money for his kids to inherit.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
Just now, Joimiaroxeu said:

The show didn't explicitly indicate that John had killed him. However, one moment John and his sister are in his room and the father is basically still alive. John sends his sister off to get coffee or something and when she returns she finds the room full of medical staff because their father had gone code blue. John was standing nearby with his usual shit-eating smirk. The strong insinuation was that John had done something to hasten his father's death.

Just wanted to add that before John told his sister to go get some food, she told him that their father was stable and that the doctors predicted that he would be alive for a few more weeks, so for him to go from that to crashing and dying within an hour of John arriving was a little too coincidental.

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Just wanted to add that before John told his sister to go get some food, she told him that their father was stable and that the doctors predicted that he would be alive for a few more weeks, so for him to go from that to crashing and dying within an hour of John arriving was a little too coincidental.

The perfect definition of "circumstantial evidence"

• Like 1

It was his smirk that gave the impression that he had something to do with his father's death.  Yes, the time of death, at the exact moment his sister took one of her only trips outside the hospital room, could just be coincidental.

But his smirk, and the way she looked at him, as if knowing he had something to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, preeya said:

The perfect definition of "circumstantial evidence"

Actually, we the viewers don't know if that's true or not.  For example, we don't know if he was careless and left fingerprints on the medical equipment, or if he left some other evidence.  Since it didn't go to trial we'll never know, but the death sure looked suspicious.  

• Love 1

I’m so glad I started watching this. I had no idea it was a true story until the placard at the end of the first episode. 

Can anyone tell me the name of the podcast and/or how to find it. I’m guessing I shouldn’t listen to it until the series is over??

On another note, I totally adore Connie Britton, and she is amazing in this role, but it is killing me to see her being such a needy, desperate nitwit. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, shksabelle said:

I’m so glad I started watching this. I had no idea it was a true story until the placard at the end of the first episode. 

Can anyone tell me the name of the podcast and/or how to find it. I’m guessing I shouldn’t listen to it until the series is over??

On another note, I totally adore Connie Britton, and she is amazing in this role, but it is killing me to see her being such a needy, desperate nitwit. 

You can find the original podcast episodes, plus some bonus episodes, here. Since you're new to it, you might want to keep the podcast details - since it may not follow the order of the episodes - over in the podcast thread. Even for those of us who already listened, it can be a challenge to remember which podcast details the show has gotten to in what episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Trey was the MVP of the episode for me the way he calmly but firmly enforced his boundaries with Debra. He must have gotten that trait from his father's side of the family.

I was pleasantly surprised that Ronnie had a job - the way she was presented initially I thought she was a trust fund baby - but as soon as her boss started singing her praises, I knew she would lose the job by the end of the episode.

Denise should have washed her hands of both her father and brother the minute she turned 18. Should have changed her identity and moved across the country so that neither of those lowlives could have tracked her down.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 13

Does this guy have a big one or something?  I can't imagine finding him attractive after she saw him detoxing and not to mention the fact that he's a total asshole.  

Ugh and his dad too with his bullshit. I am eager to find out if they for sure knew he killed his father.  This guy is giving me the creeps, talking to his sister like that - fuck him.  I can't believe these two people crossed paths. They are a perfect mix for a bad combination. 

• Love 6
On 04/01/2019 at 5:10 AM, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Does this guy have a big one or something?  I can't imagine finding him attractive after she saw him detoxing and not to mention the fact that he's a total asshole.  

Ugh and his dad too with his bullshit. I am eager to find out if they for sure knew he killed his father.  This guy is giving me the creeps, talking to his sister like that - fuck him.  I can't believe these two people crossed paths. They are a perfect mix for a bad combination. 

The actor that plays John, Eric Bana,is a total babe and if the real life John looked like him I could totally why Deb fell in love with him depite the red flags. But unfortunately the real John was just average looking so I am not really sure what the appeal was. To me stealing drugs and detoxing then letting people think you're clean when you are using again are forgivable as they are things I and probably a lot of addicts have done. Though I never stole from people who just had surgery as I never worked in the medical field. Could I do that if I had the chance? Hard to say but when you are dope sick it makes you do things you wouldn't do if you were well

• Love 4

I think the real John was better looking than Eric Bana.  I think Eric Bana is doing an amazing job, but John Meehan got away with a lot because of his looks.  Yes, his looks went away in mugshots, but his dating profile shots, which were fairly recent, were very handsome.

