Type keyword(s) to search

Nailed It! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Very excited for the premiere of this Netflix series because it appeals to me as a person whose every effort at baking something attractive has ended in failure. It's a six-episode, competitive reality series -- all episodes premiere on March 9. 

Here's an article about the show.

And the trailer:

Under the watchful eyes of an iconic cake designer, contestants decorate complicated cake pops and a bespectacled, three-tiered wedding cake.

The bakers do their best to make jelly-filled doughnuts fit for a pirate before tackling an edible tower with a princess on top.

Two daunting desserts -- a chocolate-filled "hot tub" and an open-mouthed shark cake -- have the hapless home cooks struggling to stay afloat.

A YouTube star known for her fondant work watches the bakers try to copy two of her most popular Japanese-themed cakes.

Dogged contestants are seeing double when they're asked to paint their portraits on a cookie before building an edible bust of Donald Trump.

HA! I struggled with this show because it seemed Nicole was suffering from a case of "tries-too-hardism," but in the end I wound up really liking it. Sylvia Weinstock's crazy zoom cut had me laughing out loud as did her final act of shooting the money gun at the winner. (I was half expecting them to make the contestant do a humiliating Kim Basinger 9 1/2 Weeks money crawl to pick it up but was relieved they didn't.)

I thought the contestants were refreshingly not grating (except the Karate Kid who had some moments) and if there's a S2, I am going to do everything in my power to get on this show.

Well, Sal sure was the star of this episode. The sweating! The self-deprecating humor! The lack of icing between cake layers! More sweating! The losing.

I thought that a mere two-hour window to make that shark cake was ridiculous, though probably part of the reason those cakes looked so hysterically awful. 

I think we're the only ones watching this! :-) I was actually amazed by how well the sushi cakes turned out. The criticisms were on the petty side, considering the montrosities that some of them have turned out on other episodes. 

• Love 4

Despite the numerous mistakes that Sal made, I didn't mind his cake. It didn't really look anything like the original, and didn't look tasty, but as a shark cake I was slightly impressed with his final product-especially considering all the things that he did wrong. He was really cracking me up with the microwave. 

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 1:41 PM, Giant Misfit said:

I feel like there's a discrepancy between some of the challenges. I think I could've handled the emoji cakes MUCH better than the "face cakes" for instance, and the sushi cakes appeared to be "easier" than the DT bust. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I could watch an entire show of Sylvia just walking around, drinking vodka, and saying weird crap

And stealing things.

When they showed the video of the guy's friends, am I crazy or was one of them Kevin McHale from Glee?

• Love 5

The DT bust seemed an impossible task -- though I have to say I think the girl on the far right side (I can't remember her name) totally should have won. While it did, in fact, look nothing like the subject, the final product was really good (despite looking like the crypt keeper) -- it appeared that she did carve out the cake so that it resembled shoulders. 

3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I think we're the only ones watching this! :-)

I think we might be! :) In fairness though, they all did just drop on Friday and I had to go searching for it on Netflix -- it wasn't even highlighted in the new release section. Which is ... weird! I loved the show though -- it kept me entertained and it didn't take itself seriously at all like similar shows of that ilk on Food Network. 

I did like the sushi cakes, too -- but my god. So much sugar! I assume those cakes are just decorative because I really can't imagine sitting down and eating one. And I love  cake. 

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I think we might be! :) In fairness though, they all did just drop on Friday and I had to go searching for it on Netflix -- it wasn't even highlighted in the new release section. Which is ... weird! I loved the show though -- it kept me entertained and it didn't take itself seriously at all like similar shows of that ilk on Food Network. 

I did like the sushi cakes, too -- but my god. So much sugar! I assume those cakes are just decorative because I really can't imagine sitting down and eating one. And I love  cake. 

Some of those cakes are pure works of art but I couldn't imagine eating them at all. Fondant is something that I just can't get into. Love the creative things that you can do with it, but it tastes like rubber to me. :-) I was really entertained with the show. I hope they do another season. 

• Love 5

I binged the whole season this weekend. Much like Great British Baking Show - I can have it on when my kids are hanging around and I find it interesting but they won't be annoyed or bored or seeing anything weirdly inappropriate. And my youngest really enjoyed this. When the Trump cakes came out he was belly laughing with the last one saying "It's so scary!"

