Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 7/21/2019 at 9:41 PM, sunshine23 said:

It also seemed that Antoni shared a lot more of himself this season. I really like all of the Fab 5.

I thought the same thing.  They have done such a good job getting just this great group of guys who all have chemistry with each other. It doesn't matter which two you have they all have such nice energy.  They are all so non-judgemental which I think is the most important part of this show.  Much more then their "speciality".  They all invite people to open up.  I always watch the seasons so fast.  I already want more.

• Love 6

I haven't watched the earlier seasons with this group, instead I just jumped in with Season 4. I really understand why people love this show so much. So far I've watched the first 3 episodes - Jonathan's high-school music teacher, Wesley the paralyzed community activist, and Mr. Stoner, the single Dad with the cute 10 year old girl. All of them have been enjoyable and inspiring.

I thought the first episode did a great job of highlighting how quickly arts programs get cut in schools, and what a herculean job it is to keep them running, and how much of a difference they can make in a kid's life. Public school teachers really are heroes. I thought the music teacher looked great in the end. 

Wesley really did an incredible job of turning his life around, and I thought his Mom was an amazing woman. The scene with him meeting his assailant was intense, and I was not expecting that at all. There definitely seemed to be some stuff left out. Glad they have both gone on to live more productive lives.

Stoner Dad. Poor guy was clearly struggling with depression - I really hope he continues to get help for his daughter's sake. Good lord, his house was beautiful and huge though, glad the guys were able to help him spruce it up. Antoni made me laugh so hard, because he was obsessed with the pet corgi - that totally would have been me if I'd been in that house!

Basically I want all 5 of these guys to adopt me, so that I can live in a loft with them and hang out and cook delicious food and play with their adorable Frenchie.

• Love 8
On 7/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, mmecorday said:

I loved Kenny so much! I sensed he had a lot of heartache in his life, but he seems to have a lot of people in his life who love him. It was cute how much his nieces obviously adored him.  I kind of wanted to see a makeover at the club/bowling alley too. I wonder how long those pickles had been sitting there? And he got a dog!

His relatives showed some new pics of him and his Fab dog ; )67370700_10217383747057185_5419209637524

• Love 6

A small update from Wesley. Another article said a lot of editing was done and the meeting had about 4 stops before it was a go. Karamo said he didn't want to do the episode without the meeting because it seemed unfinished.  This article shows Wesley's take and I smiled at the thought of him in a new home and how it took him 6 months to get used to it.  It was a new home in many ways and I'm sure even if was better and more useful, it felt weird to him, like he was in a different one.

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a28433572/queer-eye-wesley-hamilton-where-is-he-now/?fbclid=IwAR03wTAwL4yI4piFIP_o6ZA4EFCx1dwNaNSa74eXGqHWdAwz8scWoe0n8sA

• Love 2

I also feel like an article that was posted on FB about the farmer, that to me was the worst of the season. I know they are reaching out etc but he seemed to want it mainly for the publicity (which is fine) but the comments about not knowing gays (that he knows about) and "converting" rubbed me the wrong way. I give them credit for not answering that directly, he said something about not wanting the straight guys but I would have said, "You can't convert" and moved on, not as flowing with the "go higher" part of the show. ; )  Looking at earlier pics of him, he didn't need much of a makeover but I guess if the show brings illuminating to anyone or gives someone a smile, it did it's job.

https://decider.com/2019/07/22/queer-eye-season-4-farmer-episode/?fbclid=IwAR0oCuxs-FBckyaXw_JEfUqXgxooFZ7RS-WlKoVWrWNvFweEe14SYeYzK6s

• Love 4
(edited)

So far I Just finished Episode 6 ( The tale of two cultures) 

Deanna is gorgeous!

To me her look before the makeover wasn’t even that bad, sure her hair was a little crazy and she only shopped at stores like forever 21, but that’s common for people in the Midwest.

I would like to see Tan shop at more stores that are more realistic & affordable for these people’s budgets that they can actually use when the fab5 are gone. It looks like The shopping scenes are always at some boutique, and those places can get  pricey.  Especially for those on the show that have kids to support. They did go to Target during the first season and that was nice to watch!

Her “before” looked way better compared to past people on the show.  And her “After” was great too.  

