Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Happy New Year

23 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I loved how Corky kept on trying to interview Pence lol.

14 hours ago, AEMom said:

The old Corky would have never hidden in a men's bathroom to try and get an interview.  She's come a long way. Good for her! And being so proud carried out of Phil's by the secret service, lol.

7 hours ago, Mystery said:

Why not spend another minute talking about Corky's very good point that a policy that prohibits Pence's female staff from individual meetings, while such meetings go on with male staff, hurts their careers. 

I liked the idea but wished Corky's storyline had gotten more time and been a main plot point instead of a small subplot. It would have been great to see Corky going to great lengths to try to interview Pence, trying tactic after tactic, and showing how far she has come from her early days at FYI. 

9 hours ago, willowk said:

Did they have Christopher Rich on this year? A story with Miller Redfield would seem in order if the show returns.

Agreed. Before Avery was fired from Wolf I was sure we would find out that Miller was working for Wolf. If they bring Miller back, I want to see Miller and Avery working together on something. I want to see how Avery reacts to working with Miller. 

14 hours ago, AEMom said:

I'd like to see them bring back John Laroquette and Lauren, Avery's girlfriend.  They were great! 

Yes to John Laroquette, but I don't care about Lauren. I would love to see Avery's friends again (the ones he played video games with).

• Love 4

Oops. I forgot that this was new this week.    

I really liked this episode, clunky parts and all.  UO alert, but I like Diana and enjoyed her bonding with Miles. (She's way too hot for him but I still enjoyed it. Same with Julius - he's way too hot for Pat but since it's a sitcom and they obviously maxed out their budget with guests, okay...)  

Lawrence O'Donnell and Andrea Mitchell were fun, especially Lawrence plugging his desk charity. ($10 though, Frank?) Not complaining about the NBC folks but it did seem a little weird that there aren't any liberal-ish CBS people who could have done cameos. Or CNN, etc. 

If this is the end, I'm glad I got the chance to revisit these characters.  

• Love 9
6 hours ago, ombelico said:

He does have at least one daughter, Charlotte, who together with "Mother" wrote a book about the day in the life of the vice president from the point of view of their bunny, Marlon Bundo (which John Oliver's show then parodied in their own book, with the premise that Marlon Bundo is gay and overcomes a Pence-like stinkbug who is against gay marriage in order to marry his boyfriend, Wesley).

I laughed so hard on John Oliver's parodied. It was hilarious.

19 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Oh, yes!  There's no such thing as too much John Laroquette!

No there is not. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There are thousands of channels nowadays. 

If only there was something to watch on the thousands of channels. Sorry, just a little frustration that no matter how many channels I get or that get added there is still rarely anything on to watch.  I usually end up right back on the same five or ten channels watching reruns or go back to my DVDs. It shouldn't be that hard. There's tons of old TV shows and movies I'd love to watch. But there not on any of the channels. Or if they are then they take them off. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, magicdog said:

So would I.  I know 13 eps isn’t much time to work on certain storylines but I think TPTB blew a few opportunities here.  I kept watching hoping to see Avery’s sperm donor appear (and the emotional fireworks that might have followed) and seeing Miller again would have been nice.  In fact I wouldn’t mind a storyline in which he and Corky start dating.  I remember way back in the day they were attracted to one another (even though Corky was married at the time) and I thought there was good chemistry there.

Instead, all we got were Trump jokes.

Regarding the bolded: Murphy didn’t have a “sperm donor”; at least not in the sense she suddenly decided she wanted to get pregnant & went to a sperm bank because she didn’t have a man in her life she wanted to co-parent with. Avery’s biological father is Murphy’s ex-husband, Jake Lowenstein. He’s a fellow journalist, I think, who Murphy was married to for about a week. He came back into Murphy’s life briefly, during which time they might’ve thought about remarrying (I can’t remember for sure), & she got pregnant (& eventually decided to keep the baby & raise him/her herself, although I’m not sure she thought she was terribly maternal). Murphy originally thought the baby’s father was Jerry Gold, a competing radio-TV personality with a rather abrasive personality, who Murphy had been seeing in a “not that committed” way before Jake returned.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Murphy didn’t have a “sperm donor”

I used the term because as far as we know, Jake Lowenstein chose not to be a part of Avery's life.  His father figures were Eldin and Frank, rather than his own father.  He chose to effectively abandon Murphy and Avery because his political causes were more important to him.  To me, that makes him a sperm donor, even if he and Murphy did have a relationship of sorts prior to Avery's conception.

