Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Single, Fat and Crazy

• Start Topic

Good grief, Heather. Buddy delivers pizza part time and is uncomfortable every place he lives. Move on, woman.

I really hope she secretly has a great new boyfriend and is only pining away for Buddy on the show to get a paycheck. Otherwise, girl needs help. 

• Love 19
4 hours ago, silverspoons said:

My husband wondered if Glenn's hearing aid was staged? I have spent way too much time at the audiologist with my son and I have never seen then have a family member test and score someone? My guess was he already had the hearing aid and the day was staged. The parents seem to be the most loved cast members and I guess they need a story besides listening to Whitney whine. While I do enjoy her parents , they need o do something fast to get her to be less dependent on them.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of what happens on this show is staged, but Glenn's appointment and test for the hearing aid went very much like my mother's (who FINALLY got hearing aids after needing them for years, it's much more pleasant around the house now, lol). I read the words for both my mother and aunt (whose hearing was even worse) and helped score them, along with the doctor, so it's not unheard of.

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I have a single female relative that adopted a baby girl from China over 25 years ago.  She had also donated a kidney and currently only has one.  Just went through the proper channels and went to China to bring the child home.

China changed the rules now and a single woman wouldn't be approved there anymore.  It went from one of the easiest countries to adopt in to one of the hardest.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

I hate this goddam show. 

I thought I was 100% over it because I unfollowed the forum and took it off my DVR, but I still came here to read the comments so apparently I haven't totally cut the cord.  However, hearing about the episode from everyone here might be the final push I need.  Crossing my fingers.  She really is one miserable bitch, and it's not because she's fat.

• Love 16

You guys, I think I might be tapping out on this show. I watched I Am Jazz and the DVR picked up the preview of Whitney and Buddy kissing and my stomach turned at the sight of it. Then I saw that this episode is two hours long. I have zero ambition to watch it. I will keep snarking with you guys here because I LOVE YOU ALL (Happy new year by the way!), so don't worry, you can't get rid of me that easily :-P Also maybe by my not watching, TLC will cancel the show. Maybe I was putting this shit over the top for viewership, LOL.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, minamreeka said:

China changed the rules now and a single woman wouldn't be approved there anymore.  It went from one of the easiest countries to adopt in to one of the hardest.

China is all but closed to everyone now with the exception of adopting special needs and older children. Actually, most countries are very difficult now which is why intercountry adoptions have slowed dramatically in the last ten years. Guatemala and some African countries also had huge adoption programs that are now closed or all but closed, largely due to concerns about child trafficking and abduction.

While I agree Whit is a brat and has a lot going against her, on some level I can understand being frustrated with the news. As someone with a physical disability (not involving weight), I know how horrible it is when broad assumptions are made based on stereotypes rather than on an individual basis.  And as a mental health professional, I feel the same about the sweeping assumptions that are made about those diagnoses. That's not to say I think Whit should go in demanding a child like she's entitled to one, but I just think these things need to be decided on a case by case basis because there are too many individual variables that come into to play when determining whether someone with a medical or mental health condition is or is not capable of something like parenting. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I agree that stereotypes are horrible and shouldn't be the basis for assessing who will be a good parent and who won't. That's not exactly what is happening however in adoption assessments.

For one thing, it's important to remember that other cultures view mental illness (including what's considered pretty garden variety depression in the U.S.) differently than we do. Despite the ongoing stigma associated with mental illness in the US and the relative lack of medical resources, the US is still better educated and resourced around mental health than many other countries. In other words, in China or Korea, for example, there may be fewer resources for people even with relatively treatable conditions, so the impacts of those conditions are more strongly felt.  Weight and obesity are also viewed culturally very differently in Asian cultures, accurately or not, for better or for worse.

