Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is this show on its 4th season?

I have Netflix and it's only listing 3 seasons which I've already watched.

Season 4 hasn’t been released. I don’t know if it’s even been filmed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

There's supposed to be a subseason featuring makeoverees in Japan, but it hasn't dropped. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks. I apologize for my confusion on what season was last filmed!

I have always been a fan of this show from the original QE to the new QE. It's very important to have more tv shows about the different lifestyles of people. As long as ones heart is filled with love, it doesn't matter your sexual preference, your ethnicity, your monetary income, your age....etc. 

In an interview with Out, Jonathan came out as non-binary.

The older I get, the more I think that I’m nonbinary — I’m gender nonconforming. Like, some days I feel like a man, but then other days I feel like a woman. I don’t really — I think my energies are really all over the place. Any opportunity I have to break down stereotypes of the binary, I am down for it, I’m here for it. I think that a lot of times gender is used to separate and divide. It’s this social construct that I don’t really feel like I fit into the way I used to. I always used to think “Oh, I’m like a gay man,” but I think any way I can let little boys and little girls know that they can express themselves and they can like be — like, making iconic partnerships with brands like essie no matter now they present is really important and exciting.

[...]

But some days I’ll just wear like, little high tops and little short-shorts and a little croppy toppy. But then other days I’m like in a heel, and then other days I’m like in jeans and a sweatshirt, and then other times I’m in like jeans and a poncho. I just am either like gender-bendy or nonconform-y or nonbinary and somedays I feel like a boy and somedays I feel like a girl. I didn’t think I was allowed to be nonconforming or genderqueer or nonbinary — I was just always like “a gay man” because that’s just the label I thought I had to be.

The interviewer also added a note that Jonathan prefers he/him pronouns (although we all know he likes to use "she/her" sometimes too!) but doesn't identify as a man.

I love Jonathan in all his "simultaneously rock high heels and a barbershop-quartet mustache" glory, so I'm happy for him.

• Love 7

Just watched the first episode with Jonathan's high school teacher and good job all around. I loved that they didn't use make up, but brought out her eyes with new glasses and a kicky haircut, her cute, comfy shoes (seriously, Look at my shoes, girls, was stinkin' adorable), and I am so jealous of the teachers' lounge. 

Discussing Mrs. Dooley with her students was one of my favorite bits, the rumors, the Dooley-cizing... Nice opening to the season. 

• Love 7
(edited)

On episode 4 and so far, it's a very strong season. Episode 2 made me cry, Episode 3 made me cheer.  All the emotions with this show.

Edit: On Ep 6 now. This show is literally like crack and I wish I could slow down!

Also there's a corgi in an episode and Antoni's brain slowly malfunctioning is probably one of the highlights of the four seasons combined.

Edited by Valerie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

I have no self control when it comes to this show! I started watching at 8 p.m. and here I am at a quarter to 11 still watching.

This is one of the best seasons so far. I loved the episode about Wesley, who discovered that his paralysis was his salvation. His smile was so beautiful and I kept thinking, "I wish this guy could be my friend!"

• Love 7
(edited)

So many thoughts, but I love these guys. Tan always trying to be so polite and accepting of how these heroes have nothing BUT sports t-shirts and flannel in their closets and listening to their lives and really clocking their comfort levels and needs will never not get old for me. 

More thoughts to come, as I watch rather than binge like I did earlier today, but can I just say I hope I age as well as Miss Wanda? Because DAMN, girl.

Also, loved me some Karamo taking a hard pass on touching animals on the farm, because that's how the outbreak begins, y'all.

Edited by jmonique
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, jmonique said:

More thoughts to come, as I watch rather than binge like I did earlier today, but can I just say I hope I age as well as Miss Wanda? Because DAMN, girl.

She looks great, but I can see how she can come off as scary. She was scaring me during that talk with Karamo and her daughters. And one daughter was definitely scared of her reaction as well. 

Lucy perfected that side eye and sass before hitting the 10 year mark. Inpressive. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Only watched the first episode with Jonathan's teacher and both loved, and was annoyed, by it. I put the rest of my comment in a spoiler in case anyone hasn't seen this episode yet.

