Type keyword(s) to search

Psych - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Timothy Omundson did interviews recently on both the Larry King Now talk show, which streams at a site called Ora.tv, & the new The Kelly Clarkson Show, the syndicated daytime talk show hosted by the singer, current The Voice coach, & first winner of American Idol.

Here’s the whole interview with Larry King. It lasts around 23 minutes & change, & I think it’s worth watching in full & very insightful as to what’s been going on with him since the stroke (SPOILER—at least presumably if you don’t watch This Is Us: He doesn’t move/use his left arm, at all, during the course of the interview—that surprised me, because I didn’t realize it may still be affected by the stroke; otherwise, I think he looks/sounds good).

Besides the serious (about the stroke, how his career has been affected by it, etc.), Larry also asks Tim for his answers to a set of random questions, like many other celeb talk shows do with their guests, & Tim finishes the interview by answering questions submitted by social media (mostly Twitter) users.

So far, I’ve only been able to find what may only be part of the Kelly Clarkson interview. If I find what I’m positive is the whole thing, I’ll post a link. I haven’t checked the site for her show yet; it might be there.

• Love 1

I’m binge watching the series (for the umpteenth time), and especially appreciate how many different actors funneled through the episodes. I can’t begin to count how many times I’ve vaguely recognized an actor in some other show but couldn’t place them only to check IMDb and realize it was from Psych.

• Love 3
On 12/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, Kiddvideo said:

I’m binge watching the series (for the umpteenth time), and especially appreciate how many different actors funneled through the episodes. I can’t begin to count how many times I’ve vaguely recognized an actor in some other show but couldn’t place them only to check IMDb and realize it was from Psych.

Between celebrity appearances and “Only So Many Actors in Vancouver” they really did get just about everyone.

• Love 1

I usually skip the first season episode about the bank robbers, the not-dead husband, and his godfather wife, but I watched it today. I’d forgotten about Shawn guessing how many fingers the robber was holding up bc Shawn could see the reflection. Gus’s reaction when the robber moved only to stand right in front of him  made me laugh. Dule conveyed an R-rated response without saying a word.

I saw Peacock’s tweet that the show is moving. No mention of when. I have Spectrum so can’t even get access until July while Comcast/Cox get in April.

Edited by Kiddvideo
Day drinking+fat finger syndrome.
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

I usually skip the first season episode about the bank robbers, the not-dead husband, and his godfather wife, but I watched it today. I’d forgotten about Shawn guessing how many fingers the robber was holding up bc Shawn could see the reflection. Gus’s reaction when the robber moved only to stand right in front of him  made me laugh. Dule conveyed an R-rated response without saying a word.

I saw Peacock’s tweet that the show is moving. No mention of when. I have Spectrum so can’t even get access until July while Comcast/Cox get in April.

That was hilarious. Boy was the robber dumb. 

1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

We don't have Comcast where I live either.  It's going to make discussing the 2nd movie awkward when half the country can't even get it right away.  I was planning on subbing to the no-ads version for at least a month to watch Lassie Come Home.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, raven said:

Pysch is so giffable

tenor.gif.8571cef8c8e6c93c64e6c51969afafc5.gif

Tru Dat!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

STOP ME BEFORE I GO CRAZY!!!! I've been watching this show on Prime, because Gus and Shawn are the perfect Panacea to escape the real world and what's going on right now! I was watching season six's "Indiana Shawn and the Temple of the Kinda Crappy, Rusty Old Dagger" and Gus and Shawn's fight on the lawn had me laughing so hard I started coughing and hacking and had to pause it because I didn't want my neighbors to think I was sick!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

FYI: The season 1 & 2 mega-nonstop marathon will start at 10:00p..m EST.

Since they're airing on USA, their HOME(!), I hope we also get the Psych-Outs like we did when they originally aired. That's the one thing I miss when streaming this or watching it on dvd: they don't show the Psych-Outs! Boo!

And I need to start making notes when streaming because now I'm even more peeved. Season One had Shaw be soooo smart, soooo charming. So clever. He clearly was able to pay the rent before he and Gus opened up Psych. He knew what Pro Bono meant. We all know Henry taught him not only to be smart and notice things, etc., but no one will convince me that Shawn, wouldn't know that you have to pay insurance on your motorcycle, monthly/yearly, whatever insurance he had, just as you do a car. For some reason, they decided to not only dumb Shawn down, but make him a moocher, an idiot, and look like a fool. It's always confused me because both Roday and Hill became producers in season three. And they were okay with this? I wasn't a fan of the dark turn, or that they forgot what they wrote in the first season. I'm speaking of Juliet's parents being happily married. But of course they had to ruin that as well. 

