Type keyword(s) to search

Wentworth - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Valny said:

Just curious, why are you not sure you want to watch all seven seasons? Is it too emotional? This show is high drama with tiny spots of humor thrown in but drama and emotional stuff is it's core....and I love it... but it might not be for everyone.

Do you have some favorite characters mjc570?  What did you think of the new warden in S2?

Thanks for the advice! No, it's just that I'm not sure I will have time to watch it all, and didn't want to watch a few seasons now,  and have to wait what may be a substantial period of time to watch a few more. Also, to be honest, I'm not sure how much prison drama (I assume it's all set in the prison) can be sustained over a number of years, without having a major change of scenery.

I find Frankie to be by far the most interesting character, or maybe that is  just an exceptional actor.  She does awful things, but I do feel that is because she feels that she has to, she is not naturally sadistic.  I have a lot of sympathy for her, with her background, it's not surprising she is screwed up.  If she had had a better start in life, she could have really been successful.

On the other hand, I don't like Ms. Perfect Bea.  The Debbie love is excessive, and just isn't enough to give her character any depth.  She really has no identity besides Debbie avenger.  She could have been set up much better as a foil to Jaqs or Franke or whoever the top dog is until she (Bea) takes over. I also hate her scraggly hair an perpetually chapped lips.

I think (so far) the show is very well written.  For example, I thought Will Jackson, the guard/husband of Meg) was going to be hitting on Bea, or otherwise abusing his position. but that's not the way it's turning out. 

Anyway, would love to discuss, it but have to get back to watching. 

Edited by mjc570
  • Love 1

Fucking Ferguson. A Marvel comics villain that everyone knows is manipulative and evil and yet the moment she whispers something creepy in a person's ear they immediately believe her and do exactly what she wants them to do. This is the worst character this show has produced and yet the show runners are in love with her and won't get rid of her. 

On that note, I have never seen a group of people who are so universally easy to manipulate. There are only a tiny handful (if that) who take a minute to stop and think about what the hell they are being told and who it might benefit. They just accept everything they are told at face value and go off like little soldiers and do what they've been programmed to do. It's ridiculous.

I realize as an American I may not understand the Australian system, but why would you put people just arrested and not convicted in a prison with convicted violent prisoners? And why would you put babies and small children in that environment, unsegregated from the violent convicted offenders in general population?  You know, where there are police dogs doing cell checks, lewd behavior, violent acts (including murders) with no separation at all. I can see (and know of) special units in American prisons where babies and small children can stay with their mothers in segregated units but they are carefully supervised and no one is allowed that has any violent offenses on their record. Apparently at Wentworth they take no precautions at all. It's bizarre.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I realize as an American I may not understand the Australian system, but why would you put people just arrested and not convicted in a prison with convicted violent prisoners? And why would you put babies and small children in that environment, unsegregated from the violent convicted offenders in general population?  You know, where there are police dogs doing cell checks, lewd behavior, violent acts (including murders) with no separation at all. I can see (and know of) special units in American prisons where babies and small children can stay with their mothers in segregated units but they are carefully supervised and no one is allowed that has any violent offenses on their record. Apparently at Wentworth they take no precautions at all. It's bizarre.

Americans are the only first world country that removes children from a mother serving even a incredibly short prison sentence.   Most other countries believe that for short sentences it will be good for the parent and the child to remain together.  Now Wentworth is a tv show so they put everyone in the same general area.   That isnt really how it actually works.   There are usually units set up for a mother who has a child with them that might include an outside playground or something.    You know something set up for the child who isn’t technically an inmate.       Again same goes for jails and prisons.    My guess is it would mean having to hire a whole new cast way too often.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, Valny said:

OMG, have you guys seen the Season 8 trailer?

