Type keyword(s) to search

Psych - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And season one is BACK!!!!

But a big GIANT BOO! For cutting out the opening where Shawn guesses who the thief is while making out with some floozy. Because we can’t have kissing now? And they cut out the ending where Shawn shows Gus their office. And a whole bunch of other stuff. I don’t understand why cable can’t make the pilot into two episodes!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

But it’s SMART SHAWN!!!! Funny Shawn! Charming Shawn!!!!

And cutting out the scene of Shawn stealing the bag from the store and Gus trying to distract the guy and doing a bad job of it. So many good scenes cut for no reason. They can do two, on Amazon Prime they have the full complete pilot. There's no reason they can't air that in two episodes.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

I have two questions Scary Sherry, Bianca's Toast-why did Alice go after Mary Lou/Juliet? I know she wanted to make the sorority girls pay but Juliet didn't go undercover until after Doreen died because she was investigating it. Juliet said she'd only been under cover a week. Did Alice not know that? If so how? She managed to figure out Bianca and Betty were involved and know which room was Bianca's but didn't noticed Mary Lou had only been around a week? Why not target the rest of the sorority girls? 

The second question is why didn't Chief Vick hire the nanny Gus found for her in Rob-A-Bye Baby? I know they explained at the end her nephew was coming back to go to nursing school in Santa Barbara (although why would he leave to go to nursing school if there were ones in Santa Barbara). But they established that it was the agency and not the nannies that were committing crimes and she seemed like a really good nanny in her interview. She could have just kept her or used her for the two weeks before her nephew moved back.

Well, she can hardly hire a nanny from an agency she is accusing of a crime. That is clearly a conflict of interest.

And Alice went after Mary Lou because Juliet was too good in her role...meaning she embodied everything Alice hated. In Alice mind it was people like her who kept sonorities, with all their downsides, going.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is in CELEBRATION AND EXCITEMENT! over the FB video where Gus and Shawn informed me viewers that Psych: The Movie 2 is COMING!!!!!!! And there will be lots of Lassiter!

tumblr_lwak6zmUms1qg9ixw.gif

• Love 4

There was nothing on TV tonight so I watched Bounty Hunters on Prime. I still love that episode. Even though Kevin Sorbo is a certifiable political nut job I still enjoyed his banter with the boys. “Is he winking at me?” I do have to say that Shawn looked pretty hot in that vest.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, twoods said:

There was nothing on TV tonight so I watched Bounty Hunters on Prime. I still love that episode. Even though Kevin Sorbo is a certifiable political nut job I still enjoyed his banter with the boys. “Is he winking at me?” I do have to say that Shawn looked pretty hot in that vest.

Its a funny episode. I love how annoyed Shawn gets at everyone laughing every time he says their Bounty Hunters and I love how he wants that one biker guy's vest from the bar. Shawn and Gus taking Tanncann to the police station and calling to tell everyone their there only to end up hand cuffed outside the Blueberry and going to the bar only to end up hanging. The two debating over the briefcase/attache then end up wishing they had thought of satchel. As great as he is in the episode given what a nutjob Sorbo is in real life its just even more enjoyable watching him get his butt kicked and go to jail.

• Love 1
On 6/15/2019 at 9:44 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Some of the best episodes are when James gets to do drama. He’s such an underrated actor.

So underrated. He really was lucky to have a role where he got to incorporate so many things- comedy, drama, horror. Not to mention all the episodes he wrote and/or directed.

• Love 4
On 6/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, swanpride said:

The best episodes were when the writers were still aware that Shawn is a genius who acts like an idiot, not an actual idiot.

My favorite opening might be “65 Million Years Off” when Shawn draws the dinosaur, all the time having a conniption and apologizing for its quality. He knows he needs to get on the case.

I also love that episode for when Chief Vick interrupts the intervention. Lassiter not wanting to tell Shawn he was right (a deadpanned “no”) and her expression when she shares that the victim was a paleontologist were so well acted.

• Love 3

So yesterday, Hallmark & Movie Mysteries channel aired season three and part of four for the Labor Day marathon. And they aired the opening credits out of order!

During the season three credits, they showed the scenes from “High Noon-ish” which didn’t air until season four!

