Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files in the Media

I liked the second movie quite a bit. But I also love thrillers and prefer the MOTW standalone stories. I think my first experience with IWTB helped, too—I watched IWTB and FTF before I watched most of the TV show. Since I had no real expectations about what would happen or what would be resolved, there was no disappointment. I'm still really fond of both movies for this reason.

If they screw this up, I'll just pretend that it didn't happen. I do that a lot with this show ;)

Nice way of going about it! :) There are some things that I pretend don't exist in the show too.

I look at IWTB as an extended MotW episode, the same way that I look at FtF as a two hour mytharc episode.  They're both good for that reason (though FtF is much better LOL).

Yea FTF was better in regards to how it handled the story in some part. IWTB got the characterization to a point. Both movies have their pluses and minuses.

Just found this nice typo in this Mirror article about the reboot: Gillian has been wowing fans on The Fall in the UK, while David has been busy on Californication and new drama Aquariums.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/x-files-coming-back-mulder-5000711?ICID=FB_mirror_main

I didn't know that he was going to be in a show about that :P XD.

IMDB has updated! This is somewhat of a surprise tbh.

After listening to GA's podcast, I have to say, this is so happening. She seems very eager to do it and the news of (the possibility of) the reboot is being picked up by more and more media in the US and abroad every day.

Since I'm not part of the social media circus, is there anything twitterless people can do to make some noise? Are any of the old fan sites active enough to start from there?

After listening to GA's podcast, I have to say, this is so happening. She seems very eager to do it and the news of (the possibility of) the reboot is being picked up by more and more media in the US and abroad every day.

Since I'm not part of the social media circus, is there anything twitterless people can do to make some noise? Are any of the old fan sites active enough to start from there?

Haven is still around. Still pretty active. But Twitter seems to be the most active. Facebook is ok as well.

Thanks, AntiBeeSpray. I wonder if my old Haven account is still active.

Just waded through a couple of Twitter hashtag pages. I really don't have a clue, but it seems to me the whole thing is gaining more and more momentum.

Thanks, AntiBeeSpray. I wonder if my old Haven account is still active.

Just waded through a couple of Twitter hashtag pages. I really don't have a clue, but it seems to me the whole thing is gaining more and more momentum.

You're welcome, kbs.

Yea it took me some time to get the hang of it.

More possible /facepalm brought to us via CC and FOX:

That in and of itself may prove to be problematic and contrary to some reports this revival is not a done deal. Fox insiders are reluctant to say much of anything on the record, but I hear that Walden & Newman’s comments that talks are at an “early stage” may have been something of an understatement.

Discussions between Chris Carter’s camp and Fox have been taking place, off and on, over the past few months but aren’t remotely close to closing, with the two “far apart” on an agreement. That said, both sides are said to be optimistic about reaching a deal in the coming weeks/months.

Source: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/01/x-files-reboot-revival-whos-coming-back-really-happening-heres-know/

What in the world could they be SO far apart on that it's taken so long? More bull on both sides. And given certain things, I'm not sure if things will come to fruition. -_- They figure it'll be by 2017. And by then my give a damn will just about be run out.

Maybe they want him to increase his lighting budget and he's resisting.

Haha! Too funny!

They figure it'll be by 2017. And by then my give a damn will just about be run out.

I really hope it doesn't take that long. They have to take advantage of the momentum that has been built up recently and at least make some measured progress by this summer so people continue to have some excitement and anticipation about this happening, even if it's just announcing whether or not they'd bring back any of the old writers or actors (besides David and Gillian).

• Love 2

I agree about the timeline for progress, but if it turns out a limited-run series is, in fact, going to be done, I wouldn't want them to rush to make air.  I'd rather CC and crew (and, please universe, let him get plenty of other creative minds from the old days involved) take the proper time to conceptualize what they want to do with that self-contained arc.  If this thing was greenlit today, I wouldn't want it shoved onto the fall '15 schedule even if the actors were magically available. 