But over all, I love this show. I just don't watch those episodes that peeve me. The hypocrisy of both Lassie and Juliet in "High Top Fade Out" always pisses me off. Considering that Gus and Shawn saved Lassie's ass just the episode or two before. And he treats them like shit.

But this is the BEST show to watch to escape from our current reality. ShawnN'Gus FOREVAH!!!!!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

FYI: The season 1 & 2 mega-nonstop marathon will start at 10:00p..m EST.

Since they're airing on USA, their HOME(!), I hope we also get the Psych-Outs like we did when they originally aired. That's the one thing I miss when streaming this or watching it on dvd: they don't show the Psych-Outs! Boo!

And I need to start making notes when streaming because now I'm even more peeved. Season One had Shaw be soooo smart, soooo charming. So clever. He clearly was able to pay the rent before he and Gus opened up Psych. He knew what Pro Bono meant. We all know Henry taught him not only to be smart and notice things, etc., but no one will convince me that Shawn, wouldn't know that you have to pay insurance on your motorcycle, monthly/yearly, whatever insurance he had, just as you do a car. For some reason, they decided to not only dumb Shawn down, but make him a moocher, an idiot, and look like a fool. It's always confused me because both Roday and Hill became producers in season three. And they were okay with this? I wasn't a fan of the dark turn, or that they forgot what they wrote in the first season. I'm speaking of Juliet's parents being happily married. But of course they had to ruin that as well. 

But over all, I love this show. I just don't watch those episodes that peeve me. The hypocrisy of both Lassie and Juliet in "High Top Fade Out" always pisses me off. Considering that Gus and Shawn saved Lassie's ass just the episode or two before. And he treats them like shit.

But this is the BEST show to watch to escape from our current reality. ShawnN'Gus FOREVAH!!!!!!

I really didn't either. That's what kept me from watching the series in the first place I thought that's what Shawn would be like. But I watched it one day with my mom and was surprised that Shawn wasn't the annoying, man child who mooched off everyone. He was smart and fun, but also you know paid his bills and stuff. He was cool and nice. Solving a case for Lassie in season one to help Lassie out even though at that point Lassie still hadn't been nice to him at all. I really hate that they turned him into that. I really don't know why James and Dule would let their characters become what they did either. Is that what they really wanted? James really liked Shawn being an idiot moocher all the time? I hate that they changed Juliet's back story, and so insisting on the truth. It was really nice to have a female detective that was happy and cheerful all the time and came from a happy home. Plus it also made her character look so stupid that she completely believed Shawn was a psychic.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Juliet was always the most fun when she went "undercover". She basically carried the Sonority Halloween episode.

She really was. I loved that episode. Also the roller derby one especially when she's telling the Chief that she broke some girl's nose, how great she was and now their friends.

• Love 4

This always makes me laugh, from American Duos - it's all in Maggie Lawson's delivery:

Juliet O'Hara : Well, I did go to cheerleader camp for two weeks. I got kicked out.

Burton 'Gus' Guster : Kicked out?

Juliet O'Hara : It's a long story. Suffice it to say I don't like liars who steal nail polish and then pass out when you slap them a little bit on the back of the head.

• LOL 4
(edited)

10 minutes of the best Shawn and Gus scared and screaming! I get a good laugh at how Gus doesn't know the movie Holes, that Shawn is talking about in the second scene! Since Dulé Hill was in that movie!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 5

This show really lucked out when they hired Liam James to play Young Shawn for the first 4 and 3/4 seasons! It just figured that Liam started puberty early and had to be recast by that awful Skylar Gisondo. Nothing against Skylar, but he didn't have the snark, edge, or sarcasm that Liam did, which made you believe that he would grow up to be James Roday's Shawn. And I'm still bitter he didn't get a shout out at the after show, when the series finale aired. AND that they replaced Liam's picture with Skylar's in the last Yang episode.  At least they stopped with the Young Shawn sometime in Season Six, and even then, there were only a handful. Skylar just didn't have the same chemistry with Corbin and Young Gus that Liam did.  Here are 10 minutes of the best Liam James as Shawn.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This show really lucked out when they hired Liam James to play Young Shawn for the first 4 and 3/4 seasons! It just figured that Liam started puberty early and had to be recast by that awful Skylar Gisondo. Nothing against Skylar, but he didn't have the snark, edge, or sarcasm that Liam did, which made you believe that he would grow up to be James Roday's Shawn. And I'm still bitter he didn't get a shout out at the after show, when the series finale aired. AND that they replaced Liam's picture with Skylar's in the last Yang episode.  At least they stopped with the Young Shawn sometime in Season Six, and even then, there were only a handful. Skylar just didn't have the same chemistry with Corbin and Young Gus that Liam did.  Here are 10 minutes of the best Liam James as Shawn.