Yes, I’m being nitpicky and whiny. I’m blaming the migraine and severe back pain.

Because this network is so hypocritical. They’ll air “damn” and “hell”, but bleep “bitch” stand-alone, but keep the “son of a “ and bleepe“ass” but keep the “wipe” in asswipe. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

But Shawn and Gus make up for it. I ❤️❤️❤️their love and friendship for each other.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

The new service will be free for Comcast subscribers - which lets me out.  (And ad-free/ad supported versions for the rest of us.)  I'm curious what is going to happen with the library titles like Frasier and Cheers, which we watch on Netflix and CBS All Access. 

1 minute ago, tessaray said:

The new service will be free for Comcast subscribers - which lets me out.  (And ad-free/ad supported versions for the rest of us.)  I'm curious what is going to happen with the library titles like Frasier and Cheers, which we watch on Netflix and CBS All Access. 

So. Free for me then. But it's still BULLSHIT. It's going to get to the point where all these streaming services will be too expensive and then consumers will cut the whatever you want to call it, and go back to the cord.

• Love 4

It's good that they recognize Psych as a draw but I'm annoyed that the new service means we have to wait until it debuts to see the next movie.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/psych-the-movie-2-pushed-delayed-2020-moves-to-peacock-nbcu-streamer-gets-title-1202736713/ 

But a big AWW... for the new title and synopsis.

Written, directed and executive produced by Psych creator Steve Franks, Psych 2: Lassie Come Home focuses on Lassiter, who is ambushed on the job and left for dead. In a vintage Psych-style Hitchcockian nod, he begins to see impossible happenings around his recovery clinic. Shawn (James Roday) and Gus (Dulé Hill) return to Lassie’s side in Santa Barbara and are forced to navigate the personal, the professional and possibly the supernatural. Separated from their new lives in San Francisco, Shawn and Gus find themselves unwelcome in their old stomping grounds as they secretly untangle a twisted case without the benefit of the police, their loved ones or the quality sourdough bakeries of the Bay Area. What they uncover will change the course of their relationships forever.

• Love 4

It does sound perfect, and I am so glad to see Tim back.  I will be sure to see the movie one way or another but I really hope NBC's service won't be as boneheaded as CBS all access which wouldn't even let me sign up for a trial without giving my name and date of birth.   Sorry networks, I've been hacked enough times in my life already.

I imagine that Google Play or someone will have the movie eventually.  Or it could end up on an affordable DVD as Psych the Musical did.

• Love 1

Whoa, weird timing.  TBH, I never gave "Psych" much thought.  Without having seen an episode, I thought it was a silly show.  Now, I just finished bingeing on all 8 seasons, PLUS the movie.  I ended up enjoying the series for its outstanding acting and writing. However, by the end, I disliked Shawn's stupidity and it angered me.  I couldn't understand why people even listened to him.  If I encountered someone who didn't even know grade-school facts, I would simply walk away.  I liked Jules, but couldn't understand why she would devote even a minute's worth of time with Shawn. Massive deadbeat for a boyfriend.  I finished the movie a couple of days ago and loved Gus' stalker Selene, she was a hoot and was sorry that Lassiter, due to an illness, was unable to appear other than his small appearance when Jules called him to admit her less than Lassi-like by-the-book professionalism.  I was able to watch the entire series on Amazon Prime but would definitely NOT pay for yet another streaming service simply to watch another "Psych" movie. 🎶Suck it!!! 🎶

22 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

However, by the end, I disliked Shawn's stupidity and it angered me.  I couldn't understand why people even listened to him.  If I encountered someone who didn't even know grade-school facts, I would simply walk away.  

If you watched all the seasons, you know that Shawn wasn’t dumb when we first met him-or during the first four seasons. He was smart and cunning and wasn’t a moocher.

Why they turned him into such a caricature, I’ll never understand.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If you watched all the seasons, you know that Shawn wasn’t dumb when we first met him-or during the first four seasons. He was smart and cunning and wasn’t a moocher.

Why they turned him into such a caricature, I’ll never understand.

So, it wasn't just me that saw a degradation in Shawn's maturity level, intelligence, and an increase in narcissistic behavior over the course of the series?