The whole episode seemed to only focus on the Mexican issue and low key shots at trump and the government. I started to lose interest. I’m tired of hearing about politics,I don’t want it invading my tv shows too! 

Edited by Hellohappylife
I
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

So far I Just finished Episode 6 ( The tale of two cultures) 

Deanna is gorgeous!

To me her look before the makeover wasn’t even that bad, sure her hair was a little crazy and she only shopped at stores like forever 21, but that’s common for people in the Midwest.

I would like to see Tan shop at more stores that are more realistic & affordable for these people’s budgets that they can actually use when the fab5 are gone. It looks like The shopping scenes are always at some boutique, and those places can get  pricey.  Especially for those on the show that have kids to support. They did go to Target during the first season and that was nice to watch!

Her “before” looked way better compared to past people on the show.  And her “After” was great too.  

The whole episode seemed to only focus on the Mexican issue and low key shots at trump and the government. I started to lose interest. I’m tired of hearing about politics,I don’t want it invading my tv shows too! 

I'm first generation Canadian born and even *I* got tired of the whole emphasis on her "dual" culture.  Guess what? We all get it.  All of us first gens.  

Loved the Brandonn (seriously??? Two "n's"??) episode.  Watching the farmer episode now.  

• Love 2

I love this show, but when it comes down to it, so much of what they do to change the person's life involves a lot of money that no ordinary person would have access to. As mentioned above, Tan always takes them to what seem to be super high end boutiques.  Of course a custom fit suit, or even jeans and tshirts and flannels from very high end designers are going to look and feel amazing.  The products that Jonathan uses and gives them are all very spendy.  Most of all, the house makeovers that Bobby does are completely out of reach for any normal person. Just doing a kitchen renovation is a major thing that for the average person could take years to save up for.  I know there's a mental/emotional makeover too, and they learn to face fears or insecurities and go out of their comfort zone, but without those material upgrades that they're given by the show, there wouldn't be much wow factor. So that just makes me feel like ... well, I could sure use a fully renovated/decorated apartment, an expensive wardrobe, and lots of high end grooming products! I would feel like a new person too, even without having a particular "story" or obstacle that I need to overcome.  All the makeovers are inspiring and the guys are great, but you can't discount the fact that having plenty of money to throw around makes ANYONE's life a heck of a lot easier and more pleasant.  And we can't all be on a TV show.  It's a fairy tale, not a realistic reflection of how the average person might be able to change their life. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 7/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, palmaire said:

If I missed it I apologize, but it looked like they took away Kenny's microwave. I can't get behind heating convenience store wrapped sandwiches, but come on. The guy needs an easy way to fix a can of soup.

When they did a panoramic shot of the kitchen you can see it - they just moved it to the side of the entry way.

I really loved the Kenny episode.  I think it highlights how well these guys actually read people.  And they got him a dog!!!!

I'm loving that we are getting more of Antoni this season ( I may be biased but his dog love is hitting me so hard).  

• Love 9
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I also feel like an article that was posted on FB about the farmer, that to me was the worst of the season. I know they are reaching out etc but he seemed to want it mainly for the publicity (which is fine) but the comments about not knowing gays (that he knows about) and "converting" rubbed me the wrong way. I give them credit for not answering that directly, he said something about not wanting the straight guys but I would have said, "You can't convert" and moved on, not as flowing with the "go higher" part of the show. ; )  Looking at earlier pics of him, he didn't need much of a makeover but I guess if the show brings illuminating to anyone or gives someone a smile, it did it's job.

https://decider.com/2019/07/22/queer-eye-season-4-farmer-episode/?fbclid=IwAR0oCuxs-FBckyaXw_JEfUqXgxooFZ7RS-WlKoVWrWNvFweEe14SYeYzK6s

I came here to basically say the same thing. He irritated me so much. He made the “joke” about the “five gay guys” about 5 or 6 times. It wasn’t funny the first time and definitely wasn’t funny the last time. Also, the “convert” comment. My jaw dropped. 