Thanks for posting this! I was very intrigued by the trailer, until the end. I loved this show from the start and was totally onboard for the great ensemble show of the first and second seasons, but as it morphed into The Joan Ferguson Show, I got more and more irritated until I gave it up completely a few episodes into season 5. I've often thought about getting back into it, and even spoiled myself on IMDB to see what I was in for regarding her character. Now that I know for sure she'll be in it, possibly until the bitter, end, I'm out for good. It feels liberating, but sad. I loved following the stories of these women, and was really disappointed to see it get so overrun by a completely unbelievable cartoon villain. Oh well, I hope everyone else enjoys it!

• Love 4
On 6/23/2020 at 10:50 PM, Valny said:

OMG, have you guys seen the Season 8 trailer?  It looks pretty good! It premiers  in Australia on July 28, so I'm guessing early October it will be on Netflix if there are 10 eps.

I am really looking forward to this show being back.  NOT looking forward to having to wait for it to be on Netflix but oh well.      Don’t even mind Fergusson being back even though I thought her death was done perfectly and the show doesn’t really need her at this point but I am going to hold my judgment until I see the new season.   

• Love 3

I know this show is fiction but I still have to ask --- Is there only one prison in all of Australia? How is Marie Winters still incarcerated at Wentworth?
Like the new characters. They should bring the drama.

Don't buy

Spoiler

Allie Novak

as the new top dog.

• Love 2
On 7/25/2020 at 12:59 PM, zibnchy said:

I know this show is fiction but I still have to ask --- Is there only one prison in all of Australia? How is Marie Winters still incarcerated at Wentworth?
Like the new characters. They should bring the drama.

Don't buy

Hide contents

Allie Novak

as the new top dog.

Me ether, they even have her dressed up like 1st season Franky-come-on! 🙄

On 7/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, purist said:

I got a sneak peek of episode 1 of the new season. It's very good. I screamed, I cried, I laughed, I covered my eyes. It's good to have Wentworth back!

It was a great episode, very intense.

I know there's nobody here but I just have to express that I am sick to death of Kath Maxwell and I want the Freak back. It's obvious she's faking. Embrace the Freak, Joan.

Also Allie Novak is a terrible top dog. Maybe the Freak will hotshot her again.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, zibnchy said:

I know there's nobody here but I just have to express that I am sick to death of Kath Maxwell and I want the Freak back. It's obvious she's faking. Embrace the Freak, Joan.

Hehehehe. I'm loving Pamela Rabe's performance. So creepy. I cannot WAIT until the Freak breaks free.

19 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Also Allie Novak is a terrible top dog. Maybe the Freak will hotshot her again.

Yeah, she's pretty bad as Top Dog. That scene where she was doing horrible things to Marie (I'm trying to be vague so people aren't spoiled) was very intense, though. It looked very real. Must have been traumatic for the actors.

In other news, I won a teal Wentworth-branded hoodie from Foxtel! It's very heavy and snuggly.

• Love 2

Some thoughts on the season finale. I'll try to be spoiler free so all the people who come here after it debuts on Netflix won't be spoiled. (Who am I kidding, this place is dead.)

1. Fucking Judy. This new character who we know nothing about and who we are not really told anything about and, to boot, she's just really unlikable AND, if I do say so, not a good actress, is given this pivotal role in the season? WTF?

2. Will Jackson is just incredibly useless.

3. Either give Linda Miles a real storyline or kill her off please. Her nasty snotty 2 minute per episode cameos are just so annoying and she adds nothing at all.

4. They did such a nice job casting Lou and Reb. I simultaneously love and fear Lou, and Reb needs to be protected by someone who actually has his best interests at heart. The actors have great chemistry and are doing good work.

5. Never an Allie Novak fan but, finally, tonight I really got Top Dog vibes from her and the actress did a nice job.

6. They never should have neutered Boomer.

7. I confess that I really really wanted them to find Dr. WhateverTheHeckHisNameIs tied up in the back of the prison van. It would have been cheesy but satisfying.

All in all I liked the season and I'll look forward to the final season in 2021. I expect a few huge blowouts and they better tie up a few loose ends. And find an excuse to bring Franky back for a cameo or two.

• Love 6

Wow I am surprised season 8 isn’t getting more traction.   