At first I thought the host was a little to "try-hard" but then by the end I loved it. I liked it when the one judge left filming and she was like "This like the nailed it of TV shows." 

I also appreciated all of the Trump jokes and her taping "Former president Donald Trump" just in case. 

• Love 4
On 3/10/2018 at 3:10 AM, GaT said:

This was seriously bad.

I could only endure one episode. Sylvia Weinstock was adorable and thank goodness, since she was pretty much the only thing that kept me from tearing out my own eyeballs. Nicole was so insanely annoying! Was she directed to be as obnoxious as possible? Even the always charming Jacques Torres couldn't mitigate. I swear sometimes he looked like a hostage. Jacques. Honey. Whatever they're paying you, its not enough. Leave now. No one would blame you.

Does it get better or should I just delete it from my queue now?

1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Does it get better

I thought the episodes 2-4 were better; 5 and 6 not as much.

20 hours ago, starri said:

And stealing things.

When they showed the video of the guy's friends, am I crazy or was one of them Kevin McHale from Glee?

THAT'S who that was!  Thank you!  I knew it was someone I recognized and just couldn't place it.

• Love 1

I mean, I get that this is mostly a comedy show, but 2 hours is pretty ridic.  I'd like to see Jacques make the entire cake, start to finish, in 2 hours.  All the comments about not giving cakes enough time to cool down kind of bug me because it seems so unrealistic given the time constraint!

• Love 3

What IS that... thing?  3:39 on the first episode and I give up.  The premise was so inviting that I'll take that as a double wham, seeing there's no way to go through an episode with that screaming lady full of fake, and almost everything else full of fake.  Damn, thought I had found another nice cooking show.  :(

On 3/11/2018 at 3:32 PM, mamadrama said:

I could watch an entire show of Sylvia just walking around, drinking vodka, and saying weird crap. I am actually liking this show a lot. My husband and I binged it and we really got into it. 

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I could only endure one episode. Sylvia Weinstock was adorable and thank goodness, since she was pretty much the only thing that kept me from tearing out my own eyeballs.

Amen to that!  She was sympathetic right from the start ("I DRINK VODKA!" Hahaha!)  Alas, there's only this one shining lady to outbalance the horror of the rest.  Hello, show.  Goodbye, show.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Fondant is something that I just can't get into

Oh, yeah. Fondant is gross. Reminds me of the coating they used for the wax lips candy way back when. UGH. 

This episode lost me on the contestant selection. I was thinking this show would cast regular, everyday people like the kind I'm used to on the Great British Bake Off. And there were a handful of contestants on the previous shows who were totally normal and adorable. But here we go with the casting of three L.A.-based "perfect" women and ... no. Can't they cull people from elsewhere in this giant country who aren't so reality-show-friendly? 

Is the premise that these contestants have never baked before?  Or only used Easy-Bake Ovens?  I've watched 3 episodes, and while pretty funny I don't get why they are so clueless.  Unless that's the point?  Several of them introduce themselves as "loving to bake", but I'm not seeing even intermediate level knowledge from these folks.  Yes, they are being asked to recreate amazing cake art done by professionals in ridiculously short time allotments, but I don't think knowing how to butter &/or line a pan before dumping batter in it requires an advanced degree from Le Cordon Bleu.  

• Love 1

I may be in the minority - but I loved this show.  Binge watched the whole season this weekend (only 3 hours so not that crazy).  I liked that the contestants laughed at themselves just as much as the judges laughed with them.  Kind of reminded me of Snack Off :-)

• Love 10

I had higher hopes for this, but it was ok. I want to be Sylvia when I grow up. Nicole was at a 12, we needed her at about an 8. Jacques? Well, he was there.

If they do a second season, they're going to have to change the rule where the loser of the first round gets an advantage in the second round. Otherwise, a smart contestant is just going to intentionally throw the first round since the prize is only based on the second.

What I want to know, is what kind of directions do they receive?  Do they get actual recipes?  Does the recipe say "Grease a round cake pan with butter" and "fill half way"? Or do they just get generic directions like "bake cake" then "turn into shark"?

If it's the former, then y'all need to find a new hobby, or learn to read a recipe.  Every cake recipe I have ever seen gives very specific directions on the baking, and decorating of said cake. There is no excuse for not knowing where to put butter cream frosting, or how to stack the layers.