• Love 1

Nah, it wasn't just you....I still pretend that the show ended with the last episode which showed the original child-shawn (which was mid-season four or five, I think...directly after the episode at the Nigara Falls when Shawn and Juliet finally got together), but realistically speaking, they had already dumbed him down too much in season 4. But there were still enough good episodes around the time.

Season 2 is easily the best.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So. Free for me then. But it's still BULLSHIT. It's going to get to the point where all these streaming services will be too expensive and then consumers will cut the whatever you want to call it, and go back to the cord.

Exactly! Its absolute Bullshit that you need to have all these different streaming services just to watch the Psych movie or a few movies or tv series. Sooner or later I think its going to be sooner that its going to fall apart because it will be two expensive and because Disney's set to roll out their soon most if not all their content and what they own will no longer be available anywhere but Disney. That's a lot of shows and movies. The whole point was it was cheaper plus you only needed maybe one or two services and get tons of shows and/or movies to watch. Soon its going to be the opposite you need a lot of different streaming services to watch a bunch of shows for more money and less amount of shows then before. They don't really seem to see how that's going drive people back to TV rather then make them all the money they think their going to get with all the different streaming services.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

So, it wasn't just me that saw a degradation in Shawn's maturity level, intelligence, and an increase in narcissistic behavior over the course of the series?

Nope not just you. After season four he suddenly drops in all of that. He becomes an annoying manchild who mooches off everyone. Juliet takes a hit too they completely changed her back story and made her put so much in the truth. Putting Henry in charge of the consultants was also a bad idea.  

Ironically I didn't watch Psych in the beginning because I assumed Shawn would be like the guy he was in the later seasons. I ended up watching and surprised that yes he could be childish. But he was really smart and intelligence.  And really fun. You compare the characters in the Ying-Yang trilogy. They are each so much different and better then the rest of the later seasons. Each character was really great. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Easy, the writing staff of TV shows tend to change every four seasons or so. And obviously the newer writers didn't understand that Shawn just pretends to be a careless idiot instead of actually being one.

I pay attention to credits, and the show had the same writers throughout the entire series. But yes, I do agree that when new writers come in, some shows, they don't read the show Bible, or didn't watch the show, or for whatever reason, and you get characters regressing or doing things they would never do.

• Love 1

Maybe the writers run out of ideas than? Especially in season 2 the cases were actually pretty complex. they were good old criminal cases which were a lot of fun to figure out. Later on they were so easy, you had to be stupid to not figure them out with some basic research....

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I pay attention to credits, and the show had the same writers throughout the entire series. But yes, I do agree that when new writers come in, some shows, they don't read the show Bible, or didn't watch the show, or for whatever reason, and you get characters regressing or doing things they would never do.

8 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Maybe the writers run out of ideas than? Especially in season 2 the cases were actually pretty complex. they were good old criminal cases which were a lot of fun to figure out. Later on they were so easy, you had to be stupid to not figure them out with some basic research....

I've really wondered what it is. So many shows not just Psych run into that problem. The first few seasons are great and then just goes bad, dumb, and/or weird. Characters regressing or becoming their worse qualities. I don't know if they run out of ideas or if its just laziness. If your out of ideas. Read, read newspapers, books, and watch movies for more ideas on crimes. Leverage based all of their bad guys off of real life bad guys. I lean more towards laziness. The second and last of Ying-Yang trilogy was season four and five they manage to have each character at the top of their game.  Each one played a big part, and showed how capable they were. If they could do that for those episodes why not all the others? 

Most of the time it is simply because the premise is eventually played out. Leverage was certainly an example for this, there are only so many variations of a con you can come up with, it becomes repetitive at a point, and they ended the show just in time before it would have jumped the shark and even managed to do it on a high note (I still want a Leverage International show/movie/whatever). But with Psych that wasn't quite the problem. Maybe the writers were no longer excited about the subject? That can become a problem. If you write daily more or less the same thing, you eventually end up in a rut.

• Love 1

I blame a lot of the writing on the (eventually) artificial conflict between Henry and Shawn. Yes, Shawn was drifting and a bit of a slacker when the show begins but it took a lot of effort to keep him there. 

Still, Gus and Shawn's friendship was one of the best things on TV and I never got tired of it.