But for me, after that first heinous comment about being able to "take out" her daughter with a gunshot would cause me to lose all attraction for him.

For me, people lose their looks very quickly when they do, or say, something awful.  I used to think Matt Lauer was so good-looking; now I find him repulsive.  
That's what gets me about Debra.  All these things happened, and she still was ga ga over him.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, blackdahlia said:

The actor that plays John, Eric Bana,is a total babe and if the real life John looked like him I could totally why Deb fell in love with him depite the red flags. But unfortunately the real John was just average looking so I am not really sure what the appeal was. To me stealing drugs and detoxing then letting people think you're clean when you are using again are forgivable as they are things I and probably a lot of addicts have done. Though I never stole from people who just had surgery as I never worked in the medical field. Could I do that if I had the chance? Hard to say but when you are dope sick it makes you do things you wouldn't do if you were well

I would say you definitely know how things like this work.  I don’t think anyone would disagree with you. However, I am  just a few years older than Debra.  I’ve seen enough in my time to realize that I don’t have the stamina, energy, or determination to be married to a current or immediately prior addict.  I do have the  self preservation to back away. This knowledge comes from jumping in with both feet several times earlier in life. Debra has been married 4 times already.  She should have developed self preservation skills by now too. 

That being said -Dahlia- I hope your life is going well and that you have already or will find your other half. Everyone deserves one when the time is right. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
On 12/29/2018 at 3:34 PM, Ohwell said:

Oops^^^^^

16 minutes ago, Sterling said:

I think the real John was better looking than Eric Bana.  I think Eric Bana is doing an amazing job, but John Meehan got away with a lot because of his looks.  Yes, his looks went away in mugshots, but his dating profile shots, which were fairly recent, were very handsome.

But for me, after that first heinous comment about being able to "take out" her daughter with a gunshot would cause me to lose all attraction for him.

For me, people lose their looks very quickly when they do, or say, something awful.  I used to think Matt Lauer was so good-looking; now I find him repulsive.  
That's what gets me about Debra.  All these things happened, and she still was ga ga over him.

I agree with you about losing attraction to someone because of something they say or do. 

His threat about Roni was the worse but if I was Debra some of his attractiveness would have left before that like when he showed up late at the gala wearing scrubs. She was worried when she didn't know where he was. His excuse was he lost his charger but why didn't he call her on the hospital land line? She also never even questioned why he wasn't wearing a tux or suit . 

Debra did seem to let a lot of things slide with John that most of us would have questioned.  He  blew up about Toby's text when he saw it on her phone. Was she allowed to look through his phone?  (That would be a No.) Same thing with text alert tracker on safety deposit box.  He had one but I'm sure she didn't.  She just shrugged it off when he told her he had taken out the 90K to invest.  Granted she had the wedding rings on her mind but I think even as meek & mild as I am, I  would have questioned why he had taken our large amount of emergency cash without telling me before he did it. 

I bet John thought he hit the jackpot (ha ha) when he realized how easy it was to get things over on her since she didn't seem to question that much.  I'm sure she never questioned him why  he walks away from certain situations when he didn't get his way like a 5 year old . (Leaving Debra's apartment after the first date, leaving the rehab doctor's office after being told he needs a physical,  leaving the attorney's office after post nup conversation.

• Love 5

The real John Meehan is HOT, HOT, HOT!!  I'm sure that he got away with tons of stuff due to his looks!

EDIT:  The photo of him at the beach is really the one I'm thinking of when I say that.  In other photos he looks kind of nerdy.  

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 1

Yeah, I’m not seeing the real John Meehan’s hotness either—-he just resembles a beefier Tim Robbins to me. But hey, to each her peach; in real life he probably oozed a certain kind of slimy charm that would draw in lots of desperate old broads. 

The heft factor is my only complaint about Eric Bana in this role; I’ve always found him fairly handsome and he’s doing a great job acting-wise, but he really should’ve prepped more by bulking up and packing on some extra pounds for this role. Based on the pics I’ve seen of him so far, John was a big beefy dude, after all.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I’m not attracted to pics of the real John, but Eric Bana is cute.

