Type keyword(s) to search

Nailed It! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Watching the 2nd episode now. The guest judge is a Luchadore named Psycho Clown, and they're making Lucha Libre cake pops.

Oh my, I think I may have to go watch this now!

• LOL 1

I just started watching season 3 (was EXHAUSTED and needed something that didn't require that much brain power) and I can't even describe how hard I started laughing at the one contestant who frosted an apple because his cupcakes didn't turn out. Like, actual loud laughter that this guy just grabbed an apple and that Nicole ate it. I died.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

The French version is great. The host is funny, the expert baker lady is adorable. Jacques Torres made a guest judge appearance, and in the first episode two people broke stand mixers.

The one Spanish version I saw was only OK so far.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

All I can say is that "You served us cornbread with mashed potatoes and a dead woman on top" is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long, long time.

15 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I loved Paul Scheer as contestant. He was almost too much, but kept it reined in enough.

I almost felt like it was a fix, but I thought dividing the prize money between the other two was a nice, surprising touch.  I was expecting him to donate it to charity.

• Love 7

The holiday version of Nailed it always cracks me up! Just watched the first two episodes.

I'm curious as to whether or not the contestants really are as clueless about baking as they appear to be. Baking is an exact science, and there's always one contestant who assumes they can just totally wing it (hey, I'm looking at YOU, guy who poured half a bottle of almond extract into your cake batter!).

I was actually kind of delighted by the seated Santa cakes in Episode 2: they all managed to create a Santa figure with a smile, along with a baby Wes on his knee! Glad I don't have to taste these creations though!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/26/2019 at 12:41 AM, Cheezwiz said:

I'm curious as to whether or not the contestants really are as clueless about baking as they appear to be. Baking is an exact science, and there's always one contestant who assumes they can just totally wing it (hey, I'm looking at YOU, guy who poured half a bottle of almond extract into your cake batter!).

Actually, I was starting to wonder if the show had changed their casting strategy recently.  In the earlier seasons, it felt like the contestants had a genuine interest in baking but just weren't good at it for whatever reason.  This season, it felt like most of the contestants were casted just for whatever antics they may bring in the kitchen. 

Also, I noticed that Jacques and even Nicole were providing more heavy direction to the contestants this season  on how not to poison them or create a fire hazard (can't remember if that was really concern in the earlier seasons).

• Love 3

I'm curious as to whether or not the contestants really are as clueless about baking as they appear to be. 

I'm just watching the holiday seasons right now. The show gets a little tedious to binge. I've always been drawn to reality competition shows because I love seeing competent people excel at something they're great at. I hang in there for Nicole but watching people fail over and over is a little draining. 

I think it's important to keep the time crunch in mind. I'm not an expert baker but I'm reasonably competent in the kitchen if I'm not making something too difficult (more cupcakes, cookies than macarons or angel food cakes) and I've got a good recipe. I think most home bakers move pretty slowly. I take a lot of time measuring things so when they do things like making cupcakes and cookies in 90 minutes, and also have to let them cool and decorate them, that feels like a lot. I do think they look for people who have no artistic ability so even if the bakes are okay, the decorating always looks like a mess. The cakes are just a joke. I've been watching cake stuff for years. Even in the Food Network serious cake competition days with the best professional bakers, they would give them 4-5 hours and they would have a team. I think they give the bakers like 2 hours to make showstopper cakes. That's not enough time. They're set up to fail. And when they feel the time crunch, people start to panic. 

• Love 2

Well that goes on the list of shows that I wanted to like but didn't. I only watched part of the pilot so maybe it gets better.

I was looking for something to watch and remember hearing this was good. I went in thinking it'll be a cross of Chopped and Worst Cooks in America (both of which I like). Which it kind of is as the constants were interesting and relatable. But the judges (mainly Nichole) were annoying.  Though I didn't mind Silvia(?) but she was the guest judge. And the whole "annoying" the other contestants is a stupid concept and irritating to the point where I turned off the episode at this point.  The constants not knowing how to bake is an interesting concept and could have been entertaining. I guess my question is does it get better or is it just like the first episode?

21 minutes ago, blueray said:

Well that goes on the list of shows that I wanted to like but didn't. I only watched part of the pilot so maybe it gets better.

I was looking for something to watch and remember hearing this was good. I went in thinking it'll be a cross of Chopped and Worst Cooks in America (both of which I like). Which it kind of is as the constants were interesting and relatable. But the judges (mainly Nichole) were annoying.  Though I didn't mind Silvia(?) but she was the guest judge. And the whole "annoying" the other contestants is a stupid concept and irritating to the point where I turned off the episode at this point.  The constants not knowing how to bake is an interesting concept and could have been entertaining. I guess my question is does it get better or is it just like the first episode?

It doesn't change that much, so if you don't like the antics they're still there now.

Maybe try the Great British Bake Off if you haven't already?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, starri said:

Man, Rachel from the last episode, Nailed It!'s own Debbie Downer...I felt bad for her.

I think you have to have a pretty healthy ego to go on this show, knowing you're going to fail in front of the whole world but still willing to give it your best shot. How Rachel got past the screening process is a mystery since she didn't seem to get the point. I did like the "sad trombone" sound effect every time she dissed herself though it was a bit mean.