Edited by ajsnaves
7 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Is the premise that these contestants have never baked before?  Or only used Easy-Bake Ovens?  I've watched 3 episodes, and while pretty funny I don't get why they are so clueless.  Unless that's the point?  Several of them introduce themselves as "loving to bake", but I'm not seeing even intermediate level knowledge from these folks.  Yes, they are being asked to recreate amazing cake art done by professionals in ridiculously short time allotments, but I don't think knowing how to butter &/or line a pan before dumping batter in it requires an advanced degree from Le Cordon Bleu.  

There is a really popular memes called Nailed It.  Suer funny photos of basically what this show is:  A perfect pic of what the item is supposed to look like (like from Etsy etc) and then the pic of what they made and the caption Nailed it!

https://www.pinterest.com/mathomson/nailed-it/

I think they actually took people that have posted on the webiste to be contestants.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Knowing Nicole Byer's personality from Girl Code, I was more than happy to watch her ham it up. 

I like her on Girl Code, but not here. She needs to tone it waaay down.

• Love 1

I liked this episode best of all of them. My friend and I were laughing so hard when the contestant said to Jacques Torres, "We're both chocolatiers!" and then they showed side-by-side comparisons of his work to hers. Oh my gosh, we laughed so much we had to rewind and watch that part again and laugh some more.

I thought this whole thing was a spoof, but

Spoiler

the last four eps weren't as much fun as this one and apparently it's for reals.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, EdnasEdibles said:

I also appreciated all of the Trump jokes and her taping "Former president Donald Trump" just in case. 

That part was great. Of course they gave the win to the dummy with her boobs hanging out all over. She clearly was a lousy baker when she didn't even put flour in her cake to start with. They didn't even like her cake! I'm sure she'll be hearing from her hero tho...

On 3/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Giant Misfit said:

though I have to say I think the girl on the far right side (I can't remember her name) totally should have won. While it did, in fact, look nothing like the subject, the final product was really good (despite looking like the crypt keeper) -- it appeared that she did carve out the cake so that it resembled shoulders. 

Totally agree. This series started out high and went into a downward spiral as it went along. Final ep wasn't even that funny.

• Love 2
On 3/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, Giant Misfit said:

The DT bust seemed an impossible task -- though I have to say I think the girl on the far right side (I can't remember her name) totally should have won. While it did, in fact, look nothing like the subject, the final product was really good (despite looking like the crypt keeper) -- it appeared that she did carve out the cake so that it resembled shoulders. 

I agree. The red around the eyes looked like a style choice, not a mistake. The thing was creepy but based on the way she was talking, the creepiness was a choice. The suit did look very well done and the cake was the only one they liked the taste of, minus the hair problem.

• Love 4

I loved it. I think this show is hilarious! I had never seen Nicole before but she won me over really quickly. I also really enjoyed her rapport with Jacques. My biggest complaint is that Sylvia was only in the first episode. She is easily the best guest judge.

• Love 15

Is a piping set the same price point as a stand mixer? It seemed they ran out of money for the last episode! Maybe Sylvia stole too many pans!

My sister has been friends with Jay since college, so I wish he had been on more.

Edited by biakbiak

I loved the show too. I wish that Sylvia was a permanent host, she was hilarious. I thought Nicole was channeling Oprah in some of her over the topness which I found funny. I watched 5 of the 6 episodes, and I'll watch a 2nd season. The title is what got me. Despite being a 7+ year Netflix subscriber, they don't send me a notice of new shows. 

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 8:03 PM, Ms Lark said:

I liked this episode best of all of them. My friend and I were laughing so hard when the contestant said to Jacques Torres, "We're both chocolatiers!" and then they showed side-by-side comparisons of his work to hers. Oh my gosh, we laughed so much we had to rewind and watch that part again and laugh some more.

I thought this whole thing was a spoof, but

Hide contents

the last four eps weren't as much fun as this one and apparently it's for reals.

I don’t get Netflix but had heard about this show so when I went to visit my family in Florida we binge-watched all episodes.  I agree this was the best episode by far.  We were all hysterical, especially when Amanda called a freeze on the other contestants and shuffled her way to the pantry and used up her entire 3 minutes there.  

I loved this show. Binge watched the entire season.  Its a show best watched if you don’t take it seriously, in which case just sit back and have fun.  I loved watching Jacques Torres’ expressions.  I could almost imagine the judges and contestants having a couple of drinks before filming the show.  

• Love 2