• Love 4

In the later season's, Roday took a turn in writing some of the episodes. Could this addition contribute in any way towards the decline of Shawn's civility and adult behavior?  The Yin/Yang story arc was fun, especially when it was primarily Ally Sheedy, but Roday directed some episodes also, during this time.

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

In the later season's, Roday took a turn in writing some of the episodes. Could this addition contribute in any way towards the decline of Shawn's civility and adult behavior?  The Yin/Yang story arc was fun, especially when it was primarily Ally Sheedy, but Roday directed some episodes also, during this time.

No. Roday was writing since season one. Not regularly, but he did write. And the ones he wrote were the better episodes.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Roday was writing since season one. Not regularly, but he did write. And the ones he wrote were the better episodes.

Interesting.  Thanks for your response.  Did any others in the cast write?   Dulé Hill is very talented and was stellar in his characterization of Gus, did he ever write any episodes?  I suppose I should just Google the answer, but . I can't help but be curious why there was such a drastic character shift for Shawn.

Just now, Jacks-Son said:

Interesting.  Thanks for your response.  Did any others in the cast write?   Dulé Hill is very talented and was stellar in his characterization of Gus, did he ever write any episodes?  I suppose I should just Google the answer, but . I can't help but be curious why there was such a drastic character shift for Shawn.

No, Dulé never wrote any episodes, but both he and Shawn became producers in the...third season I think?

I have no idea why they turned Shawn into such a jerk and loser when he was so funny and charming and smart to begin with since the pilot.

• Love 2

It's interesting, the idea that it's hard to maintain good stories and character writing over many seasons.    Also interesting, as already stated, that Leverage may have ended just in time.  I loved that show, especially its characters who were just so completely inhabited by the cast, for lack of a better term, and though I missed the show when it ended, it probably would have suffered if it had lasted much longer.  Recently, Elementary just ended in a shortened 7th season, with a last-minute renewal by CBS after Season 6, and though some fans were unhappy about a 13 episode final season, it probably also helped things not to get too stretched out.  Shows that have run a really long time, like the original Law and Order, have certainly benefited by a revolving cast...

So while I understand what the fans are saying, and while there were some aspects of the later Psych episodes that I liked - they finally made Lassie more three dimensional, though you can argue that it took them long enough to do so - I agree that Shawn became irritating as written, though for me the bigger issue is that Juliet came to accept that he was a fraud and seemed to take a "don't tell me" attitude about his methods.   That bothered me more than anything.  

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

I've been looking forward to the second movie since it was announced and am holding out hope it will eventually air on USA.  BUT, by doing this they are likely to reduce the ratings and therefore put a third movie in jeopardy.  The original announcement said it would be shown on USA and it had better be. 

• Love 4
On 9/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, roseha said:

I agree that Shawn became irritating as written, though for me the bigger issue is that Juliet came to accept that he was a fraud and seemed to take a "don't tell me" attitude about his methods.   That bothered me more than anything.  

This shocked me also.  Her attitude was as:  "long as you don't talk about it with others, I'll just pretend it never came up".  Yet when Shawn went through his schtick they continually exchanged looks and she simply rolled her eyes.  This after claiming that everything was a lie and storming off. Her disappointment seemingly lasting an episode.

• Love 1

I feel like in the later seasons they got a little too excited about doing homages and when they started doing more serious episodes too they overcompensated on the comedic aspects which led to some excessive self-centeredness and stupidness. I mean, Shawn could always be selfish and something of a genius ditz, but they took it too far and the quality of episodes and of the character dropped.

Sigh. Now I feel like I have to say nice things about the last 4 seasons. Lassie and Marlowe, Shawn and Jules when they had their act together (and James and Maggie being mature professionals even after they broke up), 100 Clues, Dual Spires, one of the best musical episodes of television, Shawn being mature enough to state that the reason he doesn’t want to give up his fake psychic act isn’t because of money or legal repercussions but because he wants to keep doing good, and he was willing to tell Vick the truth to keep the relationship.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 3

Ugh. I came to see if there was news about the movie, and now I'm pissed off. Not only do we now have to jump through trial/sign-up hoops, but we have to wait all the way until April at the earliest to see a movie that's already finished? In what world?

• Love 1