Spoiler

I thought the guys were so much fun and Kathi looked absolutely beautiful at the end, but I felt there was more filler than substance. I loved seeing Jonathan with the cheerleaders and a little of the guys fooling around would have been nice, but seriously, how much do we need to see them dancing or pretending to be teachers? I know it was focused on Jonathan which, if this is what their going to do this season, is cool to see some of the guys' back stories, but the time spent on the topic was probably, at most, only half the show and the other four's parts seemed super forced.

Edited by sunshine23
fix spoiler
  • Love 7

S4E1 Yay, it's back!

I didn't get the "wow" from Tan's outfits in that scene. The one with the long dress and cardigan looked like the stereotypical older librarian outfit. There was nothing all that flattering or special about it. 

It's a shame JVN had to cut off so much of her hair but I imagine it was hard to work around the shorter parts of the mullet. Maybe she'll be able to adopt a different style as it grows out. It was a little Caroline Manzo meets Velma from Scooby Doo. A little length is softening, especially on older women as testosterone can make your face start to look more stereotypically masculine.

Bobby made their teacher's lounge into a beautiful furniture and home decor store. Meh? This is not one of my favorite transformations. Obviously it looks better but it doesn't feel like a teacher's lounge. I don't know how practical it all is. It doesn't look lived in or like a comfortable place to hang out, couches aside. It feels like a furniture store. Decor aside, I'm sure they'll appreciate the couches and new appliances.

Sweet baby Jonathan did make me tear up when he had his heart to heart with her towards the end.

The younger pictures of the Fab Five were cute. Basically Karamo has always been a fox.

• Love 4

S4E2

Initially I thought Bobby had the biggest project making the house more accessible. I was hoping we'd get a lot of that. It was about the same as it usually is. I wish the tour had been longer so we could see appreciate all the changes.

That was very cute. I don't think anyone's ever been that excited to get a cooking lesson from Antoni.

Wesley is a handsome guy so he would have looked good either way but I wish they'd kept more of his hair. I'm pro people keeping their natural hair, especially if they have texture or curls. 

I was kind of unsure what Karamo would do as Wesley seems to have already made great personal strides. Then he said there's been growth but not healing and I was more intrigued. And then when he set up the meeting with the man who shot him it was like, whoa, I did NOT think they'd go there. I feel like there was still stuff that was unspoken or edited out. It's unclear if it was a domestic dispute or two men fighting over a woman but everyone had guns and that clearly wasn't great with tensions running high. Knowing Karamo, I'd expected him to also set up a moment for Wesley to thank his mom. I have a feeling he may have said something but they didn't include it in the episode for some reason.

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I was kind of unsure what Karamo would do as Wesley seems to have already made great personal strides. Then he said there's been growth but not healing and I was more intrigued. And then when he set up the meeting with the man who shot him it was like, whoa, I did NOT think they'd go there. I feel like there was still stuff that was unspoken or edited out. It's unclear if it was a domestic dispute or two men fighting over a woman but everyone had guns and that clearly wasn't great with tensions running high. 

That was a tense scene, and I too wish we could have seen more of it. I was taken aback by the lack of an apology from the guy who shot him. But at least he paid lip service to living a better life. I am really curious how Karamo tracked him down and convinced him to appear.

Episode 3 - "Stoner Skates By" was so much fun to watch. This 10-year-old girl is more mature than most adults! I will never get tired of Jonathan's figure skating obsession - he really knows his stuff.

Episode 5 - "On Golden Kenny" was really touching, although Kenny was so sweet and agreeable that they probably could have dressed him like one of the Village People and he would be like, "This is wonderful!" Getting him another dog was absolutely the best thing they did.

Episode 6 - "A Tale of Two Cultures" was both heartbreaking and hopeful. Deanna looked so cute with her new makeup and hair.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 6

I just finished Wesley‘s episode, and I was in tears. It was not only because of his positivity but also because he has genuinely changed his life around. He also showed a depth of maturity that was a very touching and sincere. 

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I just finished Wesley‘s episode, and I was in tears. It was not only because of his positivity but also because he has genuinely changed his life around. He also showed a depth of maturity that was a very touching and sincere. 

Me too. He is the most amazing man and an inspiration to all people.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

S4E2

Wesley is a handsome guy so he would have looked good either way but I wish they'd kept more of his hair. I'm pro people keeping their natural hair, especially if they have texture or curls. 