• Love 10
On 12/20/2018 at 8:47 PM, TomGirl said:

So many sweet moments!  Diana and Miles.  Phyllis and Jim.  Pat and Julius.  Murphy and Frank.  Murphy and Avery.  Murphy and Benny.  Lovely.

Murphy and Jim. 

Such a great way to show friendships on tv with all the guests and talks between any two characters as Tomgirl noted., ......not the snippy, dumb pointless fighting/ snarky name-calling  as among other shows and so-called friends. These people show maturity at its finest as it should be.  

I just love when Jim calls Murph, "Slugger."

What a gem of a show. Please come back.  

Benny is perfect.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 20
23 hours ago, willowk said:

Loved Murphy pestering everyone, especially Frank, as she was so worried about Avery. And liked how they mixed the danger of Afghanistan with the quirky -like there being a Starbucks in Kabul (there likely is!). The ending was a little anticlimatic as I'd seen the preview with Avery being on the couch. But was still a nice way to end the episode. My favorite part might have been Corky getting carried out of the bar with her "Women rule" proclamation. Love these characters.

There is!

• Love 8

I liked this series reboot a lot more than I expected to.   I wasn't sure it would hold up, but they did a great job and mostly worked the kinks out by the end.  Avery was a genius addition, and I hope we get to see more of his girlfriend!  Love Benny - another great addition, along with Tyne Daly.  I hope they come back for another season.

• Love 16
On 12/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, buckboard said:

Surprised how worried everyone seemed to be about Avery, since - as some have mentioned - he appeared on the couch in last week's coming attraction.

I watched the last episode On Demand, as I managed to delete it from the DVR prior to watching, and I didn't bother to sit through the coming attractions, so I had no idea Avery would be home at the end.  I thought that was going to happen, but I wasn't spoiled to it.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:03 PM, iMonrey said:

The fact that it was the only new episode to air in the CBS Thursday lineup this week strongly suggests the network is burning off what's left in the can. 

But it was only a limited, 13-episode season to start with.  I assumed they meant to run it straight through - they aired on Thanksgiving night, after all - and to run most of the episodes in the fall, then take the usual network break until January, with only two or three episodes, would have ruined the continuity and momentum they had running every week, and probably would have caused people to miss the few episodes when they ran after the new year.

17 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Yes!  I demand realism!   

You're really going to hate it when I tell you the show was shot in New York City, even though it takes place in Washington...

I really enjoyed the return - I thought it was done well, I enjoyed seeing the characters again, and I LOVE Benny!  Seeing him in his New Year's party hat was just the cutest thing!  I really hope the show returns next year, but if it doesn't, I'll be happy with what they gave us!

• Love 19

It’s been said before, but I’ll repeat it anyway: I am so proud of Corky for evolving into a woman who would hide in a men’s room to ambush Mike Pence and get carried out by the Secret Service. 

A lot of the political jokes were low hanging fruit— from Pence to Trump to Cruz— but I don’t care. I’m glad I got to share them with these characters.

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Moose135 said:
On 21/12/2018 at 9:48 PM, Tanichka said:

Yes!  I demand realism!   

You're really going to hate it when I tell you the show was shot in New York City, even though it takes place in Washington...

i·ro·ny

/ˈīrənē/

noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

"“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"

synonyms:sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism

"that note of irony in her voice"

Edited by Tanichka
15 hours ago, Panopticon said:

It’s been said before, but I’ll repeat it anyway: I am so proud of Corky for evolving into a woman who would hide in a men’s room to ambush Mike Pence and get carried out by the Secret Service. 

A lot of the political jokes were low hanging fruit— from Pence to Trump to Cruz— but I don’t care. I’m glad I got to share them with these characters.

First season way back when Corky never would have done that.  THIS Corky reminds me of First season Murphy Brown and would love the show to acknowledge it if the show gets another season.

And yeah the MAJOR drawback to the show was that it took the easy potshots.  Anyone complaining about politics doesn’t get that this was always a political show it would be like saying a procedural has too many cops and lawyers.   The issue comes when they go after los hanging fruit too often.....and this did.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

First season way back when Corky never would have done that.  THIS Corky reminds me of First season Murphy Brown and would love the show to acknowledge it if the show gets another season.

And yeah the MAJOR drawback to the show was that it took the easy potshots.  Anyone complaining about politics doesn’t get that this was always a political show it would be like saying a procedural has too many cops and lawyers.   The issue comes when they go after los hanging fruit too often.....and this did.   