I think Eric Bana is pretty easy on the eyes as well.  The real John, not so much.  He must have been a real charmer is all I can think of.  

• Love 4

I thought the real John Meehan was much more attractive and more of a physical hunk than the actor Eric Bana.

While Bana is portraying the crazy eyes and nastiness very well, I think he was miscast in the part and wasn't particularly believable when it came to the "smooth" part of winning Debra over. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, nosedive said:

To me he looks and sounds like Corey Feldman.

Oh nooooo!  Now I'm going to see Corey Feldman every time I look at him and I don't want to!  Never, ever would I have made that comparison but, I can kind of see it now that you have brought it to my attention. Well, you've ruined Eric Bana for me...thanks a lot!

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Ninny said:

Oh nooooo!  Now I'm going to see Corey Feldman every time I look at him and I don't want to!  Never, ever would I have made that comparison but, I can kind of see it now that you have brought it to my attention. Well, you've ruined Eric Bana for me...thanks a lot!

So sorry!  

On 1/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, blackdahlia said:

To me stealing drugs and detoxing then letting people think you're clean when you are using again are forgivable as they are things I and probably a lot of addicts have done. Though I never stole from people who just had surgery as I never worked in the medical field. Could I do that if I had the chance? Hard to say but when you are dope sick it makes you do things you wouldn't do if you were well

I work in the field and have seen people detox and overdose.  It's my opinion that I would not be attracted to that, I didn't say anything about not forgiving them just for having an addiction or else I wouldn't have a job. He's just overall awful.

• Love 4

On 12/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, lucindabelle said:

On the one hand, I applaud Trey.

On the other, he sent her back to the narcissist abuser. Unsure how to feel about that.

She's a grown woman, and he's done all he could. He has no right to stop her, nor the responsibility.

On 12/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, lezlers said:

Yep.  And all of that "I made a vow...for better or for worse" bullshit had me howling.  John was her FIFTH husband.  So NOW she gives a shit about her vows? 

I know, right. It reminds me of my reaction whenever I heard Tammy Wynette sing "Stand by Your Man." LOL

On 12/29/2018 at 7:47 AM, gotta watch said:

I actually thought John hastening his father's death was where the episode title came from "Lord High Executioner"

I think it was a great use of connecting John with the mob guy his father called "Lord High Executioner."  A murderous legacy.

On 1/6/2019 at 7:23 PM, crgirl412 said:

The real John Meehan is HOT, HOT, HOT!!  I'm sure that he got away with tons of stuff due to his looks!

EDIT:  The photo of him at the beach is really the one I'm thinking of when I say that.  In other photos he looks kind of nerdy.  

I looked that up, and yep, mileage varies. But I did get spoiled about what happens.

Ronnie's boss really infuriated me. He's been singing her praises, clearly appreciates her, but when she's clearly under attack, he offers no help or compassion at all. Just "fix it" and, oh by the way, until you do, you're fired.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 1/3/2020 at 10:13 AM, Clanstarling said:

I looked that up, and yep, mileage varies. But I did get spoiled about what happens.

I know, I purposely have avoided spoilers even though this has been out awhile but after reading how people thought he was handsome I just googled him and it gave away what happens to him. 

• Love 1
On 12/30/2018 at 10:01 AM, CaliCheeseSucks said:

You can find the original podcast episodes, plus some bonus episodes, here.

I just searched for the title on that site but am not sure if I found the right episodes. There are 7 episodes under the overall title Real Crime Profile, which include 4 episodes dated Jan-Feb 2019 called Surviving Dirty John: Tonia Bales; Life After Dirty John: Tonia Bales; Surviving Dirty John: Debra Newell; Surviving Dirty John: Debra Newell Part 2. Then there are 3 bonus episodes dated October 2017 (I don't know how the bonus episodes can be dated 2 years earlier than the regular episodes); the bonus episodes are Profiling Dirty John, More With Dirty John Creator Christoffer Goffard, and Coercive Control. 

Are these the all the episodes you are referring to, and should they be watched in the order I listed them?