6 minutes ago, iggysaurus said:

I love this show, but when it comes down to it, so much of what they do to change the person's life involves a lot of money that no ordinary person would have access to. As mentioned above, Tan always takes them to what seem to be super high end boutiques.  Of course a custom fit suit, or even jeans and tshirts and flannels from very high end designers are going to look and feel amazing.  The products that Jonathan uses and gives them are all very spendy.  Most of all, the house makeovers that Bobby does are completely out of reach for any normal person. Just doing a kitchen renovation is a major thing that for the average person could take years to save up for.  I know there's a mental/emotional makeover too, and they learn to face fears or insecurities and go out of their comfort zone, but without those material upgrades that they're given by the show, there wouldn't be much wow factor. So that just makes me feel like ... well, I could sure use a fully renovated/decorated apartment, an expensive wardrobe, and lots of high end grooming products! I would feel like a new person too, even without having a particular "story" or obstacle that I need to overcome.  All the makeovers are inspiring and the guys are great, but you can't discount the fact that having plenty of money to throw around makes ANYONE's life a heck of a lot easier and more pleasant.  And we can't all be on a TV show.  It's a fairy tale, not a realistic reflection of how the average person might be able to change their life. 

Well, yeah, but this show isn’t really about showing people how to change their life. Not Like the original show was. I feel like the original show focused more on “teaching” the audience with a lot more “tips”. This one has some teaching moments, but really is more about overhauling the person’s life and less about teaching us things. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I came here to basically say the same thing. He irritated me so much. He made the “joke” about the “five gay guys” about 5 or 6 times. It wasn’t funny the first time and definitely wasn’t funny the last time. Also, the “convert” comment. My jaw dropped. 

Well, yeah, but this show isn’t really about showing people how to change their life. Not Like the original show was. I feel like the original show focused more on “teaching” the audience with a lot more “tips”. This one has some teaching moments, but really is more about overhauling the person’s life and less about teaching us things. 

They have a book out talking about little things you can do for yourself and about them personally but yes, the makeovers, (some bigger than others) can not be done by many on their own. The teacher made me laugh in an interview where she said Jonathan said, "Don't let anyone touch your hair" Is he going to go and cut it every few months? lol He's having nightmares of the feathers coming back. ; )  I'd love to have him cut mine but then I'd miss him.

With all the editing they do for the shows, re Matt, you know it was worse. I feel he lied a little to get the 15 minutes, help with his new venture and it was a "wink and a nod" with his friends, that he wasn't going to get too close to the gay guys. "As long as you don't try to convert me" Please, I still can't shake it off.

• Love 5

I haven't even finished the farmer episode yet, but is he seriously the only makeoveree who didn't go to a professional for hair?  I don't recall this ever with the current cast or in the original.  

• Love 2

S4E4 Yeah, the editing for this episode felt choppy. I think it was Miss Wanda. If they'd had the footage, they would have showed it. Instead we got the awkward end of her cooking demo with Anthony and the awkward end to the Karamo-mediated conversation with her daughters. At first, I was a little annoyed that this felt more like a promo for this documentary (that may be on Netflix?) but then as we got into her issues being warm and her relationship with her daughters I thought there might be something more there. But again, this was one of those episodes where Karamo or another therapist/social worker would need a lot more time. That kind of change doesn't happen in a few days. 

Tan did a great job on the outfits. 

I respect that given her insecurity, they only showed one or two quick shots of the condition of her hair loss. From what I can tell, they gave her a very elaborate comb over. I'm not sure how much she'd be able to achieve that day to day. I can see her going back to the wigs and hats, at least some of the time. But as with Tan dealing with body insecurities, I appreciate when JVN can talk someone through their hair issues. 

We got so little of Bobby this episode but I loved the redecoration. Partly, it was that he went from nothing to a style so anything was going to be an improvement. It still had a bit of a furniture/home decor store feel but I appreciated all the light colors and plants and little pops of dark woods and warmth (copper, blush, straw, etc.). It felt like baby steps into style. Like this is very neutral and as she figures out her personality she can add more to make the space her own.

Even at the end, I sensed that she was still kind of closed off but able to perform for the cameras and the Fab Five and say more or less the right thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they listed her as one of the more difficult/resistant clients. The guy with the app who didn't enjoy hugs and the college kid who kept lying stand out as two of the others. I think you can tell even if they edit around it.

I'm curious which daughter is older. I feel like the thinner one was more willing to play along with the "new Wanda" and the other one wasn't totally buying it. 

• Love 1

S1E5 At 64 years old, the time for the right person just walking into your life has sailed. You've got to work a little harder.

I want to know more about JVN's stop sign stealing aunt.