More significantly with regard to adoption decisions, though, it's largely a numbers game. Take China, for example. The program became enormously popular - so much so that China found itself with more prospective adoptive parents than it could manage. In layman's terms, they could afford to set very strict standards for adoptive parents because they had a huge pool from which to choose. There was no need for them to invest the resources (or in reality, trust the word of the American adoption agencies doing the assessing) in making case by case determinations of prospective adoptive parents who didn't meet their platinum standards - they could (and did) place their children with families who met the highest criteria. It wasn't necessarily their way of saying that people who couldn't check every box wouldn't make excellent parents - it was simply that they had finite numbers of children (and resources to process adoptions) so they could narrow their adoptive parent pool to these standards.

So adopting a Korean child was her fall back position. Lovely

To be fair, adoption in general is often not someone's first choice and adoption from outside the U.S. is often a second choice to adoption in the U.S.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Yes it's certainly understandable that she'd be frustrated with the news.  What's not understandable is that she has had the idea of Korean adoption for a long time, but yet had apparently done nothing to find out even the most basic requirements.  And if it's the case that IRL, she actually had already found this information out years ago but wanted to have an episode to do some exposing of what she considers to be fat-shaming, then double shame on her for not using the intervening years, and her platform and her resources, to put herself in a position of all-around health and improved mobility as a true empowerment model, rather than the pseudo empowerment that she espouses in HAES.

Agree. Whitney always acts like it’s the first time she’s heard something in regards to information she should already be familiar with. Then come the predictable tears. 

Yeah  Whitney’s happy. Sure. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, minamreeka said:

I’m sure your correct about that.  It was a long time ago and they were adopting out many of the females at that time.

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

China is all but closed to everyone now with the exception of adopting special needs and older children. Actually, most countries are very difficult now which is why intercountry adoptions have slowed dramatically in the last ten years. Guatemala and some African countries also had huge adoption programs that are now closed or all but closed, largely due to concerns about child trafficking and abduction.

This is very sad. Then what becomes of all the children in orphanages that have been abandoned and need a loving home?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mothra said:

We do see her with a lot of milky-looking drinks, in jumbo cups, which I'm assuming are lattes or something (not into designer coffee beverages).  If that's her taste in consumables, I'd guess her daily diet consists of a lot of sweet, bland foods--she's a whiny baby, so it's fitting that she would love baby food.

I noticed when she was talking to her new trainer, that she mentioned, as progress, that she is eating two meals a day now (as in, that's good, because it's up from presumably one, like she tries to claim that she does).  I would absolutely believe that she doesn't consider all the other assorted things that she eats, to be actual calories that count, and envisions herself as one of those people who really only eat once a day.  So she now considers that she is doing something healthy and brag-worthy by eating two meals a day.  But I don't believe for a second that she is eating two healthy meals, nor that she is giving up her assorted calorie bombs throughout the day.  

• Love 18

I think Heather knows there is some sort of "thing" between Whitney and Buddy, and by talking about him she's trying to get Whitney to a) see him in a bad light and lose interest and/or b) come clean about whatever it is between them.  Neither of which will happen.  Whitney's an opportunist and doesn't give a flying F about Heather.  I feel like Buddy has always been a source and a fallback for male attention for Whitney, which neither will ever admit.  He doesn't want her for a girlfriend, but he'll take her attentions when he needs an ego boost.  They are equally insufferable.  I don't blame Heather for continuing to talk about him - I get it.  Something's rotten in Denmark.  We see you Buddy and Whitney (we've seen you for years).

• Love 11

This is very sad. Then what becomes of all the children in orphanages that have been abandoned and need a loving home?

In China, adoption became much more acceptable so many of the children who might previously have been adopted by families in other countries are adopted by Chinese families.

In other countries, various things happen. Some have built their foster care systems and orphanages to provide better care for children or stronger support for families. Part of what caused the closure of adoption in Guatemala is that many of the children being placed for adoption were stolen from the bio families - either outright or the families had placed them in an "orphanage" to ensure that they had necessities the family could not afford - but they maintained relationships with the children and had not consented to them being adopted. 

And unfortunately there are some children who need families that don't get them. That is a sad reality of being born in a relatively poor nation.