The nine-episode Twin Peaks project got the go-ahead last fall, and that's not going to air until 2016, which I find an appropriate timeline.  I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited, because so far they're doing everything right to ensure it comes off as something befitting the series and worth the wait.  If XF is going to pop up again (on the small or big screen), it needs to do so in a way that redeems the franchise after the performance of IWTB (and pushes the inevitable remake many years into the future).  That takes time on top of all the negotiating and scheduling.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I agree about the timeline for progress, but if it turns out a limited-run series is, in fact, going to be done, I wouldn't want them to rush to make air.  I'd rather CC and crew (and, please universe, let him get plenty of other creative minds from the old days involved) take the proper time to conceptualize what they want to do with that self-contained arc.  If this thing was greenlit today, I wouldn't want it shoved onto the fall '15 schedule even if the actors were magically available. 

The nine-episode Twin Peaks project got the go-ahead last fall, and that's not going to air until 2016, which I find an appropriate timeline.  I'm a little nervous, but mostly excited, because so far they're doing everything right to ensure it comes off as something befitting the series and worth the wait.  If XF is going to pop up again (on the small or big screen), it needs to do so in a way that redeems the franchise after the performance of IWTB (and pushes the inevitable remake many years into the future).  That takes time on top of all the negotiating and scheduling.

Good point. But sadly 2017 is a long way off to a point. Who knows how long the momentum will last? I hope it'll be in 2016.

Oh I don't know, if they reach a good deal I don't think it matters if it's not out until 2017. X-Philes will still be X-Philes. A year here or there shouldn't matter. I would obviously prefer it if they can make a great product earlier, though.

Oh I don't know, if they reach a good deal I don't think it matters if it's not out until 2017. X-Philes will still be X-Philes. A year here or there shouldn't matter. I would obviously prefer it if they can make a great product earlier, though.

Good point. But I guess I'm just getting a little tired of the wait. Of any BS.

It's the same for any movie and such tbh.

I agree. As long as they get started, I don't care about the actual air date. Also, as soon as they start shooting, we'll get set reports, articles and pictures galore. And the idea of that is almost as exciting as the finished product on TV again.

• Love 2

At this point as long as we get something, then that's good enough for me because this was pretty much a pipe dream for me anyhow.

Oh, and Chris Carter, should you read this, I am willing to donate money to help pay the lighting bill.  

• Love 4

At this point as long as we get something, then that's good enough for me because this was pretty much a pipe dream for me anyhow.

Oh, and Chris Carter, should you read this, I am willing to donate money to help pay the lighting bill.  

Heck, I'd help with that and the camera angle and anti-bee bill too.

• Love 1

They trot out the idea of a revival every few years.  It never amounts to anything.   The impression I get is that Chris Carter doesn't really give a shit about it anymore.   I never get a sense that there's a driving force to bring the X-Files back.

They trot out the idea of a revival every few years.  It never amounts to anything.   The impression I get is that Chris Carter doesn't really give a shit about it anymore.   I never get a sense that there's a driving force to bring the X-Files back.

Yea that's what I'm feeling too tbh. 

I think (imo at least) that David and Gillian do. But not Chris.

Playing Devil's Advocate though: It seems as if Chris was letting us know as much as he could tell us over the past few years. Not that it means anything.

To tease fans about it isn't good either. It's definitely NOT fair to do so. If you're truly not interested anymore, then just don't do it.

I feel like something might actually happen this time. (Watch as I get proven wrong lol)

edit: strange wording

Nah. Hope you're not. Given that Fox has said something, it looks like we're waiting for Gillian (to decide about the limited series) and for Chris (writing wise).

Yea that's what I'm feeling too tbh. 

I think (imo at least) that David and Gillian do. But not Chris.

Playing Devil's Advocate though: It seems as if Chris was letting us know as much as he could tell us over the past few years. Not that it means anything.

To tease fans about it isn't good either. It's definitely NOT fair to do so. If you're truly not interested anymore, then just don't do it.

Stephen King teased a sequel to Salem's Lot for many years.   Then one day he said, "It's not going to happen.  Too much time has passed."

I don't know who owns what rights, but if Carter isn't on board maybe they can find someone else to revive the show -- J.J. Abrams comes to mind because he seems to be the go-to guy in situations like these, plus he did an okay job with Fringe.  By this point Mulder and Scully have taken on a life of their own.   They don't need Carter anymore.