Antoni is talking about his family more this season. But didn't he say they were estranged? Is he talking about his memories from before? Or is he still in touch with his dad but estranged from his mom?

I think Kenny was a quiet guy with a pleasant manner of speaking but I don't think they ran over him. I think he would have spoken up if he disliked what they were doing.

Also, I think Karamo was able to see what he needed to talk about. 

JVN did a good job with the haircut but again, it was a combover that I'm not sure he could achieve for himself every day. I'm not sure that the moustache shaving was necessary. It was different but not necessarily better. 

I'm not sure dog adoption was the right choice. He went right for the one that looked like his old dog. It reminded me of Barbra Streisand cloning her dogs. I'm of the mind that maybe you're not ready to let new love into your life if you're still holding on to the past. Maybe you still need to grieve and heal.

Bobby did a great job. The decor was masculine and there was a retro/classic feel in all the dark colors. It wasn't minimalism. It wasn't pure furniture store. It felt like an upscale interpretation of what Kenny would pick if he'd been able to explain his style.

How do the Polish and the Croatians feel about each other? Do they have feelings? 

Tan made really smart styling choices even down to the new glasses.

S4E6 I try not to read the comments for episodes I haven't seen but with one thread for everything, sometimes it's difficult. Anyway, I happened to see a comment on the makeup so when Deanna was introduced this episode, I was expecting her to have chola makeup or something really dramatic. I thought she looked fine. A little Amy Winehouse but not in need of too much help.

Tan's French tuck is not for everyone. Immediate drawback on someone as curvy as Deanna in a loose top. Suddenly she's a wide box. That said, the clothes he pulled were mostly cute. I was excited for the final closet reveal.

Is it me or is Antoni even sexier in the interstitial dance transitions? It may just be the leather jacket.

I thought it was lovely that this time Antoni's cooking lesson was facilitating that link for Deanna to start learning from her mother in law instead of relying on her to do the cooking. Also, props to him for making the effort to use as much Spanish as he knows instead of relying on a translator. 

I think Deanna looked older after the JVN part of the makeover. I think it was weird because her makeover was totally pretty and natural and flattering. But she did look younger before because she was putting on the disguise of a teenager. 

Getting the office space from the city was a great decision and I'm so glad to see personality from Bobby again. I mean, it's definitely a look. And that look is like LA startup business that employs a lot of millennials who need to take Instagram-worthy photos at work. But it was cute and one of the better transformations this season.

Honestly, I'm a little skeptical about JVN's makeup skills. 

I think Tan mostly did a great job but I did not like the perforated blouse. It looked dumpy.

This felt a little like the episode with the mayor. A mutually beneficial relationship. Deanna's art festival got attention and the Fab 5 had a worthwhile candidate for the show. I don't mind this kind of producing once in a while. It's the advertising outside of the messaging of the episode that I don't love.

• Love 1

I just watched the S4 EP6 on Deanna and enjoyed it.

She didn't need a ton of help, but I liked JVN's hair and makeup - it was softer and a bit more sophisticated looking.

I wasn't too crazy about Tan's outfits - he kept putting her in high-necked tops, when I think a soft scoop or v-neck might have worked better with her curvy figure and  the blazers he'd chosen for her. Also his colour choices seemed really off - he was picking out white and baby pastels, which I don't think flattered her skin tone. Didn't care for the big plaid coat either. I thought the form fitting jeans and heels (and those beautiful hoop earrings) looked great on her though.

I'm finding that I'm really loving Antoni more and more each episode - he always gives the show's subjects a bit of counselling & TLC while he cooks with them, and it was fun to watch him interact and speak a bit of Spanish with Deanna's MIL. Plus there's his whole dog obsession which I totally identify with. I also did not know he was Canadian, which was revealed this episode! Yay!

It was nice to see Deanna going around the neighbourhood with Karamo  and handing out flyers for her arts festival. I was saddened to hear that she'd experienced such blatant and hurtful racism, and could see why that particular task seemed intimidating. Hopefully her neighbours will reciprocate and get to know her - her family and their fabulous cars looked like a lot of fun!

Kudos to Bobby on the beautiful office space design.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

How do the Polish and the Croatians feel about each other? Do they have feelings? 