• Love 2

I loooove Todd. Talking about Witneys big idea of taking the dance class on the road. He said she has no idea how much work that entails because all she does is lay on the sofa and pet her cats all day! LOL, tell it, Todd!He gives her no slack what so ever while Tal is the complete opposite. Oh, sure, Whit. You want to have a baby? I will live here with you for the rest of my life and help take care of the baby! Whaaaat? I'm beginning to wonder about the sanity of Tal now. 

• Love 24
7 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Maybe it is a TLC thing about wanting their stars to be victims of the  adoption system. All I could think of when Whitney said focused only on the BMI issue with adopting was when the My 5 wives Rhonda complained tha adoption agencies were against polygamists. Rhonda they were not against polygamist, maybe it was because your spiritual  husband had 25 kids and a failing business that they were not considering your application. Just like Whitney could get married and lose 200 lbs and it would not wipe away depression history.

These countries have rules and it is their right to make their own rules. I wanted to adopt from China and my medical history had what they felt was a heart condition (it is actually a genetic vascular condition), even though I was healthy , had 4 empty bedrooms and extra income, they do not let people with my "heart condition" apply. I could have been sad but I just found other avenues. I had a friend stationed in GA (close to SC Whitney) and she adopted a child very quickly. There was an urgent need for adoptive parents who were open to a baby of any race and some or one with health issues. Before I could get to GA, Our local school  contacted me and we ended up taking in 4 local children over the next 6 years who needed temporary homes. It was not what I ever thought I would do but it was some of the best family memeories and rewarding times of my life. 

I can bet Whitney wants some perfect newborn delivered to her doorstep on a specific day. Ugh! 

I think you've nailed it. There are countries my partner and I can't adopt from because we're gay, and that sucks, but if we wanted a kid we'd find another way. (Fortunately we don't want kids, so it's not an issue for us, but it is for others.) Hell, there are countries we can't even visit--we spent hours yesterday researching which countries were LGBT-friendly enough for our honeymoon. (Some EU countries put the US to shame in that regard.) But it's their kids, their culture, their rules, like the adoption advocate said. Adoption is not about finding perfect children for wannabe parents, it's about finding the perfect family for an otherwise homeless child. How horrible that people can't always see that.

You all need to stop referring to her as Mt. Whitney. That is so horribly offensive. Mt. Whitney is a beautiful landmark that is typically only visited and climbed by athletic, goal-oriented people. 

• Love 17
On 12/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, Irate Panda said:

eta Whitney acted “surprised”....Buddy acted like “a check is a check”

Buddy must really want that pay check to be going there. I hope TLC upped the pay for the storyline but Buddy will most likely waste it on booze and blow.    I cannot believe they are pandering to the Twit followers with this storyline.

As for Twitney wanting a child.  Personally I don't think she wants a child.  Or if she does, she wants a child like people want a puppy.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, SenshusWoman said:

After those two hours I can never get back, I will say that this season reeks of Whitney and her Barnacles desperately clawing at the last remaining straws of TLC Z-list relevancy and I FUCKIN' LOVE IT

I am here for all the bullshit but I am especially here for Todd and his snark

• Love 22
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I noticed when she was talking to her new trainer, that she mentioned, as progress, that she is eating two meals a day now (as in, that's good, because it's up from presumably one, like she tries to claim that she does).  I would absolutely believe that she doesn't consider all the other assorted things that she eats, to be actual calories that count, and envisions herself as one of those people who really only eat once a day.  So she now considers that she is doing something healthy and brag-worthy by eating two meals a day.  But I don't believe for a second that she is eating two healthy meals, nor that she is giving up her assorted calorie bombs throughout the day.  

You know, I missed that part, and you're right--it's ridiculous to count number of meals/day as somehow equivalent to number of calories/day.  I'd like to know how many calories are in those lattes or whatever they are and how many of them she puts away daily.  Plus, as you say, she probably isn't counting her non-meal intake as food.  She needs to cut out between-meal calories and spend those calories wisely three times a day.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Maybe a Designated Watcher like a designated driver, where we take turns "taking one for the team" LOL

Yes, that's what I had in mind, considering how painful it has become to watch this show.  I couldn't watch last night and I may not watch in the future.  Besides, Twit spilled the beans on all the plot lines and they're all SO BORING.  How could TLC let her get away with this?