Thing is, a lot of the 'low hanging fruit' make it easy to do so. (General comment) That said, I could see how too much can/could overwhelm. Still liked the jokes though.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

The issue comes when they go after low hanging fruit too often.....and this did.   

^^^

Only thing is, judging by the comments on FB and elsewhere, nuance and subtlety doesn’t seem to resonate with today’s fans.  I believe I’m the demographic they’re preaching to, and I found the show cringe-worthy.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:03 AM, iMonrey said:

I think the ratings speak for themselves and I don't think the show will be renewed. The fact that it was the only new episode to air in the CBS Thursday lineup this week strongly suggests the network is burning off what's left in the can. 

The show was always plotted and scheduled for 13 consecutive weeks.  "Burning off" implies showing a New Years Eve episode in July.  Episode 13 appeared right where it was scheduled to air. 

I think the show has a chance for another 13-episode renewal, perhaps to air during the second half of next season (Jan-Feb-March of 2020), which is in the heart of the 2020 Presidential Campaign.  Then again, not so sure the show could be written and produced in near real-time to stay updated with current events.

There are major things working against it.  It's the lowest rated CBS sitcom.  TBBT is ending, and Mom is in peril of being canned due to salary negotiation, so CBS may want to clear the slate and try a new approach.  CBS already has two renewed shows it hasnt scheduled (Man with a Plan and Life In Pieces).  And most of all, the new leadership regime at CBS.

I think there is a solid chance it will get renewed.....for CBS All Access.  I think Madame Secretary is headed there (as Madame President), so CBS might want to position Candica Bergen with Tea Leoni and Christine Baranski.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2

I thought only CBS-owned shows were on All Access?   (MB is Warner Bros.)   Not that I wouldn't like to see it find another home, it just doesn't seem too likely.  

23 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I think there is a solid chance it will get renewed.....for CBS All Access.  I think Madame Secretary is headed there (as Madame President), so CBS might want to position Candica Bergen with Tea Leoni and Christine Baranski.

I didn't like this episode as much.  I don't like Diana and her bully-like behavior, so it was a bit disappointing to see that "cliffhanger" with Miles.  They did a good job raising the tension with Avery in Afghanistan.  

• Love 1

Lovely to see Jim again!  He was such a father figure to the group.  And Corky certainly has come a long way - looking back at her stories and persona in the original series is a bit shocking!  

I hope it goes on, I really do as I have really enjoyed it and the cast has become more comfortable with each episode.  But this was a nice "wrap up" episode if it doesn't. 

A lot of "fill in" shows with limited runs just needed time to get off the ground - think Northern Exposure which went on to run 6 seasons.  The networks are way too quick to yank something before people find it or come to get familiar with it.  There are a lot of new watchers who didn't see the original version and need time to learn about the characters.  This member of the choir is keeping fingers crossed for a renewal!

Edited by Kohola3
The "ignore" feature is a wonderful option!
  • Love 12

And just like that.....it's done. 

So...as the sun sets on the reboot of MB, we have to ask whether the one-and-done season was due, in part, to the idea that it is intended for half of the country but not the other half.  Would we trade a more balanced approach at the weekly subjects for another season or are we ok with the idea that, when you exclude so many viewers, you end up cancelling the show?

I am conflicted.

1 hour ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Where did you hear/read the show was cancelled?

It's not yet, as far as I can tell, save for some unreliable posts from the same sites that posted the show was cancelled, leading Diane English to say "Not Yet".  They were all from the end of November.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, motroro said:

So...as the sun sets on the reboot of MB, we have to ask whether the one-and-done season was due, in part, to the idea that it is intended for half of the country but not the other half.  Would we trade a more balanced approach at the weekly subjects for another season or are we ok with the idea that, when you exclude so many viewers, you end up cancelling the show?

I am conflicted.

Thing is, it's not canceled.

Straight from Diane English's mouth herself:   

Diane English✔@realmurphybrown

Hi again, guys. No, we are not cancelled. But we will have to wait until spring to hear if we are renewed for another season of 13. Thank you for being such a loyal audience. We shoot episode 13 tomorrow. Meanwhile you have four more episodes to enjoy starting with tonight.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/75912-fyi-this-just-in-murphy-brown-in-the-media/?do=findComment&comment=4880700

I don't mind balanced out, but not to the point where one side or the other is treated with kid gloves. This show never did that. Never treated either side with kid gloves.