Wesley had said that his hair was still a reminder of the night he got shot, and probably the man he used to be so he wanted it cut.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

The younger pictures of the Fab Five were cute. Basically Karamo has always been a fox.

I completely missed this. When were they shown, at the end of the episode? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I have no self control when it comes to this show! I started watching at 8 p.m. and here I am at a quarter to 11 still watching.

This is one of the best seasons so far. I loved the episode about Wesley, who discovered that his paralysis was his salvation. His smile was so beautiful and I kept thinking, "I wish this guy could be my friend!"

I started with the Wesley episode first.  I knew it would be really intense.  I cried through the whole thing.  It was incredible.  And yes, Wesley's smile was so beautiful.  A face made to smile.  What a good episode.  Bobby and Karamo knocked it out of the park, but when you think about it, Tan, Antoni, and Jonathan all did as well.  Okay they all did, LOL.

19 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I completely missed this. When were they shown, at the end of the episode? 

You can definitely see this on the Queer Eye Instagram account.  Sorry, I'm not sure about the episode.

Scroll through for all pics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HCi-pDwOQ/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Knowing Karamo, I'd expected him to also set up a moment for Wesley to thank his mom. I have a feeling he may have said something but they didn't include it in the episode for some reason.

He did, at two parts:

Once, when Wesley was showing his mother his house and kitchen, he thanked her directly.

Secondly, at the end of the episode, when he made his speech at the special night for his business.  I am wondering if you stopped the episode prematurely, or missed this part somehow, because it was significant.

13 hours ago, bijoux said:

She looks great, but I can see how she can come off as scary. She was scaring me during that talk with Karamo and her daughters. And one daughter was definitely scared of her reaction as well. 

Lucy perfected that side eye and sass before hitting the 10 year mark. Inpressive. 

Wanda:  What are you SCARED OF ME?

Daughters, shaking in their boots:  Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  No.

I like how Antoni really confronted her about how she was as a mother and I'm glad the guys coaxed the real truth about it from the daughters.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You can definitely see this on the Queer Eye Instagram account.  Sorry, I'm not sure about the episode.

Scroll through for all pics:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HCi-pDwOQ/

Thank you. I must not have been paying enough attention, because I actually do remember Jonathan's pic in his cheering uniform, but not the others. 

Dude, Tan has always had a slamming head of hair.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m on the final episode on the farm and it’s just so much fun I had to post before even finishing. First, Jonathan. Caress my back with your callusy hands. But then Karamo killed me dead. I think NotDownWithThisKaramo is definitely my favortie Karamo.

The stage for a scary movie, the outbreak and gagging, chastasing Bobby! It’s all top notch.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bijoux said:

Thank you. I must not have been paying enough attention, because I actually do remember Jonathan's pic in his cheering uniform, but not the others. 

Dude, Tan has always had a slamming head of hair.

I think Tan looks like Ariana Grande there 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Episode 5 - "On Golden Kenny" was really touching, although Kenny was so sweet and agreeable that they probably could have dressed him like one of the Village People and he would be like, "This is wonderful!" Getting him another dog was absolutely the best thing they did.

I loved Kenny so much! I sensed he had a lot of heartache in his life, but he seems to have a lot of people in his life who love him. It was cute how much his nieces obviously adored him.  I kind of wanted to see a makeover at the club/bowling alley too. I wonder how long those pickles had been sitting there? And he got a dog!

• Love 9

S4E3 This is the first haircut of the season I've genuinely liked. He didn't look bad before but it was a hipster mountain man look. This is more groomed but it isn't unflattering.

The figure skating was fun. I think Lucy is too young to appreciate Michelle Kwan or any of the 90's skaters JVN was rattling. I was a HUGE fan of Michelle Kwan's in her heyday. It killed me when she'd make a mistake and place behind one of those little pixies. 

The rest of the episode was a little boring. I feel like this was a retread of stuff they've covered before. 

Lucy's lounge did not look like a place for a child. It was too beige and gray accented with dark woods. That's like a spa, not a child's space. I assume they have a deal with some furniture/home decor brand but if they do, I think it might be hampering Bobby's creativity. I feel like the decor is becoming less interesting to me. The dining area and bedroom look good but that's because it's for an adult. I think Lucy's bedroom had nicer decor. Still probably for someone older, like a teenager but at least there were lighter colors.