• Love 5

Infertility is up in the US and many other developed countries.  A contributing reason is all the active cell phones in hip pockets and laptops placed on laps.  This may be promoting adoptions from outside the US.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Yes, that's what I had in mind, considering how painful it has become to watch this show.  I couldn't watch last night and I may not watch in the future.  Besides, Twit spilled the beans on all the plot lines and they're all SO BORING.  How could TLC let her get away with this?

I stopped watching last season. I enjoy the comments of this group much better than I enjoy the show. I simply could not take anymore of her. Also, I am very much into animal rights and welfare and the adoption of that pig, the life it lead, and the predictable outcome for a storyline in show featuring a worthless human being was the last straw for me.

I have a feeling a lot of people quit watching because the number comments on this forum after an airing of a show has decreased substantially.

• Love 15

Unpopular opinion here: I feel Whitney has been a little more level-headed in her talking heads for this episode, it was nice to see. (not a complete turnaround and not all of the THs, but an improvement nonetheless)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I loooove Todd. Talking about Witneys big idea of taking the dance class on the road. He said she has no idea how much work that entails because all she does is lay on the sofa and pet her cats all day! LOL, tell it, Todd!He gives her no slack what so ever while Tal is the complete opposite. Oh, sure, Whit. You want to have a baby? I will live here with you for the rest of my life and help take care of the baby! Whaaaat? I'm beginning to wonder about the sanity of Tal now. 

I could not agree more with this!  I think that in many ways, Todd reflects what a lot of us who have been watching since the beginning think.  In the video that brought the two of them to our attention, I saw Todd as someone that saw past Twit’s size and supported her dancing for all the right reasons.  The show and all the attention that followed either turned her into the horse’s ass we know now or uncovered it from where it had been lurking all along.  I think Todd is just as tired of it now as we all are and he’s rethinking his ability to be the barnacle she needs in order to collect a pay check.  Either that, or the network has designated him as the bad guy for this season.  The unsupportive downer that contrasts to all the other fawning “yes” men/women.  Frankly, this Todd is a breath of fresh air and I love him too.

When this show finally finishes circling the drain, I would love to see Todd get a spin-off where he starts his own dance program for people who need him most; folks who need his encouragement and work ethic to step out of their comfort zone and dance.  Dance for fitness, for fun, for artistic expression.  He could take that show on the road with the network’s help, and he could take Maddie (is that the trans gal who was disappointed in the lack of focus by Twit?) with him!  I’d watch that show, as it would be more like what I thought I was getting with this show to begin with.

• Love 16
48 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Infertility is up in the US and many other developed countries.  A contributing reason is all the active cell phones in hip pockets and laptops placed on laps.  This may be promoting adoptions from outside the US.

Nothing is promoting adoptions from outside the US - they are trending way down and have been for years.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Nothing is promoting adoptions from outside the US - they are trending way down and have been for years.

OK, but infertility is up in the US.  If that isn't promoting more adoptions then maybe more people don't want kids?  I never did (gave my quota away to quite a few people who would have been much better parents).

3 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

THIS is (one of many reasons) why she’s not ready to be a parent. She doesn’t even understand basic eating patterns. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Brooks said:

A more likely factor is women postponing marriage and childbearing into their 30s. If you wait until you're 30 to marry, then wait anouther 4-5 years before you try to conceive, you'll have more difficulty than if you marry at 21..... 

• Love 21
1 minute ago, Colleenna said:

A more likely factor is women postponing marriage and childbearing into their 30s. If you wait until you're 30 to marry, then wait anouther 4-5 years before you try to conceive, you'll have more difficulty than if you marry at 21..... 

This is  definitely the case. 