And when you think about it, Carter hasn't done the franchise any favors in the later years.   Except for a few standout episodes, the final two seasons of the series were a disaster.   Then he made "I Want to Believe" which was generally considered a flop.   I liked IWTB because I'll take any excuse to reunite Mulder and Scully and because it was free of the mythology, but otherwise it was a mess.    Is he really the right guy to revive the series?   Or would it be better served by a fresh perspective?

My guess is the latter.

P.S. Carter also halfheartedly teased a "Millennium" sequel, but that never happened either.

Stephen King teased a sequel to Salem's Lot for many years.   Then one day he said, "It's not going to happen.  Too much time has passed."

I don't know who owns what rights, but if Carter isn't on board maybe they can find someone else to revive the show -- J.J. Abrams comes to mind because he seems to be the go-to guy in situations like these, plus he did an okay job with Fringe.  By this point Mulder and Scully have taken on a life of their own.   They don't need Carter anymore.

And when you think about it, Carter hasn't done the franchise any favors in the later years.   Except for a few standout episodes, the final two seasons of the series were a disaster.   Then he made "I Want to Believe" which was generally considered a flop.   I liked IWTB because I'll take any excuse to reunite Mulder and Scully and because it was free of the mythology, but otherwise it was a mess.    Is he really the right guy to revive the series?   Or would it be better served by a fresh perspective?

My guess is the latter.

P.S. Carter also halfheartedly teased a "Millennium" sequel, but that never happened either.

I wouldn't have Abrams involved tbh, he screwed up Star Trek and he's not that good as a writer/director imo.

As for NO Chris, doubt that would happen. If it did, then count on no Gillian or David. They pretty much have said over the years that they wouldn't do it without him.

• Love 1

I agree with AntiBeeSpray about Abrams.

On another note, do you think Mark Snow would come back for this? I can't imagine anyone else doing the soundtrack.  

I think so. He wanted to do the last movie, so I don't see why he wouldn't at least help out.

If Chris screws things up --> nojustno.gif

I'm only so-so about Abrams myself.   But would he be any worse than Carter?   IMHO, Carter's biggest achievement was creating the show and the characters.   As a storyteller ... he hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park since X-Files.   And even on X-Files, some of the best episodes were written by others..

lol at Fowley

I definitely agree with you that Chris Carter was never the strongest writer on the show. But I (personally) felt like Abrams took the heart out of Star Trek, and I can see the same thing happening with The X-Files. This show has a certain quirkiness to it, and I think only Chris Carter (or another writer from the original team) could capture that quirkiness.

I'm trying to remember the last time there was any heart in Star Trek. 

The problem began long before Abrams, I'm afraid.

But I know what you mean. 

At the rate we're going, though, I think the only way we'll see another new X-Files is if Johnny Depp decides it would be kitschy to play Fox Mulder.

Awww... I too like the new Star Treks.  But I still wouldn't want J.J. Abrams.  He's the idiot who said that they were going to learn from what went wrong with the X-Files and not make the same mistakes and then managed to screw up Lost WORSE than Carter screwed up X-Files.  So no.  

• Love 1

Abrams wasn't involved in Lost past the pilot (or possibly first season) though. The screw-up was on Damon fucking Lindelof. He also screw up pretty much every character in Prometheus, because apparently is really fun when every character is a complete asshole.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Abrams wasn't involved in Lost past the pilot (or possibly first season) though. The screw-up was on Damon fucking Lindelof. He also screw up pretty much every character in Prometheus, because apparently is really fun when every character is a complete asshole.

Oh, really?  I didn't know that.  I just know that an ending of a show has NEVER pissed me off like Lost did.  It's like being strung along for years, then giving no answers to all this built-up mytharc or whatever, and then be like "feelings... it's about the relationships!!!"  NO. I will NEVER rewatch that show.  NEVER.  Because all of that cool stuff was freaking meaningless.  I'm still angry years later in case you can't tell.  ;)

Me on Lost:  

mad.gif

• Love 1

Lol! I agree. The final season and especially the ending is just the absolute worst. And it does make it difficult rewatching the earlier seasons.