Fine, really. The cultures are pretty similar. Also, Kenny really doesn't know how to pronounce Hrvatska. It was actually pretty cute, really. 

2 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I wasn't too crazy about Tan's outfits - he kept putting her in high-necked tops, when I think a soft scoop or v-neck might have worked better with her curvy figure and  the blazers he'd chosen for her. Also his colour choices seemed really off - he was picking out white and baby pastels, which I don't think flattered her skin tone. Didn't care for the big plaid coat either. I thought the form fitting jeans and heels (and those beautiful hoop earrings) looked great on her though.

I think the high-neck was to contrast with her lower cut spaghetti strap tops. I got the idea behind the coat, something fun, that popped while the rest of her outfit was more neutral, but I agree the execution was lacking. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

It was nice to see Deanna going around the neighbourhood with Karamo  and handing out flyers for her arts festival. I was saddened to hear that she'd experienced such blatant and hurtful racism, and could see why that particular task seemed intimidating. Hopefully her neighbours will reciprocate and get to know her - her family and their fabulous cars looked like a lot of fun!

Meeting the neighbors started off well and the neighbors seemed very receptive, UNTIL Deanna started talking about how she felt her family had been treated. I am not saying that racism is good. Not at all, but introducing herself to the neighbors, being gracious and kind would show the neighbors Deanna was a good person and open the door to a possible friendship regardless of whatever may have been said about her. By taking the high road, Deanna would prove whoever may have been hurtful wrong. Once she started criticizing you could just see the neighbors' faces freeze and the door to a possibe relationship, shut. 

• Love 1

I think Deanna has every right to shine a light on the discrimination she faced from her next door neighbor and explain why she may have been reluctant to meet any more of them. 

Also,  it did not seem to me that those particular neighbors she was speaking with froze up but they opened up. I think they even empathized and said they were sorry that happened to her and hugged her. Am I thinking of a different couple?

Regardless, even if the door was slammed in her face, she did nothing to have regrets over.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I respect that given her insecurity, they only showed one or two quick shots of the condition of her hair loss. From what I can tell, they gave her a very elaborate comb over. I'm not sure how much she'd be able to achieve that day to day. I can see her going back to the wigs and hats, at least some of the time. But as with Tan dealing with body insecurities, I appreciate when JVN can talk someone through their hair issues.  

I thought Jonathan was more encouraging her to wear it more like that around the house, basically giving her the confidence to give her hair time to "breathe" in private, not always braided/under a hat/under a wig in the hopes that it will start to heal and fill out over time. He had another scene later where he was showing her how to "safely" wig-cap, so I think he was still expecting her to mostly wear wigs and stuff out-and-about for now.

Man, Jonathan was really living his best life this season, wasn't he? Cheerleading, figure skating, drill team, not to mention triumphantly model-walking back into the high school where he'd been bullied (Karamo checking in with him on his nerves/anxiety on the car ride to the school was so sweet.) In second place was Antoni short-circuiting over that corgi.

Another awesome season! Episode-by-episode thoughts.

E1, Kathi - I loved how much love everyone was giving public-school teachers, and Jonathan's heart-to-heart with Kathi made me cry. Antoni teaching the students to make the dish to sell at the fundraiser was smart - obviously, Kathi had enough on her plate! The whole thing about rumors over whether or not she has a cot in her office was fun, especially how the students freaked out when she confirmed it.

E2, Wesley - Great episode. What a terrific guy - so cool how he was able to turn his life around, saving himself and helping so many others in the process (don't know how staged it was, but I liked him talking up his organization to another wheelchair user on the bus.) Him and Antoni bonding over how much they loved food was delightful. Some nice accessibility considerations by the Fab Five, especially Tan getting all those jackets altered so they wouldn't get in the way of his wheels and Bobby's work on the bathroom and the kitchen.

E3, John - Lucy was amazing, loved her. I really liked how Karamo was able to get John to open up about his depression and start talking to his ex about what he'd been going through. Jonathan's efforts to get John more engaged in Lucy's figure skating were nice - I liked seeing him during the competition, trying to figure out what the jumps were and his ex quietly correcting him.

E4, Wanda - Man, those girls were so scared of her. Good on them for starting to open up to her about it with Karamo's help, and good on Antoni for getting real with her about his experiences. I really liked how sensitive Jonathan was discussing her hair with her and mostly keeping it hidden from the camera.