I don’t think Allie was a bad top dog per se. I think she was a “peace time” top dog.  After the Marie thing happened and Allie shot the dude she kinda inherited the position and did pretty well with it.  Unfortunately peace never lasts forever and warring  forces started to converge on the prison that became too much for Allie to handle.  The fact is Allie is more a number two then a top dog or even a top dog’s girl.  Nothing wrong with that.  But Allie got in over her head and eventually someone smarter then her stuck a knife in her back.

I hope Allie isn’t dead.  Despite everything she is actually a fun character and has unfinished business with Fergusson.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Avoiding spoilers so not reading any above season 8 talk.

Just saw the first ep of season 8. Really like it, this is gonna be another great season. Loving bad-ass Allie and her new look, getting Frankie vibes off her heavy black eyeliner.  Boomer was cracking me up and also breaking my heart as per usual.  Vera's baby is adorable. I know she was coming back but I kept on saying to myself, NO, don't say yes to that lady to come back to Wentworth!!  You don't need that shit!
I'm wondering how Joan got the money to get the fake passport,drivers license and such. I'm thinking someone helped her?
Question- I can't remember, does anyone know Will and Marie were fooling around?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Valny said:

Question- I can't remember, does anyone know Will and Marie were fooling around?

Yeah, they were having a torrid affair in season 7.

6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t think Allie was a bad top dog per se.

Here is a VERY SPOILERY article on Foxtel about Allie's character, in which Kate Jenkinson explains why she became Top Dog. The pertinent bit:

“[Allie’s] always had so much potential, [but] she was comfortable hiding in the shadows of much stronger women than her. But I think finding the power in the closing scene of season seven to basically save the day and save the women from this oppressor [shooting Sean Brody (Rick Donald) who was holding them all hostage], I think that kind of flipped a switch in her. She realised the women do need someone to look out for them. And that they do need a leader, and she saw the benefits of that when she had leaders like Bea, like Kaz (Tammy MacIntosh), when Kaz wasn’t throwing people off buildings!”

Yes to most of your points, @zibnchy, especially about Lou and Reb, and Linda Miles. I would add that this season has brought back into focus how much of a loser Vera is. Remember in the first few seasons what an intentionally pathetic character she was? Also: I wonder what Marie is up to with Sheila. Very intriguing.

I tweeted after I watched the finale that they have set everything up nicely for the final season, and that I can't believe we have to wait so long to see it (apparently it will air in April 2021). A person I follow on Twitter who works on the show tweeted me back and said, 'It'll be worth it' with a winky-face emoji.

• Love 1

Just finished binging season 8 so if you haven’t watched it yet, you might want to stop reading right here.

Alle isn’t believable as Top Dog. Has zero presence, charisma ...nothin’. Black eyeliner does not make ye a Top Dog. 

Love the Reb character and the actor who plays him is giving a powerful performance. I hope he will be recognized for it. And the actor is gorgeous....can’t stop staring.  I haven’t googled the actor to know if they identify as male or female in their real life but the writers are doing ground breaking work with the transgender storyline and I appreciate it. On a side note, I’m predicting  that Sheila is Reb’s mother. 

Love/hate the Ferguson character. It is so well acted and written, but at the same time....really? She doesn’t stay dead? Is she Satan? The audience is expected to believe that she absolutely cannot be killed? Meh. 

They are setting up something sinister between Ferguson and Vera’s adorable baby and I don’t want to watch it. Just the thought is giving me high anxiety. 

Loving Mari this season. Thought I was loving Judy but I was wrong. 

I am so glad this show is back and didn’t realize how much I missed it! Now I’m sad because I binged it over the course of two days and don’t have any new episodes left to watch! Argh!

Edit: A 10 second internet search on Reb tells me that he is played by an actor named Zoe Terakes. They don’t  appear to be transgender in their real life? 🤔🤷🏼‍♀️ Not sure.  Either  way, I’m obsessed with the jaw dropping acting skills. WOW! 

Edited by HamSammich
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, HamSammich said:

On a side note, I’m predicting  that Sheila is Reb’s mother. 