Wesley had said that his hair was still a reminder of the night he got shot, and probably the man he used to be so he wanted it cut.

I know but there's a middle ground between his hair grown out for years and a fade. It's not like everyone on the show who needs a change gets their heads shaved. 😉 

He did, at two parts:

Yeah, I saw that. But usually there'll be a scene where Karamo will ask the person to say thank you or have an important conversation. I feel like we got the pieces... the two scenes you mentioned and his mom at the beginning saying he'd never thanked her but we were missing that scene where Karamo was like... you should thank your mom. They're usually not shy about having a scene to explicitly show that moment was motivated by one of the Fab Five (usually Karamo) so it was weird that it was absent. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Lucy's lounge did not look like a place for a child. It was too beige and gray accented with dark woods. That's like a spa, not a child's space. I assume they have a deal with some furniture/home decor brand but if they do, I think it might be hampering Bobby's creativity. I feel like the decor is becoming less interesting to me. The dining area and bedroom look good but that's because it's for an adult. I think Lucy's bedroom had nicer decor. Still probably for someone older, like a teenager but at least there were lighter colors.

True. I noticed the same disconnect in a later episode, where the home did end up looking nice, but not really fit for its inhabitants or at least the current stage of their lives IMO.

• Love 1

I thought Jo(h)n's beard needed a bit more clean-up.  He still didn't look like a "marketing guy" to me at the end.  And I agree Lucy's lounge is better fit for someone in her 20s or 30s (likely the kind of gal who is OBSESSED with Anthropologie) than a 10/11 year old (TBH, if I were her mom, I wouldn't want her going back and forth between the two homes.  I'd fight to keep her full time until Jo(h)n gets himself together.  His issues are very obvious based on how his house was before the makeover). 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Yeah, I saw that. But usually there'll be a scene where Karamo will ask the person to say thank you or have an important conversation. I feel like we got the pieces... the two scenes you mentioned and his mom at the beginning saying he'd never thanked her but we were missing that scene where Karamo was like... you should thank your mom. They're usually not shy about having a scene to explicitly show that moment was motivated by one of the Fab Five (usually Karamo) so it was weird that it was absent. 

Karamo told him that near the beginning of the episode.  It was brief, but it was there.

• Love 1

Atlanta AGAIN?  

They really need to branch out.  And Kansas City wasn't really that different an environment.  Not California.  Not New York.  Maybe... Detroit?  

20 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I absolutely love Tan but this trying to make the French tuck a fad needs to stop.

Tan is an interesting engaging fellow, but I really don't like many of his fashion choices.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Atlanta AGAIN?  

They really need to branch out.  And Kansas City wasn't really that different an environment.  Not California.  Not New York.  Maybe... Detroit?  

Tan is an interesting engaging fellow, but I really don't like many of his fashion choices.  

Isnt this season still in Kansas City?. Next season is in Philadelphia I believe.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Oh I love Tan, he is my favorite guy on the show...but I have to say, the episode where they rescued a big ole dog for the 65 year old hoarder man was the BEST YET.  I just died with happiness for him, he was such a sweetie. But they should have left him some facial hair, I think he kinda needed it.  That is my only complaint! Terrific new season! 

• Love 6
(edited)
23 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Isnt this seaon still in Kansas City?. Next season is in Philadelphia I believe.

LOL.  You're right.   I actually had Netflix (accidentally) cue up a SEASON 2 episode I'd never seen (not sure how I skipped past it when I played that Season originally--plus all of Seasons 1 and 3 at other times) and didn't realize it.  On to Season 4 now, since I've seen the rest.

Philly sounds like a good idea actually.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kenny was actually my least favourite episode.  LOL.  I feel so bad!  It was just so easy to transform him because he didn't exercise much opinion and he wasn't comfortable to talk about his own taste.  He was just so easy to mold.  There was no drama or intensity.  He was just a very nice thankful guy.  Haha!  Guess it just kind of bored me.

In chronological order here are my notes on each episode.

1. Kathi - I actually loved the clothes, hair, style they gave her.  I thought she looked like a young Diane Keaton character, somebody in a Nancy Meyers movie.  From me that's a compliment.  I loved it.