E5, Kenny - Aw, Kenny. What a sweet guy! I thought everybody did great work here: Bobby's remodel looked awesome, Tan and Jonathan got him looking quite handsome, that risotto dish looked delicious, and it was another one where Karamo was really able to help him open up about some of his issues. Giving keys to the sisters/nieces to help keep him accountable was really nice.

E6, Deanna - My favorite episode this season. I loved everything: getting the office in the city (looked super cool,) Karamo helping her go around the neighborhood with flyers (you could hear how nervous she was, poor thing,) the mother-in-law being such a stern taskmaster with Antoni and Deanna in the kitchen. I cried when she told Jonathan he'd made her look like "the me I've been trying to be."

E7, Brandonn - I was living for all the Fab Five playing with those kids at the beginning (adorable!,) and laughing at the unfinished wall that looked like a penis. The remodel on this one was great, and kudos to both Jonathan and Tan for being so body-positive with him. Glad to hear he was able to start opening up to his wife about what he'd been going through.

E8, Matt - I wasn't as bothered by the "I've never spent a day with ONE gay guy, let alone a week with five!" comments. As cringeworthy as the "convert" remark was, there are plenty of people, especially straight guys, out there who DO think like that, so I think it was good to convey that his experience was better than he expected, even if he was dwelling on it a lot. The "modern farmhouse" look of the remodel was fantastic, and I thought Tan nailed the look.

• Love 3

I haven't finished the last 3 episodes but this is one show where I don't mind being "spoiled" because I know I'll still be smiling while crying at the end.   I was a bit worried about this season because they are so famous now.  I was worried that the clients would play more into how they would think the Fab Five would want them to behave and that the Fab Five would play up their idiosyncrasies to an annoying level.  I am so happy that I worried for nothing.  In fact, I feel like they all leaned into their strengths so much more this season and really put the clients at ease. I also think the clients trusted them so much earlier because they knew what to expect.     

• Love 1

Deanna was on the local news this week and she is pretty nearly back to looking the way she did before. I know these episodes were filmed about a year ago. 

I think in most cases the subjects of these make-overs tend to backslide into their old habits, frankly. Especially the men. I bet most of them let their beards and hair grow wild again. They probably go back to wearing their old tattered shirts and shoes too. Old habits die hard. 

• Love 3

S4E7 Honestly, aside from Wesley, this season has been a little bit of a letdown. But then we got Brandonn. He's such a sweetheart. I mean, I do think that him being on the show helps promote his non-profit as much as many of the other candidates have things to promote. But he was also very genuine and open. He was wary and trying to set boundaries at first but then he managed to open up a little. Whereas I've been feeling like a lot of people, especially this season, have been pretending to be open while actually being guarded.

I loved getting more Bobby this episode. I've been missing him this season. I feel like they made more of an effort to get him involved in past seasons. In general, I think the balance is a little off. Luckily with Tan, they've given him that Dressing Funny series and he has his own youtube channel but I'm not always getting what I want of the Fab Five episode to episode. 

The beard was coming off a little matted. I'm not sure he knew how to take care of it. BUT, on the whole, I liked his pre-makeover look. And I don't usually like beards. I'm glad JVN didn't take everything off but I feel like the haircut and the beard trim went a little too short. 

Antoni didn't exactly teach him how to cook a healthy meal.

Aside from some sharp looking (not child friendly) furniture, Bobby did a great job with the decor. He really elevated a space that already had great bones.

Breathing with JVN was a complete waste of time. Why was that in the episode? This is what I mean about the pacing being off with everyone's contributions. I do think I'm a little biased towards the three older members of the Fab Five and even though JVN is great, I do find him a little extra. He seems like more a Hollywood type, needing attention and needing to get the last word or put in an extra soundbite. 

Tan did such a good job. Adorable. The new wardrobe was such a natural fit. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Deanna was on the local news this week and she is pretty nearly back to looking the way she did before. I know these episodes were filmed about a year ago. 

I think in most cases the subjects of these make-overs tend to backslide into their old habits, frankly. Especially the men. I bet most of them let their beards and hair grow wild again. They probably go back to wearing their old tattered shirts and shoes too. Old habits die hard. 