OMG! That would be a great twist and also devastating. I hope you're right.

Wentworth had a transgender inmate story back in, like, season 3 with Maxine, who was portrayed by a male actor who was not transgender. A lot of people, myself included, thought he was gay but apparently he identifies as heterosexual. There was blow back for the show for hiring a straight man to play a transgender woman.

I don't know if Zoe Terakes is transgender and, of course, it isn't any of my business. BUT they are at least NB and they're doing a great job and I love Reb. I'm just afraid his devotion to Lou is going to get him killed.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, HamSammich said:

10 second internet search on Reb tells me that he is played by an actor named Zoe Terakes. They don’t  appear to be transgender in their real life?

Zoe identifies as non-binary and is only 20 years old. Here is an excellent interview from late 2019 where they talk about playing a trans character. I saw Zoe play Emmy in A Doll's House, Part 2 in 2018 and Catherine in A View from the Bridge in 2019, both for the Melbourne Theatre Company. They were brilliant in both plays. Definitely a star on the rise.

• Love 2
On 10/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, HamSammich said:

On a side note, I’m predicting  that Sheila is Reb’s mother.

What makes you say that? I didn't get that at all.  I thought Reb's parents sent him to the place to get "fixed", where Sheila acted as the messiah's acolyte, drugging the girls* holding them down as they were raped, which the other members had to watch.  * Not sure if there were other girls or just Reb, but it sounded like SOP for that place. 

Speaking more generally, much as I think the actress is super talented, I was just tired of the whole Ferguson thing.  I didn't care about whether her amnesia was real or fake, or about her early trauma.  Also: sick of Boomer.  It seems like her character development into a more considerate person  just evaporated, and she was her original, thoughtless self.  I don't remember her name, but I miss the transgender enforcer from an earlier season, that was a well-written and acted character.

I was completely taken in by Judy, although I'm not sure how that helps her position.  Presumably the US has other officials who can oversee the extradition. 

Despite that, it was interesting enough that I did watch all the episodes (not real closely, though). 

• Love 1

If you don’t want to be spoiled quit reading this post lol

i thought this season was just so-so, got good the second half, the first half was just slow...these new characters all blow minus Reb but even he got on my nerves by his inability to function by himself 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, zibnchy said:

1. Fucking Judy. This new character who we know nothing about and who we are not really told anything about and, to boot, she's just really unlikable AND, if I do say so, not a good actress, is given this pivotal role in the season? WTF?

2. Will Jackson is just incredibly useless.

3. Either give Linda Miles a real storyline or kill her off please. Her nasty snotty

Yes to all three! Judy was terrible....from the moment she had those pants pulled up like Eurkel I was like, “this chick is a terrorist” 

I have a feeling we will see miss miles as governor next season....but then we will get either useless Will or Vera back 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, zibnchy said:

7. I confess that I really really wanted them to find Dr. WhateverTheHeckHisNameIs tied up in the back of the prison van. It would have been cheesy but satisfying.

Dr. Miller! They say his name so much how can one forget 😂 that would have been funny to see....I was sooooo disappointed he got played by Ferguson....I really thought he was going to take Vera’s concerns to heart....I mean, I know he cannot let personal feelings get in the way...but come on man! You didn’t make the connection with the fish gone missing! You are supposed to be the medical doctor! Funny because I thought we were gonna get a dr Miller/Vera romance in season 7 going into season 8....pretty sure that is now dead before arrival 

too bad, he was an upgrade compared to Jake the snake lol

Allie was a bad top dog.....unfortunately I think she’s a goner....so who is boomer and Ruby going to hang with next season? Not Lou Kelly! 

the freak better be in peak freak form next season....no more hiding behind Kath Maxwell!

Edited by snickers
  • Love 1

Just watched the finale. Spoilers ahead!

Ferguson wasn't faking it but dumbasses Linda and Vera made sure she remembers who she is now! I didn't like the idea of Ferguson back, but the whole storyline with her in a fugue state and now remembering who she is has gotten me interested in what she will do next! 