• Love 8

Random thoughts:

Best moment was the shot of Whitless’s cat-makeup face when she denied being too immature to adopt a baby. She was eating cupcakes with pics of her cat in them. In a cat cafe. Wearing cat stuff. But she’s mature. 

Heather. Honey. In an episode that focuses on whether Whitless is adequate to the role of parent, there you sit, one year post breakup, NOT counting your blessings that YOUR MINOR KIDS dodged a bullet called Buddy the Pizza Delivery Boy Bartender Addict. 

Anyone who’s watched a weight-loss show or read/heard about why a mom decided to lose weight has seen countless stories that go like this: “I had my epiphany when I realized I couldn’t play with/go on rides with my kids/discovered that my kids were teased because I’m so fat/was told by the doctor that I wouldn’t live to see my child get married or be a parent.” A parent’s BMI of 67 is a burden on a child.

Witless's BMI of 67 is a burden on everyone close to her already. She’s waxing thoughtful about her aging parents but it sure looks like Hunter will actually be the one who’s physically and emotionally there to do the necessary work for Babs and Glenn as they age, whilst Whitless “tours” and leaves them to drive themselves places. (Yes, I’m suggesting she’s bullshitting about how much she does for them.)

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed people of Korean descent right here in ‘Merica? Shop locally, Whitless. 

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Witless's BMI of 67 is a burden on everyone close to her already. She’s waxing thoughtful about her aging parents but it sure looks like Hunter will actually be the one who’s physically and emotionally there to do the necessary work for Babs and Glenn as they age, whilst Whitless “tours” and leaves them to drive themselves places. (Yes, I’m suggesting she’s bullshitting about how much she does for them.)

Absolutely!!!!! She doesn’t do anything for them. When there is a potential situation with her parents, she swoops in yelling at them and waving her ham hock arms around but practical help and support - not from Whitney. She’s a taker. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I feel like Buddy has always been a source and a fallback for male attention for Whitney, which neither will ever admit.  He doesn't want her for a girlfriend, but he'll take her attentions when he needs an ego boost.  They are equally insufferable.

They are partners-in-crime, or to put it more succinctly:  they enable each other.

Of course they each have great affection for their slovenly, slobby, lazy, whiny, food-obsessed, depressed brother/sister from another mother.  As long as they have each other, they are safe to bask in the non-judgemental warmth of their alter ego.  There is no need to join the real people in the real world while they give each other permission to not try.

Buddy won't get better  with Whitney in his life.  I don't think she would be supportive of him losing weight, staying clean and being happy and healthy.  If he did, she wouldn't have her fat buddy, Buddy, anymore.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Brooks said:

OK, but infertility is up in the US.  If that isn't promoting more adoptions then maybe more people don't want kids?  I never did (gave my quota away to quite a few people who would have been much better parents).

The number one predictor of how many children a woman will have is her level of education. As education increases, number of children decreases. This is coupled with the fact that education and career establishment takes time, and women delay reproduction  during their more fertile years. Fertility declines with age in women much more rapidly than men.

Whitney's fertility is absolutely affected by her age, weight, and PCOS. She is - at this point - nearly 35 years old which is considered to be advanced maternal age. Even if she were healthy, she would be less fertile than she was ten years ago.

• Love 16

here is my armchair psych evaluation on this level of disfunction.  I think these people are really just not awear of it, but I am sure a lot of people have similar issues, just not as bad, not in such denial,  and not on national tv.

Last season was rock bottom for everyone's story arc. whit man issues, health 5k, fittness marshall career etc, buddy we know that situation,  heather single again rock bottom, didn't hunter move home because of addiction issues or was it to care for the parents.  I also suspect if the behavior of Glenn is any account at family gatherings, he is a closet drinker as is whitney. 

People tend to live in denial until shit hits the fan that makes them re-evaluate things. ie  last season avi-gate, buddy-pocalypse, hawaii death march, fittness marshall fiasco.  To add to this there other people who are being successful leaving whitney behind,  ashley lost weight which grabned her a baby and a man. And now you can't adopt a white or asian baby that your parents still won't be pleased with. heaven for bid you come home with a foster kid or a black or latino. Rock bottom.  What else has to happen to move forward with her 

Edited by Kentuckydaisy
  • Love 7

I'm not buying Whitney and Todd's "ride or die" friendship, no matter how many times Whitney waxes poetic about it. He's constantly insulting her, and saying what the rest of us are thinking.