The "What not to Wear" show used to revisit sometimes but I don't think they really ambushed them without their permission. Some kept some things, not others. I think seeing you can wear red or heels might not last but might creep back in. Hair is hard, you have a professional give you a good cut on TV and who in your town will duplicate it? Being neat is not done by cleaning out a  hoarders room, it looks nice, they like it, but you slip back. It's still nice to see how nice it looks but would you like to see your stuff in different places or on different furniture. For some yes, for some, I'm sure it has to "become them" after a while. I love when they do the kids rooms, they are the most fun. ; )  I want a hammock!

The Fab 5 have said that some of the clients keep in touch but I don't feel they'd have the time to do it with most unless they were thinking of a revisit one day.

https://www.eonline.com/news/912507/do-the-queer-eye-guys-keep-in-touch-with-their-makeover-subjects

From last year trans show, SkylarJay gives a nice interview https://www.them.us/story/skyler-jay-reveals-his-true-feelings-on-queer-eyes-trans-makeover-episode

Edited by debraran
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Some of you might have seen this, but I like the 2 Queer Eye groups together.  Still love Kyan ; )

I never saw that. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing them interacting together and would love to see more of it. Can you imagine a "supersized" QE where all 10 show up? Mind blown.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

I never saw that. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing them interacting together and would love to see more of it. Can you imagine a "supersized" QE where all 10 show up? Mind blown.

Carson would like that. He said they could do things together in a special. A ratings booster for sure.

• Love 1
On 7/25/2019 at 10:19 PM, aradia22 said:

S1E5 At 64 years old, the time for the right person just walking into your life has sailed. You've got to work a little harder.

I want to know more about JVN's stop sign stealing aunt.

Antoni is talking about his family more this season. But didn't he say they were estranged? Is he talking about his memories from before? Or is he still in touch with his dad but estranged from his mom?

I think Kenny was a quiet guy with a pleasant manner of speaking but I don't think they ran over him. I think he would have spoken up if he disliked what they were doing.

Also, I think Karamo was able to see what he needed to talk about. 

JVN did a good job with the haircut but again, it was a combover that I'm not sure he could achieve for himself every day. I'm not sure that the moustache shaving was necessary. It was different but not necessarily better. 

I'm not sure dog adoption was the right choice. He went right for the one that looked like his old dog. It reminded me of Barbra Streisand cloning her dogs. I'm of the mind that maybe you're not ready to let new love into your life if you're still holding on to the past. Maybe you still need to grieve and heal.

Bobby did a great job. The decor was masculine and there was a retro/classic feel in all the dark colors. It wasn't minimalism. It wasn't pure furniture store. It felt like an upscale interpretation of what Kenny would pick if he'd been able to explain his style.

Tan made really smart styling choices even down to the new glasses.

I think a dog was a great choice.  I think he really needed that unconditional, day-to-day love.  He may have been trying to "replicate" his old dog, but he also may have a "type".  I gravitate towards all labs.  I don't think I'd get anything other than a lab when my adored yellow goes.  I may even get another yellow.  I know lots of people who get a new dog almost immediately after they lose one.  I, personally, was not emotionally ready to get another dog for five years when ours passed in 2006, but I don't think there's a right way or wrong way to do it.

• Love 8
On 7/26/2019 at 9:09 AM, angora said:
On 7/25/2019 at 11:56 AM, aradia22 said:

I thought Jonathan was more encouraging her to wear it more like that around the house, basically giving her the confidence to give her hair time to "breathe" in private, not always braided/under a hat/under a wig in the hopes that it will start to heal and fill out over time. He had another scene later where he was showing her how to "safely" wig-cap, so I think he was still expecting her to mostly wear wigs and stuff out-and-about for now.

I understood that, over time and without the weaves, her hair could actually grow back. At a minimum, she could create something that allowed her to wear her own hair at home and "even answer the door" in it. 

Queer Eye is so much more than a makeover show. The physical makeover is secondary to the process of positive change and steps toward growth. This show is good for my soul. I enjoy all of the Fab Five but Bobby is my fav. I relate watching Bobby struggle with his churchy childhood. I'm not gay, but I grew up in a ridiculously religious evangelical family where females were believed to be biologically unfit to make decisions or think for themselves and my entire understanding of self is based on shame.