Allie will not die or will tell someone that Lou was the one who shivved her before she expires if she does die. They made a point of her seeing Lou while she was on the floor. I really would like to see her reunited with Bea. I was so disappointed that she lived when Bea died.

Judy was so good at pretending to be a misunderstood harmless computer hacker, but she is a cold blooded terrorist after all. What she did to Ann and Allie without even blinking, as well as the assassination leaves no doubt to how dangerous she is. I agree that I don't see how this will prevent her extradition, just delay it for awhile. But maybe she has an escape plan cooking. She definitely has the connections.

I was not surprised at all that it was Lou who poisoned everyone. I figured that was the case when they showed the flashback of them running away. Poor Reb in such a toxic relationship! Marie and/or Sheila to the rescue?

Looking forward to next season!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, gail56 said:

Marie and/or Sheila to the rescue?

Ugh, not Sheila! That woman is EVIL. Marta Dusseldorp (the actor who plays her) is so good. As soon as she arrived I was mesmerised by her stillness and her potential for malevolence.

• Love 1

Really nice interview with Zoe Terakes here about their role in Wentworth and being an out-and-proud actor. The article includes a trailer for Zoe's new movie, which looks awesome! (It also stars Marta Dusseldorp, coincidentally.)

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

Just finished the latest season on Netflix tonight. It was really good, lots of nice twists and turns. Although I was surprised that Marie didn't end up doing more. I was totally expecting some reveal at the end where she was some secret mastermind manipulating everyone.

The only thing I hated was Vera and the Doctor's arguments about what he should say at Ferguson at the trial, because even though I am not a lawyer I don't think it matters. Ferguson would be facing at least two murder charges plus anything associated with a prison escape. Even if the doc says she has amnesia I can't imagine they just say that's it and let her go free and forget everything. I am thinking she goes to a secure facility until she can stand trial. So what exactly was the problem Vera?

Also I don't think they are going to kill off Allie, mostly because I am not sure what characters are left who could take over as top dog.

• Love 1

My husband and I just got into Wentworth on Netflix. I am obsessed. We are currently in season 3. I find Franky so compelling...I hate The Freak...I am so nervous for Dor and her baby (who was just born). Will can be so dense. I'm just a huge fan. Even Bea has become so much more interesting since she escaped to kill Brayden. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

I'm a little bit sorry I watched that.

Why? I loved it! Of course there were some bits that were silly, but that's Wentworth for you. I'm just so happy to see all these women again, especially the outstanding actors Pamela Rabe, Susie Porter and Marta Dusseldorp.

Im still riveted even though most of the better origial cast are gone.

Joan drawing a bead on Jake  b/c he threatened to take Vera's baby away just like what happened to Jiana. C'mon Joan,  you are in love  w her! 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, xls said:

Im still riveted even though most of the better origial cast are gone.

Same. I'm ready for Lou Kelly to go nuclear on everyone and everything. To misquote Dr Frank N Furter, I am shivering with anticipation!

• Love 3

I know nobody's here to hear (or care about) this but the number 1 person I want to die before the end is Linda (f'ing) Miles. I'd be happy to never see her smug face ever again . Her character has been and is useless. My antipathy extends to the actress who plays her because she owns the smug face and the shit acting.

Second is Judy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Hi @purist. 👋

We were so close. I remember wondering if they were really going to kill Judy in Ep 5. Alas. But never fear. She and Lou are going to bomb their way out. I'm actually worried for Lou.

Ferguson is playing Dr. FancyPants and Nanny McGee like a fiddle and I'm here for it. And now Vera is onto it. Let the games begin!

I warmed to Ann a little (just a teensy bit) as she was flinging f-bombs all over the place in the staff mtg.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Ferguson is playing Dr. FancyPants and Nanny McGee like a fiddle and I'm here for it. And now Vera is onto it. Let the games begin!

Ooh yeah - it's getting very juicy. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Brilliant penultimate episode last night. What was the piece of paper Miller signed before he left? What the hell is Ferguson up to?? Will anyone survive or will they all get blown up???