Abrams sold the show and directed (and possibly wrote, can't remember) the pilot but then he left for a movie career, like Mission Impossible. Lindelof and Carlton Cuse took over the running and Abrams was just listed as a the creater and maybe a bullshit producer credit. So I have no beef with Abrams and Cuse is doing good work with Bates Motel. So you can direct you anger towards Lindelof :-)

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

I'm still convinced that the writers on Lost couldn't keep track of their own plot and couldn't explain most of what they wrote, which is why they had that cop-out ending.   I'm not sure Chris Carter knew what was happening with X-Files by the end either (I mean he couldn't keep the Samantha abduction story straight in seasons 1 and 2), but at least he didn't put together some BS ending that nullified the entire series.  Not that 8 and 9 were great seasons, but at least he didn't go "Oh, it was all a dream!  hehe!"  But at least with X-Files, I could have believed it was all about the relationship b/c that's mainly why I watched.  I mean the stories are great, but in the end it was always about Mulder and Scully for me.

Sorry... now I'm all worked up..  lol.  ;)  Damn Lost.

I don't agree that the ending to Lost nullified the series, though. It was bullshit but it wasn't like it actually was a dream, or a shower fantasy like in Dallas. Do you think it was a dream or was that just an example? I'm curious now. You can always jump over to the Lost forum where we've talked about it a little :-)

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Me on Lost:  

mad.gif

HA!  Yes.  So, so much yes.

My friend convinced me to watch Lost some years after it had ended, and that was pretty much my reaction to the ending too.  He still says it's the greatest show that ever aired and I still think he's smoking crack.

I think what pissed me off the most is there was ALL THIS BUILDUP and keeping track of who knew what from where and tying together all these strings and having all these puzzle pieces and it was SO MUCH FUN and then it was SO MUCH BS.

Aaaaagggghhhhhh. 

• Love 3

I don't agree that the ending to Lost nullified the series, though. It was bullshit but it wasn't like it actually was a dream, or a shower fantasy like in Dallas. Do you think it was a dream or was that just an example? I'm curious now. You can always jump over to the Lost forum where we've talked about it a little :-)

No, I don't think that it entirely nullified the series, but for me personally it sorta did.  And I don't think Lost was a dream, that was just an example of a way that CC could have really ruined X-Files for me.  I invested a lot of mental energy and time trying to decipher what was happening on that stupid island.  And in the end I feel like their answer was that all of those details didn't matter...RELATIONSHIPS!!!!  There were no real answers given to many of the questions I had, even though they had been saying our questions would be answered.  Lost was not a show I watched for the characters/relationship.  I was 100% wrapped up in WTF is going on here... the puzzle, the mystery. That was why I loved the show.  For me, the ending and lack of answers felt like a "What have I just spent the last few years of my life on?"  "What was the point?"

• Love 2

I agree that the finale nullified the entire series, but not in the sense that it was all a dream. It rendered the whole mystery aspect of the show pointless, and for me, those aspects were the only reason I watched the show. The cop-out "it was about relationships" ending made me mad that I spent all that time watching the show and trying to figure things out when it all ended up meaning nothing. If they wanted the show to be about relationships of people stranded on the island, they didn't need to introduce any of the mysteries. But, everyone knows that no one was watching the show to see who Kate would end up with, if Shannon was Sayid's true love, etc. so it made no sense to not resolve anything and just say "they lived happily ever after, together in paradise". Bleh.

As for The X-files, I actually would have been happy if they said the last 2 seasons were just a dream. 

• Love 1

I'm only so-so about Abrams myself.   But would he be any worse than Carter?   IMHO, Carter's biggest achievement was creating the show and the characters.   As a storyteller ... he hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park since X-Files.   And even on X-Files, some of the best episodes were written by others..

I agree. To a point. He did some ok episodes at times. Requiem and Improbable are two that i liked by him. So that's why when I saw part of the After, I was SO disappointed. I was like "what happened to the writer from the X-Files?"... It was REALLY bad. Throw characters, cliches, etc., into a blender BAD.

Vince Gilligan better be involved in the reboot.  I'll also donate to his salary, in addition to the lighting budget.

He still says it's the greatest show that ever aired and I still think he's smoking crack.

Your friend is clearly wrong, because the answer is clearly X-Files.  I love Sherlock, and even it hasn't been able to displace X-Files from its #1 spot, and it's a really damn good show.

• Love 1