I thoroughly enjoy JVN's tireless positivity although I don't know if I could put up with his repeated screechings of "Yaaaaaassss, Queen!" for long in real life. That said, he is so loving and so affectionate and so sincere in his desire to help that I can't help but love him. For those of you who enjoy his extreme personality, you might want to check out "Gay of Thrones" (I'm sure many of you have already watched this). I found it on Amazon prime but it is no doubt available on other platforms. I have never watched Game of Thrones but I have watched most of JVN's Gay of Thrones episodes. His personality and delivery is similar to Queer Eye but in these short episodes he is very non-PC and he swears A LOT and dishes on all the filthy bits of Game of Thrones in his rapid-fire chatty style. I have no desire to watch Game of Thrones because I can't abide dragons and fantastical shit (and violence) -- but I do find it funny/ridiculous to watch Gay of Thrones. YMMV 🙂

Edited by GoldaVining
punctuation
  • Love 3
On 7/24/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hellohappylife said:

It may be just politics for some, but it's the reality of her life though. I like escapism too, but I think it was important to her story to cover the discrimination she feels she's faced. 

• Love 8

All - we've unvaulted the old forum and restored Queer Eye from Single Thread to Full Forum - as part of that, I'm going to see if I can parse out the discussion in this thread over the past 4 months into season by season discussion, and move some posts around. Please continue to discuss Season 4 here though! 

• Love 4

Karamo and his blatant dislike for all animals is not only annoying, but it's just completely turned me off to watching this show anymore. He disgusts me. And what exactly IS his role on this show? Cultural expert? Asshole?

6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Karamo and his blatant dislike for all animals is not only annoying, but it's just completely turned me off to watching this show anymore. He disgusts me. And what exactly IS his role on this show? Cultural expert? Asshole?

I actually really like Karamo, but his fear of any sort of critter is a bit odd. Maybe he wasn't exposed to animals at all during his growing up years. I think Tan is also a bit afraid of dogs - I recall him hanging back and jumping into someone's arms in one episode when an over-excited barking dog (or dogs?) ran up to greet the five. Neither of them appeared to have a problem with Bruley the Frenchie (RIP little Bruley) though, so maybe it's just with unfamiliar creatures? Karamo's role on the show is supposed to cover the mental-health/counselling aspect. I believe he has a background in social work.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, mmecorday said:

I loved Kenny so much! I sensed he had a lot of heartache in his life, but he seems to have a lot of people in his life who love him. It was cute how much his nieces obviously adored him.  I kind of wanted to see a makeover at the club/bowling alley too. I wonder how long those pickles had been sitting there? And he got a dog!

I loved Kenny too, and another reason is that he was American/Croatian.  I'm Croatian on my mum's side of the family (we are Aussies, though) and the other day when I visited my parents, Mum and I watched Kenny's episode together and she was testing her Serbo-Croatian skills to try and translate the Croatian proverbs they put up between each part of the episode. :)  He was a lovely man.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, Whimsy said:

Yeah, I agree.  I mean, he essentially came across as a nice bloke but he did not need to keep belabouring that point.

Late to the party, but I've been jumping around seasons and just finished this one. Not much to add except about Wanda the drill instructor. It is obvious she and the daughters have a long way to go. I especially noticed this when they came to her post-makeover and there was very little affection. Usually there is lots of hugging and compliments but it was very stilted. Hope they can find a path to each other.

• Love 1

Also, loved me some Karamo taking a hard pass on touching animals on the farm, because that's how the outbreak begins, y'all.

This hits different in 2022. I think I must have skipped this episode because of all the comments about Matt being a bit iffy. It was at least worth it to hear Karamo's jokes.

I'd love to know why the farmer guy's wife left him with no warning. I was hoping they'd get into explaining that, but I'm guessing he didn't want it repeated on TV.

I hope it wasn't bad. If his wife has full custody and left him like that, it's not the best sign. I'd hope production is doing some kind of background check to make sure they aren't devoting their time and resources to someone... problematic.

Maybe it's because I came off of watching the season 6 episode with the cattle farmer but this guy didn't seem too bad to me in comparison... at least from what was onscreen. I do think this was a time where Karamo could have pushed more... but it also seems like clients have to be somewhat receptive to that happening and the show doesn't force it.

I really loved JVN teaching his mom how to cut his hair. Bobby made the house a lot more modern and full. 

• Love 1