Marie's exit was very well done. She pretty much redeemed herself - I even felt a bit sad for her. And that final shot of our 'heroes' sitting in their area listening to all that hostile shouting coming at them was chilling. I'm told it was a tip of the hat to the very last episode of the original Prisoner (Cell Block H), in which the Freak was locked up for the first time and all the other inmates were howling for her head. Awesome stuff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Aaaaahhhhhh what a fantastic final episode! I screamed, I laughed, I cried, and at one moment (if you've seen it, you'll know which moment I mean) I literally couldn't breathe. I'm so sad it's over!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, purist said:

Aaaaahhhhhh what a fantastic final episode! I screamed, I laughed, I cried, and at one moment (if you've seen it, you'll know which moment I mean) I literally couldn't breathe. I'm so sad it's over!

It was a very satisfying final episode. I've gotten pretty attached to these characters. Wish it wasn't ending. Guess it's time to start over at the beginning.

The only thing I'm still wondering about is Where is Joan Ferguson?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, zibnchy said:

The only thing I'm still wondering about is Where is Joan Ferguson?

IKR? Somehow it's fitting that she is the only main character without a neat ending. Everything about her in this episode was brilliant - casually brushing her hair while Rita and Lou were beating the shot out of each other outside her cell, THAT moment and that murder, her final scene with Vera, and the fantastic end-of-the-credits shot.

Here is an absolutely perfect review of the finale from Melbourne's Age newspaper - spoilers ahoy!

Edited by purist
  • Love 2

I watched until the end hoping to learn that Ruby is secretly Rita's daughter she had when very young. The actor's chemistry and relationship felt more mother-daughter than sister-sister, IMO. Guess I'm wrong, but if I were to ever write Wentworth fanfiction, that would be my first reveal.

I enjoyed this show from the first season until the last. Great casting and storylines kept it going. Many shows lose me after the characters I first grew to love leave, but Wentworth managed to keep me on board season after season -- even after The Joan Ferguson Show started becoming absolutely ridiculous I hung in there because the actors sold it.

I'll miss this show and plan to do a re-watch soon.

• Love 3

I just finished watching the finale!  Overall I felt it was a fitting ending for this show. Glad to see most of the villains got their comeuppance. Seems like Joan was going to leave everyone alone now?  That’s kinda hard to believe, but I’ll go with it.  I will miss this show!

Boomer’s happy ending was awesome!

Did anyone else hate Lou and Reb?  I couldn’t stand them. I don’t remember any other romantic couple on this show having THAT many love scenes. I mean, I get it already. No other couple I can think of has annoyed me so much. Plus Lou is a horrible person and Reb, who was supposed to be basically a good person, was willing to overlook all of it. I don’t even remember him hardly ever having scenes with anyone but Lou. Like, did they ever do anything other than (1) kill people or (2) have sex?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blue Plastic said:

Did anyone else hate Lou and Reb?

I absolutely loved them! They were completely fucked up but I was moved by their fierce love for each other. When Lou was running for the fence after the bomb went off, I was actually cheering for her to make it out.

In other news, the fight scenes with her and Rita in this episode were magnificent and among the best the series ever did.

Edited by purist
  • Love 1
On 11/1/2021 at 2:33 AM, purist said:

I absolutely loved them! They were completely fucked up but I was moved by their fierce love for each other. When Lou was running for the fence after the bomb went off, I was actually cheering for her to make it out.

In other news, the fight scenes with her and Rita in this episode were magnificent and among the best the series ever did.

I totally agree. They kicked each others asses and I really appreciate that they were allowed to go for it. Rita's fight scenes are my favorites of the entire series. She throws a believable punch.

• Love 1

Just started the last half of season 8 - the final season.  OMG, it's dark.  Like way dark.  I had to literally turn away from the screen during a scene in epi 12 (second epi of last 1/2 of the season).  You'll know which one I mean when you watch it.  Or dont watch it, as the case may be. Ugh.

Edited by shirazplease
  • Love 1