3 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

It's not yet, as far as I can tell, save for some unreliable posts from the same sites that posted the show was cancelled, leading Diane English to say "Not Yet".  They were all from the end of November.

Exactly. Glad that she's continued to speak up about it.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 7

If the show returns, I hope it gets a better time slot.  I dislike the show before it and only tolerate the other earlier shows. I prefer to watch it when it first airs and wish it was available on demand around 8pm the same day so I could watch it on my time. It would be great if all shows were on demand at the start of each evening so you could watch in your preferred order.  CBS does not put their shows on demand until about a week later.

I really like Faith Ford as an actress but never warmed up to her Corky character though it may be due to the writing for the character. Her part in the dog episode was good. I like the way she has called out Murphy on different episodes. This episode, I didn't much care for the Pence story line except for the part that women working for him find it harder to get ahead.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, motroro said:

Would we trade a more balanced approach at the weekly subjects for another season or are we ok with the idea that, when you exclude so many viewers, you end up cancelling the show?

I don't think it has to be balanced.  Political humor is fine with me.  This show was NOT funny.  Bad writing, bad acting, bad direction.  

Edited by Tanichka
21 hours ago, motroro said:

I am conflicted.

I’m not conflicted.  I’ve enjoyed the reboot, but I’d rather see it ended than see it become something it was never meant to be via false equivalency.

• Love 3
On 12/22/2018 at 6:38 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Avery’s biological father is Murphy’s ex-husband, Jake Lowenstein. 

Have I missed any scenes of Murphy and Avery discussing this? I'm curious to know if Avery is aware of his biological father's name, and if Avery has met him/spent any time with him.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Have I missed any scenes of Murphy and Avery discussing this? I'm curious to know if Avery is aware of his biological father's name, and if Avery has met him/spent any time with him.

Nothing was discussed onscreen during the reboot.

4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Nothing was discussed onscreen during the reboot.

During the original run, I don't recall Avery ever seeing his father or Murphy telling him anything about him, even after he was SORAS'd.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

During the original run, I don't recall Avery ever seeing his father or Murphy telling him anything about him, even after he was SORAS'd.

As far as I know, it’s always been Murphy & Avery as the biological family unit (counting Miles, Frank, Jim, Corky, et al, as the extended family unit). After all Avery’s name, as we were told at least twice this season when Murphy was pissed enough at him, or whatever, to invoke his full name, is “Avery Robert Brown”, with no trace of the Lowenstein name added to it.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:46 AM, madfortv said:

If the show returns, I hope it gets a better time slot.  

I will say that I wish it had it's old Monday at 9 PM time slot for sentimental reasons. I think it's one of the rare shows during its original run to never change time slots once! 

• Love 1

Finally saw the finale, it was cute and a nice way to end it. Of all the revivals, this has been the only one that has been satisfying to watch. I do hope MB gets a renewal.

A lot happened in the 20 years during the time they were off the air and I wonder if they’ll ever touch upon what happened with the other characters during that time. I would like to think in my fantasy that Corky had a child, or Frank got married/divorced at some point, but they never had a chance to dive into their personal lives yet. Miles, I would imagine was just too neurotic for anyone to handle, and remained alone.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Not4Me said:

A lot happened in the 20 years during the time they were off the air and I wonder if they’ll ever touch upon what happened with the other characters during that time. 

I could see an episode that features short flashbacks to what we missed during the 20 year gap working well, sort of like the election day episode they did during the original series. I think it would work best if it was focused on a holiday like New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, or how each character spent a birthday. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I could see an episode that features short flashbacks to what we missed during the 20 year gap working well, sort of like the election day episode they did during the original series. I think it would work best if it was focused on a holiday like New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, or how each character spent a birthday. 

They just re-ran the ep on Antenna TV where it's Phil's anniversary, and they show how Murphy and Frank met.  Love that one.  And it was well done.

• Love 3

But the wig they used for Murphy was so terrible. It was a different color, ok, I've changed hair colors over the years, and I know the 70s was those tight curls all over the head, which I have never been able to achieve, baby fine straight hair, but that wig looked thin and like straw, and as for hair that looks thin and like straw, I better shut up now.

1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

But the wig they used for Murphy was so terrible. It was a different color, ok, I've changed hair colors over the years, and I know the 70s was those tight curls all over the head, which I have never been able to achieve, baby fine straight hair, but that wig looked thin and like straw, and as for hair that looks thin and like straw, I better shut up now.

Yes, but it was 30 years ago, and still a good episode.  ; )

• Love 1