2. Wesley - well I've already spoken about this.  The best episode for sure.

3. John Stoner - liked this one.  I loved the cameo.

4. Wanda - it turned out pretty good in the end.  Like I said I really liked how Antoni pushed her.

6. A Tale of Two Cultures - I loved how Antoni was with this woman as well because he was so kind and empathetic towards her.  I'm sorry I forget her name and it's not on Wikipedia.

7. A Soldier Returns Home - I liked this one because I liked how the wife loved her husband so much.  I thought it was so funny how at the end the solder said, I have all of your guys' back and I'll do anything for you. Like, wow, his loyalty!  He sounded like he was in the mafia or something. That was really effusive.

8.  Farm to Able - I was enjoying this one but it's funny/weird how the guy kept reminding everyone how he's never around gay people.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

If I missed it I apologize, but it looked like they took away Kenny's microwave. I can't get behind heating convenience store wrapped sandwiches, but come on. The guy needs an easy way to fix a can of soup.

I really wanted his family to pitch in and get him a weekly cleaning service, if not a schedule to do it themselves. He can have the best intentions but I doubt he's going to change from "never dusted in 15 years" to Kenny Cleanliness.

The man in the wheelchair got a full house renovation with walls moved and a new kitchen but Wanda got painted pink cabinets. Seems unequal, but maybe I just hated the pink very hard.

• Love 3
(edited)

Kenny giving house keys to his sisters and nieces was part of an accountability thing. I don't think he's going to become Mr. Clean either, but at least he's aware of his hoarding tendencies and wants his family to speak up when they see it.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 5

Was this the season of "Fear the Beard"?  Granted they all looked well trimmed after the makeover but other than that, there really wasn't much for Jonathan to do.  That being said, I couldn't help but smile and giggle every time Jonathan was on screen. His energy is infectious. It also seemed that Antoni shared a lot more of himself this season. I really like all of the Fab 5.

• Love 4

Episode 6 - "A Tale of Two Cultures" was both heartbreaking and hopeful. Deanna looked so cute with her new makeup and hair.

She looked 1,000 times better with the softer hair and lighter makeup, but I wonder if she's going to keep that look or go back to slathering on the eyeliner like she's Cleopatra. I also wonder about City Hall "giving" her that office space. Surely someone needs to pay the rent.

1. Kathi - I actually loved the clothes, hair, style they gave her.  I thought she looked like a young Diane Keaton character, somebody in a Nancy Meyers movie.  From me that's a compliment.  I loved it.

I didn't love the hair. It was too purposely "messy." But it was a big improvement overall. I think I was more moved by Jonathan this episode than the guest.

3. John Stoner - liked this one.  I loved the cameo.

Jonathan must have some major clout to get Michelle Freaking Kwan to do a guest appearance and give that girl a few skating tips. And how does she keep getting more beautiful? Can you believe she is almost 40?? Agreed the little girl was mature beyond her years.

8.  Farm to Able - I was enjoying this one but it's funny/weird how the guy kept reminding everyone how he's never around gay people.  

They're smart to keep politics out of it but they have had more than one episode where the guest was clearly conservative. I think this was his "shorthand" for that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Jonathan must have some major clout to get Michelle Freaking Kwan to do a guest appearance and give that girl a few skating tips. And how does she keep getting more beautiful? Can you believe she is almost 40?? Agreed the little girl was mature beyond her years.

Right?  She's a goddess.

• Love 2

I'd love to know why the farmer guy's wife left him with no warning. I was hoping they'd get into explaining that, but I'm guessing he didn't want it repeated on TV.

• Love 3

Just saw the Kenny episode.  How sad 😞  (on the not dating part:  I got the vibe that he might be deeply closeted (especially from his generation and being Catholic).  Or asexual.  Not that it's my business or anything), but his makeover was amazing.  I couldn't believe how handsome he looked after his shave and haircut!  He DID need to get out a bit more and expand his palate (Antoni was right).  I, too, was surprised that he had never heard of risotto!  

• Love 3

Oh my gosh!! Epi 2 with Wesley had me weepy almost from the start!! The meeting between the two men was crazy! It has been mentioned I think that the shooter didnt apologize. I dont think Wesley was there for that? I mean, he admitted if it had been the other way around he may of done the same thing!! It seems they have both bettered themselves! And HOLY CRAP!! You just cant ask for anything better! This is probably my favorite episode EVER!!! AMAZING!!! Ilove this show!!!! 

• Love 2