Oh, definitely, Liam was a talented kid to pull of being kid Shawn so well. Skylar unfortunately wasn't able too. I really don't think any other kid could. That's not an easy job to have Shawn's snark, edge, and sarcasm without being a jerk. I'm still amazed at what a good job Liam did. He just felt, looked and acted so much like how you'd expect Shawn to have been as a kid. So did the kid who played kid Dule, Carlos McCullers II. He managed to capture Gus's perfectly.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Oh, definitely, Liam was a talented kid to pull of being kid Shawn so well. Skylar unfortunately wasn't able too. I really don't think any other kid could. That's not an easy job to have Shawn's snark, edge, and sarcasm without being a jerk. I'm still amazed at what a good job Liam did. He just felt, looked and acted so much like how you'd expect Shawn to have been as a kid. So did the kid who played kid Dule, Carlos McCullers II. He managed to capture Gus's perfectly.  

Interestingly enough, Liam didn't show up until Episode 3 of the first season. We had one actor in the pilot, who clearly looked like he was 12; then another one in the Spelling Bee episode, who looked about 11; when we got Liam, he looked age appropriate for 7 or 8.

Carlos was also a recast. He didn't show up until Season Two. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interestingly enough, Liam didn't show up until Episode 3 of the first season. We had one actor in the pilot, who clearly looked like he was 12; then another one in the Spelling Bee episode, who looked about 11; when we got Liam, he looked age appropriate for 7 or 8.

Carlos was also a recast. He didn't show up until Season Two. 

I remembered that for little Shawn but forgot about Carlos. They lucked out on recasts. Liam and Carlos looked and acted so much like kid Shawn and Gus. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, raven said:

If anyone's on Instagram, James Roday will be live at 9:15 pm EST tonight.

That sounds great. I so wish that Instagram would work properly on a desktop though.    Every time I try I can't read 90 percent of the comments.  Not everyone uses a phone or a tablet all the time.  Have to look for my iPad!

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, roseha said:

That sounds great. I so wish that Instagram would work properly on a desktop though.    Every time I try I can't read 90 percent of the comments.  Not everyone uses a phone or a tablet all the time.  Have to look for my iPad!

I saw that!

• Love 2

There was at LEAST 10 minutes left in the hour before "The Spelling Bee" started, but they started it at 11:20ish. So I don't understand why they cut out Gus using spelling bee words when they were talking to that woman who was arranging for them to talk with the parents and kids. It was like 10-20 seconds. Boo!!!!

I've seen the pilot like three times in the past two weeks, but I don't think they cut anything out. Maybe they did--like when Lassie wouldn't let Shawn leave and put him under arrest? And he says he's psychic? I'll have to go back and rewatch. Oh, that's going to be SUCH A CHORE!!!!

I do like how during the commercial breaks we have James and Dulé talk about how the show started, their thoughts, etc.

I saw the live Instagram and it was awesome! Steve Franks looks exactly the same! And Dulé is a Daddy!!!!! Tim, Maggie, Kirsten, Corbin also appeared. So looking forward to Psych 2: The Sequel!

Tim looked and sounded great!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Tim Curry was just awesome!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

He was perfect in the role. He was so funny. Starting off by insulting the two girls who haven't even sang yet and ending with his awesome critique of the person who was trying to kill him. Emalina's just as funny in her crazy way insisting taking a forklift was a publicity stunt, being passed out on top of a car, but usually she slept in a lifeguard at the beach. Telling Shawn and Gus they wore purple which was her favorite color and both looking confused since they weren't wearing purple. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There was at LEAST 10 minutes left in the hour before "The Spelling Bee" started, but they started it at 11:20ish. So I don't understand why they cut out Gus using spelling bee words when they were talking to that woman who was arranging for them to talk with the parents and kids. It was like 10-20 seconds. Boo!!!!

I've seen the pilot like three times in the past two weeks, but I don't think they cut anything out. Maybe they did--like when Lassie wouldn't let Shawn leave and put him under arrest? And he says he's psychic? I'll have to go back and rewatch. Oh, that's going to be SUCH A CHORE!!!!

Quoting myself because I was WRONG! They didn’t edit scenes! I must have been in the kitchen, because rewatching Gus is using the words like “virulence”, “preposterous”!😂😂😂 I should have known USA wouldn’t have g***** us Psych-Os!!!