• Love 1

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television

“The Amazing Race” (CBS) – Season 32
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Elise Doganieri, Mark Vertullo, Phil Keoghan

“The Masked Singer” (FOX) – Season 3, Season 4
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Nailed It!” (Netflix) – Season 4

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” ( (Season 12)

“The Voice” (NBC) – Season 18, Season 19

18 hours ago, starri said:

New season out now. Nailed It!: Double Trouble, with teams.

I've only watched the first episode, but having an extra person on hand is definitely not improving the quality of the baked goods, so the show still has lots of entertainment value! Bonus: first episode had Greek mythology as the theme. Anything involving snake-headed gorgons and inept bakers is automatically hilarious.

I wonder how long it would ACTUALLY take a skilled pro to make a reasonable facsimile of the example baked items, since it's clear the deadlines are deliberately made absurdly short for giggles.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I've only watched the first episode, but having an extra person on hand is definitely not improving the quality of the baked goods, so the show still has lots of entertainment value! Bonus: first episode had Greek mythology as the theme. Anything involving snake-headed gorgons and inept bakers is automatically hilarious.

I wonder how long it would ACTUALLY take a skilled pro to make a reasonable facsimile of the example baked items, since it's clear the deadlines are deliberately made absurdly short for giggles.

I watched the first couple of episodes.... I think it would take a pro a lot longer than the time they are given. Some of those look quite involved and detailed. 

• Love 2

I... have no idea how the show's response to filming in a pandemic was to invite twice the number of contestants into a confined space. And contestants who weren't in the same household? Just... what?

Hope Top Chef made more sensible precautions.

• Love 3

The two drag queens from the second episode were among the most talented they've ever had.  They even had the smartest use of the Panic button I think I've ever seen.

I knew all the teams were going to be in trouble the minute Nicole said "cotton candy extract."

7 hours ago, VanillaBear85 said:

But Nicole doesn't put the gold baker's hat on the round 1 winners! 

They also don't get together for a post-victory selfie.  The set seems a lot more spread out as well.

I enjoyed the new season but not as much as normal. I think the social distancing just makes it a bit different. Hopefully if there is another season it will be back to normal for filming. 

Also not enough Wes!!

On 3/29/2021 at 1:44 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I really want to see Jacques do one of the challenges exactly as they ask the contestants to.  Yeah, I agree they make the time short to make it harder, but it would be interesting.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, lh25 said:

I really want to see Jacques do one of the challenges exactly as they ask the contestants to.  Yeah, I agree they make the time short to make it harder, but it would be interesting.

I'd LOVE to see that. I adore Jacques - I find him so charming!

I will say that whoever comes up for the designs of cupcakes and tiered cakes on this show is very talented - they are always soooo cute and funny - they never fail to make me smile!

• Love 3

Laqueda from the first episode may be the most inept person this show has ever featured.  I mean, I loved her attitude, but how do you go on a baking show, even one for bad bakers--presumably with the point of trying to win--without ever having attempted to make cookies from scratch?  And then just half the number of eggs in a batter because you've decided the amount in the recipes is too much?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

She certainly was a judges favorite. I don't understand how anyone doesn't get that baking is a science and you have to follow the recipe for a reason. There are honest mistakes when you have to move quickly (tsp for tbsp comes to mind] but to right out say you are going to disobey the recipe you are in trouble. Maybe it comes from people who have a cooking background which has a lot more wiggle room.

Was she also the one with hair in her dessert? I can't remember.

What I don't get is 90% of them don't measure anything. It also seems no one ever measures extracts or flavorings, just dumps 'em in. WTF?? If they actually followed the recipes, they might actually wind up with something edible.

• Love 1

I thought it was pretty cool in the "History in the Baking" episode that they split the prize among all three of the contestants who all seemed pretty nice.   The guy with the Beyonce obsession was borderline annoying but still sweet.   Plus he had a great zinger at the end after they announced they all won saying "it's more fun to Nail It with other people".... why yes it is...*LOL*.

I was seriously crushing on office manager Thara in the "Paranormal Pastries" episode and his "crush" on Nicole was cute as well.

Edited by Meedis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/20/2021 at 8:34 AM, Ms Lark said:

What I don't get is 90% of them don't measure anything. It also seems no one ever measures extracts or flavorings, just dumps 'em in. WTF?? If they actually followed the recipes, they might actually wind up with something edible.

I thought it was because almost everything was already measured ahead of time. I can't recall when, but I thought I saw the instructions the contestants were reading said nothing about measuring the cake mix, just something like "Put the mix in the bowl and add three eggs".

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I thought it was because almost everything was already measured ahead of time. I can't recall when, but I thought I saw the instructions the contestants were reading said nothing about measuring the cake mix, just something like "Put the mix in the bowl and add three eggs".

I think they're given a mix of the dry ingredients, but they still have to add wet ingredients like eggs, extracts, milk, etc. themselves at the right times, by the right methods and in the correct proportions. That's where things go horribly wrong.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2022 at 2:48 PM, CoderLady said:

I think they're given a mix of the dry ingredients, but they still have to add wet ingredients like eggs, extracts, milk, etc. themselves at the right times, by the right methods and in the correct proportions. That's where things go horribly wrong.

Yeah, that makes sense. How many times has a contestant decided the recipe requires too little or too many eggs, for example? 

• Love 3