That "kiss" with Buddy was guffaw-worthy. Yeah, they're clearly burning with passion for each other. And Whitney kept bringing up Buddy to Heather (even though Heather had asked her not to) because she wants to poke the wound. She WANTS Heather to think there's something going on between them. Great friend there. And don't even get me started on Heather pining away for Buddy a year later! Get over him already!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Brooks said:

Active cell phones and laptops near the nether regions do affect fertility, at least temporarily, in both males and females.  So it's increasingly part of the problem.

Wish I had known that before menopause.  I would’ve had them strapped to my abdomen 24/7!!!!  I never wanted kids either! And frankly, I’m not sure that she does either. As someone else said, she thinks it’s a puppy. It’s a nice idea but it’s a lot of work she would soon find out.

If her mother were younger and in better health, her mother would end up raising it. Just like she ended up with the dog that was dying of cancer.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Katydid said:

My cousin and her husband adopted their son from S. Korea and she had to lose 50 pounds before they would consider her. She was nowhere near Whitney's size and had no health issues.

While I agree Whit is a brat and has a lot going against her, on some level I can understand being frustrated with the news. As someone with a physical disability (not involving weight), I know how horrible it is when broad assumptions are made based on stereotypes rather than on an individual basis.  And as a mental health professional, I feel the same about the sweeping assumptions that are made about those diagnoses. That's not to say I think Whit should go in demanding a child like she's entitled to one, but I just think these things need to be decided on a case by case basis because there are too many individual variables that come into to play when determining whether someone with a medical or mental health condition is or is not capable of something like parenting. 

Edited by Donut Bear
8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

You guys, I think I might be tapping out on this show. I watched I Am Jazz and the DVR picked up the preview...

Is there a good, snarky place to talk about I Am Jazz?

6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I wouldn't be surprised if "I don't eat all day" means "I wake up at noon, drink 600+ calorie Starbucks drinks until 8:00, then binge eat junk food."

• Love 9

did anyone else notice buddy seemed to be slurring his words to entire time of the kiss.  it was concerning.  Is this fake for the show or does she have a disorder that is private because it's kinda sad that she is so desperate for affection and approval from men (or daddy issues) that this means so much she seriously though it ment something.  I smell production involvement here

I also think this kid picks unavailable men on purpose due to so called daddy issues. ie Gay boyfiend, Lennie, Henchi, Avi, Buddy. she sees dad as perfect not as a real imperfect human being.  not un common.  it is just there is a point when you have to stop wearing men repellent shirts that say weights before dates, and I need more space.  these are not good positive mantras in sink into your subconscious. there is fear of rejection and intimacy issues here I hope this life assistant can sort out.  I suspect the real reason the person is there is to help her kick the bottle. it explains weight loss quick with little effort and might have been thrust upon them as the only way to keep buddy in her life again or production was like u fools are canceled because sober up or we can't afford robert downy Jr level production insurance on a road trip risking u getting a dui on a road trip.

Also it is good and fine to be an financially independent woman but you can't treat guys like u don't need them, believe it or not men can be insecure especially among the millennial generation even if they try to hid it. You have to learn to build each other up. that car ride with the parents had a lot of tearing each other down.  it's not all about your needs baby 100% but teamwork.  I get parents are unreasonable demanding at times but we have to learn what is positive and good for us ourselves and what is just them using their kids as a reflection of their own desires we want you to do this for us, it's your job to have grandkids.   great way to make someone self esteem feel like unadaquite there. I think this whole family is kinda self centered, that ride to the ear doctor was wow, just wow, how can you treat each other like such shit.   it reminds me of the alchoolic family members we do not talk to for this reason. God bless this life assistant. 

• Love 7