• Love 2

Finished watching the USA episodes! While I'm disappointed no Psych-Outs, I did love seeing the previews of the show returning over the years. And I agree 100000000% that Shawn and Gus were cable's "greatest heroes"! I loved that promo with Gus and Matt Boehmer and the other dude from White Collar. I wish they'd shown that promo where Gus walks in and there's another "Gus" that Shawn said he was auditioning for the second season!

But I didn't realize that Show started dumbing down Shawn toward the end of season one! In the pilot, he offers Chief Vick to do McCallum case "pro bono" because he's smart and not dumb. Even Anne Dudek's character (name is escaping me; she was Lassie's partner in the pilot) mentions how if he hadn't slacked off in his senior year, he would have made valedictorian. So him being stupid in episode two's "Spelling Bee" and then not knowing what pro bono meant in "Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Murder" (HATED the "remake" of that) made me 😒at Steve Franks, and the writers. And that in the Nanny episode, Juliet didn't care for marriage, when in her first episode, you know she aspires to maybe have the same type of marriage as her parents (before they retconned it in season six, or was it seven?).

I supposed the reasoning was, they wanted Shawn to have some flaws? I don't think they needed to do that so that the others wouldn't look stupid in comparison.

In between the episode, during the commercial breaks, we got James and Dulé talking about how they filmed "Scary Sherry" and "American Duos" back to back, and knew at that point they could go crazy with the show. And how Shawn was modeled on Ferris Bueller to some extent. Makes me wonder if they tried to get Matthew Broderick to guest star, but couldn't? 

But there's more to love about this show than to dislike, so I'll end it here: Seasons 3 and 4 start THIS WEDNESDAY and I hope we get more insights from Shawn and Dulé.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm BEYOND PEEVED because Xfinity SAID that PeacockTV would be available to x1 customers (ME) on April 15, but it's not! And I can't get to a real person to talk to or email; their stupid chat feature is nothing but a bot.

32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm BEYOND PEEVED because Xfinity SAID that PeacockTV would be available to x1 customers (ME) on April 15, but it's not! And I can't get to a real person to talk to or email; their stupid chat feature is nothing but a bot.

Sorry! At least I knew I wouldn't have access until Summer. I did see that Lassie Come Home isn't available until later, if that help.

I'm watching an episode on USA (love Jane Lynch!) and they ran an ad saying "episodes would return in January," which certainly caught my ear, but they'd slugged it, "Sorry, PsychOs! This is a reallllly old ad."

I'm glad their marketing dept. shares the humor of the show!

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Sorry! At least I knew I wouldn't have access until Summer. I did see that Lassie Come Home isn't available until later, if that help.

I'm watching an episode on USA (love Jane Lynch!) and they ran an ad saying "episodes would return in January," which certainly caught my ear, but they'd slugged it, "Sorry, PsychOs! This is a reallllly old ad."

I'm glad their marketing dept. shares the humor of the show!

It doesn't because I can't even watch original recipe, unedited mothership Law & Order!!!!!

I've been rewatching as well, and those first few seasons were magical.

HOWEVER! One thing I've never liked is all of the Shawn shenanigans when he's channeling something (except for a few exceptions). Like when I rewatch 65 Million Years Off, and he's doing the Old McDonald farm thing, ug, I can't stand it.

Those were funny (a bit) the first time around, but I find them super tedious on any subsequent viewing. It was my least favorite aspect of the show overall and was OK with it dying off in later seasons.

• Love 2

I watched High Top Fade Out, which is so good on so many levels - the singing! Tony Todd (though underutilized)! Gus's speech "you broke my heart" to his college buddies!

and this, which I know I've mentioned before but just makes me laugh and laugh

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, raven said:

I watched High Top Fade Out, which is so good on so many levels - the singing! Tony Todd (though underutilized)! Gus's speech "you broke my heart" to his college buddies!

and this, which I know I've mentioned before but just makes me laugh and laugh

I love the Shawn, Gus and his old friends part of the episode. They were so great! I love Gus agreeing to only get the band back together if Jesus was their manager. Then Shawn starts singing it. Tony and Joon were so hilarious. I hate Lassie and Juliet refusing to tell them anything and acting like such jerks. If it was early season one I could see Lassie not wanting to give Shawn any info he hated him still at that point and didn't trust him. I can't see Juliet ever doing that. Even back in season one she'd help out or something like dropping the paper from the school teacher trial for Shawn to find it. The other positive is its the first episode we meet Woody!

• Love 2